5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!
Published 22 months ago by Diana

1.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, beware of Sprint!!
First off, this phone is great. My one star refers to Sprint. Phone is very cool, new Android software is an ease to use and has many great features. Now, on to Sprint. First off, your bill will start the minute you purchase this phone from Amazon. I called Sprint the next day, asked if I could wait two weeks to activate phone, transfer my numbers over, they said sure, no...
Published 17 months ago by Karl Buresh

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, September 27, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S III, White 16GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Amazon guarantees free 2 day shipping, but I got it in a day (a MAJOR plus). I got the phone and it was in perfect condition. It does not come with a micro SD card (I forgot to read the fine print), but it does come with earphones. The battery life isn't the best, but it's nothing I would complain about. A car charger and extra batteries are probably going to be necessary. Other than that, this phone runs really smoothly and its interface is amazing! I switched over from an HTC Evo (the first one that came out) and I hated the phone with a burning passion. My Evo was slow, heavy, bulky, and frustrating. This phone runs really fast, is super light (I mean like a feather), and is really slim. There are comparisons between the plastic back of the S3 and the nice smooth feel of the iPhone 4S and 5. Honestly, to me, the S3 doesn't feel cheap. It's smooth and shiny. If no one ever pointed out the plastic backing, I wouldn't have even noticed it. Because it's so slim and light, I feel like I can snap it in two, but this thing seems pretty study. I love it so far!

Edit: I've been using this phone for 2 months now and the battery lasts me throughout the whole day. However, I do turn off my mobile data and WiFi when I don't use it. On my average day, the battery is great. On a day where I'm really active with my phone, I bring an extra batery along just in case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I chose it over iphone 5, November 2, 2012
Erica Haba (Chapel Hill, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S III, White 16GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
It does everything the iphone does and about 27 more other things. Android Jelly Bean and google now kick Apple's ass in the innovation department. price is out of this world at $99 dollars w 2 yr contract. Just added 64gb micro sdxc card ($60) for a total 80gb storage space. need more battery power? How about a 4400mAh battery. How about wireless battery charging? Yes it's coming in the next few weeks. Outselling the iphone 4 to 1. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This is the best phone of 2012.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Happy, October 22, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S III, White 16GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I Bought The S3 with a new Verizon contract. 1st it was $50.00 cheaper to buy on Amazon than any retail store or Verizon store. the rest of my family got the Iphone S4 which just by looks alone I made the right decision and I am so happy with the size and weight I love the apps.(hubby thought so too) I love that the S3 has incredible camera and video 1080hp. I love the accessories on amazon store so much cheaper than Apple. Samsung has video clips on playshare to help learn how to use the phone ♥

4.0 out of 5 stars The best smartphone money can buy in the over-hyped age of Apple, January 3, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S III, White 16GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
After fiddling with both a Blackberry 9800 and Nokia Lumia 720 (on Windows Phone) for the past two years, I had finally had enough of using a mobile operating system (OS) without a good ecosystem of applications and superior specifications, so I prepared - like many people have - to make the switch to an iPhone. I would be lying if I said that price point and good advertising didn't make me consider the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Android, but in retrospect, I'm very happy I took a second look. Simply put, being very familiar with each of the major mobile OS' - Google's Android, Apple's iOS, RIM's Blackberry, and Microsoft's Windows Phone - the Samsung Galaxy S3 is the BEST smartphone money can buy and is overall superior to the experience Apple offers on the iPhone.

DESIGN & FEATURES

The first impression I always get when people look at my phone is, "Wow, that's a big phone" - and until you own one, it is. The Galaxy S3's 4.8 inch screen dwarfs my 3.2" Blackberry 9800 and 4.3" Lumia 720. But, it honestly doesn't feel like such a big step up. The phone has a sexy form factor (Samsung and sexy have rarely been uttered in the same sentence before the S3); it's incredibly light, thin, and the screen size feels just right. Since I have become adjusted to the Galaxy S3, using my friends' iPhones have become a pain. While the iPhone 5 was too small and cramped to type on with confidence, the Galaxy S3's screen size was just right. Even when using the phone horizontally, typing and navigating the Galaxy S3 still feels natural.

Some argue that the Galaxy S3 feels "cheap" compared to the iPhone 5, but I actually found Samsung's use of hard plastic to be much better than Apple's premium finishes. The iPhone 5 felt incredibly light and fragile (for someone like me, who drops portable devices like no tomorrow, this was a big game-changer), while the Galaxy S3 actually felt solid and durable. The hard plastic on the Galaxy S3 is incredibly deceiving, because it feels sleek and looks relatively good - Samsung did a good job on the chrome fitting that lines the sides of the phone. The only thing that's flimsy is the removable back cover, but it's no biggie.

Beyond screen size, the Galaxy S3 shares just about every top-of-the-line, cutting-edge feature of its major competitors: an 8MP camera that produces gorgeous quality photos (my iPhone 4/5 friends are insanely jealous at how well the camera holds up in low-light); a front-facing camera perfect for shameless self-portraits and Skyping; a reasonable 8GB of on-board storage; very generous battery life; and superb call quality.

But here's where the Galaxy S3 simply outdoes its flagship counterparts - the iPhone 5, Google/LG Nexus 4, and Nokia Lumia 920, to name a few: Samsung did THE CONSUMER a favor by including a removable battery & microSD card slot for expansion.

Some claim removable batteries are incredibly overrated, but this was a godsend for me. My first Nokia Lumia 720 sustained water damage and while the phone itself was alright, the battery was destroyed. Having a removable battery allowed me to buy a new battery without having to get a new phone. Yes, insurance plans cover replacement, but require pricey deductibles for water damage. None of the Galaxy S3's competitors - not the iPhone, Nexus, or Lumia - offer a removable battery.

The microSD card slot means expandable storage, which was also a game-changer. That means I can use my Galaxy S3 not just as a smartphone (for calling, texting, browsing, and using apps), but I can use it as a portable media device for all my music, movies, and photos. Carrying around a phone, mp3 player, and digital camera is simply not feasible in this day and age, so expandable storage allows me to add up to 64 GB of storage on top of the on-board 8 GB. 64 GB microSD cards run for about $60 on Amazon (I'm using a 16GB microSD card I bought for $12). The iPhone 5 and Nexus 4 don't offer expandable storage, meaning their base models are capped at a lousy 16 and 8 GB, respectively. To get 32 GB of storage on a 16 GB Galaxy S3, you only have to put out an additional $12-20. With the iPhone or Nexus, you need to put out an additional $100-$150 to even come close.

THE GREAT DEBATE: ANDROID vs. iOS

Android has come a long way since its early days; Google has done tremendous work making its mobile OS more refined, buttery fast, and - dare I say it - beautiful. With the latest build (version 4.1+) shipping with the Galaxy S3, you have an OS that is incredibly beautiful and easy to use. Apple's iOS may be beautiful in its own right, but it's hardly customizable. The iPhone 5 has a stagnant home screen where you can move apps around and organize them into folders, but you can do little else. Meanwhile, the Galaxy S3 has beautiful widgets, which can do things like display a list of appointments from your Calendar app on the home screen, give you real-time weather updates and large time information all from the home screen. Android is fully customizable, whereas with Apple, you get a very stagnant experience.

Apple aficionados tout that iOS is more "user-friendly" than Android, but seeing my entire family (including my self-professed 'technologically-challenged' mother) switch to Galaxy's, I beg to differ. Although Android itself is incredibly easy to use, Samsung makes it even easier with TouchWiz, a special version of the OS exclusive to Samsung's line of Android phones. The pull-down notification bar not only displays new notifications from all of your applications, but it also displays key aspects of the phone (e.g. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, Airplane Mode) that you can toggle on and off with ease. It's great to be able to toggle these features on-and-off, especially when dealing with a low battery (Wi-Fi can be a killer).

The only discernible advantage iOS has over Android is in the app world, but it's not significant enough to make a difference for the average user. New apps tend to make it to iOS months before Android. Still, with the vast majority of popular apps - Facebook, Instagram, Angry Birds, Skype, etc. - on both platforms and broadcasting updates to both near-simultaneously, you can hardly tell. Google offers applications, movies/TV shows (for rent and purchase), e-books, and magazines via the easy-to-use Play Store, which has been a blast to use.

Google offers services Apple simply can't compete with. The silky-smooth Chrome browser, GMail application, and a host of Google apps - Google Drive, Google Maps, etc. - are built-in and fully integrated with Android. Given that Apple can't even seem to make its own Maps application right (prompting millions to flock to the new Google Maps application for iPhone), having a Galaxy S3 is a total win. Now, Microsoft's Windows Phones offer incredible integration with Microsoft's services as well, but very few of us use Bing to search, SkyDrive for cloud storage, or Outlook for mail. Google Now comes right out of the box, a beautiful voice command experience that uses the power of the Google search. Google Now is not only better at picking up voice commands than Siri, but it is fully integrated with Google search in the event that your voice companion is clueless. Samsung includes the similar S-Voice on the Galaxy S3, which I've found to be relatively useless (and now, unnecessary, given the power of Google Now).

THINGS TO NOTE

* Having come to Sprint from T-Mobile, where wi-fi calling/texting was a savior on my Blackberry and Nokia Lumia, I realize that Sprint doesn't seem to allow for wi-fi calling/texting. It may be device-specific, but this was a letdown.
* Google and Samsung have been pretty hush-hush about syncing Android devices with iTunes for easy music transfers, but it exists! Easy Phone Sync, Samsung Kies, and Google Play Music Manager are all incredible options to sync music/content from iTunes without a hassle.
* The Galaxy S3 is offered on essentially every major carrier, so if you get spotty service with Sprint (or notice poor coverage in your area), I'd recommend the S3 on a different carrier.
* Androids don't have group messaging enabled out of the box, which is a pain when communicating with your iPhone-obsessed friends, but apps like Go! SMS fix the problem and even let you use 'emoji,' which are apparently a big hit.

This is just an amazing phone and in my opinion, the best smartphone money can buy! Samsung has finally made an Android phone worth obsessing over; this is truly a game-changing phone and it's setting the bar for technological advancements in slim packages in the future!

PROS
+ Large, beautiful screen in a thin, sexy form factor
+ Durable, solid phone that doesn't feel cheap
+ Expandable storage (microSD) and a removable battery - unheard of on comparable flagship phones like the iPhone 5
+ Gorgeous camera that is a pleasant surprise in low light
+ Fully integrable with Google's awesome services - everything from GMail and Chrome to Drive and Maps
+ The smoothest, most beautiful, user-friendly Android phone to date
+ Great voice search on Google Now & the power of the Google Play Store for apps/multimedia
+ Unbeatable price point (retails at $50-100 cheaper than the iPhone, sometimes $200 cheaper than the Google Nexus 4)

CONS
- No wi-fi calling/texting on Sprint
- No group messaging options
- Flimsy back cover
- The size can take somewhat of an "adjustment period" for some users

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Galaxy S III: Lives up to the hype... and more, March 31, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S III, White 16GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
There's something to be said for plans with phone upgrades. If you like the phone that you have and its features meet your needs, then you can keep it. But if it's not doing what you need, then you can dump it and move on to something better. In my case, the old one was locking up every few days, and it was time to move on.

I've owned this Samsung Galaxy S III 4G Android Phone for almost three months now, which is plenty of time for someone to get used to it and explore all of what it can do. This choice was a result of doing a lot of research over the months to upgrade time, research that paid off as this has turned out to be a good one. Had looked at about a dozen possible upgrades, from the iPhone 5 to the HTC EVO, and doing actual hands-on usage locally. In the end, it was the Galaxy S3 that worked best for my particular needs. Here's a short synopsis of the highs and lows for those who just want the key points, followed by a more in-depth look.

◆ Pros:

+ Excellent design & display; 4.8" Super AMOLED touchscreen is noteworthy, brilliant
+ Superb performance; 1.5GHz dual-core processor performs well, even on 3G speeds
+ Excellent battery life; 2100 mAh Li-ion battery lasts throughout the day; long talk time
+ Memory expandable; microSD card slot, supports extra cards up to 64GB
+ Rear facing digital camera; 8MP burst mode plus full HD 1080p video capture
+ Full customization; set it up the way that you like, to fit your needs
+ 2GB of base RAM; adds overall speed as the new S4 chipset uses dual-channel RAM
+ Removable battery; replaceable Li-ion batteries with NFC antenna are readily available
+ Excellent media management; media and Android apps are readily available
+ First rate email options; Samsung and Gmail clients installed out of the box
+ Very good text messaging; configurable in a number of ways
+ Excellent availability of apps; Appstore for Android & Google's Play Store have them all

◆ Cons:

- Samsung's Siri competitor, S Voice, could stand some work

◆ First Impressions:

When I ordered this phone here on Amazon, I called Sprint to see what their deal was as an upgrade. The funny part was that the Amazon price was better than the Sprint price direct, but the service rep stayed with me online for a number of minutes, stepping me through the details of the order, my plan, etc. Should note that I've been a Sprint subscriber for over nine years now, and only once did I have a disagreement with them over a minor billing issue, which they corrected in my favor. That's service, and why I'm still with them.

The phone arrived about two days later, and when un-boxed, there was the Galaxy S III handset, a 2100 mAh Li-ion rechargeable battery, the charger, a USB cable, and a quick start guide. Immediately charged the battery following the directions, then turned it on and began to explore. Within the first half hour, I came first to the Appstore for Android here and downloaded the Lookout Mobile Security based on experience with the similar product for the Kindle Fire. With all of the spyware and malware out there, even on Android devices, this was the first app loaded, and it took under 60 seconds to download and about two minutes to set up. There were others, but this one had priority.

◆ In Use:

Though it has a large 4.8" Super AMOLED touchscreen, at barely ⅓" the phone is deceptively thin, and subjectively felt even a bit fragile. That was cured with the addition of a sturdy OtterBox Prefix Series Hybrid Case in carbon, which added enough thickness and rubberized protection to make it a good feel. The addition of a SanDisk Ultra 16GB MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card instantly doubled the memory, and at a far greater savings than getting the 32GB version of this phone. And although I've found this phone to be highly efficient as far as battery life goes, after surviving Hurricane Sandy in NYC last October, getting a pair of backup Galaxy S3 2100 mAh replacement batteries here also made good sense.

It's hard to not talk about the screen, as even after a few months of use, it's still beautiful and very functional. It's as good as those in the Galaxy Note and HTC One X, and a big jump above the Galaxy S2. Mine came with Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) embedded out of the box, with its new improvements, so there's a range options when it comes to notification management and such. One can easily get rid of anything that isn't wanted by simply swiping the alert left or right. But keep in mind that my remarks here are based on the current configuration, and Android updates happen.

The Smart Stay feature is a good one, as the screen remains bright as long as you're looking at the phone, then dims instantly when you're not looking at it, saving the battery. It does this by using the front-facing camera in the Galaxy S III. But S Voice, which is Samsung's answer to Apple's Siri feature, is nowhere near Siri level for those who have used it. It's fun in some respects; you can do simple tasks, such as going to Facebook, opening the calendar, making an appointment or playing a specific song or playlist, but it still needs a bit of work.

The contacts feature is good, where each becomes tagged with a photo from either Google, Facebook or one that you've added in yourself. You can assign a dedicated ringtone plus a dedicated buzz pattern, so each person or company is recognizable in your pocket. And calling on the Galaxy S III is exceptional. It's noise reduction is top notch, and even walking on a city street while talking, it's one of the best that I've encountered. It has an 'extra volume' setting that really does boost the volume from the earpiece.

Bluetooth connectivity is excellent, and both my Plantronics Voyager Legend and older Voyager PRO Bluetooth headsets have produced some of the clearest sounds from a headset yet. I've walked down a hallway and into other rooms while the Galaxy S III was still at my desk, and the caller on the other end had no clue.

For email, there are two options out of the box: the standard Samsung client where you add your email address, or Gmail. The Samsung client has a decent layout, and offers the option to see your email standard chronological order, or grouped together as conversations. Moving from one email to another is done by swiping, and works quite well once you're used to it. But HTML files don't display automatically. The Gmail client offers more options, such as labeling (tagging), archiving and sync options. Luckily there's a choice.

Regarding Internet access, the Galaxy S III is great, especially if you're in an area running 4G LTE, yet performance isn't lacking in 3G areas. Web pages show up in clear and crisp formations. The Chrome browser is enabled on this phone, so that means that synchronized bookmarks from your PC or Mac work provided you're signed into Google, and this works very well. You can browse using incognito mode in the same way as Chrome on the PC or Mac, and you can also save pages for off-line reading in those areas where you'll be stuck without a signal, such as a subway. All things considered, the Galaxy S III has to be one of the best Internet phones on the market, and from personal experience, is even better than the iPhones. Your experiences may be different in your geographic area.

The Galaxy S III has to be one of the best messaging devices around, and offers a large number of ways to talk to communicate the way Android phones have been doing for years; you can email, SMS, message and IM all from within the phone. The messaging system offers yellow and blue conversation text bubbles (which can be changed), and you can also check to see if your Android-powered friends are online through a little green dot next to their name in the contact list. There's also the ChatON app as standard, which is Samsung's version of BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) and is designed to allow you to communicate to others on Samsung devices with the app installed in a secure and private fashion.

The rear-facing 8MP digital camera offers burst mode plus full HD 1080p video capture, and the speed with which very sharp can be taken came as a surprise. There's zero shutter lag, and the burst allows you to take about 20 sequential photos in a row at around 10 per second, which is great for action sequences. There are a number of options that should be explored, such as the Best Shot option, which lives up to its name. If you're a photographer, this one will surprise you with the picture quality, and there are many excellent apps that work superbly with the Galaxy S III's 8MP digital camera. The front-facing camera has a decent is closing in on being a decent 1.9MP sensor, and is capable of taking reasonable self portraits for those so inclined.

Video recording is quite streamlined and easy. It defaults to 1920 x 1080 video, better than many others, and there are plenty of options to play with. It will record at 30fps, and you can adjust other options, such as white balance and vibration reduction. There's no option for slow motion video, but that wasn't surprising. It still gives you a good tool for video recording. Zooming in and out is there; just pinch to zoom to get a larger or smaller image.

The Galaxy S III is quite an impressive media mobiles you can find, but the 16GB version may cramp your style if that's your orientation. Luckily it's not a huge issue because of the microSD card slot, which supports extra cards up to a total of 64GB. This is where the iPhone and and others fall woefully short, so check the specs on others that you may be considering. Expandable memory is a good thing. Add to that, Samsung has jumped most of the competition by offering 50GB of Dropbox storage, so if you're running out of space, you're probably doing something wrong.

The music player offers first rate quality of sound, with even tonal quality. The range of equalizer settings is quite impressive, though one needs to experiment a bit to find which is best. Some seem quite similar to other, but the differences in quality between 'rock' and 'dance' are probably a good place to start, especially with a set of headphones.

◆ Note:

This Galaxy S III was bought here on Amazon as an upgrade. My previous phones had been from BlackBerry, but my last, the Curve 9330 had turned out to be a mobile disaster, with constant resets, shutdowns and a myriad of other issues. Sprint support had been very good throughout the time that I had it, but jut when things seemed to be right, something else went wrong. The Galaxy SIII had been recommended by not just other users, but a couple of internal Sprint techs as being one of the best choices in terms of overall reliability, performance and user satisfaction. They were right, as were most of the better reviews that I had come across. Results and experiences may vary from one person to another, but one reason my satisfaction with this Android device may be due to the fact that I took the time to read the manual completely, and from that I learned a lot.

Currently this phone isn't getting 4G LTE service in my area, but the 3G connectivity has been exceptionally good and very reliable, with fast 'Net access, excellent voice call quality and top-notch performance across the board. Will be looking forward to 4G LTE connectivity when it's turned on in my area later this year.

This review will be 'dynamic' and by that I mean that it will be updated from time to time as may be warranted. Good finds in apps and accessories will be noted in the comment if they're worth sharing.

◆ Bottom Line:

This Samsung Galaxy S III 4G Android Phone has been an excellent choice, and the fact that it's running Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean), which has been an first-rate operating system paired with the 1.5 GHz dual-core Snapdragon processor. The overall design is quite good, and some have called it the best Android smartphone on the market. It offers every kind of feature this picky user could ask for and more. Battery life, processor speed and media management are first-class, and the ability to upgrade memory with microSD cards bumped it to the top over the iPhone and other competitive phones. In terms of power, functionality and usability, this one is a 5-star winner. Highly recommended, as it lives up to the hype... and more.

3/31/2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, November 10, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S III, White 16GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I have not had no problem at all with this if not at no reception problems with this phone like like I know people with the sprint IPhone and get a lot of drop calls .....my phone works all through my apartment ...even all on metro...call quality is excellent...I told my friend to turn his iphone I for the white galaxy S3...he did and loves it....excellent phone probably reception wise the best phone on sprint

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone i have ever come across!, November 29, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S III, White 16GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
i love this phone to death and i really really recomend it! And if you sign up for a new contract you get it for only $29.99! Simply Amazing! thank you Samsung and Amazon! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Android File Transfer, October 4, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S III, White 16GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This phone is amazing compared to my old EVO 4G (the first evo). There is just one thing I never saw mentioned in any of the reviews or videos for this phone. If you're using OS X, you will need to install additional software to transfer files to this phone. It's a program called Android File Transfer. You will find the program at android.com/filetransfer or just google search Android File Transfer and it will be the first link at the top.

This program just opens a window that you drag and drop files to. Nothing complicated, but normal keyboard shortcuts seem to not work with this program. Copy and paste keyboard shortcuts do not work like usual, and I wasn't able to figure out what keys they have assigned to it if any. Delete is just "cmd + delete".

Also if you do have a file you're trying to copy and paste there is no option when you right click (control click) to paste it. You need to drag and drop files into the window. When you right click (control click), your only options are "new folder", and "delete".

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., November 19, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S III, White 16GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Love it! This product is amazing. Get it - not the iPhone. It is fast and very, very awesome. Doesn't slow down, great apps, awesome android access and Samsung plus items.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT phone. see below for cons, December 12, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S III, White 16GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I am a techie. Features, functionality and customization are important to me.

You can find reviews all over the internet about how awesome this phone is. I would say they are correct. I'm going to focus on, what I see as, the negatives. If these things are not a deal breaker for you... Get this phone!

-No more usb mass storage.
When the phone is connected to a computer you no longer see a hard. Instead you see a media device this can be very problematic for Mac and Linux users. I am on Windows so I can live with it but I believe it reduces the versatility of the phone. also the MTP transfer method is noticeably slower than the usb mass storage connection.

-Home screen scrolling
Scrolling through home screens never ends. On my Epic 4G I could scroll to the left it would stop, I could scroll to the right it would stop. But now I never get to the end, it just loops back to the other side. I called Sprint and they told me it can't be changed. To be fair, my wife likes it better.

-No texting when on a call
Just tried this today. It didn't work.

Rate and Discover Movies