Before purchasing this phone, I had the Galaxy Note that was rather bulky and heavy, yet I still wanted a 5 inch screen, but one a sleeker and lighter weight and newer phone. Since I am a true techie, I researched this phone for all specs as soon as it was released on several websites. My goal in this review is to help in your buying decision one way or the other regarding this phone.

PROS:

- SIZE AND WEIGHT: Perfect size considering the fact that it has the 5 inch screen. It fits easily into my smallest purse. And I purchased a leather vertical case that clips to my waistband so I take it with me to the gym to listen to my music or radio when I work out. Because the phone is so light, I carry it easily on my jeans with the pouch/case that I purchased for the phone.

- TWO STANDARD SIZED SIM CARD SLOTS: Good to know as I did not have to cut my Sim cards, I just placed it into the phone and it read my carrier plan and I did not have to set up the APN settings for Internet and MMS as the setup did this for me automatically). This is good to know if you want to use your regular Sim card and not have to deal with settings yourself. What a great feature.

- Screen Resolution - For me personally, I find the resolution GOOD to VERY GOOD, however, it is not as good as say an S4 or S3, but good. However, I have a way to make the screen look GREAT and CLEARER on the home page. What I did is installed the free app ZEDGE and choose a wallpaper that has a dark blue background. The picture I choose has a deep blue sky and mountain in it and the home screen is STUNNING and the white letters on the icons really stand out. And I will say that the screen detail is clear and easy to read and webpages are just stunning on this phone!

- Phone call clarity etc. - No matter what my location using this phone for phone calls the clarity of calls is loud and clear whether on the phone's speaker, headset etc. I even had to turn down the volume quite a lot as the calls come in so well.

- WiFi/3G (Internet): Connects to any WiFi I have tried very quickly and easily and if I am fairly close to the router, the signal strength is excellent. However, when I am a long distance from the router, the signal goes down, however, I still get WiFi and go on the Internet just fine. When not near a WiFi hotspot, I use AT&T for data and easily get 3G and I have gotten 3G+ (there is no 4G in my area). The data is very fast, almost as fast as my home WiFi is.

- Overall speed, performance, smoothness, picture quality of the screen--very fast and peppy. And I found a way to SAVE on both memory and on battery. What I did was to go into Apps/ Manage Apps and DISABLED the apps I don't use. Without rooting the phone, you cannot uninstall pre-installed factory apps, but you can disable them. Disabling the ones you don't use makes the phone run faster and frees more memory! Since I am a techie, I know which ones to disable and which ones not to disable, so if in doubt, please ask me in the comments and I will be glad to assist you in this.

- BATTERY LIFE: This phone has given me the BEST battery life of ANY smartphone or that I ever owned. And I use 100% brightness. For me, even at 100 brightness, if I use WiFi or Data just when I need it and then turn it off, I get all day into the night on one single charge! (I charge nightly and the phone is at 100% ready to go the next morning).

- EXTERNAL SLOT FOR MICRO SD CARD - This helped to sell me on this phone as I can add my personal music, photos, videos and more to this phone!

And I placed a 32g in mine for music, files etc. *Keep in mind where External SD cards are concerned: They are JUST for your personal files: music, videos, photos, and other files. When you install apps from Playstore or other sources, they store either in INTERNAL Memory Card or sometimes in the phone area (most store in the INTERNAL SD AREA). This is the law of the land where Android is concerned and ALL newer Android devices (including Samsung) work this way when storing your downloaded apps are concerned.

- INTERNAL STORAGE SPACE:
This phone is advertised at 8GB of Internal space. The 8GB is the space BEFORE the drive was formatted, OS installed and then factory apps installed. So what I had on the phone BEFORE I installed any apps it had 4 GB left. This is how it is on any flash drive, SD card, Hard Drive as formatting alone takes up space.
Also, since 3.0 Android and above, you cannot save any apps to your personal SD card. Instead the apps are installed one way or the other to the INTERNAL SPACE. However, the good thing is that your personal files as photos, music, videos, and more can be installed to your EXTERNAL SD Card so you do have that space for yourself.
**I have a few apps I downloaded from the Playstore, but no games so I still have about 4.08 GB left on my phone for more apps later should I wish to install them.

- Reading/Creating/Editing Word, Excel, Text Files and much more on this tablet: I downloaded a FREE APP called Kingsoft Office which I use for Office files (it reads, edits and creates Office files). And it also reads PDF eBooks so there is no need to download a separate PDF Reader app. *This is a MUST have if you have to read PDF or Word Docs etc, my docs are crisp and clear using this app.

- CAMERA - The 8MP takes excellent pictures. So I took both indoor and outdoor pictures and even video. Well, I was pleasantly surprised how clear the pictures are. When I printed out some close up and other shots, I was really happy with the detailing in the pictures. Turns out to be a pretty good camera.

- Bluetooth Speed and Performance - The Bluetooth paired quickly with several devices and copied files at a great rate of speed.

- WiFi could be a little stronger. Close to a router it gets 5 bars and very strong signal. When I am far away, one bar. So performed a test using my Tab 3 8.0 and Tab 2 10.1: Of course these gave me stronger signals because these devices are WiFi only and have probably a larger WiFi receiver inside. So I compared it to my S3 Mini and the signal was close, yet the S3 mini did have a little bit stronger signal.

- Adobe Flash is not supported in this phone or ANY ANDROID DEVICE after 4.0 OS. The only way to get flash is to get a archived flash and use a high end browser such as Puffin or Maxthon Browser. So downloading the older archived flash gives the ability to view SOME internet videos, but this is better than no flash at all. Keep in mind this is a problem with ALL brands of Android devices with 4.0 OS and higher it is just after 4.0 Android came out, the NEW and best flash is NOT supported for Android devices. It is what it is...Also, there is a newer Archived Flash out. So ask me in the comments if you need instructions and I will send them to you.

- Very small instruction "manual" provided with the phone, however, I went to the Samsung site and downloaded the full manual and saved it in PDF on my laptop for reading anytime I need it. If you want the link for the manual, let you know in the comments and I will give it to you.

- This phone will NOT accept an OTG (On the go) USB plug for flash drives, mice, etc. This was not a problem for me, I just plug in the USB Cable to copy files to the phone. So no big deal as I use Dropbox to download my photos and files and it is fast and easy.
- International Phone so NO US WARRANTY. Not a problem for me because I have learned over time that if a device is going to fail, it usually does it within the first 30 days. This phone has been great--no problems at all!
- No NFC except on the model of phone. I do not use NFC so I have no problem with that.

Bottom line: Actual stars I rate this phone is 4.5 took off .5 stars because of the WiFi signal not as strong as S3 Mini or my Tablets. Would I buy this phone all over again? Yes I certainly would because for the money, I believe this is the best deal out there dollar for dollar. Will this phone be the best for you? Yes, if you do not expect every bell and whistle feature from this phone like the S3 or S4 models and also you want just the most important features, then I totally recommend this phone!
Hope this review has assisted you and thank you for reading it. Please feel free to ask me any questions in the comment area and I will answer all questions in a very timely manner.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 19, 2013
I had an unlocked Galaxy S4 ($800). Everyone knows all the specs and features of that phone. It took one fall, and it was done.
I got this Galaxy Grand Duos ($350) as a replacement. I didn't know what to expect, but so far, I'm pretty happy with it.

GOOD:
-I didn't use all of the S-features on the S4, but I'm happy MOST of them are on the Grand Duos (I can't seem to get all of them to work, but on the same note, I couldn't get them to work on the S4 either. I use 2 screen mode a lot, and I'm happy it's on the Grand Duos)
-specs say that the screen resolution is not as good as the S4, but I honestly can't tell the difference
-the interface is much like S4 and Note, so it's very easy to use and to get help with (ie screen shots, 2 screens, awake with voice are the same process/commands on all Galaxies).
-call quality is clear and consistent.
-it's bigger than the S4 and smaller than the Note (which is perfect for me!)
-battery life is actually better than it was on the S4 for me (possibly bc of the lower screen resolution)
-it looks great, and I'm in the "Galaxy" club, without any contract/subsidies, and for a fraction of the price of the Note and S4. While I can tell it from the S4 and Note very easily, other people can't (except a Samsung representative noticed every difference instantly)
-it has things the Note and S4 don't have (dual sim for avid travelers, FM radio, minimal bloatware with just the essentials and a few Samsung apps)
-it looks expensive enough that I'm proud to have it out, but it's secretly cheap enough that it's still replaceable if lost/stolen/broken on a trip

BAD:
-the camera is not as good. It takes decent shots, but with 8 MP (vs the 16MP on the S4), you notice that you are missing some detail, especially when you zoom. If the focal point is distant and detailed, it comes out a little muddled. Good quality up close and without zoom, Also, if it has all the nifty camera features like the Note and S4, I haven't found them yet. So far, it just seems to be run-of-the-mill camera options
-if the Grand Duos has 4G, I can't seem to find it
-I don't think it has scroll with eyes or look away pause, but you can scroll with tilt and turn over to pause (I haven't used them yet, but they're there in the settings menu. On a positive note, a lot of those extra features on the S4 and Note are battery drainers anyway)
-fewer awesome accessories available (like docks, magnetic covers, etc)
-it comes with a European plug (my seller tossed in an adapter, and I already had a few anyway. I'm definitely planning on ordering an American OEM Samsung charger)
-the speaker is perfect for making calls; even on a mount in the car, there is no trouble communicating with the mic and speaker. However, when I play music, it's a little quieter that I remember the S4 being.
-Less internal storage space than the S4, the Grand Duos has 4GB internal (I read there would be 8GB, but my phone says 3.94GB internal space). I have a ton of apps (all internal for now), and a few songs and pics (most of my media is on my SD and all of it is backed up to cloud).

Other things to note:
-I thought the earphones jack didn't work, but you really have to push it deep in there until you hear a click.
-both SIM slots are for the standard (large) SIM cards. I used my same mini SIM card from my S4, but taped it in to a SIM adapter ($1 on Amazon, $5 at T-mobile store if you can't wait for shipping). I didn't have it taped, and my phone stopped working one night. The next day, I took it to T-mobile, and she just taped the top. I haven't had any issues since)

Do I recommend this product? --All the time!
Am I happy with this purchase --Absolutely!
Will I get it again? --If I lose this one and the next generation isn't here, then of course I will get this same phone again. Ideally, I would like to keep this phone as my international phone for trips, and get the S5 for the US when it comes out (if the camera is better than the Nokia Lumia 1020)
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
When I decided to purchase this phone, the fact that the screen is five inches is just about right for me. A very generous screen, yet the phone is lightweight and easy to carry around. Since I am a true techie, I researched this phone for all specs as soon as it was released on several websites. My goal in this review is to help in your buying decision one way or the other regarding this phone.

PROS:

- STANDARD SIZED SIM CARD: Good to know as I did not have to cut my Sim card, I just placed it into the phone and it read my carrier plan and I did not have to set up the APN settings for Internet and MMS as the setup did this for me automatically). This is good to know if you want to use your regular Sim card and not have to deal with settings yourself. What a great feature.

- EXTERNAL SLOT FOR MICRO SD CARD (UP TO 64GB SD CARD) - This helped to sell me on this phone as I can add my personal music, photos, videos and more to this phone!

- INTERNAL STORAGE SPACE:

CONS:

- No NFC (Near Field Communication) and also no OTG (On the go with cable adapter to plug USB Flash drive into to copy files). No problem as I use Dropbox to send files I want (pictures).

- WiFi could be a little stronger, yet it connects quickly and I have never been without WiFi as it never failed me. Close to a router it gets 5 bars and very strong signal. When I am far away, one bar. So performed a test using my Tab 3 8.0 and Tab 2 10.1: Of course these gave me stronger signals because these devices are WiFi only and have probably a larger WiFi receiver inside. So I compared it to my S3 Mini and the signal was close, yet the S3 mini did have a little bit stronger signal.

Bottom line: Actual stars I rate this phone is 4.5 took off .5 stars because of the WiFi signal not as strong as my little S3 Mini or my Samsung Tablets. Would I buy this phone all over again? Yes I certainly would because for the money, I believe this is the best deal out there dollar for dollar. Will this phone be a good choice for you? Yes, if you do not expect every bell and whistle feature from this phone like the S3 or S4 models and also you want just the most important features and don't want to spend twice this amount for a fancier phone, then I totally recommend this phone!

on June 5, 2013
The only problem is the information the phone has 8 GBytes of memory - we can only use 4 GBytes - the other 4 GBytes are reserved for system usage. It should be cleared in specs.
Regards
Jair Gabriel
on October 16, 2013
I've had this phone for nearly 2 weeks and I'm glad to say this is an excellent phone overall.

This is not a full product review as many kind owners already have done so. Besides, features are very subjective to the individuals using the product. My review is basically to cover provider/network compatibility, to include mobile data connectivity (speed/capability).

The model I received is labeled as I9082L, from SurgeTelecom. The version also appears on the screen during power-on process. There is a good possibility there are other versions of I9082 in the market. This is because I9082 is manufactured to be a "world" phone, as opposed to be made for a specific mobile carrier, commonly found in the U.S. The "L" suffix, in most cases, represents phone version designated for Latin America which sometimes, includes North/Central/South Americas due to the common frequency spectrum deployed in the Americas.

The first note on provider/network compatibility is that if your current phones you consider replacing carry the name Verizon or Sprint, this phone is -not- for you, unless you are looking to switch mobile provider.

This phone does -not- work with Verizon and Sprint. Not because the unit is defective, it is simply not compatible with Verizon and Sprint networks. And, no expert at Verizon, Sprint or Best Buy is able to make it work for you. The concept of activating the phone will -not- help either because GSM phone does -not- require activation. More importantly, please do -not- rate this phone as 1 star (zero if it were possible) or a give a recommendation of -no buy- for the reason stated.

The above note essentially leaves the rest of us GSM users, or potential GSM users, in the U.S. and other countries, to further consider/evaluate whether this phone fits the bill.

This phone is -not- tied to any carrier, therefore is an unlocked phone that accepts mini SIM card from any GSM provider in the world. GSM providers in the U.S. are AT&T, T-Mobile and other mobile virtual network operators such as Straight Talk and Net10, who resell similar services on/through AT&T and T-Mobile network infrastructures.

The I9082 supports GSM quad-band 850/900/1800/1900MHz which cover just about the entire spectrum 2G/EDGE/GPRS services that include voice service and slow data access. If your primary concern is voice service availability, you are all set with this phone in the U.S., when you jet set around the world or if you live in other countries which is 80% GSM world. And, you can still receive slow data access through 2G/EDGE. WiFi is your other alternative high speed data option when available.

If you are also interested in using your phone as an high speed data device, the evaluation has just become much more complicated. This is where I think the biggest part of the community is always asking when potential buyers want to know if this phone will work. I've read countless reviews/remarks on how disappointing new owners are when they discover voice service is fine but data access speed is not fast.

In the U.S., to get 3G or HSPA-4G, aka WCDMA (not LTE-4G) service, the phone needs to support 850/1900MHz frequency bands. When the product description shows "3G: 900/2100MHz", you will -not- get high speed data service. This is because AT&T and T-Mobile do not operate 3G/HSPA+ on 900/2100MHz spectrum. Yet, sellers can advertise the product as 3G capable without falsely advertise their products. Please note this carefully.

About 18 months ago, T-Mobile launched its new business model of "Bring your own devices" to mostly lure AT&T iPhone users over. To achieve this, T-Mobile reconfigured most of its 3G/4G network to 1900MHz to stay compatible with AT&T signal frequency. This has made it easier for us to switch between AT&T and T-Mobile as long as the phone supports 1900MHz, using an unlocked GSM phone.

Please note that T-Mobile may -not- have 3G/HSPA service on 1900MHz deployed everywhere in the U.S., though the coverage is/has been expanding.

In the latin America, most mobile providers deploy their 3G/HSPA+ on 850/1900MHz, and that is why "L" version will most likely cover the entire the Americas. Some providers in the Americas do use 1700/2100MHz.

In Europe/Asia, most providers deploy 3G/HSPA+ on 900/2100MHz. The best practice is to check with your mobile provider on the appropriate frequency bands before buying. And, contact Amazon/seller to check the bands supported on the devices.

How well does the I9082L play in the confusing 3G/HSPA+ world? Very well indeed. I confirm through the service menu that, the "L" version I received supports all four 3G/HSPA+ bands (850/900/1900/2100MHz) even though the unit is marketed as tri-band 850/1900/2100MHz. Excellent!! The support for HSPA 900MHz on my I9082L may come in handy one of these days.

I've personally tested the unit on both AT&T and T-Mobile networks. The phone shows it can connect to HSPA+ service, as denoted by the "H+" symbol, on both networks.

Phones that support the other tri-band combination of 900/1900/2100MHz can still receive 3G/HSPA service. As long as the phone can match 1900MHz, in the U.S. for instance, 3G service will be available; 1900MHz being the common band for on AT&T and T-Mobile networks. An example of such type of phone is the Samsung S3 Mini which supports HSPA tri-band of 900/1900/2100MHz.

If you phone supports HSPA 850/1900MHz and you are an AT&T subscriber, your high speed data experience is perhaps more stable. This is because your phone will bounce between both frequencies automatically, a good chance of landing on a less saturated band.

Actual 3G/HSPA+ speed always varies from location to location, minute to minute, hour to hour as this is wireless/cellular technology after all. I won't post any of my test results because this review is not about speed test. I'll say, though I'm happy with HSPA service from both AT&T and T-Mobile on this phone.

To recap, here are the points to note:

- GSM phones will -not- work with Verizon, Sprint or any CDMA operators.
Keywords in the product description to look for are "GSM", "unlocked",
"international phone." Such keywords imply you're looking at GSM phones.

* Amazon does have a separate section for phones with service contract which
includes Verizon and Sprint, along with AT&T, if you enjoy shopping on Amazon
like I do.

- With GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz support on the phone will guarantee
compatibility for voice/slow data service anywhere in the GSM world.

- 3G/HSPA data access depends on HSPA bands supported on the phone. Frequency
must match network operated by the specific provider. 3G bands are
850/900/1900/2100MHz.

- Be sure to buy the phone that has the proper frequency support. HSPA quad-
band is the safest choice if available.

- Must match at least 1 of the HSPA frequency to receive 3G/HSPA data service.

- In the U.S., a phone with support for HSPA 1900MHz band will get 3G/HSPA
service on both AT&T and T-Mobile networks.

- Get detail info on supported bands from mobile provider and communicate with
seller to ensure the phone has support for the particular frequency bands.

*** I've used an unlocked AT&T phone (quad-GSM, tri-HSPA) in Europe and Asia on voice and data (2100MHz). And, I own a European Samsung with dual-HSPA band (900/2100MHz)that works fine on voice (AT&T/T-Mobile) with EDGE (2G) data as it lacks 850/1900MHz HSPA bands.

Cheers!!
on June 5, 2013
I'm loving the device. Very fast and convenient the smartphone has amazing features. And it is still very beautiful, thin and light. Worth the money!!!!!!
on June 18, 2013
I love this phone, but wifi calling is a must for me. Dual sim cards rocks but remember if you have Tmobile and have to have wifi calling then you cannot use this phone, the only bad thing for me. SO easy to combine 2 phones into 1.
on August 13, 2013
It worked with a brazillian SIM card without any problems (TIM and Claro)!
It's the best dual chip I've ever used!
on June 23, 2014
I have done business with Amazon for over 10 years and spent some several thousands of dollars with the company. Over that period of time, Amazon's customer service has been first rate. I filed a claim with Amazon on this phone which was sold by BREED and fulfilled by Amazon and am still awaiting the outcome Here is the narrative used in filling the claim: "There was a small blemish on the screen next to the volume switch (upper left corner) upon receipt of this phone. Although the unit was not perfect, nor was it described as an L model, I thought it would work fine, so I ordered a sim card from Net10 and started using the phone. I had used it for 2 days and had it in my left front pants pocket on a drive from Mitchell to Canova, SD (32 miles) on 6-21-2014. I noticed the large crack(s) radiating outward from the upper left side of the screen, when I took it from my pocket after the drive. I contacted the seller and also sent them pictures. Their response was as follows; "I'm sorry but we would not be able to accept this back, the damage is far too great for something to have just happened on its own" So now I have a defective phone and a seller who questions my honesty. As an attorney, who is considered an officer of the court and bound by oath to uphold the law, and as a U.S. Army Reservist Officer, I can assure you that it would take a whole hell of a lot more than a $200 piece of crap phone, before I would jeopardize my integrity. I shall stand ready to provide any additional information that I can in this matter. I would also request that that you review my history with your company, which extends back further than 10 years. Please advise of your response to this matter in a timely fashion. I am . . . Wayne A." E., Esq.
To clarify, the phone sent was a 19082L and not a model 19082 as described. Even though a company other than Amazon sold the phone, I would expect this matter to have a satisfactory outcome, because I have always found Amazon to be a reputable and forthright company
on April 19, 2013
This phone is awesome!!! I would rate it a 5 star, but every once in a while the phone screen just goes black, then I have to reboot, it's happen about 3 times since I got it, but other than that, this phone rocks.