5.0 out of 5 stars Quick review of the Epic 4g Touch
- Updated 10/19/11 -

This is by far the best phone I have ever used. My previous phone is a EVO 4g so luckily i got renewed after a year.

This is my own personal review based on experiences with my EVO 4g, my friends's ip4 and this Epic 4g touch.

By far, Epic 4g touch wins by a mile.

Initial impressions:
1. Its light as...
Published on September 18, 2011 by ED

2.0 out of 5 stars Purchase At Your Own Risk!
EDIT: As of 1/5/2012 I am now highly recommending this device, providing certain conditions are met, as described in my update below. If you would like to review the issues history, read on; if not, jump down to the 1/15 update

On paper - this phone is amazing. And in many ways it is. The screen is brilliant (and surprisingly manageable given its large size)...
Published on October 19, 2011 by Andrew G

‹ Previous | 16 7 818 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing phone, January 19, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G Android Phone, Black (Sprint) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Initially I went out and got the Droid Bionic and after looking side by side between the Bionic and Galaxy S2, the Galaxy just stood out with a better user interface and performance that I took the Bionic back and got the Galaxy. The only thing I can say that the Galaxy lacks is data speed. The Bionic (4G LTE) absolutely flew with download speeds, the Galaxy fell behind. A droid is a droid was my opinion when I upgraded from the Motorola Droid (original) to the Bionic, but the Galaxy's interface due to its better screen provide a rich, vibrant user interface that I couldn't get enough of. System performance is good, swapping between apps/screens is snappy, lots of bells and whistles make this a solid choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome big screen, excellent battery life, and exceptional call quality, January 6, 2012
For me, this phone has it all. A nice big screen (almost seemed like a mini-tablet at first compared to my previous phone which was a used Droid Incredible), very fast, great battery life, and (drum roll please)... very good call quality. Who would have thought it? A smart phone that actually does a great job at... uh... BEING A PHONE!

Regarding the battery life, I honestly can't believe how much of a charge I still have left at the end of the day on this phone compared to past smart phones I've had. Battery life was a big deal for me and I was worried I'd have to find an "extended life" battery like I usually do. But not with this one! Now, I'm not saying it lasts a week or anything like that. In fact it would only last a couple days on a single charge. But with any other smart phone I've had I often wouldn't even make it through a full day on one charge. I charge the phone every night so I don't really need it to last any longer than that, but with this phone it seems that no matter how much stuff I do on it all day long (with the exception of using the navigator excessively -- no phone handles that well for an extended period of time), it still has well over half its battery life left late at night when I go to charge it.

I replaced my phone's stock home screen with Go Launcher Ex (the best home screen/launcher IMHO) so I don't have much to say about Samsung's home screen, except that both my wife and son still use it and they seem very happy with it. One nice feature of Go Launcher Ex that is relevant to this phone because of its large screen is that you can turn your home screen into a 5x5 grid instead of the default 4x4. I mean you've got that huuuge screen now so you might as well make good use of it, right?

The default keyboard on the Epic 4G Touch is the Swype keyboard. I was concerned about that at first having never used Swype, but my concerns were completely unfounded. First of all, you don't even have to "swipe" if you don't want. You can type on it just like you would on any of the other keyboards, and I usually do since I type much faster (with two thumbs) than I swipe, although I've found that swiping is faster than typing when only using one hand. You will want to tap on Swype's settings key though (the one in the bottom-left corner of the keyboard), then tap on Word suggestion, and enable "auto-correction". Who in the world would not want this to be the default?!! At first I was like "Oh no, this thing doesn't auto-correct?" Then finally I found that setting and all was good with the world again. I mean it is a lot easier to type on this phone because of the larger on-screen keyboard, but it's still an on-screen keyboard so not having auto-correction enabled by default seems kind of dumb to me.

There is just one thing I would caution people about with this phone. That is, it's so large that it might not be for everyone. My daughter, for example, who is only 12, has kind of small hands. This would not be the best phone for her, so she got an iPhone 4S instead. But for anyone else, I HIGHLY recommend this phone. And at Amazon's price, it's a complete STEAL! I bought it for 99.99 (which was already a bargain at 50% of the price of buying it directly from Sprint), but I see it's only 79.99 right now. Wow!!

***EDIT*** I forgot to mention this earlier. The back of the phone is very slick. However, all you need to do is also order the "TPU-Cases High Gloss Black Flexible TPU Case for Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch ***ONLY FOR SPRINT MODEL*** [TPU-Cases Retail Packaging]" from right here at Amazon. It works great! It gives the phone an excellent grip, and it adds a little weight to it as well. That's the other thing is this phone is incredibly light (felt a little too light to me), but this case makes it perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously, buy this phone!, October 29, 2011
This is an excellent device. I bought the first Galaxy when Samsung was just getting started with their awesomeness. I kept it all this time and upgraded to the Epic 4G Touch... best decision!! It is big, bright, light, beautiful, fast, user-friendly (I'm not techy) and the battery life is great. I love this phone. The only con is that I have small hands so it can be difficult to do one hand functions (swipe screen, click icons, etc). But everything else about it is amazing. Complete cosign of the positive reviews below.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have no doubts this phone it great! Simplicity at its best!, October 2, 2011
I did a lot of research on the phone that I wanted to get next because I bought the HTC hero when it first came out and was stuck with it until this one. It was an ok phone, however technology advanced too quickly for it to shine.

I have read review after review on the SGS2 E4GT and I have also watched video comparisons. None of it prepared me for what I got the day that UPS knocked on my door.

PROS:
-BATTERY LIFE-
This was a major concern for me coming from the 4 hour life HERO. This phone gives me 12 hours EASY!!! I do keep my 4G and GPS off all day, however that is it. I pretty much roam all day because I work in the radiology dept of a hospital. In and out of OR keeps the phone roaming. When I remember I put it in airplane mode. But if I dont NO PROBLEM battery to spare. Oh also, I changed my backgrounds to black (wall paper and lockscreen)

-SPEED and LAG FACTOR-
The phone is VERY VERY responsive with no lag factor at all. To make sure this stays that way, I reboot my phone daily just in case. Sprint has coverage issues now and then but that has nothing to do with the phone. I have heard ppl mention the lag in the lockscreen. Initially I complained too however then I learned how to actually unlock it. It is actually a side to side or corner to corner swype. Not a middle of the screen to side swype. Once you figure that out... no problem.

-SPACE/STORAGE-
I have downloaded a TON of apps (just counted 55) and I have not even dented the device memory 2GB. This is big for me bcause with the HERO I only could download like 20 apps. On the flip side, it still kinda sucks that the whole 16GB cannot be used for this whole purpose but...eh.

Let me address the plastic feel everyone is complaining about.
First thing GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!!! This phone has the largest battery in a cell phone to date and is one of the lightest in weight. How can you complain about that??????? The back cover is not metal its plastic SO WHAT. The phone still has a nice weight to it!!! Put a case on it and WHALA!!! GEEZ these ppl!

Oh I love the screen BTW. It is not finger print prone, very smooth!

-CHARGE TIME-
It takes roughly two hours for a fully charged battery with no usage.

-SPEAKER-
Very loud.

-VIDEO QUALITY-
Very good...sound quality not so great. acceptable tho.

CONS:
The major con that I am having right now it the shutter sound on the camera. Apparently it is illegal in S Korea to take a pic w/o someone knowing or something to that nature.... WELL ITS NOT IN USA so update PLEASE!!! lol UPDATE: Still not fixed with the new update:(

One thing that does kinda bother me is that in the applications you can scroll thru them like a carousel and you cannot on the home screen... its like they forgot about that one. Seriously not a big deal tho. UPDATE: No longer a con. I downloaded something to fix this.

Update: NEW CON. I cannot take a screen print of a video. The pics come out black... I have tried several times. PLEEASE fix. Major downfall.

All in all I love my new phone and I am VERY happy with my purchase although it took over two weeks to get here due to high demand... But it was worth it, Amazon has great pricing and great customer service. I would do it all over again.

Signed
Happy customer

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what is "super" about super phones!, December 16, 2011
I upgraded to this phone from my EVO 4g after I noticed that the battery life in my EVO was dying much faster than usual. Did I go into the store knowing I wanted an Epic Touch? No, I went into the store wanting the best phone Sprint had to offer at the time and it just so happened to be the Epic Touch. I am not going to go through the specs sheet with you guys/gals because you can just read that in the product description. This review will be based on my day to day usage.

HARDWARE:
The first thing you will notice is the massive Gorilla glass covered screen that is gorgeous, Samsung is calling this screen tech Super AMOLED Plus. Coming from an Epic 4g and a Nexus S 4g (which both have Super AMOLED screens), you can tell that the resolution in this screen is much better. The Sprint version opted for the 4.5 inch screen as appose to the GSM versions which sport slightly smaller screens. Even though the screen restate is bigger, Samsung did a good job of not increasing the width of the phone. When compared side to side, the Epic Touch's width is equal to my EVO 4g. With that said, the Epic Touch is noticeably taller. This makes the experience of holding the phone comfortable; however, usage will vary because there will be icons at the top of the screen that are hard to reach during one handed use.

The phone is made primarily of plastic, although the built quality is very good, it is plastic non-the-less. The rim around the phone is a black piano finished plastic that gives the phone a very sophisticated look but it does add to the slipperiness factor of the phone. I often experienced the phone slipping out of my hands when I grab the phone on its sides (like picking it up from a table top) but if I grab the phone from the textured battery cover (like pulling it out of a jacket pocket) then I noticed a much better grip. Because the phone is so thin and wide, holding it in your hands feels awkward at times, as if its not really resting in your hands which gives you the feeling that it can slip out of your grip at anytime

Despite some of the draw backs, I must say that Samsung did an exceptional job with the design and built quality of this phone. I have no problems with the hardware buttons being too flushed or too pronounced. The screen is superb with no dead pixels, my only gripe (if you can call it that) is that the colors are tooooo saturated. Light skinned people appear to have bright pink skin, light brown appears like dark brown, and whites tend to have a pinkish hue to it (UPDATE: I exchanged my first Epic Touch for another one because of some screen responsiveness issues and noticed that the colors on this second phone is much better, still very bright and vivid but not over saturated like the first one). To truly appreciate the Super AMOLED Plus screen, you need to watch a Pixar movie on this phone and witness how gorgeous the screen is.

SOFTWARE:
The Epic Touch is running on Android version 2.3.6 with TouchWiz 4.0 overlay (Only the European versions have been confirmed to get ICS as of this writing). I have read reviews where people are praising the dual-core processor and saying that their is absolutely no lag in this phone at all. However, I must disagree with that claim. Although the phone is blazing fast, there are moments of slight lag when you over load the phone with running apps or a heavy app. I have noticed on many occasions where the transition animations will lag when you go from app to app. I am not complaining about the lag because it is very minor, but I thought its only fair to tell it like it is.

Samsung's TouchWiz interface has improved a lot over the years. I remember hating it on the Epic 4g but am loving it on the Epic Touch. I might even go as far as to say HTC's Sense interface has some serious competition here. Samsung did a good job of giving you useful widgets such as the calendar, weather, etc. They also added some small effects that really give the interface a premium feels. For example, when you press and hold the home screen to add widgets, the home screen will shrink while a menu pops up from the bottom. This is a big departure from the ugly "what do you want to do" menu that pops up in the middle of the screen on other android devices.

Samsung also included a lot of useful apps such as Kies air (which allows you to sync your phone with your PC and interact with it from your pc, you can receive and reply to txt messages all from your pc), AllShare (which allows you to project your phone screen to a TV screen to view movies or photos), Video App (yes, there is actually a video app here to help organize your videos, no more going into the gallery and randomly picking movies with no titles). The video app goes a long way in helping you enjoy the built in 16gb of memory (with a micro SD slot that takes up to 32gb).

What do I love most about this phone? The battery life! For a phone with such a large and bright screen, the Epic Touch's battery life is extremely good. I usually work about 12-14 hrs a day and my EVO 4g is usually dead long before I get off of work. This is not the case with the Epic Touch, after a full work day with heavy txt usage and some data usage (4 PUSH email accounts and blogging), I usually go home with approximately 50% battery life still remaining. AMAZING!

One software downside I have noticed is that some of the apps in the market was not programmed to run at the Epic Touch's resolution, so they appear a little blurry. I've only noticed this in less than a hand full of games so not much of a drawback. One of the biggest gripes I have with the phone is the cellular reception, its just terrible. This is something I've noticed in all of my Samsung phones (Epic 4g and Nexus S). The signal on my phone usually hovers around 1-2 bars most of the time. Even in places where I usually get full bars on my EVO 4g, the Epic Touch can only manage 1-2 bars. (UPDATE: Sprint released a software update a few days ago to address this very problem but sadly it didn't do much for me. I still have very poor signal strength)

UPDATE: I have been using this phone for months now and one extremely annoying bug I have noticed is the inability to send picture messages. Whenever I try to send a picture message the status is stuck on "sending" and the picture is never sent. There is also a problem with receiving picture messages if you have the auto download feature turned on, a simple fix for that is to turn that setting off. However, after wasting many hours on the phone with Sprint to resolve the sending problem I was finally able to find a solution by downloading "GO SMS Pro". Whenever I want to send a picture message I have to use GO SMS Pro, I know its not the perfect fix but its better than wasting more time with Sprint's incompetent tech support.

FINAL VERDICT:
When I reviewed the EVO 4g, I gave it 5 stars despite all of it's draw backs because it still managed to do everything I needed it to do. If it wasn't for the bad battery life (which declines over time with every phone), I would probably still use my EVO 4g. As for the Epic Touch, I feel that it improves on every aspect of a super phone that the EVO 4g first set out to achieve. I would give this phone 6 stars if I could but sadly I am restricted to a 5 star rating system...=)

The "super" of super phones: 5/5 stars!

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the phone, hate Sprint, December 1, 2011
Absolutely love my new phone. However, got it from Amazon and plan stated that Amazon waves the activation fee (which they did) and that my plan with premium data would be 79.99. Now that was comparable to my T-Mobile and so I figured that my taxes and surcharges would be about the same and my monthly bill would be about $85.00... then I get the bill and am shocked at 97.00 and that's not even including the device protection plan which I was suppose to be signed up for but they didn't.

I called them thinking it must be a mistake or error on their part and much to my dismay find out that besides having less service area (I knew that when I joined with Sprint) I am now paying as much as if I would have joined Verizon or At&t.

So, since I got the phone for a penny on Black Friday, I am debating on whether to pay the $300 cancellation fee (still less than the cost of the phone) and switch back to T-mobile. Since I already own the phone I can get on their discounted plan of 59.99/mo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sprint scores a win with Samsung Epic 4G Touch, October 8, 2011
The Samsung Epic 4G Touch for Sprint is one of the best phones currently available on the market. It has a beautiful 4.52-inch Super AMOLED Plus display (really need to see this in person to appreciate it) and an impressive 1.2GHz dual-core processor (benchmarks off the charts). Also has an 8 megapixel rear camera and front-facing camera for video chat.

Beautiful! [...]

Pros:
- large display with great color
- thinner than expected (9.59mm)
- lighter than expected (4.5oz)
- large capacity battery (1800mAh)
- 8 megapixel camera with 1080p video recording
- 1.2GHz dual-core processor

Cons:
- 4G Wimax instead of 4G LTE
- WVGA resolution, it's slightly less than qHD and 720p HD is coming soon

1.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, horrible wireless and customer service from Sprint, March 12, 2012
TwinPeaker (San Francisco CA) - See all my reviews
I bought this phone for my wife with the Sprint service. The phone worked great but Sprint's service sucks. The wireless service is advertised as 4G but never works as fast as Verizon here in San Francisco.

Customer service from Sprint is absolutely horrible. I bought an iPhone from the Apple store for the Sprint service and returned it as it is - sealed in the box - a day later. On the day of return, I called Sprint to let them know that I had returned the phone. I was assured by the rep that the return will be processed and appropriate credits shown in the next couple of weeks.

After couple of weeks, they start charging me for the returned phone. I call in again and issued credits for wrongly charged service (thereby Sprint acknowledged that phone line was non-existent). Again, assured that issue would be fixed.

Happens again the month after - I am charged for the phantom phone - I am calling it iPhantom now :) Call in again and now the rep transfers me to someone in Accounting who reluctantly removes the charges but resists when I ask him to remove a special app charge related to the phantom line. When I ask how can a non-existent phone download an app, the guy tells me he will remove the charge as a favour. Nice! And, he agrees to terminate the phantom line.

Next month, they charge me ETF for terminating the phantom line and returning iPhantom. Call in again. Rep says ETF charged because line was terminated two months after activation. When I tell her the whole story, she transfers back and forth a dozen times and I am finally in hands of some higher power in Sprint. The power that be, wants proof of return of the phone. I give her receipt and return receipt numbers. Then she wants to talk to the Apple Store where I bought and returned the phone. After a long wait, we are in conferences with the Apple store. The Apple store employee verifies all the receipts and confirms that the phone has been returned. The power that be at Sprint is satisfied and agrees to reverse the ETF charge and issues me a credit code. I think, finally, all my struggles have paid off.

What did I know? A month later, the charges stand as is. I call in again and am told that Corporate refused the credit code. So very nice of them to not call and tell me that. More escalations and I am told I need to go to the Apple store to resolve the issue. I ask why wasn't I told this on the previous 100 calls? No answer. Just an apology. Ok, I go to the Apple Store. The Apple store employee listens to the whole story and told me it will take a week to resolve the issue. And resolve it, they did. The ETF goes away.

Disgusted by the whole experience and Sprint's useless 3g/4G service in SF, I quit the service when they made changes to the family plan in January' 2012. I call customer service and they transfer me first to their manager and then Account services. I am told that since I am opting out of the plan changes, I will not be charged ETF. I jump with joy and say I want out.

You know how this ends. A month later, they charge me ETF for two phones. And on and on it goes. I feel like the Energizer bunny now.

If you go to a Sprint store to have account issues fixed - they walk you to a phone in the store, dial customer service number and hand you the phone. LOL!

In comparison, when we walked into the Verizon store for claiming Corporate discount, the rep and his manager helped us with all the account issues.

So great phone but stay away from the service.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crippled by firmware bugs, February 1, 2012
Update after repair #2: GPS gradually failed after being repaired by Samsung. I sent it in for repairs a second time and it came back with only a software update. GPS now only marginally works - very long lock times and even a single tree causes it to lose lock.

Overall I've found that Sprint's service never works when I need it. I keep getting errors about my Sprint username and password while in the Sierra mountain range and I had no data services for the weekend. Sprint support later told me that this is normal and the fix is to manually update the PRL while on Sprint's network. In other words: drive for hours into a Sprint network, update the PRL, and drive for hours to get back. The PRL can not be updated by any other means. The phone has no data services at Disneyland. The phone had no data services when I tried to find a restaurant during SF's Fleet Week. The phone had no data services when I was last in downtown San Jose. The phone had no data services when I was in an urban residential area last night. Go to any outdoor event and this phone is the only one in the crowd that's dead. It shows a strong 3G or 4G signal but it becomes hot, runs the battery dead, and says you're not connected to the Internet.

Skip it.

-------

Update after repair #1:
Samsung replaced an unspecified component under warranty and GPS now usually works (sometimes needs a reboot). Battery life is significantly worse! I have WiFi on, IMAP email checks every 15 minutes, and weather updates every 3 hours. Everything else is off and no other user processes are running. At best it may run for 22 hours without being used or moved. It still tends to randomly heat up and run the battery dead with no interaction. This isn't a phone to rely on.

The Sprint forums are still buzzing with complaints about GPS, poor reception, short battery life, and audio crashing.

-------

I loved this phone when I first got it - Fast, light weight, slim, great camera, and a big screen. You can check off all the boxes on your list of cool hardware to have. Unfortunately, it doesn't work well enough to be practical. I've sent it back to Samsung under warranty even though I'll probably get back a phone equally defective.

Live voice quality is usually serviceable but there are still cases where I need a landline. Sprint's voicemail is completely unintelligible; a babbling robot. I wish I could disable voicemail so people wouldn't waste their time leaving me a message that I can't understand. Downloading the voicemail to a desktop computer doesn't help.

GPS does not work on many phones. You may have seen demonstrations where the phone instantly gets a GPS lock, or even works inside a building. Those demonstrations use cell tower assistance. GPS can be inaccurate by miles in rural areas and completely incapable of maintaining a lock in weak service areas. If you do use cell tower assistance, you must consent to Google continuously collecting information.

The phone randomly gets hot from stuck processes and runs the battery dead. I'm seeing this problem mostly when I'm in an area with marginal cell service. Speculation is that this happens when WiFi tries to go to sleep, but I don't always have it on. Going hiking or driving in remote areas pretty much guarantees a dead battery by evening. The only workaround is to keep the phone off or reboot it regularly.

Multi-channel sound crashes due to a firmware or hardware defect. Check any game website about compatibility with this phone - you must turn off the sound or the game will crash.

The "LOS" (Loss Of Signal) issue. Certain conditions will cause the cell radio to stop working. The reception bars will be replaced with ř and the phone will need to be rebooted. There's no alert for this happening so you're missing calls.

SPRINT DOES NOT PROVIDE WARRANTY SERVICE. You have a 30 day trial period. After that, all warranty repairs require sending the phone to Samsung. Samsung's web site is dysfunctional so hopefully you have a landline to call them. Total turnaround time is estimated at two weeks.

In conclusion, you'll get hit by firmware bugs, Sprint will keep resetting your phone until 30 days pass, you'll send your phone to Samsung for two weeks, get back a phone with the same bugs, and repeat until you figure out how to get a refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, September 18, 2011
This phone is great quality and has a fantastic screen. It is crazy fast and is by far the fastest US phone available to date.

Also, this review is created to offset the 1 star review from the idiot who said he bought it in July when the phone came out 2 days ago...

‹ Previous | 16 7 818 | Next ›