5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome device!
Published on April 16, 2011 by tr1an

2.0 out of 5 stars Honestly not worth it
This was my first Android device. Probably won't be the last, but it left a bitter taste in my mouth. I ended up returning the Tab after a few weeks with it. The problems were numerous.

Published on May 11, 2011 by Adam

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome device!, April 16, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab (7-inch, 16GB, Wi-Fi) (Personal Computers)
I just got this a couple of days ago, and been playing around with it since. I can't put it down! Didn't charge it until after two days. It's amazing how light and portable it is. With my commute, it's an excellent device to carry with me. Much lighter than any iPads, Xoom, or any other upcoming Honeycomb devices. The price, well, it's EXCELLENT!! I use it mostly for reading books and browsing. Wherever I go now, there's mostly WiFi, so this is perfect. The screen clarity is AMAZING! Much much better than Motorola Xoom.

Galaxy tab feels like a conveniently oversized Android phone, and that is a GOOD thing, because of my familiarity with Android phones. The icons look conveniently big now. Unlike Honeycomb, most applications run great because it's technically a software for phone. Pandora, book reading apps, Pulse, all run great!

I'd actually give it a 4.5 star instead of five, just because of some things:
- Some apps appear to be stretched, so sometimes it's not that pleasing to the eyes.
- Qik doesn't work. This defeats the purpose of including it in the first place.
- No video chat for Skype or GTalk. It's not Samsung's fault, but maybe they should nudge Google. After all, they do make a Nexus S for them, which also has a front facing camera.
- When connected to a PC, it doesn't charge. What gives?!

Other than that, I think this is an excellent device. I hope that Samsung would upgrade this to Gingerbread at some point, and change the charging policy.

Do not compare this with an iPad (which I do own). They are completely different in apps and interface. I still don't understand why people keep comparing the two, and always in search of an 'iPad Killer'. iPad is a great product in its own merit, and so is Galaxy Tab 7 WiFi. I'd rather that these manufacturers just make products that perform well, instead of trying to kill others.

Update:

It does have GPS antenna and it functions well. I did a turn-by-turn navigation yesterday, and it worked perfectly. The trick is, you'd need an internet connection for the map to do navigation. I used a phone WiFi hotspot.

The internal memory is 16 gB, and the RAM is 512. It does not come with a Micro SD card but it does have the slot. So if you want to add the storage, you would have to buy your own and put it into the Micro SD slot.

I have not tried bluetooth yet. I might try that today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful device, April 18, 2011
UncleSam (TX United States) - See all my reviews
I wanted to wait for Galaxy Tab 8.9, but just decided to get this since I preferred 7 inch screen for more portability reason. This device is just half the size of iPad. I use this device for watching movies I downloaded which are divx, xvid, mkv codec movies. So far, I haven't had any problem playing any types of movie files I have. It even plays .mkv file over 3GB. One thing to clarify on the other review is that connecting to PC USB port actually charges (but slowly) somehow status says it's not being charged. Same thing happen when I connect to an external battery, it slowly charges, but status says it's not being charged.

Pros:
-you can watch HD video in original format (divx, xvid, mkv, etc) without conversion.
-wifi-only version has GPS (unlike iPad). I installed MapDroyd(lets you download maps) for off-line navigation
-full support of Flash (so far, no issues accessing flash sites that I usually visit)
-SD card slot (for up to 32GB)
-comes with ThinkFree office (you can read .doc .pdf, and etc)
-you have choice of 3 app stores (Google Market, Amazon app store, Samsung app store) Samsung app for u.s. version has only few apps now, but hope it grows bigger
-portable size - you can hold with one hand, and it goes into your pocket
-you can connect to any pc to transfer the files (movies, musics, docs, etc) unlike iPad which requires iTunes.

Cons:
-Reader's Hub is missing somehow.
-Proprietary connector instead of mini or micro USB
-most of the apps I installed work fine with the resolution, but a few apps are displayed smaller in the center (for example: Engadget app)

So far, I'm very happy with the purchase. I own iPad too, but recently I haven't really used iPad because this tablet. I wish I get gingerbread upgrade for Galaxy Tab soon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Honestly not worth it, May 11, 2011

1.) This is the most egregious. The Galaxy Tab Wi-Fi is dramatically lower spec'd than its 3G counterparts. Therefore, every review you can find online does not apply. It has an older generation processor (Arm v7 vs. Arm v8), the graphics processor is also a generation behind and dramatically lower in speed (530 vs. the 540). What does this mean to non tech geeks? The buttery smooth performance you see in reviews for the earlier Tabs is replaced by slow scrolling in webpages, the homescreen taking several seconds to work when you rotate the device, and games simply not working. I couldn't believe Samsung would completely cripple the device like this but a casual glance at the product page produces this gem "features and specifications subject to change without prior notification". It is absolutely insane a major tech company has that disclaimer on a product page, and the fact they don't advertise the radical difference between the devices is shameful.

2.) Another major consequence is one of the coolest features of the 3G Tabs is not present here, HDMI out. HDMI out does not work on the Wi-Fi only version. Probably a result of Sammy putting the Wi-Fi only Tab a generation behind the 3G version.

3.) Finally, this really cemented my decision to return it. I can handle the inferior performance, grudgingly, but I can take it. I can't handle the fact that this device is Wi-Fi only and it doesn't properly connect to Wi-Fi. When I first got the device I had trouble connecting it to networks. After resetting it like 5 times and assigning a static IP address to it, it finally randomly worked. Then, after a couple of weeks and no change on my part I got the same connection problems! Now, after a few more resets, I finally had it. Less you think its just me, google Galaxy Tab Wi-Fi problems and marvel at how widespread they are.

Simply put, Samsung is launching new tablets next month (June 8th), and they've clearly given up on the current Tab despite it launching only a couple of weeks ago. Save your money and wait, I promise you this device will only bring frustration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tablet For Reading, April 19, 2011
Just received the Galaxy Tab WiFi yesterday and so far I'm very happy with it. It was easy to set up, preloaded with a lot of useful apps, and generally intuitive when learning how to navigate around it.

I'm mainly going to read books and surf the Internet. It does this flawlessly. The display is bright and clear. It is also highly responsive to touch (on par with Apple's products). This is so important. I realized this awhile ago when I purchased a Cruz tablet. It was a chore to navigate the device because the touchscreen was not very good.

I bought the Galaxy Tab WiFi because of the 7" form factor. I think it's great for reading and surfing the web. I've been reading a book with the Kindle app over the past day and it works beautifully. It's not tiring at all to hold the Tab and the text is crystal clear. And jumping on the web is a breeze. The processor has no problem quickly moving from page to page, pulling up photos and graphics with ease. And I haven't brought it out of the house yet, but I will. It's perfectly sized for travel.

There is still a ton of stuff I can do with the Tab that I haven't tried yet. I'm new to the world of Android (I sent the Cruz tablet back after a day) so I'm still getting my feet wet. It really is a fun product with plenty of entertainment value. It is definitely worth the money. It may be a bit more than some of the other 7" WiFi tablets, but it is a high quality product with a solid build.

I've mainly used Apple products up until now. I have an iPhone and have had an iPod Touch. Both are wonderful devices. I used those in conjunction with my Kindle for the majority of my reading over the past few years. I'm transitioning away from Apple, though. They're threatening to force Kindle sales to go thru iTunes if you buy a book while in your Kindle app on your Apple device. Apple would then get a cut of the sale. There are all kind of potential repercussions to this new policy (Higher prices, Kindle app being removed from Apple devices, etc). As a supporter of Amazon and huge Kindle lover, I'm not going to be part of that. It made buying the Galaxy Tab WiFi an even better idea for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for basics, outdated already. Reliance on Samsung shady..., May 4, 2011
AJ Runner "ajrunr" (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This tablet is fine for basic users. Email, web, news, kindle.
If that's all you want and you desire this size of tablet, this is a good option. Just know that this is basically it, and it probably won't be updated.
This feels like a rushed out version so that Samsung could compete with the ipad 2. Specs aren't top of the line (obviously to make it cheaper $$).
But, it still works.

--- The Good ---
- Size (if you don't want a 10")
- Battery Life: No complaints, easily goes a day with solid use
- Screen: beautiful and nice
- Touch Response: seems good to me
- SD Card
- Swype

--- The OK ---
- Android 2.2: Not made for tablets, but is usable here (for basic users).
- Android Software: If you are an apple (pad, phone, etc) user, this is a step back. I'm an iphone guy and this takes a while to get use to. Part of it is Android, part of it is Samsung and the tablet. I think you need to be a bit more techie to use Android.
- Browser: basic, not great.
- Text selection: sometimes it works....other times it doesn't. Doesn't work at all in the native email app.
- Weight: It's not much lighter than an ipad.
- Apps not full screen: a lot of apps are made for the phones, not the tablets which use the same software
- Cameras: not great...probably close to bad actually.
- Screen rotation: not immediate, but not awful
- Overall speed: not terrible in response time, but really not great. Not snappy for sure. And unless they get a better OS (2.3 or 3.0) this isn't going to get better.

--- The Bad ---
- Specs: CPU, GPU, OS not top of the line. In that sense, it's outdated already.
- Lack of support from Samsung
- Most likely future lack of support from Samsung. With their new tablets coming out, this will likely not be supported much. Will it ever get Android 2.3 or 3.0 (Honeycomb)? This is a huge, question. And honestly, if this is a big deal for you, skip this tablet. It won't likely happen. Just my guess though. (again, people can put things on their tablets, it just violates the warranty)
- Lower specs than the 3g version. They don't mention that, but the GPU is older and slower than the 3G version. But Samsung doesn't really tell you that.
- Native email app: No cut and paste (seriously). Email app is clunky and many 3rd party ones aren't much better. The Gmail app is ok, not great.
- Installed Apps can't be deleted. The WSJ app is installed, which you need a subscription to use. But you can't delete it. And it can access the internet and system logs whenever it wants to. How ethical is that? What is it doing? Who knows, but I don't like that. I find that a big issue for me.
- Start up logo and sound: Annoying and no way to shut it off (without Rooting)
- Apps that don't work for this tablet: others talk about this in better detail, but they restrict apps for this particular tablet
- No Netflix (an Android thing). Boo.

I you want a 7" tablet, are going to use it for very basic things and are ok with the "As-Is", this is a good option. If you want this to root it, play around and possibly improve on it, it's good. And the "developer community" likes to make things available. So...there's that.

I'm on the fence about this tablet. Not sure if I'll return it.
7" is definitely what I want in a tablet. I'm getting used to Android and really like certain things about it. Love Swype.

Best advice: If you can wait, wait. It's workable and not bad, but not great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and responsive..best bang for the buck., April 24, 2011
I love this tablet. First off, I am an older individual-leave it at that. So when i read/see anything about rooting and tinkering I go into panic mode. The Samsung Tablet is truly a piece of art and highly functional. Are the instructions the best-definitely not as you have to go online to get them then use a magnifying glass to figure out what they say. BUT...if you read them, then most of your frustration goes away.

The Syncing to computer and my smartphone was a little bit of a challenge. Sure..Sure if i had first read the instructions this just might not have been an issue but since I didn't I was able to work through it and get both paired and syncing. Took about 10 minutes to figure each out.

The CPU is truly fast. Pages load quickly and the pinch/zoom is fantastic. Setting up all your accounts takes minutes. I read in the forum the screen shuts off after a few seconds But-again...IF you first just go to settings and select your preferences then most of the problems go away because ..yes...wait for it.....because you control your taste and settings. Life is down right snappy.

The cameras are functional but you wouldn't want to take those Sunday best photos. QIK..which is a video chat icon is installed but as of yet there is no video chat icon. When you click on the icon it tells you the update will be coming soon to a theater...oops..lost myself , it will be coming soon. SAMSUNG-AMAZON...it better be because it's advertised as so.

Virtual keyboard is really impressive and responsive. The voice search works well and had few errors. I downloaded Amazonapp store and use the ANDROID Market icon to shop for apps. Huge selections on both and so many free I wanted to cry. I've read some say the apps are small on the screen. I've yet to download one that is smaller. All are clear, sharp and responsive to my touch. Much more enjoyable on this 7inch screen then my smartphone 4.3 inch.

Reading books from the kindle app after syncing all my books for free is a pleasure. You of course can choose whatever reader app you want. My personal choice is still to use my kindle as it still seems lighter but the point, yes there is one, is that you can read any book on this tablet as if you had your paperback with you, minus the destruction of zillions..and yes..zillions is a word-of trees.

I synced all my photos, music and videos from my computer onto the tablet via usb. The internal storage is 16gb...and i purchased a 16 gb card. Even after 400 songs, 5 videos and too many photos to count....the internal storage had 8gb left. I then went into settings, applications and moved the songs over to the sd card and still have about 20gbs left for internal and sd card. Mind you this too is after I download over 30 apps and switched what i could of these onto the sdcard.

So here is the windup....in a perfect world the Video Chat will be actually installed. The instructions would be clearer and the cameras updated. Using bluetooth would be easier if explained better.

Viewing utube, movies and clips online from any site is near-perfect. No sputters and stops. The screen is crystal clear and sharp. You have a great portable, lightweight computer, WIFI system,ebook reader, music and radio player, camera and recorder plus a long lasting battery. I used the navigation system but found my smartphone was a better choice for me. It works well and I refuse to pay $50 for a holder just to use it in the car.

The tablet is well made and solid. Buttons are places within easy reach. I bought a sdcard, fitting protection case, a device I can put the tablet on so I don't have to hold it and a good screen protector. End of my expenses. I hope this helps. I absolutely love this tablet and would recommend it to anyone. Great item! Great price!

1.0 out of 5 stars Samsung misleading you, May 4, 2011
You would think that the Galaxy Tab WiFi would be the same as the Galaxy Tab 3G except for the radio - it isn't. The main processor and graphics processor in the Wi-Fi version are inferior to the ones in the 3G version: 3G CPU is a Hummingbird vs older Cortex A8 in the Wi-Fi; 3G GPU is PowerVR SGX 540 vs older, less capable PowerVR SGX 530 in the Wi-Fi. Also while the 3G version has Bluetooth 3.0, the Wi-Fi version has the earlier 2.1 Bluetooth. Is Samsung upfront about this? NOT. Caveat Emptor especially is Samsung is involved.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a amazing device and this is my first TABLET, April 23, 2011
I have to say that I'm very impressed with the device, if you are a Windows OS user and you know how to navigate and "investigate" things...using this OS is no different, I fail to see where people are complain about it. Setting up getting my Hotmail was a breeze, and the connecting of the USE to PC to transfer files is smooth, at first I thought I had to use the Kiles app to transfer but with tinkering around the device there are multiple way to connect, the Kiles software was not working with installing on Windows 7 but when I saw you can select how to connect with USA and changed it to "Mas Storage" option it worked great, I like the fact there is more than one way to connect to PC to transfer data, very cool option.
Looking at videos is great and not pixelated or stuttering....included flash was a smart option, the camera is pretty good for what your getting and the option for VPN settings just really sealed the deal here so I can get my Exchange e-mails from work w/o issue and the wi-fi is very good. I have been decided between this and the Ipad, but this won me over for a few reasons: Camera, weight and size (definitely didn't want some big 10" tab to walk around with, might as well just use my laptop) android market, major difference, I'm just floored with the amount of content there is on there and a good amount is free! LinkedIn is awesome and this app called US Route 66 (I think that's the spelling) is amazing...there is no way you can browse all these apps...just mind blowing.
There is no reason to even say you can't find something you like. And the ability to add extra memory is great and when I read that you have to pay a fee to add more memory to the iPad, I thought that was nuts and if you do want the additional memory, I read that you have to buy an external adapter, so that right there was a no go.
Anyone on the fence of getting one...I say its very much worth it and for the price, you can't beat it.

2.0 out of 5 stars No Support from Samsung, September 19, 2011
I'll simply breakdown my review between Pro's and Con's

Pro's

- The screen. There is simply no screen in the 7" range of tablets that is better than the Samsung Galaxy Tab. The viewing angles are terrific and the reason I purchased it.

- The size. In my opinion, the 10.1" is simply too big and screams "look, I have a tablet!" The size is perfect for use as an e-book/reader, akin to a Kindle.

Con's

- The firmware is not upgradeable. This is what it says when you connect it to your computer and sync it using the Kies software. This means you're pretty much stuck with the old Froyo Android OS. This wouldn't be too big of an issue until I found out that...

- There is no support from XDA developers. Not only does this model not get support from Samsung but there is no support from the custom roms community as well. The only custom roms out there are for the P1000's models which are the ones being sold by the phone carriers.

- Wifi issue. This is a known issue with the wifi model. For some reason, these don't play well with N routers. I've had to set my router to send out only G and B signals. As I mentioned before, Samsung does not support this tablet and has no fix for this.

All in all it's a serviceable tablet. You can surf, check e-mail, play angry birds, watch youtube etc. but with the lack of support from Samsung, I cannot recommend this to anyone. This is only my second android tablet and it certainly will be my last. I was hoping these things would be a more affordable alternative to the iPad, but this was certainly a case of getting what you pay for.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Galaxy Tab is Great, sweet, okay, and bad *UPDATED*, May 15, 2011
KRW "Ken" (Zion National Park, UT) - See all my reviews
*UPDATE!
Amazon has the specs wrong for this WIFI version of the Galaxy Tab!!! The processor and the specs are *DOWNGRADED* for the WIFI version.

* The process is not the faster/better Hummingbird as advertised, it is an older/slower Cortex processor
* It is advertised as Bluetooth 3.0 - it is only BT 2.x
* The included Video Chat application Qik does not work at all!!

I spoke with a technical service rep two minutes ago, and he confirmed all of this. So, you are not getting the product that Amazon is advertising BEWARE! Please note: I am not faulting Amazon here. I believe the fault lies with Samsung for providing factually incorrect information to Amazon.

From the specs on Amazon's Galaxy Tab WIFI page:
*1 GHz Samsung Hummingbird processor speeds up everything
*1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for video chat
*Next-generation Bluetooth 3.0 connectivity provides faster throughput while minimizing on power requirements. It's compatible with new Bluetooth 3.0-enabled devices as well as backward compatible with older Bluetooth-enabled peripherals such as headsets and printers.

The WIFI Galaxy Tab fails all three "spec items" from the product page!

-----------------

First, I would give this 1.5 stars for non-technical oriented people. For "techies" it's a good-4 star product.

Great:
* Size. I wanted this size. Not many 7 inches to choose from. Unlike an iPhad or XOOM, this device you can comfortably hold in one hand. That is very nice.
* Screen. Extremely nice. Bright in daylight, crisp
* Power. I do long bike rides of 7+ hours. Using my sweet Verizon MiFi device, and this, it lasts all day long with the GPS and WIFI on. I occasionally turn on the device to use it when I hear the notification. I wouldn't take it with me, but on long rides, I do need to stay in touch with my clients. This thing excels, based upon my personal experience, at power management.
* Speakers. Wow! Much better than any Netbook or Notebook computer I have ever had.

Sweet:
* Flash. Sorry, iPhad users. Too many websites still rely on Flash for better or worse. I can browse the complete web with this thing (except Hulu because of their own crippling of their site on Android). Also, I get to watch Colbert Report and the Daily Show without a single glitch using my installed Opera Browser.
* Video. It does a decent job at making 720p videos. For the past 60 days, I was getting excited about buying the ASUS Transformer, but the video quality based upon Engadget review (and others), is AWFUL! So, since I need to use it to make videos occasionally, this disqualified the Transformer for me completely. The Galaxy Tab does a good competent job at videos and photo. It's not great, but good enough.
Weight. Since I have to take this thing with me when I go out for long bike rides, the weight is just at the top end for me, at one pound. The size and weight of an iPhad or a 10-inch Android device would be a bit too much for me (those are around one and a half pounds).

Okay:
* Speed. It ain't a desktop. Sometimes very sluggish

Bad:
* Android (2.2.x) - clunky to navigate
* The unit has "frozen" on me several times. I had to hold the power button down until it shuts off. Then do the same for it to come back on.

I have been holding out for a good MeeGo tablet. It looks like I still have a few quarters to wait. Also, I am a web developer, and I needed a device like this to validate our work.

Side comment... for years "Linux" has been bashed for being "too hard" to use. Let me tell you, Linux (Gnome or KDE) is super easy compared to Android OS. A) This thing is cumbersome; B) it is buggy; C) I get the feeling it is still an experimental thing, like a prototype.

Samsung Galaxy Tab (7-inch, 16GB, Wi-Fi)
Used & New from: $93.00