4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome
Where can I start? This is interesting phone. Literally a mini speedy tablet. This is my first android device so this came off a bit complex just trying to navigate. The exterior is totally plastic and unlike the black galaxy epic tough s2 this one does not have a textured back so that was a little disappointing. The performance is the fastest I have ever seen on a phone...
Published on January 25, 2012 by EpiphanyD

3.0 out of 5 stars Specs AWESOME! Reliability & Function, LACKING!!
I purchased this device on Amazon seven weeks ago. Switched carriers and sought a cutting edge device at a modest price. The Galaxy S III looked and performed magnificently but the price gave me pause. Based on previous reviews, the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch was a definite contender. It was $10. I was already aware WiMax was being abandoned by Sprint. Sprint's 3G...
Published 18 months ago by BJ

5.0 out of 5 stars the most amazing phone yet, May 20, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S II 4G Android Phone, White (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Right when I opened the box I loved the phone! The phone is really fast and the screen is amazing. Video calling is also great. The call quality is great and i haven't had a dropped call yet. The only thing that I don't like about the phone is the battery life but other than that this phone is awesome.I also recommend that you get a case and a screen proector for this phone! I hope this review helped you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Is this phone for you?, August 24, 2012
When it comes to phones, I've always been the type of person that just "wants it to work" with no fuss. I never really cared what kind of phone I have, as long as it met that expectation, therefore I've had my previous phone since 2007. Earlier this year I took the plunge and upgraded to an iPhone 4S smartphone which I am currently using. It is a great phone indeed and met/exceeded my expectations of a no fuss phone. What it also did was get me interested in smart phones as there are so many benefits that I've since realized with owning a smart phone (to the point where I don't even use my laptop anymore when I travel-savvy apps, access to my accounts, buying things, netflix for the kids, gps, music etc.).

My curiosity for smart phones grew and at a certain point, I felt I outgrew the iphone... although great turned out to be a bit limited for my interests. Being under contract, I couldn't upgrade my iphone yet, however my wife could upgrade her flip phone, iPhone was out of the question because she wanted a 4G phone so I got her the Samsung Galaxy s2 Epic, plus I was curious how the Android worked and with her not being tech savvy, I knew I'd get to play with it. What a spectacular phone, it can do everything the iphone does, some better and some not. I play with it a lot as there are many things to do within the Android interface; I'll admit the learning curve was quite a bit higher for me than it was the iphone but I no kidding actually enjoy figuring things out, researching and having a lot of autonomy to change things, which the Android allows-more so than my iphone, plus the android community is SUPER helpful - I google a question and answers abound.

I've had a blast with my wife's galaxy 2, the screen is super nice and big, it's fast(to me same speed as the iphone 4S), phone connections are clear on both ends, 4G/3G, WiFi operate excellent (at least where we live in VA) and elegant and an overall powerhouse of a smart phone. I'm not too crazy about some design aspects, like the speakers on the back, or the power button on the side instead of the top, every time I grab the phone I always accidentally press it with it being on the side, but that's just a preference thing. Also, this is the white version, not sure if the black is the same but it's got a "plasticky" feel to it and the battery cover is a thin plastic cover that I could see easily breaking if dropped - after market cases are certainly a must. Other than those, everything else is top-notch.

My wife does like this phone, however when I'm not around she struggles with the phone sometimes getting confused with simple setting changes. Even I got stuck trying to figure things out. For example, anytime the phone would get an email, it would talk and say you have an email, which is fine except at night when we're sleeping. I tried disabling sound notification and it didn't work, tried muting setting in email app menu and the Android settings (per online forums) and it didn't work, finally got it to work but I actually had to disable email notifications entirely (text notification and sound) in order to get the phone to stop talking. Point of the story is not everything is simple...although rewarding once I figured it out and thanks to multiple forums.

Also, as mentioned in other reviews, the battery life is horrible, we ended up getting juice defender app which helped, but we still need to charge the phone at least once or twice a day. I imagine we can do more things to get better battery life, but I haven't figured it all out yet. In this regard my iphone does last longer and my wife and I are pretty much running the same apps, although the bigger screen and 4G may have something to do with faster power drain. Speaking of size, this phone is borderline big...any bigger and my wife wouldn't have gone for this phone, which is why we didn't get the new Galaxy S3 instead - it's slightly bigger, but enough so that my wife didn't want that model.

Overall, my wife would rather have the iPhone instead of the Galaxy S2, but is for the most part happy with the S2 and does not want to give up the 4G (she's a FB/youtube fiend), I on the other hand although satisfied with the iPhone, would rather have the Galaxy S2 over my iPhone but I'm locked into a contract. As you can see, the Galaxy S2 is great for some and not so much for others depending on what you want in a phone. If you want simplicity and ease of use, the iPhone is very straight-forward, no fuss and just works great out of the box, in that regard, cannot be rivaled, which is why my wife likes it better than the Galaxy S2, but if you want flexibility and ultimate user control (freedom), you will not be disappointed with the Android based Galaxy S2 which is why I prefer that phone, plus with some tweaking, you can get it to run as efficient as an iPhone (and after playing with the Galaxy and going back to my iPhone, the screen is completely dwarfed in comparison). Hopefully by reading my review, you can figure out which category you fall under and purchase this phone accordingly - it is all about expectation management when choosing a phone - know what you're getting and you'll avoid dissapointment (defective electronics not withstanding), and that is why I sense some of the reviews may have been negative because from what I've experienced this is a great phone.

On a side note, sprint is good about pushing updates, once we got this phone connected, it updated itself from Gingerbread to the latest version of Ice Cream Sandwich on its own. Seems to be running fine as I have nothing to compare to, no crashes or anything like what others have reported. Sprint is however bad about bloatware...the sprint apps and media hub cannot be uninstalled by simple methods like other apps, also I don't want to try anything too drastic and void the warranty so I just left them on there never to be used.

2.0 out of 5 stars Liked a lot but it is not great, January 1, 2014
This phone was really good and it lasted me for about 20 months (03/12 to 11/13). I like the large display and the functions. However, last November it was on, but kind of "frozen." I attempted to turn it off, but it wouldn't. I removed the battery to reboot it, but it wouldn't go past the Samsung Galaxy S II display. The phone was never on water, and I used a protective case in case I dropped it (dropped maybe twice or three times from the arm of the sofa or my table).The battery was good (I had two).

I took it to Spring and the technician just said that the board just gave up. I was disappointed although they replaced it another one that I will keep until my plan is over.
This makes me wonder if I should just have two different phones in case my main one gives up like that.

1.0 out of 5 stars I need a new phone, grrrrr., June 17, 2013
I got this cellphone thinking that I will have an awesome one. Not even six months old, i am already having a problem with it. One day when I disconnected my phone with the charger, a message appears; "charging paused, high voltage". Every two minutes. I called sprint, my carrier, and informed them about my problem, insisted that I change my battery of which I did, still the message is coming out and draining my battery life fast. Can hardly use the phone because it runs out of battery so quick. Haaaist, what a waste. I have a contract for two years, paying my bill with a useless phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS PHONE!!!!!, April 17, 2012
I have had this phone for about 1 month. The battery life is EXCELLENT! i have friends with the EVO (which was my second choice) and they literally carry around a phone charger. I get so many compliments on this phone and also the screen and how BIG and clear the image is! by far the best phone out there right now! Highly impressed and satisfied!

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a good, powerful phone overall and comparable to Samsung Galaxy S3, March 3, 2013
This review is a little late considering that this phone has been out for quite some time now, but I thought I just mention my thoughts since I just got this phone after switching from the Sprint Samsugn Galaxy S3. After a few months of the Samsung Galaxy S3, all the nice features, such as a bigger screen, better processor, bigger processor, and other software features such as S Voice etc; the poor speeds of the Sprint 3G network is what prompted me to change devices.

4G LTE is not in my area yet and Sprint can't give a definite answer of when it might be available. Also the Samsung Galaxy II Touch 4G hardware wise is no slouch either. Since it's an older model, you could probably get this phone with no contract for a much much cheaper price than the Galaxy S3.

I understand the 4G LTE is a big thing, but if you're in an area that doesn't yet have 4G LTE and unsure when it will roll out to your city ... 4G WiMax is still available. Hopefully you have 4G WiMax in your area because the Sprint 3G speeds are horrible. (For me anyway)

I decided that the Galaxy S2 4G Touch would be perfect to hold me through to my next upgrade because of the hardware specs and with the rate Sprint is implementing 4G LTE, WiMax will still be available for some time.

Let's compare the specs of the 2 devices.

Operating System
Galaxy S2: Android 4.0
Galaxy S3: Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)

Battery:
Galaxy S2: 1800 mAh
Galaxy S3: 2100 mAh Lithium Ion Battery

Talk Time:
Galaxy S2: 8.7 Hours
Galaxy S3: Up to 9 Hours

Dimensions
Galaxy S2: 5.1" x 2.7" x 0.38"
Galaxy S3: 5.4" x 2.8" x 0.3"

Display:

Galaxy S3: 4.7 oz

Processor:
Galaxy S2: 1.2 GHz Dual Core, Exynos, 1200 MHz processor
Galaxy S3: 1.5 GHz Dual Core

As you can see, the specs for the Galaxy S2 are similar to the S3. I tend to think of the Galaxy S3 as an upgraded computer system with a little bigger processor and a bigger monitor.

I would've stuck with my Galaxy S3 if it wasn't for the terrible 3G speeds in my area and the lack of information of when 4G LTE will be rolled out. WiMax is available in my area and the speed is 10 times better than 3G.

Usually I need the latest and greatest, but I'm happy with switching back to the Samsung Galaxy S2. It's still comparable to the Galaxy S3 hardware wise and you could always root your phone to Jelly Bean OS if you wanted to. The Galaxy S2 is still a powerful phone that should last a few more years before being dated. Hopefully this review is helpful for the people still thinking about purchasing this phone on the Sprint Network.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta love it., January 9, 2014
What can I possibly say that you don't already know... its a great phone.. My wife loves the darn thing, it is her first droid.

5.0 out of 5 stars love the larger screen....I can read it!, May 26, 2013
I just love this phone. It is pretty easy to navigate and love the way I can always see the screen info. Also, camera awesome, crips pics!

4.0 out of 5 stars Value, May 4, 2013
RG (MARYLAND, US) - See all my reviews
This phone is nice. I think the battery that I got in mine is weak. Will probably have to buy another battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars I RATE THIS PHONE 5 STARS!!!!!, April 20, 2012
I received my new phone yesterday....I simply love everything about it. It's lightweight I love the style and the many apps you can add. I'm in love with this phone. I think I made a great decision on choosing this phone. Im extremely satisfied.

ARRAY(0xd9269efc)