5.0 out of 5 stars Not the pinnacle of new technology, but Android perfection (for now...)
(9/16/2013: Figured I'd put a cap on this review by mentioning I've retired the Galaxy Nexus in favor of a Motorola Droid Maxx, which very much feels like the Galaxy Nexus version 2.0 -- about the same physical size, nearly stock Android, superb all-day battery, great radios, and very swift and fluid.)

There are phones with bigger screens (Galaxy Note), faster...
Published on December 15, 2011 by Nathaniel Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid device crippled by certain issues
Ok so this is more of a 3.5. And mind you, this is going to be LEGIT because I've had this device for almost a month.

What I like a lot about the phone:

1) Size of screen - very easy to read!
2) ICS - very clean interface and runs smooth, not necessarily super intuitive, but very functional! I wish I could say I love the task manager button...
Published on January 21, 2012 by N. Gu

‹ Previous | 19 10 1126 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing phone! Worthy upgrade to the Original Droid, January 26, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
The Galaxy Nexus is simply fantastic. The hardware is great and Android 4.0 (Ice-cream Sandwich) is an absolutely amazing improvement on the OS side of things. The phone looks gorgeous with its curved glass front, slim design and NO VERIZON BRANDING on the front to detract from the look of the phone.

The phone is snappy, and lag free. The SAMOLED screen is gorgeous and while I was very hesitant to buy a pentile matrix screen, the high pixel density on this screen results in great display quality and none of the traditional complaints against older gen pentile screens.

Battery life has also been great. When on Wifi, I lose around 1.1-1.2% battery per hour and I've gone 2 days without charging and light use.

My only complaint is that the phone can feel a bit slippery in your hands as the plastic is quite smooth. I'd recommend a Diztronic TPU case (Matte Black) to keep the phone protected while minimally affecting the looks and form-factor of the phone.

I couldn't be happier with this phone, and with all the great support from Google and from other developers (if your Root and unlock the bootloader), I am confident that it will easily last me 2 years on my contract without any issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Live Comparison to 4GS, January 23, 2012
I have had this phone for a little over a month. Recently I was given an iPhone 4S and figured I would give an honest review between the two.

The Galaxy Nexus has it on both screen size and quality. The Nexus just blows away the iPhone on screen quality - just amazingly clear.

ICS versus iOS - Got to give it to Google, things are integrated without me even thinking about it--amazingly intuitive user interface. It also makes the IOS so bland, which surprised me because I was impressed with the iPhone interface when it first came out. ICS is just so nice (and way more stable than previous versions of Android). I am also concerned about the limited amount of pages on the iOS -- where am I going to put my apps? (Maybe there is something to extend this?)

Widgets - enough said, not available on the iPhone. Not a big deal though because there are only a couple I really use. Still nice.

Apps - I was surprised on this one. Some of the free apps I used on the Android platform did not have as many levels or features when used on the iPhone... strange. iPhone users more likely to pay? There are a few apps that just work better on the iPhone, such as the Stock and Weather apps. For some reason my weather widget on the Nexus will not have data available a good amount of the time.
I kept thinking that the number of Apps on iTunes would tip the scales in favor of the iPhone, but not really. All the good ones are available in the Android market. I also noticed several reviews on the iTunes site about crashing apps, which I would have figured Apple's control over iOS and apps would prevent.

Build - I have to give it to the iPhone. I have been so afraid I am going to flex the Nexus and crack the screen when I place it in my pocket. Also, the battery cover is just plain flimsy/a joke. The iPhone at least feels solid - let's see over time.

I am sure I am leaving out a lot of details, but let me put it this way - if you are trying to decide between the two platforms, the Nexus is a much nicer way to go. Under my circumstances I will have to give up my Nexus and keep the iPhone - and I am really depressed about that. I had been looking forward to the iPhone and Siri - but in the end I would have much rather have kept my Nexus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Phone I've Had, January 19, 2012
I hated Android. I've had the original Droid for 2 years in 3 iterations, and there were consistently weird bugs in the hardware - headphone jack barely worked, phone wouldn't charge when dead - and the software. Apps freezing, being unable to hang up phone calls, etc. For these reasons, I was very ambivalent about holding out for this phone over the iPhone 4S.

Fortunately, this phone doesn't get in the way of my lifestyle. It doesn't freeze, hang, or do anything 'quirky'. The last phone I had with this trait was the Razr.
- When I want to hear a song, I play it from Google Music, with access to my computer's entire library. It then takes less than a second to stream over 4G or Wifi.
- Opening the camera - done from the lock screen - takes 2 seconds. There is no 'freeze' upon taking a picture.
- Browsing is much faster. 4G helps, but the real star is the processor and memory improvement. This phone will eat up any web page or video you give it.
- The voice recognition continues to be fantastic. You never have to type in directions again. I believe it to be more accurate and faster than Siri from what I've seen.
- Battery life is great as well while its on standby. I've gotten over 27 hours once.
- The 4G signal is extremely weak in my apartment: -105 dBm. Does this make it slow? Hell no.

It also looks and feels great. It's very light for its size, and the back looks slick. The screen is fantastic. The curved nature of the device makes its orientation easily distinguishable in a pocket, enabling you to find the volume up / down buttons.

I don't want to claim this phone is perfect, though. Its flaws are just comparatively minor.
- There's a split second lag for some motions, like swiping between screens. (By the way, Swype is fantastic on this device as well, but the keyboard's text prediction is so advanced it's not really needed.) Compare this to the iPhone 4S - on the Nexus you can swipe, lift your finger, and the device's lag will cause it to react when you're not touching the screen. Fortunately, this isn't as bad an issue as it sounds - once you're using the phone, you won't care.
- I've encountered a weird 'Cannot connect to camera' bug. I randomly get this and have to restart the phone before I can use my camera. My phone might be defective (I got it about 10 days ago). This is actually a really significant issue now that I think about it. Get on it, Samsung.
- Many apps have evolved based on Android's old design interfaces. Visually, the clash will make you cringe. The new Android design style is much better than the old green monster, and some apps will remind you of this.

Overall, this is the best smartphone I've owned, and a worthy extension of my brain to have. I would recommend it to anyone in the smartphone market. Go for this over the iPhone if you think you'd like a larger screen and / or you're covered by 4G.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Phone - Can't Wait for Accessories, January 10, 2012
Read the other reviews for the typical stuff, here are some choice notable points:

1) Not all AC/USB converters are alike. When I used a converter other than what Samsung gave me, it didn't even increase the charge above 68% while heavy-duty tethering 4G overnight. Keep that in mind if you find yours doesn't charge quickly.

2) There are 4 batteries available for the phone. NFC and non-NFC as well as standard/extended. After swapping the NFC for the non-NFC and fixing the situation from point #1, my battery gets phenomenal life. When it doesn't then I can see what is eating battery by the ICS battery monitor built into the Settings. All that being said, the standard battery should easily last you the day unless you're tethering much and/or are streaming video for more than a couple hours.

3) Sometimes the screen is too big. I have big hands and am 6'1". Even I have to sometimes adjust the phone in my hand to reach my thumb across the screen when in portrait mode. A pain, but acceptable considering the larger real estate and 1280x720 gloriousness.

4) I look forward to the dock accessories for the phone. Supposedly one of them has a full HDMI port. Another will charge a second battery simultaneously.

5) Fear not that it doesn't have an HDMI port. MHL is the new spec where you can feed power AND HDMI via a breakout cable. The HTC Rezound has one on their website that you can see and refer to. I would imagine Samsung/Verizon will have one out soon that works. Some allow only HDMI out but will drain the battery. I'd suggest waiting for one that powers the phone and outputs HDMI at the same time.

6) The phone is super slim. You cannot see this phone when it is in the pocket. Similar to the Samsung Galaxy SII's thinness.

7) Bluetooth pairing works great and the 4G LTE tethering is super fast and reliable.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Android Yet - ICS A Great Upgrade!, December 18, 2011
I have been using Android since the HTC Hero came out in 2009, and I have to say this is the best Android phone to date. Ice Cream Sandwich really makes this phone into something very cool. After using this for a couple days, I can't imagine ever picking up another Android phone. It just won't be the same. Go stock 4.0 and ditch the skins.

Here are my favorite parts about this phone:
- Enough processing power and RAM to actually get things done
- Ice Cream Sandwich: A new polished take on Android
- Updates from Google to fix the bugs and annoyances. My last phone took 9 months to get the first update, and never got another
- The screen: It is crisp and beautiful
- Verizon 4G: So fast it is crazy!

Negatives:
- Battery life can suffer a bit with LTE. Just turn it off until you need it, or go with another non-LTE carrier for better battery life.
- Some apps don't work with ICS yet. Should be fixed shortly.

If you are going to get an Android phone, this is the one to get. I felt sorry for all the customers in the Verizon store buying other Android phones. The only other phone out there worth getting is the iPhone, but I prefer Android, and need a swappable battery for work, so this gets my vote.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a Grand Slam, But a VERY VERY Solid Phone...PLUS a Battery Life Suggestion, December 15, 2011
Samsung always tries to give a little of everything in their phones. Nexus is a perfect example pf how they market their phones, "a little bit of everything but nothing great". A 1.5 Dual CPU, or a Super Amoled Plus screen would've made this phone a runaway must have, but they held back, and stayed with the pack of their competitors. Nonetheless, still a very solid phone for now,or at least the next 6 months.

Phone has shortcomings, 4.0 appears very very raw (looks and feels like Android 1.0 before the upgrades; and 2.0 were released). The dialer needs to be fine tuned a bit, screens and buttons needs to be a little more user friendly (I keep going in circles trying to find simple functions like apps being used, or apps shut down). I understand that this is a more "pure" Android OS, but I still hope they fine tune it up a bit in future upgrades.

I have my MP3 on 24/7; the speaker is fine IMHO. It's better than my Fascinate and Charge; but then everyone has a different "ear" for the best sound.

Even though this is HD Super Amoled, The quality of the video IMHO is not superior to Super Amoled, or Super Amoled Plus. In fact, I thought video appeared superior on the Fascinate, Charge, and Stratosphere (since returned). I did a comparison with all 4 phones running the same video simultaneously. Nexus has slightly better image definition due the increased pixels quality, but the colors looked worse when compared to the others. Charge and Stratosphere had the best colors and video experience....again JMHO.

Even with the shortcomings, I'd still go with the Nexus because it gives you a little of everything, but nothing superior which would make it a must have. It seems that none of the big 3 phone makers really want to out do each other; and instead prefer a tight race to keep us spending our money on their phones. If HTC had invested in, and put Amoled into their phones, the Rezound with it's 1.5 dual core, and near top or top specs, would have been top dog this holiday season and the phone to have.

LOL...I predict the next Samsung phone will probably have a 1.5 dual, a HD Super Amoled Plus screen, a 4.7 inch screen, Android 4.2, and its price will be 349.99 with a 2 year contract!!!!!!

The Nexus is a overall quality phone with nothing really great about it; except for the smoother and new OS, and the improved hardware; the next Samsung phone will be a much better phone. Just remember how Android 1.0 was before 2.0 was released. With this said, I'm going to keep this phone.

BATTERY PROBLEM SUGGESTION: Folks, remember 5-7 years back, when cell carriers always told us to overcharge our phone batteries within the first day or few days in order to extend and break in a new battery? Well it sill works. When I first starting using the Nexus, it was sucking down my battery within minutes after unplugging the charger. Even when I was listening to my MP3 or watching video while the Nexus was plugged in, the drain was greater than the charging. I've overcharged my battery for 5 days now, and the life of the battery is extending now. Watching video and playing MP3s while plugged, is not draining my battery as fast as when it was brand new. I also get about 1 hour more in life when the phone is unplugged. I also did this with my Fascinate, and my Fascinate's battery lasted longer for me, until it started to get old. I ran my Fascinate into the ground -- literally! Anyway, what's old advice still works, so give it a try. This worked for me twice, and not everyone might get the same results as I did. It all comes down to personal expectations.

Anyway, Good Luck trying and Happy Holidays to All! Enjoy your new cell phones; whichever you finally decide to stick with!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars It's crap don't buy it, July 11, 2012
J. Booher (Cleveland, OH USA) - See all my reviews
Have had two - they replaced the first.

Call quality is horrible.

Internet is sporadic.

47 dropped calls in one month...

Don't buy it. These are "known issues" according to Verizon.

5.0 out of 5 stars don't trust all the bad reviews, June 6, 2012
I don't usually write product reviews but felt like I should bout this phone...I've had it for over a week and had no problems which is a relief after a nightmare of problems with two droid razrs....amazon wireless is awesome bout trying to fix any issues even overnighting this phone out to me for free....I've had no real signal issues and have just received a software update which dramatically boosted the 4g signal and speed....all around a fast good phone without all the carrier bloatware......can't recommend the razr as it was always dropping signal getting stuck between 3g and 4g and wouldn't connect to WiFi.....if you want a fast phone with a beautiful big display get this one

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone I've ever had!, February 17, 2012
I am a phone whore and usually get a new phone at least once a year. Before this phone I had a Motorola Droid2 and about 3 months after I got the phone I had major problems. So I started looking in to new phones. The two phones I was scoping out was the new iPhone 4s and the Galaxy Nexus. I really wanted a keyboard but neither of these phones had a keyboard. I was leaning more towards the iPhone because everyone has one and the accessories for the phone are so cute! But after realizing I'm losing a keyboard there was no competition to the screen size between the two. The Samsung Nexus beats the iPhone hands down! Bigger screen size, same clarity (if not better) photos, gorgeous videos, fast, easier to use touchscreen with the perfect letter sizes to text. I am very happy with this phone and I have made a few of my iPhone friends very jealous.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Phone, February 9, 2012
I got this phone at my local verizon store on launch day. I use my cell phone a lot throughout the day and have never been more satisfied with any phone. The phone is incredibly quick, providing a refreshing twist to android's sluggish performance. It is slim as can be, and fairly light as well. This phone doesnt overheat and doesnt die in 5 hrs of use like the Htc thunderbolt. Screen quality is amazing and I could never go back to a lower resolution. The call quality is crystal clear, my only gripe is the speakerphone is really quiet and is easily muffled. I would reccomend this to anyone looking for a great android phone.

‹ Previous | 19 10 1126 | Next ›