Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Samsung Galaxy Ring (Virgin Mobile)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on November 6, 2013
I originally wanted the galaxy S3 but I wasn't willing to break the bank for it. My next option was the S2 but I went with this phone instead. It's a great bang for your buck. I would call it the baby version of the S3. I am pretty satisfied with it. The only reason it gets 4 stars instead of 5 is because it has a tendency to freeze up/ restart on sometimes. It doesn't happen frequently but when it does happen it's annoying. If I would have paid more for it, it'd be incredibly upsetting. Otherwise, I would recommend this for someone younger; maybe a first smartphone for a preteen or teen that won't cost you too much.

UPDATE: Do not buy this phone, I have only had it for about 2 months now and it shuts down more and more. I've already had to do a master reset, and that was the last straw. I think if it wasn't a single core processor it would function better. I'll be buying a different phone soon than I had originally wanted.
33 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2013
HSN had this phone on sale for $99.95 plus I got 15% off for signing up for their email and then sold my old Kyocera Rise to a coworker, so phone only cost me about $40 total. It puts the Rise to shame hands down but it does have some quirks. I have had a couple apps crash and setting it up was a pain but so far so good. If you like a lot of apps, text a lot, or are a gamer than this phone will likely not be for you. Jelly Bean doesn't allow moving apps to SD card so you are stuck with a little over 2gb (operating system eats some of the 4gb total). Pretty silly considering I have a 64gb SD card with 59gb free. Stock Samsung keyboard is a little laggy for speed texters but you can try other options (again using some of your 4gb), I happen to be a slow typer so no problem for me. Processor is only 1.4ghz single core so gamers may want to bump up to the Victory for a few dollars more. All in all this phone suits me and my situation. Music sounds better than it did on Rise, the apps I use and internet are a bit faster, and it has a bigger screen and weighs a bit less so I am happy with it.
on October 6, 2013
Rating this is hard because if you take 5 stars to mean say the iPhone 5s or Galaxy s4, well this one is maybe a 2.5. Then again this one costs $110 versus around $600 and $650 for those.

That is what I said about a year ago when it was new. Using this phone I found that I love having a smartphone and now that I understand how useful a tool they can be I wanted to do more with more apps then this low end phone can handle. That and I wanted a large screen due to the amount of time I ended up using it.

I lowered my rating to 3 stars simply because now for $150 and under you can get a much better phone locked in prepaid or even for about $200 could get a Moto X unlocked and use T Mobile. I ended up getting a Amazon Fire Phone for a crazy low price of $200 including a year of Prime and use Brightspot, T Mobile through Target, for the same $35/month I paid with Virgin. I'm very happy with a high end phone now.

Below is my original review of this phone.

For me the screen is a great size as it fits in my pocket with no issues.

The processor is fast but not multi core. There is a lag getting web pages open even on wifi but it is not bad. It only has 3g and the processor is fine for that speed. You'd really want dual core for 4g so you can see the speed benefit over the web. If you are wanting to be on the web a lot on your phone you would be happier with a dual core and 4g phone. For me this is fine.

Andriod versions are a bit odd in that the newest version is never on any phone for a while. This is 4.1 and that is the newest widely used Andriod version. Some phones like the s4 are beginning to have 4.2 now. The newest actually is 4.3 and that ought to be compatible with apps so this should be fine there. Andriod can have multiple apps be running at the same time. Since this is not a multicore processor if you leave things open and running my guess is that reviewers are doing who say the phone freezes up on them.

Especially the first couple of days the phone did seemingly randomly reboot several times. This is because Samsung, Google, and Virgin are all wanting to update certain things on the phone. The problem is they don't prompt you so you can't just ignore it and reboot later, it just does it. This really is annoying but it also is not the fault of the phone.
on December 30, 2013
I have no complaints whatsoever. This phone is awesome, the interface is intuitive and the screen is sharp. I would highly recommend this phone to any Virgin Mobile customer.
on April 15, 2014
If you're looking for a high-performance phone or you are an avid smartphone user, then you should probably consider something else. However, if you're a new to smartphones, then it's a perfect starter for the price!

I read the bad reviews on this phone, and I was a little bit hesitant to get it but I bought it anyway. It's a pretty nice phone. It supports all of the new apps, has wifi, GPS, nice camera with flash, all for a VERY reasonable price. The only complaint I have is that it will crash every once in a while. This is my very first smartphone so I don't have anything to compare it to, and the crashing doesn't bother me much. I simply restart the phone and continue what I was doing. This doesn't happen very often, I'd say once every couple of months. So if that would annoy you, then I would recommend the Galaxy S3 or one of the other Galaxy devices for Virgin Mobile.

In a previous review someone mentioned that this phone gets bad cell reception. That is NOT true. It's not the phone that gets bad reception, it's the Virgin Mobile network that is somewhat lacking.
on December 17, 2015
I had this phone for a year before switching to LG Volt. It's been a year since I've had the LG Volt and it's doing a lot better than the Samsung Galaxy Ring. The Galaxy Ring was great for about six or seven months before the battery life began to decrease. I would have to charge it far too often. After a month or so after the battery started to have less life, it began to randomly restart. I would be taking a picture or on an app and then suddenly it would restart. That didn't bother me at the time because I figured it only restarted because I hadn't turned it off in a while. Then it started to display messages that apps stopped working, including Google Play Services which was by far the worst (that would fail literally at least once a minute; I'm not exaggerating). That's when I decided to get a new phone. It could have been a battery problem causing all the failed apps and random restarts but I didn't really want to get a new battery only to later on have to get another battery. If you're looking for a short term phone, then this is good for that; but I highly suggest that you find something more reliable.
on August 22, 2013
As the title states, this is not a computer. Due to the state of current technologies, a device of such a size is limited in its capabilities.

What you can expect:

The length of time in which the battery can go without needing to be recharged will vary based on how you use your phone.
* If you use it strictly for phone calls and nothing more, you will experience longer battery life.
* If you use it for entertainment purposes (e.g. games, videos, internet), the life of the battery will be significantly shorter.
Why? Because you are using it as though it were a computer. Such activities require greater processing power which, in turn, requires more battery power. In other words, the more the processor has to work, the more power it needs.

I am 30 and I have witnessed the evolution of the cell phone. If you are 15 and you complain about battery life while using the phone as if it were a computer, you are wasting your breath. You cannot play games or watch videos or browse your favorite websites with the expectation of having to plug your phone in only once every 24 hours. I'm sorry, but mobile phone technology has not yet advanced to such a point where it can run on a 4Ghz CPU and a 1Ghz GPU with 3Gb of dedicated graphics memory and 32 gigs of system RAM for a duration of no less than 8 hours on a single charge. If that's what you want, you may have to wait a decade or so for it. And by the time that comes around, you'll complain, because you were expecting more.

You may need to be reminded that only ten years ago, Snake was one of the most popular games for mobile devices.

What you cannot expect:

The performance of a PC in the palm of your hand.

---

With that, and having one of these phones, my phone, charging not 5 feet from me, I would recommend this phone to others. I enjoy it and would definitely recommend it over the phone I had ten years ago.

I can only give it four stars out of five, because, even when rooted and with FolderMount running, I am still not yet able to move apps to the "external" SD card. Samsung has seemingly not permitted it as a feature in the stock OS and, even when rooted, it recognizes the internal user storage mounted as the SD card with the actual card being mounted as "extSdCard". The seemingly complete lack of App2SD functionality is my biggest complaint.
on December 7, 2013
I will buy again from this merchant. Further, and very important. Think Green, Please protect animals and plants, recycle everything you can, no littering and use it enough to completely finish any product. Transmit this message to others.

Compraré nuevamente en este negocio. adicionalmente, Piensa Verde, por favor protege a los animales y las plantas, recicla todo lo que puedas, no echar basura, usa todo hasta el final, transmite este mensaje a otros.
on March 26, 2015
I highly DO NOT recommend this phone. My husband and I each purchased it at the same time from amazon. The first week we loved it, but the romance didn't last long for either of us. Constant freezing of the screen. Sometimes, turning the phone off and on will help, but most of the time we have to pull the battery to do a total reboot which is very frustrating since it happened often. The keyboard is slow and is always catching up, the voice command, no matter how clearly you speak bring up words that are so way off that it is hilarious sometimes. Battery life is not good even if you do not play games. I charge my phone at least three times a day. Our daughters have the Galaxy 3S and love them, but I think hubby and I will go back to LG.
on May 9, 2014
Ive dropped this phone a million times, thrown it.. bounced it.. and Im convinced that the screen is virtually unbreakable. My boss called and I threw hard it the other day. It bounced 3 rooms away on hardwood, resulting in no signal strength. The phone itself is scratch free and dent free after about a year. This is one heck of a durable phone.

The drawbacks are the keyboard. Plain and simple. The preemptive technology does not function or is non existent on the touch screen.. making texting rather difficult. The spell checker and suggestions can be turned off to make the screen area bigger, but this results in a million typos. The keyboard should send the majority of a button touch, it does not. The other thing was the alarm clock app.. it really should lock the screen from rotating, because when you wake up to hi snooze the thing is scrolling all over the place and you end up literally chasing the snooze button with your finger. The final drawback was a glitch in the music player, which alows the media player to select the default album cover used in all tracks, from your personal photos!!!! There are horror stories of this all over google, as there is no way to erase that default album art

The phone itself is great.. if your willing to experience some difficulty in texting for an extremely well built phone, this is a great deal.. way way better than any LG phone, and nicer than the iPhone. No hardware issues that I know of..