5.0 out of 5 stars The Epic 4G might just win this.
I have been playing around with both phones and because I belong to Sprint for the rest of my life's tenure, I shall let you know that these are the two best phones available in the market but let's compare which is better at what.

Appearance - The Evo 4G does not have a slide-out QWERTY keypad like the Epic. The Epic despite the keyboard is about an ounce...
Published on August 31, 2010 by Harkanwar Anand

3.0 out of 5 stars 10 Days with the Epic and the Evo
The initial plan was for me to upgrade to the Epic and my mom to the Evo (family plan) That way I got to get hands on with both phones and make my decision. Unfortunately, ma wasn't eligible for an upgrade so my master plan was foiled. Damn you Sprint, Obviously with the Evo being out of stock everywhere.. I was happy to get the Epic, since it was the phone I was leaning...
Published on September 25, 2010 by Eric Martin

‹ Previous | 14 5 617 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best phone on the market, October 27, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I was evaluating this phone vs the Evo 4G to replace my former Samsung Moment. I spent a few weeks with each and ultimately decided on the Epic for a number of reasons which I'll try to list briefly:

Screen: 16 Million Colors vs the Evo's 64 Thousand Colors. This makes a HUGE difference in the clarity and color accuracy of the screen. Also, it is much more accurate for using Swype.

Speaker: When using the speaker for calls and music, it was much louder and much clearer than the Evo's. Obviously of higher quality.

Microphone: From the people I talked to on the phone, they said the Epic sounded clearer, less garbled. Also, when recording video it seemed to eliminate a lot more background noise.

Camera: While the Evo has a slightly higher Megapixel rating, the Epic's camera is far superior in color and clarity, no questions asked. The flash was comparable between both phones.

User Interface: Surprisingly enough, I found the Epic's TouchWiz interface to be a lot more functionally useful than the Evo's HTC Sense. Sense seemed cluttered and busy, while TouchWiz was simple, easy to figure out, and worked right out of the box.

Swype: This is a huge one... it took quite a bit of finagling to get Swype to work on the Evo, and even with that there's no guarantee it will continue to work or be supported. Because the Epic comes with Swype it will always be supported and stable. Even with the QWERTY Physical Keyboard, I find myself using Swype almost exclusively.

Memory: This is obvious, Epic comes with 16GB while Evo comes with 8GB... for the same price point, it just makes sense.

Headphones: The Samsung Headset that comes with the Epic is actually very high quality. It sounded significantly better than the seemingly identical set I bought for $20 to go with the Evo.

Battery Life: While the battery ratings and most benchmark tests seem to be comparable, I found the Epic to get much longer battery life... maybe this is just me, but that was my experience.

Other thoughts:
The charger / USB cable connects at the top of the phone and makes it a bit difficult to use the Qwerty keyboard while plugged in. Fortunately, Swype eliminates the need for *me* to use the Qwerty most of the time, so this isn't a big issue for me. At worst, just unplug it when you're actually typing.

The Evo already has Android 2.2, the Epic is running 2.1 but is scheduled to be updated to 2.2 by the end of November 2010.

There were some nice widgets that came with Sense, but because of the other points listed above, I didn't feel these were enough to justify keeping it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Epic is pretty epic, September 3, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This is my first android phone and i have to say i am highly impressed by what i see. Although there are already plenty of things already annoying me about this phone. instead of writing a paragraph i will just list some annoyances.

-power button is too small and placed to far back on the phone, which means your always trying to feel your way to it instead of it just being habitual and its the only button you can press to wake it up.

-slide out keyboard is not that comfortable to use, and the space bar is too small. and found the 4 short cut keys on each side not that useful for me. (but thats just me)I'm finding myself using the virtual keys more than i do the physical.

-the back button seems to be a little off, it needs to be touched just the right way just to get it to work. while the other touch sensitive buttons work perfectly.

-the body of this phone feels pretty cheap and for the price im pretty pissed off they couldn't use some sturdy material.

OK now for the positives!

-touchwiz UI is not bad on this phone and adds a nice style to the android interface, and gives you 7 home screens.

-browser is awesome, there are also other browsers you can experiment with, as a former blackberry user the ability to view full webpages is just EPIC!

-the screen is nice and vibrant,the best out there! and very responsive

2.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not for long!, January 25, 2013
KLMCats (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
If your calling plan provides for an annual upgrade, then this is an absolutely fantastic phone. All positive reviews are accurate, I was deeply in love w/ my new phone. After a year it is another matter, one problem after another & in scanning various user sites I find I am not alone in any of them:
- phone (& clock) freezes & can only be reset by removing battery
- phone turns off & on by itself for no reason
- phones turns off by itself (fully charged battery)
- usb connected message keeps flashing after disconnected

Soft reset is virtually impossible as you must press recessed on/off button, volume down & camera all at once. After just over a year the phone eventually turned off & showed indications it no longer recognized charger or battery, just acted like a paper weight. Now back from repairs - has yet to turn off/on by itself, but all off the above have happened just hours after reactivating, including the start of the usb message. User lists seem to indicate the this indicates damage to the "charging port".

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful purchase. The marketers are liars and thieves., February 15, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Below is a copy and paste job of an email I just forwarded to Sprint and Samsung. I have spent literally (in the real sense of the word, no hyperbole intended) over 24 hours of my time speaking with customer service, advanced tech support, going to local sprint repair stores, etc. to address issues with this phone. I highly suggest that people think twice before purchasing this phone. I am on my third one and am waiting for a fourth. I hope this helps.

This is not an inquiry, it's a statement. I have a Samsung Epic that is the bane of my existence. This phone is almost as frustrating and inconsistent as my HTC Hero. Here are the issues with the phone: multiple "connection lost errors" despite active wifi connection, GPS DOES NOT WORK (not in Philadelphia, a major city, not in Tucson AZ, a major city that is totally flat with no mountains, not in NYC, and not in my home area, Scranton PA, even right next to my girlfriend who also has Sprint but has a Motorolla when her GPS worked fine, the phone seems to prefer to give me an endless "searching for GPS" message rather than doing its job, I lose data connections like it is the primary function of the phone to do so (this requires a soft reset to fix, which it does not always do and which drains the battery significantly throughout the day), data won't send with active 3g connection, charger port has bad connection, and recently phone calls and texts won't go through even with full bars. This is my third Epic since I purchased the original and I'm waiting for my fourth. I'm not sure if it's the service or the equipment, but the whole experience is pitiful.

Sincerly,
----------

2.0 out of 5 stars Crappy phone, unless you flash a new rom on to it., January 10, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I bought the phone back in August of 2010, and was impressed only because i was naive as to what a good phone is supposed to do. After owning it for less than a year i was getting extremely frustrated with the phone. It was getting sluggish, for no apparent reason, the battery life was awful. I couldn't receive picture messages unless I was on wifi or 4g. 4g is extremely spotty especially in the O.C. The phone's app's were constantly force closing. Opening apps, took far too long. So after less than a year, i hated this phone. Most of these problems could have been fixed if Samsung supported there products, but they do not. So the consumer ends up with a mildly decent product for about 6 months, after which they are so frustrated with, they're basically forced to buy a new "faster" phone, so that precious seconds aren't wasted from their life. Thus continues the vicious circle of crap released by phone company and phone manufactures. Of course there are exceptions to this, but samsung is not one of those exceptions.
However there is light at the end of this tunnel. There is a myriad of 3rd party developers that release wonderful modified or updated ROMS for the android OS. These ROMS are finely tuned and optimized to take full advantage of the phones hardware. Because of these creative and intelligent souls, I now own a phone that i can be proud of. It's faster, smoother, glitch free and works damn near flawlessly.
.Im not one of those people that have to have the latest and greatest the day its released. I buy products with the intentions of getting the most out of them and take pride in keeping my 1yr old antique phone running great. Dont get caught up in trying to keep up with the Jones's.

3.0 out of 5 stars Owner of two SGS 4g Epics, January 9, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
More of a ramble across a number of areas.. the phone, the service provider, the content provider... critiquing cloud products almost induces rambling... so if you don't like that.. you might want to skip this review.

The good new is that the phone runs Android. On Sprint, the current version at this writing is 2.3.5. That gives you decent Android services which you may already be familiar with. The other good parts are the full keyboard, the amazing display, the wifi/4g sharing option, the dual camera (front/back) and reasonably good external speaker, and excellent internal speaker. gps/bluetooth are almost givens. Portrait/landscape tilt are fairly responsive. Removable battery is great for sharing batteries with others in the family, as well as having extra on hand when traveling (which I do 40% of the time - I have 4 batteries, which gives a good 2-3 days service while commuting 10,000 miles between airports.)

The bad parts of the phone - software - filesystem - the file system is painfully slow. Sprint / Samsung chose to go with a file system format that is not designed for speed. This decision is what really kills the performance on this phone. There is noticable lag when you use the phone and switch between apps and the desktops. You must be selective and streamline what apps you run on the phone. This leads you to becoming a guru at moving apps between your SD card and the phone memory, and also loading/unloading apps.

The lag also induces double tap annoyance errors - did it accept my input? or did I miss it? Since the touch capabilities on the android platform aren't 100% accurate sometimes the lag / tap makes you wonder if the phone accepted your input, and you tap again, leading to undesirable results, or if you are cautious, you wait, and then you are annoyed due to additional lag as the phone processes your request, or you discover your tap didn't actually get recognized.

GPS - Sometimes just stops working while in use.. you need to exit out of nav, and back in.. good times when driving in traffic. Sometimes, that doesn't work. You have to reboot the phone. Even more awesome... Good thing we have 2 phones. :)

Bluetooth - sometimes the phone will 'see' the remote device, but doesn't actually 'link' until you have redone an entire cycle of 'syncing' this is rare, random but does occur.

Battery life - you will either tether constantly or buy batteries. Buying batteries from Sprint stores is nearly impossible, and the market is flooded with low cost cheap imitation (pirated?) batteries. I have found only 1 reputable dealer who sells the battery + cradle + usb power supply that is Samsung OEM NIB Retail.

I have been to no less than 3 sprint stores from Portland, OR to Jersey City, NJ and none has ever had the retail package available. Given this is their 'best phone' as the one is Portland, OR said (both Corporate and non-Corporate owned stores have said this btw) you have to wonder why they aren't offering additional batteries in stock?

Other service problems are that the phone runs on 2.3.5 - Sprint is painfully slow in updating and you will not be happy to find that the built in bluetooth service won't work with external devices as of this writing. Additionally, the small screen and lack of USB video driver support means you won't be able to use an external display just yet. Once Sprint and Google deliver updates to the software to support both of these features, you are looking at a fairly stable hardened platform that can deliver mail, web, shopping, banking, movies/videos, social, games, phone, SMS, GPS, navigation, mapping and for the unix guys out there SCP/SFTP/SSH in a small package.

So, if you're in it for the long haul, aren't prone to hopping service providers, and want a phone that is reasonable decent that you work around with Google then you have selected a good option.

For the price of the service contracts, coverage of 3g/4g, version of the app and ooh, ahh factor for the screen/flip keyboard it's 'good enough', which seems to be what sells in most markets these days.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product looks nice, absolute nightmare with AmanonWireless and Phone Malfunction, January 7, 2012
D. J. Givens (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Currently totaling 2.5 hours on phone and counting trying to have my old number from Verizon ported over to Sprint.

I finally diagnosed for them why they hadn't ported over my number (they were asking ATT and not Verizon). This successfully ported the number, but while on the phone, my device has begun to malfunction (and is continuously depressing '3' despite the screen being clean. Yikes

Now I can't return to AmazonWireless because it is at 32 days old and over 30 day warranty. Haven't been using it much, been waiting for my number to port...

Mortified...

1.0 out of 5 stars Almost as bad as the Instinct, December 5, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I bought this phone because it had the keyboard which was nice, and seemed to have a lot of horsepower (at the time)

Worst phone i've ever bought, (narrowly defeated by the Samsung Instinct actually) so, make that second worst.

It turns off for no reason, middle of a phone call, middle of the night when no one is touching it ect.

When it turns off the battery is at 40-60% and when it comes back on battery now at 4%. GPS never works. Gets stuck in headset mode with no headset plugged into it. Out of desperation what with the near constant failures for it to do anything right, i ROMed it. No change, running just as bad as before. No reason. I hate it, i hate it so much i want to set it on fire. Which i will promptly do upon buying an HTC or something.

Samsung, stop making phones and tablets, they are the worst things you've ever made, stick with TVs.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware!!!!! samsung and sprint dont even support their own devices!!!, September 21, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Beware buyers. The epic is a good phone but in todays technology market its all about the updates!!! Htc phones are really quick at putting out updates just like apple. samsungs are already out of date before you buy them. and wait a whole year to get new updates when others already have them. AVOID samsung phone!!!! samsung just poops out phones every month... and dont even try to keep their customers satisfied. Ive waited so long for my gingerbread update that i just went online and downloaded the leak of it. I shouldnt have to do that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Was great at first..., August 19, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This was a pretty solid phone at first until Samsung and Sprint started releasing horrible software updates for them. Android 2.2 has crippled my decent phone. I've had to find many workarounds for a lot of the useful features I would use because they no longer work. After complaining at the Sprint store after the upgrade the manager told me there was nothing she could do for me, after I spoke to a lower level employee he told me there was nothing he could do for me either. After this very irritating response I asked what I was supposed to do and he responded very bluntly, "blog about it." After discussing this event with Sprint customer service they were nice enough to move up my eligibility for a new 2 year contract extension so now I can pick a phone that'll actually work. I would definitely not recommend Samsung, their TouchWiz interface is hideous and they are VERY SLOW with their software updates. Don't put your faith in this phone or company.

‹ Previous | 14 5 617 | Next ›