5.0 out of 5 stars Just Right!
Published on February 5, 2012 by superdogmom

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love it.... I ended up selling it.
I am a gadget junkie and I have owned many different products. I am by no means an Apple junkie but do believe they have very solid and beautiful (and over priced) merchandise. When I purchased my first gen iPad I couldn't wait to open the box and start playing with it. I quickly found it was pretty much a large copy of my iPhone. Within a few hours I had figured out its...
Published on March 9, 2012 by L. Breda

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Right!, February 5, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy GT-P7310MVGR (8.9-Inch Screen) 32GB Tablet - Metallic Gray (Personal Computers)
I've felt sort of like Goldilocks in my quest for the perfect android tablet. First I bought the Galaxy Tab 10.1 (from amazon) which I loved but it was large. Then I bought the Kindle Fire which was too small. Then I found the Galaxy Tab 8.9 which is just right! I did have some serious issues with the 10.1 when Samsung pushed 3.2 in late November and mine bricked. Of course, this had to happen while I was out of the country. Was able to get wifi back, but not bluetooth and autorotate. When I got home, sent it back to Samsung. BTW, their first-tier customer service was/is totally clueless. I knew more about the Tab than the rep. Second-tier was fine, however. While the 10.1 was gone, I ordered a Kindle Fire. It was lots of fun but small, kind of clunky, and a bit limiting in what it could do. Sent it back. When the replacement 10.1 arrived, I sold it on ebay and bought the 8.9 at Best Buy. Couldn't be happier. Perfect size - small enough to fit in my handbag, but large enough to type on. Very easy to hold. Bought a couple of handy little adapters on ebay which allow you to charge it with a micro USB, same as my phone. I totally recommend Samsung tablets, especially the 8.9!

4.0 out of 5 stars Loving it!, December 29, 2011
As an avid iphone lover (I have a 4S), thought I would give Android a try for my tablet. Love the small, light form factor on this - makes my wife's ipad look like a bit of a clunker!

High-res screen is great as well, plenty of room to type, read, watch videos, etc. Occasionally the slightest of lag when using it, most of the time as snappy an ipad.

Overall I'd buy this again. I've had it for two days now, becoming proficient, comfortable using it. Definitely spent more time setting this up the way I wanted it than I would an Ipad - but enjoy having the widgets and customization.

In short, love my iphone for quick handy tasks on the go, but prefer this for sitting on the couch and casual surfing.

Couple of must have apps for all of you new to Android - Dolphin Browser for pad, Newsr, News360, Score Mobile.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little device, February 19, 2012
J. Martinez (California USA) - See all my reviews
I had a hard time deciding between the 10.1 Tab and the 8.9 inch tab. In the end price won me over to the Tab 8.9. I am glad purchased the smaller one. It is not to small and not too big.

On to the review. I work in the computer field so I have access to many different devices. What makes this on unique is the size and weight. It is just so easy to take with me, I find that I am reaching for it more and more over the other laptops, tablets, etc that I can use. I am finding I can do more and more with less. Mostly I use the device for web browsing and checking my e-mail. For that it works perfectly. I use the built in Activesync connector to sync with my work e-mail and calendar. My schedule and e-mail sync automatically when I am in range of a wifi network. The battery life is excellent and I can use it all day without charging it. The built in bluetooth has been nice and so I used that to hook up a bluetooth stereo headset so that I can listen to my music off it without a tether. I can't say it is a good replacement for a laptop, it isn't but I can do most of what I need to off it. I decided it was a good replacement for my netbook which has a limited keyboard and mouse anyway.

Pros: Lightweight, easy to use out of the box and excellent battery life. It uses the Android system which has access to many free applications. This is superior to the very locked down and Flash-less IOS in my opinion. No need to go Apple. The pre-loaded applications are great and you don't need much more but can always go to the Android market and get what you need. The device does multitasking and has nice powerful processor to handle the work comfortably.

Cons: The ad on this page is wrong. This device contains no USB connector. Although it wasn't a big issue for me, Amazon needs to fix the ad. I bought the Samsung connection kit which has a USB connector and SD card connector. There is one connector which you use for syncing or charging and that is it. This may be limiting for some folks. Networking the device with your home network is awkward. This really needs to be improved and kept me from giving it a 5 star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9, January 23, 2012
Our house is split betweeen an Ipad2 user and a Droid geek. I researched lots of tablets before deciding on the Samsung 8.9 for myself and I am so pleased that I purchased two more for my active families with grandkids. I really like being able to access the file structures and manipulate my device. It is important to me to know that I can add, delete or move pictures, music, and documents as I choose. I wanted the flexibility offered by an Android device. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 size is enough smaller and lighter than my husband's Ipad2 that I find it more convenient to put in my bag and hold in one hand. I also highly recommend the Nataal Premium Stylus for all capacitive screens and the rooCase Dual Station Black Leather Case...with Stand and Elastic Hand Strap for the 8.9 Galaxy Tab.

5.0 out of 5 stars Winning!, March 7, 2012
I've had this tablet for over 2 months now and I'm pretty happy with it. As others have mentioned, it came down to the ipad vs. the SG tab.

At first I was pretty upset with Amazon for sending me 2 boxes with broken seals when clearly the bright seals words states "do not accept if seal is broken". Whoever was packaging these when filling the order must not read and/or see clearly. It was a waste of delivery cost (for Amazon) as I promptly returned them (twice, 3rd time was the charm). On the plus side, they would resend them pretty quickly (2-3 days) and they were great and very helpful. After years of order from Amazon, this was the first time I had to return an item. I was very happy with their return policy and quick response to resolve the issue. Thanks Amazon.

I started off with specific priorities: ease of use, speed, memory, battery life and size/weight. I wasn't leaning towards any particular operating system. I just wanted to get the best bang-for-the-buck. I went to several apple stores and spent hours playing with the ipad (my friends would limit me with theirs). I went to Best Buy and spent hours testing out the SG. After much research and reading hundreds of reviews (not exaggerating) I finally settled on the Samsung Galaxy for several reasons: 1) never thought the smaller screen size would have been a factor but it was. I really love this 8+ vs. the 10 in screens. 2) it's very fast. 3) excellent battery life (same as ipad) 4) the weight is awesome (much less then ipad). I'm able to throw it in my bag and hardly feel the extra weight. 5) screen turned out to be an unexpected deciding factor although the ipad is almost as good. 6) price was a deciding factor too at almost $200 less than ipad.

I use my tablet for more reasons than what I originally intended it for. I wanted it primarily to read ebooks, view movies when traveling, browse the internet and check email. I didn't think I'd use it for work purposes but I take it to meetings and take/type notes, had my work email set up as well as work calendar (which I use more than my google calendar) and can schedule upcoming meetings on the spot. I love being able to load it with documents and view them on my tablet at meetings instead of printing hard copies. It's great being able to save paper. I take it to group dinners and share pictures/videos of recent travels or other activities. I also use it for all original reasons I wanted a tablet for. Love reading my ebooks on a screen this size and be able to hold it in my hand/s w/o getting tired of the weight.

The best part is connecting to the internet via my 3G phone. If free WiFi is not available, I set up my bluetooth in 30 seconds and viola! I have internet anywhere, anytime on my tablet. 32GB is satisfactory (wish is could be bigger - movies take up a chunk of memory). Literally comes ready-to-use-out-of-the-box. It's super easy to set it up to your perferences.

This unit is not perfect: no USB connection, but I ordered an adaptor from ebay for $2.37 that works perfectly, it kicks me out of the browser once in a great while and haven't figure out why, no SD slot to increase memory (also got an SD card adaptor from ebay). The positives greatly outnumber the negatives. I'm very happy with my SG8.9.

Update: June 29, 2013
Still a winner. I've since bought an iPad just because I use iTunes a lot and I was getting tired of the 4in screen on my iPod. Unfortunately the SG8.9 is still my favorite and I'm not using my iPad as much but I like both. The problem is the size & weight. I prefer the size & weight of my SG. I also much prefer the Google PlayStore over Apple's AppStore, a much broader and bigger selection... cheaper too. I've had no issues since the system update last year (used to get kicked out of the browser once in a while). I still wish they had made this size with bigger memory (but don't we always want more) but other than that it continues to be a gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rest Assured - You May Ignore The Previous Review, February 17, 2012
This is the most useful and well designed non-iPad tablet available.

1. The price is right.
2. Honeycomb is now at version 3.2 for this device (via painless download) - with Ice Cream Sandwich on the way!
3. Strikingly gorgeous screen.
4. Very fast for an Android device.
5. Perfect form factor.
6. Oodles of onboard memory.
7. The GPS unit works just fine for earth dwellers; whether you are traveling by car, train or bus; hiking, biking, boating, etc.

Hey Steve - It's not an HTC Flyer after all! - pun intended :)

You simply can't go wrong with this device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Tablet for the price and form factor, January 18, 2012
I had this tablet along with the Asus Transformer Prime in my possession during the holidays. Had both of them to play with for about 4-days, and in the end returned the Asus Transformer Prime! Now many folks would question my decision....but let me tell you...the handling, the ease of use and dimensions of the Samsung 8.9, beat any 10" tablet out there.

When it comes to 10" Android tablets, Asus TP is the way to go. But if you are like me...work full time all day long and want to sit and catch up with other email accounts that you do not access at work, watch some video and use the tablet as a remote for Roku -- there is no question that the 8.9" tablet is the way to go. It is just so much more convenient to use than 10" tablets.

While I have not tried playing with 7" tablets for long, my initial impression was that I was compromising on the screen quite a bit. So I am happy with my 8.9" tablet.

The functions are smooth, Samsung has added its own mini-task applications that I have gotten used to now (did not like it initially)...the virtual keyboards are nice and so, I think I made a good decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only the screen is downsized, January 30, 2012
This 8.9" Tab is basically the 10.1", only a little smaller with all of its good and some not so good features. I am not going to go into 'specs' because they are available at Amazon and at Samsung's own site (yes, there's Bluetooth, GPS, Wi-Fi and so forth) but I will discuss my week-long experience of using it.

I am not sure if 8.9" is the sweet spot in tablets but it's good that, unlike a certain rival, Samsung is moving away form the 'one size must fit all' philosophy. I am personally okay with 10.1" but the slightly smaller size may appeal to those who do a lot of on-screen thumb-typing. Also, since the resolution is the same 1280x800 you get a higher pixel density that improves on the 10.1" impressive display.

POSITIVES

- Lighter - Smaller means a couple of ounces lighter. A possible advantage if you're using the Tab as a reader.
- Super-responsive to touch, possibly even more so than the 10.1" Tab.
- Flash 10.2 is not only supported but it comes pre-installed - one thing not to worry about.
- Samsung adds its own mini apps tray. In the end you pick your favorites from the market but some choice is always a positive.
- Size, of course. Anyone who gets the 8.9" picks it for its size so, again, choice.
- Great forward and rear facing cameras, same as the 10.1"
- Dual-core processor handles Honeycomb with ease and, hopefully, makes it a good candidate for a future ICS upgrade.
- You can have the Android market and the Amazon Appstore installed.

NEGATIVES

- Memory can't be expanded due to lack of a microSD port (but 32GB should be sufficient)
- No HDMI port either
- Backside could be a little thicker

RATING

I had the opportunity to use the 8.9" Tab for one week, swapping our recently-upgraded ICS (Android 4) XOOM, mainly because a friend was eager to experience the 'new' Android. In the end, we were both favorably impressed with the other's tablet and agreed that we could live happily with either.

While I understand that the some could miss an HDMI and an SD slot the reality is that my XOOM has them and the only time I actually used them was while testing my tablet. I did not miss them on the Tab during the week I had it for myself. I prefer the 10.1" format myself but I must admit that the crisper display was quite attractive.

In the end, the 'negatives' are not such a big deal. I can say that I loved playing with the smaller Tab for a few days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, serious design flaw, April 18, 2012
This is for the WIFI only model.

The tablet is what it is, it's beautiful, great picture, good performance, very user-friendly, and the Google android market (this week it's called "Google Play" - next week, who knows?) is filled with useful applications. You can also have a kindle application installed on it.

The serious design flaw that is worth a star in the rating: Why oh why, did they decide to not include connectivity with external mobile storage devices, such as USB thumb drives and SD/MicroSD cards? Why do they force customers to buy additional dongles and adapters that may or may not work? Do they consider their users an audience of "press here dummy" - is it truly bassed-ackwards, or is it intentional?

For that kind of money, if the product was already designed not to allow such, it should have come with the adapters and a folio case in the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best tablet, February 4, 2012
As an individual that reads a lot of news, articles, and blogs, it's not an overstatement to say that this is the best tablet out there. The screen is beautiful to look at. Viewing images, videos, and just reading is very pleasing. The only draw back I found is that horizontally the tablet is a a bit laggy. However, as soon as you turn it vertically it's very smooth. I do hope Samsung fixes that little problem soon. Besides that little flaw, the Samsung galaxy 8.9 is the perfect tablet for my purposes. I even tried some games and they look great. Cameras have great definition, and Skype works flawlessly. Most importantly battery lasts really long. I'd recommend this tablet to anyone.

Rate and Discover Movies