on December 29, 2012
My last phone was a Samsung Focus which was Windows based and had great reviews and I loved it. Only draw back is if you like a lot of apps you didn't have a lot to choose from. This time around I thought I'd try an android model. This phone was released in Nov. 2012 and had great reviews on AT&T site. Decided to order the Samsung Galaxy Express since it was a penny on Amazon (exactly what I paid for Samsung Focus phone 2 years ago on Amazon). Have used the device help app whenever I'm not sure how to do something. I'm still discovering what all this phone can do and so far am loving it. I've recommended both this site and this phone to a friend who is looking for a new phone. Also, I didn't have to go buy new plug adapters to charge phone just because I switched from Samsung Focus to Samsung Galaxy Express. The ones I used for Samsung Focus fit this phone. I had asked about that when I looked at the phone at an AT&T store. Why buy from Apple who changes charge plug sizes with a new release if you can buy a great Samsung phone and not have to buy new accessories except for a new case maybe?
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is my first Android phone and I really like the versatility. Compared to a previous Windows Phone 7 (also a Samsung), the Galaxy Express is so much better. The world of available apps and the ease of expanding the memory (I added a 16gb card - so easy) are truly a delight after my Windows/Zune experience. For my use, it also stacks up nicely against my husbands Galaxy S3. The best points:

- Light and thin (just a bit smaller and lighter than a Galaxy S3)
- Mini USB charging - no special plug
- Expandable memory using a MicroSD card
- Very affordable with new contract (mine was a penny)
- More talk time than the S3
- The screen is beautiful and responsive

Mostly what you give up verses the S3 is some camera resolution (5mp vs. 8 mp on the front camera), a little screen size, RAM (1gb vs. 2gb), and an HD display. There are some other smaller differences as well but for the most part they are hardly noticeable if you are not an extreme power user. Overall, I am very happy with the phone.
on May 18, 2013
I'm not terribly picky about phones, and I'm definitely not an advanced user--I usually just get whatever is free or nearly free with my new contract every two years. I resisted getting a smartphone in the past, in part because I just didn't think I needed it, and in part because I see my friends having to charge their smartphones with truly ridiculous frequency. (The point of a mobile phone is that you're supposed to be mobile, not attached to the wall half the time.) I'm finally breaking down.

The biggest factor for me in choosing this phone over others was the battery life. It definitely delivers there. It's kind of amazing how long I can go without charging it--like, multiple days, even when I'm using it a lot. The call quality is excellent, the touchscreen works great, and the camera is decent (you could definitely find a phone with a better camera, but this one is perfectly respectable and serves my purposes just fine.) I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is very intuitive for new users as well. I was seriously considering getting an old lady smartphone (with pill reminders!) just to ensure I could actually figure out how to use it. But this was VERY easy to learn--so intuitive I didn't even have to read the manual to get going. (And for me, that is amazing.)

My only complaint is with the alarm it comes with--all the options are really sweet, pleasant, waking-up-in-the-rainforest sounds. I basically need a foghorn/fire alarm to force me out of bed, but there's no foghorn/ fire alarm option built in. I'll probably end up downloading another one--not a huge deal. Otherwise, I'm thrilled with my purchase. Highly recommended, even for technophobes.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 20, 2013
This is a fantastic phone for multiple reasons.

HERE ARE THE PROS:
-Ease of use: The main thing I love the most about this phone is the ease of use. I have owned several other phones in the past (a mix between other Smartphones and basic messaging phones). This phone is by far the easiest to use.
-Touch screen is great! Unlike other phones I have had in the past, this one actually understands where my fingers are and therefore is very accurate. If I press A, the phone selects A. If I slide to the left, my phone slides to the left. I can't say the same for other phones in the past!
-Call Quality is great on this phone. I spoke to someone for nearly an hour and the connection remained strong thoughout the entire conversation.
-Texting is extremely easy, especially with the "Swype" feature. You can either type your words the usual way by tapping each letter. Or, with Swype, you can simply slide your thumb from letter to letter to create each word using a single motion. You lift your thumb once the word has been finished. Most of the time the phone knows what I am trying to say and therefore no changes need to be made. However, certain words do require me to manually go in and fix them. Again, a majority of the time my phone gets it right. Texting is MUCH faster thanks to this feature! I love Swype!
-8GB of internal memory (5GB user available). Also, like most cell phones, it has a Micro SD card slot to add additional space.
-4G Network
-Accepts Micro SIM card ... If you are switching your SIM card into this phone and it is not the right size, then your carrier can give you the right size or you can use a SIM cutter (what I used) to turn your Standard SIM into a Micro SIM. Or, if you have a Nano SIM card, then you can use an adapter to enlarge it into a Micro SIM.
-Display is very pleasing to the eye: 480x800 pixels, 4.5 inch screen
-Has 3.5mm headphone jack, which I LOVE. It is such a pain when other phones only offer a usb headphone jack because then you have to be careful when choosing the right headphones. This phone, thankfully, keeps it simple by using a standard headphone jack.
-Camera is great. 2592x1944 pixels. From what I have read, it is not the greatest camera when compared to higher priced cell phones, but it is still amazing to me. Very crisp and clear photos. The auto focus is outstanding. This cell phone camera has replaced my digital camera because the quality is just that good!
-Battery is very good on this phone. I made sure to keep track before writing this review. I managed to get a total of 40 hours after fully charging it the other night before my phone alerted me to plug it in (the battery icon was in the red by the end of the 40 hours). Within the 40 hours, I spoke on the phone for about 30 minutes, as well as texted quite a bit and used the internet.
-Alarm system is good. It allows you to set up more than one alarm and allows you to customize it to your liking. You can choose an interval (anywhere from 3 mins to 30 mins) and a repeat option (anywhere from 1 to 10 times).
-If you are like me and enjoy listening to music on your phone, it is quite easy. I originally had all my music located on my PC. It was very easy to plug my phone into my PC vis USB port and drag the songs into the phone. Not only can you listen to music, but you can use this to personalize your own ringtones and/or alarm tunes.

As for cons, I honestly have nothing bad to say about this phone! It is such a great phone and I am very pleased with my purchase! This phone will stay with me for a long time. I am definitely a Samsung Galaxy fan!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 14, 2013
I have always had Samsung phones and this is the first one that I've hated. The last phone I had was a Galaxy Exhilarate and I loved that phone.. I had it for a year and a half but it wouldn't charge (probably because I dropped it) and this is the replacement they sent. This phone is so slow.. it comes pre-loaded with so many apps and you can't delete them. It takes so long to do a simple task. And the thing that aggravates me the most is apps will just stop working in the middle of using them. I listen to music on my phone a lot and it will just stop in the middle of a song. Constantly freezing up. I can't wait to get rid of this phone.
on June 16, 2013
I traded in my iphone for this... phone. I have had an android phone before and loved it. this one...? horrible. from day one I had problems with it. it would shut itself off in mid conversation. it would be random so not able to reproduce it for AT&T. however its done it several times. sometimes the phone works as expected, others, there is a huge lag when asking it to do the simplest of tasks, like unlock. sometimes you can actually count 20 seconds while its thinking about unlocking and giving you a home screen. its inconsistent, slow (at times), texting is a nightmare with texts often coming through hours or even a full day late. pictures? for get it. most pictures come and the phone acts like its a video. the only way to zoom in on the photo is to download it, save it, then go to the picture and look at it.
AT&T was no help. I am stuck with this phone until I can upgrade. I am counting the days til I can get rid of it. absolutely the worst phone I have ever owned
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 17, 2013
Verified Purchase
From what I've seen from reviews and what people are saying about it seems like a great phone. Samsung has some of the best products and it makes it a convenient buy for people who don't want to pay an arm and a leg on the iPhone

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations