5.0 out of 5 stars Not the pinnacle of new technology, but Android perfection (for now...)
(9/16/2013: Figured I'd put a cap on this review by mentioning I've retired the Galaxy Nexus in favor of a Motorola Droid Maxx, which very much feels like the Galaxy Nexus version 2.0 -- about the same physical size, nearly stock Android, superb all-day battery, great radios, and very swift and fluid.)

There are phones with bigger screens (Galaxy Note), faster...
Published on December 15, 2011 by Nathaniel Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid device crippled by certain issues
Ok so this is more of a 3.5. And mind you, this is going to be LEGIT because I've had this device for almost a month.

What I like a lot about the phone:

1) Size of screen - very easy to read!
2) ICS - very clean interface and runs smooth, not necessarily super intuitive, but very functional! I wish I could say I love the task manager button...
Published on January 21, 2012 by N. Gu

‹ Previous | 17 8 926 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, July 25, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I read all of the reviews of this phone before I bought it. There were quite a few reviews noting signal problems and software malfunctions but I was willing to take the chance because it is only a penny. I have had this phone for a while and I have not had any problems whatsoever. The pure android experience without any skins is really different and I really like it. If you have a good Verizon signal in your area get this phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy yourself a trouble, July 18, 2012
I get this phone back in March where the price is more than $225. I have been very good experience with HTC incredible, but my wife dropped the HTC and end up with broken screen. That is the reason that I bought GNexus, which end up with a terrible experience. The first phone from Amazon is not able to activate. The second phone does work. However, compared to my HTC incredible, this phone has a very week signal. At my office, I often cannot talk on the phone and missed 40% of them, which have never happened to me with my Htc incredible. I have to use my office phone most of the time. Now, it is about 4 months since I have it. My Galaxy nexus cannot make phone call using the ear speaker. Only back speaker or headphone can be used to make phone calls. When I unplug headphone from the phone, the music does not pause (google music). Instead, it continue to play. Searched online, it looks like that the headphone jack sensor is broken. If I installed a software called Wired Headphone/Headset Fix, it will be able to use ear speaker for phone calls. Looks like the phone always assume that the headphone jack is attached, even actually it is not. Wired Headphone/Headset Fix is not a fix to the hardware (only disable headphone jack by software) and will not be able to automatically detect the headphone jack, and I would like Sumsung to fix my phone. Now it is on this way to Sumsung for repair.

Another thing is that the phone is now extremely slow now. It is not responsive and lags for simple go home button. It is not as smooth as my old HTC incredible even for more than 2 years of use. Galaxy nexus is the worst phone I ever have in my lifetime. Please do not buy it for your own time. Keep it away.

Update:
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
The phone is back from Samsung repair, which takes about 2 weeks. The repair does fix the headphone jack. However, the signal at my office is still poor. I cannot make a phone call for >10 minutes, where my old HTC incredible has no problem at all.

Update: Aug 14

The phone is malfunctioned again 2 weeks of repair. The worse experience...%$$$%&...I need to send it back to Samsung again,which takes more than 2 weeks to fix....What a pain. I called Verizon canceled my contract, paying >$300. Totally a nightmare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best device on VZW, July 7, 2012
Despite newer hardware available from Samsung & other manufacturers, this is still the best device available on VZW. It's the only device that ships without a bunch of un-removable bloat/crapware. It's the only one without a resource-hogging skin/UI & the only one with the software buttons intended to work with ICS (and soon to be Jellybean). Furthermore, this device has more community & developer support than any other device currently available, especially on Verizon.

The battery life is not stellar, but an extra battery with external charger is <$30 & well worth it to NEVER have to plug in your phone.

Clean OS, no bloat, 4G, NFC, unencrypted bootloader & unbeliievable community & developer support make this phone unique, if not legendary. 7 months after launch, it's still the best device on Verizon, and now one of the cheapest. Apple seems to agree as they've sued to block sales in the US of this phone. Yesterday it was not available even on Amazon. Today it's back. Get one now before they're gone or pulled from shelves again. There probably won't be another Nexus on VZW anytime soon, which is bad for everyone but Verizon.

If you like Verizon's coverage but hate the company, this is the phone they don't want you to have. How sweet it is!

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor connectivity, June 23, 2012
The 4G connection rarely works and it gets very hot when running on LTE/CDMA. I am constantly in CDMA only mode. Speaker is dreadful and I cannot do business calls over it. Even for 3G, the signal strength is very poor and call quality is pretty bad.

Other than calling functions, the rest is very good but I really do need to have solid calling on my phone as I do not have a landline. This product should have never been released.

1.0 out of 5 stars Battery life renders phone unusable, June 15, 2012
I was very excited about this phone and bought it on its release day. I am a huge android fan but this experience 6 months later is really forcing me to consider switching to an iphone or razr maxx.

Let me start off with the good. This phone has a great screen (720p), great processor that rarely lags, and has an unlocked bootloader allowing you to update your phone earlier than verizon's notoriously slow process. 4G, when working, is incredibly fast. ICS is also a huge step up from gingerbread and in many ways superior to iOS.

Now the bad. The phone comes with an 1850 mAh which has atrocious battery life, as has been documented all over the internet. That equated to about 2-3 hours of web surfing before my phone completely died which I didn't think was possible. The 720p screen eats battery like nothing else and the chipset seems to heat up and drain battery life quicker than I have ever seen. I upgraded to the 2100mAh battery which improved my results somewhat. Now with light usage, customized battery saving roms, 4g, bluetooth, and gps all off, I can squeeze out about 12.5 hours of life out of the extended battery. My light usage consists of 30 mins or less of talking on the phone, 30 mins of web browsing, a couple of texts, and occasionally checking widgets. My friend has the same phone and has managed to get his up 15 hours by putting his phone in airplane mode for parts of the day. While the phone has a lot of great features, the battery life makes them borderline unusable and I find myself needing to carry around an extra battery with me to make sure my phone doesn't die before I can get to a charger.

The build quality of the phone is also very low. Samsung's choice of materials for the phone leaves a lot to be desired and I'm sure that some minor drops would be sufficient to break the phone. Im basically trying to get rid of this phone now so that I can get the razr maxx with its inferior gingerbread or i0S with its lack of features because unfortunately having a phone that can last half a day is too important to look over.

2.0 out of 5 stars Earlier manufactured models were better. Widespread display discolorations, June 15, 2012
Android 4.0's user interface uses blacks and grays. The settings screen should be dark gray which fades up into a deep black to blend in with the status bar. The prompts (like when you adjust the volume) should be almost black. Many devices display shades of blue or purple instead.

I've seen literally 12-13 Galaxy Nexus's in the past few months. All of them had this problem at varying degrees.

I had one which I purchased used about six months ago and it showed all accurate colors. I also saw one from a Verizon store manager who got his on launch day, and it also displayed accurate grays and blacks.

The background of the boot animation should be black, not purple. The settings screens should all have gray and black backgrounds, not purple. The prompts should be nearly black.

Samsung changed something in their manufacturing and it sucks... big time. This is the only vanilla Android 4.0 device available and it's ruined by Samsung's crappy Pentile AMOLED display technology.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone, June 5, 2012
I'm a geek and a tweaker and always have been. This phone is perfect for me since it is so easy to root and download custom ROM's. The stock ROM did not impress me. I had similar issues with dropped calls. Once I started using custom ROM's most of my issues have disappeared. The two issues I still have are signal strength and battery life. I'm on the fringe of the 4G network. My signal will go from 4G to 3G and keep going back and forth. When I'm in a solid 4G area I have no signal issues. In fact, when in a solid 3G area I'm fine. The battery life of the original battery is brutal but I got the extended battery and use a product called "Juice Defender" that can get me through a full 12+ hour day without needing to charge. When I first bought the phone I was lucky to get 4 hours. If your not into tweaking your phone and just want to use it for basic phone calls and you are a casual email user, this may not be the right device for you. For me, it's the best phone I have had and I have had a lot of smart phones over the past 4 years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dropped calls and very short battery life, May 19, 2012
This is my third month with this phone and I am experiencing a lot of dropped calls (or calls with static). On the average, I have been making 6 to 7 short calls, with this phone, a day. More than half of the calls got dropped in the middle of the conversation. I live in San Jose, California and according to the sales person at the Verizon store, I should not have any problem with the connection.

The issue with excessive dropped calls alone would have earned only one star from me. And to make the matter worst, the phone has one of the worst batteries. I use this phone on an average of one hour per day and I have to charge it twice a day. I have both of my WI-FI and Bluetooth turned off.

5/27/2012
I had the battery replaced and the new battery, after fully charged overnight, can last me up to about two days. I've also deleted my e-mail account so the phone won't download any e-mail in the backgroud and turned off the'Data Enabled' hence saving the battery (I was told). However, the problem with drop calls has not improved. If I need to access the internet or checking my e-mail, I just turn on the 'Data Enabled'.

11/17/2012
Learned another trick. I found this, on the internet, and decided to give it a try. I set my 'Preferred Network mode' to CDMA instead of LTE/CDMA. After I did this, I have been experiencing fewer drop calls.

Now I am revising the rating and I am giving it a three instead of one star.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great phone with a couple issues, May 11, 2012
The good:
- The phone is light and feels great in your hand. Some people prefer heavier phones but I really love how this phone feels. It also looks great.

- The screen is great. Large and very high-res. (Colors aren't fantastic, though. I stopped noticing after a day or two.)

- The phone is extremely responsive. My big problem with my last Android phone is that it was clunky and unresponsive. Scrolling is smooth and apps are very fast.

- Verizon LTE. Where I live I get about 18 megabits per second consistently. It still amazes me.

The bad:
- My first one had serious signal problems. It lost *all* cell signal for a few minutes at a time at least once every half hour, which killed the battery. This meant I was unable to call, text, or use data (or receive calls and texts) until it picked up again. If this happens to you, take the phone back. The Verizon store swapped mine without hassle and the new one doesn't have this problem at all. Apparently this is a common problem.

- There's an issue with multitouch which can prevent the phone from recognizing two fingers at once. Apparently this is bad for gaming, but it also affects typing, depending on how quickly you type. Letters are occasionally skipped because the phone didn't sense my finger. This is apparently going to be fixed in an upcoming patch, but it's been delayed by Verizon for several months, so who knows when that'll happen.

- The maximum ringer volume is way too low. You're likely to miss it if you're in the other room, and the alarm's not going to wake you up if you're a heavy sleeper. Luckily there's an app called Volume+ on the market that fixes this by increasing the max volume. You don't even have to root your phone.

The three star rating is due to Verizon's slowness in releasing the update. Models of the Galaxy Nexus for other carriers suffered from the same signal and multitouch issues, but they were updated months ago. This phone is pushing 5 months old and still hasn't received an update since launch day, despite major bugs. Samsung did a great job, Google did a great job, but Verizon needs to get its act together.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great example of Android's advancements, May 5, 2012
I've been an Android user since I switchhed from my iPhone 3G in early 2009. I've been an enthusiastic user of the various custom ROMs and modifications available for these devices. I started with a Nexus One, then moved over to a Droid on Verizon, HTC Incredible, and now the Galaxy Nexus.

Having seen each version of Android from 2.0 to 4.0, I'm extremely impressed with what they've done. This phone really wakes up with a custom kernel (I'm on Franco.kernel nightly) and ROM (AOKP nightly r33, soon to be milestone 5). I also flashed the official 4.0.4 radio, and connectivity and 4G changeover are much better. I get excellent reception everywhere, and 4G is blazing fast and reliable everywhere I use it (greater Los Angeles area, Las Vegas, etc.).

The phone itself has an amazing screen, it's huge and easy to read, and with my huge hands, easy to type on. I love the resolution and color definition.

The performance of the phone is blazing fast. Once you move to the custom ROMs and kernels, you'll see a world's worth of difference in the already impressive performance. I have no complaints about the phone. I got the 2100 mAh extended battery, and it lasts all day with JuiceDefender (free or $2 premium) enabled. My battery stats when it's nearly drained show 1.5+ hours of talk time and 2.5+ hours of the screen being on, with 4G in use some of the time. This is impressive to me, compared to all the other phones I've had.

This may not be the pinnacle of technology or speed, but I highly recommend it for the Android enthusiast.

‹ Previous | 17 8 926 | Next ›