5.0 out of 5 stars Quick review of the Epic 4g Touch
- Updated 10/19/11 -

This is by far the best phone I have ever used. My previous phone is a EVO 4g so luckily i got renewed after a year.

This is my own personal review based on experiences with my EVO 4g, my friends's ip4 and this Epic 4g touch.

By far, Epic 4g touch wins by a mile.

Initial impressions:
1. Its light as...
Published on September 18, 2011 by ED

2.0 out of 5 stars Purchase At Your Own Risk!
EDIT: As of 1/5/2012 I am now highly recommending this device, providing certain conditions are met, as described in my update below. If you would like to review the issues history, read on; if not, jump down to the 1/15 update

On paper - this phone is amazing. And in many ways it is. The screen is brilliant (and surprisingly manageable given its large size)...
Published on October 19, 2011 by Andrew G

‹ Previous | 14 5 618 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone I've ever owned, September 29, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G Android Phone, Black (Sprint) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I've had my S2 for over a year now, and despite the allure of the S3, am still amazingly satisfied with the return on every dollar spent on it.

PERFORMANCE:
Forget spec comparison games, real-world use is what matters. And this phone never disappoints, even when multi-tasking 5-7 apps.

EASE OF USE:
If you're used to iPhone or smaller phones, it takes a couple of months to get used to the giant form-factor, but you'll never want to go back. The Samsung customization's of Android add some needed structure to the oft-random world of the Android OS. (I prefer this to Motorola and HTC models I've used.)

BATTERY LIFE:
Herein lies the rub. It used to be respectable; a full day of use and pulling data for WiFi/4G apps. But, after Sprint pushed down the ICS update, I'm luck to get 4-5 hours of the same without plugging it in. Still tweaking the setting to see what might be causing this, but I've heard ICS users of the S3 don't have this problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, September 12, 2012
After reading the hundreds of comments about this phone and dancing back and forth I brought my wife one and she loved hers so much I got one too.I love everything about this phone except for the fact that you cant turn off the shutter sound on the camera but other than that I would highly recommend this phone to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Love This Phone, September 6, 2012
This is my first smartphone and I've had it almost a year. We have been Sprint customers for 15+ years. We have stayed with Sprint due to exceptionally competitive calling plans. As long as you recognize that Sprint's market is primarily urban and along Interstate highways and that meets your needs, then Sprint is great. Now with their unlimited roaming plans it's great no matter where you are. Now, on to the phone...this is my first smartphone. Over the past year as I have used more and more features I've found it to be very well designed and easy to operate. I will say the software change pushed right before the patent case decision was not useful and degraded the efficiency of many of the system functions of the phone. For example, a speed dial call now takes 3 keystrokes vs. two before the update. Battery life is great. Dropped calls are not any more of an issue than they are for my friends on competing networks. The only deficiency I have found with this phone is the antenna...often I will have one or more fewer bars of Sprint service than my other family members who also have Sprint but have different phones...that tells me it is a phone issue, not a Sprint network issue. As for app crashing and GPS getting lost that others have complained about, I discovered that just like most computers, this phone has to be turned off and turned back on every few days to keep it running at optimum efficiency. As long as I turn it off periodically, I have no problems. I have liked this phone so much, I wish I was eligible for an upgrade so I could get an S3 but I'll just have to wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Phone, August 29, 2012
Got the phone for my girlfriend as a early birthday gift and she loves it. She always had a Samsung phone and then switched to a LG now back again. You can't get her to put it down. One of the best phones ever. The specs is awesome and the camera takes beautiful pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy cow! So this is what I've been missing!, August 18, 2012
ARH (The Shadow of the Tetons) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I have technically owned a cell phone for years now, but due to the fact that we also have had a string of three teenagers in the house over the past, well, several years, I have seldom actually carried or used a cell phone extensively. This past spring, however, our third teen, the one who habitually made off with my cell phone most regularly, graduated from HS and is off to college in less than a month. So I decided that it was time to get a cell phone of my own, one that's hands-off to the kids, et al.

This means that for the most part, I've effectively leapfrogged at least a few generations of cell phones and jumped into the world of smart phones with both feet.

A learning curve definitely exists, but I'm climbing it nicely, and am completely enjoying this unit.

I do have to admit that the phone is actually a bit larger than I would prefer, but at the same time the screen size and quality is amazing.

The buttons at the bottom of the phone are largely intuitive, and within a few minutes I'd figured out how to call, text, email, etc. OK, the guy at the Spring store actually set up my email (because it's linked to my work email) for me, but my wife linked into her gmail account with no problem.

There are some things that are NOT intuitive, though, like how to forward text messages, but I figured that out. There is a nice use manual that comes with the unit, as well as on-line support, but just playing with the thing is probably the best way to get it figured out.

I LOVE being able to access my phone, text, and email all in one device. Plus having access to the internet and a huge array of apps makes this a VERY useful tool AND entertainment device.

The area where I live has only 3G, but I like that the phone has capability for 4G as well.

It's not that I don't know how I got along without this phone before - I know how I did - but now that I have it, I am REALLY enjoying it!

Let's see...what else. With heavy usage I have been getting about 4-6 hours per battery charge.

All in all this is a fantastic bit of technology, and I'm glad I have it. Cheers!

So far - 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars samsung s2, July 29, 2012
Just got this phone three days ago could of got the Samsung s3 but I didn't like the physical button and I counld of got the HTC evo 4 lte but its can't connect to 4 g until late this year...but I got this and its perfact

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless Smartphone, July 21, 2012
This device is the smoothest, most customizable phone on the market other than the Galaxy S3. Whoever say the display is choppier than the iphone4, obviously has a flawed device & needs to exchange it ASAP. Its just as smooth & on heavy loaded websites its actually smoother than the iphone. Go to sprint & use them side by side. Touchwiz has 0 lag & 3rd party launcher run flawlessly as well. Try it out & see for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Galaxy S2, July 11, 2012
This is by far the greatest phone I have ever purchased. The pros: Super quick, plays games perfectly with little to no glitching (never has glitched on me), camera is wonderful, speakers are great for it's size, has plenty of storage space in phone for music and movies. The cons: a bit bulky especially with a case (I purchased an Otterbox Defender Series Case), and I recently had to take it in to sprint for a hardware/software problem not caused by myself. They were able to replace the phone for free with the exception of shipping/handling and I got it the next day due to the 1 year warranty Samsung provides for the phone. I did not have insurance on the phone either. The problem was that it was saying it was charging but was not plugged in, when I turned the phone completely off it restarted automatically and then the computer wouldn't recognize it when I plugged it in via USB which I never previously had a problem with. Problem was resolved when I received my new phone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, July 11, 2012
Fast and very power efficient for an Android phone. Samsungs Touchwiz over Android gives it a cartoony look. Camera is good but video is shakey. Still running Gingerbread on Sprint which sucks but a good phone if its below 100 bucks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Now I Know What the "S" Stands For..., June 13, 2012
UPDATE:

After having this POS for over a year now I have to down grade it to 1 star. This keyboard is the worst in the world... It sucks terribly!!! Very fustrating...I should switch to another KB I know... No more samsungs for me!!!

S***!!! LOL!!!

This is my updated review of the Samsung Epic (LOL!) 4G Touch smartphone. After having it for 3 months now, I can give a much better review of it and it's flaws.

I've had to downgrade this phone to 3 stars and it's lucky it's getting that. I have 3 gripes with this so-called "Super Phone!"

1) The Google Navigator GPS. This thing is a joke! I have to use it at work because I drive for a living. To be

honest I would say it works 75% of the time. That other 25% it has a hard time locking on to a Satellite. This is a known issue with this phone that they have not corrected. Even with ICS 4.04 or whatever number it is. Or it gives me a wrong location for the address I punched in. That is Google's fault. Not too sure who should get the major blame for this Google Navigator, Google or Samsung. I have a friend who has a Motorola Razr and she has the same problem. Just not as reliable as my 5 year-old Garmin GPS. Very fustrating to say the least.

2) This doesn't happen very often at all, but last week I was trying to surf the Internet with it and I was trying to scroll down the webpage and it kept going back to the top. Extremely fustrating.

3) The virtual pain in the a** keyboard. I've never liked these to begin with. But I thought with this phone having a 4.5" screen, that it wouldn't be a problem, but it is. You pretty much have to have Mickey Mouse fingers to type accurately with these keyboards.

My first smartphone was the HTC Incredible. Nice phone but it would go buggy while surfing the Net as well. In fact it was much worse. It would start typing letters by itself while I was composing emails and texts. Really weird.

All I have to say is, is that they certainly have not perfected the smartphone yet. Most people are paying over $100 a month for these phones. Especially if they are with that ripoff carrier that carries the Incredibles. Fortunately I'm under my sister's family plan and I pay about one third the normal cost for unlimited everything.

P.S. There is one significant plus. The phone tethers onto my laptop without kicking me off the Internet, unlike my Droid Incredible 3G used to do constantly. Tether.com is the way to go on that one. Just a one time $29.95 fee and your good. I can PC game online with it, watch Netflix movies with it, Youtubes, etc.

I hope this review was helpful.

UPDATE 07/01/12:

I just wanted to add an update to the Sprint Samsung Galaxy SII.

I've had it for one month now and I am very happy with it. The operating system with all the screen menues are so fluid and smooth. You can really feel the power behind the 1.2GHZ Dual-Core processor. On top of that it has an independent GPU (Graphics Processor) as well.

Some folks have complained about the location of the power button when they are accessing the volume buttons, inadvertently shutting the phone off. I've experienced this only a few times at the beginning. But now that I'm used to the phone, that doesn't happen anymore.

Also, at the beginning the Galaxy SII seemed kind of big for my tastes, but like other reviewers have mentioned, it grows on you. It now feels perfect to me. I kind of like it without the phone case on it, but I would hate to drop it and scuff it up. So the case stays on, which is low profile anyway.

I've upgraded my four star rating to a five star rating because after one month of owning it, it has proved to be an excellent smartphone from Korea giant Samsung. I like their other products as well. LCD/LED PC monitors and flat panel TV's.

The only downfall is Sprint's 4G Wimax coverage which could be better. I've noticed that their 4G coverage is excellent in commercial areas, but lacks considerably in residential areas. The perfect scenario would be the Samsung Galaxy SII with the Verizon network with Sprint's unbeatable Everything Plan. But unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world. :-(

06/13/12 Review:

I won't go into a lengthly review of all the features that this phone has, because there are plenty of good ones to read.

I've had the phone for two weeks and it works flawlessly. Some folks nit-pick about it only having 800X480 resolution, but believe me, I see no difference between it and phones that have 1280X720. With that Super Amoled Plus screen, everything is crystal clear and sharp with the fonts and the videos look like 1080P. Very impressive to look at. I also think I just found my new E-reader.

When I was shopping around for a new smartphone, I told myself that I wasn't going to get a big slab one. I was looking at the Blackberry 9930 and even came pretty close to getting the iphone 4. But those phones with their tiny screens and non-adjustable fonts were just too small to deal with. I mean I could read them, buy I said to myself, why? (And oh by the way... Apple is coming out with a larger screen. 3.95" worth... lol. Wow... that's going to make a real big difference). On top of that, they are both 3G.

Was even looking at the HTC Evo 4G. The only problem with that is that there is no Sprint 4G LTE right now. So your stuck with 3G again. Besides, 4.5" is my limit. It's been posted that it does take a while to get used to the size of this phone... but it is very thin and light. Small profile.

WARNING: I know that T-Mobile is a good carrier... but stay away from their version of the Samsung Galaxy S2. It has a stronger processor at 1.5Ghz, but when I was in their store checking out the display model, it kept freezing on me. I also met a co-worker with the T-Mobile version and he said his does the same thing. So far, no problems with my Sprint version doing that. I also heard that smartphones do this because we don't turn off our phones at night. This is actually what the T-Mobile rep told my co-worker.

So I went with the $49.99 Amazon Wireless special on my sister's family plan. I only pay $30 a month for unlimited everything. Used to pay $82 a month with my Droid Incredible with only 450 minutes with that rip-off carrier. Sprint's 4G Wimax coverage could be better. They say they are improving it, but with them coming out with their 4G LTE... who knows.

‹ Previous | 14 5 618 | Next ›