5.0 out of 5 stars The Epic 4G might just win this.
I have been playing around with both phones and because I belong to Sprint for the rest of my life's tenure, I shall let you know that these are the two best phones available in the market but let's compare which is better at what.

Appearance - The Evo 4G does not have a slide-out QWERTY keypad like the Epic. The Epic despite the keyboard is about an ounce...
Published on August 31, 2010 by Harkanwar Anand

3.0 out of 5 stars 10 Days with the Epic and the Evo
The initial plan was for me to upgrade to the Epic and my mom to the Evo (family plan) That way I got to get hands on with both phones and make my decision. Unfortunately, ma wasn't eligible for an upgrade so my master plan was foiled. Damn you Sprint, Obviously with the Evo being out of stock everywhere.. I was happy to get the Epic, since it was the phone I was leaning...
Published on September 25, 2010 by Eric Martin

‹ Previous | 18 9 1017 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars First Android Experience - and it's a good one!, September 9, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I clung to my Verizon LG basic camera/text phone for as long as I could. When I finally got tired of waiting... and made the move to an android phone, I was flabbergasted at the price difference on monthly plans between Verizon and Sprint. I'd call it a no-brainer, but I really think it's one of the smartest moves I've ever made.

Sprint service in my area (Central NJ, ranging between Monmouth County and Philly Suburbs) has been solid. (with the exception of a 1/4 mile area of Jackson, NJ in Ocean County that doesn't get ANY service, not even Verizon)

I get 4G at work and for 80% of my drive home. I sometimes get a smattering of 4G in my house and the Sprint people says it'll be in my area sooner rather than later... so for me "the Network" is not an issue, and I would surmise it's more hype than truth in more places than not.

The Epic 4G is awesome. Really fast, good looking and slick. Easy to learn how to use and easy to operate. I have no complaints to balance my review with. I use it for just about everything you can imagine. Gmail, corporate email, voicemail, google voice, google talk, google maps, audible.com, facebook, twitter, browsing, android apps... no problems so far. (to be fair, corp email took some doing to set up, but the difficulty was on my end, the phone was ready and willing if I was putting in the right information)

Battery lasts a whole day... even the day when I was in heavy use when trying to set up corporate email, the batter made it a good 8 hours before needing a recharge.

Highly recommended. (I almost got the EVO, which from what I've seen is also great, but the Super AMOLED screen on the Epic blew me away when I played with it at the Sprint store)

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Phones we have ever owned!, November 9, 2012
Schorsch "Constant Shopper" (Winnetka, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
We purchased three of these phones about 18 months ago. I am counting til I can swtich carriers back to Verizon and get a new phone with them. From day 1 my phone would not connect to register it. The other two both did. That was just the start. I have had mine replaced three times and it is the biggest piece of garbage I have ever owned. It constantly locks up. I have watched it while sitting on my desk in a locked mode, unlock itself and open an app or dial a contact at random. No virus's have been found and yes I have checked and checked. It cannot fing GPS even when my husbands identical phone next to me can. My daughters phone started doing the same kind of things. SPrint has been the WORST company ever to deal with this. They refused even in the first few weeks to replace my phone with a new one. So I have gotten two factory refurbished phones. My husbands phone (he uses his very little) is now starting to act strange as well. NEVER buy one of these. Everyone I know who owns this model has had the same problems. Buy another model. Samsung has good quality products but they just dropped the ball on this model completely. I also have almost no coverage with this phone while others on the Sprint network near me work just fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea TERRIBLE implementation, July 16, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I've had this phone for over a year and a half. It has all the features I want and is wonderful concept. However, it is VERY buggy and probably the worse piece of software I have paid for. I have constant problems that change or get fixed then new problems arise.

Currently the Bluetooth skips (not as bad as it was) and the GPS regularly loses it's signal making the nav worthless.

I lose GPS most of the time (I only use if for longer trips but sometime it looses it GPS before I leave my street) and the only way to restore GPS is to turn the phone off and on. This is a pain when I am driving and relying on the GPS. The blue tooth (not head phones or speakers) likes to skip often. It was REALLY bad for a while but now it is less often.

The screen is also unresponsive and I actually had to use the warranty I pay monthly for to have the phone replaced because the entire screen went permanently unresponsive.

Bottom line, this is junk and I will be VERY skeptical about buying anything made by Samsung again. I can't wait till my contract is up so I can buy a smart phone that works.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Okay., June 23, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I rated this phone 4/5 because most of the features about this phone is great. The sound quality/picture quality/quick.

The only few things I dislike about this phone is the front touch screen buttons on the bottom. They don't work sufficiently such as the back button...I always have to push the back on the keyboard. When it falls asleep i always have to slide it open.

Not a fan of the phone not being on the main menu where messaging is anymore. But it's okay

2.0 out of 5 stars Progressively worsening & Sprint/Samsung know about it!!!, June 12, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
When first purchased back in the summer of 2011, this phone was phenomenal. The only complaints for the phone was of course that the 4G antenna loved to drain the battery while barely getting more than 2bars of signal, thus providing similar speed to the 3G. After the 5th month the problems began; constant force closes on even phone calls, screen freezing up, battery running super hot, slower response to touch screen.
The phone problems, we later found out, weren't unique. My wife had the same phone (now has Epic 4G Touch, huge improvement, miss the pull out qwerty) and hers was so bad we had to do two resets at the Sprint store where the sales man 1st blamed the apps, then the OS, then technology for making phone function as more than just a phone. We took it to Best Buy where they were originally purchased and found ourselves with a lady that had the identical problems and was told over the phone that it was unique to her! There we were 3 people with the same phone, having the same problems, all being told it was unique to us!
Because early upgrades can be costly, only my wife has the new phone. I'm still going along with the problems, having gotten used to taking the battery out the phone 3-4 times a day to reset it, as recommended by Sprint and Best Buy sales people. Worst part is when it locks up while using the Navigation from Google to get somewhere unknown. Very disappointing experience to say the least (I'm waiting for a viable Windows phone on Sprint to switch to, Android OS is too fragmented to stick around with)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phone, love the keyboard, February 8, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
The epic has is great phone with a large very clear screen. The keyboard is extremely handy when you want to send long emails or type extra fast text messages. Battery life is not great but can be managed if you know you won't have access to a charger for awhile.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fixing keyboard lag, battery life and coverage problems, January 19, 2012
Max (United States) - See all my reviews
Sprint Samsung Epic 4G.
I am still surprized how much time I spent on fixing Epic 4G!
It seemed like a decent phone, but had several serious problems:
1. Short battery life = upgraded to thick 2x battery with a thick cover.
2. Spring has very poor coverage = after a year of suffering discovered, that roaming and data roaming are free and now always use roaming option no matter what. That solved signal problem but there is no 4G anymore.
3. The physical keyboard skipps keys especially if a key is repeated twice. I was really disappointed about that for 1.5 years.
Gingerbread update, as appears now doesn't solve this problem.
So what I did:
(originally I rooted my Froyo (old android os) and installed a keyboard fix. Rooting is a process that allows modifying the Android system deep inside. The original fix didn't fix the problem. ) Then I discovered that my phone doesn't install the gingerbread update that was feeded by Sprint. After a couple of months, I decided to force it and succeded.
(This set of instructions was great and educational, but didn't work for me - http://goo.gl/Ecn6X
the phone would beep (1+3) vibrations signaling about the system crash after restart.)

Here are the steps that worked:
1. Download "App list backup" from market.
Backup the list of apps to sd card. The program then helps installing the apps from the market one by one. Since there is so many of them it remembers which ones were installed. Not more than that.(Titanium backup is great except it requires rooting which I am not sure I want anymore since rooting prevents automatic upgrades).
2. Followed this instruction to Flash/Restore to Froyo EC05 (Procedure #1)
3. Manually upgraded Froyo to Gingerbread.
4. Installed a custom kernel with a keyboard fix.

A quick test shows that the keyboard lag has been fixed. Otherwise it is an official Gingerbread eligible for further automatic updates.

Here are the files I used.

1.0 out of 5 stars do not buy!!!, January 8, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
bought this phone last yearworked great for he first 90 days then started to slow down lock up and every time i pluged it in it told me my batt was to cold/hot to charge when it wasnt had to remove batt. then when pluging it in to the charger the batt went from 14% to 70% took it to the store thy gave me a new phone and batt. now this phone is doing the same thing. i took it back to the store they tell me the batt doesnt hold a charge i need to buy a new batt it clearly does it will stay charged all day they refuse to give me a new phone unless i pay 100 bucks i cant wait to get rid of this P.O.S!!! do not buy!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, December 30, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
To be fair, the phone itself is nice, but after Sprint's Gingerbread update, it broke the phone. GPS does not work at all. The phone randomly freezes and restarts. Sprint is unresponsive to fixing the issue. If you do want to get this phone, do so with another carrier if you can.

Battery life is an issue. I upgraded my battery because of it. The keyboard is nice, a definite plus if you still want a physical keyboard. Be careful before committing to Sprint and this phone. You may do okay or you may be like me--switching to Verizon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Love this phone - when it works, November 23, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I love this phone and the slide out keyboard - when it is working. Problem is, I'm on my 5th phone plus one replacement keyboard in less than 1 year. This one is acting up now too. Besides the phone shutting off on its own, the biggest problem I've had is with the sensor bar at the top. After having the phone for a while, the keyboard will not go dark when I put it to my ear. So when I speak, my face moves on the screen and I'll end up hanging up on someone, hitting numbers so it beeps in both of our ears or it mutes. It's very embarrassing to have this happen with a client on the other line! It's to the point that I will hunt down the home phone so I don't have to call someone on my cell phone! I've also had at least 1 keyboard that wouldn't type certain letters - the first replacement may have had that too - I've had so many I can't remember. The first replacement was maybe a month after I bought the phone. I'm not hard on phones overall, so the issue is with the phone itself. Oh, and then there are all of the software issues. The last update was ok although my phone is locking up quite a bit now. My husband got the same phone right after it came out and loved it, which is why I bought it too. He is still on his original phone, although it has started shutting itself off maybe 3-4 times a week and just last night it started making a high pitched constant noise until he shut it off. I have 2 different friends with the Epic. They both have had problems with them too - most with them shutting down. But, my kids both have the Evo. We haven't had a problem with either one - and their teenagers! Hopefully Samsung will get this figured out before the next one comes out..

‹ Previous | 18 9 1017 | Next ›