4.0 out of 5 stars Good phone, beware battery issues
Published on October 16, 2012 by P.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm on my third one - Buyer Beware.
First I bought mine thru AT&T because I was forced by AT&T to replace my G2 Phone or I'd loose $220.00 of collected credits. They did give $20 off to anyone who was already an AT&T Go Phone subscriber bringing the total cost to $129.99 + tax

Published on October 16, 2012 by D. Davis

4.0 out of 5 stars Good phone, beware battery issues, October 16, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Appeal Android Prepaid GoPhone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Purchased this phone recently so this review is more about first impressions until there is a track record, but it's a decent, entry-level phone and the best of the bunch among AT+T's GoPhone line for ease of use with a slide-out keyboard (among other features). It's not an iPhone, of course, so don't expect too much, but as a basic text-and-talk smartphone (which I have not used for data yet), it's worth the $25-a-month plan.

Be forewarned though: After the first phone arrived, I got it up and running with a phone call to AT+T (the SIM card is included in the purchase), but the battery discharged in less than 24 hours. Recharge, discharge, recharge, discharge ... it happened three more times in rapid succession and I realized the phone and/or battery were defective. Saw a review on another online retailer's site that indicated the identical problem with this model, so that confirmed it for me.

Enter Amazon's customer service people, who are second to none and quickly resolved the issue by issuing a replacement/return. The replacement seems to work fine (so far). If you're looking to keep costs down with a pay-as-you-go cell that's used significantly more for texting than talking (the voice quality is just OK, not horrible, not great), consider this model.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for the price!, March 29, 2013
I read so many reviews about this phone that reflect buyers who are probably never satisfied when they have to spend more than 1 cent. For the money (I only had to pay $100), this phone delivers. It's not flawless, and I agree with those who say the battery is not the greatest. But unless you have to talk 24 hours a day, plug it in overnight and ignore those who are never satisfied with any purchase they make. The i827 has many useful features very comparable (and often better) to more expensive phones. However, don't buy a phone for $150, and then expect a 5 megapixel camera with flash, the latest version of android, and the highest resolution screen on the market--that's what the unsatisfied "complainers" always do. If you want the best phone available, suck it up, and be ready to spend at least $500 dollars minimum. But if you want a phone that's nice for the price, and exceeds all REASONABLE expectations, the i827 is a great choice.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm on my third one - Buyer Beware., October 16, 2012

But, here's the big BUT -- Don't buy your phone thru AT&T because they have a $35.00 restocking charge irregardless of reason, even if you receive a defective phone. Buy thru Amazon, Costco, or anyone who has a fair replacement policy.

Secondly: This phone has a design flaw. Samsung technical admits it is very possible a batch could have problems. The problem with this Samsung Apppeal is the phone doesn't shut down even though it says "Shutting Down", so therefore the battery is being used while you sleep. You can have your battery charged to 100% at 9:00 P.M. at night and by 9:00 A.M. in the morning the battery is almost dead with a 3% charge left on the phone.
In the morning when you boot up the phone it gives a Warning Sign that the battery is critically exhausted.

Other cons I found: Finding a Flip Top case for this phone is next to impossible, and about 2 choices for a Pouch type. After a week of searching by size, we finally found one but had to stretch it to the hilt to make the phone fit. Placing the case in the sun for a few hours helps in this process. Or if you have an old iRiver mp3 player it will stretch the case or pouch nicely to make the phone fit.

The other aggravating thing are the lower buttons, (Home, Search, Return, etc) are not responsive to the 1st
touch. The same complaint I found on many sites which review phones.
The phone is smaller (but fatter) than most so you will have smaller icons and print, but in all I don't use my phone for purposes other than making a phone call, so all the possibilities what this phone can do is a nice feature. Well, I'm on my third phone because the battery situation is nuts. You'll have your phone longer on the charger than possible talk time which may be good to save on those minute usage charges.

If I could do it over, I'd pick any of the other Go-Phones, I'd definitely stay away from this one, it's not worth the aggravation. This phone has only been out since July 15, 2012 while the other Go-Phones have been on the market for over a year with better reviews. What racket this phone could be, sell this phone and 3 returns at 35 bucks makes more money than selling just 1 Appeal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Daughters First Phone, December 28, 2012
I have decided to let my 15 year old have a cell phone & this is the one she wanted. It is ok for a first time user,not too complicated & she loves the slide feature. So far we have not had the issue with the battery that I see others have had but she is a teenager who is always on it so it is a bit difficult to know for sure. *UPDATE* Here it is 6 months later & my daughter loves this phone! We have no battery issues,its simple to use and I am very happy we got this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead in the water 2nd phone purchased waste of money, January 27, 2013
I bought 2 of these Samsung Galaxy Appeals & they both do the same thing; so it is more than a problem with just a "batch." Gotta be a design flaw. When you power it "off" at night, first thing in the AM the phone is dead. It apparently doesn't turn "off," but instead depletes the battery. You can't turn it on before charging the battery at least 50%. Who has time for that?

As described in the previous review: "The problem with this Samsung Apppeal is the phone doesn't shut down even though it says "Shutting Down", so therefore the battery is being used while you sleep. You can have your battery charged to 100% at 9:00 P.M. at night and by 9:00 A.M. in the morning the battery is almost dead with a 3% charge left on the phone.
So this phone depletes the battery even while it is OFF and you are Asleep. Testing it further during day use, the battery also depletes faster than any other phone I ever owned."

Totally agree. I'm out about about $300 bucks now (I bought the 2nd for one of my kids) and put the SIMs back in old cheapo phones that actually work. I really like Samsung (own their Galaxy 2 tablet awesome product) but this phone is a lemon. Works great when the phone is on, but can't afford to get stuck in another power outage with a phone that can't hold its charge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Phone Ever!!!, August 16, 2013
This is the best phone ever, texting just got easier, faster and if you get ringtone apps you customize it just how you want it. I wanted the sliding keyboard because I find it harder and much slower to text with phones that dont have the sliding keyboard makes writing journals or whatever much much easier faster when you cant fit a giant notebook in your pocket.

Battery life is great reguardless of what others have been claiming. I've been using it ALOT and it still hasn't died, at this rate I have no doubt the ones who claim battery sucks they obviously play games, call people every 5 seconds, text non stop no 10 second breaks. So yes doing all that WILL KILL your phone in a heart beat. This thing will last you whole car trip and it will be fine. If you call alot or play games every second in your life then yeah it might die sooner but over all just buy a charger for the car and your good. It's cheaper than idiot priced phones that do about the same thing this works and its worth every penny.
I love it ! I'm very happy with it. Thank you sooo much!

1.0 out of 5 stars No Battery No phone, March 8, 2013
If a phone won't hold a charge it doesn't matter how many great features it has, it won't work! Being tethered to a charging cord is not acceptable. At first it would hold a charge for 4 hrs of standby time before it started shutting down to conserve battery. On the most battery conserving settings and after doing 4 deep cycles of the battery, it will now hold a charge for 11 hrs before being below 20% battery.

I contacted Samsung where I was told I had a defective battery and to contact the place of purchase. Samsung didn't have any replacement batteries for me to purchase, nor did they even offer to replace it had they had one. Amazon's customer service was GREAT! Although they didn't have any replacement batteries they found one for me at another online store and refunded me the cost of the replacement battery. It hasn't arrived so I can't comment on the new battery.

So, in summary, I have a phone that won't hold a charge, where the manufacturer doesn't have replacement batteries in stock and I am tethered to a charger.

3.0 out of 5 stars phone update again, May 24, 2013
SL (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
Update again: I still like my appeal but I am carrying a second battery around with me, not good. The appeal spawns processes
like rabbits and I have to shut them down in setup every time I turn the phone on to save my battery. I think there is definitely a flaw in the OS or in the phone. Not sure which, but I am tired of the extra battery.....just to be sure I have a charged cell phone.
May have to go to another phone. I do like what it has to offer...but not the battery issue.

UPdate: I bought a new battery for the Appeal. It was not cheap around $20. But it seems to have resolved all the problems with not charging etc. You have to be careful if you buy a replacement battery. They all say for the Appeal, but some of the samsung batteries are a little too large and do not fit in the case. Especially the really cheap ones. Anyway, I am back to loving my phone. I also figured out how to save ringtones to the SD card using KIES the software on the Samsung phone. If you create a ringtone folder on your sd card and then use KIES to put the files there, the phone will find them and you have the new tones. Anyway, I am back to happy with my Appeal.

I really like the features of this phone, but like some of the other reviewers, the battery didn't last. Here I am a month and 1/2 since I purchased it and the battery will not hold a charge. Even when I charge it right before bed, when I wake up, it beeps that the battery
is dead..so I have to plug it in again. I have ordered a new battery and we will see. The screen is clear and sharp, the functions are really nice. I just hope the new battery fixes the problem.

One other thing. Adding your own ringtones seems to be a problem. I added them several times, and they stay until you shut your phone down and then they are gone. There are plenty of ring tones that come with the phone. But not how to keep the new tones. I put it on the sd card. I sent it via email I even used KIal, but no luck. It works until you turn the phone off and then it is gone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great P, February 15, 2013
Ordered this for my son, he loves it. The sliding qwerty keyboard was the main selling point and is very useful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs. ETA: With update., June 25, 2013
First, I'm not sure why people are complaining about battery life in reviews - if you treat the battery right with a 4-5 hour initial charge, at least in my experience so far, it has been great. I've been going 2 days between charges with moderate use (several phone calls, some texts, facebook, e-mail, minor web browsing.) All of my iphone friends need to charge every night. That's just standard for a smartphone.

This phone fits my needs perfectly. The keys are small, but I'm an adult woman with average sized hands and I have no trouble with them. The phone itself is small, which is a desirable feature in my book. I also love that it had a VERY low SAR rating when compared to the iphone.

The phone plan is unbeatable. $50 for unlimited talk and text, and another $5 a month for 200MB data. MUCH better than the $90 a month you'd pay for just 450 minutes a month on a standard smartphone data/text plan. I'll never go over that, given there is wifi at work and home (and many other places, honestly.) I'm not streaming movies on my phone, just using it for basic everyday needs/convenience. I wish I had gone the smartphone route sooner now that I see how inexpensive and useful it really can be.

There are only two things I'd tweak to make this phone perfect. I'd give it a forward facing camera (for skype) and a slightly better camera for taking pictures. But I love that it takes a microSD card, another huge plus over the iphone.

I'll continue to update this review as time goes on, but so far, I have been extremely satisfied with this purchase and wish I had gotten a smartphone - specifically, on a GoPhone like this to get the great deal re: unlimited talk/text - a lot sooner.

UPDATE: After using the phone for about half a year, the OS slowed down considerably. I took very very good care of the battery, and it still is working pretty well.... but the OS is so slow that even making a phone call is hard to do now. Luckily a family member ended up with an iphone to pass down the line (and even luckier - I can keep the iphone on the go-phone plan, so it is cheap!) - so I'm giving this phone to someone else (after re-initializing) to try to speed the OS up again. Apparently this type of behavior is common with older Android OS's. I think this is a good "intro to smartphones" phone but it doesn't have the longevity to keep it great.