5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT TABLET, GREAT PRICE!
This is my review of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1. This review is not incentivized by Samsung in any way. I purchased the product for my own use.

What is it?

Published 6 months ago by jwstaton

3.0 out of 5 stars I like it BUT......
Published 6 months ago by Bruce

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT TABLET, GREAT PRICE!, May 2, 2014

What is it?

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 is the aforementioned company’s latest foray into the midrange tablet market. With these tablets you’re not likely to find a “retina display” or anything over 720p resolution, but they’re more reasonably priced, and therefore, more likely to be adopted by more people.

Specifications

Processor: 1.2 GHz Quad Core
Memory: 1.5GB
Storage: 16GB with additional microSD slot
Display: 1280×800
Operating System: Android Kit Kat 4.4 with Samsung’s TouchWiz UI
As you can see, those specs really aren’t too shabby, but they’re definitely not bleeding edge technology. However, having the latest and greatest isn’t always the best. For example, I recently purchased the higher end Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 and was utterly disappointed in it. Yes, the screen was beautiful but you could tell that not a lot of games had been properly coded for that resolution as the HD graphics appeared pixelated and blocky. Also, the Tab Pro suffered from massive lag and stuttering when when navigating through the operating system. You can read about my experience with that tablet here. It was promptly returned to Best Buy.

Back to the Galaxy Tab 4.

As mentioned earlier, it runs Kit Kat 4.4 with Samsung’s custom TouchWiz user interface over top. In my opinion, this isn’t a bad thing since I have never been a fan of HTC’s Sense UI. It sadly still comes packed full of bloatware that I almost always remove if possible.

Initial Thoughts

Being an ex-member of the cult of Steve Jobs, I am still getting used to the Android world and the lack of high resolution displays in some products. The Galaxy S5, which I own, has the best display and form factor on the market right now. Are you listening Apple? Thankfully, there are cheaper Android tablets available that still offer a high quality user experience.

Once you go through the obligatory setup screens and sync your applications, the tablet is zippy and runs with no lag whatsoever. Overall memory utilization is low when using several apps at once and multi-tasking.

Display

OK, this is a 720p display. You will notice a difference if using an S5 and then the Galaxy Tab 4 – but let’s not compare the two. The 1280×800 screen is actually quite beautiful and bright. This is one of the brighter screens I’ve seen on a midrange tablet. Text is sharp as are the graphics, both are quickly rendered thanks to the 1.5GB RAM and quad core processor. Yes, I think it should be a 1080p panel, but it’s a $319 tablet.

Performance

I was able to open apps and switch between them fairly quickly. This little tablet is definitely more responsive than it’s bigger, more expensive brother. Even under heavy use the Tab 4 performed excellent. It’s able to handle video encoded to 1080p with no stutter, even though it’s obviously rendered at 720p on the screen. No complaints at all about performance.

Final Impressions

I’m still an Apple fanboy, just now living in an Android world. I really like the Galaxy Tab 4. It’s fast, responsive, light, and does what I need it to do. I feel like for the most part, I could ditch my laptop when traveling. That is, as long as I’m not running a GoPro, or editing HD video.

The display is not as sharp as I like, but the applications and games I use are not upated to be displayed yet at the higher resolutions on the Tab Pro.

Kit Kat has grown, the OS takes up about 4GB of the internal 16GB, and by the time you add-in the Samsung applications and associated bloatware, you have only about 9GB of usable space. That almost sounds like a Surface tablet, no? LOL Sorry, couldn’t resist. Samsung says the answer is to use a microSD card – which you will want to do immediately. They state on their site, that a maximum of 64GB is supported, although I am tempted to buy a 128GB and try it. I know those work in the S5.

So, should you buy it? If you like new gadgets, sure. If you want a great performing Android tablet for a great price, absolutely. I can’t really find anything wrong with this little guy. It’s a keeper.

UPDATE

I pre-ordered the Galaxy Tab 4 on Amazon at $349. It was released May 1st, and it looks like the price was dropped to $319.99, making it an even better value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tablet in 10" range, better resolution was expected, May 1, 2014
Samsung has done it again. They are releasing tablets at very periodic intervals. Samsung's fourth generation of Galaxy Tab series is as expected and for this price point phenomenal. I have been using Galaxy Tab 2 and 3 and I am very much impressed with Galaxy line of devices. In my opinion 8" is the maximum value for the money and features and hence I gave 8" a 5 star. If you are looking for playing games/reading books, 10.1” is good. I really wish this had a better resolution. Hence only 4 stars for pixels per density for this tablet.

Samsung has introduced 7", 8" and 10.1" of the Tab 4 series. This year the space has become crowded as Samsung also has 8.4”, 10.1” and 12.2” Tab Pro Series. They are pricier, but if you can afford I very STRONGLY suggest you get the PRO series just for one thing - RESOLUTION. I was really hoping the Tab series will go to a larger resolution. But again price/performance is a factor that drives Samsung to make devices at all ranges.

Let's start off with salient points of all of the Galaxy Tab 4 series. I will later compare with the previous Tab 3 models. I have also listed brief specs of current leading tablets at the very end if you would like to really compare and shop. If you have Tab 3, don’t upgrade. No need to. Those devices worked well a year back and still are. The photos look just as beautiful on them as they did a year ago!

Some Tab 4 specs have certainly become better, but not in a revolutionary sense. The pixels per inch ppi is the best in 7” among all of Galaxy Tab 4 series. That is because all have same resolution and size is the variable. For a first time user, you will be blown away by the feature set now. The tablets have multi user profiles, so each user can customize like a home PC.

Look at three specs that really interest you and nail down the tablet you need. Look at the big picture, what you want from a tablet now, a year from now, what your family needs out of this and make a decision.

7-inch Galaxy Tab 4 tablet: 1280x800, 216 ppi, 1.2 GHz Quad-Core, 1.5GB RAM, 8GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD card slot (up to 32 GB), Camera: 3MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 9.74 oz. (276 grams). Android 4.4.2

8-inch Galaxy Tab 4 tablet: 1280x800, 189 ppi, Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 1.2 GHz Quad-Core, 1.5GB RAM, 16GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD card slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 3MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 11.1 oz. (315 grams). Android 4.4.2

10.1-inch Galaxy Tab 4 model: 1280x800, Qualcomm Snapdragon, 149 ppi, 1.2 GHz Quad-Core, 1.5GB RAM, 16GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD card slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 3MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 17.3 oz. (490 grams). Android 4.4.2

Look at the salient points of all of the Galaxy Tab 3 series.

7-inch Galaxy Tab 3 tablet: 1024 x 600, Marvell dual-core 1.2GHz processor, 1GB RAM, 8GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD card slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 3MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 10.58 oz. (300 grams). Android 4.1.2

8-inch Galaxy Tab 3 model: 1280 x 800, Exynos 1.5GHz dual-core processor, 1.5GB ram, 16GB of built-in storage (ROM), a microSD slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 5MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 10.9 oz. (309 grams) Android 4.2

10.1-inch Galaxy Tab 3 model: 1280 x 800, Intel Atom 1.6GHz Z2560 dual-core processor, 1GB RAM, a 16GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 3.2MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 17.99 oz. (510 grams). Android 4.2

I am not going into other details like accelerometer etc. as they are all standard these days, Audio support - AAC, AMR, MP3, OGG, WMA/ASF, 3GA/M4A, FLAC, WAV; MP3/MP4/Music Tones; Music Player; Ringtones, Polyphonic. Video support: AVI/DIVX, WMV/ASF, FLV, MKV, MP4/3GP, WEBM; Video Player; Video Streaming.

The 10.1" has a physical home button so are others in the series. Also has capacitive Back and Menu buttons. Camera is a 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for skype, and a 3-megapixel rear-facing camera. It is also equipped with an IR blaster so it will work as a universal remote on both your TV and cable box. Camera is only so and so, and I will not rely on it to produce outstanding photos. Weighs very lightweight. SD card capability is awesome! With prices plummeting for microSD GB cards, it is a great boon. Put all your music, books, photos on the SD card and you have a powerful computer in hand always! I personally use the 64 GB microSD card on my mobile devices. Get this mobileUltra (SanDisk 64GB Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC Class 6 Memory Card with SD Adapter - Retail Packaging.

This has Bluetooth 4.0" and have USB Host. USB Host is one of the most under noticed features of Androids and is in my opinion one of the best features compared to iPad lines. What this means you get a USB Host cable also otherwise called OTG (On the Go) cables and plug in your USB thumb drive or other USB devices and the device recognizes it. I have used it with Alfa AWUS036H for a wireless project with Android PCAP Capture from reputable Kismet wireless. GPS was spot on and I tried multiple GPS apps. It was bright outdoors (had to crank the brightness all the way up). I personally use Navigon from Garmin and have downloaded several apps.

Finally, believe me, don't get mired in the spec game. All devices perform most of common functions.

7” Tab is smallest, portable
8” Tab is biggers, readable
8.4” TAB PRO awesome crisp resolution - Best pixel density of all 6 Tab 4 and TAB Pro versions
10.1” TAB gameplay
10.1” TAB Pro games/books/sharper resolution
12.2” Bring on the books and Glossy magazines!

If you are reading books, browsing, listening to music, looking at photos, playing games 10.1"is definitely great. Samsung is creating markets for all form factors and I would consider this as an exploratory stage. Just like Ford or Toyota has cars in different shapes, sizes and price range, so are the tablet vendors now. Remember the laptop wars, 10", 12" 13", 15, 17 and even some 19" if I remember right few years ago. We used to debate endlessly which laptop sizes are better, which has better speakers and so on. The time has come to fight it out for tablets!

I tried following apps and they just worked awesome. A tablet is only as good as the apps you have and how productive it makes you. It's almost like the camera/lens analogy in the DSLR space. What good it is to have a great DSLR body if you have no good lens? Same with Tablet body and apps you have.

WolframAlpha (I can go on for hours praising this. This is a truly genius app powered by hundreds of supercomputers in the background. Wolfram is a computational genius).
Withings HealthMate. (another remarkable app great UI/UX). I am getting the Pulse device as soon as it hit stores.)
Aldiko Book Reader Premium (absolutely love it)
Amazon Mobile
Android Central app (great and must have for Android users)
Amazon App Store
Battery Monitor Widget Pro (a great app)
BeyondPod (excellent for podcasts, I haven't used Pocketcast, some friends say it is very good too)
Box
Chrome
Dictionary M-W Premium
NAVIGON (from Garmin - offline maps)
Google Navigation/Earth/Maps using a portable MiFi box
Google Currents (nice way to read News)
Google Keep/Keyboard/Drive/Search/Books/Voice/Hangouts
Ebay
Linkedin
Google Music (Awesome, I have now upto 10,000 songs halfway through Google's 20K Limit)
Tapatalk HD (awesome forum browsing app)
Microsoft One Note (legacy docs, skydrive of 25 GB is good)
Subsonic Music Streamer
TweetCaster Pro for Android
Skype
RealCalc Plus (Awesome calculator app)
Tweetcaster Pro (again awesomeness)
Plenty of Widgets

Ask questions, the reviews cannot do full justice. I will be glad to answer any questions and usually answer within 24 hours to any query.

APPENDIX: Overview of other tablets in the market.

Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 8.4-Inch {B,W}, WQXGA 2560 x 1600, 359 ppi, 2.3 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad-core processor, 2 GB RAM, 16/[32] GB Flash, microSD upto 64 GB, 8MP Rear + 2MP Front, 331 gm, Android 4.4 Kit Kat OS, 8.62 x 5.06 x 0.28 in, microUSB, GPS yes. 4800 mAh battery (best resolution on a tablet!)

Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 10.1 {B, W}, WQXGA 2560x1600, 298 ppi, Exynos® 5 Octa (1.9GHz Quadcore + 1.3 GHz Quadcore), 2 GB RAM, 16/[32] GB Flash, microSD upto 64 GB, 8MP Rear + 2MP Front, 469 gm, Android 4.4 KitKat, 9.57 x 6.75 x 0.29 in, microUSB, GPS: y, 8,200mAh battery

Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 12.2 {B, W}, WQXGA 2560x1600, 247 ppi, Exynos® 5 Octa (1.9GHz Quadcore + 1.3 GHz Quadcore), 3 GB RAM, 32GB/64GB Flash, microSD upto 64 GB, 8MP Rear + 2MP Front, 732 gm, Android 4.4 KitKat, 11.64 x 8.03 x 0.31 in, microUSB, GPS: y, 9500mAh battery

Samsung Galaxy NotePRO 12.2 {B, W}, WQXGA 2560x1600, 247 ppi, Exynos® 5 Octa (1.9GHz Quadcore + 1.3 GHz Quadcore), 3 GB RAM, 32/64 GB Flash, microSD card slot up to 64GB, 8MP Rear + 2MP Front, 748 gm, Android 4.4 KitKat, 11.64 x 8.03 x 0.33 in, microUSB 3.0 port with backwards compatibility with microUSB 2.0, GPS - y, 9500mAh battery, S-Pen, NFC, Ethernet connectivity via adapter.

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" model: 2560 x 1600, 339 ppi, Snapdragon 800 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2 GB RAM, 16/32/64 Flash Memory, No microSD card, 8MP rear-facing camera, front-facing 720p HD camera, 374 grams, FireOS 3.0, 9.1 x 6.2 x 0.31 inches, microUSB, GPS:no [cellular versions have GPS]

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1" 2014 Edition: 2560x1600, 299 ppi, 1.9GHz Samsung Exynos 5420 Quad-Core Processor, 3GB RAM, 16/32 GB Flash Memory, microSD slot:yes(upto 64 GB), 8MP rear camera and 2 MP front-facing camera, 560 grams, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS, 9.57 x 6.75 x 0.31 inches, microUSB, GPS:yes. S-Pen (flagship),

iPAD Air 9.7" (2013): 2048 x 1536 resolution, 264 ppi, A7/M7/64 bit processor, Flash Memory: 16/32/64/128 GB, SD Card:no, 5 MP back, 1.2 MP front, 469 grams, iOS 7, 9.4 x 6.6 x 0.29 in, lightning port, GPS:no [cellular versions have GPS]

Google Nexus 10" model: 2560 x 1600, 300 ppi, CPU: Dual-core A15, 2GB RAM, 16/32 GB, SD:no, rear:5 MP, front:1.9 MP, 603g, 10.4" x 7" x 0.35", mcroUSB, GPS:yes

You should come up with three top three specs you want and should be able to nail it down with the above spec. If you have doubts shoot me a comment, I can help! I hope the key specs I have consolidated here of all the tablets will help you narrow down and help in buying the right tablet for your needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars I believe that this is the best tablet on the market., May 20, 2014
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (10.1-Inch 16GB, White) (Personal Computers)
This product is an iPad crusher. I have several iPads, iPhones, iPods and Mac computers. I love Apple products but this Samsung Tab 4 is better, faster, easier to use and comes with a host of standard features that Apple does not even have available such as opening most attachments, file system connectivity and what I love is the enhanced print features. Finally, there's the price. At half the price there is no question that this is the tablet to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet!, June 4, 2014
Let's face it, everyone wants to know how it compares to the God of tablets: the iPad. It's every bit as good. Now that it's common for people to jail break their iPads to be more like Droid devices, it's pretty obvious which is more user friendly.

The only downside of going with Droid rather than Apple is the app availability, but that's hardly the fault of a device. Strictly speaking, this thing is awesome. I didn't buy it over the iPad to save a couple hundred bucks, I bought it because it's more versatile and practical.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet if it fits your needs., September 12, 2014
J. Sanders "IT Guy" (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I have been a tablet owner for many years, and have owned several different ones. I started years ago with a Motorola Xoom, then upgraded to a Galaxy Tab and then to Tab 2. I now own a Galaxy Note 2014. This purchase in particular was for my mother-in-law who has been my new baby's nanny while my wife has gone back to work. I LOVE Samsung products, and this tablet certainly does not disappoint. It is very fast, and has the bells and whistles that make Samsung products great.

The parts of this that made me ding it back to a 4-star though are more nit picky. First, my mother-in-law was planning to use this to also take pictures. That would have been great, except this tablet does NOT have a flash on it. I was extremely surprised, as the previous Tab's had flashes. Had I known this, I would not have made this purchase. I believe on these later models, they did away with this option and have put that onto the Pro version. In the end though, it is my fault for not double checking on this prior to purchasing. The other gripe I have, is the limitation of drive space. Me personally, I watch videos and such while commuting on a train and space is very important. However, since there is a microSD port, this is not of too big a concern for me.

All in all, this is a very fast and good tablet. Just be sure that it fits your needs well. If you intend to take pictures with it, I would recommend upgrading to the Pro version as it has the flash (which you will certainly miss if you take pictures). If you are just wanting to play games, surf the web and do email, then this tablet is an excellent option.

As with all my reviews, feel free to ask any questions and I will be happy to answer them.

3.0 out of 5 stars I like it BUT......, May 18, 2014
Bruce (Bismarck, ND) - See all my reviews
Got our Galaxy 10.1 and were very anxious to get started with it. Everything went fine until we tried to link up devices with bluetooth. We like it BUT it turns out that some of these tablets have problems with Bluetooth and we must have gotten one of them. Other than that so far it has been good. I need to contact Amazon and find out what can be done about the Bluetooth issue.

Note: I did do some research on this and found that Samsung does not have a fix and they really do not seem to know what to do about it. So if you want to purchase one make sure it will scan and detect bluetooth devices before you purchase it.

1.0 out of 5 stars I regret buying it, August 26, 2014
Very disappointed. It does not charge while it's on and barely charges while off. I've only had it for a bit over a week.
It is the second Samsung product I've had charging issues with.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware....Warranty is not honored!, August 7, 2014
I never write reviews on products, but I have to on this one....I had my tablet for about 6 months and it stopped charging. I went through the proper channels to send it off to get repaired by Samsung as there is a 1 yr warranty on the tablet. Once they got my tablet it took them 2 weeks to get back to me to tell me they weren't going to honor the warranty because there was a scratch on it (not even near where you connect the charger), but I could pay the $199 out of warranty fee to get it repaired or have them send it back to me not fixed. What does a scratch have to do with it not charging??? They wouldn't tell me why it wasn't charging; if it was the battery or the connection on the tablet, just that I had to pay them $199 to have it fixed. This is what the email said, "In order to repair the unit, we would need an out of warranty fee of $199.00. If you would prefer not to pay this fee, we can ship the unit back to you unrepaired at no cost." I will NOT pay this "out of warranty fee" nor will I EVER purchase another Samsung product again! I would not recommend this to anyone as they do not honor their warranty! My girlfriend had the same problem with her's too and they refused to honor her warranty as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Tablet out there, May 26, 2014
I love this Tablet. The battery life is incredible!! Processor is very fast. Couldn't ask for a better Tablet. Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tablet, Great Price, Easy to Use, August 29, 2014
I bought this tablet about 2 months ago and I have to say it really is everything I hoped for. I was looking for a tablet that I could easily use apps that I used on my iphone (facebook, twitter, netflix, hbogo, other games) and I also wanted a tablet where I could store documents. This tablet gives you the Play Store where you can get so many apps that you have on your apple devices. You can also save documents and upload files when writing emails, applying for jobs, etc. I use this tablet daily and it makes everything so much easier that I can carry around this small device.

I was debating between this size and the size one step down and I have to say I am incredibly happy with my decision to take the larger device. You can get this larger screen for a fairly cheap price compared to other brands and it is a great screen. Like I said I use my tablet for watching movies/tv, going on apps/playing games, sending documents, and using the internet. I have no issue with the quality of the screen, in my opinion there is nothing wrong- it looks exactly like how it does on other devices. This device is also very easy to use and understand. If you're debating between tablets I would strongly consider this one and this larger size because price makes a big difference.