Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Color: White|Change
Price:$179.99+ Free shipping

on May 4, 2013
UPDATE#1: The battery life seems great, better than on the S3 even though the screen is larger and has a higher resolution than the S3. When I had my S3, I used to lose about ~3-5% of battery every two hours or so but with the S4, I seem to lose about ~1-2% so that's awesome. The phone comes with a ton of bloatware and the only way to get a good battery is by removing all the bloatware. I was getting terrible battery life when I first got my phone but after reading online it seems that everyone suggests removing the bloatware for batter battery life. Like I said in my review, the snapdragon 600 uses very little battery when it is not being used so that's a big plus. I'm a heavy user and when I say heavy user, I mean heavy user. I do pretty much everything on my phone from taking a crapload of pictures/videos, watching YouTube videos, playing 3D games, phone calls and surfing the internet. At the end of the day the phone has about 30-35% of juice left. Also, one thing that I forgot to mention was the speakers on the phone. Samsung decided to move the speakers which used to be at the top near the camera on the S3 to the bottom of the phone which wasn't a good idea if you ask me. You can block the sound coming from the phone when holding the phone with your hand.

----------------------

It's been a week since I got my Galaxy S4 and this thing is super awesome. My previous phone was the S3 which I loved to death and this time I'm super excited to have the S4 in my hands. I had absolutely zero issues with the S3 but the S4 looks so sexy with the metal edges. I seriously don't understand why people buy an iPhone because let me tell you that the Galaxy S4 blows the iPhone 5 out of the water and every other phone out there. The Galaxy S4 wins hands down in every category compared to the iPhone 5. I was blown away by the performance of this phone. The Snapdragon 600 is blazing fast and uses far less battery than the S3. I can get through the day with a single charge and still have 30% left at the end of the day. I'm a heavy user so this says a lot about the phone. Even my family who loves the iPhone is blown away by this phone. My family just loves the big screen and the customization that it has compared to the iPhone 5. There are many reasons why I decided to go with this phone over the other smartphones on the market but the main reason is the screen size, camera, storage, processor and the battery life.

These are some of the things that the Galaxy S4 has over the iPhone 5 and other high end phones:

Pros:

-Screen: The Galaxy S4 has a nice 5 inches Super AMOLED HD screen that makes everything stand out when viewing it. The resolution on this phone is a nice 1080 x 1920 (441ppi pixel density) which makes everything look sharp. The Gorilla Glass 3 is also much better at preventing the screen from cracking and scratching. I tried to scratch the screen with my car keys and nothing happened to the screen, impressive. It has a significantly higher resolution than the iPhone 5 (640 x 1136). Also, the iPhone 5 is only 4 inches which is way too small for most people.

-Android OS: This phone ships with the most up to date version of Android, Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) which is the fastest Android version yet. Samsung has added many new features to TouchWiz which is great. I'm not really a fan of TouchWiz but it seems that they have made many improvements to the UI.

-Design: The design is sort of the same as the S3 which I have no problems with. The S3's design is sexy and very comfortable to hold in your hand and the same goes for the S4. If you loved the S3's design then you will love the S4's design even more, trust me. The phone feels a little bit lighter and thinner which is great. It has a nice feel to it that makes you want to hold the phone.

-Camera: The primary camera on this phone is 13MP (4128 x 3096 pixels) and the front camera is 2MP that takes some of the best pictures I have ever seen. The front facing camera is great when you are Skyping or even taking pictures of yourself.

-Battery: Samsung has decided to improve the battery capacity in S4 to 2600mAh that can easily last a full day with a single charge. I can get through a day with a single charge and still have 30% left at the end of the day. The battery life is one of the most important aspects when deciding which phone to buy for me because I travel a lot and I need a phone that can last a full day. My previous phone which was the S3 needed at least 2-3 charges to last through a day. The Snapdragon 600 does an outstanding job at using as little battery as possible.

-Storage: With the option of an external sdcard, this phone simply destroys the iPhone 5. I can store as many pictures and HD videos as I want and it will never come close to being full. I am the type of person who stores large collections of pictures, videos, and movies and this phone lets me do all of that easily. I also play 3D games that require a minimum of 1-2GB of space and this phone is perfect for that.

-Processor: The Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 (Quad-core 1.9 GHz Krait 300) does an amazing job at keeping this phone lag free and blazing fast. I have never experienced a slow down with this phone. I have even tested this phone by playing intensive games such GTA Vice City on the highest settings and there were no slowdowns whatsoever. I am very impressed with the processor in this phone.

-Removable Battery: Who doesn't love this, seriously? This and the option of an external sdcard make this the best phone of the year. I always carry extra batteries whenever I travel somewhere and I can easily swap my battery with another one when the phone is low on battery. This is a big plus for this phone. Sucks to be an iPhone user!

Cons:

-None. As much as I want to think of something bad to say, there's simply nothing negative about this phone.

Overall, I can safely say that Samsung has another winner in their hands. It's a great phone and it doesn't disappoint. With the amazing 1080p resolution, screen size, battery capacity and storage, this phone puts other phones to shame. The Galaxy S4 will be the best phone of 2013, mark my words!
1313 comments| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2013
I ordered this phone with the highest of hopes. I had gone through 4 years of the ups and downs of HTC products and was ready for a change of pace. I did a lot of research and concluded that the Samsung experiences were pretty good. So when I started to have trouble with this device on the very first day I was more than a little disappointed. To get down to the facts, the WIFI had issues. No matter what WIFI I connected to the phone would randomly disconnect and re-connect. I came to the conclusion that the WIFI was actually turning itself on and off. I poured over the forums and support sites and started to see that Samsung has a history of WIFI issues going back to the S3. But most of these issues had resolutions and were not universal to all types of WIFI as was mine. Everything else about this phone is great and would be greater if I could be on a stable WIFI connection. I've got a replacement coming now as the guys at Sprint were even shocked at how bad this one was. Perhaps when the replacement comes I'll update you. But, watch out for this, if your WIFI is flakey don't put up with it, take it back and get another.

Update July 1st, 2013
Sprint replaced the device. It was of note that the failed device was model SPH-L720BKK, the new (or replacement) device was SPH-L720BKX. The replacement works perfectly so far. This was the experience I had hoped for with this device. Happy at last.
22 comments| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2013

----------------------

Pros:

Cons:

66 comments| 156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 6, 2013
Galaxy S4 is an incredible phone. I have been using this unlocked S4 for past 2 days helping a friend to migrate from iPhone 4S. My friend has been on iPhone and it also gave me a unique perspective. I used iPhone for couple of years and been using Android for past 3+ years.

I have used Galaxy S3, Note II and for me S4 is more like a S3s :) If you have a Galaxy S3, it is perfect and there is no need to move to S4. The new features are more like minor upgrades for me. Just like Detroit rolls out new cars every year, phone manufacturers have found excellent way to make yearly upgrades.

Battery came for almost a day. The video playback was crisp and my friend was amazed at the customization options. It is heaven for a iphone user to come out of shackles and explores the wonderful world of Android. It sure sounds like it is for geeks, but Samsung has created lot of ways to simplify and make it less intimidating. The EASY mode is for one such reason. Samsung's addition of all those apps (commonly referred as crapware) is not as bad as HTC or LG. Android experience is classified as pure vanilla in phones like Nexus. Vendors like Samsung have added a whole lot of extra programs.

5" HD Super AMOLED 1920 x 1080 display (441 ppi) is just plain gorgeous. 13 MP camera takes ginormous image sizes. I put a 64 GB microSDXC card SanDisk 64GB Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC Class 6 Memory Card with SD Adapter - Retail Packaging as my friend wants to take lot of movies (built-in 2 GB RAM, 16 GB ROM). No stuttering, and very smooth playback of videos captured in varying light conditions (HD Playback; HD Recording). Compatible video types are AVI/DIVX, WMV/ASF, FLV, MKV, MP4/3GP, WEBM. HDR and Panaromic photos were incredibly sharp. Compatible audio types are: AAC, AMR, MP3, OGG, WMA/ASF, 3GA/M4A, FLAC, WAV. Google Music, PlayerPro Music player are producing excellent music. Audio/Video is one section where S4 has nudged S3. For a normal user, if you are not into lot of video processing this does not matter.

S4's infrared sensor is the same technology as TV remote control, so with WatchON you can change the TV channel from your phone. My friend was shocked to see this feature. Having used Android for a long time, I explored all new features one by one. My friend is still getting used to and feels this is too complicated. I broke down into lot of sub features and told my friend he may not use 50% of features, but told him to explore one feature at a time and focus on that.

Games were very buttery, this phones runs ARM®-based octa-core mobile CPU. This is apparently world's first! Inside this chip is Imagination Technologies' PowerVR SGX544MP3 GPU. I tried several car racing games and performance was phenomenal. People on the XDA-Developers forum report seeing smearing and ghosting when scrolling on the phone. This especially occurs to people when scrolling among darker colors, which begin showing up as purple. I tried hard to see if I could on the S4 I was testing with my friend and I could not see it. I am sure these can be upgraded with software over due course.

Air View and Air Gestures - are they worth it? Air view is similar to how the S-pen on the Galaxy Note 8 works. Simply hover finger a few millimeters above the screen and in supported apps, you'll see a preview of content. This works with many of Samsung's built-in apps, including the photo gallery, the dialer, Samsung's browser and email client. It also works with Flipboard. Air View works by cranking up the capacitive sensor on the screen. Another new feature is Air Gestures. This uses the IR sensor on the top of the phone to detect movement by your palm or finger. One can flip between open tabs in Samsung's browser app, skip to a new song in the music player and do many other things. I say these are still in works and sometimes not very efficient.

GPS was spot on and I tried multiple GPS apps. It was bright outdoors (had to crank the brightness all the way up). I tried multiple apps to demonstrate to my friend. In the end, my friend was impressed with what all Android and in particular S4 had to offer. Smooth and Stunning display!

Tapatalk (awesome forum browsing app)
OverDrive Media Console: Library eBooks & Audiobooks (public library consumption of media)
Terminal Emulator (still need to use vi, yes this is it)
TweetCaster Pro for Android (excellent twitter client)
Plenty of Widgets

Ask questions, the review cannot do justice to Galaxy S4. I will be glad to answer any questions.
44 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 30, 2013
Bought this phone to upgrade from my old school Gravity T phone of 3 years and I certainly do not regret it. I have Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 and an ASUS TF300 tablet, so the learning curve for this was non-existent for me (which was the contrary for my mother, who upgraded to an HTC One, disliked it and the size and switched to an iPhone *sadface*).

The Good:
Large Screen - Nice large screen to do whatever you want
Sheer Speed - A quad core processor in a phone
SD Card - I bought this to replace both my phone and Mp3 player. This phone does the trick with a 64GB optional SD card. I currently have a 32GB in there filled with music.

The Neutral:
TouchWiz - Most of the additional features that the galaxy offers, like NFC (data exchange for touching devices), S-Beam, Air Gesture, etc I find as gimmicks and are attempted selling points that I never use. The UI is also familiar to most, but I did what I do with any Android deveice: Install Nova Launcher over it.

The Bad:
Battery Life (initially) - The first two days I owned the phone, I was unhappy with the battery life. I would unplug it from the charger at 7:00 AM before I head to work, and by the time I am done with work at 4:00 PM, it would be down to around 35-40%. I found that Google Services was taking up a lot of battery. I had to do some digging to fix this, but I disabled all google account syncing except for Contacts and Calendar, since the constant syncing can wake up the device to perform its tasks. I also disabled Google Maps from automatically updating its location and disabled Google Now. I also set my email to update less frequently (from 5 minutes (lol) to 30 minutes) and set it to store less emails, thus reducing the time the email app must have a "wakelock" to do its business. In short, it was a few headaches to get the battery life to a satisfactory level for me.
Storage Space - 16Gb, of which roughly half of it was taken for Samsung's implementation of Android and TouchWiz. Slightly annoying...almost as bad as Microsoft taking up half of 64GB for their implementation of Windows 8 Touch.

Overall, I love the S4 and am glad I upgraded. When I got my S4, my mom upgraded to an HTC One, so I had time to compare the two juggernauts of the Android market and I can honestly say, though both have their pros and cons, I love my S4 (All the HTC has going for it are the good camera in dark conditions and the dual audio speakers).
on September 14, 2013
If you're looking to find and alternative to the iPhone - this is it! It can have multiple apps running, kindle for android, google books, music - log into college sites and blackboard, email, etc. My gripe is that I could not view flash on this.

You will run out of things to imagine to do with this phone, you'll keep learning more and find it indespensible. I love it!
on October 7, 2013
I love this phone so much! I upgraded from an S2 and it's a world of difference. Way better video quality which was a huge issue with the S2. Awesome camera, fast processor. Good battery life so far. I couldn't be happier!
on August 11, 2013
Very happy with this phone. I am a hard core vanilla android user and usually use google devices, but with sprint my options have been limited. I have been using this phone with cyanogenmod and very happy with the speed and quality of the devices, while not sacrificing my hatred for bloated software from manufacturers.

With that said, the samsung software is very nice with some features not available on any other phone, it just wasn't for me. Device wise, this was one of the best devices on the market when I purchased it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 6, 2013

Terminal Emulator (still need to use vi, yes this is it)
TweetCaster Pro for Android (excellent twitter client)
Plenty of Widgets

99 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 6, 2013
This is my review of galaxy S4, (I have the octocore unlocked version). I have used a S4 on sprint from a friend, and it is same for a user - difference being the cellular chip, CPU.

An updated NFC Tag from Whiztags is just awesome, has 450 bytes of memory and I use several of those in office and home with my Samsung Galaxy S4 NFC tags - Topaz 512 Chip - 10 Pack + Keychain + Free Bonus Tag - Android Writeable & Programmable - Adhesive Sticker Back - Samsung Galaxy S4 S3 Note 3 - HTC One First One X Droid DNA - Sony Xperia - Nexus - Smart Tags - Best Money-Back Guarantee!
I have been using TechMatteTM Qi-compatible Wireless Charger for the Nexus 4, HTC 8X, HTC Droid DNA, Nokia Lumia 920, LG Optimus Vu2 (With AC Adapter and Micro USB Cable). and TechMatteTM Qi-standard Wireless Charger Receiver Coil for SAMSUNG Galaxy S4 SIV for wireless charging and they are very convenient for charging by placing on the mat.

UPDATE 9/15/2013:
I thought I will update since it's been a while. We have two Galaxy S4 in the family. One black and one white both unlocked. There has been few firmware updates to the 9500 International series. I have been asked about the heat issue. Other than normal electronic heating feeling, it does NOT get super hot etc. In the initial days some people had issues, but apparently firmware has patched it. Version 4.2.2, BUILD: JDQ39.I9500XXUAMDX. Kernel 3.4.5-526212. I use Battery Widget Pro and has been watching battery usage. Easily for a day with normal usage. If I use video streaming and use NAVIGON indiscriminately, of course battery usage will shot down. Camera app does crash with latest updates. If I don't use camera for a day and use it, sometimes it crashes and phone reboots. After that no issue in subsequent sessions. I have been using NFC a lot. I got the WhizTags NFC tags - NTAG203 Chip - 10 Pack + Keychain + Free Bonus Tag - Android Writable & Programmable - Adhesive Sticker Back - Samsung Galaxy S4 S3 Note 2 - HTC One First One X Droid DNA - Sony Xperia - Nexus - Smart Tags - Best Money-Back Guarantee! which is awesome. I use in conjunction with NFC Task Launcher App. Samsung also has TecTiles App. When I go to office I tap a NFC Tag to get the settings I desire - eg vibrate, wifi on etc. At CAR different instructions and so on.

Get a spare battery if you are using phone in an intense manner or if you are on long road trips or for just peace of mind. Timetec 2*2600mAh High Capacity Li-ion Battery for Samsung Galaxy S4 S IV SIV, I9500. Samsung Galaxy GT-I9500, Verizon SCH-I545, AT&T SGH-I337, Sprint SPH-L720+Free Bonus TimeTecTM Multi-purpose USB Travel Charger is a great choice.

Another great gadget to have in your backpack while traveling or at home is an excellen remote for this phone. Yes a remote for media and camera. I have reviewed it at Satechi BT MediaRemote Bluetooth Multi-Media Remote Control (White) for Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4 / Note, Note II / Galaxy Tab / Galaxy Nexus

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Terminal Emulator (still need to use vi, yes this is it)
TweetCaster Pro for Android (excellent twitter client)
Trigger