5.0 out of 5 stars It Just Plain Rocks
How can you write about a phone that just plain rocks? Easily, of course! I've been using the predecessor to this phone, the Samsung Focus, since it came out in 2010. I have been nothing but pleased with that phone and so when the new Samsung Focus S was announced I wasted no time trying one out -- it was an easy sell after I used it for about 5 minutes!

If...
Published on November 8, 2011 by Robert L. Stinnett

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not waste your money on this model.
NOTE. - I have this phone on AT & T Active since March 2012, ie 6 months of use.

Just one. - Bad - bad - signal reception (4G). Everywhere outside, in an area of perfect coverage, never got all stripes showed me good signal strength. Indoors, disastrous reception. 2. - Reheat in a moderately long duration call - and if it is long lasting - Total overheating...
Published 20 months ago by Ricardo J. Oliveros

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 58 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased as punch!, January 21, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Focus S (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Fabulous screen, thin and light. Great OS, just needs a few more apps to make the move over, but that will be happening soon thanks the Microsoft/Nokia juggernaut that is going to be spending much cash to make sure everything gets taken care of in the next few months.

Battery life could still use a boost, but hey I can easily pop off the back and drop in a fully charged spare and I'm back in business. Not an option with my previous iPhone 3GS.

Everyone raves about the iPhone and the Droids, but the really innovative interesting entertaining platform is now Windows Phone 7.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone, fast, big screen, and better than the iPhone., January 8, 2012
Chuco (Killeen, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Focus S (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
In my opinion this phone is far better than the iPhone. Windows has changed the way mobile phones are. The screen is big and the phone itself is very light in weight. It is thin as can be without sacrificing performance or usability. I would high recommend this phone to anyone. I converted four of my hard core iPhone family users over to this phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, January 8, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Focus S (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I work for a wireless company, and I have been a long-term Blackberry user. I traded up my BB for an iPhone, which was "OK," then to an Android device. Finally I made the transition to a Windows Phone when the Focus was released. I was blown away by the simplicity of the OS, and how powerfully integrated it was into the overall experience of the phone. The only thing that the original Focus lacked was the new and exciting features of the new devices. (front facing camera, faster processor, copy/paste)
Then comes the mango update, then the Focus S. It more than makes up for the 2yrs I was attached to the 1st gen Focus. The Super AMOLED display is crisp, and vibrantly colored. The phone polish is nice, though I didn't appreciate the fact that it is almost a carbon copy of the Galaxy S II. My only gripe is that the battery cover feels brittle. But, it doesn't take away from the overall quality feel of the phone. Honestly, you should never have to pull it off after the initial battery insertion. The OS is so stable, that you will almost never have to battery pull.
The 1.4Ghz processor is snappy, making gaming and overall feel of the phone a pleasure to use. Battery life is just OK. It's the nature of Super AMOLED. So expect to charge nightly. (hardcore gamers should carry an extra battery, as you will be juiceless 2 - 3 times a day)
If you are in the market for a new device, are tired of Smart phones that are app driven, need a fresh user experience, and can appreciate seamless integration throughout your device, the Focus S is the one for you. It's not as open as Android or as closed as iOS. It's also not a chore to use like Android, nor dummy-ed up like iOS. It fits nicely in the middle.
Basically the downsides are short battery, Marketplace with 50k apps, and uninspired design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone!, January 6, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Focus S (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I am new to Windows Phone, I had a HTC EVO 4G and the Focus S is a million times better in every way. Microsoft has done an amazing job with the software, it runs super fast and apps open fast and don't crash, at least not yet. I've had my new phone for two months now and I find it to be easy and fun to use, when I had my Android phone it was a sluggish painful experience hoping that my text messages and emails would send or having to always go into an app just to turn off other apps that would run in the background slowing the OS to a crawl. Give Windows Phone a chance, if anyone gives it a fair shake and spends a few days with the phone I think it would be the phone to own, even better than the iPhone. I've also had no issues finding apps that I want in the marketplace and the apps are actually better than Andriod apps, they look better and seem to be faster. If you are on the fence on which Windows Phone to buy I highly recommend the Focus S because of two reason... batterly life is amazing and it has Gorilla glass! I don't like cases and shield protectors and you don't need it with this phone. I have dropped it and banged it around and it looks brand new. Aesthetically it's thin and sleek and fits perfectly in my pocket, the other day I put it next to my friends iPhone and it makes the iPhone look blocky and ugly in comparision. I love this phone and I am very impressed with what Microsoft has created with Windows Phone 7.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Phone, January 6, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Focus S (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
It's a solid and fantastic phone, what else can I say? MUCH longer battery life than Android, the interface is beautiful and really super easy to use. One of the best phones I have ever used!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hardware build quality isn't the best, but overall it's a GREAT phone!!, December 23, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Focus S (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
First let me start off with the bad, the Focus S is made by Samsung. That alone should be telling enough. Anyone that has ever owned, seen or used any of their smartphones in the last 2 years or so will understand what i mean. Whether it be their now top of the line Android phone the Galaxy Nexus, the Galaxy S II, Galaxy S, Nexus S or Samsung Focus...all the phones are made out of plastic, feel very light in hand, and this lack of heft tends to give them the feel of cheapness or fragility. It really isn't the case, as I can say I had dropped my older Samsung Captivate (AT&T's Galaxy S) and Samsung Focus on the ground many times, with little more than minor scuffs resulting, but still...you will always have the feeling of "wow this phone is almost too light" if you're like me and value the use of premium materials in gadgets. And as far as the bad, that's really it. Let's move on.

I actually upgraded to this phone from the Samsung Focus, and I must say that it is actually worth every penny for me. I started with Window Phone 7 last year, so I can say I'm pretty well versed in the ins and outs of the phone. But this phone loaded with Windows Phone 7.5 "Mango" is really something great. The OS isn't as featured filled as iOS and not as customizable as Android, but conversely it isn't hampered by the "walled garden" of Apple nor does it have some of the incohesive and unpolished issues of Android - if you've used an Android phone for more than a day, you're surely aware of the instability, sometimes slow update schedule and random errors like "force close".
All in all, the OS has it's shortcomings and lack of features, but what it has done so far, it's completely nailed in execution.

As far as the actual phone hardware itself (besides the build quality I mentioned before)it's great to be honest. The camera takes really good pictures, especially in low light conditions, the screen is amazing and has incredible color reproduction and black levels, and it's really one of the thinnest phones on the market. Would have been nice if there was a 32GB option for people that really do a lot of syncing of music, videos and podcasts, but i can't nit pick. Otherwise it's a great phone, won't regret the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best. Phone. Ever., December 4, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Focus S (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I bought this phone about a month ago and it is terrific (after seeing my phone, my wife immediately ditched her Blackberry and bought one for herself too). Big, beautiful 4.3" screen that really has to be seen to be appreciated (video just looks fantastic). However, the phone is so thin and light, that even with all that screen real estate it still fits easily in my jeans pocket.

The Windows Phone operating system is also a real pleasure to use and super smooth and responsive. The live tiles are cool, different, and actually deliver useful information. The social network integration is really cool and allows you to interact with Facebbok, Linkedin, etc. all from one place. Microsoft Office integration is slick and allows one to access documents from anywhere--desktop, to Skydrive, to phone, back to desktop.

There are so many other things integrated into the phone, that I keep stumbling onto stuff I would normally expect to need an app for. Voice commands are built in: Want to text someone? Just tell the phone who, dictate the message, and then tell the phone to send it--done! Looking for an Italian restaurant nearby? Just ask the phone to find you one. Want to launch an app? Tell the phone to launch it and...wallah! Not sure why there is some much hype about Siri on the iphone, because this phone seems to do everything it does and more (for some reason Siri can't launch apps). Also, visual recognition (bar codes, etc.), audio recognition (who sings that song?) are integrated into the Bing search engine.

Haven't tried the XBox integration yet, but we're getting the kids one for Christmas (yes, dear, it's for the kids...hah!), so that's next.

It has an 8 megapixel camera and also a smaller front facing camera so you can make videocalls. Skype isn't available yet on Windows Phone--although Microsoft owns it, so I'm not sure why--but there are other apps for that. Battery life has been good--makes it through the whole day with plenty of juice to spare.

Only knock I can really give the phone is the dearth of apps compared to Android and Apple; however, the Windows Phone has only been out for one year and already has about 40,000 apps in the marketplace and the number is growing rapidly.

Bottom line: You should try this phone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jump from WinMo6 to 7.5 via Focus S - Awesome!, November 30, 2011
John IV (Snohomish, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Focus S (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Loving the Samsung Focus S! I'd been wanting to get into the WinPhone eco-system, but was waiting for the second gen hardware and the Focus S was top of the heap with its super amoled plus screen, Nokia's US launch lagging, and the Titan too big for us. My wife and I picked them up for a cent each during Thanksgiving with Amazon/AT&T's deal but I would have paid full price were we out of that promotion. We are coming all the way from Sprint and a HTC Touch Diamond, that's WinMo 6.0. Laugh. Had them for about a week+ now.

First off the Windows Phone OS (Mango) is as smooth and slick as advertised; having used Win7 Media Center and Zune it was an easy transition and so much more logically laid out for task oriented 'computing' than dropping in and out of non-related apps. I retired my trusty Zune and play 13GB of music on the phone during my commutes. We use the seamless texting between Facebook and Live Messenger utilizing the voice to text to voice capabilities and for the majority of the time gets the dictation correct. I like the linked emails so they can all be culled together and viewed quickly at one time.

I love the screen, it's just gorgeous, the black levels and color saturation really pop. Since I dock/charge nightly I just run it at full brightness w/ no auto-dimming. Still ramping up on games and social media aspect of it but so far it's been wonderful. The 4.3" and thin form factor is about as big as I personally would go on a phone, it fits our hands well and allows for less cramped typing. As others have said, it is very light, you don't notice it in your front pocket. I enjoy the smooth navigation throughout the UI, flicking, sliding pinching is a far cry from using the stylus to do that in the old WinMo phones.

Only a few niggles, 1. When connected via mini-stereo out to my car audio I hear a 'snap snap' between each song as it's playing in Music + Pictures. 2. Storage, 16GB is ok but I took a big hit pruning down from my 120GB Zune. 3. Wish there was a setting to keep the phone from locking when I'm driving and playing music on it (5 minute max time out currently).

Overall we're very very happy w/ the phones and would heartily recommend them!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Reason to Never leave the Windows Phone OS, November 28, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Focus S (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I simply love this phone. Amazing screen, great OS, and a surprising battery life. Some may say to go with the Titan because it is bigger, however I feel it is too big. That is a preference though. This phone is the perfect size. Could go on, but will keep the review short.

Get This Phone!

4.0 out of 5 stars it's too thin!, November 12, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Focus S (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I've been looking forward to a larger and non-pentile display for my WP7.5 compared to all the large Android devices out there. Coming from a Samsung Focus which I was quite happy with, it was nice that the cable and chargers are compatible. I was bummed that there wasn't a microSD expansion slot but managed to make it work with the zune wireless sync features. Also, it was unclear from the terrible AT&T and Samsung spec pages but there is indeed the FM radio feature (as part of the zune app).

I'm really amazed how thin the Focus S is and didn't initially plan to get a case but decided to afterwards since there is very little purchase for your fingers to wrap around. The extra screen real estate is great for news apps although I was a bit surprised that the tint turns a bit blue-ish when viewing angle turns extreme. Not a day to day issue at all. Also, it's nice that the camera is centered rather than at one of the edges as it's easier to get used to the angle.

The original Focus having the micro-USB was nice as it was easier to keep charged and using the device unlike the Focus S which is at the bottom (also like the iPhones).

The one buggy feature is that the ambient light sensor doesn't seem to control the display brightness very well - had to turn the feature off.

FInally, the snap on case on the back is interesting as it doesn't cover the entire back of the device. Not many reasons to do a soft reset anyway with the stability of Mango.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 58 | Next ›