5.0 out of 5 stars A true futuristic device. A class of its on!
Published 21 months ago by AndroidDude

3.0 out of 5 stars good phone, bad shipping and handling
The sound quality during a phone cono is not as clear as I expected. Other than that the phone works great. I wasn't thrilled about the shipping either. I was requested to receive a text when it arrived and ups failed to do so. Also it was left at the end of my front porch in the cold and rain instead of inside the screen door as I would have expected an expensive...
Published 8 months ago by reb

5.0 out of 5 stars A true futuristic device. A class of its on!, December 5, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note II, Titanium Gray 16GB (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I'm somewhat of a "Tech junkie." Therefore, I've owned/own my fair share of devices. Iphone 3g, 3gs, HTC EVO, EVO 3D, Galaxy TAB 7.7, Droid Razr Maxx, and droid DNA by HTC, to name a few. This by far does what all the above do and MORE. I am not a Samsung fan, but as of late they have set the bar in what modern tech can be. Anyone debating on making the leap to this monster of a device shouldn't hesitate! I thought the size would make it uneasy to handle since I have small hands but, I quickly got used to it. It also has 1 handed mode, where you can switch the keyboard, phone dial pad, and ecen the calculator to favor either side with the touch of an arrow! I know women who have no problem operating the phone with the smallest hands. There is already a wealth of accessories at your disposal since this is a global device, as well as being available on 5 U.S carrier's. This has taken over my tablet as my browsing and media device. The S-pen acts as a mouse with features like hovering over links to show previews of emails, web content, photo albums and even shows a live preview with sound of your videos just by hovering! this device is nothing short of amazing! of course, the main reason this device is made, being a phone, it is excellent and reception and 4g LTE conectivity where available. No dropped calls and everyone sounds clear and say that I sound clear on my end. Buy it!

Pros: super fast quad core 1.6 GHz processor.
Large 5.5 inch super amoled 720 p HD screen non pentile version.
A plethora of the features including the extra features that that s pen enables.
Great battery life with 3100 mah battery whuch is removable.
Micro sd slot for up to 64 gbs of external storage.

Cons: Pricey, but you will not need to worry about your device vecoming obsolete before your next device, as its packing the latest and greatest in every aspect besides the 1st and only 1080p display in the USA on the DNA. Which that device has ONLY a 2020 MAH battery, and a few other shortcomings which I don't need to list in this review.

A little large, but as I mentioned you will quickly become accustomed to the size and everything else will feel unnecessarily small. Making myself wonder why I ever wanted such a small device especially with this being pocketable.

My conclusion. This is hands down the best device for all your entertainment, productivity, and typical smartphone needs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sprint vs. Verizon Wireless, December 31, 2012
I will not needlessly critique the mobile phone, as it is the best handset on the market -- largest most attractive screen, extremely thoughtful and intuitive Samsung customized user interface, best battery life.

I had been a Verizon Wireless customer for 4 years -- recently on the Galaxy Nexus phone.

I use lots of data for streaming investment information, and the Galaxy Nexus was inferior when tethering / mobile hotspotting it to my laptop computer.

The Sprint 4G LTE network in Chicago and Rockford, IL is faster than Verizon's. Likely this is due to the lack of traffic, as Verizon's network was fast a year ago, but much slower now. (2011: 15mbps DL / 10mbps UL, 2012: 4mbps DL / 3mbps UL on Verizon; 2012: 20mbps DL / 15mbps UL on Sprint)

Sprint, having a deep pocketed Japanese investor, is poised to be the top carrier in 5 years. They simply have more wireless bandwidth they intend to leverage.

The Galaxy Note 2 I got thru Amazon.com for $100 as a new line of service. Add to that the $100 discount for switching from Verizon to Sprint and the GN2 mobile phone was free. If that were not enough, Sprint offers CREDIT UNION customers 10% off on their bill, AND, waives the $35 activation fee.

Sprint deals are simply the best.

Lastly, Sprint voice mail service seamlessly integrates with Google Voice. Google Voice allows for efficient and easy voice mail and calling services. Notably, when I left Verizon I had forgotten to back up my voice mail messages, and they were lost permanently. Google Voice emails me the voice mail message as an audio file AND transcribes the verbal message in the email as well. A feature that is cutting edge, and remarkable.

Anyone reading this review must choose this phone, with this carrier -- Sprint. The $100 discount to switch carriers, along with a credit union discount of 10%, and waiver of the activation fee, makes Sprint #1 in competitiveness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative. Best phone on the market., November 26, 2012
This phone amazes me every day. It is not only fun to use and explore, but seriously one of the most interesting gadgets I've ever used. I bought the iphone 5 first, which I was super excited about at the time. After 2 weeks of glitches, dropped calls, microphone malfunctions, and boring interface I decided to try out the galaxy. WOW. A world of difference. The iphone seems like a dinosaur next to this phone/mini computer. I love my galaxy note II, and having the iphone first makes me appreciate this phone that much more. There are so many cool features, like handwriting texts with the s-pen, burst shot photography, you can make cool and intricate artwork with using the pen and appropriate applications, the list goes on and I'm still learning. This is the best phone I've ever had by far. It has excellent call quality, I have yet to have a dropped call, and unlike the iphone 5 everyone can actually hear me! The screen displays vivid colors and is the perfect size for viewing videos and photos but not too large that it's a nuisance. I highly recommend this phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Responsive and Powerful, November 26, 2012
I had an iPhone 3GS that kept getting slower with each OS update. The battery finally died after nearly 3 years. I originally tried the first Note phone in June and the touch screen software was clumsy while the pen was uncomfortable to use.

The pen has pressure sensitivity and I use it to draw with often. It's got a good camera, and the native software do their jobs well. It's good enough for anything I can think of so far, and I'm very happy with its responsiveness. It's a great piece of hardware on the inside, however the outside visual aesthetic is boring (aside from being thin, grey, and smooth) but that doesn't matter if you buy a case. I have a serious case of man hands and this phone feels right.

And Google maps is awesome on this phone. One of the biggest reasons why I chose not to go with the new iPhone is because of their sub-par Apple branded map app. I am astounded how manly leaps and bounds Google maps is beyond the Apple Map app. I am very glad I switched, and I am very happy with this piece of hardware. I got a blue tooth headset two weeks after I bought this phone, and I feel like I am in the future now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Phone ever, November 16, 2012
Stephen Lee (Los Angeles, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
I have waited long time. This phone is fast.(Faster than Laptop). I was with Verizon and I could not wait until November 27. I went to check with SPRINT. They have better phone plan Unlimited Data and much cheaper than Verizon. I switched and found it worked better in my house. I teach the computer in my church and found they have 4G coverage in the area and Verizon does not have 4G in the area. It works better. Most of my friend who has I-Phone checked this phone and find this is more responsive and smooth than I-Phone. My daughter should use medical program for her work and her performance goes up because of the faster speed of the response. Because of quad core process, the web response become much faster. I am not worried about the storage because I have installed 64 GB micro SD card. I checked the navigation. This is much smoother than GPS. I am considering to buy the mount and car charger. Once I changed to manual sync from auto sync of my e-mail accounts, the battery can hold 2 days enough. This become the walking entertainment machine for me since you can enjoy the U-Tube. I don't need to buy I Pad and I-phone. I could use for both. I am very happy with my purchase from SPRINT.

5.0 out of 5 stars This phone has no competition. It can do it all., January 30, 2013
This is about a phone that can do it all.

In a couple short years, Samsung has created a new form factor and design to lead us into the future of smartphones. 6 Years ago, my favorite phone was my Treo 650. A trusty Swiss-Army-knife-type phone that was a blend between PDA and cellphone, issued to me by my company at the time. It had everything a professional could want in one package.... albeit a very bulky package.

Since leaving that company, I have had quite a few cellphones with NONE of them matching the utility and business acumen of the trusty Treo 650. I played with hardware QWERTY phones and some with snazzy screens and dual cores. Each phone had it's own draw, but none of them covered all the bases. Phones began to get smaller instead of expanding their roles as Digital Asistants.

Until now.

Samsung has changed the game with this segment-defining piece of mastery. The skills that they have amassed since their entry into the Android sphere have culminated to a device that is part computer, part cellphone and part everything else in between.

THIS IS TRULY ONE PHONE THAT CAN REPLACE MANY (IF NOT ALL) OF YOUR DEVICES.

I'm not going to get into all the fantastic specs and numbers that this phone currently holds title to, because in the world of smartphones, this will only last a short while. What I want to show you is why you should seriously consider this phone as your device for the next 2+ years.

The specs themselves are enough to persuade many to purchase this phone (including myself), but it is the things that don't hit the spec sheet that will make you happy after the inital buzz wears off. Things like the S Pen (Samsung's Stylus that is based on award winning Wacom technology) and Samsung's dedication to cater to everyone make this the perfect companion. Multi-screen, just one of Samsung's many developments, allows you to run two apps at the same time, sharing half of the screen each. You can also dynamically change the amount of screen that each app occupies. Want to shoot off an email while finishing up that YouTube video? Do it at the same time. This is just one example of the Note II's appeal.

SIZE MATTERS:

My previous phone to the Galaxy Note II was the T-Mobile MyTouch 4G Slide. A QWERTY device with 3.6" screen. And although the screen on the Note II is nearly 2 inches greater, the flatness of the Note II makes it fit in my pocket more comfortably. The weight is just about perfect with a nice 50/50 balance between all sides. Holding the phone for the first time felt a bit strange as my hand got used to being more open. Within a week, the Note II felt perfectly natural. In fact, I feel quite "weird" grabbing an iPhone or my old MT4GS and having to hold it closer to see. I notice that the Note II's viewing position is much more natural for my arm and eyes. Samsung even included toggles to change the font sizes to match your needs, as well as a "one-handed" mode in some apps so you don't have to reach across the full screen with your thumb. All other phones look small to me now. The Note II has literally changed me.

The screen real estate comes in REAL handy when using SplashTop to remote into my Windows 8 machine. The S Pen doubles as a mouse, if you don't feel like attaching a regular mouse using a USB OTG (On-The-Go)adapter. (That's right: the Note II can use standard peripherals like wired/wireless keyboards and mice). During the my 2 week vacation, I was able to remote into my work computer and stay productive using a wireless mouse and a bluetooth keyboard (Logitech). I'm not even going to get into all the things you can draw and create with S Note and S Pen, you should play with that yourself at a store if possible.

Another place that the increased screen size has come in handy is while watching movies and videos. All eyes will hit your Note II when it comes time to share videos with a few people. No need to break out a tablet or computer, everyone will have a good view. And if you want a bigger screen, one button will send your screen images in the gallery to DLNA capable devices (like my Sony Bravia LED TV) to be put on screen.

Some people will want to hold out on getting this device since it does not have a full 1080p screen like some that are soon to launch including the Droid DNA. To me, the 720p screen of the Note II does a fantastic job. I cannot discern the difference between pixels, even when holding the phone painfully close to my face. That said, the Note II is able to manipulate the 720 lines of resolution with aplomb, making it an excellent Netflix watching experience. I'm not sure if the extra pixels will make much of a difference.

CANNOT HOLD IT DOWN

This phone just cannot be held down. I have seen YouTube videos of torture test that show how much this device can handle. There will be no point at which you will outpace the phone unless you are deliberately trying to bog it down. And with all this strength, you would expect the Note II to have a battery that can hold up to the demands of such a powerful device. And Samsung delivered the goods, mating the Note II with an enormous 3100mAh 3.8V battery (11.78Wh if you're counting). This easily lasts me all day, and I like playing with my phone. The battery is removable if you have any concerns with spares easily available. I have a spare battery and only found it necessary during a plane trip in which it became my movie player.

FUTURE PROOF

With technologies like NFC, DLNA, MHL (11-pin), USB OTG, LTE, Bluetooth 4.0, and WiFi 802.11 b/g/n the Note II is FULLY future proof. You certainly won't be "left out in the cold" when some companion device comes along and requires one of these technologies to in order to have full funtionality. (i.e. FitBit's BT 4.0 requirement or NFC for contact less payments and sharing).

EXCLUSIVE

Samsung has worked hard to create services and features that other manufacturers do not dare to dream. The social and sharing capabilities of the Galaxy line will make them a coveted group. The Smart Dock (look it up) is just another example of how Samsung is shaping the what we can do with our devices. Being the Flagship device, you cannot go wrong with the Galaxy Note II. And if you don't like the color choices right now, more options will be out soon as Samsung has realized that they have a winner in the Note II.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone!, November 25, 2012
Amazing phone. Switched from iPhone 4s. I love this communication device. Does everything a tablet, computer, camera, and phone should do. Great apps. 4G LTE is so fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Android Phone I've Ever Owned, January 17, 2013
I'm issued between 3-4 of the newest phones each year ranging from iPhones, Windows, Android, you name it. I was hesitant but curious about the Note 2. The specs were exciting; the quad core processor? Woof. I was mostly concerned about the overall size of the phone. I went from an iPhone with a 3.5 inch screen to the Note with a 5.5 inch screen.

First off, I'm a tall guy with large hands. Navigating the phone with one hand is rarely an issue for me. It is very slim and very light and fits in every pair of pants pockets that I own.

I've come to love the size of the phone. There is a transition period to going to a larger phone like this, but I couldn't be more happy with this device. I'm more of an Apple guy and had the option to go with the 5, but I'm perfectly content with my Note for the time being.

Battery life is AMAZING. I definitely recommend hooking up to wifi and home and at work if you have the ability to. Configured correctly, I could go THREE DAYS between charges when connected to wifi. That is completely unheard of these days with smart phones. When signal drops, battery tends to drain faster of course, but this is hands down the best smartphone battery life I've ever come across. It is ranked number 2 in smartphone battery life behind the Droid Maxx, but I personaly haven't been very impressed with Motorola's phones as of late.

Highly recommended device. Samsung is making some very, very good smartphones lately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Smartphone / Outstanding Customer Service, December 17, 2012
I placed my Amazon order for the Titanium Gray Galaxy Note 2 on Black Friday for $199. It was a sweet deal because everywhere else, including Sprint, was selling it for $299, and no one would match the special pricing. Initially it was on backorder with a ship date of Jan 6th, but ended up shipping a month early. So I received the phone on Dec 6th and been having fun with it ever since. Its a huge upgrade from my previous phone, so there's a bit of a learning curve. But its been almost 2 weeks, and I'm loving it! Just today a buddy of mine asked about my phone because after seeing it in action, he wants to get one for himself. I showed him the phone on Amazon and noticed the phone is now $99. Upon calling customer service about their low price guarantee, they issued a refund for the difference. Sweet deal Amazon!!
As for the phone itself, its a real joy to work with. The screen is gorgeous and the display is really responsive. No lag whatsoever. Samsung has really stepped up the quality of their devices. One of the most repeated arguments against this phone is the size. But it is a niche device, and the people who buy this phone want it because of the size of the display. The S-Pen is very precise and the included apps allow you to create as if you were using an actual pen and pad, but without all the crumbled up pieces of paper. My one and only qualm about this phone is the Smart Stay/Rotation feature, where if its activated the device is supposed to keep the screen orientation on portrait as long as you're looking at the screen. Should work when you lie down and turn the phone sideways. It doesn't seem to work all the time, but I suppose that is because it may have trouble detecting some peoples' eyes/face. Other than that, everything works as advertised. I did lots of research on the GN2 and other high end smart phones before buying. This phone was the best fit for me, and I'm very happy with my new purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone ever made to date., December 3, 2012
P. Erdos (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
In 1 hour you will start thinking it's not too big and in 1 day you will be comfortable with it. I actually would go bigger in a year or so.

Cons

Kinda pricey - I had to buy mine outright and it's $625 but now I won't have a contract and can sell it for at least half that later on.

Pros

So fast!
Amazing screen size.
Quad core processor.
Battery life is sometimes 2 days with moderate usage.
Very light and sleek considering it's size.

In short, best phone I've ever had! If the note 3 comes out and continues down the same path I'll definitely be getting it.

Rate and Discover Movies