5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing quality and performance at a very good price point!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 9:48 Mins
Update September 8, 2014:

Published 6 months ago by JJCEO

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware! Warranty not honored!
Published 3 months ago by Tracy

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing quality and performance at a very good price point!, May 3, 2014
Length:: 9:48 Mins

Update September 8, 2014:

About 6 weeks ago I started having issues charging the Samsung tablet. A red x appeared over the battery symbol and the tablet appeared to be charging but very slowly. This red x means that the tablet is plugged into a computer and exchanging data but in reality it was plugged into the Samsung AC wall charger using their cable.

I tried another Micro USB charging cable and it worked fine but not every time. I was worried that the charging port on the tablet was going bad. I take excellent care of my smart devices and I wanted to find out what the issue was. I contacted Samsung support using the on line message support system. It took about an hour to convince Samsung that the cable was bad and perhaps the AC wall charger.

They shipped me a new AC wall charger and the cable. I tried only the cable by itself first and it has worked perfectly every time I haved plugged it in for three weeks. I wanted to post this update in case any other user of this tablet is having a similar problem. Good luck with Samsung support as the person I dealt with was stubborn about recognizing that one of their products was defective.

---------------------

I own a lot of different tablets but this is my first Samsung and let me say that I am impressed. I went to the store to buy a 7 inch unit but quickly decided to upgrade to the 8 inch version. There were several features that I was concerned about and the 8 inch unit just fit my needs better.

* Larger screen size for reading
* More basic internal memory at 16 GIG versus 8 GIG for the 7 inch unit
* The ability to upgrade to a 64 GIG SD card instead of just 32 GIG - note: It actually will use a 128 GIG SD card. I used a Sandisk Class 10 card at 128 GIG. It is great for storage, books, apps, music and videos.

Just remember that in my experience your need for more memory grows as you use your tablet more and if you buy a smaller memory upgrade capability you may regret it. The price difference on launch day was only $40 more. I already own 8 tablets in my family so my experience has proven this need for more memory. As you add more books and more apps the memory slowly gets eaten up. I went ahead and also purchased a Samsung 64 GIG Micro SD memory card and I got a Class 10 Pro series at a cost of $55. It reads at 70 MB/s and a write speed of 20 MB/s. For under $300 you will have a powerful tablet that has more memory (80 GIG) than a 64 GIG iPad Mini for a much lower price.

Here is the link to the Samsung Memory that I purchased:

Samsung 64GB MicroSD XC Pro Class 10 UHS-1 Read Speed 70mb/s Write Speed 20mb/s MB-MGCGB Ultra Fast Speed Memory Card with SoCal Trade, Inc. Memory Card Reader

Some other key features are:

* A powerful Qualcomm quad core CPU operating at 1.2 GHZ ( You can see the speed in using the tablet)
* 1280 by 800 pixel display
* A 3 MP rear facing camera
* A 1.3 MP front facing camera
* It weighs in at 11 Ľ ounces per my scales
* Bluetooth 4.0
* Internal 16 GIG of flash memory and it goes to 80 GIG using a 64 GIG Micro SD card (Use a high quality Class 10 Micro SD card)
* 1.5 GIG of internal RAM
* A 4450 mAh internal battery pack
* Android 4.4 operating system Kit Kat
* 1080P playback and recording
* A built in IR blaster to control your TV and other infra-red devices and an App called WatchON the help you control your TV and see what is playing on your cable service.
* The tablet comes with a 31 inch charging and data cable that is a Micro USB on one end and a USB on the other.
* It comes with an AC wall charger that outputs 5 VDC at 1 Amp and it will operate on 100 to 240 VAC and 50/60 HZ.
* It features a power multitasking function that lets you see and use two apps simultaneously which is something that an Apple iPad cannot do. Very nice feature!
* You can set up multiple users and limit the apps that they can see and use.
* You can set up a child friendly and protected user interface.
* You get $300 worth of free content

I found this tablet to be extremely versatile and very fast. The quad core processor is very impressive and browsing the internet was fast and easy. Adding my Gmail account to the tablet literally took a minute. I put together a video to show you the locations for the controls and what the tablet looks like. It is a bit long and I couldn't even talk about all of the items that I wanted to include. I apologize for the length of the video but I get excited over good technology. Overall the tablet is impressive and it is well worth the money based on the quality and performance that I have seen. I rate it as a 5 star item.

You can register your device with Samsung Galaxy Perks and get more free items:

* 3 free audible books for new members
* 3 digital magazines free on Zinio for 2 months
* A free Polaris Office

Update May 2, 2014:

Last night I installed the Amazon AppStore and the Amazon Kindle reading app. I down loaded over 950 books and I was blown away by the speed of the downloads. The CPU and strong WIFI connection really shines with its speed. I was using a strong 2.4 GHz WIFI and I downloaded the speedtest app from Google Play and I could download data at 13.36 Mbps and upload data at 2.09 Mbps. Since I am on ATT Uverse that is a reasonable result. The tablet can use either a 2.4 GHz or a 5 GHz WIFI channel. On the 5GHz frequency I got 17.71 Mbps download and 2.24 Mbps upload.

I used the Amazon AppStore as I own over 1000 apps and it was fast and easy to download many of them. I could transfer them to the SD card to conserve my internal memory. I had to do this manually on some of the apps and others went to the SD card automatically.

The sound of the speaker is pretty loud for its size. I paired the tablet with a Bluetooth speaker and the process is fast and easy. I use Bluetooth a lot and I was glad to see it work so well and Bluetooth 4.0 is the low power version to help reduce battery consumption.

Over three hours of continuous work the battery dropped from 98% to 62% which is pretty good considering I downloaded over 950 books and 35 apps. I love the fact that I can use my Amazon books and apps so easily and still have access to the Google Play Store to download utilities and apps that are not available on Amazon. It is like having the best of both worlds.

Photographs are easy to take and edit. I even shot some videos. I wanted to include some in my online video but there was not enough space and time remaining to do so.

Using an app called Hangouts I was able to do face to face video calls and text messaging with my wife using our gmail account emails. The quality was as good as Facetime and the connection worked very well. I had to install the app Hangouts on my wife's iPhone 5S and the app is free on iTunes. The app was already installed on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4.

I continue to be impressed with the performance and capability of this tablet.

I did want to add that the case is slippery and a little wide to hold so I suggest that you get a case to improve your ability to grip the tablet and hold it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, July 4, 2014
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (7-Inch, White) (Personal Computers)
I bought this tablet at my local Target store on the 30th of June and let me say, this is the best tablet I ever had. It's super light and easy to use. The front and back camera are great to take selfies and pictures and it's great for taking videos. The Skype is great as well. I am a teenager myself and I am using it for school and personal stuff. I use the Google Chrome for web browsing and it's really fast. Downloading apps is fast as well as opening and running them. I have downloaded the CM Security from the Google Play Store for free and I run it once a day and it always says it's safe. I also downloaded the CleanMaster app and clean it after I'm done using it and it helps deletes the junk files and makes the device run even faster.

A couple of my relatives have both the iPad and the iPad Mini, but when I tried both of them myself, nothing compares to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4. The iPad Mini is a little bigger than this and a little lighter, but from what I experienced, the Samsung is better and it saved me $200-400.

The reading is great and I mostly download my books straight from Google Play Books and the Amazon Kindle Store. The Wattpad app (YouTube for E-books) is an awesome app for downloading free books written by teens and tranditional/self-published authors. The keyboard is great when it comes to commenting on the works and also typing my own stories.

The battery lasts much longer, too. I had mine at 100% charged and it lasted for about twelve hours of playing time (with the brightness turned to low). I have the Netflix app and I can watch the videos perfectly. It's crystal clear.

Listening to music is much more clear and easier when you put some ear buds on. The speaker is on the back of the device.

Overall, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 is a perfection! You should buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST of Galaxy Tab 4 series - BEST Pixel density of all, May 1, 2014
Samsung has done it again. They are releasing tablets at very periodic intervals. Samsung's fourth generation of Galaxy Tab series is as expected and for this price point phenomenal. I have been using Galaxy Tab 2 and 3 and I am very much impressed with Galaxy line of devices. I got to play with all of the three Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 series for few days. I like them that I am getting all three and selling last year’s model. First, if you have not had any tablets before, Get THIS! Yes, Get this 7". It is ideal for plane trips, long journeys. I had used a 7" Tablet on a long journey to listen to songs and read epub books (Aldiko) and it was a very pleasant experience. 7" form factor is lightweight, compact and great. If you are a bit experienced and can afford it, I highly recommend the 8". In my opinion 8" is the maximum value for the money and features, but 7” has the best pixel density of all three Galaxy 4 series. If you are just starting out 7” is great and prices will FALL further as year progresses.

Samsung has introduced 7", 8" and 10.1" of the Tab 4 series. This year the space has become crowded as Samsung also has 8.4”, 10.1” and 12.2” Tab Pro Series. They are pricier, but if you can afford I very STRONGLY suggest you get the PRO series just for one thing - RESOLUTION. I was really hoping the Tab series will go to a higher resolution. But again price/performance is a factor that drives Samsung to make devices at all price/performance ranges.

Let's start off with salient points of all of the Galaxy Tab 4 series. I will later compare with the previous Tab 3 models. I have also listed brief specs of current leading tablets at the very end if you would like to really compare and shop. There are too many choices out there now in 2014. If you have Tab 3, don’t upgrade. No need to. Those devices worked well a year back and still are. The photos look just as beautiful on them as they did a year ago!

Some of Tab 4 specs have certainly become better, but not in a revolutionary sense. The pixels per inch ppi is the best in 7” among all of Galaxy Tab 4 series. That is because all have same resolution and size is the variable. For a first time user, you will be blown away by the feature set now. The tablets have multi user profiles, so each user can customize like a home PC.

Look at three specs that really interest you and nail down the tablet you need. Look at the big picture, what you want from a tablet now, a year from now, what your family needs out of this and make a decision.

7-inch Galaxy Tab 4 tablet: 1280x800, 216 ppi, 1.2 GHz Quad-Core, 1.5GB RAM, 8GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD card slot (up to 32 GB), Camera: 3MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 9.74 oz. (276 grams). Android 4.4.2

8-inch Galaxy Tab 4 tablet: 1280x800, 189 ppi, Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 1.2 GHz Quad-Core, 1.5GB RAM, 16GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD card slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 3MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 11.1 oz. (315 grams). Android 4.4.2

10.1-inch Galaxy Tab 4 model: 1280x800, Qualcomm Snapdragon, 149 ppi, 1.2 GHz Quad-Core, 1.5GB RAM, 16GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD card slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 3MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 17.3 oz. (490 grams). Android 4.4.2

Look at the salient points of all of the Galaxy Tab 3 series.

7-inch Galaxy Tab 3 tablet: 1024 x 600, Marvell dual-core 1.2GHz processor, 1GB RAM, 8GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD card slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 3MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 10.58 oz. (300 grams). Android 4.1.2

8-inch Galaxy Tab 3 model: 1280 x 800, Exynos 1.5GHz dual-core processor, 1.5GB ram, 16GB of built-in storage (ROM), a microSD slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 5MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 10.9 oz. (309 grams) Android 4.2

10.1-inch Galaxy Tab 3 model: 1280 x 800, Intel Atom 1.6GHz Z2560 dual-core processor, 1GB RAM, a 16GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 3.2MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 17.99 oz. (510 grams). Android 4.2

I am not going into other details like accelerometer etc. as they are all standard these days, Audio support - AAC, AMR, MP3, OGG, WMA/ASF, 3GA/M4A, FLAC, WAV; MP3/MP4/Music Tones; Music Player; Ringtones, Polyphonic. Video support: AVI/DIVX, WMV/ASF, FLV, MKV, MP4/3GP, WEBM; Video Player; Video Streaming.

The 7" has a physical home button so are others in the series. Also has capacitive Back and Menu buttons. Camera is a 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for skype, and a 3-megapixel rear-facing camera. It is also equipped with an IR blaster so it will work as a universal remote on both your TV and cable box. Camera is only so and so, and I will not rely on it to produce outstanding photos. Weighs very lightweight. SD card capability is awesome! With prices plummeting for microSD GB cards, it is a great boon. Put all your music, books, photos on the SD card and you have a powerful computer in hand always!

I tried a OTG cable and 7" does not support OTG. I know for sure Tab 4 8" supports as I tested it. USB Host is one of the most under noticed features of Androids and is in my opinion one of the best features compared to iPad lines. What this means you get a USB Host cable also otherwise called OTG (On the Go) cables and plug in your USB thumb drive or other USB devices and the device recognizes it. GPS was spot on and I tried multiple GPS apps. It was bright outdoors (had to crank the brightness all the way up). I personally use Navigon from Garmin and have downloaded several apps.

Finally, believe me, don't get mired in the spec game. 7" is equally capable as a 8in for `most' day to day apps. If you are reading books, browsing, listening to music, looking at photos 7" is more than enough. Samsung is creating markets for all form factors. Just like Ford or Toyota has cars in different shapes, sizes and price range, so are the tablet vendors now. Remember the laptop wars, 10", 12" 13", 15, 17 and even some 19" if I remember right few years ago. We used to debate endlessly which laptop sizes are better, which has better speakers and so on. The time has come to fight it out for tablets!

I tried following apps and they just worked awesome. A tablet is only as good as the apps you have and how productive it makes you. It's almost like the camera/lens analogy in the DSLR space. What good it is to have a great DSLR body if you have no good lens? Same with Tablet body and apps you have.

WolframAlpha (I can go on for hours praising this. This is a truly genius app powered by hundreds of supercomputers in the background. Wolfram is a computational genius).
Withings HealthMate. (another remarkable app great UI/UX). I am getting the Pulse device as soon as it hit stores.)
Aldiko Book Reader Premium (absolutely love it)
Amazon Mobile
Android Central app (great and must have for Android users)
Amazon App Store
Battery Monitor Widget Pro (a great app)
BeyondPod (excellent for podcasts, I haven't used Pocketcast, some friends say it is very good too)
Box
Chrome
Dictionary M-W Premium
NAVIGON (from Garmin - offline maps)
Google Navigation/Earth/Maps using a portable MiFi box
Google Currents (nice way to read News)
Google Keep/Keyboard/Drive/Search/Books/Voice/Hangouts
Ebay
Linkedin
Google Music (Awesome, I have now upto 10,000 songs halfway through Google's 20K Limit)
Tapatalk HD (awesome forum browsing app)
Microsoft One Note (legacy docs, skydrive of 25 GB is good)
Subsonic Music Streamer
TweetCaster Pro for Android
Skype
RealCalc Plus (Awesome calculator app)
Tweetcaster Pro (again awesomeness)
Plenty of Widgets

Ask questions, the reviews cannot do full justice. I will be glad to answer any questions and usually answer within 24 hours to any query.

APPENDIX: Overview of other tablets in the market.

Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 8.4-Inch {B,W}, WQXGA 2560 x 1600, 359 ppi, 2.3 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad-core processor, 2 GB RAM, 16/[32] GB Flash, microSD upto 64 GB, 8MP Rear + 2MP Front, 331 gm, Android 4.4 Kit Kat OS, 8.62 x 5.06 x 0.28 in, microUSB, GPS yes. 4800 mAh battery (best resolution on a tablet!)

Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 10.1 {B, W}, WQXGA 2560x1600, 298 ppi, Exynos® 5 Octa (1.9GHz Quadcore + 1.3 GHz Quadcore), 2 GB RAM, 16/[32] GB Flash, microSD upto 64 GB, 8MP Rear + 2MP Front, 469 gm, Android 4.4 KitKat, 9.57 x 6.75 x 0.29 in, microUSB, GPS: y, 8,200mAh battery

Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 12.2 {B, W}, WQXGA 2560x1600, 247 ppi, Exynos® 5 Octa (1.9GHz Quadcore + 1.3 GHz Quadcore), 3 GB RAM, 32GB/64GB Flash, microSD upto 64 GB, 8MP Rear + 2MP Front, 732 gm, Android 4.4 KitKat, 11.64 x 8.03 x 0.31 in, microUSB, GPS: y, 9500mAh battery

Samsung Galaxy NotePRO 12.2 {B, W}, WQXGA 2560x1600, 247 ppi, Exynos® 5 Octa (1.9GHz Quadcore + 1.3 GHz Quadcore), 3 GB RAM, 32/64 GB Flash, microSD card slot up to 64GB, 8MP Rear + 2MP Front, 748 gm, Android 4.4 KitKat, 11.64 x 8.03 x 0.33 in, microUSB 3.0 port with backwards compatibility with microUSB 2.0, GPS - y, 9500mAh battery, S-Pen, NFC, Ethernet connectivity via adapter.

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" model: 2560 x 1600, 339 ppi, Snapdragon 800 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2 GB RAM, 16/32/64 Flash Memory, No microSD card, 8MP rear-facing camera, front-facing 720p HD camera, 374 grams, FireOS 3.0, 9.1 x 6.2 x 0.31 inches, microUSB, GPS:no [cellular versions have GPS]

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1" 2014 Edition: 2560x1600, 299 ppi, 1.9GHz Samsung Exynos 5420 Quad-Core Processor, 3GB RAM, 16/32 GB Flash Memory, microSD slot:yes(upto 64 GB), 8MP rear camera and 2 MP front-facing camera, 560 grams, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS, 9.57 x 6.75 x 0.31 inches, microUSB, GPS:yes. S-Pen (flagship),

iPAD Air 9.7" (2013): 2048 x 1536 resolution, 264 ppi, A7/M7/64 bit processor, Flash Memory: 16/32/64/128 GB, SD Card:no, 5 MP back, 1.2 MP front, 469 grams, iOS 7, 9.4 x 6.6 x 0.29 in, lightning port, GPS:no [cellular versions have GPS]

Google Nexus 10" model: 2560 x 1600, 300 ppi, CPU: Dual-core A15, 2GB RAM, 16/32 GB, SD:no, rear:5 MP, front:1.9 MP, 603g, 10.4" x 7" x 0.35", mcroUSB, GPS:yes

You should come up with three top three specs you want and should be able to nail it down with the above spec. If you have doubts shoot me a comment, I can help! I hope the key specs I have consolidated here of all the tablets will help you narrow down and help in buying the right tablet for your needs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware! Warranty not honored!, August 7, 2014
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (7-Inch, White) (Personal Computers)
I never write reviews on products, but I have to on this one....I had my tablet for about 6 months and it stopped charging. I went through the proper channels to send it off to get repaired by Samsung as there is a 1 yr warranty on the tablet. Once they got my tablet it took them 2 weeks to get back to me to tell me they weren't going to honor the warranty because there was a scratch on it (not even near where you connect the charger), but I could pay the $199 out of warranty fee to get it repaired or have them send it back to me not fixed. What does a scratch have to do with it not charging??? They wouldn't tell me why it wasn't charging; if it was the battery or the connection on the tablet, just that I had to pay them $199 to have it fixed. This is what the email said, "In order to repair the unit, we would need an out of warranty fee of $199.00. If you would prefer not to pay this fee, we can ship the unit back to you unrepaired at no cost." I will NOT pay this "out of warranty fee" nor will I EVER purchase another Samsung product again! I would not recommend this to anyone as they do not honor their warranty! My girlfriend had the same problem with her's too and they refused to honor her warranty as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice form-factor tablet, May 12, 2014
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (7-Inch, White) (Personal Computers)
I've used more than my fair share of 7" tablets, which I consider to be the ideal size. Larger ones (which I have also owned and used) tend to be a bit too clunky for my tastes. If I'm going to carry around a 10" tablet, I figure I might as well just bring an ultrabook instead- the added weight is worth the extra power, storage, and keyboard. I know some other folks love their iPad/Surface/Transformer/whatever though, so to each their own. If you're looking at this, you're probably someone who tends to agree with me. If not, you're probably looking at the wrong product.

First things first: this is not the cheapest tablet out there for the given specs, nor is it anywhere near the most powerful 7" tablet around. The Galaxy Tab 7 series, to be frank, has never scored high marks in either category- focusing more on packaging and reliability. You can get an ASUS MeMo Pad HD for about half the price as this unit, with very similar specs. You can also get a 2nd gen Nexus 7 for a little more, and it has specs that blow the Galaxy Tab 7 out of the water.

So why get one of these? Put simply, it's a good balance of relevant features. The most notable of these are:
- Android 4.4: This is a big improvement over 4.1 which the previous gen Galaxy Tab and a lot of other similar-gen devices use. Most notably, it lets you move apps to SD without root. This makes the limited internal memory largely a non-issue.
- Expandable memory: Part and parcel with the above, you can get an inexpensive 32 GB microSD card and instantly increase your device memory from 8 to 40 GB. That's plenty for even most gamers.
- Very nice form factor: This is one of the most compact and lightweight tablets available. It's noticeably shorter than the Nexus 7 (2013) and slightly lighter.
- All-day battery life: When they say this tablet can go 10 hours on a charge they aren't joking- and it's 10 hours of regular use, not with the backlight so dim you can't see anything.
- IR blaster: If you don't already have one, you can use this as a universal remote. When you consider that most good standalone universal remotes cost around $100, that's not an insignificant bit of functionality.

For the cost, this is a nice tablet that is competitive with any other in its price range. Yes, you can get cheaper ones that have similar specs, but not with all the same features (e.g. the aforementioned MeMo Pad HD doesn't have the IR blaster or Android 4.4, and the Nexus 7 doesn't have expandable memory).

There are a few things that it would have been nice to have though. Particularly I would have loved to see:
-NFC: It doesn't have it, so no google wallet, android beam, etc.
-Qi wireless charging: Not what I'd call a huge plus, but it is cool to have.
-More internal memory on stock model: Also not a huge deal as it has Android 4.4 and micro SD, but memory is so cheap nowadays- hard to imagine why they'd still have just 8 GB at this pricepoint.

A note on the 8" version. I have to say, I don't understand why anyone would get the 8.0 over the 7.0- it has the same resolution and hardware, the only significant differences are a slightly larger (in terms of dimensions) screen and up to 64 GB on the micro SD. Really not worth the added cost.

On that note, the screen is not the sharpest one out there but looks very nice and has great viewing angles. The CPU and RAM are sufficient for most applications and a lot better than the previous gen Galaxy Tab. Though not the greatest, the rear-facing camera is fine for taking Instagram shots and can record 720p video.

Aesthetically, it's a very attractive device that looks and feels well-built and has a nice textured rear that feels like leather. It has that polished look that Samsung is known for and does not look cheap.

If you're mainly an Android gamer, you may want to pay a bit more and get a Nexus 7 or other high-end tablet. However, for most people this is a great tablet that has very solid look and feel and a great feature set. If you're looking for a universal remote, it's almost worth picking up for that functionality alone. If you're also looking for a very light and thin tablet, this is a great choice and hard to beat.

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, May 2, 2014
J. Blum (San Mateo, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (7-Inch, White) (Personal Computers)
I'm coming off of an iPad 2 (march, 2011) and bought the Tab 4 7" because my 2-year-old basically confiscated the iPad to play toddler games. I wanted something smaller that I could hold in one hand for reading, browsing, and a few games here and there.

The first impression of the design was that it was quite good for the price. It's light, it's slim and it's utilitarian. There's no aluminum uni-body construction here, just plastic and more plastic, but it certainty looks acceptable and I don't need to worry about scratching all that pretty brushed aluminum. What's the point if you're just going to slap a protective cover on it anyway?.

Other impressions are that I like Android for it's openness compared to iOS. It may not look (by any means) as pretty, and it's certainly not consistently designed, but it works for what it was intended and I don't need Apple's "approval" to download an app that does something they don't agree with.

I also like the ability to use cheap SD cards for storage (BIG plus here), whereas Apple locks up memory into a completely proprietary $100/GB scam. The stuff is on the market for $1/GB, and that's for the performance RAM. 'Nuf said about the fleecing Apple has been committing for YEARS when it comes to RAM prices.

I'm not even going to complain about the paltry (these days) 1280x800 display. I don't need the extra resolution because my eye's aren't exactly what they used to be, nor do I want to pay for it. 1280x800 is acceptable, especially on a 7" tablet, which makes for halfway decent density. I can't see the pixels even with glasses, so it's good enough. However If I were reviewing the 10.1, I'd be hammering it for pixel density.

All that being said, what I really do NOT like about the Tab 4 is that it's FREAKING SLOW. My (almost 4) year old iPad 2 blew this thing out of the water. I can only imagine that the 1.2Ghz processor Samsung is using is 3 years behind the times and/or there's not enough internal RAM (1.5GB). Somewhere along the way they decided to save $10 and gimp what would otherwise be a no-brainier choice. You can't even browse a simple page without lagging and shuddering. If I had to do anything quickly on this thing, I'd send it back immediately and get a Tab "Pro", which looks to be twice as fast at 2 times the cost.

In the end, and as long as you don't care/need anything even remotely resembling speed, this is a reasonable choice. To the reviewer that said "Samsung has done it again!", all I can say is, done what? Barely updated the under-powered Tab 3 with another under-powered Tab 4? Seriously how much does it cost a manufacturer to use a faster processor of their own design and production? $5, $10? Some performance would have made this a 5-star tablet at this price point. As it stands, It's a ho-hum tablet at a ho-hum price.

5.0 out of 5 stars loves it, June 18, 2014
My grandson loves it and i also enjoy it i am thinking of getting one myself and yes i would reccomend it my grandson is 7 and works it like a little expert

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Tab 4 - 7 inch vs Kindle HDX 7 inch, August 16, 2014
I started by buying a Kindle Fire HDX and although there is much to recommend it, I ended up returning it and purchased this tablet which for me works out better. In comparing the two of them, I cannot tell any difference in processor speed. I preferred the sound -much better on the Kindle and the video screen, better on the Kindle. The Kindle is heavier and has an Amazon modified android system which you can work around - frankly I prefer straight android- the Samsung uses KitKat which is enough different from Jelly Bean to require getting use to it. The Samsung can take a 32 gb micro sd card which gives it much more memory than the Kindle and for me the breaker regarding the Kindle is battery life. Leaving it off with WiFi connected drains battery life. I am not a heavy user and mostly read and check emails. With the Kindle, I was charging every two days and with the Samsung , much less frequently

5.0 out of 5 stars It's grrreat!, June 22, 2014
I love it. It works great. Watch many movies with it. Love the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi features. The seven inch tab is not too big and not too small so I can enjoy my movies and it's portability.

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung redefines quality; marred slightly by yesteryear specs, August 6, 2014
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (7-Inch, White) (Personal Computers)
I've been browsing around for a smaller tablet since owning (and eventually giving away) the coveted (or cursed) Asus Transformer Prime. I wanted something smaller, but good enough for movies, books, and overall media consumption. I also wanted something that complemented by Galaxy S3 phone. The Tab 4 7 inch hits on all those points very well.

For starters, the build quality of the device is superb. The silver lining to the plastic casing adds enough class for any American (because we love our chrome) and acts as a metaphor to Samsung's pledge to near Apple-like quality. I chose the candy white model and it looks great. The plastic doesn't feel cheap and it has a nice weight to it. It seems it's internals are tightly packed resulting in a very thin profile. The thin bezel on the sides really help carry its slim style forward as well. I noticed other tablets like the MeMo 7 inch and LG G Pad 7 inch, which have thicker bezels, and it detracted from the overall experience of the tablet.

The 7 inch screen is glorious. The colors are washed (grayed) very slightly, but I didn't notice until I read an Engadget review about it. The brightness of the tablet exceeded many of the others in its class. Its really bright and it helps when viewing in direct sunlight.

The downside to the tablet is the performance, but I never felt like it left me hanging for too long. Applications might take a bit-longer to open and the Touchwiz UI may not be as smooth as it's higher-end pro series kin. None the less, again, I never felt impatient. A better way to put it is that the performance was very consistent -- slower than other higher-spec tablets but consistent, and I find that meeting expectations with regards to performance is better than having a high-spec tablet that has unexpected slowdowns (in the case for the Asus Tegra tablets). The Tab 4 7 inch is not using the Snapdragon S400 chipset as originally suggested by several review sites. It's using something else. Also, don't expect to play games very well; even Angry birds (when zoomed out) had some noticeable lag when panning across the map. That said, Minecraft played very well with some of the graphics settings turned down.

The tablet also has 1.5GB of memory, which is 500MB more than most in its class. But Samsung is going to need that extra 500MB for its hefty Touchwiz UI and bloat-apps. However, samsung allows you to "turn off" apps, many of which come preinstalled.

All-in-all this is a fantastic tablet. I've went back and forth between several other 7 inch tablets (Asus MeMo, LG G Pad, Nexus 7), and its performance and specs are very yesteryear. However, regardless of those downsides, there's some about it that I just love that goes beyond it's performance. When taken as a whole, I love the tablet and I can't put my finger on it as to why. I don't know if its the way that Samsung designed it with its sleek design or it's TouchWiz UI, but the entire package is fantastic. I've went back to the store maybe 2-3 times to try the other tablets. Yeah, they performed a little better, but that Samsung tablet caught my eye and I never regretted buying it.

It's on the shelf for $170 when I bought it, and it's worth every penny of it, I just wish they put a better chip on the inside.