Published 16 months ago by electronicnut

1.0 out of 5 stars False information on listing
The Samsung Epic 4g Touch (Sprint's variant of the Galaxy SII) does not have 4g LTE nor does it have NFC Capabilities. It uses WiMax 4g and as such is very limited to where you will be able to connect to 4g. There is also no NFC possible in this device. Do not buy this expecting any LTE or NFC.
Published 17 months ago by graydiggy

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a good, powerful phone overall and comparable to Samsung Galaxy S3, March 16, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S II, Titanium (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This review is a little late considering that this phone has been out for quite some time now, but I thought I just mention my thoughts since I just got this phone after switching from the Sprint Samsugn Galaxy S3. After a few months of the Samsung Galaxy S3, all the nice features, such as a bigger screen, better processor, bigger processor, and other software features such as S Voice etc; the poor speeds of the Sprint 3G network is what prompted me to change devices.

4G LTE is not in my area yet and Sprint can't give a definite answer of when it might be available. Also the Samsung Galaxy II Touch 4G hardware wise is no slouch either. Since it's an older model, you could probably get this phone with no contract for a much much cheaper price than the Galaxy S3.

I understand the 4G LTE is a big thing, but if you're in an area that doesn't yet have 4G LTE and unsure when it will roll out to your city ... 4G WiMax is still available. Hopefully you have 4G WiMax in your area because the Sprint 3G speeds are horrible. (For me anyway)

I decided that the Galaxy S2 4G Touch would be perfect to hold me through to my next upgrade because of the hardware specs and with the rate Sprint is implementing 4G LTE, WiMax will still be available for some time.

Let's compare the specs of the 2 devices.

Operating System
Galaxy S2: Android 4.0
Galaxy S3: Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)

Battery:
Galaxy S2: 1800 mAh
Galaxy S3: 2100 mAh Lithium Ion Battery

Talk Time:
Galaxy S2: 8.7 Hours
Galaxy S3: Up to 9 Hours

Dimensions
Galaxy S2: 5.1" x 2.7" x 0.38"
Galaxy S3: 5.4" x 2.8" x 0.3"

Display:

Galaxy S3: 4.7 oz

Processor:
Galaxy S2: 1.2 GHz Dual Core, Exynos, 1200 MHz processor
Galaxy S3: 1.5 GHz Dual Core

As you can see, the specs for the Galaxy S2 are similar to the S3. I tend to think of the Galaxy S3 as an upgraded computer system with a little bigger processor and a bigger monitor.

I would've stuck with my Galaxy S3 if it wasn't for the terrible 3G speeds in my area and the lack of information of when 4G LTE will be rolled out. WiMax is available in my area and the speed is 10 times better than 3G.

Usually I need the latest and greatest, but I'm happy with switching back to the Samsung Galaxy S2. It's still comparable to the Galaxy S3 hardware wise and you could always root your phone to Jelly Bean OS if you wanted to. The Galaxy S2 is still a powerful phone that should last a few more years before being dated. Hopefully this review is helpful for the people still thinking about purchasing this phone on the Sprint Network.

Oh and as others pointed out, this phone uses only 4G WiMax and not 4G LTE. I'm unsure why Amazon says it's 4G LTE.

4.0 out of 5 stars galaxys2, October 3, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S II, Titanium (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I really like this phone ,especially for the price of a penny it was a great buy for my self & my husband. Over all it has a great display quality and great when on the internet ,pretty fast and great clarity with photos, but the only down fall is the quality of the video it is very poor and blurry! I also have noticed that the battery recently has been getting very hot and over heats the phone and may once in a blue cut off but again great for the price I paid !!

Nique82

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Phone, July 10, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S II, Titanium (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I bought this on Amazon for $49.99 in February. I absolutely love it. I have had no problems with it. I'm on a Sprint network and often get frustrated roaming, but that's not a Galaxy S II issue, it's just being in a bad service area (small town). I would recommend this phone to anyone interested. It's very functional and the big screen is awesome! I went from a blackberry flip to this new touch screen so it took me awhile to come out of the electronic gate...but for the price I thought what have I got to lose...and so happy I did!! Don't spend $$ hundreds of dollars on the upgraded models that from what I hear don't do a lot more anyway. If you are looking to upgrade, the price is fantastic for the Galaxy SII phone then wait 6 months and no doubt the upgraded models will be at this price too. This is why I waited a year. ridiculous last year to spend $400 on this same phone. Was worried to buy a phone via Amazon but as usual just about everything I buy on here is a solid product. Very happy with this phone.

I honestly didn't like the titanium color, just my personal taste, but the other colors for some reason cost a lot more, and I wasn't going to double the price just for a different color... so I bought a pink hard cover for it...for one it suits my taste perfectly and covers everything but the screen...so it's perfect.. But more importantly I found you will definitely want some type of hard or other protective cover, I've dropped mine a few times and my hard cover saved the phone!! The Galaxy phones are very thin which is convenient but also means they are light ;)

The back of the battery cover was a bit time consuming and frustrating to get off. I logged on line and found other people had same issue...then it was explained how to easily get it off...just wanted to point that out.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW !!!, June 2, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S II, Titanium (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Very cool phone... Performs as advertised! All the bells & whisels work perfectly and are just what I was looking for. The S II is all the phone I need & want. A terrific buy. If you like Android phones, this is a great one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Galaxy S II, July 15, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S II, Titanium (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Love this phone, it's one of the best phones I Have ever own ! I am planing on sticking with the Samsung line........

5.0 out of 5 stars My Galaxy S II, May 3, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S II, Titanium (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I love my new phone! It is what I wanted for a long time and I hope it last me a long time better than my last one. I haven't put it down since I got it. So far it has not given me any problems. I'm always on it and still discovering new things about it. Now they coming out with a 4 hmmmm I didn't want the 3 cause there was really no different from the 2. So by the time I'm done with this one, a 6 may be out hahaha. Thank you Samsung.

5.0 out of 5 stars bought for my husbnd, July 22, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S II, Titanium (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
finally got my husband into the age of smart phones - he needed something for his business that could receive emails, take good pics send pics, etc - this phone checks all the boxes!!

4.0 out of 5 stars I wish Samsung didn't think we need phones so large, July 7, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S II, Titanium (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I don't give a crap about video on my phone, it is less than 1% of my usage. My phone is for communication, text, email, etc., and internet is always helpful and great, of course, but compact is better than a brick. The phone is thin and i like the textured back, rather than the smooth, cheap(er) looking plastic, and that is essentially why i chose this S2 vs the 3 or 4, plus the price. It's nearly the same think as its successors, but the shape, color and size are a bit more conservative, compact and FREE. We pay for these devices 20x over with the ridiculous monthly bills, there was a day when most phone devices were free in exchange for our patronage, and I still believe this should be the case.

5.0 out of 5 stars gr8 phone!, June 5, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S II, Titanium (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Love Samsung since the first galaxy. If I could afford the G4 I would, but this one is gr8! do all kinds of school work right on the phone!

1.0 out of 5 stars False information on listing, March 7, 2013