5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing quality and performance at a very good price point!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 9:48 Mins
Update September 8, 2014:

Published 9 months ago by JJCEO

1.0 out of 5 stars Warranty Issues
After four months of use the charging cable no longer stays in the table port unless held - Samsung said this type of issue is not covered under the warranty and I would have to pay for repair. I checked with a local phone repair shop and they said it is a common repair issue.

Published 2 months ago by Paula Carrino

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing quality and performance at a very good price point!, May 1, 2014
Length:: 9:48 Mins

Update September 8, 2014:

About 6 weeks ago I started having issues charging the Samsung tablet. A red x appeared over the battery symbol and the tablet appeared to be charging but very slowly. This red x means that the tablet is plugged into a computer and exchanging data but in reality it was plugged into the Samsung AC wall charger using their cable.

I tried another Micro USB charging cable and it worked fine but not every time. I was worried that the charging port on the tablet was going bad. I take excellent care of my smart devices and I wanted to find out what the issue was. I contacted Samsung support using the on line message support system. It took about an hour to convince Samsung that the cable was bad and perhaps the AC wall charger.

They shipped me a new AC wall charger and the cable. I tried only the cable by itself first and it has worked perfectly every time I haved plugged it in for three weeks. I wanted to post this update in case any other user of this tablet is having a similar problem. Good luck with Samsung support as the person I dealt with was stubborn about recognizing that one of their products was defective.

---------------------

I own a lot of different tablets but this is my first Samsung and let me say that I am impressed. I went to the store to buy a 7 inch unit but quickly decided to upgrade to the 8 inch version. There were several features that I was concerned about and the 8 inch unit just fit my needs better.

* Larger screen size for reading
* More basic internal memory at 16 GIG versus 8 GIG for the 7 inch unit
* The ability to upgrade to a 64 GIG SD card instead of just 32 GIG

Just remember that in my experience your need for more memory grows as you use your tablet more and if you buy a smaller memory upgrade capability you may regret it. The price difference on launch day was only $40 more. I already own 8 tablets in my family so my experience has proven this need for more memory. As you add more books and more apps the memory slowly gets eaten up. I went ahead and also purchased a Samsung 64 GIG Micro SD memory card and I got a Class 10 Pro series at a cost of $55. It reads at 70 MB/s and a write speed of 20 MB/s. For under $300 you will have a powerful tablet that has more memory (80 GIG) than a 64 GIG iPad Mini for a much lower price.

Here is the link to the Samsung Memory that I purchased:

Samsung 64GB MicroSD XC Pro Class 10 UHS-1 Read Speed 70mb/s Write Speed 20mb/s MB-MGCGB Ultra Fast Speed Memory Card with SoCal Trade, Inc. Memory Card Reader

Some other key features are:

* A powerful Qualcomm quad core CPU operating at 1.2 GHZ ( You can see the speed in using the tablet)
* 1280 by 800 pixel display
* A 3 MP rear facing camera
* A 1.3 MP front facing camera
* It weighs in at 11 Ľ ounces per my scales
* Bluetooth 4.0
* Internal 16 GIG of flash memory and it goes to 80 GIG using a 64 GIG Micro SD card (Use a high quality Class 10 Micro SD card)
* 1.5 GIG of internal RAM
* A 4450 mAh internal battery pack
* Android 4.4 operating system Kit Kat
* 1080P playback and recording
* A built in IR blaster to control your TV and other infra-red devices and an App called WatchON the help you control your TV and see what is playing on your cable service.
* The tablet comes with a 31 inch charging and data cable that is a Micro USB on one end and a USB on the other.
* It comes with an AC wall charger that outputs 5 VDC at 1 Amp and it will operate on 100 to 240 VAC and 50/60 HZ.
* It features a power multitasking function that lets you see and use two apps simultaneously which is something that an Apple iPad cannot do. Very nice feature!
* You can set up multiple users and limit the apps that they can see and use.
* You can set up a child friendly and protected user interface.
* You get $300 worth of free content

I found this tablet to be extremely versatile and very fast. The quad core processor is very impressive and browsing the internet was fast and easy. Adding my Gmail account to the tablet literally took a minute. I put together a video to show you the locations for the controls and what the tablet looks like. It is a bit long and I couldn't even talk about all of the items that I wanted to include. I apologize for the length of the video but I get excited over good technology. Overall the tablet is impressive and it is well worth the money based on the quality and performance that I have seen. I rate it as a 5 star item.

You can register your device with Samsung Galaxy Perks and get more free items:

* 3 free audible books for new members
* 3 digital magazines free on Zinio for 2 months
* A free Polaris Office

Update May 2, 2014:

Last night I installed the Amazon AppStore and the Amazon Kindle reading app. I down loaded over 950 books and I was blown away by the speed of the downloads. The CPU and strong WIFI connection really shines with its speed. I was using a strong 2.4 GHz WIFI and I downloaded the speedtest app from Google Play and I could download data at 13.36 Mbps and upload data at 2.09 Mbps. Since I am on ATT Uverse that is a reasonable result. The tablet can use either a 2.4 GHz or a 5 GHz WIFI channel. On the 5GHz frequency I got 17.71 Mbps download and 2.24 Mbps upload.

I used the Amazon AppStore as I own over 1000 apps and it was fast and easy to download many of them. I could transfer them to the SD card to conserve my internal memory. I had to do this manually on some of the apps and others went to the SD card automatically.

The sound of the speaker is pretty loud for its size. I paired the tablet with a Bluetooth speaker and the process is fast and easy. I use Bluetooth a lot and I was glad to see it work so well and Bluetooth 4.0 is the low power version to help reduce battery consumption.

Over three hours of continuous work the battery dropped from 98% to 62% which is pretty good considering I downloaded over 950 books and 35 apps. I love the fact that I can use my Amazon books and apps so easily and still have access to the Google Play Store to download utilities and apps that are not available on Amazon. It is like having the best of both worlds.

Photographs are easy to take and edit. I even shot some videos. I wanted to include some in my online video but there was not enough space and time remaining to do so.

Using an app called Hangouts I was able to do face to face video calls and text messaging with my wife using our gmail account emails. The quality was as good as Facetime and the connection worked very well. I had to install the app Hangouts on my wife's iPhone 5S and the app is free on iTunes. The app was already installed on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4.

I continue to be impressed with the performance and capability of this tablet.

I did want to add that the case is slippery and a little wide to hold so I suggest that you get a case to improve your ability to grip the tablet and hold it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Faster processor than Galaxy Tab 3 8.0, speakers and cameras downgraded no more HDMI output, has exceptional battery life., May 8, 2014
Amazon Customer (Kent, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (8-Inch, White) (Personal Computers)
I already have a Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 but curiosity was killing me; I had to see what the differences were between the two model years. I think the Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 is a great tablet! I am a Galaxy Tab fan from the beginning. I still have and use a Sprint Galaxy Tab sph-p100 which is now several years old, but has been tweaked in nearly every way. I have watched the Galaxy Tab line evolve from the beginning. The GT4 8.0 is an evolutionary change from the 3.

The introductory price was lowered by $30 on the first day of its release and it is currently $60 less than the introductory price of the GT 3 8.0. To keep the price down other than the processor and the newer operating system there are no other notable improvements and some compromises were made. The speakers and cameras were downgraded and the data/power cable was shortened. The cable that was used to output an HDMI signal from the GT 3 8.0 no longer works with the 4. I find this very disturbing. Even my original Galaxy Tab has HDMI output through an adapter. In most ways this was less of a performance upgrade than a response to current market conditions. Because of the competition in 8" tablets... at the current price point consumers expect a more modern quad-core processor. That is what we got.

My first impressions...

To me the GT4 8.0 seemed slightly zippier than the GT3 8.0. However when I ran the applications that I actually use on a tablet most of the time (web browsers, book readers, video and music players) with the two tablets side by side there were no appreciable differences. So I have to admit that my first impression may have been psychological... knowing that the newer unit has a quad core processor vs a dual core in the GT3 8.0 gives the expectation that the GT4 8.0 would be faster. I ran approximately 20 benchmark programs on the two tablets side by side. The GT 4 8.0 was faster by most but not all measures.

The Gtab4 8.0 has the same processor as the Motorola Moto G. In nearly every benchmark I ran the scores were almost the same as the Moto G. Since the Moto G has been out longer... if you want to know how the GT4 8.0 is going to perform using a certain benchmark just look at how the Moto G performed; you will most likely be within a very few percentage points.

Most notably on the initial runs using the Antutu Benchmark program... the GT4 8.0 earned a score of 17281 and the GT3 8.0 received a score of 15263. On the Antutu 3DRating Benchmark the 4 got a score of 2765 and the 3 just 1870. Neither is a speed demon compared to many other Android Devices. Neither tablet is meant to be a maximum performance gaming device. Overall however both tablets have a lot of features for entry level tablets as noted in other reviews and both are very good, well rounded devices.

Compared to the GT3 8.0, the GT4 8.0 shines running applications which take full advantage of its 4 processors and on chip Graphics Processor Unit. There are benchmarks where the GT3 8.0 outperforms the 4 due to its faster clock speed and the design of its processors and gpu. Overall, however one must reasonably conclude that the new processor in the 4... future proofs it more as compared to the GT3 8.0. It will be interesting to find out what type of overclocking potential the processors and GPU have. Whether either unit has any practical real world advantages for the a particular user depends entirely on the applications being used. A budding tablet gamer would be better off with the 4.

My guess is that most users who do not run 3D games, photo or video editing apps would not be able to tell much if any difference using typical applications. Unless there are applications that you want to use that you know are CPU intensive and are going to run better on the quad core tablet it would not be a worthwhile upgrade for most. If however you are making a decision about which tablet to purchase... I would be willing to spend a little more on the GT4 8.0 than the GT3 8.0.

Some advantages of the 3 are:
1. It has been out for a while and has a lot of community support. It is easy to root; there are many custom ROMS and setups that one can take advantage of without having to reinvent the wheel.
2 .The 3 has loads of cheap accessories available through eBay, Amazon and numerous retailers.
3. The 3 has better speakers and cameras.

Some advantages of the 4 are:
1. It has a newer quad-core processor that out performs the 3 in many benchmarks.
2. The Kitkat Operating System... as annoying as it is to have to learn new features... it is an upgrade. There probably already are custom ROMs to upgrade the GT3 8.0, but there are advantages to having a factory supported OEM version with the latest OS.
3. The back of the 4's case has a faux leather finish that is not a fingerprint magnet like the shiny 3's is. Personally I never take the 3 out of its gel case because you can't pick it up without getting nasty looking fingerprints all over it's beautiful shiny white exterior.
4. {{{edit 5-18-14}}} After using the 4 for over two weeks I can report that in its stock configuration plus a couple dozen of my favorite apps, that it seems to have exceptional battery life. I normally charge most devices that I depend on such as my phone every night. I haven't charged the Galaxy Tab 4 for several days and have used it regularly, often with the screen at full brightness and the battery is still indicator still shows that it has 64% left. If you leave it in standby mode and don't use it... I can now report that it doesn't seem to lose more than a couple of percentage points of battery life in a day. I am pleased enough that I raised my rating from 4 to 5 stars. Kudos to Samsung for not putting a bunch of battery eating fluff in the stock configuration!

Some disadvantages of the 3 are:
1. Older Operating System.
2. Dual Core vs Quad Core processor... albeit running at 1.5ghz as opposed to 1.2ghz
3. The shiny case attracts fingerprints.

Some disadvantages of the 4 are:
1. Lower quality speaker and cameras. The speaker is in the back so if you cover it or lay it down flat it will be muffled. The 3 has great speakers and goes louder to begin with. The 4 doesn't sound bad but it is not as good as the GT3 8.0.
2. The case has different dimensions than 3 so there are very few custom molded gel cases currently available. This of course should improve within a month or two.
3. It is so new that currently there is very little support in the tablet community... you will probably have to wait a while to run your favorite applications that require rooting.

I took many pictures and videos of the two units running side by side. When I get the chance I will try to post those in updates to this review.

{{{Update 10-11-14}}} We have had the Tab 4 since May and it has served us well. I am disappointed that Samsung still hasn't released a firmware update that would allow one to attach an HDMI adapter to this device and display content on a High Definition Television. It seems ridiculous considering that all of our Android phones, a $75 Chinese tablet, and our 4 year old sph-p100 Sprint Galaxy Tab 7 all have working HDMI adapters. As far as I am concerned Samsung has really dropped the ball on this. Samsung, why has this still not been corrected after nearly 6 months?

{{{Update 12-02-14}}} One thing that I forgot to mention in my review that has been used a lot by my family is the IR Blaster. This is a feature on both the Tab 3 and the Tab 4 that allows you to use them as a universal remote control. I have found that with a $6 App from the Play Store that this is an incredibly useful feature and there is no limit to the number of remotes that you can emulate. The App that I am using has half a million remotes already in its database. These can all be customized easily. It can also learn commands from the IR signal if you have a remote not in the database. I have got a whole lot of supposedly universal remotes but none seem to work as well or as easily as this feature on the Galaxy Tab.

So, in conclusion... if you already have a Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 the GT 4 8.0 is most likely not enough of an upgrade to justify purchasing the 4 unless you have a family member who could use a hand me down or any other excuse that you can make up. If you are looking for a new tablet I would recommend either the 3 or the 4 because of the features they both provide features that have been well covered in other reviews. I would be willing to pay a little more for the 3 than the 4 but not more than around $30 at this time. Basically, if you plan to use the tablet for processor intensive applications such as editing photos or playing the latest 3D games you would probably be better off with the 4. If you want to take pictures with your tablet and like to listen to the built in speakers I would lean towards the 3. As far as browsing the internet, staying connected, watching videos or looking at pictures I doubt whether you will be able to tell the difference. Both are good values as far as I am concerned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome form factor!, May 1, 2014
Samsung has done it again. They are releasing tablets at very periodic intervals. Samsung's fourth generation of Galaxy Tab series is as expected and for this price point phenomenal. I have been using Galaxy Tab 2 and 3 and I am very much impressed with Galaxy line of devices. First, if you have not had any tablets before and can afford over 7”, Get THIS! Yes, Get this 8". It is ideal for reading books and emails. I had used a 8" Tablet to read epub books (Aldiko) and it was a very pleasant experience. If you are a bit experienced and can afford it, I highly recommend the 8". In my opinion 8" is the maximum value for the money and features and hence I gave 8" a 5 star. I also gave 7" a 5 star due to best pixel density among all of Galaxy 4 series.

Samsung has introduced 7", 8" and 10.1" of the Tab 4 series. This year the space has become crowded as Samsung also has 8.4”, 10.1” and 12.2” Tab Pro Series. They are pricier, but if you can afford I very STRONGLY suggest you get the PRO series just for one thing - RESOLUTION. I was really hoping the Tab series will go to a larger resolution. But again price/performance is a factor that drives Samsung to make devices at all ranges.

Let's start off with salient points of all of the Galaxy Tab 4 series. I will later compare with the previous Tab 3 models. I have also listed brief specs of current leading tablets at the very end if you would like to really compare and shop. If you have Tab 3, don’t upgrade. No need to. Those devices worked well a year back and still are. The photos look just as beautiful on them as they did a year ago!

Some of Tab 4 specs have certainly become better, but not in a revolutionary sense. The pixels per inch ppi is the best in 7” among all of Galaxy Tab 4 series. That is because all have same resolution and size is the variable.

Look at three specs that really interest you and nail down the tablet you need. Look at the big picture, what you want from a tablet now, a year from now, what your family needs out of this and make a decision.

7-inch Galaxy Tab 4 tablet: 1280x800, 216 ppi, 1.2 GHz Quad-Core, 1.5GB RAM, 8GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD card slot (up to 32 GB), Camera: 3MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 9.74 oz. (276 grams). Android 4.4.2

8-inch Galaxy Tab 4 tablet: 1280x800, 189 ppi, Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 1.2 GHz Quad-Core, 1.5GB RAM, 16GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD card slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 3MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 11.1 oz. (315 grams). Android 4.4.2

10.1-inch Galaxy Tab 4 model: 1280x800, Qualcomm Snapdragon, 149 ppi, 1.2 GHz Quad-Core, 1.5GB RAM, 16GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD card slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 3MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 17.3 oz. (490 grams). Android 4.4.2

Look at the salient points of all of the Galaxy Tab 3 series.

7-inch Galaxy Tab 3 tablet: 1024 x 600, Marvell dual-core 1.2GHz processor, 1GB RAM, 8GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD card slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 3MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 10.58 oz. (300 grams). Android 4.1.2

8-inch Galaxy Tab 3 model: 1280 x 800, Exynos 1.5GHz dual-core processor, 1.5GB ram, 16GB of built-in storage (ROM), a microSD slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 5MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 10.9 oz. (309 grams) Android 4.2

10.1-inch Galaxy Tab 3 model: 1280 x 800, Intel Atom 1.6GHz Z2560 dual-core processor, 1GB RAM, a 16GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 3.2MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 17.99 oz. (510 grams). Android 4.2

I am not going into other details like accelerometer etc. as they are all standard these days, Audio support - AAC, AMR, MP3, OGG, WMA/ASF, 3GA/M4A, FLAC, WAV; MP3/MP4/Music Tones; Music Player; Ringtones, Polyphonic. Video support: AVI/DIVX, WMV/ASF, FLV, MKV, MP4/3GP, WEBM; Video Player; Video Streaming.

The 8" has a physical home button so are others in the series. Also has capacitive Back and Menu buttons. Camera is a 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for skype, and a 3-megapixel rear-facing camera. It is also equipped with an IR blaster so it will work as a universal remote on both your TV and cable box. Camera is only so and so, and I will not rely on it to produce outstanding photos. Weighs very lightweight. SD card capability is awesome! With prices plummeting for microSD GB cards, it is a great boon. Put all your music, books, photos on the SD card and you have a powerful computer in hand always! I personally use the 64 GB microSD card on my mobile devices. Get this mobileUltra (SanDisk 64GB Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC Class 6 Memory Card with SD Adapter - Retail Packaging.

This tablet has both bluetooth 4.0" and have USB Host capability. USB Host is one of the most under noticed features of Androids and is in my opinion one of the best features compared to iPad lines. What this means you get a USB Host cable also otherwise called OTG (On the Go) cables and plug in your USB thumb drive or other USB devices and the device recognizes it. I have used it with Alfa AWUS036H for a wireless project with Android PCAP Capture from reputable Kismet wireless. GPS was spot on and I tried multiple GPS apps. It was bright outdoors (had to crank the brightness all the way up). I personally use Navigon from Garmin and have downloaded several apps.

Finally, believe me, don't get mired in the spec game. I will say it all starts with what you can afford. If you really want a fabulous tablet experience, get the 12.2” Tab Pro. Otherwise start with 7” and move forward. 8” is thin, lightweight and is awesome. Samsung is creating markets for all form factors and I would consider this as an exploratory stage. Just like Ford or Toyota has cars in different shapes, sizes and price range, so are the tablet vendors now. Remember the laptop wars, 10", 12" 13", 15, 17 and even some 19" if I remember right few years ago. We used to debate endlessly which laptop sizes are better, which has better speakers and so on. The time has come to fight it out for tablets!

I tried following apps and they just worked awesome. A tablet is only as good as the apps you have and how productive it makes you. It's almost like the camera/lens analogy in the DSLR space. What good it is to have a great DSLR body if you have no good lens? Same with Tablet body and apps you have.

WolframAlpha (I can go on for hours praising this. This is a truly genius app powered by hundreds of supercomputers in the background. Wolfram is a computational genius).
Withings HealthMate. (another remarkable app great UI/UX). I am getting the Pulse device as soon as it hit stores.)
Aldiko Book Reader Premium (absolutely love it)
Amazon Mobile
Android Central app (great and must have for Android users)
Amazon App Store
Battery Monitor Widget Pro (a great app)
BeyondPod (excellent for podcasts, I haven't used Pocketcast, some friends say it is very good too)
Box
Chrome
Dictionary M-W Premium
NAVIGON (from Garmin - offline maps)
Google Navigation/Earth/Maps using a portable MiFi box
Google Currents (nice way to read News)
Google Keep/Keyboard/Drive/Search/Books/Voice/Hangouts
Ebay
Linkedin
Google Music (Awesome, I have now upto 10,000 songs halfway through Google's 20K Limit)
Tapatalk HD (awesome forum browsing app)
Microsoft One Note (legacy docs, skydrive of 25 GB is good)
Subsonic Music Streamer
TweetCaster Pro for Android
Skype
RealCalc Plus (Awesome calculator app)
Tweetcaster Pro (again awesomeness)
Plenty of Widgets

Ask questions, the reviews cannot do full justice. I will be glad to answer any questions and usually answer within 24 hours to any query.

APPENDIX: Overview of other tablets in the market.

Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 8.4-Inch {B,W}, WQXGA 2560 x 1600, 359 ppi, 2.3 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad-core processor, 2 GB RAM, 16/[32] GB Flash, microSD upto 64 GB, 8MP Rear + 2MP Front, 331 gm, Android 4.4 Kit Kat OS, 8.62 x 5.06 x 0.28 in, microUSB, GPS yes. 4800 mAh battery (best resolution on a tablet!)

Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 10.1 {B, W}, WQXGA 2560x1600, 298 ppi, Exynos® 5 Octa (1.9GHz Quadcore + 1.3 GHz Quadcore), 2 GB RAM, 16/[32] GB Flash, microSD upto 64 GB, 8MP Rear + 2MP Front, 469 gm, Android 4.4 KitKat, 9.57 x 6.75 x 0.29 in, microUSB, GPS: y, 8,200mAh battery

Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 12.2 {B, W}, WQXGA 2560x1600, 247 ppi, Exynos® 5 Octa (1.9GHz Quadcore + 1.3 GHz Quadcore), 3 GB RAM, 32GB/64GB Flash, microSD upto 64 GB, 8MP Rear + 2MP Front, 732 gm, Android 4.4 KitKat, 11.64 x 8.03 x 0.31 in, microUSB, GPS: y, 9500mAh battery

Samsung Galaxy NotePRO 12.2 {B, W}, WQXGA 2560x1600, 247 ppi, Exynos® 5 Octa (1.9GHz Quadcore + 1.3 GHz Quadcore), 3 GB RAM, 32/64 GB Flash, microSD card slot up to 64GB, 8MP Rear + 2MP Front, 748 gm, Android 4.4 KitKat, 11.64 x 8.03 x 0.33 in, microUSB 3.0 port with backwards compatibility with microUSB 2.0, GPS - y, 9500mAh battery, S-Pen, NFC, Ethernet connectivity via adapter.

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" model: 2560 x 1600, 339 ppi, Snapdragon 800 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2 GB RAM, 16/32/64 Flash Memory, No microSD card, 8MP rear-facing camera, front-facing 720p HD camera, 374 grams, FireOS 3.0, 9.1 x 6.2 x 0.31 inches, microUSB, GPS:no [cellular versions have GPS]

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1" 2014 Edition: 2560x1600, 299 ppi, 1.9GHz Samsung Exynos 5420 Quad-Core Processor, 3GB RAM, 16/32 GB Flash Memory, microSD slot:yes(upto 64 GB), 8MP rear camera and 2 MP front-facing camera, 560 grams, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS, 9.57 x 6.75 x 0.31 inches, microUSB, GPS:yes. S-Pen (flagship),

iPAD Air 9.7" (2013): 2048 x 1536 resolution, 264 ppi, A7/M7/64 bit processor, Flash Memory: 16/32/64/128 GB, SD Card:no, 5 MP back, 1.2 MP front, 469 grams, iOS 7, 9.4 x 6.6 x 0.29 in, lightning port, GPS:no [cellular versions have GPS]

Google Nexus 10" model: 2560 x 1600, 300 ppi, CPU: Dual-core A15, 2GB RAM, 16/32 GB, SD:no, rear:5 MP, front:1.9 MP, 603g, 10.4" x 7" x 0.35", mcroUSB, GPS:yes

You should come up with three top three specs you want and should be able to nail it down with the above spec. If you have doubts shoot me a comment, I can help! I hope the key specs I have consolidated here of all the tablets will help you narrow down and help in buying the right tablet for your needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tablet!, May 10, 2014
I bought this Galaxy Tab 4 after owning iPads, iPod Touch and iPhones over the last 4 years. I wanted something that was less Appleish and more functional. The Galaxy Tab 3 that I played with at the local stores had the multiple windows, plenty of apps and functioned well. The Tab 4 is faster, a little more sleek and a few tweaks to the processor speed. I pre-ordered and had it at my door May 1.

The things I really like:
* The 8 inch screen is perfect for reading, yet compact enough to make it convenient to carry. If you have smaller hands, you may want to consider the 7 inch screen.
* The quality is excellent with fit and finish to rival any tablet in its class.
* The Android platform works smoothly and doesn't hang up as often as either the Apple iOS 6 or iOS 7 operating systems. No clunky screens, delays responding or freezes that I found common on the iPad Retina.
* Plenty of Apps. I'm sure you could find more for Apple, but I doubt you will miss them. Every App I had loaded on my iPad was available in the Play Store.
* Multi-window is great. Drag and drop from one to another is a useful tool.
* Smart Stay works well. It monitors your eyes and won't go into sleep mode if you are watching. Look away, and it goes to sleep. Cool trick. And you can turn it off.
* Easy setup: It only took a few minutes after the initial charge to go completely through the setup.
* Easy navigation: Once you play around with the screens and buttons, it is very intuitive.
* Great battery life. I am probably on it 4 hours a day. I charge it after about 8 hours.
* Expandable memory. All my music is going on an SD card. No running out of memory like on the iPad, iPod or iPhone.
* Screen is crystal clear. There are better ones out there, but you won't miss them.

Almost forgot. The built in IR is great, especially if you have Samsung TV, Blue ray, Sound, like I do. Very easy to control everything in my living room from my Tab.

Things I didn't like - (very minor):
* Cameras could be better. Quality is limited to 3 mp.
* I can't find a detailed user's manual. Not a big issue.
* No cases available as of today. I'm sure this will change soon.
TIP: If you like taking screenshots, instead of pushing buttons, you just swipe across the screen with the side of your hand. It will store the pic in your My Files folder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tab 4 8.0 - Excellent Tablet and Just the Right Size - A Detailed Review, July 4, 2014
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (8-Inch, White) (Personal Computers)
Since I have owned tablets from the Samsung Tab line since the Tab 2, I can still say that in my opinion that Samsung makes a excellent and wonderful tablet with this Tab 4 Eight! It arrived with Kit Kat onboard so I am delighted! If you are looking a high quality eight inch tablet, this may very well be the one for you! For me I found that this tablet has that WOW, WOW, WOW Factor. So below, I am listing the many Pros I personally have found while using this tablet:

PROS:

+ Overall Speed And Performance and Android Kit Kat OS:
With the fast 1.2 GHz Quad processor, Since I owned the Samsung Tab 3 8.0 before, I have noticed faster loading, this tablet runs ultra smooth and very, very responsive! Love that this tablet has 16GB Internal memory.
If you have used a Samsung Galaxy device as S3, S4, S5, Note 3, or other Galaxy type, you will love the OS and the familiar Samsung Touch Wiz interface on this tablet. However, what if you have never used Android OS or even a Samsung device? No worries, as this tablet is easy to learn in my opinion.

+ SCREEN SIZE IS JUST RIGHT SIZE - VERY CLEAR/SHARP SCREEN FOR READING eBooks or VIEWING WEBPAGES. (Screen in my opinion is large and has superb clarity/clearness for reading eBooks and webpages as the print is so readable as I find it VERY CLEAR/VIVID. This is a great in-between size tablet to use. And I found that the screen was large enough to read webpages easily or watch videos. The screen has a PPI (pixels per inch) of 189, which renders a crisp and clear screen and I found that the colors are super vivid and very colorful.
Portability - Excellent as I use a combo MoKo stand-cover-case on it and it is easy to place into my purse or any bag as it is so easy to carry anywhere!

+ EXTERNAL SLOT FOR MICRO SD CARD - It is said that you can add a 64gb SD card for personal files. In my case, I have a 32GB SD card and still have plenty of room after my songs, files and photos are added. (A 64 GB card has different formatting and I have not used this size, just the 32GB) About SD Cards: Keep in mind where External SD cards are concerned: They are JUST for your personal files: music, videos, photos, and other files. When you install apps from the Playstore or other sources, they store either in INTERNAL SD Card area or the main internal area. This is the law of the land where Android is concerned and ALL newer Android devices (including Samsung) work this way where storing your downloaded apps are concerned.

+ WiFi Connecting/Speed of WiFi - Setting up WiFi and keeping a great signal and long distance WiFi strong signal is one superb feature on this tablet. So I compared the signal strength with the Tab 4 vs my regular Android phone. The Tab 4 had about 35% stronger signal then the phone. I believe it is because there is a very strong WiFi receiver in this tablet. At home or on the road, I am able to connect to many free WiFi hotspots very easily with great signal strength.
****Do you need to know how to get on the internet when you are out of a WiFi range? Ask me about this as I have written an article on how to do this using a MiFi type of service from different service providers (please ask in the comment section for more info).

+ Reading/Creating/Editing Word, Excel, Text Files and much more on this tablet: This comes with a OK app for reading Office documents, however, I prefer Kingsoft Office which is a free app from Playstore. It is the best I have ever tried and I am very picky about so called Office programs. It is very compatible with MS Office as it reads, edits and creates Office files and reads PDF files, and it has more features of any other Android Office program that I tried. This app is a MUST have for tablet owners in my opinion.

+ Home Videos - The stock video player is OK and plays MOST home videos, however, may I suggest QQ Player, this is a free App from Playstore and it plays every home video I tried). Also MX Video Player is very good, however, I prefer QQ Player.

+ Music Player/Sound Quality - Stock player has clear sound through the outside "speakers" are really OK. Better with good quality headphones or a BlueTooth Speaker. To sync easily with Windows Media Player may I suggest the Playstore app free called WinAmp for the tablet as it is very highly rated and the sound is SUPERB!

+ Battery Life- For me, I noticed that this model the Tab 4, has better battery life than my older Tab 3 eight! Excellent, so far, however, this is what I have found: When I am on WiFi, I go to the websites I need and then as soon as I am done (reasonable time), I exit the browser (or YouTube, etc) and TURN OFF WiFi. However, I run my brightness at 100%. So this seems to keep the battery going longer.

+ Kindle App - I installed the Kindle App and synced my Kindle books. Began to read a new book and was very impressed with how exceptional the book rendered using this Tab 4 8.0. Very impressed as the text was very crisp and clear.

+ OTG USB Compatible - You can add an optional OTG (On the Go Micro USB adapter cable to the Micro port for copying files to your flash drive and from your flash drive to the Tab 4). I already had one from my Samsung phone and it works great on the Tab. You can also plug in a mouse, I tried it and it worked. *Note that portable external hard drives and portable DVD/CD drives will not work using OTG in the Tab 4 as I discovered when I tried to read my hard disks via OTG in the Tab 4. However, it is still good to know that you can easily plug in your flash drive and copy files to the Tab 4 and from Tab 3 to PC--what a time-saver.

+ Bluetooth Speed and Performance - The Bluetooth paired quickly with several devices as well as Bluetooth keyboards, Bluetooth Stereo Headsets, Bluetooth speakers (all I tried) and copied files at a great rate of speed. SUPERB and FAST Bluetooth.

+ Screenshots: There is no ICON for screenshots, however, to take a quick screenshot, hold down home button and power button (at the same time), and then it will take a beautiful screenshot. You can find your screenshot in MyFiles, Internal Storage, Pictures, and Screenshots. I use this sometimes for a map on the internet it saves time and this way it is SAVED for later viewing when I am offline.

+ MICRO USB PORT - No more having to use the old type of (non standard) USB charger/cable that the Tab 2 line had. However, this tablet requires a 2 AMP USB Charger to charge the tablet so it will not charge on a standard 1 AMP (phone charger) as I tried and only the 2 AMP one will work. This tablet uses the same Micro 2 AMP type of chargers that the Galaxy Note 8 uses.

CONS:
- Camera - The 3MP rear camera on this Tab 4 8.0 and it not as good of a camera as the older Tab 3 line. Also, there is no flash on the camera, yet there are several helpful modes to enhance your shots. For me, I use Auto mode. And I tried the camera and video and was happily surprised in the quality (that is for outdoor shots) - it is pretty good. However, I will continue to use my regular camera for serious picture taking and videos.

- New Adobe Flash is not supported, however, I found that archived flash gets the online videos to play and they even play in the stock browser.

* Bottom line/My Suggestions to You: Would I buy this WiFi only model over again? Yes because this Tab 4 8.0 is lightweight, easy to hold in ONE HAND, and it just as easy to hold as the Tab 4 7 inch, yet has so much more screen real-estate than the Tab 4 7 inch and clarity etc, for just a few dollars more, this is a MUCH BETTER BUY! And I have found because the screen is so crisp and clear, it reads internet pages CLEARER, Home Videos are larger and much clearer to see etc. And the 8 inch is so easy to pop into a briefcase, bag or purse etc than say a large 10 inch is...if you travel and want to go light, may I suggest this Tab 4 8.0 to you!
Since I am somewhat of a techie person, I will be glad to answer any questions that you may have. Just ask in the comment section and I will answer promptly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warranty Issues, November 4, 2014

I did not abuse or over use the tablet so they have lost a customer...Samsung should have at least mentioned on the literature that came with the tablet to - "USE CAUTION WHEN CHARGING - charging port damage is not covered by the warranty"

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Budget Tablet w/Menu Button (Samsung Hid It), June 12, 2014
I originally bought a Dell Venue 8 but wasn't happy with slow 54MBps WiFi it had so I returned it and bought the Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 model. So far, this tablet has satisfied my needs.

The WiFi runs at 150MBps, which is respectable since I bought it to primarily stream videos from my computer and watch Cable TV while working out in my garage while on the treadmill.

One initial problem I had was trying to access the menu in some apps. Properly coded apps are suppose to have the menu button (three dots/lines) in the corner of the app's main screen. However, one of my messaging apps didn't have that.. and Samsung replaced the menu (navigation) key with Recent Apps. After further research I discovered that the Menu button was still there... just hidden. To access it, all you do is Long Press the Recent Apps button while inside an app and it will bring it back up. I was so relieved to find that.

The screen is very bright and the touch controls aren't too bad. The sound... well, the tiny mono speaker in the back isn't all that great. However, I have a bluetooth speaker that I use... so audio is never a problem for me.

Many people prefer stock Android over Samsung's TouchWiz interface. I actually don't really mind it at all... and find stock to be kind of boring and too plain. It does take time to learn all the menus... but that isn't too hard.. and there are a lot of features not available in standard android... like setting up part of the screen that doesn't detect touch and screen color/audio calibrations.

As far as performance goes.. it runs OK... I do get lag when playing Plants vs Zombies 2. Multiwindow is ok, but I don't use it since it doesn't work with many apps you install.... just the preinstalled stuff, primarily.

Concerning Bloatware... this tablet does come with a few apps you may never use. Some of them can be disabled from the Settings/Application menu. However, there are a few that can't.. and they will run continuously. If you are looking to root this tablet... that ability just surfaced and it is now possible to do that. If you do that, you can then install an "app manager" that will Freeze those apps you don't want running as well as prevent automatic startup of apps you don't need running all the time.

As far as MicroSD cards. There is a slot that allows them. Right before I bought this tablet, I picked up a Samsung EVO 32GB card and it worked perfectly. However, with Android 4.4, Google no longer allowed apps you installed yourself to write to SD Cards you install. Because of that change, I couldn't wireless copy over files onto the card... I had to use the internal memory to save them... or connect the tablet to a computer and copy paste onto the card directly. However, if you root the device you could install an app that allows you to write to the card again.

This device is lightweight but I highly recommend you order a case for it, as well as a Screen Protector... because the display is a huge smear magnet...

5.0 out of 5 stars Its Time to Tab...Again!!!, October 22, 2014
This is my review of the Galaxy Tab 4 8.0:

First I didnt buy this product on Amazon, I bought it on sale at Best Buy So I cant be much help with the buying experience.

Build Quality: Samsung typically has always been criticized for their design and material choices. To be honest if your one of the people that is critical of them for either, this product will most likely do little to change your opinion. However in my opinion the build quality is pretty good, it has a hard polycarbonite casing with an aluminum ring around the screen. The buttons are the same color and material as the rest of the tablet, they have a very tactile and responsive feel to them. Its a very solid but lightweight tablet.

Screen: The main essential of any tablet is the screen because this is what you most interact with. Lets be honest here no matter what your opinion is of Samsung...they are the best screen makers in the business there is reason why Apple always goes back to them for their devices. The screen on the Tab 4 continues to show why Samsung is the best screen maker, its very bright and its extremely responsive. The only real complaint that I have is that small text are extremely hard to read and you will have to zoom in to read them, so book reading can be an adventure so I would suggest using a larger font. The viewing angles are really good as well but I dont know how much the average person will really care about that.

Battery: My biggest problem with this tablet isnt the battery but how long it takes the battery to charge, my goodness I would leave home for work at 0800 and come back at lunch around 1130 and it would only be at 65% charged. But on the plus side the standby time is very good, it only lose maybe 5% over night. A fully charged battery last roughly charged battery will get you through an entire day of surfing the web, checking email and doing work.

UI/Productivity. I know another one of the biggest complaints with Samsung is the Touchwiz interface. I honestly dont have an issue with touchwiz. I have havent noticed a single incident of lag. However if you're really that turned off by touchwiz you can opt for the Google launcher (which comes with the tab out fo the box, but can also be downloaded from the play store) to give your tab the stock andriod experiece although a lot of elements of touchwiz will remain. Thankfully the annoying water drop sounds can be turned off as well. My favorite part of this tablet is the split screen function, there is nothing more handy on a tablet. Being able to write a paper while have your reference material on the same screen is awesome. If you own a galaxy S4/S5 or a Galaxy Note 3 the SideSync is a pretty handy trick as well. This allows you to see and control all elements of your phone on the screen of your tablet this includes playing games that are on your phone to replying to text messages, the only thing I couldnt get it to recieve phone calls although I could see it ringing.

O/S: KitKat 4.4 is really good. For those of you who remember the early days of Honeycomb and Jellybean will remember when there was hardly any apps or if there were, they would always be much better on the iPad but times have definitely changed there is 1000s and 1000s of tablet optimized apps for android now. There is still more on the iPad but you will find plenty on Android as well. Android still has a long way to go but they have made inprovemnts in leaps and bounds. This operating system is incredibly smooth, gone are the days of android lag. And its very attractive as well with its larger icons and cool transition affects.

Misc: Camera 3MP and pointless unless your in a real crunch, S Voice: also pointless and definitely subpar compared to Google Now, Memory 16 gig but expandable to 128 Gigs...fantastic, packaging and presentation...Meh!!!

Overall this is a fantastic tablet at a great price. If you can't afford one of the expensive tablets like the Tab S or the iPad then this a very good alternative. I currently own this tablet, a Tab S 10.1, a surface RT 2, and a iPad Air, and I use this one the most by far for everything from just laying in bed reading or finishing up or editing spread sheets on the run at work. If you are on the fence about this tablet, give it a shot, its well worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Tablet with a Few Issues, July 10, 2014
Tammy (Arnold, MD, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (8-Inch, White) (Personal Computers)
I bought this tablet to downsize from a Galaxy Note 10. I primarily use my tablet as an e-reader and a way to check email and social media and I wanted a tablet I could toss in my purse. I thought the 8 inch would be a nice compromise between the 10" and the smaller 7". It does fairly well for the purposes I bought it. I haven't had any performance issues. The screen resolution is great - pictures are clear and vivid and print is crisp. The screen is not quite big enough to view PDF's easily. If you view a lot of PDF documents I would recommend buying a 10" tablet. My biggest problem is a feature most people probably like - the extra slim bezel around the screen. It is not big enough for me to hold without touching the screen (and I have small hands). Most of the time this is not a huge issue. When using it as an e-reader it becomes a major problem. When I accidentally touch the screen pages turn. When I hold it at the bottom I hit the back button and close the book all together. I keep experimenting with ways to hold the tablet without this happening but have had little luck so far. I am sure this probably would not be as big a problem for many people. All in all it is a good 8" tablet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this tablet!, December 3, 2014
Christina (Grand Rapids, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (8-Inch, White) (Personal Computers)
This is a review coming from a 27 year old who STILL does not own a smart phone, but is very much into browsing the internet, reading blogs, and online shopping. I liked the idea of owning a tablet and then I spilled wine on my laptop sending it to the repair shop for a minimum of 4 days (in actuality I still don't have it back and it's been 12 days) which I couldn't stand the thought of (a little sad, I know) so I decided I really should own another device for situations like this and also just for fun and convenience. I spent just a couple hours shopping around reading reviews and weighing pros and cons. My considerations were:

- Android: I wanted this operating system to take advantage of the myriad Android apps. I was briefly tempted by the Kindle Fire but didn't like the idea of being limited to their proprietary browser. I need my Chrome.
- Size: While tablets in the 10 inch range look nice and I'm sure I would enjoy one, they were out of my budget. At first I considered the 7 inch for affordability but for not much more an 8 inch really gives you much more screen. I read an article that said for web browsing at least 8 inches is ideal.
- Portability: Not a priority for me initially but I have already started taking my tablet lots of places and it has not been inconvenient or felt too large. A 10.1 probably would be somewhat cumbersome in these situations.

Once I made those decisions it was pretty much a no-brainer that the highly rated Galaxy Tab 4 was a safe bet and it was also going for much lower than the list price on Amazon at the time, presumably because it was the Saturday before Black Friday and sales were already running.

Right out of the box my Tab has worked perfectly, smoothly, and quickly. I love it. It's easy to get the hang of, even if you have very little experience with Android or smart phones in general like me. A breeze to search for and download all the apps your heart desires. I've got an app for almost all the major websites I frequent: Gmail, Facebook, Feedly, Pinterest, Keep, Wordpress, Etsy, Amazon, etc etc. I've also been playing a few games which work wonderfully.

I purchased an Amazon Basics stylus and I LOVE it. Works just as it should, drastically reduces smudge marks on the screen, and makes lots of tasks easier. Get a stylus! And get this tablet!

Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (8-Inch, White)
$269.99 $239.99