5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic "tablet phone"..... Fits my needs perfectly!!!
Due to updates I have tailored my review so readers can quickly spot what info/section will be most helpfull to them:

Section I: General Information (22 Nov 2011)
Section II: Some accessories: Chargers and Cases (24 Dec 2011)
Section III: Data for T-Mobile Users (14 Jan 2012)
Section IV: Some other 5" Minitab phones (28 Feb 2012).
Section...
Published on November 22, 2011 by Lionel B.

1.0 out of 5 stars Galaxy Note - Quality Issues!
Usage Report after 1 month of purchase of Galaxy Note:

Exactly after a month of moderate usage the famous HD AMOLED Screen flickered once and now has a permanent burnt line across the whole length of the screen (bright green in color).

There was no accidental damage to the phone or even a scratch, so when Samsung refused to replace the handset and...
Published on January 27, 2012 by Ruchir

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic "tablet phone"..... Fits my needs perfectly!!!, November 22, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 16GB Unlocked Android Smartphone - Dark Blue (Electronics)

Section I: General Information (22 Nov 2011)
Section II: Some accessories: Chargers and Cases (24 Dec 2011)
Section III: Data for T-Mobile Users (14 Jan 2012)
Section IV: Some other 5" Minitab phones (28 Feb 2012).
Section V: Tidbits (07 Mar 2012)

***** Section I: General Information (22 Nov 2011) *****

I have had my Galaxy Note for over a week now and have completely deserted my Nexus S. Concerns about size or whether it will fit in my pocket are long gone. Any sense of what people may think when I hold it to my ear have completely disappeared and I hardly get any weird looks from anyone anyway except to ask to see the device and marvel over it.

Pros: (Updated 3/21/12)
- Fantastic specs.
- Beautiful to behold.
- Fast, fast, fast (1.4GHz Dual Core Processor).
- 5.3" HD Super AMOLED screen makes every thing easier to do and beautiful to look at.
- Ideal phone for those who mostly text/chat/email/web but need to have phone capabilities handy (I use the Motorola HX550 Universal Bluetooth Headset, Black which allows me to talk and still do stuff on the Note).
- Excellent Battery life of 20 to 40 hrs (I recommend you first get a baseline of the battery life before you add too many apps. Watch especially the widgets you add, I have found a couple to be battery drainers).
- Movies and pictures looks brilliant. As to be expected, movies will drain your battery faster.
- Apps are more functional and a lot of fun to use.
- A dream come true for frequent travelers as it will definitely reduce the number of devices you carry on trips. For example, I don't even travel with my kindle anymore as the kindle app is easy to read on the Note.
- S pen (S Memo): Comes in handy for jotting down quick notes and lists. You can also share these notes via your favorite messaging app. A few days ago, I lost my s-pen; cost $30 to replace :( Samsung ET-S100EBEGSTA Stylus Pen for Galaxy Note with Samsung SGH-i717 - Data Cable - Retail Packaging - Black

Cons: (Updated 12/31/11)
- May not be ideal for those that spend the majority of their time talking especially because of its size. The advantage of the device is when you interact with it.
- Only edge (2g) for T-mobile USA users. This may not be an issue if you spend the majority of your time in fast wifi environments. (See section III of the review for some information of data speeds).
- It does feel fragile and I fear dropping it.
- Web browsing hugs battery life. For example, visiting several web pages over a 10 min span reduced my battery life by 4 to 5%. My usual web use on an average day is about 30 minutes so I don't feel the drain that much (see comments for more details). Also, using the Note as a GPS with google maps is a big battery drain - be sure to use a good car charger when you do GPS over long distances.

Conclusion:
The Galaxy Note is a beautiful device in all ways and a big brother to the successful SGS2. It now tops the small class of similar devices started by the Dell Streak (See Section IV for a list of some other 5" devices). These devices in the 5 to 6 inch category are not your classic smartphones or tablets so don't try to pigeon hole them into one of these extremes. You have to view the Note as we did the SUVs when they first came out. The Note is a perfect fit for those who mostly text/chat/email/web and want phone calling capability. It is also a dream come true for travelers as it will definitely help reduce the number of devices you carry on trips. It has quickly become my #1 device.

***** Section II: Some accessories: Chargers and Cases (24 Dec 2011) *****

Accessories:

** Phone Charger **:
My phone came with a British 3-prong charger (Output 5V/1A) which I have since replaced as it is bulky and requires a US adapter. If you are looking for an American (US) style charger you can try one of these, all of which I have, and match exactly the 5V/1A output of the original charger:

* Samsung USB Travel Adapter (ETAOU80JBE): (Updated 4 May 2012)
Samsung OEM 1.0A Original Home Wall AC Travel Charger Adapter + USB 2.0 Data Sync Connect Transfer Charge Cable
Amazon now carries an original OEM adapter that works perfectly with the Note - yay!!!. It costs about $8, much cheaper than the 15 bucks I bought mine before it became listed on Amazon.
* PowerGen 1000mA Heavy Duty USB Charger & USB Cable for Apple iPhone 4 4s / iPhone 3Gs 3G:
The PowerGen cost me $6. This cube shaped charger has a similar feel and size to the Samsung charger above at less than half the price.
* Power Bug & Cable -ipod/iphone
The Power Bug charger costs about $9. It is a bit bulkier that the other two above and has a glowing blue light around the usb port that some may find annoying. Other than that it is made by Phillips (a well known brand) and the outlet prongs fold in.

I use all three chargers - one at home, one in the office, and one in my travel bag and have not had any issues with any of them.

** Inexpensive Cases ** (updated 22 May 2012)
The choices of cases to buy on Amazon are now so varied and numerous. Several nice expensive case exist for around $40, however, if you are looking for something inexpensive but decent until the prices drop or want to try a range of product types before settling on a final expensive one, here are some inexpensive alternatives to try:
* Samsung EFC-1E1COEGSTA AT&T Galaxy Note i717 Flip Cover - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Orange: I got this free with my new note (old one was stolen). The back replaces the original back so there is no added protection there. The flip cover is a nice concept and adds protection to the screen. It costs about $18. Reviews show it may not fit the ATT version.
* Black S-Line Soft TPU Gel Case Cover For Samsung Galaxy Note / i9220 GT-N7000. I used this gel case with my old Note. It is very inexpensive ($2) and adds protection to the sides and back of the phone. It does take away some of the beauty of the phone (as any gel cover will do IMO, but you get a bit more comfort that your Note is more protected from drops.
* elago G4 Slim Fit Case for at&t, International Galaxy Note - (Soft Feeling) Black - ECO PACK. This hard gel case has a nice professional feel and costs $11. However it does not cover the top and bottom of the phone like the TPU case does.

A few expensive alternatives to the above are:
* elago G4 Handmade Genuine Leather for at&t, International Galaxy Note - Folder type
* Melkco - Samsung Galaxy Note / GT-N7000 / i9220 Ultra Slim Handmade Premium Genuine Cowhide Leather Case Jacka Type Face Cover Book Type Black
* elago G4 Handmade Genuine Leather for at&t, International Galaxy Note - Bar type

***** Section III: Data for T-Mobile Users (14 Jan 2012) *****

This is some info for those that want the Note but have to stay on T-Mobile and can't switch to AT&T. I have collected some data speeds around my area (I am sure this will vary from area to area). I am fortunate that T-mobile is testing 3g/H+ on their 1900MHz band in my area (around Oxford Valley Mall, Fairless Hills PA) but not my home :(.

Here's the data I collected:

TYPE ... PLACE ..... PING ..... DOWNLOAD ...... UPLOAD
Edge ... Home ...... [385 ms] .. [199 kbps] .... [195 kbps]
3g ...... Town ...... [50 ms] ... [2,009 kbps] .. [1,108 kbps]
H+ ...... Town ...... [119 ms] .. [5,866 kbps] .. [1,240 kbps]
WiFi .... Home ...... [36 ms] ... [19,658 kbps] . [11,237 kbps]

As you can see, Edge is pretty slow. Since, I am with WiFi 95% of the time (at home and in the office) I do not feel the disadvantages of Edge that much and I do get 3g/H+ in some areas when I am in town. So IMO if you are around fast wifi the majority of the time, and have to stay on T-mobile, the Note is still a great phone to have. For those that want additional info on the areas that t-mobile is testing 3g/H+ on the 1900MHz band used by the Galaxy Note, please see Howard Forums under the T-mobile section "Post here if you have noticed 1900MHz 3G on an iPhone or other device".

***** Section IV: Some other 5" Minitab phones (28 Feb 2012) *****

Given that the Galaxy Note has now revived the 5" tablet/phone niche initially established by the Dell Streak, what are we to expect in the near future from other companies. Here is a short list of some new/soon-to-come models:

Lenovo LePad S2005
LG Optimus Vu
BLU Studio (Dual Sim)
Pantech Vega No. 5
ViewPhone 5e
Panasonic Eluga Power
Plum Mobile The Might (This one looks like the Note without a stylus. It is also dual-sim)
Thomson 5.3-inch X-view 2 (Dual-SIM)

Hopefully as the list grows we will likely see greater innovation in this niche market :)

***** Section V: Tidbits (07 Mar 2012) *****

Over the past few months I did a little experiment in respond to the famous "What is that?" question when folks first see me with the Note. The conversation generally takes one of two paths depending on my response:

Other Person: What is that?

Conversation 1:
Me: It's a mobile phone that's also great to use as a tablet.
Other Person: Wow, that's a huge phone isn't it?

Conversation 2:
Me: It's a mini-tablet that's also great to use as a mobile phone.
Other Person: Wow, that's really cool.

So based on my unscientific experiment, it looks like folks tend to accept the Samsung Note more as a minitab than as a phone. Thought it was kind of interesting. Give it a try and let me know what you find :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The complete phone-tablet device!!!, November 18, 2011
Now there is no need to carry both an iPhone/Android phone AND iPad/Android tablet! This phone-tablet device has better resolution (and pixel density of course) than the iPad, and it's a third of the size, so it's much easier to carry and walk around with. AND it's much more than just a 3G tablet, it's also a phone for those times that you wish to send SMS, and to have a 'normal' (verbal) phone conversation without voice over IP apps. I am one of those people that actually 'texts' a lot more than I speak into my phone, but the phone is a bit large, so hands-free earbuds or a bluetooth headset is recommended if you speak into your phone a lot.

Because of my impatience, I imported my Galaxy Note from a UK site before it was available on Amazon, but I would have preferred to purchase this device from Amazon instead of importing from overseas. I was so excited to receive my note, and I am simply amazed by the screen resolution and speed!! The build quality is excellent, the device is light (and thin if that's your thing), and a fully charged battery lasts from morning 'til night! I am going to sell my iPhone and Android tablet ASAP!

More on the screen resolution/camera:

Remote desktop/VNC access from the Note is amazing for those of us that sometimes work remotely, and this device currently has the best balance of usability and portability; For example, for remote desktop use, the iPhone 4/4S is limited by 960 x 480 pixels, the iPad is currently limited by 1024 x 768 pixels, and any Android tablet with 1280 x 800 resolution is nowhere as portable as the Note! Even if Apple finally releases a 9.7-inch 720p iPad in March, I will be staying devoted to my Note. (Tablet makers should be focusing on making 1080P tablets for 2012, in my opinion.) Speaking of pixels, the Note has an 8MP camera on the back and a 2MP camera on the front, so once again much better than any iPad/Android tablet camera, and on par with the cameras on any of the newer smartphones eg. iPhone 4S/Galaxy S2.

Also, if the 5.3-inch screen is too small for remote desktop or watching movies, say in a hotel room, the Note has HDMI-out via a MHL-HDMI adapter! (Samsung and other brands available on Amazon; Take a look on Youtube for NZtechfreak's excellent video reviews on HDMI-output and other amazing things you can do with the Galaxy Note!)

What would I improve about the Galaxy Note?
1. LED notifications; there are no flashing lights when a new push message is received, not cool man!
2. If it could have been just a bit smaller (around 4.9 inches), but not as small as the 4.65-inch Galaxy Nexus, which has a 1280 x 720 resolution (but only a 5MP camera by the way, and the home screen is still only 4 icons wide!).

In summary, the Samsung Galaxy Note is:

1. Better than any smartphone - matching camera/phone features but faster processor, more pixels/higher resolution = more home screen icons, and a longer battery life!

2. Better than any tablet - matching screen resolution and long battery life with any of the newer tablets, but has a better camera, and is still small enough to walk down the street with.

This is the best mobile device ever made!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Mini-Computer (phone-tablet) to Carry With You Everywhere, November 23, 2011
Like the excellent, well-written review by Juwan I. Hayward, I also ordered this from Clove Technology in the UK because I didn't want to wait for it. I had not anticipated that I would be able to get it so soon from a vendor via Amazon (with the exchange rate, it cost me a little more than $100 more than it can be purchased here). Of all of the many gadgets and phones I have owned in the past 30 years, this is by far the best and most superior gadget I have had the privilege of owning and using. It really is a perfect mini-computer. I could conceivably eliminate most of my other gadgets and just use this device. It is small enough to put in most pockets (especially jacket or pants).

I go nowhere without it. It is superfast, with a beautiful screen. I use it for playing music, playing games, reading Kindle and ePub books, reading and editing documents, taking notes, surfing the web (in addition to the excellent Android Browser, I love the Dolphin Browser and even occasionally use Firefox for Android), reading news feeds from Pulse and News360, checking Facebook and Google+, taking candid pictures (it also has a good-quality front-facing camera for video chats, which I have yet to use), and all of the many other things one does on today's smartphones and tablets. I have heavily invested in the Android ecosystem, and it really has no noticeable weaknesses compared to iOS (iPhone/iPad/iTouch). This one device combines all the best attributes of a smartphone with those of a tablet, and it is more portable that the normal tablet of today. I own a top-end tablet, and I find myself using it rarely since getting the Samsung Galaxy Note three weeks ago.

Lastly, it has a pen. I love the pen. This device is remarkable and outstanding without it, but the pen really does take it to another level for me. I use it for drawing, doodling, taking notes, having my notes transcribed (the transcription software delivered with it is quite good), and use to more efficiently play games and such. It is really the icing on the cake.

I highly recommend the Samsung Galaxy NOTE. It could conceivably be my go-to device for several years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Tablet and Phone!!, November 22, 2011
I just want to add my two cents worth to the other reviewer's comments - and I understand many of you won't pay attention since I did not buy this from Amazon. One word sums up the Galaxy Note: Fabulous! Beautiful and very bright display and I love the pen input. Many things, including calendars, can be written on with the pen - it is very flexible in this regard. One point not mentioned above - it is enabled for GLONASS (Russian) GPS. I've taken it on two walks on the GPS accuracy and speed are great. It picks up location much faster than my other phones which I assume is due to the GLONASS GPS receiver. I do want to mention a couple of ankle-biters though: I've downloaded all of my Amazon games and I have to say Plants-vs-Zombies ran kinda slow. I tried rebooting it and playing it again - same story. So - I checked today and sure enough there was a 14+ mb update from Samsung which took the version to 2.3.6 (version when new was 2.3.5). Both games I checked ran just fine after the update. Second - it does go through battery fairly quickly when connected to wi-fi - but this is typical of Android phones. If you're short on data (I only get 200-mb per month on mine) then this could be an issue if you intend to use wi-fi a lot. Last but not least - I could not find any reasonably priced carrying cases for it. One was listed for sale here but was pretty pricey and would not ship until mid-December. So - I went to the local media store and found a Garmin pouch - intended to be used with 5-inch Garmin GPS's (ASIN: B00422KZQG). The fit is a little tight but it's perfect for $15 here on Amazon until a real case comes out. Anyways - the Galaxy Note really is the best thing since sliced bread - small enough to be with you all the time - yet large enough to serve as a fantastic tablet.
**** Added Comments on 26 NOV 11 **** I've had the Galaxy Note a few more days now and I wanted to update my comments. The update to 2.3.6 appears to have addressed the possible wi-fi battery usage issue I mentioned above. After a full charge, I have used the phone two days and two hours and the battery level was at 78% this morning. The past two days were light usage - but I did check e-mail using 3G both days and made a short call each day. So - if there was a wi-fi battery usage problem it has been resolved. And, I continue to be impressed by the beauty, color and high resolution of the display. This is a beautiful and highly functional phone/tablet that I highly recommend!
**** Added Comments on 16 DEC 11 **** The Galaxy Note continues to astound me! Just like another reviewer commented - this really is the best phone/tablet yet! Integration with Exchange e-mail (IMAP) is flawless. And, better yet, the e-mail client does the best job I have seen in handling e-mail with embedded photos. Screen caps are equally easy using the included pen - although the little button you have to hold down for screen caps is tricky to manipulate. And, this is the best device I have for battery life. With occasional use throughout each day - I have gotten as many as eight days of battery life!! I still think there is only one (minor) downside to the Note - the lack of a quality protective case.
**** Added comments on 31 DEC 11 **** I'm still thrilled with my Note and I cannot find anything to criticize. I continue to especially impressed with how it handle's email. I received a Gmail message with seven large photo attachments - the Note received it in a couple of seconds - and showed thumbnails within maybe five seconds. I use Apple Mail on my MacBook Air - and even after 24+ hours the little pinwheel is still spinning trying to pull in all of the attachments!! Despite all of it's good points, and based on a comment I just received, I would have to say that the Note (and any other device with less than a 7-inch display) is not the best device for hours and hours of web-surfing. A 5.3-inch display is just too small for that IMHO.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect superphone: maximum pocketable screen size finally well executed, November 30, 2011
Very fast network speeds of 7.2 Mps on AT&T network ( (GSM/GPRS/EDGE): 850, 900, 1800, and 1900 MHzUMTS: 850, 900, 1900, and 2100 MHzHSPA+: 21 Mbit/s; HSUPA: 5.76 Mbit/s ). Very light device with excellent battery life and incredible screen resolution that exceeds HD. The AMOLED is stunningly vivid and bright yet can be lowered below system brightness ("Quicker" app) for e.g. Kindle reading in bed when all lights are off and partner wants to sleep.

Samsung has released the source code and driver info so there is already a lot of support in the community in best Linux/Android fashion.

This device here on Amazon.com is actually the same that is sold in Germany (this vendor ships batches to the US and replenishes the stock as needed, that's why there is sometimes an odd statement like "will ship in 2 days when available" next to the purchase button). We got ours shipped overnight for $3.99 - amazing.

We just got 2 of these to replace our Dell Streaks and as much as I liked the Streak, it is refreshing to see that a smart phone does not have to be hacked in order to work as intended. No reboots, no battery issues. It is minimally wider compared to the Streak.

When the Note is dropped the screen is much better protected due to the time-proven (and annoyingly iPhone3-ish) bevel mount. I've broken two Dell Streak screens (sic!) because of the "tension" screen mount that device had.

You have to enter a new APN (access point) in the mobile settings to get access to the AT&T data network:
copy from thread at androidforums "galaxy-note-not-detecting-sim-card"

"Go to Settings --> Wireless and Network --> and Access Point Names. You might have to make a new apn. "

Name: AT&T
MNC:410
Authentication type: not set
APN Type: internet + mms

xxxxxxxxx

Note that there are going to be several variants and this one here, N7000, is the most versatile ([...]):
N7000 - The original version, with a dual-core 1.4GHz Cortex A9 processor
N7003 - A lower-powered and cheaper version, with a single-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 8255T processor
LTE version - with higher-speed communications ability, initially available only in South Korea, will only have the single-core processor; will have the NFC chip ("pay for stuff by waving your phone") - rumors exists that the N7000 can be equipped with the NFC chip on a battery later on

With regards to speeds, this 7000 here has HSPA+ and not LTE. Although LTE can be faster in theory, HSPA+ produce 5-20mbps and VZW LTE only around 5-25mbps. WiMax is somewhere in the same range. In my mind, it was not worth waiting for the Korean LTE version to arrive in the US for that reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars Galaxy Note Just Rocks / 3 weeks now, November 26, 2011
I never write reviews. I only read them. I have been an Apple user for years because I believe in their quality. I've been using the Galaxy note now for about 7 days. It really does eliminate need for any other device to be carried around, it does it all - and it does it all excellently!
I'm not going to talk about any specifics because everything you want to do (business or entertainment) works perfectly. If you're considering this device I highly suggest going for it. You will not regret it one bit. I like this Note so much I find myself not even using my iMac at home. If I could rate the Galaxy Note 10 stars, I'd do it in a heart beat!
Purchased through Amazon, the best place to shop on the planet!

I'm up to 3 weeks now using the GN every day, and my original 5 star rating stands solid. I use it all day long for a multitude of things (everything you can do on a tablet and a phone) and the battery typically will have around 50% left at the days end. This ...is an astounding device!

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST PHONE EVER MADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, December 14, 2011
BEST PHONE EVER MADE is the SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE. IT DOES EVERYTHING. ANDROID#1!!! YOU CAN DRAG AND DROP YOUR FILES, PICTURES, MUSIC, AND FOLDERS JUST LIKE A PC.
the 5.3 inch screen is super beautiful! way bigger than the super small iphone screen:)
screen is nice to watch all your videos on youtube and netflix
color is more vivid and eye catching!
it fits perfect in my front pocket jeans and pants. i carry it everywhere.
trust me, you will LOVE THIS SEXY PHONE!!!!!!!
samsung galaxy note is like having a samsung s2 and a samsung tab 10.1 all in one. why carry two when you can have the samsung galaxy note!

I have at&t and it works perfect! just do the following:

"Go to Settings --> Wireless and Network --> Mobile networks--> Access Point Names--> New APN-->" then type in the following:

Name: AT&T
MCC:310
MNC:410
Authentication type: none
APN Type: internet + mms

I do NOT like APPLE PRODUCTS. apple controls you. i had an iphone 4 and you can't drag and drop, can't create folders, have to sync to itunes. sometimes it will not sync right and you lose files/games/pics/music and have to resync. i hate syncing to itunes! what a waste of time. SAMSUNG#1 period ANDROID!

5.0 out of 5 stars Near-perfect as the Device You Always Have with You, December 15, 2011
Amazon Customer "Just a User" (New Hampshire, United States) - See all my reviews
If you intend to always have your laptop or tablet with you and immediately accessible, then the Galaxy Note is still a good choice for a phone. But if you expect to often be using your phone instead of the laptop or tablet that you don't have with you at that moment, then no other device I know of comes even close to the Galaxy Note. It fits in all the same places where my iPhone 4G used to fit (mostly my front pants pocket,) and it does just as good a job when used as a phone. (Some people think the larger size looks strange when used for voice calls, but I don't, and I've gotten only positive comments.)

Now however, my phone also serves as my tablet without me needing to carry an additional device or have an additional data plan. That's huge for me, since I would carry my tablet in a bag and now I just don't carry the bag. I can also do a lot of real work that I normally do on my laptop.

I used to have my tablet at home for media consumption and communications, and carry my laptop with me from work to home for more serious work. Now I have given away the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet (btw was/is a great tablet), and I leave my laptop in the office most nights. The only thing I move around is my Galaxy Note. Big change.

The Swype keyboard works quite well for me, and I've written multiple paragraphs without discomfort, but I'm thinking of getting a bluetooth keyboard to put in my travel bag, in case I want to do a lot of writing on the plane.

Android 2.3.6 works well. I'm hoping ICS will be even better when it arrives, supposedly in a few months. A small thing is that when a text box appears and the cursor is blinking in it, why do I need to touch the text box to bring up the keyboard?

I transferred my AT&T Sim card from my iPhone to the Note, and then entered the APN information given in one of the other reviews to get the data working. It all worked well, EXCEPT that I didn't realize that the iPhone uses a micro SIM, but the Galaxy Note uses a standard size SIM, which cost me two days. Maybe ATT would have swapped SIM cards for me, but I didn't ask; I just ordered a micro Sim to standard Sim adapter for a couple dollars from Amazon and waited for it to arrive. The adapter works well, and now I can swap my Sim amongst devices, regardless of what size Sim they use, at least until the industry inevitably invents the next smaller size Sim card.

I bought an HDMI adapter for the Note, and it works well, although I was surprised to learn that it needs a separate usb power input in addition to connecting it between the Note and the TV. So now I can watch videos on the TV. The TED Air app let's me download the TED talks in HD to the Note. The Note's screen is plenty big enough to watch the videos comfortably on the Note, or the HDMI adapter lets me watch them on the bigger screen, where they look great. Non-HD web videos will not look as good of course.

The USB power adapter that came with the Note is European with a US adapter on top. So it's a little long. However, the Note's cable is standard USB on one end and standard Micro B USB on the other, so I've just been using my old iPhone USB power adapter. No doubt this is only an issue with the unlocked phone; I'm sure when the US carriers finally start selling the Note in the US, it will come with a standard US adapter. I was worried that there might be more issues with the fact that the phone was not made for the US market, but that's all I've noticed so far, except that when it starts up for the first time, the question of what language you want to use is asked in German. What's being asked is sort of obvious to anyone who's started up a phone before, but just in case they include in the package a little piece of paper to tell you which selection to make to switch everything to English. Just takes a second.

Of course there's a lot to say about how good the screen, the camera, etc. etc. are, but you can get that info from the specs and other reviews. This phone really is excellent in just about every respect. In this review, I've tried to focus on 1) "Is it too big, or is it exactly the optimal size to do the multi-function job I want while staying as fully portable as my old phone." [Answer: the latter.] And 2) "Is it going to be a problem buying an unlocked non-US phone?" [Answer: It's mostly fine, although a) you may need to exchange your micro Sim for a new standard Sim card form factor or buy an adapter in order to switch your Sim from your current phone (don't put a micro Sim in the Note's standard size Sim slot or it may go in deep enough to be difficult to get out), and b) you might find it a little weird entering the APN settings in order to get your data connection working--I had never done it before, but I just followed the steps outlined in the Amazon review by "san diego best weather" and it worked immediately.

I've only had the Note a week. So far, I'm very, very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Smartphone Yet!, December 11, 2011
My wife bought this for me for Christmas. Amazon shipped it very quickly. The original plan was for me to check it out and make sure it worked OK, then she would wrap it and put it under the tree. That plan didn't work out so well. After playing with it, I refused to give it up!

It has a fantastic screen which, unlike the iP4, is actually big enough to take advantage of the high resolution; perfect for using Kindle-reader. It's very, very fast. It has excellent battery life; I made it through four days of light use on the first full charge, ending up at 16% at the end of the 4th day. It has really good GPS (due to being able to use Russian Glonass birds as well as US GPS ones) and gets position locks very quickly, even indoors. The camera is also quite good (for a phone) although I think the latest iP4S may have a slight edge there.

I have not used the stylus much. It works as advertised, but I don't find it to be a terribly compelling a feature.

I'm happy that I got the "Rest of World" version which has the physical home key, which is a far better design than the the four capacitive buttons the Note will will most likely have when it comes to the US officially. It works great on AT&T; I simply popped the SIM from my Infuse in and set up the APN correctly, which is trivial.

As a former Dell Streak owner who settled for a smaller phone (Samsung Infuse) for a while, I absolutely love this device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought the HK version, December 12, 2011
I just came back from a business trip in China in which I got the HK version of this phone. It is incredible. Best phone&tablet I have used so far. I've used the iPhone (original, 3G, and 4), Samsung Galaxy S along with HP Touchpad, the iPad and original kindle. With this phone, I no longer have to carry a tablet or an e-reader!

It is fast, responsive, and the screen is downright gorgeous. I have used it extensively to check emails and it is SO much easier to type email and view documents on this then on the iPhone or small Galaxy S. I can type extremely quickly when it is in portrait mode. I also downloaded the kindle app (after rooting the phone and using market enabler for Verizon). I was able to read my ebooks without a problem.

I'm currently using this on the AT&T network and i did NOT have to add a new APN.

Honestly, best phone/tablet by far!

*** Dec 23, 2011 Update ***
I have used my phone extensively in the states now for the past two weeks:
- 3G Speeds: I do not have 4g service but I've been getting consistent 3g Speeds of 2.8Mps for downloads and 600Kps uploads. Speedtest.net. I have a business account with AT&T and I will update my data plan to 4g in January.

- I have not received any warning messages from AT&T.

- I'm sorry, I will not post the IMEI number for my phone.

- the size of the screen makes it extremely handy viewing ppt and pdf files. Awesome

- there was native bloatware that was preloaded with this device from hongkong that can't seem to be installed. I still have no idea what it does except for eat RAM.

-overall, absolutely the best phone I've ever owned.

Rate and Discover Movies