5.0 out of 5 stars Not the pinnacle of new technology, but Android perfection (for now...)
(9/16/2013: Figured I'd put a cap on this review by mentioning I've retired the Galaxy Nexus in favor of a Motorola Droid Maxx, which very much feels like the Galaxy Nexus version 2.0 -- about the same physical size, nearly stock Android, superb all-day battery, great radios, and very swift and fluid.)

There are phones with bigger screens (Galaxy Note), faster...
Published on December 15, 2011 by Nathaniel Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid device crippled by certain issues
Ok so this is more of a 3.5. And mind you, this is going to be LEGIT because I've had this device for almost a month.

What I like a lot about the phone:

1) Size of screen - very easy to read!
2) ICS - very clean interface and runs smooth, not necessarily super intuitive, but very functional! I wish I could say I love the task manager button...
Published on January 21, 2012 by N. Gu

‹ Previous | 111 12 1326 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE! - This phone has issues., July 11, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I really, REALLY wanted to like this phone. After 1 month of trouble with one way call audio ("can you hear me? can you hear me?"), dropped calls, and extremely flaky 4G signal (friends with other Verizon phones have none of these issues while standing next to me), I have to rate this as one star and warn people against picking this up for $.01 thinking it is a good deal. I have audio problems or dropped calls on nearly every call lasting more than 5 minutes, and it has caused me a fair amount of embarrassment with family and work associates. If the thing would simply work as a phone without these issues, it would be a 5 star rating, but as it stands now, it is only useful as a small tablet. I spent several hundred dollars on antennas and amplifiers thinking it was a signal problem (new to Verizon) before I found literally hundreds of threads with a substantial amount of people also with the same issue. So after 1 month wasting a ton of time and money, I give up. To be clear, I do not think this is an issue with Verizon as much as a problem with the phone, but I could be wrong about that.

It remains to be seen what I can do about this, but I do not recommend this phone at all, due to the serious call issues and data signal drops. Before anyone flames me, do a Google search for "galaxy nexus one way audio" or "galaxy nexus dropped calls", this is not an isolated issue and NO it is not fixed in Android 4.0.4 OTA. I will update this review if anything changes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Screen scratched in a day., July 2, 2012
Screen scratched in a day. Other than that, one of the better phones for Android but nothing spectacular, there will be better by Q4.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice phone, February 6, 2012
I love this phone. It is everything that I had hopped and expected form it. It is my first android phone and my first Verizon phone sense the LG Dear. I have played around with a lot of phones in the Verizon store but it is just not the same as having one of your own to use.

Positives: This phone had a great screen Ice Cream Sandwich is a joy to use. The phone is very responsive. It seems like it has a good camera but I haven't used it much. Lots of great apps.

Negatives: Battery life is shorter than it should be. I was prepared for this and can live with it but I think they should have given it a bigger battery. The speaker on the phone could also be better. The volume is to low. It works alright if you are listening to music but if you want to watch a movie it really hard to hear. This is partly the volume but it is also caused by the speaker being located on the back on the phone so you need a hard surface behind it to reflect the sound around to the front if want to both hear and watch your movie at the same time.

Other Comments: No LTE in Montana but I don't mind 3G speeds too much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Near to Perfect Smart Phone, overall better than any nearest Rival, February 4, 2012
I have just completed one month of owning of Samsung Galaxy Nexus and I have no doubt declaring I am very happy with this. This is the best smart phone on the market for the time being until iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S3 releases. I had iPhone 4 for 2 months and I like many other people who could not be satisfied with beauty and fruit brand alone threw that 'dumb beauty' . For me that was more of a 'show off' rather than of practical use.

Apple itself in a recent patent suit directed against google termed this as the "most creditable competitor to iPhone'. Apple co founder which is not a apple employee anymore and hence free to speak truth freely declared iPhone easy to use but 'Android more feature rich'. He dismissed Siri totally saying he could not understand how come internet could be needed to make a call through Siri. Do I need to say more now? If yes then here is the detail review:

Like ->
(1) Bigger HD contour display-> Though you can distinguish between pixels while looking closely unlike iPhone's Retina display, Nexus's display is gorgeous. Colors are very vibrant and rich. Black is real black (because of Super AMOLED display technology) which creates the whole difference.
The Screen is large and with medium hands I can reach to the whole screen stretching the thumb or fingers. Sometimes I tend to use the other hand (luckily I have two hands and both are fully functional so can't complaint).

Because of bigger screen this phone is more useful or convenient for what Apple invented iPhone for ie Browsing web, playing games, watching videos. And because of this I tend to depend lesser on PC/laptop/tablet. With bigger screen, power and customization of Android OS this phone is closer to our old friend PC/laptop.

**I run the same HD video both on nexus and iPhone 4S and nexus one was better to watch.**

(2) Soul-> The soul of this device is ICS OS which is now equal to iOS in terms of user friendlessness but is better because it is much more customizable and hence you feel completely in control and power. This is different feeling than using dumb iOS. After using ICS I really struggled to use the iOS or same iOS based apps. ICS is lightning fast and smooth.
Face unlock, NFC, android beam and google wallet (not available on Verizon version) are very cool. Face unlock works perfectly.
Built-in Data usage monitor is very helpful for not letting you go above your data limit.
-> Mine is international unlocked version which within a week got automatically updated to 4.0.2 from 4.0.1.
This has Best notification, better customization for web browsing.

Ohhhhhhhh... did I tell you android has taken two steps which is miles ahead of time and going to change the things completely? (i) No Physical button-> The buttons are in fact part of OS itself and function well. Hence the buttons can now be context specific and smarter. They change their position depending on how you are holding the phone or what you are doing. While watching video they disappear completely giving you the whole screen for watching, and yes they will reappear on appropriate place when you need them. (ii) Same OS for all devices: Unlike Apple now same application can run on any device running on ICS. For apple the applications need to be written separately both for iPhone and iPad. That's why Apple has lesser applications on iPads. With new approach of ICS now people will just write once and run it anywhere hence number of apps is going to get multiplied faster on ICS.

(3) Eco System (Apps)-> Android eco system (or app market) is there on par with Apple eco system. In the same period I have installed much more applications ($150-$200 of worth in Apple world AND YES ALL FREE!!!!!!!) than I did on iPhone 4 (because most applications are free compared to Apple). I am more functional on Android than I was on iPhone 4. There is nothing which I want and its not there. And yes now google going to start monitoring of applications so less argument against Android apps.
(4) Form factor-> I like its form factor more than of iPhone's. Countered makes it more convenient to use and keep in the pocket. Now to me iPhone is just any another device and I look on iPhone with pity.
(5) Battery-> I need to charge it once a day with low to moderate usage which is what other iPhone 4S customers are also doing. And if you are going to use it like laptop you will need to charge it more (is not this same with your laptop?). Better part is unlike iPhone you can carry batteries and change it easily. No complaint here.
(6) Reception-> Decent.
(7) Call quality-> Nice.
(8) Volume/Speaker-> Low, could be helped with volume control plus application.
(9) More social-> Very well integrated with google.
(10). Build-> Except the battery cover everything else is of high quality. I don't care about plastic versus metal debate. iPhone even with metal and corning glass are equivalently fragile and people have been reporting iPhone being broken having dropped just from 12 feet or so. And with gorilla glass on both ends iPhone 4 is more fragile. Remember gorilla glass is just scratch resistant not damage resistant.
(11) Typing-> is a breeze and it seems to read you mind and hence make typing a different experience than on iPhone. And big screen helps every here again.

Unfortunately this phone decided to do have some deliberate suicidal traits perhaps to avoid wiping away other Samsung devices. So here are the things which could have been improved upon:
(1) Speaker-> Could have been better (Minor+ issue)
(2) Reception-> Though not much complaint, Could have been just a 'little' better (Very Minor issue).
(3) Camera-> Could have been better definitely.
(4) External Storage-> Either they should have allowed adding external storage or given the device with more alternated with respect to storage capacities. (Minor issue)
(5) Display-> Should not be able to distinguish pixels (Minor issue but this should be ultimate goal for the display)

Conclusion-> This is the best smart phone on the market for the time being if you can live with some minor issue with volume. And all issues reported so far with this device seem to be software issues and should get corrected with updates or third part applications.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but pretty darn close, and superior to everything else, December 29, 2011
I've read about how the Droid Razr has better this and better that, but there is no phone, short of the Galaxy Note (not available in the US), with a better screen than this one. Go download some 4MP+ abstract images and view them on this phone and you will be floored. The camera is outstanding. The camera software built-in needs an upgrade. The camera itself has far more capabilities than the software allow... a simple update will remedy this, or there are alternative camera apps available on the market now. Sound too quiet? I agree, so I got Volume+ from the market and now that argument is moot. The feel of this phone in your hand is unmatched. It's so slim (and I am sporting the extended battery) and sleek, with a nice texture on the back.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is a Nexus phone, so it's not expected to be perfect in every way on day one. The whole point of Nexus is to be a proving ground for new major versions of Android. Part of that process is identifying and ironing out bugs, shortfalls, and the like. As far as the hardware goes, I have had some issues with signal strength, but I do not believe those issues are entirely hardware related... if at all. People would be surprised how important the software is that drives the radios in phones. I have had Samsung phones in the past and have not had problems with signal strength, and I am confident those issues will fade away with a few key OS updates from Google. Why would Samsung suddenly drop the ball on the built-in radios on this phone?

Droid Razr, HTC Rezound, both great phones, but both hindered terribly by their manufacturer's OS overlays and locked nature. Not to mention Verizon... those phones are loaded with 'crapware', apps that Verizon forces that cannot be removed without rooting, if you can even root them, which is unlikely. Why do you think Verizon hasn't advertised the Galaxy Nexus more? Because they don't have as much control over it, they were only able to force Google into allowing two of their proprietary apps, one of which is actually useful. In addition, there is no Carrier IQ built into the Nexus, which allows Verizon to secretly track all detail surrounding the phone's usage. Not that they're fully abusing that capability... anymore at least... but you can't remove it.

Sure, those sweet phones will get Ice Cream Sandwich eventually, but this OS is so awesome and advanced that eventually is like telling an early adopter the prize gadget they've anticipated for momnths just sold out and will be back in stock in a few months.

I write few reviews, but after reading some on this phone I felt I needed to speak my mind. I love this phone, and feel it was worth the almost three month wait since I became aware of its coming. Android 4.0 is simply amazing. If ever there was an 'iPhone killer', this is without question it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Android Phone Available, December 28, 2011
I have owned this phone for over two weeks and I can say unequivocally that it is the best smart phone I have ever held. So much has been said about it so I will give a brief run down.

Pros: Screen, LTE, Ice Cream Sandwich, Build quality, Power, Speed, Performance, Battery on 3G and Wifi

Cons: Battery life on LTE, it doesn't print money?

Overall: If you are a Verizon customer or thinking of becoming a Verizon customer this is the phone you want by your side. It is incredible.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice phone when it works, but unfortunately unreliable, January 15, 2014
I've had this phone for 1.5 years and it's had several reliability issues. Would not recommend!
(1) Battery life is really bad - this was immediate. I've had to charge my phone all day at work. Even with minimal use, the phone seems to last at most 8-12 hours, so if you're out of the house/office/car you need extra batteries.
(2) Random restarts - the phone reboots itself randomly.
(3) Headphone jack issues - the phone started to think the headphones were always plugged in, preventing me from talking on the phone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice phone but not supported by Verizon, January 12, 2014
Had this phone for over 2 years. Great phone except you can't have 4G going and still expect to make and receive phone calls and texts at the same time! You see the bars thinking you have good Verizon reception, but you actually don't! You then shut down your phone, reboot, and then it all comes back, for a while..... and you never know when it is gone again. This is a very common problem with these phones and the Verizon network. Which they seemingly don't want to fix. Check out the Verizon wireless forum for more in depth info about this. Being that Verizon couldn't fix my phone, I dowloaded an app that allows me to turn off 4G. So for a year and a half, I am getting all my calls, I get texts, but only plain texts. Texts with photos, attachments, etc are still blocked. Also group texts from others are blocked. These need 4G to work. So, great phone, but not in the Verizon network.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable and easy-to-use smart phone, August 13, 2013
Pros:
- Large screen with nice resolution, easy to read text and see pictures
- Great for photos, autofocus is great, picture adjustment options, intuitive and easy to use
- Almost never locks-up or runs slowly, even on WiFi, with several browser windows open
- Battery lasts about ~1 day with browsing internet, uploading photos, taking photos pretty regularly throughout the day
- Wide variety of applications to install from Google Play, easy installation and opening
- Great interface, easy to use, intuitive
- Thin enough to fit easily into pants pocket, even with my rubber casing

Cons:
- For those with small hands, some difficulty with using the phone with one hand - I often dropped the phone initially; get a screen protector/casing if you have small hands! Easily "slips" out of the hand if you don't have a rubbery type grip casing
- Standard ringtone selection is mostly soft and soothing, but only a few are loud enough to hear in a crowded room or on the bus/tram. Can be easily solved by installing other ringtones.

1.0 out of 5 stars Drops calls every time I'm on a call, July 21, 2013
I read the reviews and should have listened. Luckily I don't use my phone for business, but to drop a call every time is unacceptable. No wonder Verizon doesn't carry this POS anymore! I will never buy Samsung again!

‹ Previous | 111 12 1326 | Next ›