5.0 out of 5 stars READ BEFORE TAKING UNDER WATER!
Published 14 months ago by D. Delong

3.0 out of 5 stars Tips to ensure you phone stays waterproof; painful warranty
I have both the S4 and S4 active, The Active is only a tiny bit larger, but doesn't support the flip shield on the front. They are both very nice phones.

If you are interested in Warranty experience, see note on painful service at end.

AT&T offers a one-time-replacement for water damage, as of Aug 7 2013.

There are a few things to do, to...
Published 14 months ago by R Gibbons

5.0 out of 5 stars READ BEFORE TAKING UNDER WATER!, August 1, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active I9295 GSM Factory Unlocked Phone International Version Urban Grey (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I work in the mobile industrty as a third party authorized seller for mulitple carriers, and I have to say this phone has impressed me greatly. One of our employees purchased the phone and put it through its paces. Performs extremely well and is completely water tight. The thing people do need to realize though is this. This phone is rated for up to 6ft of submerssion for up to 30 minutes. Any longer than this, and you risk water damage.

To make the phone water tight, after the back is snapped into place on the phone, you have to press firmly right under where the camera openings are. You'll hear a pop in the middle. When you hear that, and only after you hear that, is the phone water tight. 90% of the water issues people are having most likely could be avoided by either the carrier remembering to press there firmly or the associate informint the customer. Make sure you're pressing there if you plan on exposing this phone to water, and please do NOT go scuba diving with it. Not desiged for that length of submerssion.

Hope this helps when making a decision on whether or not to purchase the phone!

3.0 out of 5 stars Tips to ensure you phone stays waterproof; painful warranty, July 31, 2013
R Gibbons (Silicon Valley, California) - See all my reviews

AT&T offers a one-time-replacement for water damage, as of Aug 7 2013.

There are a few things to do, to help your phone not be damaged by water, (based on instructions for my Panasonic underwater camera).

1) The seals on the back must be perfectly clean before closing it up. My underwater camera comes with a brush to ensure no hair, sand, lint, dust... is on the seal before closing. A dirty seal can allow water to enter at that spot.

2) Don't jump in water or swim with phone in hand (better to slowly wade in, with phone in pocket). The water pressure is Much greater than 1 meter submersion, when you have a sudden gush of water during a dive or jump, (same goes for being hit by a wave, or under a hose/faucet).

3) Don't open the back up, till the unit has been rinsed in clean fresh water (so hard salt crystals or mud don't form near seal), wiped off dry on the outside, and air dried for an about an hour. (You will notice that the seal only covers half of the back of the phone, the other half can hold drops of water, that once opened, can drip and turn the white H2O indicator red, and void the warranty).

4) Don't depend on the phone actually lasting 30 minutes 1 meter under water in the future, Seals wear, and degrade with age. (In a few years you may only have 10 minutes at foot under water, depending on wear).

5) Don't show off the phone's water resistance more than necessary, There are occasional manufacturing defects, that are hard to test for submersion. Use the phone for the minimum time and depth needed for a picture. I plan to use mine mostly in the rain, (and my underwater Panasonic camera, rated at 12 meters for 2 hours for most underwater pictures); Or maybe a few drops of sweat when exercising with music.

6) Don't forget to seal the USB port very well. It doesn't snap closed easily, needs to be slid to the side while pressing in for complete closure. The USB seal will wear quickly since it is opened daily, and easily pops open.

I'm also content with the phone cases I bought: The belt clip case (Black Horizontal Leather Pouch Carrying Case Holster with Belt Clip and Loops for Samsung Galaxy Note S4 Cell Phone) is large enough to fit the both the S4 Active with the thin TPU protective case (TUDIA Ultra Slim Melody Series TPU Protective Case for Samsung Galaxy S4 Active I9295 (Blue)) for extra drop protection.

Edit after owning phone 10 months, reduce from 5 stars to 3 stars:
POOR WARRANTY SERVICE: The USB Cover tether became disconnected. I called Samsung, they said it would be a warranty repair, Neither AT&T nor Samsung would provide a loaner during the repair. After a week, The repair was put on hold, waiting for payment of $160 for LCD screen & Touch pad (even though both are in perfect condition). Samsung said the warranty does not cover a replacement LCD, and they would have to replace it as part of their repair to get to the USB port underneath the LCD. This stinks, Customer should not be charged for warranty repair, for parts the repairman needs to break in order to save time on the repair. Calls to Samsung repair center lead nowhere. Email to the "office of the president" [President@sta.samsung.com] resulted in a free repair, but took several hours of my time.

Russ G.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Phone That Works, January 19, 2014
I'm deployed to Afghanistan, and was worried about the dust. I knew I wanted an Android phone, so I did my research. After learning that Samsung made a water/dust proof Galaxy phone, I figured I had to give it a try (as I wanted an S4, and thought this was the best of both worlds). I was a little nervous about the screen, as this phone has a TFT LCD (where as the Flagship S4 has an OLED screen), but so far I haven't had any issues. In fact, as I was researching this phone to make sure it was the best choice for my needs, I read that the TFT LCDs are actually better for outside use (as they don't get as washed out by the sun - something I was concerned about), and so far I haven't had any issues viewing the screen outdoors (even in direct sunlight).

I would absolutely recommend this phone for anyone who spends a lot of time outdoors, but still want's a smartphone. My only complaint about this phone is that I can't use a lot of the really cool add-on's/accessories that are available for the S4 (such as Qi wireless charging, or the flip cover that shows the time through a window on the front, etc...) Other than that minor qualm, I've been extremely satisfied with this phone.

P.S. - Yes, I've tested the "waterproof-ness" of this phone, and it works like a champion - just make sure you do what the directions say and verify that the back is completely on (being mindful of the clip/latch under the camera on the back).

5.0 out of 5 stars S4, September 19, 2013
I love this phone! It is even better than I expected. I love how fast it is. I am using it through Straighttalk.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Hand held device in a life time, October 31, 2013
I love the iphone's reliability after years but hate their proprietary restrictiveness, and of course that stupid iTunes. I love the Android's versatility but they all go buggy and unreliable after 6 months or so. I almost bought the iPhone 5 over the Galaxy S4, just tired of my old unreliable android that kept freezing at the worst times. Then I saw this "Active" version that is waterproof and Dust proof. I was sold.

Could not have made a better choice! It's also slick and better looking than the regular Galaxy S4.

The keyboard is actually great, I thought I would have issues typing, but it works perfectly, and I like how aggressive it is at correcting--Only problem is, you can't edit the dictionary to add words...which makes it useless. I can't write s*** or a*s and not even OMG or IDK. So I downloaded the Google Keyboard for it, and it's perfect.

It didn't seem to come with much bloatware, and it's the smoothest running phone I've ever had (I've had plenty).

I am infatuated with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye, iPhone. Hello, s4 active., July 10, 2013
I made the switch from the iPhone and have not had any regrets! I've used it underwater and had zero issues. There are a lot of features and it is very fast! It took some getting used to but I'm so happy I got the phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, but you need a version with a warranty, April 20, 2014
This phone is a really good idea. I don't use it for underwater or anything, but have sweated through a number of phones, so wanted something for running. It works great, until it doesn't... The rear cover on my phone would ever so slightly open on occasion. If you every single time you pick up the phone remember to push this down (in addition to sealing the charging plug), then you're golden, but the problem is, as the cover randomly opens, impossible to be checking it all the time.

Although the samsung water damage warranty on this is pretty bad anyway, you should really buy a version that has the warranty in case you run into trouble.

Also vendor is useless in helping here.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star, February 3, 2014
I love it is perfect i prefer this thab the normal model s4, the bottons the screen, the cel is really fast the battery is really good, the opcions the signal im from venezuela in here you only find the normal model of the s4 but i have my s4 active and is the best

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware, July 16, 2013
This phone was purchased with the intent that it works as advertised. In other words, we thought we could use it and if it got wet no problem. Turns out it's not water resistant really..
It got wet in the pool and got water in it. When we tried to swap it out at the store we bought it at, they said they couldn't take it back bc it was water damaged. Then, I called ATT, they too were surprised that it got water damaged but also would not warranty replace it. 0 for 2. I called Samsung, they told me that they will look at it and if the technician deems that it has excessive water damage, they will not replace/repair it. FYI, the warranty says the phone is not covered for water damage even though the thing is supposed to be water resistant. Also, I looked up a bunch of other reviews and lots of people are saying the same thing. Samsung told me that they have been getting a lot of calls about this same issue. If I can save you the heartache of going through what I am, then that's great. Phone looks great, loved it but it's useless now. It's no more water resistant than a piece of paper towel under a running faucet. If you treat it like every other phone and don't get it wet, it's probably fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good until it stops working, March 20, 2014
Three months after I put this phone into service it stops connecting to the data network. AT&T couldn't figure out the problem and neither could Samsung Chat line. Now its a dumb phone. Still under warranty but Samsung USA doesn't support it because it's an international phone made in Vietnam. The support number for Vietnam does not have enough digits to work. Good luck getting that serviced. I'd give it no stars if that were an option