on October 16, 2012
Purchased this phone recently so this review is more about first impressions until there is a track record, but it's a decent, entry-level phone and the best of the bunch among AT+T's GoPhone line for ease of use with a slide-out keyboard (among other features). It's not an iPhone, of course, so don't expect too much, but as a basic text-and-talk smartphone (which I have not used for data yet), it's worth the $25-a-month plan.

Be forewarned though: After the first phone arrived, I got it up and running with a phone call to AT+T (the SIM card is included in the purchase), but the battery discharged in less than 24 hours. Recharge, discharge, recharge, discharge ... it happened three more times in rapid succession and I realized the phone and/or battery were defective. Saw a review on another online retailer's site that indicated the identical problem with this model, so that confirmed it for me.

Enter Amazon's customer service people, who are second to none and quickly resolved the issue by issuing a replacement/return. The replacement seems to work fine (so far). If you're looking to keep costs down with a pay-as-you-go cell that's used significantly more for texting than talking (the voice quality is just OK, not horrible, not great), consider this model.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 30, 2013
I read so many reviews about this phone that reflect buyers who are probably never satisfied when they have to spend more than 1 cent. For the money (I only had to pay $100), this phone delivers. It's not flawless, and I agree with those who say the battery is not the greatest. But unless you have to talk 24 hours a day, plug it in overnight and ignore those who are never satisfied with any purchase they make. The i827 has many useful features very comparable (and often better) to more expensive phones. However, don't buy a phone for $150, and then expect a 5 megapixel camera with flash, the latest version of android, and the highest resolution screen on the market--that's what the unsatisfied "complainers" always do. If you want the best phone available, suck it up, and be ready to spend at least $500 dollars minimum. But if you want a phone that's nice for the price, and exceeds all REASONABLE expectations, the i827 is a great choice.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 17, 2012
First I bought mine thru AT&T because I was forced by AT&T to replace my G2 Phone or I'd loose $220.00 of collected credits. They did give $20 off to anyone who was already an AT&T Go Phone subscriber bringing the total cost to $129.99 + tax

But, here's the big BUT -- Don't buy your phone thru AT&T because they have a $35.00 restocking charge irregardless of reason, even if you receive a defective phone. Buy thru Amazon, Costco, or anyone who has a fair replacement policy.

Secondly: This phone has a design flaw. Samsung technical admits it is very possible a batch could have problems. The problem with this Samsung Apppeal is the phone doesn't shut down even though it says "Shutting Down", so therefore the battery is being used while you sleep. You can have your battery charged to 100% at 9:00 P.M. at night and by 9:00 A.M. in the morning the battery is almost dead with a 3% charge left on the phone.
In the morning when you boot up the phone it gives a Warning Sign that the battery is critically exhausted.

Other cons I found: Finding a Flip Top case for this phone is next to impossible, and about 2 choices for a Pouch type. After a week of searching by size, we finally found one but had to stretch it to the hilt to make the phone fit. Placing the case in the sun for a few hours helps in this process. Or if you have an old iRiver mp3 player it will stretch the case or pouch nicely to make the phone fit.

The other aggravating thing are the lower buttons, (Home, Search, Return, etc) are not responsive to the 1st
touch. The same complaint I found on many sites which review phones.
The phone is smaller (but fatter) than most so you will have smaller icons and print, but in all I don't use my phone for purposes other than making a phone call, so all the possibilities what this phone can do is a nice feature. Well, I'm on my third phone because the battery situation is nuts. You'll have your phone longer on the charger than possible talk time which may be good to save on those minute usage charges.

If I could do it over, I'd pick any of the other Go-Phones, I'd definitely stay away from this one, it's not worth the aggravation. This phone has only been out since July 15, 2012 while the other Go-Phones have been on the market for over a year with better reviews. What racket this phone could be, sell this phone and 3 returns at 35 bucks makes more money than selling just 1 Appeal.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 28, 2012
I have decided to let my 15 year old have a cell phone & this is the one she wanted. It is ok for a first time user,not too complicated & she loves the slide feature. So far we have not had the issue with the battery that I see others have had but she is a teenager who is always on it so it is a bit difficult to know for sure. *UPDATE* Here it is 6 months later & my daughter loves this phone! We have no battery issues,its simple to use and I am very happy we got this one.
on January 27, 2013
I bought 2 of these Samsung Galaxy Appeals & they both do the same thing; so it is more than a problem with just a "batch." Gotta be a design flaw. When you power it "off" at night, first thing in the AM the phone is dead. It apparently doesn't turn "off," but instead depletes the battery. You can't turn it on before charging the battery at least 50%. Who has time for that?

As described in the previous review: "The problem with this Samsung Apppeal is the phone doesn't shut down even though it says "Shutting Down", so therefore the battery is being used while you sleep. You can have your battery charged to 100% at 9:00 P.M. at night and by 9:00 A.M. in the morning the battery is almost dead with a 3% charge left on the phone.
So this phone depletes the battery even while it is OFF and you are Asleep. Testing it further during day use, the battery also depletes faster than any other phone I ever owned."

Totally agree. I'm out about about $300 bucks now (I bought the 2nd for one of my kids) and put the SIMs back in old cheapo phones that actually work. I really like Samsung (own their Galaxy 2 tablet awesome product) but this phone is a lemon. Works great when the phone is on, but can't afford to get stuck in another power outage with a phone that can't hold its charge.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 8, 2013
If a phone won't hold a charge it doesn't matter how many great features it has, it won't work! Being tethered to a charging cord is not acceptable. At first it would hold a charge for 4 hrs of standby time before it started shutting down to conserve battery. On the most battery conserving settings and after doing 4 deep cycles of the battery, it will now hold a charge for 11 hrs before being below 20% battery.

I contacted Samsung where I was told I had a defective battery and to contact the place of purchase. Samsung didn't have any replacement batteries for me to purchase, nor did they even offer to replace it had they had one. Amazon's customer service was GREAT! Although they didn't have any replacement batteries they found one for me at another online store and refunded me the cost of the replacement battery. It hasn't arrived so I can't comment on the new battery.

So, in summary, I have a phone that won't hold a charge, where the manufacturer doesn't have replacement batteries in stock and I am tethered to a charger.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is the best phone ever, texting just got easier, faster and if you get ringtone apps you customize it just how you want it. I wanted the sliding keyboard because I find it harder and much slower to text with phones that dont have the sliding keyboard makes writing journals or whatever much much easier faster when you cant fit a giant notebook in your pocket.

Battery life is great reguardless of what others have been claiming. I've been using it ALOT and it still hasn't died, at this rate I have no doubt the ones who claim battery sucks they obviously play games, call people every 5 seconds, text non stop no 10 second breaks. So yes doing all that WILL KILL your phone in a heart beat. This thing will last you whole car trip and it will be fine. If you call alot or play games every second in your life then yeah it might die sooner but over all just buy a charger for the car and your good. It's cheaper than idiot priced phones that do about the same thing this works and its worth every penny.
I love it ! I'm very happy with it. Thank you sooo much!
on May 24, 2013
Update again: I still like my appeal but I am carrying a second battery around with me, not good. The appeal spawns processes
like rabbits and I have to shut them down in setup every time I turn the phone on to save my battery. I think there is definitely a flaw in the OS or in the phone. Not sure which, but I am tired of the extra battery.....just to be sure I have a charged cell phone.
May have to go to another phone. I do like what it has to offer...but not the battery issue.

UPdate: I bought a new battery for the Appeal. It was not cheap around $20. But it seems to have resolved all the problems with not charging etc. You have to be careful if you buy a replacement battery. They all say for the Appeal, but some of the samsung batteries are a little too large and do not fit in the case. Especially the really cheap ones. Anyway, I am back to loving my phone. I also figured out how to save ringtones to the SD card using KIES the software on the Samsung phone. If you create a ringtone folder on your sd card and then use KIES to put the files there, the phone will find them and you have the new tones. Anyway, I am back to happy with my Appeal.

I really like the features of this phone, but like some of the other reviewers, the battery didn't last. Here I am a month and 1/2 since I purchased it and the battery will not hold a charge. Even when I charge it right before bed, when I wake up, it beeps that the battery
is dead..so I have to plug it in again. I have ordered a new battery and we will see. The screen is clear and sharp, the functions are really nice. I just hope the new battery fixes the problem.

One other thing. Adding your own ringtones seems to be a problem. I added them several times, and they stay until you shut your phone down and then they are gone. There are plenty of ring tones that come with the phone. But not how to keep the new tones. I put it on the sd card. I sent it via email I even used KIal, but no luck. It works until you turn the phone off and then it is gone.
on February 15, 2013
Ordered this for my son, he loves it. The sliding qwerty keyboard was the main selling point and is very useful.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 27, 2013
I bought my first Samsung Galaxy Appeal in mid November 2012, and had to return it within a few days. The screen kept freezing up, and when I touched the screen to open an app, a completely different app would open, so the first one went back. Received the 2nd Appeal in Early December, it worked good up until early June. Then call quality started to deteriorate. As time progressed into July, to a couple of days ago, there was more static, and calls would break up more regularly.

Just out of curiosity, I put the AT&T prepaid Sim card from my Galaxy Appeal into a T Mobile phone that I had, and the T Mobile phone was unlocked at the time I did this, and the call quality was fine, no issues, so the service from AT&T was not the problem. I reset my Galaxy Appeal to see if that would help, that didn't improve the situation at all. I was up to date on software updates on the Appeal as well. As time progressed the call quality became so bad that I could no longer use this phone. Calls had constant hissing and were breaking up every few seconds. I couldn't deal with this phone anymore.

Going back to earlier this year, before I started to have call quality issues with the phone before June of this year - the phone was good, and I would have given this phone a 3-3.5 star rating. I used the Appeal with a Plantronics Voyager Legend headset, and it connected easily to the headset, and was overall reliable with the Plantronics device. Sometimes the Appeal would disconnect randomly from the headset, but I was able to pair it again easily, so it was a slightly annoying at times.

My cell phone usage is mostly talk - I easily go through 1500 minutes a month, a few text messages, and very little data usage, but I wanted to have at least some data to use such functions as the basic navigation and look up info a few times a month. As far as Battery Life, I agree with what people are saying here, it's one of the weakest points of this phone, I had to charge this phone daily.

Now, talking about what the current and present situation is with this Galaxy Appeal, over the last few days, it has become impossible to use this phone anymore. 2 days ago I dropped At&T prepaid GoPhone service, and went to AIO wireless (which runs on AT&T's network)and I bought a new phone through AIO at a great price, and call quality on this new AIO phone is like night and day - it's back to being clear and reliable. I know this review is supposed to focus on the Appeal, but I also wanted to include this latest information to show how I resolved the issue, and that the problem is not with AT&T, or their network, customer service with AT&T is really rock solid, they tried to help and I didn't want to leave them.

My Appeal flaked out in less than a year, and I just didn't want to deal with it anymore. I could try to have it fixed, but it's over 6 months old now, so not sure how much Samsung would have stepped up to help me out. The big gripe I do have with AT&T is their selection of prepaid phones is so limited, so buying a replacement phone with AT&T was just something I didn't want to pursue.

This phone is anything but appealing to me. For Samsung to name this phone a Galaxy is a joke (I could think of many other names I want to call this phone, Black Hole, Abyss, Meteor is a good name, because just like a meteor crashes into a surface, I bet others out there have wanted to throw this phone against a wall, or a hard cement floor). Also, at the time I bought this phone late in 2012, to pay anything over $100 for this phone is too much money, especially since this phone is Gingerbread OS.

And just to make sure I cover all bases in this review - so the readers of this review don't think I might have had something to do with neglecting this Appeal, and maybe that's why it stopped working - I never dropped this phone, it never fell off my desk or off a table, I never spilled anything on it, I never left the phone in the car to bake in the sun, I didn't leave it outside in extreme hot or cold weather, I didn't throw it against a wall (although the thought crossed my mind a few times), or drop it in the toilet, although this phone belongs there, because it's a complete POS. I put a screen protector on it, I bought a case for it, I did everything on my end to assure long term usage of this phone.

If I didn't have a sense of ethics I'd try to sell this phone and at least get a few bucks back on it, but I don't want anyone else to go through the frustration I dealt with. It's really sad, buying a phone, that doesn't even last a year. The star rating shows 1 star, but if I could, I'd give this POS phone zero stars. Don't buy it, don't waste your time. I guess the phone will make a good looking paperweight now, being that the blue case I bought for it is the only appealing thing that I can say about the phone.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations