Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Having been a Blackberry user for several years but also owning an iPod4 64G, I finally decided to replace my 2-year old Blackberry Curve with a smartphone and went for the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, cheaper than the iPhone and has had generally positive reviews from users.

I've been using the Samsung now for a couple of weeks. Before getting into details about a few of the amazing features of this excellent phone, here is a summary of what I really liked about the Blackberry Curve and how the new Samsung compares:

1. It was easy to type text on the Blackberry because it has a physical keyboard which even a user with big fingers can cope with. I was put off on-screen keyboards a couple of years ago by the truly appalling and virtually un-usable Blackberry Storm, but the Samsung is really OK in this department even though its keyboard appears on-screen because the key points are so large, and when you finger a key a larger image of it pops up to confirm which key you have activated.

2. The Blackberry's party piece was very easy and intuitive email management, which I need to use all day long for business messages. Well, the Samsung is surprisingly good here too, with the added bonus of a huge screen and the facility to enlarge or reduce text size with a sweep of the fingers, iPhone style. The text clarity is first class.

3. The Blackberry has very long battery life and typically I'd only need to charge it every 4 or 5 days, even with heavy usage. The Samsung does not fare well in comparison and needs daily charging, but there's a number of things you can do to prevent high power consumption like turning off features you're not using and not playing music through it (if using the phone principally as an iPod-like music player is important to you, then this Samsung may not be for you as battery life will be reduced to a few hours).

4. The Blackberry is small and handy in size, whereas the Samsung is 3x larger (but about the same thickness) - however in compensation, you get that amazing huge screen

Here's a summary of the main features of this amazing phone from my non-techie perspective:

* The AMOLED screen on the Skyrocket is definitely its star attraction: huge, bright and clear with fabulous colour definition, it's even better than the iPhone or iPod. Designers have finally copped-on that people don't want ever smaller and smaller phones and no-one wants to watch a movie on a screen 1.5cm square; they want something of a convenient size that they can use and read easily at arm's length

* Despite the substantial size, it's thin and lightweight at only 116g which makes it no problem in your pocket and a big advantage to a smaller person when making long calls (the iPhone for example is around 20g heavier)

* All functions are very intuitive and easy to use - at least as good as the iPod4 with a similar feel

* Calls are easy to make due to the big clear graphics and easy-to-follow menus - however it has some minor quirks like you can't answer a call by actually pressing the green phone symbol, you have to `sweep' across it - but once you learn this, everything is OK. The ear-speaker and voice-mike are both very good and very clear; reception so far first-class with no dropped calls

* The quality of the image from the camera is also exemplary (but make sure the flash is turned on)

* The Samsung has a standard connect-to-computer/mains charger socket, a micro-USB port located on the base-edge of the phone. Finally manufacturers have chosen (not before time) to stop ripping-off their customers by making them buy new chargers with every new handset and begun to standardize - FINALLY!

In summary I'd say if you're looking for a smartphone, the Samsung is a very serious contender. It's beautifully designed, its screen is absolutely amazing - you need to just use it for a couple of minutes to appreciate how good it is - yet it's lightweight. The menus are intuitive and easy to master; it has loads of optional software and aps (mostly free to the user, unlike with Apple); making calls and managing email is a breeze. It's a weather forecaster, a GPS street-finder and a web browser with astoundingly clear screen definition unlike anything I ever used before.

Possible cautions include barely acceptable battery life, and for this it drops a star: if you're a current Blackberry user you'll really notice this, and especially so if you use it as a music player. Also the Skyrocket might be intimidating if you're a technophobe who just wants a simple phone to make calls. But it compares very well in all essentials against the iPhone: it's lighter, cheaper and the screen is better, and most of the aps for which Apple charges you, you get with the Samsung for free.

One final point: make sure you buy a good robust case and a screen protector for it; there's plenty of choice and most of them do the job OK.
55 comments|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2012
My first Android phone was a Samsung Captivate which I really enjoyed despite the three major flaws: poor battery life, under-powered processor and limited RAM (i.e. freezing and lagging) as well as limited storage. In comparison to the Samsung Captivate, the Samsung Skyrocket has a much bigger screen but feels lighter, has a more than capable processor as well as sufficient RAM (hence the phone never freezes or lags), it has greater battery capacity, and I can use a 32GB MicroSDHC card. I use a Diztronic Matte Back Clear Flexible TPU Case made for the Skyrocket (available on Amazon). Most people mistake the phone for the Galaxy S III. The two complaints I have about the phone: 1) the screen can run hot and 2) battery life is not stellar if you are actively using your cell or wi-fi signals. I would recommend definitely recommend this phone to mid-range to high end users, especially if the price is right. In addition, this phone was also easy to "root."
on June 9, 2013
Do not buy this phone from the seller Joycells. I order three phone and according to the description the phone is white but they send me all black color phone. Also the accessories on the picture is missing as in picture showing (e.g headphone, battery, back cover) . The battery on the phone is not original from Samsung.
on January 9, 2013
Seller is not describing this item correctly, most of the specifications listed are for Galaxy SII Skyrocket which is SGH-I727 but if you pay attention to model it is listed as SGH-I777 which is what you will get if you order it from this seller. Check out Samsung website to verify which SGH model is actually Skyrocket and which device operates at 1.5GHz or 1.2GHz.
11 comment|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2013
I'm a big fan of the GALAXY'S! Anyways this phone is great, its 4.5 inch screen is perfect to watch videos or movies. The camera quality is great and also the front camera quality is good. It also records videos in HD. I love this phone because its very fast and it doesn't slow down if I have various apps running at the same time. Only problem I had was that the phone wasn't unlocked when I received it. I called my seller and they kindly provided the unlock code. If your buying this phone buy it from WIRELESS EXPERTS they have good customer service.
on July 11, 2013
The phone was fine when it arrived. But the phone got locked after a software upgrade from Samsung. Contacted the seller for unlock code but they didn't get back to me.
on May 16, 2013
Excellent phone for straight talk perfect, just want I wanted, cell phone companies should do this instead of $90 monthly service and a price break on a phone, i've got $360.00 into this phone with sim and accessories , but my monthly is only $41.33, for unlimited everything, sweetness
33 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2013
I purchased the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket from Bytes of Deals. WARNING: Chances of product being refurbished and sold as new are very high for the following reasons:
1. Box is not what is expected or shown on the product pics - the colourful box with pics and logo of the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket on it. Instead box is a simple generic black box with Samsung logo alone! I know the difference because I purchased the same phone months before and it came in the proper box.
2. There is no manual in the box!
3. The headphones are not the standard Samsung headphones!
4. Phone appears to be reset as it does not guide you through the initial phone start up as I had received when I bought the same phone months before.
All evidences seem to show that this phone was reset and then re-packaged in a generic box with no manual and no original Samsung headphone!

ADDITIONALLY: The Amazon seller - Bytes of Deal's storefront is closed and attempts to contact them are futile. Smells fishy and like a scam. I only hope Amazon is not a part of this!
on January 28, 2012
This phone is insane I haven't been able to put it down for the last 6 hours. I am totally mesmerized, Iphone who? cant believe I was considering a new iphone. This is the best of both worlds without the apple BS! that all I have to say. Once u go galaxy u can never go back.
1717 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2013
This is not a unlock phone! And it is not a AT&T Phone! Very unhappy! I open it up place my SIM card and didn't work called T-Mobile rep said the phone is not unlock!