5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely happy!
Let me preface by saying I'm in my early 30's and I am a mom. I am mostly home, as I work PT out of my house. I had been a loyal Sprint customer for 11 years.

My Sprint contract was coming up. This time, instead of just rolling over and accepting another 2-year contract (with new "dumb" phone), I decided to look around.
If I would have upgraded to a...
Published 23 months ago by Dawn H.

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent not-too-large phone with lousy software
This is a nice dual processor phone with 1gb ram. It has a 4" screen, which was the big attraction for me (I don't want a larger phone). I use T-Mobile.

Published on July 27, 2012 by R. McDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely happy!, October 17, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G SGH-T769 GSM Black - T-Mobile (Wireless Phone Accessory)

If I would have upgraded to a smartphone with data plan, my bill with sprint would have jumped by over $30 to nearly $100/mo for just my cell phone. So for someone who averages 75 min. talking and a lot of text messages, I couldn't see adding that much to our monthly bill.

Enter T-Mobile Monthly 4g. Wow! I get 100 min per month and unlimited text/data, and it's less (per mo.) than I was paying with Sprint? I can definitely work with that! So I researched all their phones and spent time on foot viewing different models. I was unable to find the Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G in any store. I knew that the Galaxy SII was too large for my small hands and just didn't feel comfortable to me. The Galaxy S Blaze is basically the same as the SII, just smaller, with some weaker features (camera).

I have been using this phone for over a week now and am EXTREMELY HAPPY! We get spotty reception in our home and this phone has the capability of wifi calling. So I can have perfect phone reception inside my home. I also use wifi for data while I'm home. It's much faster than what I can get w/o.

I was able to sync the phone with my itunes and now have all music on the data card. I bought a 32gb mini sd from Amazon. That beefs up the storage space considerably. I also upgraded the firmware to Android Ice Cream Sandwich.

This phone now replaces my ipod touch and my "dumb" phone.

I couldn't be happier!

This is a great phone! Try it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to iPhone for teenager with a cheap plan, September 7, 2012
I bought this phone with t-mobiles $30 unlimited data/text and 100 minute per month plan for my teenager. It is his first phone and he is used to what my iPhone can do. I was not about to pay contract prices for him. He is a texter and netflix user, not a talker. I believe his unused 100 monthly minute alotment will roll over for month to month, for up to 3 months, so that may give him some extra talk time if he does get chatty in a particular month and its .10/minute after that. Data coverage is good in the area he is in for 90% of his life, but falls quickly when traveling off major interstates and highways, but he still is able to text/talk in most of those areas. He charges the phone nightly and that will get him through the day even with heavier usage. The phone seems faster than my iPhone4, screen is definitely not as good, but still adequate!!

Bottom line is that this seems BY FAR, the best no contract smart phone that my reasearch led me to (for less than $300). Could not justify Virgin mobile's $600 iPhone plan for him. I had been putting him off for months on this purchase because I wanted to get it right the first time. There are other carriers that offer similar $30-35 no-contract plans, BUT the phones they offer based on reviews by users, I feel, were all JUNK. Based on reviews online and tmobiles user reviews, I knew I finally put this search to an end. The Blaze is a slightly toned down version of the Galaxy S2. Small enough and light enough for him to pocket it.

HE IS VERY PLEASED to have a smart phone that does it all. Many of his friends got phones months and years ago, but my patience (read: CHEAPNESS) prevailed. NOW all he has to do is take care of it and NOT LOSE IT!!!

It's a COOL phone that has, in the month he has had it, worked flawlessly so far. Thinking of replacing my wife's cheapo $50 LG800 (through NET10) with this one, it is SUPERIOR in all aspects and a perfect alternative to my BELOVED iPhone, which has spoiled me to accept NO cheap substitutes!!!

UPDATE 9/28/2012-Still happy with phone, but the 100 minutes expire at the end of each month and do not roll over, which is a little disappointing. I found the "fine print" under T-Mobile support site.

5.0 out of 5 stars it is free, i cant ask for more ^^, March 13, 2013
i am not a tech guy. when people started using smart phone for few years, i was still using my dumb phone. the reason is that i have been thinking it is too expensive for data plan and not worth it (i am not that kind of person needs to update his fb status every single minute, i am brushing my teeth, i am eating breakfast now...) let's wait couple more years for cheaper plans and phones...

i have been waiting for this until 9 months ago. after my att contract ended, i started to do research and end up use TM due to better and cheaper plan. i visited few TM dealers but didnt see this blaze until i visited costco! i really couldnt find a better plan than this: 2 yr new contract with TM, no activation fee, free accessories and most importantly was i got this phone free (i opened 2 new lines so i got 2 free blaze)!

people asked me why not get a s3 (s3 was the newest at that time for being in the market for just 1 month). well, i needed to pay $249 compare to pay $0 to get a free blaze. i preferred the blaze which was released to the market for only 3 months! in fact, my wife also said s3 is too big for her. for a man usually going out without a handbag, s3 is also too big for front jean pocket.

anyway, i am happy for using this phone for 9 months. i dont use it for music or movie. i just use it to dial in/out, emailing, fb, whatsapp, wechat, etc...the phone has no problem to handle all the above tasks so far. i have been getting 4g speed all the times in greater los angeles area.

a reviewer mentioned about not able to see the screen (turn black) whenever finished talking. yes i had that problem too at the beginning. later, i found that i needed to place the phone on my palm horizontally (perpendicular to your body)after i finished to let the screen on again so that you can see all the buttons. but i agree that it is hard to see the screen under sunlight. i need to get the phone closer to my eyes to avoid reflections.

other than that, my phone only freezed 1 time during the past 9 months. i needed to take the battery out for few minutes to let it reset. after that, it worked fine again.

so far i am happy about the phone. $0 for a dual-core, 3 gig internal memory, 5mp camera, 4g speed phone, i cant and shouldnt ask for more ^__^

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phone, March 20, 2013
Absolutely love this phone. It runs on Android 4.0. If you read anywhere that it's on an older Android version, that information is outdated. This phone has now been upgraded to 4.0, and if you buy it, it'll come with 4.0 already installed. I bought this phone after having an Android 1.5 phone for too long.

The Galaxy S Blaze 4G came out about a year ago, but I don't think it'll become dated anytime too soon. It's basically the same as the Samsung Galaxy S2, with a few minor things missing (like HDMI port). So, if you want a phone from the Galaxy family, and don't want to pay too much, I strongly recommend this one. Plus, Tmobile is currently installing an LTE network, so I don't think it makes much sense to pay a lot of money for the Galaxy S3 which is on HSPA+. The Galaxy S Blaze 4G is on HSPA+, but it's cheaper, and a great phone to have until LTE is fully up and running, IMO. I don't do too many crazy things with this phone, but this phone has everything most people use smartphones for.

I love the size, it's about the size of an iPhone. It might be marginally smaller than the Galaxy S2. So, if you're looking for something about as big as the iPhone or S2 (as opposed to the giant S3 and S4), this is your phone.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent phone loaded with bloatware, August 24, 2012
I have had the Blaze for a few weeks and wanted to give my initial impressions. To put these comments into perspective, I was previously using a Samsung Dart (3G, Android 2.2 - see my other reviews). The Dart is decent for a starter smartphone, but after installing a few apps and updates, I quickly ran into app storage limitations not to mention that the Dart could not take advantage of the 4G data network.

The Blaze, on the other hand, is incredibly fast, which is to be expected with a dual-core processor. The face appears to be glass (but not Gorilla Glass). Size wise, the phone is slightly wider than the Dart, but not quite as wide as the Galaxy S3 (which is a bit more than I prefer to carry esp. once you add a case) and fits very comfortably in my front pants pocket.

Before purchasing the phone, I went into a TMO store to give it a test run, which included downloading and running the DiskUsage app. Although the specs boast 4 Gb of internal storage, it seems that the pre-installed software (and there is a LOT of it) cuts the available app storage to roughly 1 Gb. I believe this should be sufficient for most users, but it is something to be aware of if you load tons of apps onto your phone.

Battery life seems to be better than average for a smartphone. FWIW, I have gotten into the habit of charging overnight as well as a few hours in the office.

Given the price ($300 w/o contract through T-Mobile web included a $50 prepaid refill card), I am quite satisfied overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, August 30, 2013
stingerdoc (lawrenceville, ga United States) - See all my reviews
bought this phone as a replacement for my aging Galaxy, what an improvement!
Went from eclair to ice cream sandwich and noticed the speed was awesome
it seems to be a bit more temperamental in that it's easier for calls to drop but I also live in bad
signal area.
where I would have to wait minutes for internet pages to load this thing does in a second or two.
The battery lasts for about 12 hrs for me, maybe a little longer depending on use, i am not constantly
on it however the last phone lasted about 6 to 8 hours in comparison.

4.0 out of 5 stars This phone is pretty great!, July 22, 2013
I've had this phone for about 3 weeks. I upgraded the software to ICS (Android 4) and that was a vast improvement. The camera is decent, the phone is a good weight in your hands. I love this phone. My only problem is that sometimes it freezes up so you have to take the battery out (which is why I gave it only 4 stars) but this really isnt' THAT big of an inconvenience. The occasional freeze up is worth the awesomeness the rest of the phone possesses. I recommend it :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent not-too-large phone with lousy software, July 27, 2012

The reviews online are correct that the screen on this phone is not great, but you can look at the phone and judge for yourself whether that's a deal breaker. The bigger problem is the software. It's got Samsung's theme on top of Android, and it's accompanied with a lot of T-mobile garbage, some of which seems to be placing widgets on the screens.

I switched from a stock android phone with a failing power button. Both my old and new phones are Android 2.3.6. I _much_ prefer stock Android. I would pay extra for a phone with stock android (would have bought a nexus but it's too big).

Please T-Mobile and Samsung (and Verizon and ATT and HTC) give users the ability to switch to uncluttered stock android and see what people choose. Maybe folks would prefer Samsung's overlay and T-Mobile's clutter, maybe not. But the companies would learn something from the experiment and I guarantee that some customers would be happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone, another iphone killer, September 4, 2012
D. Chieng (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I have a Samsung Exhibit II 4G which is an awesome phone. I bought this one for myself and it really blows me away. 4" screen is still considered small enough to fit in your jean pocket, very nice design, feel, and look. The screen is really nice and super AMOLED is noticeably better than LCD. But comparing this screen to Exhibit II 4G's LCD screen, I find Exhibit's white is cool white (better), while Blaze's white is warmer white. BUT super AMOLED's color is very good - nice indeed. Also AMOLED seems to be less reflective than LCD. Dual core is fast! Internal (system+SD) memory is about the same as Exhibit II 4G, 1GB+1.6GB, though Blaze has 1GB RAM while Exhibit has 512MB. Blaze does come with a 4G microSD card which is quite useless for me as I bought and replaced it with a 32G. Blaze comes with gingerbread v2.3.6, and my Exhibit has v2.3.5. Overall, a VERY nice phone - another kudo to Samsung and T-Mobile.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phone, December 27, 2012
Got this phone for my girlfriend as a Christmas present and she loves it. Tmobile network isn't the best but she's used them for years and has no complaints. Phone is sleek, fast, responsive screen and overall very easy to use. Not the best battery life but no android has a good battery. She likes it, so I'm happy... great product.

Rate and Discover Movies