5.0 out of 5 stars Not the pinnacle of new technology, but Android perfection (for now...)
(9/16/2013: Figured I'd put a cap on this review by mentioning I've retired the Galaxy Nexus in favor of a Motorola Droid Maxx, which very much feels like the Galaxy Nexus version 2.0 -- about the same physical size, nearly stock Android, superb all-day battery, great radios, and very swift and fluid.)

There are phones with bigger screens (Galaxy Note), faster...
Published on December 15, 2011 by Nathaniel Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid device crippled by certain issues
Ok so this is more of a 3.5. And mind you, this is going to be LEGIT because I've had this device for almost a month.

What I like a lot about the phone:

1) Size of screen - very easy to read!
2) ICS - very clean interface and runs smooth, not necessarily super intuitive, but very functional! I wish I could say I love the task manager button...
Published on January 21, 2012 by N. Gu

‹ Previous | 15 6 726 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this phone, despite a few downfalls, February 20, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I bought this phone the day it came out. My good friend does phone reviews for a living, so he gets sent all the new phones and tests them and writes aqbout them. I had bought the Bionic and he said I should take it back and wait for this one. I'm so glad I did! The phone has so many great featurs, and a few drawbacks also.

Pros:
-Speed: on 4g this phone is FAST. You can browse web pages, play games, and more with extremely fast sppeds!
-Battery: The phone gets bad grades based on it's battery, but I honestly haven't had many problems. Yes, it dies much faster than say my origional Droid, but the screen is HUGE and I'm using it much faster. The trick with the batter is to turn everything off you're not using (GPS, WiFi, bluetooth) and make sure you're email and social networking programs aren't updating at really close intervals. Do you really need your facebook to update every 15 minutes or can you update it when you open the app? I set all my controls to conservative limits and have been able to easily make my phone last a day. My husband has the HTC Rezound and his battery dies 2x faster than mine.
-Adroid 4.0 OS (Ice Cream Sandwich): This is the best operating system by far (except a few minor issues I'll mention in the Cons). It is so much more customizable. Anyone who has data limits will appreciate the "Data Usage" section where you can track your usage a and how much data each app is using. This in itself is awesome if you have say a 2 gig limit and find yourself going over. Same with the "Battery" manager. It tells you exactly what's using battery on your phone so you can try to readjust settings on various apps to reduce their battery drain. I don't use the Face Unlock feature because I frankly would feel like a dork holding my phone up like I was taking a picture every time I wanted to unlock my phone.
-Design: This phone is sleek and thin. Even with a case on it it still looks good and feels good. I've heard some people complain that the plastic on the back feels cheap, but I honestly always have a case on it so don't notice it.
-Screen: This has a beautiful, crisp screen. I watch Netflix on my phone and do a lot of browsing and gaming and LOVE the screen. I think it can easily hold up to the iPhone retina screen. I also love that the buttons on the bottom (home, back and recent apps) disappear when watching a movie. That extra space really does help!
-Ability to disable bloatware: I don't need all of Verizon's crap on my phone, I love that I can easily disable it. My husband has all the stupid Verizon apps on his Rezound that I could easily disable. Love it!

Cons:
-Sound: The sound quality is horrible. I always plug in headphones when watching movies or listening to music because the speakers are terrible.
-Lack of facebook integration: Seriously? What is going on here! I really miss having peoples facebook pic pop up when they called or having phone numbers from facebook populate acutomatically into my phone, or being able to access someone's facebook page and info from my contacts page. This was perhaps the biggest disappointment for me when I got this phone. Apparently it's all phones with Android OS 4.0, not just the Galaxy Nexus.
-Reception: When I'm standing next to my husband somewhere he'll be getting 4g with all the bars and I'll be in 3g with just one or two. Sometimes I can't even get reception and he can.
-Updates: Apparently this phone is supposed to be first to receive updates. Well I'm still running 4.0.2 and I know that 4.0.3 is out now with apparent upgrades to help with reception issues. Some web sites say this phone is going to go straight to 4.0.4, but I just expected us to get the first updates and am disappointed with this.

Overall I'm really glad I got this phone. After having it for a few months I wouldn't trade it for anything else out on the market and would recommend it to friends.

UPDATE May 29, 2012:

I'm still happy I got this phone over the other phones available at the time of purchase. I'm extremely frustrated with the connectivity! It takes forever to connect to 3g/4g. Sometimes I have to turn my phone off and on to get a signal. It drops calls quite frequently, very frustrating also. I am so happy I got a phone with a big screen though. I've been going to the gym and doing cardio and watching Netflix to pass the time, it's awesome to have a big, beautiful screen to watch on! I'm also frustrated with the lack of updates, my phone has not been updated yet and I've heard month after month that it's coming soon. I thought that was one of the benefits of getting this phone, be the first to get updates. I guess not. Anyway, still one of the best on the market, but be prepared for dropped calls and poor data signals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Galaxy Nexus is MUST phone for Mobile Hotspot and heavy data users!, February 1, 2012
I am new to Verizon Wireless, and to smartphones.

I had originally purchased a Motorola Droid RAZR in November 2011, along with the double-your-data offer -- 22GB -- with mobile hotspot capability.

The Droid RAZR phone has known problems accessing "https" websites, or secure websites, that require a user name and password (i.e. email accounts, online banking, etc.).

Verizon then switched me to the Galaxy Nexus phone, as it does not have any software adaptations by the manufacturer -- but is pure Google.

Two problems that were remedied:

(1) websites would start to partially load, or not load at all and would time out; solution was to go to "settings" then "apps" then "CLEAR DATA" on the "settings" app.

(2) phone would not charge properly when using USB cable or wall adapter that are aftermarket; solution was to use ONLY the OEM USB cord and power adapter for the phone.

Other than these two items, the phone has worked exceptionally well. Likewise, Verizon's 4G LTE is superlatively fast and the best network for internet data use.

I stream investment data in real-time, to my laptop from my phone as a "mobile hotspot," and having the fastest connectivity and internet on-the-go was a necessity. Verizon has not let me down.

The Galaxy Nexus phone is the best phone on the market, period.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, this phone is not all its hyped up to be, January 26, 2012
I bought the Samsung Galaxy Nexus with high hopes after reading all of the stellar reviews about its inky black screen, amazing Ice Cream Sandwich OS, and mature and refined version of android in ICS. I had the phone for my full 30 days, kept giving it another chance over and over again, and finally decided to return it and get a Blackberry Bold (gasp!).

The good:
* Android ICS os
* Very fast
* Integration with Google products
* Panoramic photos (actually made a lot of use of this!)

The bad:
* Battery life was abysmal
* LOTS of glitches and bugs! When dialing in an automated phone system, the numbers would register with the system differently than what I was inputting - tried several times with same outcome and ultimately found on an android forum that this was a problem for others as well
* Speaker phone was terrible
* Glare made the phone impossible to read when outdoors
* Size of phone is awkward for small hands (like mine!)
* Gyroscope is terrible! When you turn the phone you often have to shake it to get it to register than you've turned it to landscape and sometimes it doesn't work at all

THE SHORT OF IT:
I decided to wait for the next ICS phone to come out, instead of compromising so much on this one. I switched back to the Blackberry, which at least has very good reception, perfect email/messaging capability and decent battery. I'd rather have a phone that does the basic things well, than a phone that tries to do a lot and fails slightly in just as much.

4.0 out of 5 stars An OS revamp on some solid hardware., January 6, 2012
I was very torn between the Motorola Droid Razr and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I wanted the benefits of Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) but fell in love with the Razr's hardware from the first time I saw it.

I waited for the Galaxy Nexus, and I am far from disappointed, to say the least. I don't think it's too fair to focus just on the OS for this phone's review--many other Android phones will have 4.0 within a few months, so while it's a big selling point, it really shouldn't be the ONLY selling point.

The Galaxy Nexus (Nexus henceforth) is a very large phone, which may turn some individuals off from it. However, keep in mind that the massive screen size is also at the expense of the back, menu, home, and search dedicated hardware buttons that appear on most phones. This means that the screen size can be increased with less of an impact on the overall size of the phone. The size of the phone was one of the main reasons I hesitated upgrading from my original Moto Droid, but I have to say, due to the slim profile, it's not nearly the burden I expected.

Compared to my previous phone, which was built like a tank, the Nexus feels like a lightweight. It's not that it feels cheaply manufactured, but it certainly feels more fragile than I'm used to. I would imagine most smartphone users wouldn't notice this as much as me, given the heft of the original Droid, but it's worth mentioning. The phone feels nice in the hand, but despite the textured back, it can feel a bit slippery. It hasn't been a problem for me so far, but I have definitely noticed that the textured back is not very grippy.

Cell signal has been solid on the Nexus. I get about the same quality signal on my Nexus as I got previously on my Motorola Droid. When the bars are lower, the quality of signal (speed + reliability) remains high. I generally turn 4G off to save battery since I am not often in a 4G area. However, when 4G is enabled the speed is exactly what I would expect from Verizon: FAST.

The Nexus has slightly better than expected battery life. With a reasonable amount of use, I can get through an entire work day. 4G (which I generally leave off) may lessen the duration of the battery, but generally I find that I can make it through a full work day without needing to charge. (although I sometimes do anyway out of habit from my old phone's dying battery)

Speaking of the back of the phone, I am not a big fan of how the battery cover is removed and reattached. The cover is very flexible, but it does feel like it takes a bit too much force to pry it off or snap it back on. I wouldn't imagine it to be a problem, but it was startling the first time, when I installed the battery.

The screen is absolutely beautiful. In anything but direct sunlight, I have been extremely pleased with the colors and brightness of the screen. However, I tried holding it at an angle which reflected the sun more, and I basically couldn't see anything. Still, even outdoors in the bright sunlight, when not actively trying to make the screen look terrible, I was fine with its performance.

The camera is acceptable quality. It is good, but not great. It definitely doesn't match the camera from the newest iPhone, and there are other Android devices with better cameras, as well. I haven't had any issues with it, and I do like the ability to take photos more rapidly than I was able to on my older Android phone. I miss the dedicated hardware camera button found on my Droid, but because the lock screen has a shortcut to the camera, I'm finding that I adjusted quickly to not using a hardware button for the camera.

The sound is one of the weaker points, in my experience so far. I find myself wanting to turn the ringer/media volume up, even when it is maxed out, because the volume simply doesn't go that high. In-call volume was fine for me, even in a loud restaurant, but I have missed some notifications due to the volume being too low. This may not affect everyone--I have a tendency not to hear my phone anyway. This phone just seems a bit quieter than others I've used in the past.

The screen curvature was a strange thing to me, the first time I saw it. Honestly, it doesn't make much difference to me now. The Nexus is slim enough that I don't notice the curvature of the device in my pocket, unless I'm deliberately paying attention to it.

The review wouldn't be complete without at least some mention of the upgraded Android OS, so I will just mention a very small number of features I enjoy with the update, although that will barely scratch the surface of the new version's feature set.

The new lock screen is nice. Being able to switch to the camera directly from the lock screen is an interesting feature that I particularly enjoy. I don't use it that often, but when I do, I always think about how much longer it took on my old phone to get to the camera app and take my first picture. It's not instantaneous, but it's the closest I've seen on a phone so far. The panorama setting might come in handy, but I haven't put it to use yet, so I can't really comment. Facial recognition for the lock screen was good in my experience, but not something I'd want to use regularly, just based on personal preference. Frequent locking/unlocking using the camera will use (slightly) more battery than a slide to unlock, or password or pin, in most cases, and provides very little actual security, so I opt to use slide to unlock--also in part due to being able to unlock directly into the camera app.

App management has also been nicely revamped. Most things can be installed on the Nexus, but even stock apps like "My Verizon" can now be set to "Disable" which stops them from running, although they remain occupying your phone's storage space. Disabling also removes them from the app drawer, which is nice in my opinion. Grouping apps on your home screen allows you to store several apps in one "space" on the home screen. Tapping the top icon in this space expands the group as if opening a folder in Windows, showing all the shortcuts inside to various apps. The Nexus came configured with a "Google" app group, and I have since grouped several games into another group, as well as my Song ID (Shazam and Soundhound) into another group, so they don't take up as much home screen space.

The app switcher is probably my favorite feature of Android 4.0. Now pressing the app switcher button (one of the 3 on-screen buttons available at all times) shows an overlay including the name and a snapshot of all the apps you have recently run, allowing you to restore the state of those apps at any time. Swiping an app to the side removes it from the app switcher list. The number of apps available here is configurable in the setting, as well, in case you don't want too many background apps running at once. This has come in handy, although it has also made me aware that the back button no longer forces an app to close when exiting an app. It will still appear in the app switcher overlay, in most cases.

There are too many new features to really discuss at length at this time within Android 4.0. That is simply a taste of what's in store. There are changes to Android visuals, fonts, animations, notifications, and many other parts of Android. However, those will one day apply to any Android 4.0 phone. Therefore, I won't go any further into explaining them. Android 4.0 software reviews can be found all over the internet.

What is most important is that the Galaxy Nexus is a high quality phone. I WANT to rate this phone a 5/5, because I love it. However, part of that is likely bias from upgrading from the old Motorola Droid, which makes this phone shine even brighter. I do believe the Razr's hardware is slightly superior, but not enough that I would trade phones and wait for the Razr's 4.0 update. I very much enjoy my Galaxy Nexus, and am looking forward to the next 1-2 years of using it. The phone is definitely a 4-star device, maybe 5-star, depending on your preferences. It is definitely not perfect, but it's the best smartphone experience I've ever had, due to the combination of solid hardware and clean, usable software.

5.0 out of 5 stars Galaxy Nexus - LOVE It., December 27, 2011
Hi All -

I'm not gonna give some goofy anecdotal story like some Yelp reviewer that people seem to be into. I'm reviewing the phone. Period.

Quite simply, this is the best phone I've ever used. Including iPhones. Caveat here, I'm an avid android fan and am pretty against the way apple products are marketed and used - but that being said there is no argument that someone can rightfully make against how well made their products are, simple to use, and extremely polished for a large group of people. I just dont like the closed eco-system or the armies of people that buy them just because they are apple.

Moving on. The phone itself is gorgeous. I'm coming from the original verizon droid, the Eris, and then the original Incredible. Loved those little guys. But this phone makes those look like toys. The speed is fantastic in terms of operating functions. Everything is so smooth in terms of screen transitions and apps opening and operating. Couldn't believe the noticeable difference from previous phones and android versions.

Ice Cream Sandwich is phenomenal. Repeat, phenomenal. It's taken many of the handy features from custom launchers that were out there, and made it stock. ICS on this phone is also untouched by Samsung or Verizon. You're getting the real Android, and it's polished and gorgeous. Widgets are easier than ever to access. The launcher bar is awesome (no need to install third party apps to get that any more), and the recent programs view is handy too. Oh, and the redesigned notifications environment is smooth and efficient.

Pros -
-Amazing screen. Size, resolution, brightness, clarity. Just beautiful. Reinforced glass is nice too, really no need to put a screen protector on it and dull the clarity.
-Processor speed. Between dual core and the optimized ICS, this baby is smooth and fast. Coming from previous android versions, this was a real eye opener and i love it.
-Verizon 4G. Say what you want about verizon as a company, their 4G is ridiculous. It's like browsing on a normal computer.
-Stock experience. No Sense or Touchwiz or Motoblur mucking up the experience. Just Android.
-Newly redesigned software. The new Android 4.0 is so much more polished. Just a great experience.

Cons -
-Battery life. It's not terrible, and to be honest isnt a whole lot worse than my Incredible was. But that being said, it's still not great. Chalk that up to 4G, a huge screen, and beastly processor. It's a trade off you have to expect unfortunately. Not a deal breaker, just something to be aware of. I haven't had any real issues, but it is noticeable and I want to make an honest review. No product is perfect.
-Volume/Vibrate. I've read some issues with volume, but I havent had any big issues. I could use a stronger vibrate function. It's hard to feel when in a coat pocket.
-4G? This is not really the phones issue. More the state of the market. 4G isnt in all cities yet, and if you travel outside the big cities, you might not have coverage. Something to consider.

All in all, not much to dislike here. I think you'd be nitpicking in the grand scheme of things. It's the best phone I've ever used, and in my OPINION, the best phone available today. But, use you're own judgement and research and make a choice that's best for you. I definitely recommend this phone however.

Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Galaxy Nexus, December 18, 2011
This is the best phone on Verizon period. I dropped my new iphone4s from a 12 foot ladder at work and it shattered, literally. I should have bought the insurance... I did not . The VZW rep gave me a very "slight" discount for being a loyal customer, so I bought the Nexus. I am so glad I bought this. The screen is large and colors pop. The new operating system is beautiful and very fast. The build quality is good, but the iphone probably edges it out a little in quality, but the iphone is glass and breaks easily.. so it's probably a wash. The only con I could find was battery life. Get the extended battery. A screen this big uses the battery quicker than a smaller screen. 4G speeds are so fast, it's close to my home cable line speeds.. Lastly I love the ability to customize my phone. Android is MUCH easier than other OS's. This is really a great phone Overall I'm very happy! I love it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy Nokia Lumia 900 instead, April 18, 2012
As a replacement for my Iphone 4S, I briefly had this phone for 2 weeks. There were hordes of problems and I had to switch to Lumia 900 (see my review for it). While the Android is not a bad OS (but not superior in comparison to other OS either), the issue is with this phone's hardware capability. This phone suffers from two deal killers: (1) data connectivity issue and (2) battery problem.

Every time you do the internet, this phone "searches for" 3G, 4G and wifi constantly, for a few seconds. It is maddening. It is as if the 4G ends up being slower than 3G because it first has to search among 3G, 4G and wifi. Often times I had to disable wifi; but then it searched between 3G and 4G. Absolutely unusable. I thought I had a lemon but almost all Samsung phones had the same issue! (My friends' phones had exactly the same issues.) I made a big fuss about the issue and was finally able to get my money back, but the experience cost me so much headache and time. Samsung should really acknowledge the issue publicly and offer free fix (although I doubt if they are even aware or capable of solving this) if not a cash remedy. Shame on them.

Second problem was battery. This phone consumes battery like no other phones -- it depletes one in about 5 hours with very light activities. I had to buy 2 extra batteries and 1 extra recharge station (one in home, one at work) which is totally wasted money since I returned my phone. Unacceptable.

I switched to Lumia 900 and could not be happier. It is super-fast, crisp, with absolutely no data-search or data-drop issues. Battery difference is phenomenal. If you are making a transition like me from Iphone to something else, I suggest that you go for Lumia 900 directly rather than learning through a rather expensive experience as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Smart Phone on Market, December 29, 2011
There are tons of good smart phones on the market. Droid Razr, iPhone 4s to name a few...

This phone is different. Before I start, I have used the iPhone and have used Android ever since the Nexus One.

First off, the pros:

Screen: The screen is THE BEST screen I have ever seen on a device besides an HDTV. As I type this review, you will not find another phone with this perfect of a screen. Samsung always makes pretty good displays, but this 720x1280 Super AMOLED HD screen is off the charts. iPhone 4s has a pretty amazing screen, and this one is tons better. Colors are pure, black and whites are solid, and everything is so vividly portrayed on this 4.65 inch display. Next...

Ice Cream Sandwich: This OS is AWESOME. So much better than Gingerbread, it's not even funny. This is comparable to the leap that Android took with 2.1 and the Nexus One. The Nexus S (predecessor) wasn't very much of a leap at all, so I had a feeling this Nexus phone would jump pretty far ahead, and it did. If you don't know, the Nexus phones always come with a debut OS before any other Android device, and is usually pure Android, which is my favorite kind of Android. The animations are so rich and creamy, I feel really elegant with this device. The ways that ICS makes everything so easy tops Gingerbread in every way. Face Unlock, contrary to what others might say, is actually pretty useful, and if you can't unlock it with your own face, you have a back-up way of unlocking e.g. pattern, code... Next...

Camera: This kind of goes with the OS but others might integrate their own camera in their User Interface. The STOCK ICS camera has improved SO MUCH. The cameras are shot instantly; no more waiting a couple seconds to shoot another pic. They added Panorama view, which actually works A LOT better than I expected. The different settings and tweaks you have to make the picture better are awesome. Touch to focus, red-eye remover, they all work damn good. Next...

Multi-tasking: This also goes with the new OS, but it is so good that it will have its own category in my review. There are new soft buttons on the bottom, no hardware buttons to be seen. I have been waiting for this to happen. Contrary to popular pre-beliefs, the software buttons are RESPONSIVE, CONVENIENT, and BEAUTIFUL.

They will pick up the slightest touch. Also, when going into landscape mode, many of the applications will allow the buttons to disappear giving the screen MORE SPACE. This is awesome on many levels. When touching them, they will animate very elegantly, with that ICS blue-ish color coming and going.

There are many great points to this phone that I do not have time to mention. They outweigh the cons (very few) tremendously.

Cons: The volume is not as high as some other phones. It is not TOO low, but it is not a volume intensified phone. This will differ depending on your uses. For me, it is bearable.

That's it!!!!

ONE MORE THING: For those who complain about battery life. Here is a link to my blog that will explain how to CONDITION YOUR BATTERY:[...] People complain about battery; however, this phone uses 4G LTE, has a gorgeous HD screen with as many pixels as an HDTV, and has a dual core 1.2 GHz processor. What do you expect? Besides, my blog will show you how to increase your battery life significantly within a couple weeks. So, I don't consider the poor battery life a con at all. My battery went from 10 hours to 14 hours within a week and a half. I am confident that I will be able to get 20 hours after conditioning, and maybe even 4 more hours once Google starts updating the phone. After all, it is a Google phone and will ALWAYS get the updates first.

Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best android phone yet, December 28, 2011
This phone is amazing, I've had my fair share of phone. I went from the Palm pre plus to the droid eris, to the droid incredible, to the htc rezound, to this. Let's just get into it.

Design: Very thin and sleek, very nice. The only complaint I have is the phone is very slippery. This does not remain an issue for me as I got a case right away, but, if you like your phone naked it's buttery, just like it's OS!

OS: I've always liked the look of AOSP android, but many didn't. It kind of felt like linux, unless you put some stuff on top of it, it was just kind of, meh. ICS really polished that up. This now feels like a phone with a skin on it, with many features.

Performance (OS performance) Wonderful. 1.2ghz of dual core and 1 gig of ram is a good combination. I struggle trying to find any lag, and everything is very buttery and nice. Scrolling and pinch to zoom is buttery as ever. OS performance is like the design (buttery) except in a good way!

Speaker and earpiece: Speaker is not as loud as many would prefer, but a simple app from the market fixes that. The speaker sounds nice! Earpiece: It's hard for an earpiece to be not good, it's plenty loud and sounds crisp and clear, not much else to say.

Screen: Amazing, 4.65 inches of Samoled HD goodness, best screen on the market, and very nice. Colors are crisp, clear and bright. Pentile is unnoticable, not near unnoticable, unnoticable.

Signal and data: Many complain about pour 3G signal performance, my area (at least my house) has horrible signal and I got normal signal compared with my other phones. Data-4G LTE, I get 40 down and 13 up on average, 'nuff said.

Battery: Not the best, but the best of any LTE phone. However, I'm a major modder so I have a ton of custom kernels and rom's, I get a good 14 or 15 hours of heavy usage. If you guys want some advice on stuff to do find the Galaxy nexus forum at rootzwiki.com, I am many other people are very willing to help, and will help.

Camera: Front facing camera is as good as any other, it serves it's purpose for skype calls, I've done it. Rear camera is not too good, but it's decent, and good enough for a phone. (I'm a photographer and have spent 8,000 dollars on lenses and have 3 DSLR's for the record ;) ) The zero shutter lag for me almost makes up for it, it's a very nice feature.

Vs. Rezound. This is opinion here, but I personally switched to the Nexus after 3 rezounds. Many Rezounds have issues, more than 50 percent I would say. I went through 3, and later found out all the others that store had had issues. My local store has sold 18 rezounds, and returned 48, because of returns due to issues. I'm happy I made the switch, besides camera, I'd say everything is better. Screen, performance, everything all around. HTC sends out phones like they put on the market a phone their kid drew at school. The nexus has quality, and much work went into it, to make it nothing but perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone if you know how to use it, December 24, 2011
Persian Guy (Vienna, Va, US) - See all my reviews
I am upgrading from an EVO 4G which was both heavier and had a worse battery life (and smaller screen) but at the time was the best smartphone out there for a while. Like most on this forum, got the phone very quickly 3 or so days after the Verizon application was approved but I took the time to read all the negative reviews out there to see what the challenges with this phone would be. Here is some comments on the perceived negatives of this phone:

Battery Life:
I was so worried about these comments and knowing my EVO's problems I went ahead and ordered the extended battery (2100 mAH from Samsung sold by Verizon for half price at $25) including the back cover to begin with which is about 15% more juice than the battery that comes with the phone. The battery life is much better than my evo and lasts me about 12 or so hours of moderate use as I download and configure my apps, configure my bluetooth, set up wifi etc.(could last the whole day for most people). But then again I have chargers everywhere at work, in the car etc. for my Evo (which also fits this phone) in case it didn't last one day.
I think people are confused when they compare this to a non smart phone or a 3g phone. Of course a Mercedes consumes more Fuel than a Honda Civic but that is worth it for someone who wants more from his car than getting from A to B. Now I bought an iPhone for my mom thinking it is better for simple use but she is not happy either and tried switching but her 14 days had passed (on sprint to Galaxy S2). I tried customizing to improve her iphone but definitely found the iPhone majorly lacking.

One person said their non smart phone lasted a whole week on a charge. Well, a bike doesn't even need gasoline. But it's not a car.

One tip: Prime your batteries. There is contradictory comments on this but I routinely do it and have no regrets. By that I mean cycle the battery all the way to near zero for the first few charges and then completely full to improve long term battery life.

Sound Quality:
Sound is excellent so far. I went into the settings/sounds in the beginning and raised the sound (default is medium for both phone and media/speakerphone). You can also do this with the sound button on the side of the phone while in the particular application. People who don't know how to increase the sound of an electronic device should not really write reviews online. I mean if your TV was on mute and you don't know how to unmute it, that doesn't mean the speaker is defective.
One thing about media playback: It is amazing because it utilizes the whole beautiful screen. I just wish they had a kickstand like the Evo to showcase this.
Also, reception has been amazing. Maybe it is because I have switched from sprint but I have not had a single occasion in ANY of the usual dead spots or anywhere else so far where I got no signal or dropped a call.

Browser speed:
Amazing and much faster than my evo. And the 4G rocks. I have clocked this on speedtest at about 15Mbs consistently indoors in various locations in DC area.

Contacts:
Obviously all your contacts are synchronized instantaneously with your gmail so no lengthy conversion for you android users.

Memory:
There is no SD card which is bad. But 32GB of inherent memory means almost unlimited apps at this point without having to worry about moving apps to SD etc. AWESOME.

Voice Commands:
For those used to previous Android, this is not news as the voice commands have been present for a long time. But again, you can use voice commands for texting, emailing, setting alarms, navigations, google searches, etc. etc. This is somewhat improved from previous versions of android.

Languague Support:
One of the main issues with previous smartphone versions of Android for non latin language customers like Persian, Hebrew, Arabic, etc. was the incorrect font display. As a merged smartphone/tablet version, Android 4.0 on the Galaxy Nexus finally completely and correctly (right to left joined letters) supports Persian.

Instructions:
I don't use manuals and I don't go to these classes but for those interested: Google has been uploading instructional videos to their Galaxy Nexus channel on youtube to help new users who may not be computer geeks. Also, Verizon has some classes (at least in my area) for both Android and iPhone which are free.

Will update my review as I gain more experience but so far an awesome phone and am glad I bought from Amazon.

Update 1/5/2012: I have been going crazy with the speedtests and the speeds have been amazing. I have clocked between 12-21 MBS in DC suburbs including indoor. There is truth to the battery heating issue especially after running speedtests or HD videos on youtube. Screen is amazing. Showing off the speed and screen has made my iPhone friends jealous.

‹ Previous | 15 6 726 | Next ›