5.0 out of 5 stars Not the pinnacle of new technology, but Android perfection (for now...)
(9/16/2013: Figured I'd put a cap on this review by mentioning I've retired the Galaxy Nexus in favor of a Motorola Droid Maxx, which very much feels like the Galaxy Nexus version 2.0 -- about the same physical size, nearly stock Android, superb all-day battery, great radios, and very swift and fluid.)

There are phones with bigger screens (Galaxy Note), faster...
Published on December 15, 2011 by Nathaniel Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid device crippled by certain issues
Ok so this is more of a 3.5. And mind you, this is going to be LEGIT because I've had this device for almost a month.

What I like a lot about the phone:

1) Size of screen - very easy to read!
2) ICS - very clean interface and runs smooth, not necessarily super intuitive, but very functional! I wish I could say I love the task manager button...
Published on January 21, 2012 by N. Gu

‹ Previous | 112 13 1426 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Very short battery life and other problems, January 20, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I am an electronics engineer with 20+ years of working engineer. I got this phone immediately after it appears on the market.

1- That battery life on this phone is 4 hours at the best. This is a serious problem if you are traveling.
2- It overheats and you actually feel the phone getting hot.
3- I changed the phone twice with the same problems.
4- The software is fine, but that's vanilla Android.

This phone uses Samsung CPU and I think that is the source of high battery consumption.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, awful battery life, October 30, 2012
Very slick phone, the Jelly Bean update made everything even smoother and Google Now was very neat.

Unfortunately, the battery doesn't cut it. I found myself REQUIRED to charge it at my desk at work, leaving 4G LTE/wifi/GPS off, not syncing anything and leaving the screen at the minimum setting (or, blank-in-sunlight, as I like to call it). I even tried custom ROMs/kernels.

Needless to say, the battery makes this otherwise wonderful phone a dumb phone. You just can't use it that much and have to disable a lot of the features.
I ended up selling it after 6 months for something with a smaller screen and greater battery life. I regret purchasing this over the Razr MAX, which at the time didn't have an ICS update yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, October 30, 2012
So far I am enjoying this phone. I upgraded from a Droid Eris so it is a vast improvement. My Nexus is updated with Jelly Bean so it looks sleek. It does get a little warm at times, but not a concern yet (had phone for 3 weeks now). Battery could be a little better, but if you charge it overnight all should be good. Audio wise - when playing music it could be louder, when watching videos audio is ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nexus, October 22, 2012
I have to say,I really like this phone,I am no expert,I like the screen size like how quick i can access internet,messages,text etc,no complaints here performs as promised..........now the suprise for some (I am an average user,dont play games on this dont feel the need to load it up with apps,turned the wifi off)and I average a couple of days before it needs charging,I note this as there have been alot of complaints about battery life,I have the standard battery in place and was alittle cautious about this phone,(bought my wife a Razr Maxx due to extended battery life) running flat quickly,BUT read a great review and video review from another user and followed his advice to conserve energy and it works.
The screen is great,its large and crystal clear,takes really good pictures front and back,obviously the rear is better,but front works well for skype.
Keyboard is responsive and accurate texting is quick,my wife downloaded an app (and I have downloaded 3 total) for ringtones and that works without issue.
I bought a case from a vendor on Amazon,didnt want to pay Verizon $25+ for the protector shell and holster from them when I could buy it on Amazon for $7.50,I also bought a very inexpensive protector case aswell with a 'guy'type blue skulls design and much to my suprise that case fits in the same holster as the protector shell does too,albeit snug but it works.
Dont have any technical info to add I just like the phone and it serves my purposes,however,I did pay attention to ALL reviews and did add a LONG warranty just in case!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best smartphone I've ever owned, October 16, 2012
Amazon Customer (San Lorenzo, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Although this phone is large, it fits well in my hands. People with smaller hands might not like it so much, but I love the size. The screen is big and beautiful, and movies look superb. The camera is good; the everything else (and there is a lot of that) just works, and works well. Only one nit to pick: Verizon should STOP BLOCKING GOOGLE WALLET.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., September 24, 2012
Solid phone. Just casting my vote. Hundreds of other people have listed pros and cons, so why rehash what they've written?

3.0 out of 5 stars good software, bad hardware, September 24, 2012
Stock android is the best experience on any phone. ICS is the best (And 4.1 is even better) but the big let down about this phone is the hardware. 95% of the time when i made a call or someone called me id drop the call. I went to 4 different verizon stores and they all said it was samsung's radios ( on verizon motorola has the best radios). So in the end i got rid of the nexus and picked up a droid razr maxx. Yes it sucks having a locked down phone but at least now i can make calls.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 Stars, July 21, 2012
Switched from HTC EVO for Sprint. First thing I noticed is that sound is not as clear as it was with the Evo on Sprint. My friends couldn't tell the difference that I have a new provider and phone. I've tried it, with and without Bluetooth ear peace, but there was no diference. Is it the phone, or the Verizon, I don't know. Internet is insane fast. Twice as faster then my home cable. I drive semi truck and I need a good internet connection, because after every delivered load, I need to go online and find another one. Sprint drooped the ball couple times and that is the why I switched to Verizon. I hope their better coverage is for real.
Phone is very fast, don't freeze at all. Its light, the screen is very good, the battery is average. The 1 penny price is what make's it, THE BEST DEAL.
I'll give him 4 stars, because of the sound quality. If that is a Verizon issue, then the phone deserve 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unsafe HOT Battery, July 15, 2012
The sound is poor not loud at all!. Battery gets very hot quickly with average use. To the point when you hold it up to your ear it could burn you. I have researched other reviews by owners of this phone that also state the battery gets very hot. I was told by Verizon that this is UNSAFE and indicates that something could "pop in the phone". These were the exact words of a Verizon rep. The display even when set to the brightest possible, is still kind of dim. The camera is bad too. Pictures are not CLEAR. If you've ever had a cell with an 8.0 mp camera, you WILL notice the vast difference. The phone also does not have a timer, which was something that was important for me as a user. Returned for a Motorola Razr Maxx, much better phone.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a lot of phone! (Apple has a good reason to be afraid!), July 7, 2012
I broke my Samsung Stratosphere by dropping it while walking, and thus had to get a new phone. Well, I decided to spring a few extra bucks for this guy. I'm really glad I did! I thought that getting used to a pure touch-screen interface would take a while (I bought the Stratosphere because of the slide-out keyboard,) but it didn't. I would say I had pretty much adapted within an hour or two!

This phone came with Ice Cream Sandwich, which is a tremendous upgrade over the Gingerbread OS that I was used to. Things seem much more refined. It looks like us Nexus users will be getting Jelly Bean in a week or so, which I'm looking forward to checking out.

Now onto some thoughts about the phone itself Even though it has a huge screen, it's pretty light weight and feels very balanced in your hand. The slightly concave screen makes for easier interaction with the touch screen. The AMOLED display is AMAZING! I have a much easier time reading smaller text on this than I do on my friends iPhone. The battery life leaves some to be desired. I could make it through most of the day, so long as I put it on the car charger to-and-from work. Picking up an extended battery is recommended for those who don't like charging their phone during the day.

As far as storage, this guy comes with 32GB of non-expandable internal storage. Since it's such a large amount, the non-expandable part ends up not mattering much to me. I've put plenty of music on this device, and I still have plenty more space!

While I'm not one to purchase a phone FOR the camera, having a nice one is certainly a nice perk. The camera here is 5 megapixels, and it's wicked fast! It'll snap off shots nearly as fast as you can tap! The picture quality seems to be great, if you're in ideal lighting situations, and just OK in non-ideal settings (I'd be upset if this were only a camera, but it's so much more!)

When it comes to the actual phone part, I have absolutely no complaints! Only praise! Call quality is great. I haven't had any problems with getting signal in places I'd expect to get signal. Since the 4G in my area is strong, I haven't had any issues with internet connectivity.

Ultimately, I highly recommend this for anyone looking for an Android device through Verizon!

**************************************************************************************************************
Personally Recommended Accessories:
Diztronic TPU case - adds minimal bulk/weight to the phone; good protection; Revision 3 took care of the issues with the cutouts for the buttons.
Samsung Extended Battery (2100 mAh) - Adds minimal bulk/weight to the phone. Allows one to go all day with medium to medium-heavy use without charging.
ArmorSuit Screen Protector - A wet-apply screen protector. ArmorSuit makes a high quality/high performance screen protector (I even use them on my PS Vita!)

‹ Previous | 112 13 1426 | Next ›