Samsung Galaxy S II, White (Boost Mobile)
Color Name: WhiteProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 28, 2012
Color Name: WhiteProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
This phone, the Samsung Galaxy S2 4G is obviously not the newest version of this phone available. If you want the very newest and best (The Samsung Galaxy S3), you won't get that on any other budget priced contract free carrier. This phone is, however, very adequate, and by far the best phone ever offered for this low of a total cost of ownership. I highly recommend that you consider this phone, but also look at the Virgin Mobile version of it, because their service is similar but their pricing is more flexible.

I have had six different Android phones on pre-paid carriers, including the HTC EVO 4G, Motorola Triumph, Optimus, etcetera. I bought this phone in November 2012 at Radio Shack, the day that it became available. I still have an HTC Evo 4G in our family, but personally have been using this phone for over a month now, quite heavily.

This Samsung Galaxy S2 4G runs Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), which is currently (at the time of this review) one version behind the newest versions of Android (Jelly Bean 4.1 & 4.2). It has a fast dual core processor, good 8MP camera, is 4G capable, has great battery life, and has overall great performance. Although it has been out for over a year on Sprint, it is not nearly as far behind the mainstream as previous non-contract/prepaid offerings have been.

Size. This phone is more similar in size to the Motorola Triumph than it is to the bulkier HTC EVO V 4G. With a 4.52" AMOLED touch screen and a thin body, it is the most compact phone for the screen size that non-contract/prepaid have ever had available. I really like the form factor. After using it for about a week without a case, I put an Otterbox Defender on it. That case bulks the phone up quite a bit, but it is still comfortable. I like it with or without the case, but got the case because of my clumsiness and lifestyle.

Cases. Since this phone is identical to the one that has been on Sprint for over a year, there are plenty of great cases available for it, including ones from top of the line companies like Otter Box. There are many times more accessories available for it than for previous non-contract/prepaid, except for the HTC Evo V 4G which also had a lot of cases to choose from.

Screen. I love the 4.52" screen size, and this one is even sharper and more vivid than the one on the HTC Evo 4G, which was better than the Motorola Triumph. It is great.

Touch Screen. The touch screen is very responsive, accurate, and precise. By far the best touch screen I've ever used. Even better (or equal to) the one on the Apple Ipod Touch. I use that comparison because I've always felt that the Touch was better than the Android phones I'd had in the past. The HTC Evo V 4G is the same in this regard. Both phones have excellent touch screens.

Keyboard. The touch screen keyboard on this phone is awesome. The touchscreen keyboard on the HTC EVO V 4G was far better than any of the previous non-contract/prepaid offerings, and this one on the Samsung Galaxy S2 is even better.

Battery. The battery life on this phone is incredible because of its increased size and better power management and network management. It lasts 3 times longer than the battery on the Motorola Triumph, and about twice as long as the one on the HTC EVO V 4G. I like that this phone gives you an actual percentage reading for the battery instead of just the imprecise icon.

Network management. This phone is great at making seamless transitions between 3G, 4G, and Wifi, always switching to the best available choice. The HTC Evo V 4G used to give me some problems in this area. The S2 is flawless at this.

Camera. The 8MP camera on this phone is far better than any cell phone I've ever had. I think that it rivals the iPhone and in most conditions can fully replace your compact point and shoot camera. The video camera shoots 1080p video and is also very good.

4G. Having 4G is great, especially since the Sprint 3G network is a little slow sometimes.

Internet Sharing. The ability to share this phone's internet connection is awesome and works really well. It works great on both 3G and especially 4G. It is simple to use, and at $15 a month is a much better value than a Mifi card.

Call Quality. The call quality is great on this phone, and is much better than the Motorola Triumph which sometimes sounded muffled, and slightly better than the HTC EVO V 4G which wasn't bad. It is clear for both you and the person you are talking to.

Bluetooth. The Bluetooth on this phone works great both with a headset and with my car. I love how it seamlessly transitions from my Podcast Application (Doggcatcher), Navigation, and phone calls.

Processor. This phone is snappy and doesn't seem to have any processor induced lag at all. No matter what I run or play, it works the way it is supposed to, even when I'm multi-tasking. The processor seems to be more than adequate.

Durability. This phone is no more or less durable than any of the other plastic smart phones out there. I personally wish that more phones were available with unibody metal housings. I used to wish the same things about laptops and they are finally moving that way. Hopefully more phones will be more durable in the future. Anyway, this phone is adequate in this area.

Reliability. So far, I have had no issues with applications or functions crashing on this phone. It works consistently and flawlessly. I will update this review if I find anything getting hung-up or crashing. I have had the phone since they first released it, and still haven't had any problems. My experience in this area was the same on the HTC EVO V 4G.

If there are any topics that you wanted me to address that I failed to, please let me know in the comments and I will update this review for you.
2121 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 26, 2012
Color Name: WhiteProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
I am a cell phone fanatic. Since January of 2012, the Galaxy SII is my 4th phone. This one, though, I plan to keep a while.

As for looks, if a phone can be sexy, this one is. It is beautifully designed with a slim profile. While it boasts a 4.52 inch amoled display screen, the space is used wisely, and the phone isn't much wider. The size is perfect, not too large, and easy to hold even for a smaller female with average sized hands. The charging port is on the bottom of the phone, completely unobtrusive and out of the way. The volume rocker is easily accessed on the left side of the phone, and the power button is on the right side. Ideally, that would be my only change, and while a lot of people have complimented the placement of the power button, I would rather have it on top, because I find when I hit the power button, I often end up squeezing the phone on both sides, consequently also adjusting the volume. Still, that is a minor issue at best. The camera is located in the middle of the phone, which is excellent. When taking picutres quickly, it is easy to keep my hands/fingers out of the viewfinder with the phone located in the middle.
Speaking of pictures, this 8mp camera takes excellent photos. I have gotten many compliments on the quality of the pics from this phone, so much so, that I now leave my point and shoot at home. The front facing camera, while on the D710 model I have is 2MP, it still isn't wonderful, however for Skype calls and the like, it is a wonderful feature. But quality wise, you won't be setting the world on fire.

In terms of the sound quality for calls, etc, this phone is excellent. Volume for music/movies, etc is very good. Tones for alarms and alerts are loud enough as well. The volume and clarity during calls is also excellent. Voices sound crisp, without distortion or the skips and jumps and small oddities you get with voice calls on cell phones. I understand that for this phone, Samsung abandoned previously used Wolfson chip, which has led a few people to comment on a missed opportunity to improve music sound/depth. However, I am not at all unhappy with how music or movies sound on this phone. I think there is a definite improvement over my previous phones, and music sounds as good as if I was using my ipod.

As far as battery life goes, Smartphones in general suck, but I find that the SGII is better than some others. I am on my phone constantly, and while at home and in the car, it is always plugged in, I don't have many issues with battery drain if I am out and about all day. I have purchased an extended battery for the phone but have not used it yet.

I feel like I am forgetting some key points, but all in all I have to say this is an excellent phone, and the service through Boost Mobile can't be beat. In addition to their call centers, brick and mortar stores are available if you have service issues. The shrinkage program is wonderful and allows me to save money but still have unlimited everything. Boost utilizes Sprint's 4g/3g network, so make sure you have coverage with Sprint prior to purchase. Sprint has improved dramatically over the past decade, and their coverage is actually very good. I haven't experienced any dropped or lost calls.. Not sure if that speaks for the quality of the phone itself, or the service, perhaps both. Either way, I am more than satisfied with the service and the Galaxy SII. If you have any questions, feel free to email me amybethlee70@gmail.com.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Color Name: WhiteProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
Boost Mobile is replacing the Galaxy S II, crippled by the obsolete Wi-Max network, with the more advanced Samsung Galaxy S3, which runs on Sprint's new high speed 4g LTE network. Because the Wi-Max network is shutting down, Boost customers should be looking only at 4G LTE phones, including the LG F7 and HTC SV.

The Samsung Galaxy S II is a great phone. If rated by the quality of its large screen, quality of phone calls, its superior ability to handle basic functions such as texting, email, photos, videos, and music, the S2 is equal or superior to the Apple Iphone 5 and most other premium quality phones. For details on why the S2 is such a great phone, read some of the many "Five Star" Reviews.

Battery life? Many of the "Five Star" and "Four Star" reviews mention poor battery life. That is a direct result of the low quality Wi-Max network. If a phone is getting a strong signal and can download data rapidly, there is a light load on the battery. If a phone is constantly searching for a usable signal and struggles to slowly download data, the load on the battery doubles or triples. A phone that gets eight hours per charge on a weak network would get up to 16 hours or 24 hours per charge on a strong network.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 4, 2012
Color Name: WhiteProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
This phone is amazing and it performs flawlessly, it has all the bell & whistles that I like without the torture of a contract, it's probably not the very latest model, but its close to the latest technology. Also Boost Mobile is one of the easiest activation process that I ever experienced, just follow the instructions provided and viola in less that 5 min you're ready to go. I personally suggest the 5$ insurance, it will save you lots of headache. The phone is 4.6 ounces lightweight (compare to HTC EVO) big screen 4.5in Super AMOLED, 1.2 GHz dual core processor, 1GB of RAM, 8 mp cam with flash, 1080p HD video recording, really!! Wow!, 2 mp front cam, 1800 mah battery, 16GB internal storage, removable storage up to 32GB, gorgeous white color. Make sure you charge the battery very well before a heavy usage.

UPDATE: 10.8.12 Boost Apps are buggy, just uninstall them or disable them.
2525 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Color Name: WhiteProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
Sure the newer galaxy 3 has a few improvements and a faster processor at $250 more. The Galaxy Note 2 has an inch larger screen, faster processor, a pen and about $300 more unlocked. In reality, they are both basically the same phone as this. Samsung has had a year to iron the bugs out on this model and it shows. This phone is SMOOTH AS SILK. And unlike HTC, Samsung doesn't load the phone to the gills with unremovable crapware. Samsung and Boost still put some crapware of their own, but it is not as overwheming or as numerous as what was on my HTC Design 4G. Another tempting unlocked phone is the Nexus 4, which is sexy as hell, and only $300 and a 2 month wait today. But consider this. Reality check - "no removable battery" is a death wish for an android phone (it will eventually freeze and you will be up the creek.) Add to that a fragile breakable glass back and no SD card slot = buy the expandable Samsung in my book. Take my word for it - this is the phone you want today and will still be happy with a year from now. Fast. Beautiful BIG screen. Made the HTC Design screen look tiny by comparison. Clear talk at both ends. It works GREAT as a phone - many of these smartphones are great at web and other stuff but SUCK as phones. Incredibly excellent camera with phenominally useful software for taking photos. And it focuses and takes shots very quickly, so you will actually use it. The only cameras I have seen better than this is the camera in the iPhone 4S and 5. They are a tiny bit better. XLNT Hotspot function. Yes, like all smartphones today, it is fragile but that is easy to fix. Want it bulletproof? Order an Otterbox Defender case (I do) and you can throw your phone across the room without hurting it. Been wth Boost 4 years now - the customer service is no better or worse than the expensive guys, but Sprint (which is Boost) has great coverage here around Eugene OR and most of the Western states where I live and travel.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 7, 2012
Color Name: WhiteProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I love my S11. Big screen,light weight and no contract. Save me alot of money. Didn't jump on the iphone band wagon because its all about name(Apple). If you are all about saving money then get this phone.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 29, 2012
Color Name: WhiteProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
So far I really like this phone.... I got tried of paying AT&T so much money every month. As a former Iphone user I think this is comparable or even better than the Iphone 4. Its very fast and where I live the boost coverage has been pretty good. I think the best feature of this phone is the screen it beautiful. I also like the ability to add a 32GB Micro SD card. You can put movies and music right on the card and the phone will play them. I hated I Tunes it was just a pain to use. I would have given this phone a 5 stars, but the only down fall is the battery life is horrible. I know most smart phone are horrible but this is way worse than my iphone was as far as battery life. I'm looking into purchasing options for another battery. If I can figure out a way to increase the battery life....this would be a 5 star phone. Overall boost mobile is saving me about 40 dollars a month right now... but after the 18 months i will be saving $55 dollars a month. I had cingular and then AT&T I finally broke down to pay the price of this phone to save from a greedy AT&T company! So far after a couple of weeks im glad I did....
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 12, 2012
Color Name: WhiteProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
This phone is awesome. No...it isn't the absolute best and most powerful phone on the market. But it's close enough for the deal you get with Boost. This IS a top tier phone. And yes, it has unlimited everything. With Boost's $55/mo. plan that you can shrink to $40/mo....you can't go wrong. (I am grandfathered into the $35/mo.) Where else can you get a high-end, current smartphone with sooooo many bells on 4g with unlimited everything for soo little with no contract? The answer....no-where. People need to quit whining that this phone is better or that phone is better. I've had Boost for a long time and their call quality and reliability is better than some of the major carriers. I have dreamed of being able to get a phone like this native on a Boost account, but figured it would never happen for what I pay monthly. Well, they did it. I love it. It's awesome...plain and simple.

*edit*
Since Boosts decision to put a data cap on their "Unlimited" data, I have since jumped ship and changed carriers. No point in having a second class carrier if the deal isn't exceptional. Thanks for the years of good times, but looks like the luster is starting to fade from the shine that was Boost.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 6, 2012
Color Name: WhiteProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
This is the best phone I've owned on Boost. Screen is big, phone weight is extremely light. I had a smaller phone before this and that phone weighs more than the GS2. Best phone on Boost Mobile!
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 2, 2012
Color Name: WhiteProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
Upgraded from zte warp. This is a great phone..excellent hotspot, takes great pictures and prints excellent pictures.Worth the price and better than iPhone.Not bad for a cell phone bill of 45.00 a month.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations