4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone so far! Highly Recommended
I've had the new Galaxy 3 for a few days and it has really grown on me. I upgraded from the Galaxy S (Captivate) which I loved as my first smartphone but I got it as a free refurbished model so it had a few issues (nonfunctioning GPS and random hiccups and restarts here and there). I was a bit wary of sticking to Samsung after having a bit of trouble with the previous...
Published 21 months ago by Pushpin

3.0 out of 5 stars S III- I really wanted to like it...
... And I do, mostly. The device itself is nice. Unfortunately, the device is only half of the story. The issues I have are primarily with the programming of the device.

I had high hopes for S-Voice. I commute 2 hours each way to work, and was really looking forward to having a voice program that I could really use to make calls, send messages, and set...
Published 13 months ago by S. LOTT

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 415 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this phone!, May 4, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S III, Blue 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I have been eyeing the Galaxy S III for a while now. When I saw the price was only $39 I knew the time had come to ditch my old, dying 3G handset for something that actually works. I'm very happy that I did. The difference is like night and day. My only regret is waiting so long.

Many others have gone over the many features of this awesome device, so I will just confirm that this phone is/has all of the following:

Responsive
Fast
Comfortable in the hand
Fun to use
Adequate battery life
Good sound

I was planning to buy the HTC One but the lack of an expansion slot combined with the S3's deeply discounted price made my choice a no brainer. In addition, the phone arrived at my door in just over 24 hours! Thanks Amazon! I can't wait until I can pick up a Fire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now if it could just cook...., March 18, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S III, Blue 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I purchased the Samsung Galaxy S III in pebble blue from Best Buy about a week before Christmas in December 2012. The phone is nothing short of amazing, and fulfills everything one might expect from a cell phone, but a lot more, as well. It is now running Android 4.1.1 after an over-the-air update from AT&T and I could not be happier. A few observations, in no particular order-
(1) The processor seems lightening fast. Web sites load almost instantly, with ether the stock android browser or Chrome, which I use most often. Colors are rich but accurate, and scrolling is rapid and seamless, without hesitation or blur of any kind.
(2) The phone can be customized in almost every way you can imagine. You have complete control over who can call or text, and when they can do so; the type of notifications you want or do not want from the apps you use; ringtones and text tones can be set for individual contacts, etc., etc. If you can perform a simple Google search, you can learn how to do anything the software s capable of, which is quite a lot. I had always been an iPhone user, with modest tech knowledge at best, but I picked up Android quickly. If you use Gmail notifications are always pushed, either with or without an audible alert. Two step sign-in verification is also readily available with the Google authenticator app. I use a number of apps on an almost daily basis that are arranged on seven pages, and, like a great many folks, I would imagine, I have other apps that I use more infrequently. A large weather widget is in my home page, as well as toggle switches for settings, ring or vibrate, driving mode, and flight mode. Google calendar fills another page.
(3) Things that could be improved- well, those who complain about being able to see the display in sunlight are correct, but I think that is a problem for all cell phones. Battery life seems comparable to the iPhone 4S my wife inherited from me- she loves her iPhone and is not interested in an Android OS, although she does like the Nexus 7 she got for Christmas. But, really, you can charge a cell phone from almost anywhere, from the included AC charger, from any USB ported computer, or any car with a functioning DC socket (cigarette lighter). I recommended the Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger, and if you're really concerned about battery life, you can pick up a spare battery, whch is easily changed by simply removing the back cover, as well as a charger for your spare. The OEM battery is Samsung Galaxy S3 Replacement Battery (2100 mAh) for AT&T, Sprint & T-Mobile Models, and you can charge your spare battery with Samsung Galaxy SIII Battery Charger with USB Output, Exclusive Black And Green Color Key Chain Kit. I charged my spare and set it aside, because I just have not needed it. Today I switched my regular battery with the spare, which had been sitting on my dresser top, untouched, for at least a month, just to see how much charge it had retained- and was delighted to see 89%. The spare battery fits perfectly inside the clear plastic carrying case that was used to carry Gameboy game cartridges.
(4) Security a concern? I have used Google Play Store without incident, but by all means, take advantage of free anti-virus software to protect your phone and data. I use Avast for virus/malware protection and a fantastic app called Cerebus (a British paid app, inexpensive, but worth every penny) for locating or locking or wiping a lost phone.
(5) The stock Samsung keyboard is dreadful, and a serious drawback to the phone if not remedied. The best $3.99 I ever spent, and one of only two apps I have paid for so far, is Swiftkey. If you buy this phone, waste little time in using the Google play store to download and install Swiftkey. It is at least a thousand times better than the stock keyboard, and now predicts the next word I am going to type with amazing accuracy.
(6) Did I mention the expandable memory- up to 32 GB? Again, I am completely happy with this phone in every way. I recommend it wholeheartedly, and without reservations of any kind.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice but a bit frustrating, February 21, 2013
Terri Roberts (Livermore, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S III, Blue 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Having given up an iPhone for this, I am thrilled with most of the features and capabilities. HOWEVER, BE AWARE if you buy this that you WILL NOT BE ABLE to hear yourself speak when using the earbuds/microphone for a phone call. VERY VERY ANNOYING and no app or other earbuds will fix it. Equally annoying and inconvenient is the texting app that shows all pictures as SLIDESHOWS, which means no pinching and zooming. There are work-arounds for this, but overall I'm frustrated. Samsung tech support told me there are no fixes for these issues. SO BEWARE, you will hate it. Other than these, I'm impressed by this phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars i love samsung!!, November 25, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S III, Blue 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
i have owned a htc evo 4g with sprint for a long while but after my contract was up. i was looking for a new carrier with a better 4g lte network. it came down to verizon and att. i looked at 3 phones iphone5, gs3, droid razr m, after looking a testing all 3 phones it came down to the two best gs3 iphone5, which att and verizon had. but when comparing the plans att had the better data plans. so i choice the samsung galaxy s 3 , im pretty happy with the pick, it can do the nfc which is awesome iphone5 did not have. and the fact is was android phone which im used to, and i just had my phone updated with jelly bean its super fast and made this phone that much better!. only thing i would say is the battery is not as strong as droid phones. but the fact it does last whole day is still better then my htc which last about 5 hours before it needs to be plugged back in. only thing i did copy was the droids circle widgets which is awesome touch to my gs3. i say your looking for a mini computer this is it. i love the talk and text comes in handy when your fingers are tight up. lol.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent top of the line phone!, November 25, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S III, Blue 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
So I had the iPhone 5 and while it is cool I just hated the harsh lock-downs apple put on it. So then I traded for this phone. So far im impressed, its like Samsung put their best work into this phone to become a genius. This phone by far is the best I have ever Owned and I would recommend it to anybody who likes Samsung or who likes the top of the line smartphone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Convert from BB to Android, July 8, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S III, Blue 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
This was a great switch from my clunky BB Torch to this new toy. Great screen, nothing lags. I checked my running apps and frequently I had 15+ running with no performance hit.

Only points to know if you are converting:
-Battery life is terrible if you are actively using your phone. Keep your charger handy, but this is like this for all phones with a screen like this.
-For those used to a physical keyboard, get SwiftKey 3. It will make your life sooo much easier.

Concerning Amazon: I was eager for this phone and pre-ordered day 1. They couldn't get to me in the first push, but with persistence, I got free overnight shipping and got the phone on the 30th.

4.0 out of 5 stars BEST ANDROID PHONE, July 10, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S III, Blue 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I am an Iphone user for almost three years. I have been trying to use Andorid phone and tablet, I ended up back to iphone and ipad. I purchased this phone a week ago because I want something new but I am not sure if I want to keep this phone when iphone 5 came out.

PROS: Very fast phone, better camera than iphone 4S, better sound quality than iphone 4S, send email attachment directly from the email, not like the iphone.

CONS: Battery drain problem, although this problem is very intermittent, means sometimes the battery last longer and sometimes the phone runs very hot and drain the battery very quickly. Very annoying issue. Wifi needs to be reset once in while.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid alternative to iPhone 5, November 24, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S III, Blue 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I recently purchased a Galaxy S3 to replace an older iPhone (both AT&T), and first impressions are very good. The phone seems well built, but the industry-wide race for ever-lighter phone construction has its disadvantages. I wouldn't use this or ANY other high-end phone without a sturdy case, such as an Otterbox. I used Otterbox's "Defender" with my iPhone, and it not only survived numerous drops, it still looks brand new.

The S3's basic functionality is very similar to the iPhone, and the very large screen size makes it a highly competitive alternative to the more expensive iPhone 5. S3 display quality is bright and crisp, system response is rapid, and I've loaded a number of widely-used applications from Google Play without any issues. The interface between my PC-based Outlook Calander and Contacts isn't quite as seamless as with iTunes, but I figured out how to make it work properly with a bit of online research.

This phone has lots of capability that will take a while to fully learn and understand, and not everyone needs everything the S3 can do. Learning takes time, and capability takes battery power no matter what device you're using. Some complain when a bit of effort is required to understand, or that their battery doesn't last as long as they would like. The same solution applies to whatever you buy; take the time to learn about your device and turn off the bells/whistles that you don't want or need! Overall, the battery appears adequate, but will probably not last the fully advertised time when placed under heavy load. Unlike the iPhone, the S3's design allows the user to EASILY swap out the battery, and replacements are inexpensive.

I've not used it long, but it looks like a winner at first glance. Time will tell if it has the build quality of my previous iPhone. I own a number of different Samsung products, and have never been dissatisfied with any of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great device, October 4, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S III, Blue 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I recently switched into an S3 from an iPhone 4S, and have to say I'm happy to have made the change.

First, the cons. The phone feels pretty flimsy and fragile out of the box. The first time I opened the back to put my SIM card and battery in, I was half afraid the cover was going to snap in half. The battery adds some much needed weight and makes the back feel more solid as it isn't hollow once the battery is inside. That said, I still wish they had made it another millimeter thicker or went with a more durable material and I recommend investing in a decent case and would avoid opening up the back more often than is necessary.

I also experienced some problems getting the phone to re-connect to saved wifi networks both at home and at my business. It would often give an error claiming poor signal strength even if the phone was sitting next to the router and showed a very strong signal. A Google search told me I wasn't the only person having this problem. Apparently the phone doesn't completely support WPA2 encryption. Changing my network security to WPA mostly fixed the problem, but I still occasionally have to turn off and restart the router to get the phone to connect to the network.

The positives include just about everything else. Hardware wise the phone is very solid. The display isn't quite as good as the HTC One X, but very good nonetheless. The processor is very fast as is the LTE internet if you're lucky enough to live in an LTE market. Even away from LTE though the HSPA+ backhaul network is pretty fast. The signal isn't quite as good as my iPhone, as I have no signal or 1 bar where I previously had 2-3 bars. I live out in the sticks though and always have 4-5 bars in town. When I do have a signal it seems very reliable. Have only had 1 dropped call so far and that was in an area where AT&T is pretty notorious for dropping calls, while previously I had them on a pretty regular basis no matter where I was.

I also really like the removable battery and the expandable memory, a feature that the current flagship smartphones from Apple and HTC lack. I'm quite careful with my phones so the battery is often the first component to fail so I like knowing that I can replace it easily if I need to. It is worth noting however that the S3 currently does not allow you to store apps or app data to the micro SD card- they must be saved on the internal memory which makes me wish that there was a 32 GB version of the phone available in the US like there is internationally. I didn't realize this when I bought a 64 GB micro SD card. I probably would have gone with a smaller, cheaper 16 or 32 GB card had I known. I hope this changes when Jelly Bean rolls out.

Add in the fact that Android is the best mobile OS available and its tough to make an argument to buy anything else. Plus Samsung gets bonus points for their amazing marketing campaign centered around the S3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible phone, September 27, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S III, Blue 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I have to start by pointing out that I love technology and as such I like to try everything and rate everything based on usability, design, performance and comfort. That being said, the Samsung Galaxy S3 is a power to be reckoned with. The display is excellent, maybe not as good as the iphone 5 but it's not much behind and in reality, screen resolution on a cell phone is not that important. The phone's speed is also astonishing, more than most will ever need- I can't really comment on gaming performance as I really only play video games on consoles- and with day-to-day use the phone never lags or crashes, even without killing running apps.
I've read on many forums that people think the phone feels cheap, especially when compared to the iphone which in my opinion is false. The phone is made of plastic but it doesn't feel cheap, rather, it feels light for a device its size. However, this is my opinion and each is entitled to their own.

Overall, I think this phone is excellent; the design is beautiful, the processing speed is top tier, and Android is a great platform (especially because it's based on linux). I highly recommend this phone to anybody wanting a phone with a screen that can be used to surf the web and any techie wanting to use a platform that is both user friendly and open for tweaks.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 415 | Next ›