5.0 out of 5 stars The Epic 4G might just win this.
I have been playing around with both phones and because I belong to Sprint for the rest of my life's tenure, I shall let you know that these are the two best phones available in the market but let's compare which is better at what.

Appearance - The Evo 4G does not have a slide-out QWERTY keypad like the Epic. The Epic despite the keyboard is about an ounce...
Published on August 31, 2010 by Harkanwar Anand

3.0 out of 5 stars 10 Days with the Epic and the Evo
The initial plan was for me to upgrade to the Epic and my mom to the Evo (family plan) That way I got to get hands on with both phones and make my decision. Unfortunately, ma wasn't eligible for an upgrade so my master plan was foiled. Damn you Sprint, Obviously with the Evo being out of stock everywhere.. I was happy to get the Epic, since it was the phone I was leaning...
Published on September 25, 2010 by Eric Martin

‹ Previous | 15 6 717 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Spontaneously reboots and locks up- must remove battery, August 6, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I've owned this phone for 9 months, and after the first couple of "honeymoon" months, it has been getting progressively worse with spontaneous rebooting and locking up while in use. It spontaneously restarts itself once or twice per day, and completely locks up three or four times per day. I've lost count of the number of times the phone has woken me up as it recharges on my nightstand at 4 AM due to a 3+1 vibrating pattern it loops through when it locks up (I don't have it set to vibrate for ANY notifications). The only way to make the phone operable again after it locks up is to remove the battery- none of the buttons are operable when a lock-up happens. The phone has been wiped twice by Sprint and they have determined that the issue is not related to software. Luckily, Sprint is running an open enrollment for August 2011 for their Total Equipment Protection Plan ($8/Mo) and I can get a replacement phone through them in a few days- otherwise, I'd be subject to Samsung's manufacturer's warranty (I have 3 more months left under the 1-year mfr warranty), which would take longer. If you have this phone through Sprint, I recommend enrolling in Sprint's TEP Plan this month to avoid any future heartache. I actually like this phone, but the issues I've experience with it are definitely a deal-breaker for me. I'd request a replacement phone from a different manufacturer if I could, but the TEP plan requires 3 replacement cycles before a different phone can be substituted. I'm hoping that I don't have to go through 3 replacement cycles to get a properly operating Samsung Epic 4G phone!!! By the way, I am not in any way associated with Sprint (other than being their customer) and do not receive any compensation from Sprint whatsoever. Their service has been excellent so far throughout this frustrating experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am very pleased with the Epic, May 4, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I added a second line to my account with Sprint, just to try both of these phones. After 1 week, I used both phones a lot. I am by far very pleased with the Epic.

Evo is a great phone too, but not practical because of its size and is a battery hog.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest phone I've ever used, March 2, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I went to this phone from a BB Curve 8330. It took a couple days to get used to it, but it blows BB out of the water! Initially I wanted the Epic for three main reasons. 1) The screen is simply incredible! It's far more colorful and crisper than the Evo. 2) The slide out keyboard, which I don't even use anymore now that I've mastered the Swype feature ;) 3) The camera is by far the best I've ever seen on a mobile phone. Don't let the pixel count fool you. There are other phones boasting a higher pixel count, but the phone's ability to process the picture is what makes the difference. I know many people who have the Evo and I've compared their pictures vs mine-not even close!

In regards to some of the issues that others have talked about pertaining to GPS, I've never had the issue but I know some who have.

Also, pertaining to the Froyo update. Yes it would be nice to be able to use Flash. Yes I would like better bluetooth usage. Until we finally do get the update to either Froyo or Gingerbread I can wait. I'm overjoyed with this phone and would recommend it to anybody.

Oh yeah almost forgot the barry life. Be aware if you buy this phone or any of the large screen phones, that big beautiful screen does to your battery what a big V-8 does to gas! The Epic does have an automatic brightness setting that monitors the lighting around you and adjusts automatically. The phone comes with a built in task manager to help you control what programs are running in the background. You can also set it so that your phone isn't constantly checking social media, ie-Twitter and FB, for updates. That on its own will really extend your battery.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hardware Design-related problems. Horrible support/OS updates late, February 28, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
GPS Issues, responsiveness of the phone (lag) becomes an issue as the file system gets fragmented. Stuck in Android 2.1 since Summer of 2010, was still 2.1 by the time 2.3 came out (Date Feb 20 2011?). No word from Samsung or Spring. Not going to be buying another Samsung phone it seems.

3.0 out of 5 stars Firmly a three-star product; "it's ok"..., February 27, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
...I obtained this phone shortly after it was released. If I recall correctly, I've had this phone since, roughly, last August (2010). In that time, there have been instances when I came very close to throwing it as far as I possibly could. Other times, I've thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

There are other reviewers here who have provided far more technical, detailed and all-together better reviews than I am capable of providing on a product such as this. Further, now that over one hundred some odd reviews have been posted, I can't really provide much that will offer any insight greater than that which has already been provided. But, I will offer my 2 cents.

I came to the Droid world from a Blackberry. I loved my Blackberry. I still miss it. That said, this phone offers far more than I ever had on my Blackberry. Web-browsing, wifi capability (and the ability to use the phone as a wifi/"hotspot" for, say, your laptop), apps, an excellent camera/video-camera, video-conferencing, it comes with a 16gb micro sd card which provides for incredible storage of photos, music, videos, pictures, etc.etc., etc., etc. Its capabilities go on and on and, by the way, yes, it does work as a telephone as well. However other times, I find it has "network" issues such that email accounts will not sync, the browser is excruciatingly slow, GPS places me roughly 3,200 miles away from where I actually am, etc. Point being, it has issues which, sometimes, force me to do a "battery pull" to reset the phone. It's annoying, particularly because I never experienced such things with Blackberry, with the exception of a mere few times where the Blackberry network was toast from coast to coast...for a little while anyway. But with this Droid, I've found such problems are far more frequent/numerous. Maybe it's more of a Sprint issue than it is a phone issue, frankly, I'm not really sure but can only offer that I didn't experience such things with my Blackberry (even though it too was with Sprint).

In terms of its use as an actual phone, I've never had any issues with "dropped" calls being any more problematic than with any other phone; the speaker works great, while video-conferencing has proven somewhat slow, broken-up and such that I just don't do it...but at least I have the satisfaction of knowing I could do it if I wanted to do it, right? Right. But, it does work great as a phone.

All in all, not a bad phone. Indeed, it is just "ok." It does offer an array of services and capabilities which are almost dizzying...far more than my Blackberry did (at that time anyway). All things considered, I probably do prefer it over my Blackberry, but not by all that much.

Recommended.

_______________________________________________

UPDATE - Oct. 2011:

The day that Sprint offered the Apple iPhone 4s, I took this Droid down to my local Sprint store and said "good riddance" once and for all. For the sake of preserving my original review, I'll keep the original "three star" rating in place, but rest assured, as time wore on, that particular Droid became more problematic, requiring "battery pulls" about four to five times per day, with text, GPS and email service basically being worthless as well. I have never been more delighted to get rid of a phone than I was this particular Droid...particularly in favor of the iPhone 4s.

Good riddance!

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung epic, January 24, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This phones battery life is not so good, YOU MUST have a extended battery pack to match the battery life (maybe a little more) of a iphone. GPS isn't so good, dont use for walking. must restart every so often otherwise it goes crazy, i wish android would make their own video calling app. The Qik app IS TERRABLE!!! And skype doesnt yet work for this phone, yea they have it but skype really just doesnt work.(Cant log-in) 4g is fast but only with a catch. The EVO has an even worse battery life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just an amazing phone..., January 24, 2011
J. Root (Shakopee, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
* Previous touch-screen smartphones I've owned over the past few years:
T-Mobile Sidekick, T-Mobile G1, Droid, Samsung Intercept

The Epic blows them all out of the water and it's not even close.

My favorite features
*The Screen
--it's crystal clear and the best screen I've seen on any phone (including the iphone)
--it's big.. watching video or playing games or using apps, there's just a ton of real estate.
*The Speed
--By speed I mean the speed of the response time of navigating throughout the phone (apps/games/calls/msging)
there almost NO lag time when compared to some of the other, aforementioned phones that I've owned.
*The Keyboard
--by FAR the best keyboard on any phone i've ever used- both onscreen and physical.
The onscreen keyboard is touchy, but not too touchy and I've been using SWYPE typing more and more
and it's pretty amazing. The commercials make it look like it might be difficult, but once u get used to it
you probably won't type long messages w/out it. Short messages I still just slide out the physical keyboard.
Which is nice because it's got 3 features I love!
----a FULL row dedicated for 0-9 (no more hitting shift keys to get #s)
----A emoticon button (which triggers an onscreen menu to select which one you want)
----NAVIGATION BUTTONS (Menu, Home, Back, Search) ..Makes navigating in web-browsing super slick.
*Android OS of course
--Once you go Android you never go back. Yeah it doesn't rhyme, but it makes sense. So many great apps
with more released daily. Some of my must haves are..
~Where's my Droid (allows you to find your droid if it's on silent or even via GPS)
~Dolphin Browser (best browser on Android -tabbed browsing, easy nav, fast)
~Easytether/PDAnet (tethering apps, which is a great way to use your phones internet if don't want to pay for the tethering data plan)
~ShopSavvy (scanner app)
~Handcent SMS(Iphone like messaging)
~Pandora (internet music)
~Stitcher (podcast app)
~TuneIn Radio (tune into AM/FM radio programs)
~Fandango (movie theater app)
~The Weather Channel (weather app)
~Talking Tom (fun little app where you can get a cat to do some cool stuff)
~Angry Birds (highly addictive game)

The Cons?
-(as of this review) Still on Android 2.1 (seriously Samsung??..cmon...)
- Missing my favorite feature of the DROID contact list ([x] - Send calls from this user directly to voicemail)
- It's sorta bulky, especially if you put a case on it like I did... but just wear cargo pants/shorts and you're good to go :)
- Battery life is below avg -- But there are a few tricks you can use to get this to be extend it (look at some of the other
reviews here for some good ideas such as setting your background to be BLACK, turn off GPS, 4G when not using) to name a few

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect device, November 13, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I've had the phone about 3 weeks. Came from a Palm Treo (a very solid device), and I'm loving the Epic.

Pros:
Fast, hundreds of useful apps, stable device. Screen is amazing. Battery life was very poor the first few days(wouldn't last the whole work day on a charge) but has improved so it has about a half-charge left at the end of the day (and this is with push e-mail, and other programs running). Love Kindle for Android, Pandora, podcasts, pre-loaded Swype.

Cons:
The power button is in an odd place, and the slider is very responsive, so I often find myself pushing it slightly open when trying to power off the screen. Found out belatedly that Android 2.1 doesn't support Exchange 2010 server for calendar sync (email and contacts did just fine), but am using NitroDesk Touchdown app for work email/calendar/contacts/tasks, and actually like it better than native app. Hoping Samsung lives up to its promises and releases the 2.2 upgrade before the end of November.

Bought the Epic because of the hard keyboard but like many others, now prefer Swype. Considered switching to T-Mobile and getting the Vibrant, without hard keyboard, but like my Sprint service and plan (current SERO users: note there is a new premium SERO plan that is compatible with this phone if you're willing to go through twelve customer service calls to get it). My colleague got a Droid Pro at the same time, and it pales in comparison to this device. Epic is expensive but worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Phone is great, setting up service isn't nearly as great., October 25, 2010
The phone is hands down the best phone I have owned thus far. Battery life is somewhat iffy, but compared to the EVO it is good. I can go an entire day of medium use with a full battery. That being said, having an extra micro-usb to charge on the go is recommended. The phone doesn't have froyo yet, but it is amazingly fast as is. The build of the phone feels strong and the screen has already taken some punishment with no visible wear (I dropped it face first on a hardwood floor).

Getting service on the phone wasn't nearly as streamlined as I thought it would be. It is not explicitly stated that it will take 2-5 business days for amazon to contact you with the information for setting up the account, if they do at all. I had to contact Amazon after 5 business days to obtain the proper information to set up my account with Sprint. It was cut and dry after I contacted Amazon, but waiting that long with no heads up from the company had me worried.

Overall, good phone with a good interface. Email Amazon if you have waited over the 5 days to get them to expedite your service setup.

4.0 out of 5 stars i'm not blown away...yet, October 19, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
1st...these seem to be the low points of this phone, so i'll get this out of the way:
1) gps works fine (now?). google navigation is awesome
2) turn off apps when you're done using them (4g, wifi, gps, location finder via wireless networks, bluetooth, etc.). my battery lasts all day; however, i will admit...i doubt you can get more than 3 or 4 hours talk time.
3) i heard people complaining about the difficulty seeing the screen outdoors prior to buying my phone so i immediately bought an anti-reflective screen protector from sprint (they installed it for me). the only time i have trouble seeing the screen is when it's very bright outside. when i turn on the brightness (which a lot of people probably leave on all the time) i see fine.

reasons i am blown away:
very quick & responsive even when several apps running, touch keyboard is much better than i thought it'd be (especially with 'swype key'); hence, the reason i got a phone with actual keyboard (which i still use for longer typing). recorded video is definitely better than expected (720p). only complaint there is that it doesn't handle moving objects very well while taking still pictures.

reasons i am not blown away...yet:
until android 2.2 is available for the epic 4g streaming video (such as espn3) is not viewable (even with skyfire) and voice command over bluetooth is not available. epic is supposed to get the android 2.2 sometime soon (people have been saying this for months...i'm sure many are sick of waiting). android 2.2 is supposed to cut the browser rendering in half (according to tests with other phones loading 2.1 vs 2.2), speed up the phone's app processing, and slightly increase battery life.
regardless of android OS, netflix's app isn't available...yet and samsung hasn't come out with the micro-usb to hdmi cable...yet.
this phone has been out for nearly a year so i must say that i'm not very impressed with samsung's efforts thus far. it appears that htc (with the evo) is ahead of the game.

the evo already has the above features (android 2.2 and hdmi cable) other than netflix (which isn't available for droid yet), but once the epic has them (in the near future) i don't think i'll be able to imagine a better phone. but then again...that may be a while???

‹ Previous | 15 6 717 | Next ›