5.0 out of 5 stars The Epic 4G might just win this.
I have been playing around with both phones and because I belong to Sprint for the rest of my life's tenure, I shall let you know that these are the two best phones available in the market but let's compare which is better at what.

Appearance - The Evo 4G does not have a slide-out QWERTY keypad like the Epic. The Epic despite the keyboard is about an ounce...
Published on August 31, 2010 by Harkanwar Anand

3.0 out of 5 stars 10 Days with the Epic and the Evo
The initial plan was for me to upgrade to the Epic and my mom to the Evo (family plan) That way I got to get hands on with both phones and make my decision. Unfortunately, ma wasn't eligible for an upgrade so my master plan was foiled. Damn you Sprint, Obviously with the Evo being out of stock everywhere.. I was happy to get the Epic, since it was the phone I was leaning...
Published on September 25, 2010 by Eric Martin

‹ Previous | 17 8 917 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The absolute best cell phone available at this time., September 16, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
First of all, there are several poor reviews on this site that can simply be disregarded. Dumb people picking out 1 item that doesn't even make sense for a review, and they 1-star the phone. Don't worry, I see that ALL OVER this site these days. It completely skews the overall product rating, which sucks because it would be great to rely on that. As it is, with multiple moronic negative reviews for this phone, it is still averaging 4 stars. That should tell you what you need to know.

Pros:

Screen is so amazingly crisp and brilliant. It's great watching HD youtube videos, and high def pics on it.

Camera. It takes super sharp pictures and has TONS of different modes. Action mode is a really amazing feature.

4G. *if* you are in an area that has it, 4G is amazingly fast. I clocked the phone at over 3mbps today at work with an upload of 1mbps. That's faster than alot of home connections. And it is WAY more than you need for a cell phone.

Market. The apps you can get, there are so many of them. Tons of them are free, and you can personalize your phone and make it yours. That is the beauty of Droid in general.

Memory. The onboard memory is 512mb, plenty of room to install lots of apps, and still keep the phone running smooth. The 16mb expansion memory is enough for thousands and thousands of songs and pictures. Or you can rip some blu-rays to it. Also, you can upgrade to 32mb if you feel the need.

Processor. The 1gz hummingbird processor is a monster for a cell phone. The phone never ever lags or pauses or anything. What you tell it to do, it does. ( get it? Droid does! )

Typing. Swype is great, and if you don't like that you can tap, and if you don't like that you can talk, and if you don't like that you can slide out the qwerty keyboard.

Overall this phone is simply gorgeous, and at the very same time it is a workhorse for a cell phone. Call quality is crisp and clear, no dropped calls yet. Texting and communicating is made quick, easy, and fun.

Cons:

The only thing I have to say about this phone in any way that is negative, is the battery life. However, it's not this phone. It's physics. It's the law of things. If you have your screen maxed on brightness, download and stream stuff in 4G, and have a live wallpaper going on in the background, and GPS all day, and on and on... yes the battery will straight up die on you. So will your laptop. So will any other battery powered device. Batteries have a finite amount of juice in them. If you need your battery to last for 12+ hours between charges, then regulate yourself accordingly. Turn off things you don't need, dim the screen, and relax. The battery will be fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars After a Rant and a Transform, I LOVE my Epic 4G!, May 27, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Pros:
- Gorgeous, high-res, colorful and LARGE screen
- Big slide-out keyboard (in addition to on-screen one) has dedicated number keys
- Learning curve is short. Easy to understand
- Handles apps (like Angry Birds, live wallpaper) that Transform can't
- 16 Gb SD card included (can use up to 32 GB card)
- Very attractive on or off
- Great camera, hardware and software
- iPhone-like finger control of pictures and internet

Cons:
- Battery life is short if applications are left running, or with heavy use of apps
- Phone is a little large for a pocket (but smaller than you'd think with that keyboard)
- I'm sure something better will come along, but you can't prevent that!

I've had the Samsung Epic 4G for a week now, and I love it. LOVE it. Let me explain why.

Had a 2-1/2 year old Samsung Rant, with slide-out keyboard. It was sort of an entry level smart phone, bought for texting--not apps. It got drowned in the washing machine, which wasn't a tragedy. The phone lost its novelty long ago, and was never useful beyond talking and texting.

I needed a new phone quickly, so switching carriers to get an iPhone was out the window. I went to the Sprint store, and looked around. I was happy to find Android phones that looked iPhone-ish, but with real keyboards. The Samsung Transform, the HTC Evo Shift and the Samsung Epic. Liked them all, but opted for the cheapest of the three, the Transform. Thought it was SUCH a jump from the Rant, it would be "good enough."

After two weeks, I got tired of "good enough." All of my previous phones had been "good enough." NONE had made me very happy. Transform is a good phone. It's a good texting device. The internet and apps were of course better than I'd ever had. But they were slow, and they were buggy. And the screen was only passable.

I finally got my receipt, boxed everything back up, and went back to Sprint to trade it in. I KNEW that the Epic was going to be my choice, but I gave the Evo a shot. Nope, Epic, all the way. It has a GORGEOUS and LARGE screen for one, and I knew from researching online that it had the fastest processor.

After having had real-world, hands-on experience with both, I really couldn't be happier. The Epic 4G is fast. It's responsive. It installs apps (or uninstalls them) very quickly. The wide keyboard is great, equal to (but slightly different from) the Transform's. The phone looks sexy when in standby mode, all black except for a silver band around the edge, and the chrome logos. It effortlessly logs onto wireless or 4G. I don't feel like I'm giving up anything, or getting "less than." And the screen. . .I'm not kidding, don't pass it up until you've really checked out the screen.

My advice to anyone getting their first big bump up to a real smart phone: Spend the money. If the prices are $100, $150 and $200? Don't automatically go for the cheap one. Don't necessarily go for the most expensive either. But with a two year commitment, think about it. Is a $50 savings worth two years of beeing slightly dissatisfied or worse? I learned the hard way, and had to pay a $35 restocking fee!

2.0 out of 5 stars No support from Samsung, February 15, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I purchased this phone thinking that it would be on the cutting edge of smartphones but to my surprise Samsung has just abandoned the phone leaving it outdated and lagging behind the HTC Evo which is older. Samsung has left this phone in its rearview mirror and moved on to concentrate on its new line of Galaxy phones so I suggest you do the same to any new Samsung phones including this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't wat for my contract to expire and go back to iphone!!!!, February 11, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Bought this phone 4 months ago and still on android 2.1!!!
This is ridicules, I don't know who's at fault...samsung,sprint or both.

This phone may be great if you have never used an iphone but my problem is my last phone was the iphone 3g and going to this phone was like 2 steps back...NO JOKE!!
Application functionality is the main reason; simple example... the facebook app on the iphone it was so simple to poke someone..Well the fb app on android no way to poke someone. I know this is a silly example but I am trying to show an example. Pretty much must of the application have limited functionality compared to the same app on iphone. Another example Yahoo app...you can make video calls on the iphone but on the android epic... NO Can do !!
So yeah.. if you've never used an iphone you might love this phone simply for that reason.

3.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Won't Update Software, Good Screen Though, January 19, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This was a great phone when I got it but Samsung has been promising an update to the newest Android software with flash support and new features for about 6 months and hasn't delivered. Their competitors HTC and Motorola updated the competing phones in Summer 2010 but Samsung is still making excuses in Early 2011. Samsung claims this is their answer to the iPhone, but again the iPhone gets software updates to help older iPhones match some of the features of newer iPhones, but Samsung has no answer to that. They say they don't want to release an update until they have everything right, but if I said that to a teacher about my final report and was 6 months late I would fail the class. The competitors keep their phones up to date, Samsung makes excuses and hopes you will just but a brand new phone from them every 6 months. If a Samsung phone has to be replaced with a new model every 6 months to get the latest Android version while your competitors phones get regular updates, why woulndn't I buy the competitors phone next time? It is a nice phone with a good screen and decent battery life but if Samsung is too cheap to pay a few extra programmers to write updates then it is not worth our money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Broken from factory, January 1, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
We carefull when buying this phone, Samsung is shipping phones with a bad master image, I got my Epic back in October and there were 3 updates over the air (OTA) but neither Samsung nor Sprint can manually update my phone and after 6 nights and two trips to Sprint's repair center, they are tryng to replace my phone with a refurbish one after paying for a brand new phone not even 3 months ago. Sprint customer service is a disaster, they will give you mix informtation just to get you off the phone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Wifi, November 4, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Cannot connect and maintain a wifi signal. Always drops and cannot easily scan for networks. Looking online at fixes it Ssems to be known issue.

Screen is brilliant and beautiful, but wifi is awful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Smart Phone To Own :-) Updated..., November 2, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I've pre-ordered this phone & got it from Sprint on its premier day. I wanted it because it combines superior multimedia/social capabilities with a generous 5-rows physical QWERTY keyboard [along with SWYPE for Android right out the box, it provides the ultimate input selection]. It has everything I wanted: 4.0" Super 'Stunning' AMOLED touch screen [amazingly bright even in direct sunlight. You need to facilitate the Power Control Widget which allows 3 levels of Brightness]; 1.3 MP Front-Facing camera for video chat; 5.0 MP Rear-Facing camera that captures 720p HD video & has an LED Flash [functions as an LED flash light when needed!]; Android OS 2.1 out the box and is due to upgrade to Android 2.2 (aka, Froyo which will bring Flash support along with other cool features*); 1 GHz Hummingbird processor delivers a zippy, snappy, buttered experience!! Navigation is a breeze with 7 customizable home screens. Samsung's own totally revised TouchWiz 3.0 UI is bliss to navigate. What else? Hm, 16 GB of Memory with SD card expandability up to 32 GB; 512 MP of RAM/ROM; Free Turn-by turn GPS navigation; 3G/4G (where available)/Wi-Fi & Bluetooth connectivity options; Serves as a hotspot (optional) for up to 5 devices [that comes with a monthly fee] Status bar notifications and TRUE multitasking capabilities. The Android App Store gives you unlimited, unrestricted access to over 100,000 apps and rapidly growing. 3D games and movies are just so much fun to have in your pocket wherever you go. Now, I've had my Epic for a bit over 2 months and I just love more & more per second! Ah, and with apps like 'Documents to Go' and Samsung own Media Hub [which lets you rent or buy movies or TV shows**], you can be productive, stay connected, and have fun all at the same time.

However,there are very few 'shortcomings'. It does NOT come with an HDMI [Well, if you don't an HD TV then you don't need it!], 4G is not available nationwide but Sprint still charges a Mandatory $10 extra a month. With its big screen and speedy processor you want to keep in mind the battery is going to drain relatively faster than you 'dump' or semi-smart phone! In my personal experience, I had to charge it once daily. And lastly are two wishes: I wish it would've had a kick stand but that's no big of a bug, honestly. Although very well spaced out and tactile, I wish the keyboard buttons would've been just a hair more raised up above the surface.

My verdict: It is by far the best feature-packed Smart Phone available on the market to date. With its slick design, solid build, snappy performance, and rich features, I'd say with confidence: it is the Best Android 'Brilliant' phone, to say the least.

There's a whole lot to say about this 'brilliant' phone but that could end up lengthy and boring! So my advice to you is to go check it out for yourself. Take advantage of Sprint's One Month Satisfaction Guarantee and I'm sure you'll LOVE IT like I do :-)

Tip: Amazon offers the best price and saves you the hassle and the inconvenience of Mail-In rebates. BestBuy, however, offers their own Reward Program that I think is worth checking; they'd also assist you with transferring all of your contacts both for FREE. The Choice is yours.

* Flash support enables users to play web video content.
** The content is relatively pricy, and as of yet, it only works over Wi-Fi. Previews aren't always available. But it's nice to have the option.

Update:
__________

Now that I've had this brilliant phone for about 8 months & after having received my long-awaited Android 2.2, aka, Froyo, I feel I have to put up a few more words to keep my review up to date.

Samsung has created one of Android's smartest phones to date. I dare to say that their Galaxy S line is truly a 'category by itself!'
I have to admit though I was a little upset as to how long it took before I got my Froyo update & also because the issues that followed the update. But now that the new OS is finally stable & bug-free, I can safely say it's totally worth the wait. Besides, I learned to backup everything on my phone, the hard way :-( I've settled down to the fact that almost all OS updates have the potential to be troublesome. Yet again, the end result is worth a little hassle. I have well over 100 apps on my phone & it pretty much handles anything I throw at it. High-end games like Gameloft's Hawx, Modern Combat 2, BIA2, Sandstorm, & Asphalt 6, or other Android games such as AirAttack HD, Tank Recon 3D, Fruit Ninja, & Crazy Snowboard play like fluid & bring forth the power of this phone.

Is there anything I'd change about this phone? After having used Swype that comes pre-installed, I personally don't see a need to use a physical keyboard. Second, I definitely want to see some dual core action. I mean, if this is what a single core can do, I can only dream of the power of a dual core!! I also would love to see a Netflix app pre-installed. Well, these are the main things I want to see in the coming Samsung handsets. Oh, Gingerbread out of the box, por favor!!! So far, Samsung seems to be heading in the right direction. I can't wait to lay my hands on Samsung's Galaxy S II :-)

Go Galaxy S :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this phone!, October 24, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I've been a Blackberry user (Curve and more recently, Tour) for a long time. Prior to that, a Palm user. With all the great new touch screen phones coming out, I was itching to switch. But I wasn't about to switch to AT&T just to get the iPhone. I have also been with Sprint for years, and in my opinion, they have THE BEST coverage/service and plans (I never have dropped calls and they have the best "Everything" plan). Also, I wasn't willing to get a phone that only had a touch screen for entering text. True, AT&T has the new Blackberry Torch, but again, I would've had to switch to AT&T.

So I was so happy when Sprint came out with the new Samsung Epic (I'm glad I waited for this instead of getting the Evo). Simply put, this phone is AMAZING! It has everything I was looking for, among other things, the touch screen and pull-out keyboard. And while this phone is much larger than my previous Tour and really bigger than my husband's Palm Pre, it isn't any heavier. The build of the phone is solid. When you pull out the keyboard, you can do so with the confidence that it won't wobble or break. The Amoled screen is unsurpassed and the live wallpapers are beautiful! The colors are so vivid and true, and with the size of the screen, watching videos is wonderful! The speed of the browser is super fast too (this is one reason I wanted to switch from my Blackberry, which I also loved). The browser on the Blackberry is so slow and the browsing experience is lacking since the screen is so small. The pull-out key board is great, but I actually find myself not using it that much because I have gotten used to entering text using the Swype function. It is so fast and intuitive. Once you get the hang of using it, I don't think you'll be entering text with the keyboard.

There are still some things that are lacking, however, which caused me to give this a 4-star, instead of, a 5-star rating. First, the ability to sync with Microsoft Exchange is lacking. Currently, there is no way to sync your notes and tasks from Outlook. I use these a lot so I had to find work-arounds for this (I use Evernote for my notes and Remember the Milk for my tasks). Second, there is no spell check. I'm not sure why as this seems to be something that shouldn't be hard to include since gmail has it. Third, there doesn't appear to be a way to select the default calendar when entering new appointments (you have to always select which calendar you want the appointment in). Also, there doesn't appear to be away to dismiss select appointments. Again, I have had to use a work-around (I use the free Calendar Snooze). Fourth, the ability to customize the ringer and notification profiles is somewhat limited (you have to download an app (I use Quick Profiles) to do this - not a big deal, but it would be good if this was already included). Truly, these are not actual functions of the phone itself, but of the Android OS. So I'm hoping that with the eventual upgrade in OS, these issues will be addressed and resolved.

While I have had to alter the way I do things on my device, this has not been a dealbreaker for me. I am extremely happy that I purchased this phone (through Sprint) and that I am using the Android OS. I am a Android convert for good. I'm learning new things on this phone everyday and I'm looking forward to the upgrade in the OS - hopefully soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best!, September 9, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I have to say that this is the best smartphone ever produced by anyone, anywhere. The combination of the vibrant screen, excellent design, smooth interface, speed of the Sprint 4G network (where available) and strong android marketplace is unbeatable. I strongly recommend this phone with Sprint's Everything Data Mobile Me plan. I am very pleased and have not looked back.

‹ Previous | 17 8 917 | Next ›