4.0 out of 5 stars More Ice cream Sandwich Please
Published 20 months ago by Regan222

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been a contender
Published 18 months ago by Bob S

4.0 out of 5 stars More Ice cream Sandwich Please, November 6, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S3, Black 16GB (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I have owned this phone for 6 months. It is far and away the best smart phone I have used. I traded up from a Samsung Rogue but have used several different smart phones including the iPhone. The first and best feature is the screen. It is huge and the image is beyond clear. As I grow older I find being able to see and read the screen becomes more important to me.

As a phone, it does everything I need. I would prefer a slide-out keyboard but I am adapting to the on-screen typing. I am also finding that I LOVE the speech to text feature. I use it constantly for everything from filling out forms in the internet to entering address into the navigator. The 4-G connection is very fast, even in the rural area where I live and work. I had read reviews complaining about the battery life when using the smart phone features but I am having no trouble using the phone all day without recharging and I USE all features of the phone.

On the negative side, the phone as shown a tendency to lock up with certain apps, mostly from Google. Since it is easy to reboot or remove the battery I don't view this as a deal breaker but it could become annoying. Fortunately it does not do so very often. That is the only gripe I have with it.

I would highly recommend this phone to anyone, even an iPhone junkie like my wife.

Update: 6/25/2013: I have owned this phone for one year now and it just keeps getting better. I have taken it on numerous trips to cities I have never visited before and the navigation and search features function flawlessly. It knows where restaurants, entertainment venues, gas stations, and any other service are located. In other words, "the phone is wise". The battery still lasts a full day even under what I would call heavy use. It works as a geo-cache tracker, GPS unit, and tracks my bike rides and jogging progress flawlessly. I have yet to find anything that this phone won't due.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just got it!, November 25, 2012
This phone blows everything else I've used out of the water. Smooth, superb design. I'd be happier if it came with the battery of the RAZR Maxx but hey, then it'd be too good to be true, right? I'm more than satisfied, I'm ecstatic to have it! Haven't finished playing with it yet but I came from an S2 and prior to that, an iPhone 4. Nothing really seems to choke this phone yet, even playing GTA3. Everything flies fluidly and without hiccup. Love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone- DO NOT BUY FROM AMAZON WIRELESS!, January 21, 2013
James (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
*Beware that Amazon Wireless is separate division and they do not operate under the same guidelines as Amazon*

I've owned this phone for 9 days and used it extensively. Huge upgrade from my Google G2. New Google software seems very fast and smooth. Great camera and the AMOLED display is the best I've seen.

4G LTE is very fast, WHEN I'm connected to it. I find this phone to be on 3G most of the day. My location? Miami, FL which brings me to this complaint I filed with Verizon and Amazon Wireless:

On January 11th 2013 I switched to Verizon Wireless after spending the previous 7 years with their direct competitor. The main reason for my switch was Verizon's marketing and promise of a more reliable & stronger network. I purchased the a Samsung Galaxy S III and as a loyal Amazon Prime member, I did so with confidence and was excited that I had saved $50 off the current Verizon Wireless promotional price.

After using the phone for several days I noticed some technical issues with the device. After spending several hours of my time with the Verizon Wireless technical department, it was determined that this phone was defective (not connecting to the network properly). I was assured by the Verizon Wireless technical specialist that under Verizon's worry-free guarantee, a new phone would be sent free of charge but that I had to contact Amazon Wireless directly in order to process the guarantee.

When I contacted Amazon Wireless I was informed that there was only 2 options for replacing this phone. Amazon Wireless does not honor any Verizon guarantees and they have their own policy's. The first option was to ship this defective device back, thus SURRENDERING MY SERVICE and going without a phone for 5-6 days while they "process" the return. The second option is to pay the FULL RETAIL PRICE of $699, wait 3-4 days for the replacement, and then get a refund 7-10 days after Amazon Wireless received the defective device back.

Let's recap:
Option 1 = No phone for 5-6 days while you ship yours back and then wait for a replacement
Option 2 = Pay $699 + shipping to get a replacement, refund in 7-10 days after they receive defective

When I brought up the fact that the Verizon tech department had informed me otherwise, I was told by the Amazon Wireless representative that "They'll say anything to get you off the phone". I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told nothing else could be done. Both replacement options are clearly unrealistic and unacceptable. Amazon Wireless refused to replace the defective equipment that they sent me.

Beware that Amazon wireless is separate division and they do not operate under the same guidelines as Amazon. Customer service is marginal at best and they will not budge on this policy. Both replacement options that Amazon Wireless presented to me reflect poorly on the Amazon brand. I would strongly suggest buying this phone at a Verizon Wireless corporate retail store.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Smartphone, November 18, 2012
I recently purchased three of these phones to outfit the family. In a word, they are terrific. The phones operate flawlessly, and have a host of features, "apps," and "widgets" that are not only cool, but make organizing and accomplishing necessary daily tasks and routines much easier. The phone is very elegant and stylish, but we have all three cocooned inside Otterbox cases that we purchased from Amazon. I thought this was a much less expensive alternative than the $11 per month PER PHONE that Verizon wanted to charge for insurance. Only time will tell if this was a good decision, but as of now we are very satisified with the phones and its accessories (all of which we purchased from Amazon). All in all, the Samsung Galaxy SIII is an impressive package. Even my son - previously a die-hard Apple iPhone proponent - has switched to Samsung. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Attractive Looking in Black, Awesome Phone!, November 7, 2012
I switched from the 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy Nexus to the 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy S3. I'm glad I waited until the black color was released. The phone is beautiful in the black finish. Overall compared to the Galaxy Nexus the S3 has a better display, faster speed and a bunch of cool features in the touch wiz that the Galaxy Nexus does not have. I can't wait for the Jelly Bean update for the S3. If you're considering an Android on the Verizon network, I highly recommend the Galaxy S3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, January 6, 2013
I've had the Verizon flavor of this phone for about 2 months now. The phone is great. It was a major upgrade over my last phone the T-Mobile G2x (LG) and my work phone the Droid X2. I'd say my favorite feature improvement is the ability to add emergency numbers that the phone can call when it is locked. I like the idea of a paramedic knowing who to call if I were ever in a car accident. The phone is thin enough that putting the right case on it is no big deal, the phone will still fit easily in my pocket.

The Verizon security app bogged the phone down and didn't work well. I added McAffee WaveSecure and it seems to do a great job.

My only gripes are:
Google Wallet is only supported on the Sprint flavor
the apps menu scrolls side-to-side rather than up and down like my G2x and Droid X2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Galaxy S3, November 13, 2012
This phone is the best. It outperforms the iPhone every time. Although SVoice isn't the best, it has other features to make up for it. One thing I have been noticing is it overheating whenever I'm not using it. I recommend this phone to anyone, just go for the 32gb because 16gb fills up quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!!!, November 16, 2012
Wow this baby is smoking hot!! I was originally getting the razr Maxx but thank goodness I didn't. The battery life on this lasts an entire day! I've been using it all day long & started out at only 87% at 7am. Now its at 32% & its 8pm & that's heavy use(3d games,hd movies & surfing). The screen is astonishing ..a big step up from my old Motorola phone of 2 years lol. Multitasking is a breeze. I've said enough. This has to be the best phone out right now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been a contender, January 17, 2013
Bob S (Attleboro, MA USA) - See all my reviews
Not a bad phone, but wish Verizon/Samsung would allow full use of it to the average unrooted user. I bought the 16 gb version (11 gb available for my use) and a 32gb SD card, but the external SD can only be used for storage of pictures, video or music files. Can't place or run any of your apps on the external SD. They also made it much more difficult to access the phone via your USB cable. On my previous (HTC EVO 4G ) phone I could access the SD card like an external disk drive and easily transfer files back and forth. This phone treats your external SD as an afterthought. The carrier and manufacturer are certainly making it more of a necessity for us non-geeks to explore rooting, although I understand that Jelly Bean 4.1.1 has made that a little more difficult, but that will change as the devs have more time to explore. I thought I had done enough due diligence prior to purchase and many of the other competing phones had their own issues

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, April 10, 2013
I ordered 2 of these phones 2 weeks ago, received them promptly within 2 days, charged them, inserted SIMs that came with phones, and was good to go within 5 minutes.
Phones are simply amazing. I am still discovering many features, but so far I used and was amazed with these:
1. Call quality
2. GPS-lock instantly(I live in Chicago-tall buildings...)
3. Data speed(4G LTE with Verizon
4. Screen-Beautiful and bright(could be brighter in sunlight)
5. Motion activated features(Zoom, Text messaging to Voice call, shake to update...)
6. Camera-you don't need to carry your camera-camcorder any more)
7. Battery-It last 15 to 20 hrs with moderate use. I use hepatic feedback,Wi-FI, GPS, upload Apps few times a day, search web, camera with flash...) I was deciding between this phone and Motorola Maxx HD because of battery life, but it is plenty of time between charges)

You can beat the price. I paid $9.99 per phone, and MOTO was $99.99 per phone at the time.Don't be afraid, this is a great device.

Rate and Discover Movies