Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

Color: White|Style Name: Tablet|Change

on May 2, 2014
This is my review of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1. This review is not incentivized by Samsung in any way. I purchased the product for my own use.

What is it?

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 is the aforementioned company’s latest foray into the midrange tablet market. With these tablets you’re not likely to find a “retina display” or anything over 720p resolution, but they’re more reasonably priced, and therefore, more likely to be adopted by more people.

Specifications

Processor: 1.2 GHz Quad Core
Memory: 1.5GB
Storage: 16GB with additional microSD slot
Display: 1280×800
Operating System: Android Kit Kat 4.4 with Samsung’s TouchWiz UI
As you can see, those specs really aren’t too shabby, but they’re definitely not bleeding edge technology. However, having the latest and greatest isn’t always the best. For example, I recently purchased the higher end Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 and was utterly disappointed in it. Yes, the screen was beautiful but you could tell that not a lot of games had been properly coded for that resolution as the HD graphics appeared pixelated and blocky. Also, the Tab Pro suffered from massive lag and stuttering when when navigating through the operating system. You can read about my experience with that tablet here. It was promptly returned to Best Buy.

Back to the Galaxy Tab 4.

As mentioned earlier, it runs Kit Kat 4.4 with Samsung’s custom TouchWiz user interface over top. In my opinion, this isn’t a bad thing since I have never been a fan of HTC’s Sense UI. It sadly still comes packed full of bloatware that I almost always remove if possible.

Initial Thoughts

Being an ex-member of the cult of Steve Jobs, I am still getting used to the Android world and the lack of high resolution displays in some products. The Galaxy S5, which I own, has the best display and form factor on the market right now. Are you listening Apple? Thankfully, there are cheaper Android tablets available that still offer a high quality user experience.

Once you go through the obligatory setup screens and sync your applications, the tablet is zippy and runs with no lag whatsoever. Overall memory utilization is low when using several apps at once and multi-tasking.

Display

OK, this is a 720p display. You will notice a difference if using an S5 and then the Galaxy Tab 4 – but let’s not compare the two. The 1280×800 screen is actually quite beautiful and bright. This is one of the brighter screens I’ve seen on a midrange tablet. Text is sharp as are the graphics, both are quickly rendered thanks to the 1.5GB RAM and quad core processor. Yes, I think it should be a 1080p panel, but it’s a $319 tablet.

Performance

I was able to open apps and switch between them fairly quickly. This little tablet is definitely more responsive than it’s bigger, more expensive brother. Even under heavy use the Tab 4 performed excellent. It’s able to handle video encoded to 1080p with no stutter, even though it’s obviously rendered at 720p on the screen. No complaints at all about performance.

Final Impressions

I’m still an Apple fanboy, just now living in an Android world. I really like the Galaxy Tab 4. It’s fast, responsive, light, and does what I need it to do. I feel like for the most part, I could ditch my laptop when traveling. That is, as long as I’m not running a GoPro, or editing HD video.

The display is not as sharp as I like, but the applications and games I use are not upated to be displayed yet at the higher resolutions on the Tab Pro.

Kit Kat has grown, the OS takes up about 4GB of the internal 16GB, and by the time you add-in the Samsung applications and associated bloatware, you have only about 9GB of usable space. That almost sounds like a Surface tablet, no? LOL Sorry, couldn’t resist. Samsung says the answer is to use a microSD card – which you will want to do immediately. They state on their site, that a maximum of 64GB is supported, although I am tempted to buy a 128GB and try it. I know those work in the S5.

So, should you buy it? If you like new gadgets, sure. If you want a great performing Android tablet for a great price, absolutely. I can’t really find anything wrong with this little guy. It’s a keeper.

UPDATE

I pre-ordered the Galaxy Tab 4 on Amazon at $349. It was released May 1st, and it looks like the price was dropped to $319.99, making it an even better value.
3030 comments|904 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2014
This product is an iPad crusher. I have several iPads, iPhones, iPods and Mac computers. I love Apple products but this Samsung Tab 4 is better, faster, easier to use and comes with a host of standard features that Apple does not even have available such as opening most attachments, file system connectivity and what I love is the enhanced print features. Finally, there's the price. At half the price there is no question that this is the tablet to buy.
66 comments|632 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Updated review (August 9, 2015) I love this tablet so much that I now own TWO Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 tablets (first one I purchased I keep in my bedroom and use it daily instead of my bulky laptop)! The first one has Lollipop from a late June, 2015 OTA Update. Regarding my second Tab 4 10.1...August 9, 2015, just received my OTA Lollipop, so both tablets have Lollipop!

Second Tab 4 10.1 (I use this ALL THE TIME in my Kitchen), and it is so peppy with Lollipop, saves some on battery and the Lollipop is much improved over KitKat. If you buy the Tab 4 10.1, it may take you a few days for you to receive Lollipop. Go to Settings, General tab, About device, Updates, press auto update, and then update and it will check to see if your uodate is ready, be sure you want it because when you update, no going back...the uodate takes about 40 minutes to complete and you need at least 75 percent battery or higher.

PROS/SPECIAL FEATURES I FOUND WHILE TESTING THIS TABLET:

+ Size - This Tab 4 10.1 is perfect watching videos, pictures and movies. What I do to carry it around is to place it in a large backpack or in a large tote purse. **The advantage is that now I do not have to carry my laptop with me when I travel anymore. I purchased a small and portable Bluetooth keyboard so I can type easily…this also fits into my backpack for travel. Saves weight and I type just like I am on my laptop at home.

+ Lollipop Update and More… The tablet I find is quite responsive and peppy with no lagging. The Lollipop runs this tablet wonderfully…Yes, I updated this to Lollipop in June, 2015 (it came with KitKat). Since the update, it runs smoother with no lagging whatsoever. I made sure that I updated ALL my personal apps BEFORE I updated so they are Lollipop ready!
About updating to Lollipop: Be sure you want to do this as once you update, you cannot go back to KitKat. Also, for best results before you update the OS (I found this to be true), be sure to update your Apps from the Playstore to the newest updates. This is so your apps will be Lollipop ready and they will work well. And also be sure that your battery has at least 75 to 80 percent of battery left as the update will take about 45 or more minutes to complete and then your tablet will need to restart and reset the apps etc.

+ Clear and Vivid Screen Resolution, Brightness and Other Info – It is true that this is the highest resolution, yet in my opinion, I find the colors vivid, pictures and text sharp! Watching videos and movies on this I find very clear

+ Battery life/Speed – Very good battery life! For me, I have found that I am constantly on WiFi (Internet). However, I also find that this tablet gets me at least 1 to 2 hours MORE daily than my older Tab 3 10.1 did!

+ WiFi Connecting/Speed of WiFi and MORE - This tablet connects SUPER quickly to my home WiFi and has never ever dropped the WiFi signal no matter where I am in my home. WiFi is VERY STRONG using this device, even when I am very far from my router I still have 4.5 bars! *** To test the speed and strength of this WiFi and compare it to my other Android devices, I went to the Playstore and got the free app called WiFi Analyzer. This is a MUST HAVE app for any Android device as it gives you a visual report on the WiFi strength of your tablet, phone etc.

+ SPECIAL INFO about INTERNET CONNECTION - Yes, this is a WiFi only, but when you are away from an WiFi internet hotspot location, there are ways to can get onto the internet such as MiFi and there are ways that you can purchase equipment so that you can have data when you do not have a WiFi hotspot available.

+ Internet & Webpage & Video Viewing - The stock browser does a wonderful job and it opens up webpages very fast. Also I tried Maxthon Browser and this worked very well yet I still prefer the Internet App. Also, I tried out the factory installed Chrome Browser and liked it OK, yet again, I went back the the stock Internet App (this is my preference). Note that the Playstore has many very good (FREE) internet browsers as Dolphin, Opera and many more!

+ EXTERNAL SLOT FOR MICRO SD CARD. This is a must for me as I keep my personal files, photos, and music on my internal SD card. I installed a SanDisk 32GB SD card and it works great on this tablet and I placed my music and files on it and have plenty of space left.

+ Camera / Video Camera – OK camera for a tablet…I took this out on a trip and videoed and took some pictures inside and outside. Inside videos and pictures had good lighting and the pictures were quite clear! I am amazed because I forgot to bring my regular digital camera and I was very pleased with the videos and the still pictures. Hint: This tablet has NO FLASH so be sure that inside and outside shots have adequate lighting. Outdoors be sure to take a picture where there is NO GLARE. I took my time and did that and believe it or not, these pictures were some of the BEST ones that I ever took as I held the tablet firm (no shaking) and the colors and sharpness were wonderful However, I found that I use my digital camera for serious picture taking.

+ Home Videos - The stock video player is OK and plays MOST home videos, however, may I suggest QQ Player (Free App from Playstore and the ONLY one I recommend as it plays every home video I tried).

+ Music Player/Sound Quality - This model has the regular MUSIC App, which plays by playlists, songs, albums and even folders. Also there is Google Music app is pre-installed in this tablet and does a fine job. However, I installed the FREE app called Rocket Player from the Playstore and love this music player! As for sound quality - The best way to really enjoy music is through a high quality Bluetooth speaker or Bluetooth headset as the sound quality is superb this way and you can walk about your home listening to your music!

+ OTG USB Compatible (On the Go USB Micro Adapter) - You will need to purchase a OTG (On the Go) Micro USB adapter (Amazon sells them and the cost is under 20 dollars in most cases, just type in OTG Micro Adapter in the search-box for a list of them). This will allow you to plug in your mouse, Flash Drive to the adapter on the large end and plug the small Micro end into the USB port on the Samsung tablet. Then you just plug in your flash drive and you can copy files to the flash drive so easily or view files that are on the flash drive. *Note that portable external hard drives and portable DVD/CD drives will not work using OTG in this tablet because they require a lot of power.

--- ONE MINOR CON - The USB charging port is located at the bottom of the tablet. What this means is that when I want to keep charging the tablet and use it as well and place it on my tablet stand I bought, it will not work right side up in LANDSCAPE MODE.
However, there is a perfect fix for this: I simply place the tablet in LANDSCAPE UPSIDE DOWN with the USB Port ON TOP and then I place it into the stand for table top viewing! This is possible because of the auto rotation!
Also, my MoKo cover/case has a hole for the USB port so I keep it in this and can charge it overnight when the stand is closed. But in this stand, to keep the tablet in the stand to view it, I have to take the USB charger cable out while I am viewing this say in a coffee shop, hotel etc.
I rate this 4.9 stars rounded off to 5 stars because of this minor con.

Bottom line- Would I buy this tablet all over again? Yes, and I liked it so much that I bought a second one to keep on my Kitchen Island area to use to read my recipes, check weather, music and more! This is still my favorite tablet!
1313 comments|104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 1, 2014
Samsung has done it again! They are releasing tablets at very periodic intervals. Samsung's fourth generation of Galaxy Tab series is as expected and for this price point phenomenal. I have been using Galaxy Tab 2 and 3 and I am very much impressed with Galaxy line of devices. In my opinion 8" is the maximum value for the money and features and hence I gave 8" a 5 star. If you are looking for playing games/reading books, 10.1” is good. I really wish this had a better resolution. Hence only 4 stars for pixels per density for this tablet.

Samsung has introduced 7", 8" and 10.1" of the Tab 4 series. This year the space has become crowded as Samsung also has 8.4”, 10.1” and 12.2” Tab Pro Series. They are pricier, but if you can afford I very STRONGLY suggest you get the PRO series just for one thing - RESOLUTION. I was really hoping the Tab series will go to a larger resolution. But again price/performance is a factor that drives Samsung to make devices at all ranges.

Let's start off with salient points of all of the Galaxy Tab 4 series. I will later compare with the previous Tab 3 models. I have also listed brief specs of current leading tablets at the very end if you would like to really compare and shop. If you have Tab 3, don’t upgrade. No need to. Those devices worked well a year back and still are. The photos look just as beautiful on them as they did a year ago!

Some Tab 4 specs have certainly become better, but not in a revolutionary sense. The pixels per inch ppi is the best in 7” among all of Galaxy Tab 4 series. That is because all have same resolution and size is the variable. For a first time user, you will be blown away by the feature set now. The tablets have multi user profiles, so each user can customize like a home PC.

Look at three specs that really interest you and nail down the tablet you need. Look at the big picture, what you want from a tablet now, a year from now, what your family needs out of this and make a decision.

7-inch Galaxy Tab 4 tablet: 1280x800, 216 ppi, 1.2 GHz Quad-Core, 1.5GB RAM, 8GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD card slot (up to 32 GB), Camera: 3MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 9.74 oz. (276 grams). Android 4.4.2

8-inch Galaxy Tab 4 tablet: 1280x800, 189 ppi, Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 1.2 GHz Quad-Core, 1.5GB RAM, 16GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD card slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 3MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 11.1 oz. (315 grams). Android 4.4.2

10.1-inch Galaxy Tab 4 model: 1280x800, Qualcomm Snapdragon, 149 ppi, 1.2 GHz Quad-Core, 1.5GB RAM, 16GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD card slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 3MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 17.3 oz. (490 grams). Android 4.4.2

Look at the salient points of all of the Galaxy Tab 3 series.

7-inch Galaxy Tab 3 tablet: 1024 x 600, Marvell dual-core 1.2GHz processor, 1GB RAM, 8GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD card slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 3MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 10.58 oz. (300 grams). Android 4.1.2

8-inch Galaxy Tab 3 model: 1280 x 800, Exynos 1.5GHz dual-core processor, 1.5GB ram, 16GB of built-in storage (ROM), a microSD slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 5MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 10.9 oz. (309 grams) Android 4.2

10.1-inch Galaxy Tab 3 model: 1280 x 800, Intel Atom 1.6GHz Z2560 dual-core processor, 1GB RAM, a 16GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 3.2MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 17.99 oz. (510 grams). Android 4.2

I am not going into other details like accelerometer etc. as they are all standard these days, Audio support - AAC, AMR, MP3, OGG, WMA/ASF, 3GA/M4A, FLAC, WAV; MP3/MP4/Music Tones; Music Player; Ringtones, Polyphonic. Video support: AVI/DIVX, WMV/ASF, FLV, MKV, MP4/3GP, WEBM; Video Player; Video Streaming.

The 10.1" has a physical home button so are others in the series. Also has capacitive Back and Menu buttons. Camera is a 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for skype, and a 3-megapixel rear-facing camera. It is also equipped with an IR blaster so it will work as a universal remote on both your TV and cable box. Camera is only so and so, and I will not rely on it to produce outstanding photos. Weighs very lightweight. SD card capability is awesome! With prices plummeting for microSD GB cards, it is a great boon. Put all your music, books, photos on the SD card and you have a powerful computer in hand always! I personally use the 64 GB microSD card on my mobile devices. Get this mobileUltra (SanDisk 64GB Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC Class 6 Memory Card with SD Adapter - Retail Packaging.

This has Bluetooth 4.0" and have USB Host. USB Host is one of the most under noticed features of Androids and is in my opinion one of the best features compared to iPad lines. What this means you get a USB Host cable also otherwise called OTG (On the Go) cables and plug in your USB thumb drive or other USB devices and the device recognizes it. I have used it with Alfa AWUS036H for a wireless project with Android PCAP Capture from reputable Kismet wireless. GPS was spot on and I tried multiple GPS apps. It was bright outdoors (had to crank the brightness all the way up). I personally use Navigon from Garmin and have downloaded several apps.

Finally, believe me, don't get mired in the spec game. All devices perform most of common functions.

7” Tab is smallest, portable
8” Tab is biggers, readable
8.4” TAB PRO awesome crisp resolution - Best pixel density of all 6 Tab 4 and TAB Pro versions
10.1” TAB gameplay
10.1” TAB Pro games/books/sharper resolution
12.2” Bring on the books and Glossy magazines!

If you are reading books, browsing, listening to music, looking at photos, playing games 10.1"is definitely great. Samsung is creating markets for all form factors and I would consider this as an exploratory stage. Just like Ford or Toyota has cars in different shapes, sizes and price range, so are the tablet vendors now. Remember the laptop wars, 10", 12" 13", 15, 17 and even some 19" if I remember right few years ago. We used to debate endlessly which laptop sizes are better, which has better speakers and so on. The time has come to fight it out for tablets!

I tried following apps and they just worked awesome. A tablet is only as good as the apps you have and how productive it makes you. It's almost like the camera/lens analogy in the DSLR space. What good it is to have a great DSLR body if you have no good lens? Same with Tablet body and apps you have.

WolframAlpha (I can go on for hours praising this. This is a truly genius app powered by hundreds of supercomputers in the background. Wolfram is a computational genius).
Withings HealthMate. (another remarkable app great UI/UX). I am getting the Pulse device as soon as it hit stores.)
Aldiko Book Reader Premium (absolutely love it)
Amazon Mobile
Android Central app (great and must have for Android users)
Amazon App Store
Battery Monitor Widget Pro (a great app)
BeyondPod (excellent for podcasts, I haven't used Pocketcast, some friends say it is very good too)
Box
Chrome
Dictionary M-W Premium
NAVIGON (from Garmin - offline maps)
Google Navigation/Earth/Maps using a portable MiFi box
Google Currents (nice way to read News)
Google Keep/Keyboard/Drive/Search/Books/Voice/Hangouts
Ebay
Linkedin
Google Music (Awesome, I have now upto 10,000 songs halfway through Google's 20K Limit)
Tapatalk HD (awesome forum browsing app)
Microsoft One Note (legacy docs, skydrive of 25 GB is good)
Subsonic Music Streamer
TweetCaster Pro for Android
Skype
RealCalc Plus (Awesome calculator app)
Tweetcaster Pro (again awesomeness)
Plenty of Widgets

Ask questions, the reviews cannot do full justice. I will be glad to answer any questions and usually answer within 24 hours to any query.

APPENDIX: Overview of other tablets in the market.

Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 8.4-Inch {B,W}, WQXGA 2560 x 1600, 359 ppi, 2.3 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad-core processor, 2 GB RAM, 16/[32] GB Flash, microSD upto 64 GB, 8MP Rear + 2MP Front, 331 gm, Android 4.4 Kit Kat OS, 8.62 x 5.06 x 0.28 in, microUSB, GPS yes. 4800 mAh battery (best resolution on a tablet!)

Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 10.1 {B, W}, WQXGA 2560x1600, 298 ppi, Exynos® 5 Octa (1.9GHz Quadcore + 1.3 GHz Quadcore), 2 GB RAM, 16/[32] GB Flash, microSD upto 64 GB, 8MP Rear + 2MP Front, 469 gm, Android 4.4 KitKat, 9.57 x 6.75 x 0.29 in, microUSB, GPS: y, 8,200mAh battery

Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 12.2 {B, W}, WQXGA 2560x1600, 247 ppi, Exynos® 5 Octa (1.9GHz Quadcore + 1.3 GHz Quadcore), 3 GB RAM, 32GB/64GB Flash, microSD upto 64 GB, 8MP Rear + 2MP Front, 732 gm, Android 4.4 KitKat, 11.64 x 8.03 x 0.31 in, microUSB, GPS: y, 9500mAh battery

Samsung Galaxy NotePRO 12.2 {B, W}, WQXGA 2560x1600, 247 ppi, Exynos® 5 Octa (1.9GHz Quadcore + 1.3 GHz Quadcore), 3 GB RAM, 32/64 GB Flash, microSD card slot up to 64GB, 8MP Rear + 2MP Front, 748 gm, Android 4.4 KitKat, 11.64 x 8.03 x 0.33 in, microUSB 3.0 port with backwards compatibility with microUSB 2.0, GPS - y, 9500mAh battery, S-Pen, NFC, Ethernet connectivity via adapter.

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" model: 2560 x 1600, 339 ppi, Snapdragon 800 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2 GB RAM, 16/32/64 Flash Memory, No microSD card, 8MP rear-facing camera, front-facing 720p HD camera, 374 grams, FireOS 3.0, 9.1 x 6.2 x 0.31 inches, microUSB, GPS:no [cellular versions have GPS]

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1" 2014 Edition: 2560x1600, 299 ppi, 1.9GHz Samsung Exynos 5420 Quad-Core Processor, 3GB RAM, 16/32 GB Flash Memory, microSD slot:yes(upto 64 GB), 8MP rear camera and 2 MP front-facing camera, 560 grams, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS, 9.57 x 6.75 x 0.31 inches, microUSB, GPS:yes. S-Pen (flagship),

iPAD Air 9.7" (2013): 2048 x 1536 resolution, 264 ppi, A7/M7/64 bit processor, Flash Memory: 16/32/64/128 GB, SD Card:no, 5 MP back, 1.2 MP front, 469 grams, iOS 7, 9.4 x 6.6 x 0.29 in, lightning port, GPS:no [cellular versions have GPS]

Google Nexus 10" model: 2560 x 1600, 300 ppi, CPU: Dual-core A15, 2GB RAM, 16/32 GB, SD:no, rear:5 MP, front:1.9 MP, 603g, 10.4" x 7" x 0.35", mcroUSB, GPS:yes

You should come up with three top three specs you want and should be able to nail it down with the above spec. If you have doubts shoot me a comment, I can help! I hope the key specs I have consolidated here of all the tablets will help you narrow down and help in buying the right tablet for your needs.
115115 comments|652 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2014
I have been a tablet owner for many years, and have owned several different ones. I started years ago with a Motorola Xoom, then upgraded to a Galaxy Tab and then to Tab 2. I now own a Galaxy Note 2014. This purchase in particular was for my mother-in-law who has been my new baby's nanny while my wife has gone back to work. I LOVE Samsung products, and this tablet certainly does not disappoint. It is very fast, and has the bells and whistles that make Samsung products great.

The parts of this that made me ding it back to a 4-star though are more nit picky. First, my mother-in-law was planning to use this to also take pictures. That would have been great, except this tablet does NOT have a flash on it. I was extremely surprised, as the previous Tab's had flashes. Had I known this, I would not have made this purchase. I believe on these later models, they did away with this option and have put that onto the Pro version. In the end though, it is my fault for not double checking on this prior to purchasing. The other gripe I have, is the limitation of drive space. Me personally, I watch videos and such while commuting on a train and space is very important. However, since there is a microSD port, this is not of too big a concern for me.

All in all, this is a very fast and good tablet. Just be sure that it fits your needs well. If you intend to take pictures with it, I would recommend upgrading to the Pro version as it has the flash (which you will certainly miss if you take pictures). If you are just wanting to play games, surf the web and do email, then this tablet is an excellent option.

As with all my reviews, feel free to ask any questions and I will be happy to answer them.
11 comment|221 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2014
Ok, I'm in love with my huge tablet, its so light weight, so thin & sleek, so crispy clear on graphics and with this size its ever way better to double screen, I had some others brand tablets before also excelent but what I like about all Samsung phones and tablets is it has a micro sd card insert and that way we can have even more games apps music books and movies with us. I take it with me everywhere I go.
review image
0Comment|120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2015
Excellent Purchase. This product Puts the Ipad to Shame. I usually love Apple products but this Samsung Tab 4 SM-T530 is nicer, faster, easier to use and comes with a TON of standard features that Apple does not even have available. At half the price its a steal in my opinion.
on December 27, 2014
Hi I recently received my order: a Samsung Galaxy tab 4 and when I turned on I put the camera and appeared an error message saying "There was a server error. Restart the camera". I open the camera application several times and the message still appears which does not allow me to use it. Straight from the box I noticed that he was beaten. I'm waiting that Amazon gives me an answer of this situation.
review image
on July 22, 2015
Had I written this in the first 10 months of ownership, it would have received 4 starts. The only real complaint was one of ergonomic design. The function buttons on the front are inadvertently touched by your hand when holding it which is a pain in the rear.
But at about 10 months it started to have charging issues. I discovered I could only use the Samsung charger and cord (which makes no sense as I had one that was rated identically which should have worked). The tab where you insert the micro USB was getting loose and I continued to have problems with charging. After it refused to charge at all I ordered a brand new Samsung USB cord. Still nothing. I did my review, found out that the charging problem is unfortunately very commonly occurring after you have had your tablet for a while. I contacted customer service who ran through their "script" fixes (i.e. try the things on their cheat sheet and if that doesn't work too bad). I was given a repair identification number and forwarded on to the group who does Samsung out of warranty repairs.
This morning I have the email from them, requiring a deposit of 200. of which I will get 50. back if the screen/display is not broken in order to repair. Since my display is fine, I am looking at $150. plus the cost to ship in order to get a tablet only a little more than one year old repaired. This is nutty. I can purchase a NEW one of this model for for $238. and a refurbished one for even less. I expect that number will drop further now that the new model replacing this one is available.
There is no guarantee that the repair will be successful or that once repaired, that the problem won't occur in the future. Cost/benefit analysis is quick on this one, I am not sending it for a repair. I will send it to my son who likes to take things apart and look inside for him to play with!
Built in obsolescence irritates me. While I know there are techno folks who get the newest every year, that is not me. My laptop is almost 10 years old and I just recently purchased a new one because I it was running slow on photo editing. I still have the old one and will continue to use it for other purposes. (Toshiba at least 10 years ago made a great laptop.) Tablets however seem to last only about a year. (I have had issues with the Kindles too, but here you have Amazon who will work with you to replace at a bargain rate because they want to keep you as a customer using their proprietary tablet.)
So do I recommend this tablet? ONLY if you want a tablet for a year and are okay with it no longer charging at some later point in time.
I love Samsung products, I have a Galaxy 4 cell phone (active) and if they would just quit messing with the software updates, it would be near perfect. But right now I am looking at other tablets. Whether rich or poor, waste is bad and this ended up being a waste. (Of course if I was super rich it might not hurt as badly!)
on June 4, 2014
Let's face it, everyone wants to know how it compares to the God of tablets: the iPad. It's every bit as good. Now that it's common for people to jail break their iPads to be more like Droid devices, it's pretty obvious which is more user friendly.

The only downside of going with Droid rather than Apple is the app availability, but that's hardly the fault of a device. Strictly speaking, this thing is awesome. I didn't buy it over the iPad to save a couple hundred bucks, I bought it because it's more versatile and practical.
22 comments|147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse