5.0 out of 5 stars Quick review of the Epic 4g Touch
- Updated 10/19/11 -

This is by far the best phone I have ever used. My previous phone is a EVO 4g so luckily i got renewed after a year.

This is my own personal review based on experiences with my EVO 4g, my friends's ip4 and this Epic 4g touch.

By far, Epic 4g touch wins by a mile.

Initial impressions:
1. Its light as...
Published on September 18, 2011 by ED

2.0 out of 5 stars Purchase At Your Own Risk!
EDIT: As of 1/5/2012 I am now highly recommending this device, providing certain conditions are met, as described in my update below. If you would like to review the issues history, read on; if not, jump down to the 1/15 update

On paper - this phone is amazing. And in many ways it is. The screen is brilliant (and surprisingly manageable given its large size)...
Published on October 19, 2011 by Andrew G

‹ Previous | 15 6 718 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, camera, and entertainment device!, June 12, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G Android Phone, Black (Sprint) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I love this phone! The screen is gorgeous with deep and rich colors and puts any other phone I consider buying to shame. The screen is the main reason I keep passing up on very good phones that has screens that just do not POP like these AMOLED screens. I enjoy watching videos and just using my phone in general. Hell, even looking at my Live Wallpapers makes me happy on this phone. The camera is very solid, except for low light situations. I took this on a trip to Tokyo along with my Canon point and shoot and I honestly took hundreds of photos with this while my Canon collected dust. Not because it was waaay better as a camera on vacation but because the shots were very nice and clear while this was easier to lug around than even a small point and shoot (due to thinness.) I literally took 0 pictures with my Canon and over a thousand shots on my Epic Touch. That fact spokes volumes since I didn't even realize that fact until the end of my trip. It is plenty fast with its dual-core processor and RAM so using any program and game has been pretty snappy. The only issue I might have is battery life not lasting me until the end of my day (your results may vary) but that is an issue with damn near all of the smartphones released in the past couple of years. I hope these companies are working on newer battery technology just like they dedicate to new screen and processor tech. This phone is great and if you use a program from the Google Play Store called Juice Defender (no I dont know anyone there) I think you will thoroughly enjoy this phone. Its basically like having a Galaxy S3 with a slightly smaller screen. I loaded Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and it has been an excellent experience. I cant wait until they come out with an official Samsung release for this phone and Im sure you will love it as much as I have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Galaxy S2 It's a Great Phone, April 13, 2012
Ok I've owned this now for 6 months. The Galaxy S2 has turned out to be a very good phone. I got 2 of them. I have had no problems yet and the phone works just as good today as it did when I got it new. I could never go back to a small screen now from this 4.55" screen.

I use my phone about 2 hours a day playing games and depending on the app will be very hard on the battery. I've found the app designers are programming to help reduce battery drain but they can only due so much. I always have a charger handy for those days where I play more but I dont feel the battery is inadequate. If I surf the net for a couple hours a day, take a few pictures and text 50 texts along the way the phone stays charged all day with about 25-30% left when I'm getting in bed. Pretty descent. Now watching netflix movies will kill it in 1.5 hours so leaving it on charge is necessary. The battery will get super HOT when it's charging while your watching movies. My battery app measures the temperature of the battery and it shows the battery exceeding 110* at times when I'm using it as it's charging. I don't know if this will shorten the batt life or not.

The only weird thing that happend with this phone is the orange "contacts" icon got pushed out of my bottom permanent row within 2 minutes of messing around with it the day I got it. Now it's on the home page up top with my other downloaded apps. I don't mind but I've never been able to fix it back to factory placement. Now I just have Phone, Messaging and Applications icons on the home page.

I got what you call the "Fishbone" case for it off ebay for like $12. It keeps the phone thin but does cause it to be quite grippy when you try to put it in your pocket. I thought after a few months it would not be so grippy but it still is. It has saved my phone from 3 waist high drops onto ceramic tile. It's rubber and flexible but has a fishbone shaped hard plastic piece that goes around the case. Very cool looking and protecting case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sprint Phone EVER!!!!!, March 31, 2012
I got this phone a few days ago from amazon wireless, and i liked it so much i realized i had to make a review! First, let me tell you about amazon wireless. Amazon Wireless is by FAR the easiest to use website for buying a phone with a two year contract. They even activate the phone for you, so when you turn it on its already activated! And they give you a free gift(Car charger!!!). Also, amazon wireless has some of the best prices around! And they even offer FREE two day shipping on all phones so they arrive super quick! It dosent get much better than that! So now let me tell you about the Samsung Galaxy S2 epic touch 4g android phone(i will be calling it 'galaxy' in this review because the name is too long), and why it is currently the best sprint phone on the market.

Pros:
-It is EXTREMELY light!!! It almost feels like your holding a toy!
-1.2 GHZ Dual-Core processor and 1GB RAM. For those of you who dont know what that means, it means it is VERY VERY VERY FAST! Currently the FASTEST sprint phone on the market!!!
-Good Size. Before i bought it, when i was looking at the pictures and reviews, i was afraid it would be so big that i wouldnt be able to handle it in one hand and it wouldn't even fit in my pocket. This is Definitely NOT the case. The screen is big yes, but i can still easily handle it in one hand and fits in all my pants, and shorts pockets.
-Beautiful super AMOLED screen, the brightness changes according to the environment!!! I think that's pretty cool!
-Screen is strong and scratch resistant
-Touchwiz
-8 megapixel camera, and HD 1080p video recording!! Galaxy's camera is even better than my point and shoot camera! I dont even use my camera anymore now that i have this phone!
-Very easy to use
-SUPER EASY to transfer files from computer to phone. After you connect using usb cable, the only thing you need to do is copy and paste stuff into your phone's folder!
Cons:
-The cable is pretty short
-does not come with headphones
Other stuff:
-Take a picture of screen by holding power button and home button at the same time!
-You can make your own folders and organize them
-Music and calls still are on when the screen is off
Whats in the box:
-Phone, battery, usb cable, ac power adapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Damn, March 23, 2012
I've only had the phone for two days, but I must say I am seriously impressed.

Beautiful sleek design. Lightweight. The screen is gorgeous. The Operating System is zippy. I was creating my own tabs within minutes, customizing to my preferences.

I deleted the installed Sprint bloatware that I could and installed things from the then Android Market, now Google Play.

The picture is crisp, the touch response perfect, and zipping through screens and menus goes by without a hitch.

I did notice my battery dying QUICKLY - but that was before I downloaded "Open Advanced Task Killer," which allows me to kill programs that would otherwise drain power (think: facebook, google playwords, etc). Also, I shut down GPS and 4G when it is not needed, and vary my screen brightness as needed.

As for the phone itself, it is light and sleek. Since my purchase, I have ordered a screen protector and case. hey, I want to protect my investment. Since I am in EMS and constantly on the move, I though a little extra protection would be a good thing.

What comes in the box is the phone, battery, and power adapter.

Honestly, I am really digging my purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great phone besides non-functional GPS, March 12, 2012
Kannon30 (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this phone about three months ago, after upgrading from an HTC Evo 4G device. My Evo's GPS was awesome. It would pick up very quickly and I had no issues with it. This phone has a completely unusable GPS signal. I've tried looking for fixes, but they all involve flashing third party ROMs on it (not too easy to do for the regular joe who isn't on top of technology).

Pros:
-Very slim. Pop this thing in your jeans and hardly anyone will know.
-Cheap accesories. As it uses standard cabling, you can buy cheap knock-off accessories and they work fine.
-Big, vibrant screen
-Feel in the hand (I know this is subjective, but it feels really good in the hand)

Cons:
-Battery has gotten a bit "meh" after 3 months. I can get through about 8 hours without charging it. This involves no video watching, only streaming podcasts (~ 1 hour) and push email on.
-The worst GPS I have ever seen. I could be in the middle of the city without a cloud in the sky and it would take me anywhere from 10-20 minutes to get a GPS positioning. Even when it's on, it'll say I'm in the wrong part of town, sometimes even 8-10 miles away. After checking in the forums and with friends with the phone, they agree that it's horrible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - but a lot of learning to do if upgrading from a low-end phone!, February 23, 2012
Fair_weather_fan (Southern Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
I looked at some of the reviews here just now - AFTER I got the Galaxy as a Christmas gift. Some people have worried about the thinness and fragile feel of the phone. Unfortunately one of the first things I did was drop it - on a hardwood floor! (I was trying to carry too much junk.) The battery cover came off, and the battery dropped out. I put the battery back in, and the cover back on (something I have had trouble doing with some of my previous phones), and it went quickly and easily, and the phone worked just fine and seemed none the worse for wear. The AT&T site has some occasionally helpful "tutorials," as does You Tube. Also, there are books on Amazon, two of which I purchased, but have only had time to use as reference works for looking up problems as they occurred. My husband and I have been using pay-as-you-go phones for several years now because they fit our lifestyle (at home it's a few calls a week, when traveling it can be really heavy). Also, our favorite restaurants and bars have free wi-fi, as do most airports now. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that the IPhone is not available on pay-as-you-go through any carrier that *I know of, whereas the Samsung Galaxy phones ARE. I would have chosen an Android phone anyhow - simply from watching my friends and relatives using the two types of phones. I did need to buy a couple of styli from Amazon because I kept hitting two keys at once; they do help ME a lot - and also I downloaded the free Thick Buttons app which makes the keys look bigger, and as it learns the words you usually type, it anticipates your next letter and makes that REALLY BIG. Overall, I am very satisfied with the phone - but still have a lot of learning to do!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone!!!, February 15, 2012
As of this review date, I've had the phone for about 4 weeks. I've been an avid Blackberry user for 3 years (first with AT&T and then with T-mobile). I didn't imagine that I would ever go to a touchscreen device. However, I felt increasingly handicapped by my inability to use web-based applications effectively on the Blackberry. The choice came down to iPhone or Android. After doing careful research (including reading Amazon reviews), I became convinced that Android was the way to go (flexibility, increased memory, independence from iTunes, etc.). The various bloggers and Android forums seem to agree that as of 2011-2012, Samsung Galaxy SII (and its myriad variants) is the a top choice for Android users.

The Great Stuff:
Light and thin, yet super capable! 4G (where available) is blazing-fast.

Screen size: I am amazed at the size of this display! The 4.52" Super AMOLED Plus is incredibly vivid and there is plenty of screen real estate to do what you need to do. I do a lot of remote login, and this device enables me to get things done nearly as quickly as they can be done on my PC.

Processor: 1.2GHz dual core. This is a faster processor than most of the PC's I've owned! Apps launch super fast, and operation is smooth.

Memory: 16GB on board, and with my added 32GB microSD card, I have plenty of space to add apps and store data (beats the iPhone!!!!!!!!!!!).

Camera: At 8MP, this camera is one of the best you'll ever find in a phone. My wife's iPhone is also equipped with an 8MP camera, but the quality of pics is worse than the ones I was getting with my Blackberry's 5MP camera.

The So-So Stuff:
Battery life: this phone will work for about half a day with heavy media use before needing to be recharged. I played with the settings and was able to optimize the phone so that it lasts almost the whole day before I need to recharge it. Some power-saving tips-- reduce the screen brightness; choose a static dark wallpaper; reduce the key vibration response intensity; turn off GPS, bluetooth, and WiFi when not in use; close apps when not using them.

Typing: imprecise and takes some getting used to (especially if you're coming from a physical keyboard phone). I downloaded the Go Keyboard (free) and it seems to be working better than the pre-installed one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Phone is great, Sprint..not so much, February 9, 2012
TaserTot (Northeast US) - See all my reviews
I just got this phone a few days ago. I have been downloading apps and updating things through my wireless connection at home. The phone works great through the wireless. My phone has the EL29 kernel and base version, so it should be good, however, when I go out and get away from the wireless I can hardly use any of the apps because the phone will not connect to the network. It sometimes connects for a few seconds, then it disconnects. I had a hard time even looking up restaurants near me while I was out.

I bought this phone because I do alot of traveling by car for work. I travel all over the country. From what I've seen from Sprint so far I think I may have made a mistake going with them. I will give it a couple of months but if the service elsewhere is anything like it is near my home then I will be forced to switch carriers.

I will update if I find that there is something I can do to fix the signal strength or something like that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Phone, February 3, 2012
I have had no issues with this phone at all after having carried it since the beginning of November. My phone has never froze, restarted or anything. I have about 20 apps downloaded on the phone and I have never even got the annoying force close messages that I always got on my HTC phones from my apps. I can't understand everyones complaints about calling. I live in an area where service with anyone is not that good and I still have never dropped a call or had any problems with calls. This is arguably one of the best phones on the market right now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing piece of technology, January 24, 2012
Pros: Blazing speed, stunning images, limitless entertainment... The Samsung Galaxy S II unleashes ground-breaking smartphone technology to deliver a mobile experience like nothing that's come before. The 4.3" SUPER AMOLED Plus display goes a step beyond the already remarkable SUPER AMOLED to provide enhanced readability, a slimmer design, and better battery consumption for the best viewing value of any smartphone.Samsung did it again - I love my Samsung Galaxy S but man, Galaxy S2 is the best phone I have ever pick up. iPhone 4 has nothing on this amazing phone.

Cons: Just 1 - This phone should of came out sooner to the states.

- BEST PHONE EVER!!