5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing!
Published on March 21, 2012 by Mr Smart

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor warranty
After 16 months of use, the tablet has stopped working. The warranty is only one year. I had to throw in the garbage.
Published 16 months ago by Livrad Nossiop

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing!, March 21, 2012
Mr Smart (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 WiFi+3G P6800 16GB Silver Unlocked GSM Tablet - International Version (Wireless Phone)
This is my 2nd Galaxy Tab, my first being the Galaxy Tab 7" which I purchased refurbished from woot for $250. That tab replaced my netbook, which may or may not go to my nephew, for now it sits by collecting dust. When I saw the specs on the 7.7 and I realized how much I use my 7" tab, I went ahead and bought this tab for $655 and it is worth every cent! The screen is amazing; I used it the first day for over 10 hours without having eye strain and the battery still had close to 25% left. I tried my T-mobile sim card from my Galaxy s 4G and the phone worked perfect, and the Edge network ran pretty fast on this tab, but not a replacement for 3G by any means, but it's nice to know I can use my card on this at any time and have a phone and net at my disposal.

The stock web browser works fine, and I have Dolphin HD as well, which works well too. Most apps I have used on this device work perfect, but with this screen resolution you will find the font to be somewhat small on apps not made for the 1280x800 screens, but I don't mind that as the screen and colors are amazing, and until you hold this in your hand its hard to put in writing just how beautiful it really is.

The speed of this tablet is amazing, I have yet to find any lag, I seen some people complain about Samsungs touchwiz as being slow and buggy, I found that out on my Galaxy S4G, but that is not a problem as I use Go Launcher Ex, a free launcher on the Android Market, and by far IMO the best launcher there is, so do not let touchwiz stop you from getting this tab.

I fly several times a year and the size of this tablet for travel is perfect and the weight is so light it is not a worry about having too much in your carry on.

Movies and Videos play very well with the stock video player and there are several on the market you can use if you find videos that do not work on the stock player.

I spent the $50 on the Samsung Case and it was money well spent, this tablet is so thin and weighs so little, it can be hard to hold without this case to add some girth to it and not much weight and also, its nice to have the protection you get with this.

The screen has a coating that really does keep fingerprints and smudges at bay, with my 7" tab you pretty much needed to carry a cloth around to wipe down the screen after minimal use. That is not the case with this tab.

I hope this helps anyone who is looking at this tab as a consideration, I say go for it; it is amazing and a stunning example of a small and powerful tablet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Display Quality in the Market, February 7, 2012
I purchased the Samsung Galaxy tab 7.7 along with ASUS Transformer Prime TF201 at the beginning of 2012. When I received them both about the same time, I compared the two. Then I returned the ASUS Transformer Prime to the seller and kept the Samsung Galaxy tab 7.7. Both tablets have been considered the best tablets in their own categories. The Prime has the best overall features among the size 10.1 tablets, such as being thin and light, having micro SD card, very bright display, fastest processing speed (Tegra 3) etc. But Samsung Galaxy tab 7.7, which is a smaller size tablet, beat the Prime in big time in the display quality, specifically, the richness of display color, which is the most important factor for me to choose a tablet. I use a tablet mostly to watch HD movies in 1280x720 resolution in mkv or mp4 format while I am not using my 55 inch Samsung LED TV (Samsung UN55D7000 55-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D LED HDTV ) at home. The Samsung Galaxy tab 7.7, equipped with Super AMOLED display and highest pixel density in the market, has the display quality which is very close to my Samsung 55-inch LED HDTV at home. The Samsung products (TVs and tablets) in recent years have the displays which can be characterized as being radiantly bright and lavishly colorful. Samsung's display technology seems to be their best kept secret, which makes their products have no rival in the industry and enjoy considerable price margin over other brands. It's simply the best. The display of the Samsung Galaxy tab 7.7 is just incredibly stunning. I have had great viewing pleasure with this tablet since the purchase. However, I did realize that the movie viewing is better in a dark indoor environment than in a bright outdoor environment. Please note that the SD card can be only formatted into FAT32 format in order to be recognized by the tablet. An HD movie in 720P resolution can be as big as 4.7 GB depending on how big the video bit rate is. A file size greater than 4 GB won't fit in an FAT32 micro SD card. What you can do is to reduce the video bit rate to 2.5 mb so that size of the movie would be reduced to around 2 GB, which can fit into the micro SD card. I use a free software called DVDVideoSoft to do so. After several experiments, I realized that using a combination of the 2.5mb video bit rate and a resolution of 1280x720 to compress/convert a high resolution video file (1080p, 720p) and then play it on the Samsung Galaxy tab is the best way to maintain the the picture quality shown on a 1080p large screen LCD/LED TV.

***Update***
As to the storage size, the Samsung Galaxy 7.7 tablet comes with 16GB internal storage and MicroSD card slot, which you can insert a maximum 32GB MicroSD card. Besides, you can buy a USB female port adapter dongle for Samsung Galaxy tablets to further expand your storage. This little thing will allow you to connect a flash drive or thumb drive to the tablet. Again, it has to be in FAT32 format. The Samsung brand is very expensive (around $20.00). I think this price is a rip-off. I bought a generic one from ebay at a very cheap price.

***Update***
After one month of use, I realized that in order to achieve the best picture quality of a high resolution movie on this tablet, you have to compress the movie into 4 mb video bitrate (as opposed to 2.5 mb) and 1280x720. With 2.5 mb video bitrate, I would see some mosaic in some scenes. When I raised it to 4 mb video bitrate, mosaic was gone, the image became much sharper and much more accurate. For a 2 hour movie, it would create a size lower than 4 GB, which can fit into the FAT32 formatted MicroSD card.

*** Update on March 23, 2012 - Galaxy 7.7 compared to Ipad 2 and Ipad 3 ***
A co-worker of mine brought his newly purchased Ipad 3 to the office, and I brought my Galaxy 7.7 and Ipad 2. We played the same video clip on three devices and compared them side-by-side. It is a 20-minute 1080p mpg video featuring some colorful natural scenery. We used "O Player HD" app on the Ipad 2 and Ipad 3, and "MX Video Player" on the Galaxy 7.7 tablet to play the video clip. After the extensive comparison, the people in my office reached consensus. The Ipad 3 has slightly better visual effect than Ipad 2, but its brightness, sharpness and color vividness are still no where near the Galaxy 7.7 tab. The difference between the Galaxy 7.7 and the two Ipads (Ipad 2 and Ipad 3) is much more obvious than the difference between Ipad 2 and Ipad 3. The allegedly much improved pixel resolution of the Ipad 3 is not as so easily noticeable when playing video (720p and 1080p) as viewing the photographs.
I admire Apple Ipad for being the first to introduce the tablet idea, which has allowed Apple enjoy much hype and greatest market share. I myself have owned an Ipad 2. But as a rational consumer of electronics and a serious tablet user, I believe Samsung Galaxy tablets, especially the Galaxy 7.7 tablet, seem to be the best choice in the market for watching high definition movies and TV shows because of its superior display quality.

*** Update on November 8, 2012 - Galaxy 7.7 vs. iPad 4 ***
I received the new iPad with Retina display (4th generation) yesterday. It's the most expensive tablet on the market. But I would say the price is probably justified. Despite the complaints about the proprietary features, iPad is by far the best tablet on the market in overall performance. The display is truly amazing. The speed is very fast. There is no delay in reading PDFs. I've written a review on Samsung Galaxy 7.7 earlier and spoken highly of its HD Super Amoled display. Well, the iPad Retina high resolution display (2048x1536) is a complement to the Galaxy 7.7, rather than a substitute of the same kind. They both are the best displays, but have different usages. The iPad Retina display is best suited for photo viewing. It has the most realistic colors and such high pixel density. The photos just look stunning if they are taken by a good camera. The Galaxy 7.7, however has somewhat exaggerated colors and brightness, which are best suited for movie viewing. The colors of most movies are often artificially enhanced. They are not the real colors that we see in our life. The Galaxy 7.7 is very faithful to reproduce that effect.

*** Update on October 20, 2013
It has been 20 months since I first posted this review. Samsung has introduced numerous tablets since then. But the tab 7.7 is still by far the largest size tablet which uses Super Amoled display technology. I don't know why the subsequent Samsung tablets don't use it. Maybe the technology is not cost-effective for the manufacturer. Anyway, it makes the 7.7 remain the best tablet for HD movie watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars REALITY OUTSIDE THE BOX, March 20, 2012
Soon there will be more than 30 million people jammed inside that box, lol! For third year in a row, not me! There's a real world outside that box and cannot be more of the same every year. I was amazed by tab 7.7 usefull features that i can even use it as a phone while its being a tablet, lot of things u can do to personalized. Super Amoled Plus is really more superior than retina, i took an Iphone 4S & Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket in broad daylight at the beach, Amoled is hands down superior. What the other dont have: 16x9 HD screen format, hot swappable SD card, Phone-Data or both, Unlocked format from the factory, thats freedom! 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz a/b/g/n wifi frequency, 2Megapix front camera(not vga like the revolutionry tablet lol), 5.1 surround audio, customizable equalizer. No wander Samsung got sued in Germany to block the release of this little killer earlier this year. This is a the reality outside the box, i'm glad not too many knows about it coz theyre all headed inside the box lol!

*********Update as of 25 Mar 2012 **************

Just like the screen test i did between iphone 4S and Galaxy S2Skyrocket outside at the pool side in broad daylight, only this time its between the new ipad 3 and Galaxy Tab 7.7 (International version), tested and proven, Super Amoled Plus realy outperform the over rated Retina screen of ipad3 in that harsh broad daylight setting in all three screen brightness(min, mid, max) settings. The tab 7.7 has an additional screen setting(Standard, Dynamic, Movie) leaving behind the ipad retina flat dead, lol! If any doubters out there pls perform this same test i did before making any comments coz thats the only way to prove it. I have a T mobile SIM on my 7.7 tab and uses the cellphone function, for data, i have Clear Wireless 4G Apollo wifi hot spot, using a separate hotspot takes away the abuse the 4G or LTE does to your tablet or smartphone, i heared about the ipad3 over heating issues, i never and will never hav those over heating issues coz i dont use my tablets 3G, 4G, LTE feature to receive internet data, i use wifi. Well, just like most apple diehards out there, i'll be waiting for the next version of this galaxy tab, the Quad Cores cpu. Thanks for reading. Good luck and choose wisely, its your hard earned money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Tablet -- limited activation options, May 2, 2012
I decided to write my first ever product review on the hopes that I could clear up some data/voice activation options on this tablet. As a tablet, this device is simply excellent. Battery life is superb. Screen resolution is amazing, and it's possible to read this device even in harsh direct sun. USB storage is easy via a dongle. Overall, this is a great tablet -- no, I'd say fantastic tablet. Now, let's talk about the ability to activate this device for a data and/or voice plan. T Mobile has a $30/month sim card plan for data only. I took my P6800 to their store and it was obvious there is a technical issue as follows: This tablet is 3G, not 4G. T-Mobile does not really offer a 3G network plan, although they do have a 4G plan. So, this phone works at 2G and when we did a speed test in their store, with a full 4 bars of reception, the download speed was 190 kbps. No, that's not a typo -- 190,000 bits per second, or 23759 Bytes per second. Stone age speeds. The store rep stated that that was because the device itself is not 4G, and since T-mobile doesn't offer a 3G, then we're left with slow speeds. OK, off to the AT&T store. 4 hours in the AT&T store with many different reps huddled around the tablet. Bottom line is this: with AT&T the 3GB monthly data only plan is not available for this device! We even plugged in a sim card from one of their 4G tablets into the P6800, and although it showed 4 bars of reception, there was no connection service whatsoever (would not register). This plan is for 4G devices (which they sell). If you want an AT&T data only plan with this tablet, with no contract, then you have to go with the 5GB (maybe it was 6GB) plan for $50/month. Wow, that's a lot of dollars for data only! That's especially a lot of dollars per month if you are not a download junkie and feel that you only need 2-3GB per month. Final option: Straightalk. If you bring your own device (not purchase one from them) then you are not eligible for their $30/month data only plan. Instead you have to use their $45/month unlimited talk/text plan. My Straighttalk sim arrives tomorrow and I'll evaluate how it works with this P6800. I was really hoping for this to be a data only device and I'd keep my phone -- because it's easy to carry the phone with you everywhere -- and NOT so easy to carry a tablet with you to be used as a phone. I was hoping to use my phone for just phone service and the tablet for everything else. This is definitely possible with AT&T, but at $60/month no contract and $45/month Straighttalk (not yet tested). I'd like to reiterate that my evaluation of the tablet as a Wi-Fi only device is 5 stars; however, as a tablet that you want to use with data connectivity -- there are "plan" limitations due to it being only a 3G device. It's possible, but at higher costs.

Update:
I received the Straighttalk Sim with the only plan available: unlimited everything (on the AT&T network, I believe). This was easy to install. You do have to modify the APN settings on the Samsung device, but Straighttalk provides all of the info, both online and in the Services Guide. Worked the first time and is extremely fast in my part of town in Folsom. Downloads seem blazingly fast and the phone conversation is as clear as a bell. Several aps downloaded so fast that I had to check to see if I still had the Wi-Fi on (I did not). Wow, very impressed. This changes everything. Although I was originally wanting only data service for the Samsung P6800, this is so fast and so worry-free (no contracts) that I'm now considering closing my smartphone service and just using the Samsung Galaxy Tab P6800. Finding an easy way to carry this device around will be the challenge. You can just drop your phone in your pants pocket, or attach to your belt if you are geeky engineer, but this tab will be a challenge to carry at all times effortlessly. I'm ultra-impressed with all of the features, and now with the ability to talk AND use it outside the US -- sweet device!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning display, great size, pretty close to perfect so far!, April 9, 2012
I purchased Samsun Galaxy 7.7 with Prepaid month-to-month data plan from Verizon. This means I do not have to pay for the data plan each month, it means I can activate when and only when I want it with no activation or cancellation fees. Right now I plan to use the tablet as a WiFi only, but if I need I can activate broadband data plan (say if I am going on a trip and no sure if there will be WiFi capabilities).

This was an expensive way to get this device ($699.99), compared to an international version with WiFi only which is currently $549.99-$659.99. But Verizon unit is not grey market, has US warranty, and I do have an ability to get broadband if I need it. I have a personal deadline for the purchase due to a trip, and there is no information when the WiFi only unit (non-international) will be available.

A word of caution if you decide to purchase one at the Verizon store. Some sales staff is not aware that it is possible to buy a prepaid device without purchasing a contract. Even though I stated I was interested in WiFi only and purchased prepaid no-contract device, the sales clerk charged me both an activation fee and first month service (an additional $86). He said that I can cancel the contract after one month without a cancellation fee. Both charges were a mistake on his part: pre-paid devices never have an activation fee, and I was not required to buy one month service if I did not want it. I was able to correct this problem by speaking to the manager, but it required me to know that he was in error even though he sounded very confident about both charges.

While making my purchasing decision I compared IPad 3, ASUS® Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201 10.1, Galaxy 10.1 Tab, Galaxy 7" Tab, Galaxy 7.7" Tab, and Amazon Fire.

I wanted a tablet for accessing internet while I am traveling, specifically I want to be able to sell on Ebay, access my email, use Google maps, use Open Table, Yelp, TripAdvisor, and Priceline. Secondarily I want to be able to read Kindle books. Thirdly I want to develop apps for my tablet.

Originally, I thought I'd buy Amazon Fire because I am big Amazon fan, have a lot of Kindle books, and the price of Amazon Fire is very attractive. However when I did hands-on experimentation with various devices, I realized that my internet needs were more important to me that my media needs and Amazon Fire browser was a bit slower than the others, and some of the apps did not run on it.

The 10.1 inch tablets felt a little large, I wanted something that I could easily fit in my purse. The Amazon Fire and the Galaxy 7" tab felt about the size I wanted. However, Galaxy 7" screen resolution made the keyboard cover most of the screen and data entry typing (which I will need to do quite a bit of) was difficult. But when I saw Galaxy 7.7" in a Verizon store it was a hands down winner. The screen is totally amazing, both the resolution and the colors. In side-by-side comparison with iPad 3, Galaxy's display was better. The tablet itself is very slim (0.31 inches) and weights 12 oz (see photo #2 in a collage of images I posted under customer photos).

SCREEN:
The AMOLED screen is the best feature of this device. Sharp, crisp, bright. It was the best screen on all devices that I compared before this purchase. LCD Native Resolution: 1280 x 800 pixels.
Photo #1 in my image collage shows the screen, but does not give it full justice.

Capacitive touchscreen requires some getting used to (it is my first device with this type of interface). I am getting better and placing things where I want them, but sometimes it takes several attempts. I like the keyboard, it has a nice feedback and once I got used to the timing (you need to slightly pause between keystrokes) I am not making a lot of mistakes. The most difficult operation is to insert the letter in the middle of the text. Due to high resolution of the screen it is possible to use the keyboard in horizonal orientation and still see enough of the screen to make it usable (something I could not do well in my tests of Galaxy 7.0)

SIZE:
I consider the tablet's size its second most important to me feature. Big enough not only to play but do some work, yet small enough to be portable.
Size (LWH): 7.74 inches, 5.2 inches, 0.31 inches
Weight: 12 ounces (photo #2 shows Galaxy on the postal scale)

BATTERY LIFE:
Galaxy 7.7 has Li-Po 5100 mAh which is rated for 1200h of stand-by time.
After charging it over night, the next day I used it continuously in disconnected mode for 8 hours. This was 8 hours of heavy usage: installing, testing, and uninstalling apps. After 8 hours of non-stop use the battery went down to 20% (at which point it gave me a warning beep). I put it back into the charger and in 3 hours the battery was back up to 96%. On the day that it was in stand-by mode and just buzzed when I got mail, the battery went down only 12%.

STORAGE:
The unit came with 16GB and has microSD memory card slot which accepts up to 32GB.

USB:
It has a regular USB connection. When attached my computer it appears as drive and I can access as any USB device for copying content. It can also be charged this way, but a slower rate than the dedicated charger.

SPEAKERS:
The tablet has stereo speakers 3.5mm jack, and the sound it generates is very good. The volume with and without speakers has a large range. I enjoyed listening it to it with and without headphones.

CAMERA:
The cameras on the tablet are not the strong point of this tablet. It is okay in a pinch, but I don't see using either one of them much. However, I am serious photography amateur and have several fairly good cameras so I have a certain bias when evaluating this feature. I am attaching 2 photos taken by the tablet. One with a flash and one without a flash. As you see the one taken without a flash is a little soft.

KINDLE READER:
Kindle reader app looks the same as the PC Kindle Reader. For usability, I actually prefer the Amazon Cloud reader, which also works by connecting to it from the browser.

NEGATIVES:

Not much so far!

1. Galaxy 7.7 still runs on Honey Comb 3.2 but slated to upgrade to ICS (date unknown). So it is missing some capabilities that are available in ICS. So far the one that mattered to me is that Chrome browser is not available for Honey Comb, and there is no perfect tool for syncing your bookmarks at no additional cost. Chromemarks light is not integrated with the browser. Xmarks and Chromemarks commercial versions are the non-free alternatives.

2. The touch screen takes some getting used to. You need to learn to delay between keystroke when typing. Positioning on a specific letter to correct a spelling mistake is not that easy.

COMPARISON of some basic features between Galaxy 7.7" and Galaxy 7" Tabs:
Size (LWH): 7.62 inches, 4.82 inches, 0.39 inches
Weight: 12.16 ounces
Size (LWH): 7.74 inches, 5.2 inches, 0.31 inches
Weight: 12 ounces
Honey Comb 3.2 plus TouchWiz
Dual Core 1.2 GHZ CPU
7.7" Galaxy:
Honey Comb 3.2 plus TouchWiz (announced it will get ICS)
Dual-core 1.4 GHz CPU
LCD Native Resolution: 1024 x 600 pixels
LCD Native Resolution: 1280 x 800 pixels
Display Type Super AMOLED Plus capacitive touchscreen
3.0 MP rear camera, 2.0 MP front camera
3.15 MP rear camera, 2.0 MP front camera
===============================

If you are looking for a leather case for this tablet, I am pleased with this one Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 Leather Folio Case for Tablet Black Cover Protector. See my review/photos of it for more details.

So far I am quite pleased with Galaxy 7.7, it is just the right size for my needs and the screen makes it a pleasure to work with even for my presbyopic eyes.

Update 6/27/12

After using the table for 2.5 month daily I still love it. No problems or complaints!

I was wondering how the updates for the tablet would go without a data plan. I am happy to report that I was able to successfully perform over the air update (a minor update to Honeycomb). To check for updates select "Settings", then "About device", and then on the right hand side there will be an option for "System updates". If there is an update available it will be listed there.

Ali Julia review

4.0 out of 5 stars Seller Transformersandgsmphones not being clear: this is a used product, May 22, 2012
I'll remove this review once they sell out of their stock but if you're buying this from Transformersandgsmphones you should be aware that they are practicing deceptive marketing here.

The tablet I bought was in a broken box, and had obviously been handled. It was "re-sealed" with some dirty scotch tape, and while the device itself was in working order, I feel that the price I paid was nearly $100 too high for a used product of this model. Search a well known online auction site to see what I mean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Tablet Computer, March 22, 2012
I recently received my Galaxy Tab 7.7 in the mail and my initial impressions are very positive. I've upgraded from the original Tab 7.0, and the difference in video quality is stark. There's really no comparison. My old 7.0, though still a nice tablet, appears noticably fuzzier after viewing the 7.7. I would say the resolution on the 7.7 is as good if not better than the resolution on the Ipad 2. I haven't seen the new Ipad, so can't comment on that, but I'm sure the video comparions between the Galaxy Tab and the new Ipad (3?, 2S?) will be cropping up soon on Youtube. It doesn't really matter to me if the new Ipad has a better resolution or if owning an Ipad or being in the prescence of one is akin to spiritual Nirvana. The Galaxy Tab display quality is more than sufficient for me. I think the 7.7 inch screen is a perfect size for a tablet computer. Anything bigger than that and it gets chunky, as has been pointed out in other reviews. I like have something I can view and hold comfortably with one hand. The 7.7 has been touted as the best Android in the 7-inch catagory, and I believe it.

Another reason for selecting the 7.7 over Galaxy Tab 8.9 or 10.1, besides the ideal size of the tablet, is the fact that it has a built-in slot for a micro-SD card. Neither the 8.9 nor the 10.1 have that. You have to purchase a separate SC card adapter for those devices. I prefer the all-in-one design of the 7.7. I travel a lot with my job and don't want to have to carry extra attachments for my device, other than the power cord.

I haven't had a chance to play around much with apps yet on this unit, but did get to check on the Kindle for Android app. It works beautifully on the Tab. I especially love the night-mode option.

I purchased my new Tab from On The Go Solutions. They tend to be pricier, but I was able to buy my Tab rooted and unlocked from them. Not to mention they support what they sell. Even though rooting the tab voids the manufacturer warranty, On The Go offers their own warranties at an additional cost, and you have the added benefit of being able to ship your unit back to them for repair or upgrades should it ever become necessary.

All in all I am happy with my purchase. I have no complaints so far. Android 3.2, which the unit comes installed with, takes a little getting used to, but that's not a really big deal. Highly recommend the Galaxy Tab 7.7.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost there..., February 5, 2012
This is an awesome tablet. Its only downfall is the Samsung Touchwiz interface. Unfortunately it rally causes alot of lag in the system. I imagine all of that will go away over the next few months wth software updates but right now its kind of annoying. The tablet is a perfect size. It fits well in the hand, its light, and the screen is perfect for one or two person viewing of a movie. The screen is very nice. I have a 10 inch Acer tablet and an ipad2, both are fantastic and offer a little nicer viewing experience but neither is as comfortable to hold for extended periods, neither is something you can put in a pocket and take anywhere, and neither pulls double duty as a phone. Samsung did it right with this one they just need to patch the software or upgrade to ICS.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tablet, September 16, 2012
I have had this tablet for about a month and a half. Overall very pleased. I am in the US and have flashed a stock version of ICS on it, so keep that in mind. I do not feel this tablet would be nearly as good stuck on HoneyComb.

With a 32gb MicroSD this tablet has a bunch of storage. I can keep 16-20gb of music on the external and never have to worry about moving music or movies on and off depending upon where I am going. I still have room to keep 2 or more HD movies on the internal as well as tons of room for offloading shots from my OMD-EM5 and editing them with Adobe Photoshop Touch while on the go. This was key for me. That extra 16gb of storage vs say a 32gb Kindle Fire HD or Nexus 7 32gb makes a big difference to me. I chuck this thing in my man bag, throw on some music, and have movie options as well when I get back onto public trans. (I would like to add that users have been using 64gb microSD cards in this unit. There seems to be problems with the Class10UHS1 cards, but Class 6 versions of a 64gb seem to run just fine)

I have found this tab to be the perfect size if you wish to be mobile. It is comfortable to hold with one hand while on a jostling train to read kindle books and still has enough screen real estate to make browsing enjoyable. Having the SIM slot is another bonus. Using Straight Talk prepaid one can get unlimited HSPA data running on AT&T's network. If you go overseas at all, you can throw in a local SIM and have data on the go. It is simply chock full of options for any situation.

If you are getting a tablet to use at home and never really on the go then a 10" is more reasonable, but this guy is the best of all worlds, mobility and home use. I find the 7.7" screen excellent for watching movies in bed or just lying on the couch, or sitting on a bus during a commute. And being this size, it will fit in far more bags than a larger tablet.

The SAMOLED screen is ridiculous for watching movies. It just can't be beat for movie watching vs any other screen technology out there. AFAIK this is the only tablet with a SAMOLED screen. I can stream a 2 hour HD movie on wifi and not even lose 20% of battery running at 85%+ screen brightness. The weakness of SAMOLED in regards to battery life, is producing whites, so for web browsing where you have mostly a white screen, battery life goes down. I have found that using Opera Mobile gets you far better battery life than Chrome, which tends to utilize far more CPU speed for some reason on my tab. I can get 7-8 hours of straight wifi browsing.

This puppy is expensive but you get a very well built, made out of metal, fully featured tablet that can do it all. It's too bad Apple sued for having rounded corners and this tab was banned from the EU, and Samsung seems to have discontinued it. With the specs it has though, it will last for years and do well. The key is if you are not in an area where it is auto updated to ICS, you are going to have to flash ICS (check XDA forums) to get the full benefits of a speedy and smooth Android OS with more features than HC. It is very easy.

If the Nexus 7's 32gb of storage with nothing expandable is a dealbreaker, this is the tablet for you, and if you want the SAMOLED screen and the option to use data away from wifi. When I commute to the city from NJ for work, this has come in very handy.

4.0 out of 5 stars What iPad Mini?, November 14, 2012
Upgraded to the official Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 and runs like a charm. I recently purchased it because I thought it was a better alternative to the iPad Mini and I already own a full sized iPad, which can be too big for many applications. I find the almost 8-inch screen "just right" for most applications.

Seems more than a coincidence that the current price and the dimensions are so similar to the iPad Mini 3G/4G, and this device has been on the market for quite some time now (just over a year old)... Who's copying who? lol One might say that the iPad Mini is much newer and is therefore a better choice, however it is basically an iPad 2 (almost 2 years old) shrunken down with a better camera and a new dock connector.

The fact that its screen is better than the iPad Mini (widescreen with 1280x800 pixels), and has expandable storage (not to mention it makes phone calls/SMS if you need that!) I see it as money better spent.