5.0 out of 5 stars The Epic 4G might just win this.
I have been playing around with both phones and because I belong to Sprint for the rest of my life's tenure, I shall let you know that these are the two best phones available in the market but let's compare which is better at what.

Appearance - The Evo 4G does not have a slide-out QWERTY keypad like the Epic. The Epic despite the keyboard is about an ounce...
Published on August 31, 2010 by Harkanwar Anand

3.0 out of 5 stars 10 Days with the Epic and the Evo
The initial plan was for me to upgrade to the Epic and my mom to the Evo (family plan) That way I got to get hands on with both phones and make my decision. Unfortunately, ma wasn't eligible for an upgrade so my master plan was foiled. Damn you Sprint, Obviously with the Evo being out of stock everywhere.. I was happy to get the Epic, since it was the phone I was leaning...
Published on September 25, 2010 by Eric Martin

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic vs. EVO Comparison, December 10, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I thought I'd highlight the difference between the EVO & the Epic as it was a tough decision for me,-(and honestly all the comparisons online out there are pretty worthless IMO). This review of course is more so geared towards highlighting why I think the epic is the way to go.

Price: $50 Price Premium over EVO - let's be honest- for a top of the line device that will be by your side close to 24/7, what's $50?. (obviously a nudging factor, though hey you want the best phone!)Also you can get it pretty much anywhere for much less outside of Sprint.

Build Quality- It seems like there's somehow a consensus that this EVO "wins" in having that premium feel. While I agree that other phones such as the IPhone 4 definitely win this over the Epic, in my opinion the Evo has about the same "premium feel" to it. Both have a little more plastic than what I would like. It is also worth noting that other reviewers believe the EPIC has notably better build quality than the other carrier's Galaxy S variants. Many would agree that the evo "looks" more premium, and I can see that. Though let me say that after putting Sprint's black case on it, the phone just looks so classy/premium now. Samsung Epic 4G Galaxy S Black Phone Protector [Sprint Retail Packaging]

Keyboard/No Keyboard - Quick Summary: Although Swype is awesome, a keyboard can be a crucial luxury in certain situations. Though as with all keyboards some "keyboard wiggle" is inevitable. Especially when you have a tacky rubber case, when you take it out of your pocket you can sometimes feel the keyboard wiggle around a bit when taking it out. Though once it's out of your pocket, a case close to eliminates wiggling when it's in your hand. This all sounds bad, though it's pretty minor, just a steady reminder as to why a "slab" phone would be better. Play with both in store, you will quickly decide how much of a factor this is to you.

Screen- Epic destroys, destroys, destroys the Evo in terms of screen quality. In fact one of HTC's known cost cutters, is that (some of) their displays only support 16,000 colors (like the Evo). I believe the Epic's is around 4 Million, and of course you probably know of the Epic's stunning contrast ratio. You practically cannot tell the difference between "screen off" black, and black in a picture. Reviewers like to say that this is great for "watching movies" though I have no intention of ever watching movies on my device. Rest assured you can "enjoy" the Super-AMOLED screen in everyday use situations too (High contrast simply is very appealing to the human eye). It really makes the device a lot more of a pleasure to use. It's quite funny comparing the screen to other androids,including the EVO of course.

(note about super AMOLED). They use 90% less power when display black BUT 3x more power when displaying white. If you like a lot of web-browsing the EVO could be a better choice as the larger screen is good for browsing, and I believe the LCD will be more power efficient for all that white space.

Processing- While the Snapdragon of the EVO's is good, it's worth noting it's the oldest 1 GHZ processor on the market. The Epic's newer Hummingbird apparently is similar, though with an upgraded integrated graphics controller (or something of the sort), that makes it much better for gaming. On a related note the gaming selection is horrible on Android, as IMO the only truly good and polished game is Angry Birds, somehow the iPhone has android still cornered on this front (i blame the kids with ipod Touches). Overall it's like comparing a 300HP car to a 400HP. The 400hp is the bigger beast, though 300 is still pretty blazingly fast and would you really notice that much commuting to work?

Android Updates- This is a tricky issue, and the one that I hope somebody keeps track of because this should be a deciding issue. Manufacturers have an incentive not to give updates, as if people keep getting new software for free, they'd probably be less excited to go out and buy another $600 phone. In a recent PR situation, Samsung stated that they "weren't sure" if the Galaxy S is getting gingerbread (2.3) . As you may know the Epic still doesn't have 2.2 (froyo), while the EVO has had for quite some time. While this is not promising, Samsung does cry "administrative issues", and I believe that even HTC doesn't have a perfect record in being clear with updates.

Skin- (the thing that manufacturers change to the phone to make it look different). I've heard good things about HTC's "Sense", and I didn't think I'd like Samsungs "TouchWiz", though after using it for quite some time I think it's pretty good with a few smart and pretty touches.

Summary: Choose the epic because..... gorgeous screen. The screen is how you interact with the phone, and really it's the "feature" that'd you use most. It really is worth it, the icing on the cake is that the Epic has the superior processor, better battery life, better quality camera, and it's easier to hold in your hand. The Evo was the beast, though it will very likely be retired before the Epic, and really besides the slightly more screen estate, "slate" appearance, it really doesn't have that much on the Epic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Technology is amazing, September 3, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Amazing and still surprised everyday with all of the functions. I went from a 9700 Blackberry to the Epic and I am so impressed with the applications and the quality of the phone. The best part of the phone is the 4G capability. So much faster to connect to the internet. The quality of the camera is equal to a digital camera and the clarity will shock you! It is a bit bigger than I had hoped for, but the overall appearance and functions make it worth the transition. I have only had it for a few days, and I still have not learned half the options this phone offers. I am very pleased with this purchase and look forward to learning the tricks of this wonderful device. Thank you Samsung for such a brilliant idea!

2.0 out of 5 stars The Best Phone You Shouldn't Buy, February 16, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Please see updates at the end of this review

The pros are it has a gorgeous screen, the Super AMOLED is amazing. It's built in keyboard is well-made and easy to use. It is comfortable. The glass on it is rugged and does not scratch easily. The camera takes much better pictures than you'd expect for a phone. It is a very, Very impressive piece of hardware. Normally it would be the best phone on the market.

However...

Support is spotty. The downloadable manual is extensive, but the Index and Table of Contents are poorly done, so you have to slog through it a lot. Help at Sprint Stores is hit or miss. There are a few knowledgeable techs if you can get to them, but the floor people are mostly interested in selling. You'll find one who'll say they are expert on the phone and then go blank on anything more complicated than, "Where's the 'On' button". I had an experience when I first got the phone where I waited for my appointment and got a guy who told me that he was super-knowledgeable on the phone. I asked how to get to Task Manager. He stared at the phone for a while and then said it was an app and I'd have to download it (in fact it's built in) and he didn't have time to show me. He then just turned and walked away, went in the back for a while and then came out ignored me and tried to sell accessories to someone else. The people on the phone are more knowledgeable, but they still have to look a lot up. One wonders if Samsung will even be interested in 2.3 for this phone, let alone any of the later versions.

UPDATE 8/17/2011: Finally got the 2.2 update (a year after 2.2 was out)and have been living with it for a few months before I did another update.

I can report that with the update, the features that were supposed to work out of the box are now working, more or less. This makes the phone more livable. However, a number of applications/functions already working still work but are now more cumbersome than before.

For example, the keyboards now have less flexibility for setting up error correction. Or when you make a phone call, the dialpad disappears unless you press the button to bring it back. Say at the end of your call you want to make another one. The dialpad has disappeared again, all you've got is the "call" "add to contacts" and "message buttons. To make another call you have to select "home" again, then "phone", and then dial your next number. With the browser , you now MUST have a home page, Sprint or not. This means that when you launch the browser, you must either wait for the page to load, or stop the load and then press the bookmarks/history symbol to load the page you really want. You can now only go to your bookmarks by scrolling up to the top of the page, whereas before you could get there by using the menu form anywhere. Auto rotation of the screen still works, but is very slow unless you recalibrate the hardware. This involves setting the phone on a flat surface, launching the calibrator and insuring the calibration spot is centered on the bulls-eye. Pretty much the same as before EXCEPT: the calibration now only works properly if you run it with the phone Face Down! In other words, you have to do it with the phone in a position where You Can't See The Necessary Screen! The way to get around this is run it face down on a table, squat down, and carefully slide it partly over the edge of the able so you can look at part of the screen from below. Sheesh!

The biggest thing, though, is what so many have mentioned: Battery. The life is Extremely short. Example: I turn the phone on in the morning, do a few web searches and reads and the rest of the time make a few cell calls, always remembering to turn off any application (including contacts) or the browser as soon as I finish using it. Otherwise it lasts 6 hours or less, if I'm lucky. This is key: As soon as you finish any app or function, Stop It Immediately. Make sure your home screen shows black and not a picture. Do not have any pictures for your contacts. I really mean this! 4G (that you're paying for whether your area has it or not) is essentially unusable, because if you let it run, the phone will be pretty much dead in ~ 2 1/2 hours. Part of this is how much power this thing consumes, but part is the battery itself. They have a life of about 9 months, at which point they start depleting much faster to the point of ridiculousness, and have to be replaced. So far, Sprint has replaced batteries under the service plan, that isn't mandatory that you buy, but if you don't you don't get much help at all.

Remember, after 30 days, you're stuck with it for 2 years. It remains a great piece of hardware, but given the state of its software/firmware its potential remains unfulfilled. This is my first Samsung phone, there's a good chance it will be my last.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good - new smart phone user, September 6, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Let me begin by stating that I am new to the smart phone market. I have always gotten one of the cheaper cell phones at the Sprint store. After years of frustration, I decided that it was time to make the move to a new phone. Having experienced only the simplest of web browsing and e-mail features of my old phones, I was expecting big things from the Epic. It did not disappoint.

I will freely admit I chose to buy the Epic on the launch day mainly because everywhere is out of the Evo. I didn't feel I needed to spend the extra 50$. I am still not sure if it is, but 50$ spread out over the life of my Epic isn't really that much of a cost difference.

Being new to these kinds of phones I really wasn't sure if I needed the hard keyboard or not. I will say I used it more in the beginning, but I do still use it. The SWYPE virtual keyboard had me a little intimidated at first, but am texting one-handed with ease now.

One thing I do think the Evo has is better widgets. I just don't like the aesthetic of the samsung widgets. I am sure some of you will/do like them, they just are not for me.

The big issue about these phones has been the battery.

* If you are expecting to leave your phone off the charger for a couple of days and get by. DON'T

* You WILL need to plug it in every night.
(if you talk briefly and turn off WiFi, 4g, GPS and don't go online you might be ok, but face it
we bought these things to do exactly that)

* With moderate mixed usage I make it through the day. I charge it every night. Not a big deal.

* Built in Task Manager is great for killing battery sucking apps.

One feature I love, is the cartoon option for taking photos. It will take pictures in the style of A Scanner Darkly and Waking Life.

4.0 out of 5 stars April 2012 - A fine slider, but superseded; root it if you've got it, March 18, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
The Epic is a capable slider phone on the Sprint network. More recent phones have surpassed it in speed, however, so it's of no interest unless you absolutely need the hardware keyboard.

I've had an Epic for about a year. I've used a variety competing Android models and Apple's line of iPhones up to the iPhone 4.

SOFTWARE:

As shipped, the Epic comes with Android 2.3 and Samsung's TouchWiz interface. Android recently jumped from 2.3 to 4.0, though many new phones not from Google are still shipped with 2.3. Each upgrade brings speed and stability improvements. Samsung's upgrade cycle is much, much longer than HTC and others; the Epic will never be updated to 4.0.

TouchWiz is a Samsung 'skin' that adds graphical and usability tweaks to the Android interface. It slows the interface down a bit and makes it look more like an iPhone. You can download an alternate launcher if you don't like it.

The major advantage of an Android phone is Google integration. Coming from a Palm Centro, I exported my contacts to my Google account in vCard format. Within a short time, they automatically downloaded to the Epic. Linking my Facebook account had the same effect. Calendar and GMail operate seamlessly, as do the former's reminder notifications. The effect of all this is to minimize downtime in the event of a broken handset. Switching activations with Sprint and syncing a new Epic took me all of five minutes.

In contrast to the iPhone, the Epic (and any Android phone) is also capable of using a variety of software keyboards. It ships with Swype. Swype lets you trace out the letters of a word instead of tapping them. In use, it's faster than the Epic's hardware keyboard. You can download other keyboards that dynamically change the size of letters, or that provide a pop-up list of words as you type.

Most of the time, you won't bother with the hardware keyboard. It's most useful when you're not typing dictionary words (e.g., passwords), when you want maximum screen area (answering emails, remote desktop, games with key input), and when you want to type something precisely that wouldn't conform to normal grammatical rules (terminal consoles).

BUILD:

Durability is encouraging. The front facade is all Gorilla Glass, which still looks new after a year. There's almost no friction. The rear has a soft-touch plastic cover that's impossible to scratch with a fingernail. The ground, yes. Fingernails, no. Beneath the cover is a 16 GB microSD card that augments 512 MB of user-accessible storage. Heavy video users may still miss the 8GB or 16GB of on-board memory that comes with other phones. 1280x720 video takes about 90 MB per minute.

The keyboard slide mechanism has a strong spring action. The keyboard itself is excellent. The keys have adequate spacing between themselves and the base of the screen and a firm clicking action. The only misstep is the dedicated button for emoticons that should have been an "@" key. Coming from a Centro, I found it a bit large for thumbs. Blackberry users will feel the same; it's too big to lend itself to no-look input. The conventional layout is helpful for typing emails, though, and the direction pad is well-suited to console emulators.

Of the three Epics I've used, one had a problem with the vibrate function. Something on the inside would rattle in a cheap and nasty way. There's also some variance in just how tight the gaps are between the screen and the slider base. One phone had essentially no gap, a second was large enough to be disconcerting, and a third was in the middle. With any phone, but doubly so with sliders, check to verify everything works right while you're still within the 30-day exchange window. If you decide it's unacceptable after that point, you'll receive a refurbished replacement instead of a new one.

I've dropped my phone 5 or 6 times. The back pops off, the battery falls out, and the phone skitters along the ground. Damage is almost nonexistent. Other phones (e.g., the iPhone) will happily crack their screens from the same drop.

SPEED:

The Epic has a moderately fast CPU and a fast GPU. The Evo and the iPhone 4 have slower GPUs. Recent phones with dual-core CPUs will put it to shame, but as a practical matter, the Epic is fast enough. All games I've tried work fine. Trapster is the only app it won't dispatch with aplomb.

Which is not to say the stock interface is as smooth as that on an iPhone. Android isn't quite as optimized, particularly when papered over with a manufacturer skin. Everything is a bit less immediate. Scrolling will hitch ever so slightly in the interface, and more with graphics-heavy webpages. That exceptional responsiveness characteristic of the iPhone 4 and the 3GS prior to iOS updates, Google and Samsung haven't quite mastered.

SCREEN:

A superlative, perhaps the Epic's best feature. It's an 800x480 pixel PenTile AMOLED. Let's break that down in comparison to the iPhone 4 and the Evo.

800x480 - The iPhone is a 960x640. A handful of recent Android phones are 1280x720. The extra resolution is apparent with web pages zoomed out and console programs. Both are readable, but one will look smoother. The advantage disappears elsewhere. Search 'engadget iphone amoled' for a comparison with screenshots.

AMOLED - LCDs use colored elements in front of a uniform, screen-sized backlight. AMOLED screens skip the backlight and use individual colored LEDs.

PenTile - Because blue and red LEDs wear out faster than the green ones, the Epic's screen uses an RGBG subpixel arrangement instead of a standard RGB array. Samsung counts two subpixels for each pixel; everyone else counts three. That's a lot of gibberish to say that small details on the Epic's screen are slightly rougher than on the Evo screen, despite their identical resolutions.

The use of AMOLED has a few implications. First, the good: the contrast ratio is spectacular. Black is a pure, deep black. Viewed head-on, you can't distinguish the screen from the black bezel. The black on an LCD is, by comparison, a dark slate. Color gamut is extremely high. Colors appear much stronger. They aren't necessarily accurate, but they do make every non-AMOLED phone look dull.

Now, the bad: while AMOLED is supposedly capable of 24-bit color (smooth gradients), my Epic shows banding in gradients. It looks like 16-bit color. There is no dithering. The iPhone and others do better with color transitions.

Unlike an LCD, power use is directly proportional to the brightness of the screen. Black images use very little power because the LEDs turn off. White screens use a lot: three times that of the iPhone in absolute wattage terms because thousands of LEDs are less efficient than a single backlight. If you're browsing a lot of light-colored websites, the battery will run down much more quickly than if you were just scrolling through a dark interface. This is not a problem that can be solved with software optimization. Full white for this screen pulls 1.1W. With a 3.7V 1500 mAh battery, that equates to just under 5 hours of use, allotting no power to the rest of the phone. The only way to bump the numbers is to lower the screen brightness. In practice, many apps have inverted color schemes that negate this difference.

Maximum screen brightness is average. LCDs will be brighter, though it hardly matters because outdoor visibility is determined by minimizing reflections, not emitted light, and the Epic is plenty bright indoors. Outdoors, all three phones are bad, but usable.

BATTERY LIFE:

It isn't stellar. If you're in Airplane mode with the screen off, it'll last days. With network connectivity enabled and data sync with a Google account, it'll sit for maybe fifteen hours with no use at all, depending on how strong the cell signal is in your area. With heavy use, you'll see four hours. With graphical games, even less. 4G is rumored to take a heavy toll on the battery if you're moving.

But there's a lot of room for improvement, particularly in standby time. Everything I'm about to say will void your warranty if Sprint gets wind of it. I've left my own Epic stock for that reason, but if you're willing to get your hands dirty, you can have something much better.

ROOTING:

All Android phones ship with a limited set of functions available to the user. Bypassing the restrictions on how you can interact with OS is called rooting. With `root' access, you can change everything, up to and including all of the Android system files. The Epic is, after all, just a handheld computer. Were there a version of Windows for ARM processors, you could conceivably install that on it.

It's useful to think of Android as a collection of components. The Android version (e.g., 2.3) is a package released by Google with applications, system files, and a kernel that all match and work together. This package is distributed in a single file called a ROM. Because Google publishes the Android source code, the Android community can build their own ROM packages with customizations.

The extent of the customization dictates what the modification will be called. If it simply replaces system graphics to give a new look, it's a theme. If it replaces the installed application set and the core system files, which may or may not include a modified kernel, then it's a ROM.

For our purposes, the kernel is a useful focus because, on many Android phones, it governs the clock speed of the CPU. The remaining components of the ROM dictate the appearance and functionality of the Android OS version.

To change these two pieces on a new Epic, the process is like so:

* Restart the phone in Download mode.
* Using ODIN, a simple flashing utility that runs on a Windows computer connected to the Epic with a USB cable, flash a pre-rooted Android 2.2 system image.
* Drop a new ROM, which is a single large ZIP file, with your preferred alterations on the Epic's SD card.
* Reboot the phone and enter ClockWorkMod, a new boot loader part of the pre-rooted image, and `Install' the ZIP file.

The new ROM may have: new wallpapers, sounds, transparency effects, customized program launchers, transparent tethering, different applications, battery optimizations, and so on. Custom kernels may allow the CPU to be overclocked and underclocked more easily. These changes increase the battery life to in excess of 15 hours with moderate use. The user interface reaches iPhone 4 levels of responsiveness.

I've intentionally left out explanatory detail in the steps above. You can find it all on XDA Developers and Android Central, as well as alternative methods for phones with data to be preserved. The entire process takes about ten minutes and absolutely transforms the Epic. Consider: the popular Android distribution called CM9 brings Android 4.0 to the Epic. It runs far better than any previous version, including those offered by Samsung.

USEFUL APPLICATIONS:

While not strictly about this phone, there are a few applications I've found unusually useful or well-executed:

Juice Defender - Automatically disables radios not in use. Also sets a global refresh interval for all programs that use background data. Major improvements in idle battery life.

Screen Filter - This tamps down the minimum screen brightness to improve your eyes and your battery life. It can be enabled as a one-touch widget.

Wifi File Explorer - This lets you browse and change the phone contents over a wifi connection with a browser. See also: SwiFTP (better for bulk changes), Websharing (similar).

Remote Web Desktop - Wifi browser-based desktop environment that lets you do most major phone functions on your computer. See also: LazyDroid.

PrinterShare - Print to any printer over wifi.

Opera Mobile - An excellent mobile browser for Android. UI responsiveness is best-in-class. Also features Opera's in-house page compression enabled.

Torque - Coupled with a $20 OBD-II reader, it gives real-time stats of every output from an ECU.

Andie-Graph - A free TI-82/83/85/86 emulator. Identical to the originals, though you'll have to Google the ROM images for each one you want to use.

EPIC vs. EVO 4G vs. SHIFT:

If you've settled on Sprint, you need to find a Sprint store to try these phones out. They have different strengths, and what you think you want, you may not. Note: this is a legacy comparison. As of early 2012, the Epic 4G Touch is probably the best Sprint phone.

The Evo is thin, blocky, and has an enormous screen. The pocket lump doesn't protrude like an Epic, though you'll definitely see the squarish form factor in skinny jeans. Build quality is high; it feels like a solid object. It's roughly as fast as an Epic. Battery life is equally bad. Screen contrast and color isn't as nice, but text is a bit smoother. The Evo is also capable of HDMI-out, and HTC releases Android updates faster than Samsung.

The Shift I tried was simply bad. The Epic screen has the ideal size; the Shift is too small. It's also molasses slow. The Sprint store demo phone was truly awful, taking literally twice as long as or more than the Epic at everything. Even simple things, like grabbing a GPS signal. Screen contrast is worse than the Evo, and color, slightly so. It looks washed out compared to the Epic. The keyboard has totally decent key response, but the top row is wedged too close to the screen bottom. The rest of the build appears cheap and chintzy. The Shift's lone advantages appear to be HTC's update cycle, a slightly more pocketable size, and better battery life.

Put another way, Sprint's choices are much the same as they were six months ago: Evo or Epic. For my money, the Epic is the best of the lot, and when rooted, it's competitive with or superior to anything available today. Stock to stock, though, a patient buyer would benefit from holding out for three months until the dual-core phones arrive on Sprint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Switched from iPhone. Couldn't be happier., September 5, 2010
Tai Chi (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I never really got used to the iPhone's virtual keyboard, and I've had my eye on this QWERTY beaut for a while. Although I had to pay to get out of my AT&T contract, I couldn't be happier.

This phone has all the functionality and wow factor of my iPhone 3GS, plus a slide-out physical keyboard and without all the irritating restrictions that Apple places on its devices. I've actually been able to do some serious typing in a text editing app, something I couldn't do on my iPhone when the virtual keyboard took up so much screen real estate. It's been remarkably refreshing to find that when I connect the phone to the computer it simply presents itself as a standard file system - I don't need iTunes or any other proprietary system to load music, photos, or videos onto my phone. Just copy and paste. Speaking of videos, I've been able to play my HD mp4, avi, and mkv files on the phone with no problem whatsoever (although there is a size limit to the files). No conversion was necessary, and the movies look gorgeous on the AMOLED screen. Also, and perhaps most awesome of all, I've been able to install a free NES emulator. I've spent way more time than I'd care to admit playing the original Super Mario Bros. on my new phone. As far as the Sprint service goes, it certainly has not been inferior to AT&T's.

In short, if advanced smartphone functionality and a physical keyboard are important to you, it's hard to see how you could do better right now than this phone.

2.0 out of 5 stars This is difficult to review., January 18, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I have had this phone for 2-3 months now. and there are a lot of things i like about it, the screen is absolutely beautiful, crisp color and bright. the keypad keys are a little far apart but that is no big deal, its very useful and easy to use. it is a fast phone and i only need to restart every so often (i have had phones i needed to restart at least once a day or more). Call quality is good, GPS is a little off but its close enough to not bother me, and the battery life is tons better then i thought. i can comfortably stream Pandora for 6 hours and still have battery life, not much but enough.

my problem with this phone and why i would NOT recommend it to others is Samsung's ability to update their product. There is a major update currently for this phone and it has been reported that it will not happen for several reasons. Mostly $$$$, Samsung wanting $$$$ and carriers not willing to pay.

All other major carriers of Android devices that have the ability to update have done so.

I will avoid Samsung products from here on out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Former EVO owner, September 21, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
So, after owning the HTC EVO for 3 weeks I switched to this phone for 3 reasons:

1. Physical keyboard.

-You just can't escape the practicality of a physical keyboard, and the EPIC happens to have one of the best keyboards made yet.

2. User Interface.

-Samsung's "touchwhiz" UI is so much more pleasant to use than HTC sense. It has a native task manager, it syncs your photos with picasa, and it works very well with google voice. HTC sense is very cluttered, messy, it has redundant apps and redundant notifications with google voice.

3. The screen.

You get 16 million colors with the EPIC, vs. 65,000 on the EVO. C'mon. This screen will turn heads!

and, finally, I'll add one more reason

4. The Sexy.

Lets be honest, the EVO is a sexy b*tch. I was never sold on pictures of the EPIC. Thats because pictures do not do the phone justice. This phone has sexy to spare! I love the way it looks. It is very elegant.

I was never excited about my EVO. I'm gushingly in Love with my EPIC. Hope this helps. Thanks!

1.0 out of 5 stars Epic 4G Compared to Evo and iPhone 3GS, September 11, 2010
Rob Mattheu (Somewhere in the US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Rather than give a lengthy review, I'll simply compare the phone to the Evo (which my wife has) and the iPhone 3GS, which we both just dropped.

Pros of Epic 4G Over iPhone 3GS

Gorgeous larger screen (I think it's better looking than the "retinal display" on the iPhone 4)
Data connections are more consistant (streaming works well over 3G, something I never had in Louisville with AT&T)
Swype (an ingenious way of sliding from letter to letter to enter text) and keyboard provide superior data entry options
Signal lock seems better
Contacts more easily sync with Facebook and other cloud options
4G speeds (where available)
More customizable.
Apps are often more quirky and not as restricted as Apple's
Camera is much better with more options.
User accessible memory card.
Can display video, pictures and music over DLNA
Sprint plans are often cheaper for more features.

Cons of Epic 4G Over iPhone 3GS

Battery charging is SLOW when phone is turned on.
Fewer apps available and many are less developed than the iPhone equivalent (Facebook and Evernote are two I find disappointing)
Phone is heavier and less compact
Android updates are up to carrier and manufacturer, so your phone may receive OS later than another android phone.
Phone doesn't have automatic dictionary for non Swype entry.

Pros of Epic 4G over Sprint's HTC Evo

More comfortable form factor
Display is much sharper and more colorful
Swype is preinstalled
Slideout keyboard
Sprint's Touchwiz Android Interface is more like iPhone than the Evo's Sense
Camera has more fun features out of the box and takes better pictures (in my experience)
Camera button on phone itself.
Better graphic processor.
Lighter phone
Comes with headphones
Top loading USB port with sliding cover (note: Some hate this, some love it.)

Cons Epic 4G compared to Sprint's HTC Evo

Fewer case options
Battery life seems to be less (YMMV)
Slower to charge
Evo seems more solid since it is one piece
Evo looks more impressive to outsiders
Sense UI from HTC has more widgets and options available and is less locked down than Touchwiz
Runs Android 2.1 and not 2.2.

Overall, I love my Epic 4G. It's a well built phone and I prefer it over the Evo. If you're switching to Sprint, both are great phones to choose from. You may want to wait until the 4G has the bugs worked out since it just came out last week.

UPDATE 1/2/2012 -- Reduced from 4 stars to 1 star.

My wife's Evo has given her no problems besides a lack of storage space (primarily due to clutter of apps she rarely uses).

Me... not so lucky. After months of waiting for Gingerbread 2.2 update (which my wife had forever on her Evo) I was greeted with some new surprises, not the least of which are horrible battery life and a GPS that now refuses to work, even on a clear day. According to the Sprint support sites and many Android phone sites, I am not alone in these problems, nor does there appear to be a simple or permanent fix for most people. I've always bought Samsung products because they appear to offer good value, but recent experiences including this one have made me realize Samsung is great at promoting the new, and terrible about supporting the old. My wife's Evo and my old iPhone 3GS, whatever their faults, worked. The Epic 4G is a great looking phone with horrible software support. Not recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good phone, but no Froyo 2.2, February 6, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
The phone is fine. It's fully functional and the screen is amazing. Major problem I have is with the software. No Froyo 2.2!!! Cmon how long is it going to take to upgrade. Anyway with out 2.2 you are stuck without flash support and saving apps to your SD card. We were promised an upgrade and never got one. Last time I buy a samsung phone. Blah!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›