5.0 out of 5 stars Not the pinnacle of new technology, but Android perfection (for now...)
(9/16/2013: Figured I'd put a cap on this review by mentioning I've retired the Galaxy Nexus in favor of a Motorola Droid Maxx, which very much feels like the Galaxy Nexus version 2.0 -- about the same physical size, nearly stock Android, superb all-day battery, great radios, and very swift and fluid.)

There are phones with bigger screens (Galaxy Note), faster...
Published on December 15, 2011 by Nathaniel Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid device crippled by certain issues
Ok so this is more of a 3.5. And mind you, this is going to be LEGIT because I've had this device for almost a month.

What I like a lot about the phone:

1) Size of screen - very easy to read!
2) ICS - very clean interface and runs smooth, not necessarily super intuitive, but very functional! I wish I could say I love the task manager button...
Published on January 21, 2012 by N. Gu

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 526 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phone, with comparison to the original Droid, December 18, 2011
Kyle (Tempe, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
Length:: 3:23 Mins

Short video showing app loading differences between the original Motorola Droid and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (LTE). Like many I am upgrading from the original Droid that came out about 2 years ago so I thought this would be a good comparison for the video. Note: Droid rooted and running Liquid Gingerbread and cache is cleared for both.

To avoid repetition of the product description, I will refrain from talking about general specs and focus on my personal experience with the phone thus far. Since the OS has nothing to do with the quality of the phone and many phones will get ICS, I will mostly stick to the phone itself and not the OS, with the exception of the "vanilla" nature that's unique to the Nexus.

Positives:
-Some have complained about the screen being of lower quality than phones being released around the same time. Coming from an older phone the screen on the Nexus was a huge improvement so I was very pleased. Watching videos side-by-side with the Droid I could really see the improvement in resolution and colors were much richer and more vibrant. I also bought a Moto Droid Razr (Motorola DROID RAZR 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) as a gift so I was able to compare these two side-by-side. The Razr's screen is the Advanced AMOLED screen and when compared next to the Nexus you can see it is slightly better, although it is a very small difference. If I look at my Nexus by itself and then the Razr separately I can't really tell the difference. With that being said--pixels, sub-pixels, etc...who cares? I really don't see what the complaint is about, the screen is gorgeous and if I'm going to watch a movie I will do that on my LED TV.

-Having a Razr (which is basically spec'd the same as the Nexus) made for a nice comparison of the different OS versions. Basically, ICS is much snappier and loads apps and web pages faster than the Razr. It is much more user friendly as well (i.e., less confusing). This is in part due to the "vanilla" nature of the Nexus. It isn't filled with all of that bloatware and it isn't overlaid with buggy software such as what Moto and HTC use. The Razr is an amazing phone, but I found the Motoblur (or whatever it's called now) to cause lag when navigating back to the home screen. So, although phones like this will eventually get ICS, they will still have junky software layed on top of ICS and this is a huge bonus for the Nexus! [Assuming we aren't rooting :)]

-Getting the GPS location is much quicker on the Nexus because of the built-in barometer which allows GPS satellites to gather your location easier.

-Heat dissipation was good and I felt no obvious warmth coming from the phone after continuous use for a few hours.

-Call quality was good and I found no problems with it.

-The zero shutter time is very cool, although without some practice this can be a negative too (see below).

-To my surprise the facial recognition works quite well and really only fails in low lighting.

-Visual it is beautiful and the size/weight are amazing. I forget it is in my pocket and it is very comfortable to hold in my hand. And I really, really like the curved aspect, which I thought I was going to hate. It is very subtle. When the screen is off, the front of the phone is all black and looks sleek and professional. The back is dimpled just enough to give some grip but still feels smooth when you rub your fingers across it.

Negatives

-Radio. I don't know how other Samsung phones perform, but in my house the Nexus always has less signal strength than my Moto Droid and the Razr. And I can't get 4G connection at all, which is probably a limit of the service itself. I get full 4G a few blocks away. Still, 3G and 2G strengths are not as good. This was probably my biggest disappointment with the phone as this is what a phone is ultimately used for-to make phone calls. With that being said, it rarely crosses my mind because it still functions just fine and I haven't had any dropped calls. UPDATE: Just found out that Verizon understands that this is a problem and there is a fix on the way! Great, I guess these little problems are to be expected when early adopting.

-The camera. When I saw that the Nexus was going to be a 5 MP camera I thought to myself "Hmm, that's odd, but who cares because MPs don't matter and if I want a good picture I will just use my DSLR camera, right?". Well, yes, but I still want to be able to take decent picture for uploading to social sites, etc. Unfortunately, the pictures quality just isn't that good. It isn't horrible, it just isn't any better than my Droid, which is two years old. Now onto the zero shutter speed, which is a very cool feature and one I imagine they couldn't do without dropping the camera to 5 MP because of the additional time it would take to store 8 MP (maybe?). It works great; however, there is no dedicated camera button so you must push the button on the screen to take a picture. Well, since it is zero shutter time, by the time I get my hand up to steady the camera after tapping the button, the picture has already taken and it comes out blurry! The only solution I have right now is to really steady the phone with both hands and hit the button with your thumb. Though, the pictures are sometimes slightly blurry even after that.

-The speaker. What a tiny, puny speaker. The speaker on my Droid is at least twice as loud as the Nexus. Turned all the way up, I have a hard time hearing it from across the room. I will never understand why they included such a weak speaker. To keep the size down? They assume we all use headphones or external speakers? Who knows, but it is unfortunate.

-Battery life. Negative? No, not really, more of a neutral. I knew coming in that more processing power and a better display were going to eat battery life. You will be charging your phone midday if you are using it heavily, by which I mean watching videos or listening to music non-stop. 4G/3G really has nothing to do with it. It's just when people use 4G there are watching more video, etc., and thus their battery dies quicker. Get a car charger, spare charger for work, an extra battery, or the extended battery and you should be fine. I have only had to charge in the middle of the day once and that was the first day because of heavy display use. As an example, I charged my phone and unplugged it before going to bed. Waking up (8 hrs standby) there was only ~10% battery used and my battery lasted until the evening with my normal use, which consists of checking email and reading news.

-No USB mount, another neutral. Because of this only media files (music, video, photo) can be transferred via USB from your computer to the Nexus. That means no apps' backup files from you old phone or anything like that. At first I thought this was going to be a huge negative but now it really isn't that big of deal because of a great app called AirDroid that lets you transfer files over you home wi-fi network connection. Or you can use something like Dropbox or Box.net.

Conclusion
No phone is every going to live up to the Holy Grail expectations that people idealize about. So, of course, this phone has some negatives, but the positives really do outweigh the negatives in a big way. Especially if you are upgrading. I feel like I went from a tube to an LED TV. Vanilla ICS is delicious and one of the greatest things about owning the Nexus (again if you don't root). So, if you are in the market for a new phone and enjoy having the latest and greatest then I highly recommend this phone, but you better act fast because I'm sure something much better will be out in 3 months :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Already malfunctioned after 1 month!, June 29, 2012
jumpy1 (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
These reviews are obviously cell phone store owners! Screen is not working well with green and pink and black lines across it after only one month. The extended battery only goes for four hours, so I have to plug it in everywhere I go and carry another battery. Signal gets lost and calls are dropped in the same areas where the motorola phones don't drop calls, so clearly the signal is weak. The sound is poor also, so poor that it's impossible to use as a GPS because you can hardly hear it unless it's close to your ear. This phone is a debacle. Going back to Motorola, what a joke.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible as a phone, great as a toy, April 12, 2012
I really wanted to like Google's flagship phone; I tried. I've had an iPhone, and am no fanboy of either Google or Apple. But, after nearly 4 months, I just am tired of this thing. It's awesome as a device, but is horrible as a phone. I had a $20 Wal-Mart flip phone for a year (after ditching my iPhone), and the phone quality was much better on that cheap little thing, than this $800 phone. Yes, the nexus can play great video, but it seems Google forgot that at the basis, this is a phone, not a tablet. I signed a two-year contract to get the discount, or else I'd be back with my flip phone, instead of trying to make out the garbled audio, if i'm lucky enough to 1) get reception, and 2) the battery hasn't died yet (ok, i do have a car charger, but seriously, this battery is horrible).

Pros
-fast processor
-great screen/great video
-fast 4G LTE connection
-shutter speed is nice

Cons
-battery life is horrible
-audible quality is terrible (both ways)
-updates NEVER happen...maybe that's Verizon's fault, but I have more respect for Apple now, than I do Google
-signal strength is lacking
-camera is so-so
-$3/month for visual voicemail (am I cheap to rant on that, or is Verizon/Google cheap to charge for this)

I tried Apple....actually, I have more respect for Apple after my experience with the Nexus.
I tried Google...lost a customer (and, I seriously considered moving all of my business over to Google Apps, but it seems they have too much focus on the "next" thing, and not what is at hand).
I am honestly now going to go for WP8 when they move to Verizon on the 4G LTE.

5.0 out of 5 stars My search for a phone has ended..., February 22, 2012
I've never been a fan of the one size fits all style of the iPhone line. Like many Verizons, I got my first taste of something magical with the original DROID. It was awesome, yet even at the time...lacking. Android still didn't have that polish and though a keyboard option was nice, not for me(Thanks to Swype mostly).
Then I replaced my DROID with a used Samsung Fascinate trying to last to the end of my contract. Then as my contract neared its end, rumors of a Nexus on Verizon began to swell. I finally upgraded to a Razr and then exchanged it for a Nexus. Many things went into my decision, but the most important one was SOFTWARE UPDATES. Google pushes software updates to Nexus phones. Gone are our 6-9 month update windows or the dreaded, will I even get an update. That paired with a truly awesome device was a straight up WIN. I'm in love with this phone. Buy it, unless they come out with another Nexus...then buy that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Phone Works Great for Me, February 21, 2012
Had my Samsung Galaxy Nexus a little a week now. My first Smart phone, so I had no prior versions to compare to. Had an LG EnV2 prior to this for over 3 years (great phone - built like a tank) - but felt it was time to upgrade. When shopping for this researched all curent 4G models, coming down to this and the HTC Rezound.

My observations:
> Screen size and control buttons. Many comments made on the fact some of the screen space is used for the 3 control buttons at the bottom. True . . . BUT. Found that when I downloaded and viewed a movie in landscape view it used the FULL screen - including where those bottons normally were. Worked fantasically to watch a movie on my plane flight yesterday. Screen looks just great. (To get back to the command buttons you just touch the power button briefly). So you do not lose that screen space - depending on the app.

> Battery life. All comments very valid, but some users have figured out that after a few full battery cycles (and I mean full: complete FULL re-charge to almost total discharge) the battery is lasting mouch longer now. Maybe because I have also learned how to setup apps and data better too. Not that you can get much more than a full day out of it, but do look at your settings. And in reading reviews on ALL other 4G phones almost every reviewer - of every other brand and model - complained about poor battery life on ALL of them - regardless of brand. I do not think this Samsung is any worse than any of them in this regard - and probably better than many. And there is a heavy duty battery available for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus - which is not true of many other models.

> Data usage. My Verizon plan offers 4Gb/mth. As a newbie to smartphones I may not have had settings correct - but on my 2nd day of ownership I used almost 1Gb while setting up my 3 email accounts. Still not sure why, but I think it was downloading all attachments and photos to memory in the background upon install. Just watch your settings - like how many days of messages do you really need to see.

> 4G Lte. Be careful of the hype. Using this phone in Irvine, CA - which is a fairly high-tech area - I rarely saw 4G connectivity. Now I am working in Northern NJ - still do not see much 4G connectivity. I have also had a Verizon 4G Mobile Hotspot for almost a year - I rarely see it connect at 4G either. In my experience - just because you have a 4G device do not expect that you will actually connect at that speed very often. Speed is great when you can get it.... but does not appear that it is being realistically supported as more and more people try and use their new 4G devices. 4g network cannot keep up.

> Case - yes phone is large due to the screen size and very thin, so a good case actually helps give you more to hold on to. (I was also told this about the optional extended life battery - it's thicker shape helps you hold the phone better). Doing some research I found the Diztronic Matte Back Black Flexible *Revision 3* TPU Case for this phone. Adds just enough thickness and rubbery feel to help hold the phone beter while offering some good protection. I also got the Halo screen protectors which fit the front perfectly (but be sure to follow install instructions exactly so as not to get any dust under it). With case phone is marginally thicker, but still thinner than others I have seen, and it fits perfectly in my pants pocket.

> Best feature - the use of voice==>text. In writing texts this works great - even without any voice training. Just speak clearly and it writes it all out for you. Amazing.

> Worst feature - Google Messaging program. Maybe I am not used to it yet, but it works nothing like the Verizon LG messaging I was used. No Inbox, no Sent Box, no way to easily copy or forward propr texts. Will send out a text before you are ready if you hit the wrong key. Not a phone issue (other than this it the programn it comes with) but find Google messaging very confusing and hard to work with.

Would say that most of the reviews here on this phone I would agree with. What is hard for me to know is how this phone really compares to all the competition. The only way to ever really know that is to have each for a couple of weeks to give a thorough test drive.

But so far I like what I see. Am interested is finding some good apps to use on it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Software, but horrible phone quality, December 31, 2011
I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Nexus as an upgrade to my HTC Incredible. In terms of software, android 4.0 is a very nice upgrade, however I am disappointed with the build quality and hardware of this phone. The camera quality is OK on this phone, not bad, but not the best camera on modern smartphones. Not a huge issue for me since I don't plan on taking professional photographs with this phone anyway. Another drawback on this phone is the extremely low speaker volume, even on full volume you can barely hear the ringtone or notification sounds, unless you're in a quite room. Also the vibration on the phone is barely noticeable, the phone can be in my pocket and if I am distracted I will not notice the vibration. The AC charger on this phone emits an audible high pitched noise when it is plugged into an outlet charging the phone or not (I am using my HTC charger from my Incredible to charge my galaxy nexus which has no audible noise). My biggest complaint about this phone is the volume rocker/button, it is slightly loose and makes a plastic ticking sound whenever you place the phone down onto a surface or move it back an forth which makes the phone seem very "cheap". A $700 phone should feel solid and not have loose buttons on it. After arguing with Verizon about this loose volume rocker issue for over an hour, they finally decided to issue a "final exchange", I received the replacement device and this one too has the same loose volume rocker issue. This was my first and will be my last phone purchased from Samsung.

Other than those issues listed above, this is an amazing phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SMART DEVICE, HORRIBLE PHONE, April 5, 2013
Biker Ed (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
Everything works well... except the phone. Crackles, pops, squawks, echos, dropouts, disconnects. Even after several software updates the telephone part of this device just plain sucks. Samsung? Verizon? God only knows. No wonder it was free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pure Nexus Device, December 7, 2012
Let me just say that I wanted to wait a few weeks after getting this phone, so I could do a Real Life review. (Well, I accidentally waited 5 months!)Let me just say that this phone is Awesome, the ONLY drawback is the battery life, in my opinion. This phone has tons of apps (like All Android phones), and the screen is big and Beautiful! Having the On-screen buttons worried me at first, but everything is runs fine. I also almost did not buy this phone, because of no Expandable memory available. I am glad I bypassed that issue, my Nexus came with 32GB of internal storage, and 1GB of Ram! I take plenty of photos, and videos, and still have tons of room for storage. (I still have not began to put music on my phone yet - but 32GB will be able to hold plenty of songs!) Also, just to let you know that whatever was pre-loaded on my phone, there was approximately 28-29GB free storage.
This phone works very fast for me, and everything is very fluid, 95% of the time! I love that it has ICS, and will be getting an upgrade to JB, shortly - (Cannot wait for JB) The absolute best part of this phone was that there is not a ton of VZW, or carrier pre-loaded bloat ware on it! My Nexus came with 3 apps from VZW pre-loaded, and that was it!
A lot of people say that the speake on this phone is not very good, but I just use an app called "volume+ free", to solve those problems.
The camera is listed as a 5mp camera, but in my opinion it is not too bad. As long as you are not using it in low light, or whatever your trying to photograph is moving a lot, then you should be fine. When I am snapping photos of and whatever I am focused on is moving, I just snap a bunch of photos at once, and then go back and erase the blurry ones. (this camera has no lag with the shutter button!) Also, since I'm on the subject of the camera, this phone does have a video camera which can record up to 720P, and it is very good. Also, my Nexus came pre-loaded with an app called movie studio, which is kind of cool, little video editor!
Now, for the one Con, this phone has. It's battery does not ever get me through a full day, but that may just be because of the 4G, I'm ALWAYS running it on, haha! So, I just carry my charger with me, and I keep a charger in my car. At this point I cannot afford an extended battery, but I may get one in the near future. I will admit, I am on my phone A lot also, so for people that may not be on their phone as much throughout the day, they may not need to carry a charger at all times.
Thanks, I hope this review was helpful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful phone, November 16, 2012
I bought this a few months ago in April 2011. After receiving an HTC smartphone for work, I can tell you the Nexus is one of the best phones on the market. It's super fast with a smooth, vivid screen and it's ridiculously thin. Yes, I was a little daunted by how big the phone is overall, but I quickly became used to it (even with my small hands). Not to mention, it acts wonderfully as a tablet.

The battery life seems to be the biggest issue with this phone. I ordered the extended battery from Verizon and can't believe it doesn't come with the phone already. I charge mine every night and it lasts through the following day. I'm fortunate that my car has a USB hub and my job requires me to drive all day so I can charge it at any time.

I haven't had any connection issues whatsoever. I live and drive all around Atlanta and haven't had any issues.

Overall, this is an excellent phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Geeks., June 21, 2012
Background:

This is my second personally-owned Android phone. This replaces my Sprint HTC EVO 4G of two years, and I much prefer the Galaxy Nexus to my work-assigned Motorola Droid 4 (physical keyboard or not). I've used Android 2.1 (Eclair), 2.2 (Froyo), and 2.3 (Gingerbread). I ran Cyanogenmod 7 since ~fall 2011 and then 7.2 RC's until replacing the EVO altogether.

Pro's:

--Phone is very thin.

--Clear, vibrant 4.65" Super AMOLED HD screen with higher-than-average resolution (720x1280 vs. the more typical 480x800).

--The ability to use small-sized system-wide fonts on the higher-resolution screen is great.

--Excellent LTE speeds when available.

--Voice quality in phone calls has been above average in my experience.

--Ice Cream Sandwich is rather nice once you get used to it.

--Phone zips between screens and changes between apps with little to no appreciable lag.

--Vibration works well--not overly powerful, nor too weak.

--Boots pleasantly quickly.

--802.11n WiFi radio works rather well for me (although some claim to have range issues).

--You can change out to a fresh battery when charging isn't an option (skipped the HTC One X for this very reason).

--I very much appreciate the mostly "Pure Google" aspect of this phone and lack of bloatware or carrier-implemented restrictions (although, technically, it's not nearly the "Pure Google" experience of a GSM Galaxy Nexus).

Con's:

--Perhaps *too* thin by default? (see next con)

--The smooth, hard, untextured plastic surfaces of this very thin phone definitely are too slippery; I can't hold this tall, wide phone in my largish hands without a case that adds decent grip-ability to the device without constant worry about dropping it outright.

--Super AMOLED HD is a "Pentile" screen; some users hate the technology, others see nothing wrong with it. I have fairly picky tastes when it comes to computer displays and have zero issues with it... but your mileage may vary.

--Battery life is fair-to-good with a decent LTE signal; worse than average with poor or no LTE signal.

--Speaker volume for media is a little too quiet for most of my podcasts.

--Notification light is on the bottom of the phone, not at the top... huh?

--I *almost* miss the SDcard support, but having ~28 GB of internal storage available works pretty well for me.

--On-screen ICS navigation buttons take a little getting used to--but at least they stay in the same place consistently. Unfortunately, the "Menu" button is now a symbol composed of three dots, and can be located at the top of the screen or at the bottom--entirely dependent on the application developer, and prone to be different between different apps. Very annoying.

Final Thoughts:

I really had a lot of doubts regarding the on-screen buttons, since I loved the fixed-in-place capacitive buttons on the EVO. I was also a bit nervous about Samsung phone quality, having read a great deal of rants about its supposedly lower-quality "plasticky" builds. I've been pleasantly surprised by the on-screen buttons not being a big deal at all (aside from the aforementioned "Menu" button's variable location), and the build quality of my phone looks to be just as good as anything I've seen with HTC or Motorola. I'm not a fan of the hard, slippery smooth plastic but that's fixed easily enough with a good silicone skin or textured case of your choice (my favorite: Incipio SA-204 Samsung Galaxy Nexus SILICRYLIC Hard Shell Case with Silicone Core - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black/Black). ICS has worked well for me, and I've rather enjoyed most of the changes to the Android interface and resulting differences in device operation in comparison to Gingerbread-based devices.

This late in the game it's probably worth checking out the new Samsung Galaxy S3, soon to be available on just about all US carriers. There are many similarities to the Galaxy Nexus, but the new dual-core Qualcomm S4 processor looks to be a nice upgrade.. enough of one to opt for a non-"Pure Google" phone? Not for me. But if that's your primary interest, and you don't have money burning in your pocket, you might want to wait and see what Google's next developer phone is for this year.

Bottom Line:

I really enjoy my Galaxy Nexus overall. It's not perfect, and it has its quirks, but they pale in comparison to the benefits it has over many other 6-10-month old devices. That said, it's probably more for geeks and phone hackers and less for "mainstream" users as it lacks the carrier-provided "hand-holding" software found on many other devices. I've found it to be a solid phone, and I am grateful I was willing to give it a try.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 526 | Next ›