5.0 out of 5 stars Not the pinnacle of new technology, but Android perfection (for now...)
(9/16/2013: Figured I'd put a cap on this review by mentioning I've retired the Galaxy Nexus in favor of a Motorola Droid Maxx, which very much feels like the Galaxy Nexus version 2.0 -- about the same physical size, nearly stock Android, superb all-day battery, great radios, and very swift and fluid.)

There are phones with bigger screens (Galaxy Note), faster...
Published on December 15, 2011 by Nathaniel Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid device crippled by certain issues
Ok so this is more of a 3.5. And mind you, this is going to be LEGIT because I've had this device for almost a month.

What I like a lot about the phone:

1) Size of screen - very easy to read!
2) ICS - very clean interface and runs smooth, not necessarily super intuitive, but very functional! I wish I could say I love the task manager button...
Published on January 21, 2012 by N. Gu

‹ Previous | 110 11 1226 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not ready for Prime Time. Voice Dialer Broken, other issues., January 22, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
Updated 2/3/12: The phone is okay, but not great. So far, call reception has been mediocre, but call quality is usually very clear. Data reception is very poor, for 3G and 4G. It is very pretty and the apps seem to work great. However, as a phone it has some things broken or missing. I use a blue-tooth ear piece to use my phone hands-free, and have been doing so for at least 10 years or so. This phone is the worst at matching of contacts to voice dialing that I have ever seen, so much so it is comical. This is the function of the voice dialer program, not the Google voice command program, which works great. The problem with voice dialer is that it seems to think it knows what I want and will immediately dial it without asking me if it got it right first. This has ended up in the random dialing of just about everyone in my contacts list. Many times I can't just hit the blue-tooth to disconnect because it has already dialed the wrong number. This program needs to be fixed. I called customer service and they said to try another voice dialer program or hope an update comes out soon that fixes it.

The other issue is that I couldn't find the notification that I had voice mails waiting. My wife's Motorola phone has a recorder icon that shows how many voice mails are waiting, and my old LG Dare phone showed them in the messages area and it would buzz me until I would acknowledge it. This phone has a very tiny pull down screen from tiny tiny icons on top of phone. There is also a white LED on the bottom of the phone, but I didn't even notice it for a long time and I'm not sure what will set it off (I think some app updates may set it off). I downloaded a Visual Voice Mail program that helps alot.

Also, the user manual is a joke, but this is probably true for all Android phones. It doesn't explain much of anything at all how to use the phone's features, other than getting the battery put in and charged to get it running. However, I did find out later that they have a few useful videos on their web site, and a user forum (seemed fairly useless to me), but it still leaves so much unexplained about the phone.

As an Android web device it is pretty good. It is very fast and functional for running apps. The 4G service is three times faster than my home DSL line, when I can get the service, which has got me thinking about upgrading our home internet service. There are all kinds of apps that are freely downloaded to make your life easier, and makes the phone fun to play with. I can actually read magazines and books quite well with the Kindle reader app. It is great at keeping you up to date on news and weather and the games are fun. Just wish it did a little better a being a phone.

PROS:
- 4G, when you can get it, is blazingly fast.
- Breathtakingly beautiful screen, which makes looking at my photos on Picasa a real pleasure. Much better than Droid Bionic.
- Has Ice Cream Sandwich.
- 32 Gig storage. For me this is more than enough.
- Fast and responsive.
- Run apps great.
- Looks nice.
- It was easy to activate the phone myself.
- Using the Verizon Backup Assistant it was very easy to move all my contacts from my old LG Dare to the new phone.

CONS:
- Only 5 home screens. My wife's Droid X has 7, and I think most do. I understand you can group ICONs on this phone, so that may reduce the need, but I like to use widgets and they take screen space.
- Poor data reception. My wife's Droid X will have 4 bars and I won't have any reception at all sitting in the same place. It can be also be slow to find service and occasionally the person I am talking to will say they can barely hear me while I can hear them perfectly.
- Horrible battery life. I haven't had it last overnight yet (and I've had it a month and use JuiceDefender). My wife's Droid X last 2-3 days. Some times I only get 3-4 hours of moderate use, and that is just normal stuff, no videos yet.
- It can over heat pretty easily. It can get uncomfortably hot near camera at times, a few times while it was just sitting in stand-by.
- No real accessories. I would like a charging dock and a functional car dock at least. The battery needs charging all the time.
- Almost NO preinstalled apps. Some will think this is a PRO, but for me it is a CON. I had rather have standard apps installed and ready to go rather than go looking for them. Plus, I would expect them to be tested and work perfectly. You can always uninstall if you need the space, but 32 gigs is a lot of space and apps take almost no space.
- VOICE DIALER is broken and you can't set features on it (such as confirming commands before acting on it) or train it for your voice. This is basic functionality for me. Customer service said to find a third party replacement. Please don't confuse this with Google Voice Command, which works great, but doesn't work with Blue Tooth ear pieces.
- Notification for voice mail could be a lot better, but there is some.
- Only 5 megapixal camera. ??? not sure why when they have a good 8 mp camera.
- No SD card slot. Not much of a deal for me, but when I upgrade to the next phone it would be nice to just eject my music and pop it in the new phone.

** If I had it to do over, I would probably get the Motorola Razor Max or iPhone. This phone is not ready for prime time. Some have said a fix is coming out in March. I hope so because I will be stuck with a marginal phone for two years otherwise.

P.S. I noticed that the battery life can change dramatically, and other reviewers have indicated various levels of battery drain. I assume this may be due to apps running in the background that haven't been properly terminated or continue updating. Once I noticed when I pulled my phone out of the holster it was a bit warm, even though it was just sitting on standby for an hour or more, and the battery was very low. Some days it lasts long (50% left at end of 12 hrs), some days not so long (dies after 3-4 hours). I ended up installing a battery saver program (JuiceDefender) and it seems to have made a substantial difference in a stable battery life. The app measures how much batter it saves you, and my short experience has ranged from x1.03 (mostly asleep on charger) to x2. My perception is that it is a fairly accurate assessment, even though some have said that ICS doesn't need battery management outside of ICS.

Update 1/24/12: Someone suggested I try out Google Voice account, which apparently can even translate to text and avoid the need to call Voice Mail at all. Sounds like a great idea to me.

I still am struggling with the Voice Dialer accuracy. It still seems to dial randomly out of my contacts list. I have been trying to work with Samsung customer support, but so far no luck (except they pointed out the activity bar at the top of the screen for voice mail with tiny tiny icons). The nice thing about a Droid phone is that there are so many apps that there is a good chance I might find one that can fix my problem by replacing Voice Dialer, but Samsung should have tested theirs out better before releasing it in the first place. Eventually customer support suggested I find a third-party replacement or wait and hope an update comes out to fix it (they had same problem).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Android Phone, December 23, 2011
Sam (Walnut Creek, CA) - See all my reviews
I am not going to make claims about this phone being the best Android phone or any-phone killer. There are far too many great phones available today IMO to make such claims. Today's LTE phones all offer great performance and distinct features that I believe can be customized to suit almost any user's needs. Brief backgroud on me - I came from the Droid Eris running CM7 (gingerbread 2.3.5) and have used many blackberry devices provided by my work over the years. I have also spend a good amount of time on friend's og DROID (1) and DROID X. There are some things about HTC Sense that I loved (dial pad) and some things about CM that I loved (customization). I have never really taken to motoblur.

For me the Galaxy Nexus (GN) is wonderful. I appreciate the clean and updated ice cream sandwich (ICS) platform. I have loaded maybe 45-50 apps, with 10-15 used daily. The phone is very snappy and apps load very quickly and run very smoothly. This includes several graphic intensive games. Internet speeds are fantastic, especially coming from a slow phone with 3G speeds. Whether one phone has a slight speed advantage is meaningless to me - after all these are LTE phones we are talking about and download speeds are as fast if not faster than my home network. More important are the user features and the interface of the ICS browser is great. I love the swip to delete notification - very handy - and the overall interface is very intuitive. Definitely a step-up from gingerbread. I know the RAZR and other phones will get ICS, but given the industry's slowness in upgrading software I did not want to wait. Other points about the GN - I love the camera, the screen is sharp and the colors really pop. I even feel that the contrast in day light is reasonable as well. As far as battery life, I have been getting about a day's use. I charge the phone at night and the battery has been getting to a 15-25% battery level by the end of the day (18 hours) without any need to charge mid-day. I would call my use light moderate (~2 hrs on phone, no more than 20 minutes/day on games, 10-20 minutes internet/searching, 20 minutes on google maps, 20-30 minutes on various emails/facebook/calendars, occasional pictures. This also includes downloading of apps, which I have been doing more lately because the phone is new.

I have had limited experience with the Droid RAZR and Rezound (about 40 and 20 minutes on each, respectively, at Verizon store). I found the RAZR to be a great and snappy phone as well - but the camera just always seems to give blurry images. I also did not like the fact that you could not switch out the battery (again personal preference). For me, not having a microSD slot does not matter. I agree with the direction google is taking with the GN - all internal memory. I never liked having to manage internal/external memory - the simplicity of the new design is an improvement for me. The Rezound looks good on paper, but it is definitely bulkier than the RAZR of GN. It took great pictures, but I felt the Sense UI added a bit of choppiness to the interface. I have had issues with the Eris with the dialer (it takes sometimes 30-60 seconds to disconnect from one call and get on to another), and the Rezound felt a bit slower in dialing than the RAZR and GN.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great so far, December 20, 2011
Just got this phone yesterday, it took me a while to choose between this phone and the razr, I am confident that I made the right choice with this phone. Comming from a tmobile galaxy s this is a huge upgrade. This phone is so fast.

Pros:
Screen is amazing, big, bright, beautiful.
Speed, way faster than my old phone.
ICS
Virtual keyboard is perfect. (using it now)
Camera is great.
Verizon matched amazon price.
It just looks good.

Cons:
Battery (i even upgraded to the 2100), but i knew this would have crapy battery life going in to it so no surprise there.
No SD card option

Overall fantastic phone, I would do it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Stoked, December 18, 2011
Andrew Mcauliffe (Mobile, AL United States) - See all my reviews
I am not going to say very much about the Galaxy Nexus itself, actually.
There is no dearth of reviews for this phone on the Web.

In short (based on my previous three hours with it), this phone is very very nice.

In my opinion, Ice Cream Sandwich is beautiful. They've really done a good job here. It will take me a couple of days to re-train myself in regards to a handful of operations, though I am familiar with many of the UI tweaks from using my Motorola Xoom running Honeycomb.

My main reason for writing is to chime in that I too was able to get my local Best Buy to price-match Amazon Wireless' price ($200 for upgrade). This seems to be the way to go at the moment. This morning, Amazon Wireless said the GN ships in 8 to 9 days. Now it says 1 to 2 months! Holy cow!

1.0 out of 5 stars worthless as a phone, March 6, 2012
returned this today, very bad signal 4g kept dropping and 3g wouldnt pick up. battery life was terrible unplug from the charger and 6 hrs later its dead without using it, if you do use it lasts about 2.5 hrs. very quiet phone, had to hold it a foot from my face to hear netflix, and that was turned all the way up. don't waste your money

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone on the market, January 28, 2012
First of all this is DEVELOPERS phone. Meaning if you want it to work flawlessly, ya gotta do some tweaking. You want better battery life? Root the phone, try a custom ROM & Kernels. Or if you dont want to do that...Shut off GPS/Bluetooth when not in use. Dont let Google+ auto upload your pics (BIG battery drainer). Turn off sync, unless you find it necessary. Make sure you have "back up my data" option unchecked (another big drainer.) Try NOVA launcher, much better than stock.

I get 24+ hours out of my normal battery with moderate use. I have NO signal issues at all. If you have bad battery life or poor signal, learn how to use the phone correctly. If you do know how and still have problems, bring it back for a new one. Simple.

4.0 out of 5 stars An android 'enthusiast' reviews the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, November 7, 2012
DISCLAIMER: I'm not an android fanboy. I'm an android enthusiast. I love most everything Google does. I can go on and on and on about what I like and what I don't like about android but since this is supposed to be a review of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus Phone on Verizon... I'll stick to the relevant points only and try to keep this review as objective as possible.

I have been using my Verizon Galaxy Nexus since last 8 months. In that period, my phone was upgraded from 4.0 (ice cream sandwich) to 4.1 (jelly bean). I used to like my phone when it had ICS, I like it slightly more now since it got upgraded to jelly bean. This is my first 'nexus' phone. I used EVO 3D before this, and EVO 4G before that. So this is also my first Samsung phone.

As far as the hardware fit and finish is concerned, I have no complaints from this phone. Both my previous HTC phones would show light bleed from the edges of the screen... not an issue here. Also, the battery cover mechanism of Galaxy Nexus is much better than both my previous phones. I love that I can take the battery out (if need be) easily but as soon as I snap the battery cover back in place, this phone feels as compact and as sturdy as something that doesn't have removable battery (say iPhone). This phone has been dropped on more than one occasion (I have a one year old) but it seems to handle those well.

I like the screen size (4.65 inches) and the pixel density (316 ppi). I do not like that the screen is non-LCD because under 'automatic brightness' settings, whites do not appear as whites! This was never the case with my previous HTC phones. I also do not like the on-screen navigation buttons because they reduce the effective screen size. Now I agree that the on-screen navigation buttons disappear when I'm watching videos on youtube, thereby giving me the full enjoyment of my 4.65 inch screen... but they do not disappear when I'm watching videos on vimeo. More importantly, they do not disappear when I'm playing games. While playing games, it is very easy to accidentally hit the on-screen home button than a physical home button, thereby ending my game without saving it. I understand that Google wanted to go the route of having the navigational buttons on-screen because it wanted to provide a uniform user experience to the end user across all the devices from different manufacturers. But what it ended up doing was that I have to carry a larger phone and I get to enjoy a smaller (effective) screen. The Samsung Galaxy S3 for example is slightly smaller than the Galaxy Nexus but provides a larger screen (4.8 inches)!

Listening to music on this phone when not using headphones (using the phone's in-built speaker) is not loud enough. I'm again comparing this with my previous HTC phones, both of which were amply loud. Once you place the phone inside a cup though, the volume magnifies as the cup acts as an amplifier by distributing the sound waves in one single direction (found this on lifehacker dot com).

Camera on this phone is acceptable. Outdoor photos are nice. Indoor photos are acceptable. It does record videos at 1080p but can not keep up with moving subjects very well... I notice a lot of screen skipping when watching 1080p videos of my 1 year old.

Battery life seems to be okay as long as you don't encounter any "Mobile Network Signal" red bands. I don't know what else to call it, but you can find this in the battery settings, click on the chart and it will show you all the various programs that used your battery. I have noticed that every once in a while, my phone will lose almost 50%-70% of its battery life in less than an hour when it was simply sitting on my desk. And when I dig into the battery settings, I always find this "Mobile Network Signal" showing as red for the time interval when my battery life was dropping like a rock. I have googled this but have not found a reason or resolution. On the bright side though, this happens less frequently now than it used to happen back in March 2012.

I love the new 4.2 jelly bean feature 'Google Now'. Google Now shows me situational cards in the notification area... for example, when I'm getting ready for work in the morning... it will appear in my notification area and inform me about the estimated time it will take me to reach work based on current traffic conditions. Similarly, it will pop-up in the evening informing me about current traffic conditions on my way to home. And what I like here is that I never entered information about what time I leave for work or come home or where my work address is? Google Now observed my behavior for a few days and started appearing in my notifications area on its own. Google Now also scans through my emails (100s of emails I might add) and picks the ones that contain any shipping tracking numbers or flight confirmations or hotel reservations and then capture that information into a Google Now card and display it in my notification area and allow me to take action (track an order for example). This is much easier then having to open gmail, searching for that order shipping notification email, then clicking on the tracking number. I can disable Google Now very easily if I don't want it. But I like it so far... this is what the future should be like. You can also ask Google Now questions about the distance from moon and weight of earth and meaning of life and stuff (aka Siri) but I never cared to do that. Because I already know all those things.

So to summarize, I like my Verizon Galaxy Nexus but I'm not in love with it. Most of my complaints about this phone are related to Android and/or Verizon. I'm done with Nexus devices though... although I think that this was a very noble idea by Google, implementing it in the real world was not completely in their hands and it shows. My next phone will be the new LG Optimus G on Sprint. Am I done with Samsung? Not at all. I love my Samsung TV and I will be buying the next version of Samsung note tablet. Am I done with Verizon? Probably yes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrible when purchased; update makes the phone worthwhile, September 7, 2012
zlionsfan (Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
I originally had an HTC Incredible through Verizon, but once it started experiencing the nightly restart cycle, I knew it was time to get a new phone - from reading many posts about the problem, I figured neither Verizon nor HTC would be of any help.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire I jumped. The Nexus could be a nice phone. It has a bigger screen, theoretically has faster speeds with Verizon's 4G network, and should be able to take advantage of having a better OS (given that no one seems interested in updating two-year-old phones).

But ... there are problems all over the place. Some of them are minor, like the changes to the OS itself. Google seems to think that, just like with desktop apps, fewer explicit decisions are better. They'll just try to predict what you want to do and present you with only those controls, and you can guess where everything else is. Guess, because they won't say. Can't figure out how to connect to a wifi network? Touch the Wifi section of settings - not the right side, but the left side. Where do you find this out? Online, from all the other people who couldn't figure out this counterintuitive system.

It gets worse. The ringer is significantly quieter than the Incredible's, even on the highest setting. I will miss calls if I am not right next to my phone. Of course I might miss the calls anyway, depending on whether or not I can get a signal when I am sitting on my sectional at home in a spot where I have never had signal problems ... nor should I, because my house is in the middle of a gigantic swath of supposed 4G coverage. However, signal problems persist. I've had a number of calls drop without warning when I am not moving at all. Never had this problem with the Incredible or with other carriers.

Naturally, the battery drains like a flushed toilet, even though I have an extended battery and have wifi and GPS turned off (which makes it even more of a pain, now that I no longer have unlimited data.) And I don't mean oh look, the battery indicator shows that there's 20% left when there's actually 40% left. I mean oh look, my phone is dead again because I didn't charge it last night before I went to bed.

Looking up these problems online, I find the same old story: Verizon says it's Samsung's problem, Samsung says it's Verizon's problem, and no one seems willing to reach out and say "Here, let me fix this for you." I am beginning to believe that the entire wireless market in the US is just one giant scam. That may not be the case, but I certainly can't find a reason to continue to work with Verizon after this experience, and I would not recommend this phone, at all, to any other Verizon customers.

UPDATE: It's now October, and Verizon finally admitted there was a problem with some of these phones and pushed an update out for them. I no longer have signal problems when sitting in my house, my extended battery lasts more than half a day, and I haven't had a call drop since the update.

The OS changes are still disappointing - "home" is now the entire five-section screen instead of only the middle section, so touching home when on one of the outer sections no longer returns you to the middle, for example - but that's to be expected from Google. The phone itself is now what I expected when I bought it, and I would recommend it to other Verizon customers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Vanilla-OS experience on Americans Best 4G network, September 3, 2012
When companies advertise their phones with the "latest and greatest android OS" you have to take that with a grain of salt. HTC, Sony, Samsung all use skins on top of the existing Android OS platform to "personalize" the phone for said-company. Often times the additional layer of software features will slow down your phone or cause it to hiccup. So keep that in mind when looking at phone specs.
The Nexus series are google-branded phones which are vanilla. Meaning that there is no layering of additional software on top of the Android OS. What does this mean?-Pure, unrivaled speed of your device. You can push it to its full performance. The Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon is the very definition of a well-balanced price point phone with specs that are above average even by today's standards.
The phone's battery life is solid. The standard OEM lasts about 8 hours of HEAVY usage. The extended life battery will last about 10 hours of HEAVY usage. If you are like most people, you have a car charger for your phone. So you never really have to worry about running it completely dry. The ICS (android 4.0.0 OS) is extremely user friendly. It's easy to personalize your home screens, make phone calls, send text messages and surf the web. Verizon's 4G LTE network is, without a doubt, the BEST 4g network in the U.S. At times I get over 21mbs download and 18mbs+ on upload. It's insane.
Even with the new 2012 phones coming out the Galaxy Nexus 4G is a solid investment. It has a huge screen, 32GB of memory, vanilla operating system and the google branding. Get this phone. You'll be happy that you did.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Verizon variant is not a true Nexus device., September 3, 2012
BevoChan (Boston South End, MA) - See all my reviews
If you want a Nexus device, do NOT buy the Verizon version. Nexus devices are supposed to get new early updates. Unfortunately, the Android 4.0.4 took about 5 months to get the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. The Jelly Bean has been out about 3 months, and it doesn't seem like it's going to be coming the Verizon Galaxy Nexus anytime soon. All the Nexus devices have already received this update. Now, there are few non-nexus devices that started to get the update.

If you don't care about having the "nexus" experience, then the phone is alright. But I probably would go with the S3 instead.

‹ Previous | 110 11 1226 | Next ›