5.0 out of 5 stars Quick review of the Epic 4g Touch
- Updated 10/19/11 -

This is by far the best phone I have ever used. My previous phone is a EVO 4g so luckily i got renewed after a year.

This is my own personal review based on experiences with my EVO 4g, my friends's ip4 and this Epic 4g touch.

By far, Epic 4g touch wins by a mile.

Initial impressions:
1. Its light as...
Published on September 18, 2011 by ED

2.0 out of 5 stars Purchase At Your Own Risk!
EDIT: As of 1/5/2012 I am now highly recommending this device, providing certain conditions are met, as described in my update below. If you would like to review the issues history, read on; if not, jump down to the 1/15 update

On paper - this phone is amazing. And in many ways it is. The screen is brilliant (and surprisingly manageable given its large size)...
Published on October 19, 2011 by Andrew G

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 518 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, when it works, October 21, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G Android Phone, Black (Sprint) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
The phone is good looking, light, fast, and all of those wonderful things. However, as Andrew has detailed above, it doesn't always work! I upgraded a total of 3 lines on my account to this Epic Touch 4g. Within a couple days all of the phones had experienced the "Loss of Service" issue described here: [...]

Basically, you pull your phone out of your pocket to see that its turned the cellular service off inexplicably, and you have to turn the phone all the way off and then back on again to make or receive calls, browse the web, or send a text message. I lost several sales opportunities due to this exact issue and ultimately had to return my phones. Sprint played dumb when I approached them about the issue and wanted to charge me a 35$ restocking fee PER PHONE, unless I spent hours in the sprint store so they could replicate the random problem.

Just save yourself the misery and do NOT buy this phone until these issues are resolved.

3.0 out of 5 stars Performs well IF you get 4G now, January 27, 2012
I got this phone to replace my aging Palm Pre. Being a frugal person, I wanted to stay with Sprint because I had a grandfathered SERO derivative plan called SERO Premium ($50 plus tax per month for 450 voice min, unlimited text and unlimited data).

The phone absolutely kicked butt when I used it at my home office via WIFI (I have FIOS 25/25 service). Speedtest.net averaged around 5 mbps down and 6 mbps up.

Unfortunately, its a whole different story when using it on the road where Speedtest.net averaged around 600 kbps down and 500 kbps up in Central NJ.

There are no existing 4G towers so I am defaulting to 3G which pretty much cripples the phone.

To boot, Sprint STOPPED rolling out 4G WiMax towers and will instead be rolling out 4G LTE towers during 2nd half of 2012 and into 2013.

Although they are both labeled 4G, these are two distinct technologies and my current Samsung Galaxy SII Epic Touch is ONLY ABLE to operate under 4G WiMax.

So what does that mean for me? Since there is no existing 4G WiMax service where I live now, and any new 4G LTE will not be compatible with my shiny new phone, I would be using it EXCLUSIVELY as a 3G phone for the life of the contract (2 years).

It would be nice if Sprint employee informed me of this when I purchased it, don't you think? Well, I decided to return this phone (within 14 days and eat the $36 activation fee) and will be porting out to Verizon Wireless where they have extensive 4G LTE coverage in my area.

So, if you currently can receive 4G WiMax signals where you live, by all means upgrade to this phone. The phone itself is awesome and you won't regret it.

But, if you are like me living in a 3G area only, forget the upgrade and wait until Sprint starts rolling out LTE compatible devices (projected to be 2nd half) but with Sprint/Lightsquared fiasco going on now, I would seriously consider porting out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazing phone, my review is for sprint Costumer service, May 31, 2012
I COPY MY STORY FROM THE SPRINT FORUM

This is my story with Sprint

I bought a Galaxy S2 in October 2011, beautiful phone, loved it since the very first day, activated it, all went very smoothly, good signal, good connection speed, all good for the first couple of days ( the first 30 days are the most important ones, because during this trial period is where you decide if you want to keep the phone, the company, the plan).

But in February 12, 2012 ( just 4 months after purchase... 4 months into my 2 year contract) I started having problems with my service. I noticed that i kept getting voicemails from phone calls I did not hear, just the voicemail, no missed calls, when i tried to reply these calls i wouldnt be able to, calls were not going through, that day i ignored the issue, maybe its just a temporary thing i said to myself. But over the next 2 days the problem persisted and i decided to call Sprint to complain. I was told there was a service outtage and that the issue should resolve within 24-48 hours ( This was 4 months ago! ). Needless to say the issue was not resolved, and 72 hours later i called and i was told that the issue was going to resolve that night " at 10:34 Central time", at 10:35 central time the issue was still there, then they said "tomorrow", tomorrow came, still same problem.

I was told i had to reset my phone (meaning back up my contacts and lose all my apps); which i did, still the issue persisted
I was told to take the phone to the nearest sprint repair center, which i did. But here is the issue, the phone worked perfectly when i took it to the repair center, that's when i realized (while the guy at the center was looking at me as if was a mad man claiming to have seen an alien) that my phone did not work exclusively in my appartment, and everywhere else in chicago it worked perfectly. I was told by the very nice guy who helped me (yes, the only person out of the 125.. ish sprint representatives that i spoke to who actually helped me) that i should try to get an Airwave device of something of the sort.

I called and inquired about such device and was told that we need to wait to see if the issue resolves before getting it. 2 weeks gone by, nearly 3 and still i was unable to communicate in my apartment or nearby. During one of these calls i am told that the tower that seems to be affecting my cell phone will be down until September, and that in the meantime there is nothing that can be done.

I call again and (at this point i begin to lose my patience) ask nicely if i am expected not to make a phone call from my apartment for the next 6 months. Then I get this airwave thing approved.
I set it up and it worked the first couple of days, but then it kept getting disconected, turning lights on and off, blinking yellow and green, not knowing when it's working, when it is not, i called sprint several times and each time i was told to reset, a process that required waiting until the next day to see if the whole thing had worked.

4 months have gone by and Still i am :
- unable to communicate with my fiance and my family when i get home from work
- Unable to return my work related calls ( i am a doctor, i am expected to answer within the minute when i am paged... it would take me an average of 10 minutes, some 20-30 call attempts to actually get a phone call out)
- Receive calls from delivery services when i ordered something, after while i just ordered carry out, thanks to my phone.
- Receive the so called "follow up calls" from Sprint, the next day to see if my issue had been solved

Now, i hope someone would undertand how frustrating it is that everytime i called sprint to complain about this issue, someone completely new and unaware of my problems would answer the phone, i had to explain the issue, they would ask some stupid questions and then transfer me to a higher up person, of course, to whom i would have to explain the whole thing one more time, only to be fed lies about timelines and expectations to have my issue solved.

I dont ask for much from a phone company, i ask to be able to make and receive phone calls. Before sprint i was with metro PCS a company that charged me 40 bucks a month for which i was able to make and receive [hone calls without any problem.... and no contract. I decided to "upgrade" went to a larger company, with larger national coverage and bout a much nicer phone, that tweets and updates facebook status without any problems... but cant make or receive a damn phone call when i am in my apartment.

My greatest dissapointment is not the fact that I Had a problem, MY GREATEST DISSAPOINMENT is the POOR COSTUMER SERVICE THAT I RECEIVED FROM SPRINT. To the point that when i asked about terminating my contract and perhaps having the early termination fee waved, a guy yelled at me, told me that I was using my phone regularly and thus i was getting the service i paid for and then had the nerve to ask me to reply "yes" when asked if he had solved my issue in the next day survey ( i only got that survey phone call once, and lucky for that guy, it wasnt for him).

Today I spoke with a cancellation agent, determined to cancel my line and switch to another company before i lose my job, my marriage or my mind. The guy told me that i did not qualify to have the erly termination fee because " there are not enough towers down in my sector". Well, thats just about great.

This did it for me, tomorrow i will pay that early termination fee, move to another company (this time i wont be looking at phone specs, brands, data speed or even monthly payments) , i will move to the company with the highest costumer satisfaction, as the past 4 months have taught me that this is the most important thing when dealing with a phone company.

I asked the guy who tried to help me today ( nice guy, nothing personal) for an email to try to write someone my story, my dissapointment and my opinion, he said there was no one i could write to. Thus i decided that i would write everyone about it, i hope this post is not erased, but if it is i plan to post it on amazon ( i bought my phone through them) and everwhere else where people might listen, because if Sprint wont listen i hope the current costumers and potential costumers of sprint will.

I Know this is an isolated issue regarding sprint's coverage, i will admit that almost everywhere else in chicago my phone works great, but the lack of help and level of abuse i have had ( or felt) from sprint is the take home point from this post.

1.0 out of 5 stars Samsung should not be allowed to make phones, April 24, 2012
I had the Galaxy S Epic 4g upgraded to Galaxy S2 Epic touch 4g. Things that didnt change.

1. Battery does not last compared to my new HTC EVO 3D since day one. (Not fixed from Epic 4g)
2. Slowest phone in it's class could be because the processor cant handle it or they cant customize Android OS for their hardware.(Not fixed from Epic 4g)
3. GPS never works when it does it will lose it's connection 2 blocks or a mile before an exit you had to take.(Not fixed from Epic 4g)
4. Phone gets really hot in my pocket from background running apps(New problem)
5. Skips sending text msgs to people until phone is reset (New problem)
6. Contacted Samsung they said send us the phone with no replacement in the mean while. Went out and bought a HTC without a contract.

1.0 out of 5 stars Never worked, December 2, 2011
After receiving the Galaxy SII, on Oct 5, 2011 the phone immediately began opening and closing its own programs when attached to the cell phone charger. On Nov 15, 2011 the phone started malfunctioning. It began to go into and out of drive mode, would dial random numbers, announce that it was plugged in when it was not plugged in, and finally aside from the random freezing it will turn itself back on when it is shut off. After speaking with WIREFLY they said it was outside their window and recommended I call SAMSUNG because its under their warranty. I trouble shot the phone until 18 Nov with SAMSUNG over a different phone. After the troubleshooting failed SAMSUNG said it was necessary to send in for a repair and said they would put a rush on it because it's a new phone. They claimed they would send me a two day shipping label under ticket. After I printed the UPS label they sent me a five day label not a two day. Then after 1.5 hours of phone calls SAMSUNG resent the label under ticket and after I sent the phone in on 19 Nov 2011 I didn't receive it back until 2 Dec. I sent the phone in with a letter which had bulleted the issues the phone had. On 2 Dec, as soon as I received the package, I turned it on it began malfunctioning exactly the same way it was prior to 19 Nov. In the end SAMSUNG said they did a software update and ran a test that said that it was functioning. If they actually turned on the phone they would have seen all the issues I previously mentioned of which all issues remain.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, September 17, 2011
This is such an amazing phone, fast, not a single lag or hickup, and its HUGH! thank you samsung for actually creating a really good phone!

1.0 out of 5 stars Lost My Faith in Samsung Products, July 27, 2013
I bought this phone in February 2012. This phone worked pretty well until the first software update. Battery life was rapidly shortened after each software update. The mini usb port that you use to charge the phone became slightly loose - the result is I get several "high voltage" messages and phone stops charging. To get around this I had to buy a wall charger and spare battery to swap out when battery gets low. Sprint would not help since I had cancelled protection plan 1 month before problems started. Also after much research I found out part of the massive battery drain is due to the 3G connection being on all the time when you don't really need it. I had to search menus to find a way to turn it off. (under Settings, select "more" under "Wireless and network", select "Mobile Networks", then uncheck "3G Data") Your battery will have much more life now. Just turn 3G or 4G on when you need internet access. I used to think Samsung made great products but I have lost my faith in them. My Samsung HD Plasma TV developed a problem after about 1 year where it will switch channels or turn off on its own. It is a know problem but there has been no recall issued for this product. There needs to be a recall for the mini usb port issue which is a known defect of this smartphone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone but it has some minor problems, November 8, 2012
This phone is awesome! It's not perfect though.

PROS:

1. Amazing graphics. Makes gaming and everything else incredible.

2. Perfect camera quality.

3. Battery life is good.

4. I like the size.

5. Calls come in perfect!

6. Hardly ever lags.

CONS:

1. Sometimes it can freeze. But I can always fix that by pressing the power button.

2. The menu comes up out of nowhere. Even when I don't press the menu button.

It's a great phone and these problems are very minor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loving it!, November 6, 2012
I am loving this phone! It's very clear and easy to use. The internal space (2g) is more than adequate for apps and downloads. It comes with an 8mp camera which is awesome! I tested the camera in a completely dark room and used the flash. The image came out extremely clear! The screen is huge and clear. The phone it self is slim.

I gave it only 4 stars for 2 reasons:
1. The phone is larger than what I am used to. A little too big for my hands
2. Every now and then it will freeze than a message comes up saying the Sprint ID stopped responding. I just hit OK and then the phone is normal and I just continue with what I was doing.

I never knew how much of a difference 4g would make until I got this phone. It's a BIG difference! I am pretty much in love with my phone!

5.0 out of 5 stars User Friendly, Sharp Smartphone!, November 6, 2012
I have had this phone since 3/2012, and it is simply amazing. I have had the iPhone 1, 3g, and 3gs, and there is no comparison. Those in the know buy Android phones. At the time I had the other phones, the only comparable Android phone was the Droid series, but you could pretty much only get them from Verizon (which is great but costs more for comparable plan). With ATT which I'd had for years, it was Apple or Blackberry. When I left my family's ATT plan to buy my own, first of all, I immediately chose Sprint, no contest. Lower price, one of the Big 3 carriers, and as of March when I was shopping, ONLY one of them offering truly unlimited 4g. Bingo. My biggest problems with iPhones was 1)they are not customizable, you may not add capacity with sd cards or new battery. Annoying for something you bought and paid for. And 2)doesnt support Flash. Thats a TON of the internet thaf you can't access or see. If I'm paying for data, I want to use it. I was blown away by the size of the crisp HD screen, the speed, and the convenience of having settings, home, back, and search buttons built in at the side, saves a lot of clicking around. Just use one of these for a day then try to go back to an iPhone..you'll be pulling your hair out! I am constantly being stopped and.complimented on how cool this phone is. A neat bonus: the photo quality is awesome! And sharing is a breeze. All I can say is, Apple had better watch out!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 518 | Next ›