1,028
Samsung SE-208DB/TSBS 8X Slim DVD+/-RW Slim USB External Drive (Black)
Color: BlackChange
Price:$22.95 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 16, 2013
I have already played and recorded DVD's using this drive, within days after I received it. I bought it to travel with since my Macbook Air does not have a DVD RW drive. This drive was less than half the cost of Apple's Superdrive, and it works perfectly. I have a Macbook Air and an older (mid 2007) iMac, both with OS X Mountain Lion, and this drive does everything with both.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 11, 2013
Bought a new laptop that didn't have a dvd player/writer, and for any of you struggling to make that decision as I was, I'm glad I did. Reason being, while I'm a convenience freak and was worried I'd be all aggrevated to have to hook up an external, I realized that heck, I only use that feature very rarely anyway, so on that rare occasion, sure, hook up the external. Otherwise, the other 99.8% of the time, I have a lighter, thinner laptop.

Now then, back to the review I was 'supposed' to be writing :)

Pros (in order of importance):
* USB-only, no power adapter required (the fewer cables the better!)
* Thin, not much bigger in area than a dvd disk so minimal space on the table when I'm using it
* Attractive
* Price
* And oh yeah, it works! (Ok, duh, that should be #1) Plays DVD movies and most computer disks (haven't written yet)

Cons:
* Somewhat noisy during certain operations, but not a deal killer upon further analysis. What I mean is, first time I used it was installing software, during which it was quite noisy, lots of clicking and humming. So, plugged in a movie and was a little concerned when at first it did it then too, but then I realized it was only doing it during transitions, such as loading, between movie previews at the beginning, from menu to first scene, etc, etc. However, once the movie was actually playing, it was pretty quiet, just a very faint hum that, even the puny little laptop speakers drowned out. So, though I've only done that one little test to see if I wanted to return or not, so far, I'm pretty convinced it's a keeper, again, especially for the price.

Tip:
Just to save others the hassle. When I plugged in that first dvd movie, I got a popup that said the disk's country origin was incompatible with the player, said the disk was USA/Canada (correct), but the player was "Free," that I could only change the country code 5 times and, did I want to continue. After a little online searching to no avail, I just went for it and can assure you, just click that yes, if it happens to you, don't worry, just click that yes, you want to change it, and it will automatically change to match the disk. You don't need to look up some country code or anything, just click the button and you're done, period.
on December 15, 2012
Bought this product a few days ago.
Tried it with reading and writing DVDs, and it works like a charm.
I just connected it to my laptop (win 7 starter OS) and it was instantly ready for use.
It has a modern, compact design and it weighs only 300 grams.
You can take it with you practically anywhere, however it doesn't come with a carrying case, too bad.
Seems like it is built OK, but you shouldn't try a "drop test" with this product.
In my opinion, if you need a simple external DVD drive for reading and\or writing DVDs this one will give you good value for your money.
on February 23, 2013
This is a slim, slick device that works like the big ones. The drive is fast, works with a USB2 or USB3 interface, and is relatively quiet (you can hear the read/write arm zip across the disk, but it's a reassuring sound. The device recorded everything sent to it accurately and I encountered no problems reading data from the recorded disks. It handles most (if not all) of the DVD/CD formats. The open/close operation is manual - just push the button and the tray pops out. Push the tray in to close. The drive is so slim, it fits into my tablet carry case along with the tablet. You can't beat the price.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My main reason for buying this drive is because my Mac's internal optical drive decided to burn coasters and not read reliably. Apparently it's fairly common after a few years. I am pleased to say that it works quite well for installing OS X, as well as Windows on a Boot Camp partition. It does sound similar to the original drive in my Mac, so it kind of threw me off when it first began accessing the data on the disc. I had to make sure I had nothing in there.

The burn quality appears to be good. I used DVD-RW's to burn a customized unattended Windows disc and it verified with no problems at all. The USB cord has two type A male plugs on one end. One is just used for power, but I found I didn't need to use it. All in all a good purchase. I would definitely recommend it.
on March 22, 2013
Well i bought this product for my ASUS netbook. It works as it says. Very nice looking i have always loved samsung products the very easy to install as it is plug and play plus the samsung website makes it easy to obtain drivers if needed. Comes with Nero software for burning DVD's. It is a bit loud but you do expect this from an external drive.

Was surprised to see that i can use this player with my Nexus tab (as long as you have the correct app) as well as with my TV.

Great product the only reason i gave it 4 stars was that you have to depress the eject button firmly and for 2 seconds to get drive to open. At first i thought the button was broken it is a bit of an annoyance but other than that i am very pleased with this purchase.
on March 5, 2013
I build computer systems, and sometimes, the system has no internal dvd drive. So I purchased this one for the sole purpose of loading the operating system.

I plug the drive into a USB port, (included cable with single usb plug, I like that) boot the system to power the drive, insert the operating system disk, and re-boot the system. It loads the operating system, seems relatively quiet, and does the job.

After that, I configure the system, do all needed testing, and sent the new computer to my client. It just works the way it was meant to.

I have tested the drive with other uses, loading data from previously burned DVD's, played music cds and ripped some songs, works fine for those purposes as well.

I have not actually burned any DVD's with this drive, I expect it would work fine, but probably a bit slower than an internal drive might.
on January 15, 2014
It's a USB 2.0-connected 8x optical drive... works well in both OS X and WIndows.

PRO's:
--Lightweight (also see CON's below)
--Unlike the Apple external DVD drive, the connecting cable is a standard USB one and can be easily replaced if it becomes frayed over time
--Pretty quiet
--Has an activity light (if that's important to you)
--Compared to the Apple external DVD drive, forcibly removing a misbehaving disc is *MUCH* easier

CON's:
--Might be a bit *too* light; popping open the drive to add/remove a disc, it becomes a wobbly see-saw when the tray is fully open so it basically requires two hands to add/change/remove a disc
--A bit thicker and larger overall than the Apple external drive; perhaps not nearly as portable for frequent travelers seeking the smallest external drive possible

BOTTOM LINE:
Much less expensive than the Apple external drive, although it's a bit larger and slightly less convenient to load/unload discs. Easier to remove stuck discs and, down the road, replace connecting USB cable if needed. Performance is nearly identical to Apple's offering for less than half the cost. Recommended.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 4, 2013
Good price, no need for power adapter, powered by usb from mbp. My on gripe is that the eject function is a little slow and non responsive other than that, good stuff
on June 10, 2013
My MacBook Pro with retina display doesn't have a built in DVD drive and I need a drive to install Windows 7 on my MacBook with Parallels. I read the reviews on this product and,the price was right so I bought it. It worked fine right out of the box. Plugged in the USB port and it installed itself. Put in my Windows 7 disk, held my breath, and away it went, no problems. I'm very pleased.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations