4.0 out of 5 stars This is THE smartwatch to get
This is coming from someone who has a Pebble, a Sony Smartwatch 2, and the Gear 1.

I compare the Gear Neo to the Pebble there
Published 10 months ago by That Guy B

2.0 out of 5 stars Good concept but poor quality & aftermarket service
Initially I liked the Gear2. I saw no point or use case for a camera on my wrist, so I opted for the neo.

It's lightweight and easy to use. The design is OK, but it would benefit from a little more investment in in materials, like a metal bezel, but the same thing can be said of the phones (boy, Samsung loves plastics!).

However, firstly, as other...
Published 10 months ago by SteveW

4.0 out of 5 stars This is THE smartwatch to get, April 11, 2014
This review is from: Samsung Gear 2 Neo Smartwatch - Black (US Warranty) (Wireless Phone Accessory)

I compare the Gear Neo to the Pebble there
Out of those 3, the Gear 1 actually had the best build followed closely by the Smartwatch 2. The Pebble was the absolute worst because it looks and feels like a toy. However, I use the Pebble the most because it is the most convenient and works extremely well.

That was until this Neo became the One (get it?). The Neo is the best smartwatch currently out. At it's price its only slightly more than a Pebble and it's far more useful. First off, the Neo is plastic so it's lightweight and comfortable. It's a lovely matte plastic and it looks clean and streamlined. The screen is beautiful and it took a page out of the Pebble by shutting off the screen until you flick your wrist. The watch detects the movement and the screen lights up.

One thing that really bothered me about the Pebble was the display. I actually like the retro monochromatic screen but whenever I wore polarized sunglasses I couldn't read the screen. This means while I was driving, the Pebble essentially couldnt serve its purpose. The Sony SW2 was better, but the screen was hazy and no where near the level of the Gear 1 or Neo.

I know people had concerns that Samsung moved over to Tizen instead of Android for the Gear 2 but it's actually a benefit. I'm not sure if android is suited for wearables (Moto 360 and the LG Watch may prove otherwise) but there was some lag on the Gear 1 that is no longer there.

I particularly like being able to sync songs into the watch. When I work out or go for a run, I can have the watch and a bluetooth headset. No longer do I have to strap on my Note 3 to my arm. The fact that there's a heart rate monitor, pedometer, and music player all on the wrist is unbelievably convenient.

The Neo represents the best buy out of the entire line of gen 2 Gear watches. This is the same price as the Gear Fit so I don't know why anyone would choose that unless they prefer the design. I dont think the Gear 2 is worth an extra $100 over the Neo. It has full stainless body but the camera is pretty pointless and the novelty wears off quickly (Happened on the first gen Gear).

It's pretty amazing that the Neo can be priced at $199 and have so many features built in. I think it might need a software update to fix some minor hiccups and I'll revise my review when that happens.
-------

So far battery life has been great. For having a bright screen, this lasts me 2-3 days. It would get more but I have notifications sets for facebook, texts, email and google hang outs.

I love that you can set specific apps that you want notifications from. For instance I get no Google+ notifications, but I get hangouts. The ability to filter what you receive is great.

One suggestion I would say if you are using this to control music in your car is to set the "double tap" option to control music. When the screen times out, you have to scroll to get back into the music app to change songs because the watch automatically goes back to the homescreen. It's dangerous to swipe constantly just to change songs.

By double pressing the center button, the app comes right up and I swipe to the song I want. Also, its easier to keep your eyes on the road when you push a physical button (one benefit of the pebble) rather than trying to find an icon out of 4 items on the screen.

Heart rate monitor also works better when you turn the watch to the inside of your wrist.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good concept but poor quality & aftermarket service, April 28, 2014

However, firstly, as other reviewers note, the the heart rate monitor is totally useless in any fitness application. You have to stand totally still and not even speak. Even then it gets a heart rate less than 50% of the time. This watch is NOT going to replace your running watch and and chest strap!

I would forgive that, although their marketing is totally mis-leading (showing photos of people in active sports!), however, today, on day 17, the home key button just fell off, all on its own.

The watch only has one button, at least it could stay on!

I'm now stuck with Samsung's appalling after care service. The service manager told me they needed at least 1-2 days to investigate it, I showed him the hole where the button used to be, and pointed out it didn't need much investigation! They said it would take a week, which is totally unacceptable. After a long discussion they admitted that have no spare parts or replacements yet. They have not been allocated any supply.

So Samsung is happy to sell you a watch, but not to repair or replace it.

After an hour on the phone to the 'customer service' manager (who's main training was finding 100 ways to say 'NO'), they have promised to replace the unit, as assign as soon as can locate a new one. I pointed out that every store is selling them, so it really can take long.

I Iike the core function of getting notifications on on my wrist, and the watch does a good job of the basics, but only lasting 17 days, that is is very poor. 2 stars maybe generous?!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead @ 7 months and Samsung won't repair, April 10, 2014
UPDATE (1/30/15):

After much arguing with Samsung, they will not honor the warranty on the device. The screen issue I have is clearly not physical damage - there's no cracks, chips, or scratches in the glass. However, they are calling it out of warranty simply because there is a screen / glass issue. What's more, the remaining major issues with the device (namely Bluetooth doesn't work, it doesn't boot, and it won't hold a charge - all of which happened at different times) they will not fix without fixing the screen, which they want $149 for.

Here is the timeline:

~ 3 months: Bluetooth starts getting flaky. Have to periodically disconnect it and reconnect it from my phone or reboot it for it to find it again.

~ 5 months: The glass starts to delaminate from the LCD with no clear damage or cause - it isn't chipped, cracked, or scratched. It began in one corner and started working its way around the edges.

~ 7 months: The Bluetooth dies completely and will not turn back on. When I'd try to turn it back on in settings, it would pop up a "Processing" message, then turn back off. So I factory reset the watch back to original settings. After factory reset, the watch booted to an "Unknown error" screen and would boot no further.

~ 8 months: Watch stops charging, so now I can't even boot it back to the "Unknown error" screen to show anybody. Fortunately I took a picture first - if only Amazon would let you add photos to an existing review...

~ 10 months: Finally get around to opening a ticket with Samsung and send the watch in for warranty service. After they get it, I get an email telling me the repair price has changed from $0 to $149, with no explanation. When I call in (since their website wasn't working), I'm told the "certified engineer" categorized the screen as physically damaged. In addition, they refuse to fix any of the other issues with the watch unless I also pay them to fix the screen.

UPDATE (older - before the BT died and glass began to separate):

Still reasonably happy with my Gear 2 Neo. However, given there are now non-proprietary smart watches available, if I were buying again, I'd give those some serious consideration. This does what I need, but some of the newer devices have a bit more maturity - better UI, more attractive, work with non-Samsung devices, etc... One of my coworkers just bought a Moto 360, it definitely is a more attractive device. Samsung also now has the Gear Live, which is not proprietary to Samsung phones. Given that, I have a hard time seeing a compelling case for the Gear 2 Neo at this time - even if you want a Samsung watch, check out the Gear Live first.

Some of the quirks I mentioned in my review below (which was written on release day) have been addressed. The pulse feature is somewhat improved - it doesn't constantly tell me to sit still. The "S Health" integration still has a couple issues, but is cleaner than it was. The bugs in "Fitness for Gear" have largely been addressed.

All that said... Given the other options, I think the Gear 2 Neo's days are numbered.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Just received my Gear 2 Neo in Mocha Grey, and wanted to jot down a few of my thoughts while they're fresh in my mind (these have been updated several times since with additional findings and to make things a bit more concise):

Pro's
------
* Pairing it and connecting it to your Samsung phone is easy (just make sure to have the latest Gear Manager - especially w/ Note 3).
* Screen auto-lock feature is both convenient and secure (slide-to-unlock if your watch is near your phone - pattern unlock if it's not).
* Interface is easy to use.
* Can make it turn on automatically when you lift your wrist (at the expense of battery life).
* Time and weather on one's wrist.
* Find my phone feature rings your phone even if it is on vibrate.
* Bluetooth range is excellent.
* Voice memos make it easy to make yourself quick notes.
* S Voice dialing works well, even with some background noise (don't expect to text with it if there's background noise though).
* Sleep tracker estimates how restful your sleep is by how much you move at night.
* Fast and responsive - no stuttering or delays that I've observed.
* Band is replaceable with regular watch bands.
* Can store MP3's on the watch, and use it as an MP3 player when working out without having to bring your phone with.

Con's
------
* The "S Health" app on my Note 3 doesn't want to sync with the Gear 2, but the "Fitness for Gear" app that works with the Gear 2 doesn't have support for weight and calorie tracking like "S Health" did (nor does it appear to support 3rd party ANT+ devices like "S Health"). Stupid having to use both apps when they're both from Samsung.
* The "Fitness for Gear" app also is a bit buggy. Sometimes I open it and have data and it will sync, and sometimes I open it and it shows "no data" and won't sync. Has a few other display bugs too (like sometimes the history comes up in a giant font where half the data is off-screen and inaccessible). I assume this will be fixed soon (but if it doesn't get fixed I'm going to knock another star off).
* While the device is not as bulky as the original Galaxy Gear, it's certainly not small - especially if you have small wrists.
* Even though the device itself is not small, if you have large wrists the included band may be a bit snug.
* Heart rate is not taken periodically - only during exercise or on demand.
* Charging requires a proprietary cradle.
* It only works with Samsung phones, and long term I'm not sure how much 3rd party integration we'll see as a result.
* Application selection in their app store is quite limited.
* While the interface is easy to use, it is a bit bare bones in appearance.

A Bit of Both
--------------
* Battery life is mixed. With normal usage I get about two days. However, with heavier usage I get more like 36 hours.
* The pedometer is nice, but it tends to pick up other motions as steps (such as petting my cats). That said, if your gait is regular and you aren't doing other stuff w/ your hands, then it is seemingly accurate, so for exercise it is ok (just not as a daily total step counter - over the course of a day it seems to over-count by about 25% to 30%).
* Exercise tracker and pulse-based trainer is a good idea, but the pulse is inaccurate and finicky. For resting pulse I have to take it repeatedly while it tells me to be still and quiet. With exercise it obviously allows movement, but the accuracy is doubtful (told me I had a 58 pulse while taking a walk yesterday - I'm not in that type of shape). If I can't figure out a way to improve this, it will move to the con's list.
* Remote control feature is a neat idea, but it's inadequate for many setups (such as if you use a receiver or a Blu-ray player) - it only controls the TV and set-top box. It also lacks the complex navigation for the guide and DVR on the cable box. If you mostly watch TV though and don't use a receiver, then it might be a convenience for you. Would be better if they made it programmable.

The Gear 2 Neo is functional, but still just a bit large, limited, and rough around the edges. At present (4/11/14), this is likely the best smart watch available, but smart watch technology is still not quite fully mature - if you get one, consider yourself an early adopter. I can't give it 5 stars, but it is pretty consistent with what I was expecting, so I think the 4 stars are warranted. If they don't fix the "Fitness with Gear" bugs or I can't find a way to get a more reliable pulse out of it during exercise, then I may reduce my rating to 3 stars. Part of the reason I got the device was to have one device that did it all.

Also, if you are thinking about buying one, be aware that Android Wear gear from Motorola and LG is supposed to come out this summer. I can't speak to feature set of those devices yet (nor their battery life), but the pictures make them look a bit more polished than the Gear 2, and they will work with any Android phone with a new enough OS (rather than just Samsung's), so they'll probably get better 3rd party app support as well.

If you're determined to get a Gear 2 Neo or Gear 2 now though (which is not a bad thing - obviously I decided to get one myself)... The only significant difference that I'm aware of between the Gear 2 Neo and Gear 2 is that the Gear 2 has a camera while the Neo does not (I've heard others comment that the Gear 2 also has a stainless steel body while the Neo is plastic - I can confirm the latter, but haven't looked into the former). However, unless you see yourself taking pictures from your wrist often (it doesn't face the right direction for video chat), I'd recommend saving the $100 and getting the Gear 2 Neo (particularly when the technology is still in its infancy, since we're going to see much better devices come out over the next couple years).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Addition to my S5, April 28, 2014
I was torn between the three smart watch offerings from Samsung. I liked the refined look of the Gear 2 but I would never use the camera when my phone has a much better one. I liked the look of the Gear Fit but it didn't have enough of the functionality I wanted and the reviews are not so good. The Gear Neo fit my desires and the price was acceptable.

Things I like:
- The Built-In MP3 player. I hate wearing an arm-band at the gym. With the Neo and my BT headphones I have all I need.
- The email and txt notifications
- Using it to talk on the phone. It actually works quite well
- The pedometer and fitness tracking options
- The customizing options of the home screens
- The battery last about 3 days in normal use
- The sleep monitor

Things I don't like
- The charging cradle. It seems like there is enough real-estate to use a standard plug.
- Not being able to add manual entries to the fitness log (this is a general S-Health issue)
- The wristband is a little hard to snap close. It has a learning curve.
- The battery drains fast when you use BT music and record an exercise. It goes from full to about 60% with a 1.5 hour workout.
- The results of the sleep monitor. I need more sleep.

Overall I am extremely pleased with the purchase. I've only had it a week and I'm not sure I can part with it anymore. I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The watch to have (in my opinion), November 15, 2014
I chose this watch over the Gear 2 because I did not need a "spy camera." I have been very impressed with it since Day 1. It only takes approximately 90 minutes to fully charge. I can make and receive calls on it, just as advertised. I can read short emails without having to pull out my phone. I can receive text messages and reply to them (through a customizable list of templates). This watch has also proven to be very durable. I wear it all of the time. It has been bumped against a few walls and rained on during morning runs. It has had no issues. I won't take showers with it, but it is water resistant. The watch is also very smart. It can monitor and compile sleeping patterns and workout histories. I connected my bluetooth headset to it to wirelessly listen to music. I even downloaded the Clocki watch face (see photo). Many people don't even notice that it is a smart watch until I receive a call or text message on it. This watch is great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for the delicate screen!, July 9, 2014
Paka Paka (Georgia, United States) - See all my reviews
This was a gift for my husband's birthday. The day before I gave it to him I sneaked his phone into the bathroom in the middle of the night to download the app and sync everything up. He is Puerto Rican so I was even able to install the Puerto Rican flag as the clock-face wallpaper and he loved it to death.

The directions say NOT to put any type of screen protection on it since it could interfere with the functionality of the touch screen, but my husband managed to get a scratch on it the very first day of wear, so be careful! I have since purchased a screen protector for it anyway that will be delivered next week. It's just too delicate to leave exposed. (UPDATE: I purchased the Skinomi® TechSkin - Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 Neo Screen Protector + Brushed Steel Full Body Skin Protector / Front & Back Premium HD Clear Film / Ultra High Definition Invisible and Anti-Bubble Crystal Shield with Free Lifetime Replacement Warranty - Retai... and it works like a charm! It doesn't interfere with the functionality at all. The protection seems very tough and even the little scratch is now invisible. I highly recommend it!)

The watch is fabulous. He was so tickled to be able to take calls and to respond to text messages via voice (there is no keypad of course, the keys would be microscopic!). You can respond to text messages either through S-Voice, emoticons or a set of phrases already installed. My husband works in a restaurant and since he does not allow his employees to use their phone in view of the public, he must follow suit. Now when I text him he can at least see that I'm calling without pulling out his phone (my ulterior motive for getting this for him, of course!). Many of the employees had never seen or heard of such a watch, and some did not believe that you could actually talk on it like a telephone. This is like when jump drives came out; none of my friends believed it could replace a floppy disk! The watch face stays dark unless you turn your wrist in a certain way -- the watch tries to determine when you are trying to look at it. So it will come on at the turn of a wrist even if you are not looking at it, which does draw attention.

You cannot move photos from the phone to your watch's gallery; it has to be done through USB port from a computer. This stinks -- if you can move music from the phone to the watch then why not pics? I love the watch -- not enough to get one for myself because it looks too masculine, but it sure looks great on my husband!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't trust the IP 67 certification. Samsung will not back it up!, July 25, 2014
I really liked this smart watch at first. But after about a month the screen went blank. I sent it in for repair to Samsung and was told it was out of warranty due to water damage to the motherboard. I appealed the decisions due to the fact I never submitted to watch to anything it was not designed to handle. Samsung states the phone is water resistant to 1m (3.3ft) for up to 30 minutes. I explained if there was water damage it was because of a defect to the watch and not due to misuse by me. I was told they could not override the certified techs decision. To top it all off it would cost $161 to fix but I only paid $150 for it brand new.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's like a Microwave - I can't live without it now., October 28, 2014
J. Holmes (Mount Pleasant, SC United States) - See all my reviews
Battery Life:
I charge the watch every night when I go to bed, though it's not necessary. The percent charge when I plug it up at night has ranged from 80% (the first day I had the watch and was playing around with it constantly) to 92%. So, on a good day 14 hours used up 8% of the battery, on a bad day it used up 20% in 14 hours.

Notifications:
They work very well. You can quickly and easily turn notifications on or off for anything that your phone gets notifications for. Notification volume is separate for the watch and phone, so you can mute your phone and still get watch notifications, or not, or visa versa. Notifications are fast. If I leave the volume up on both phone and watch, the watch will always beep about .5 to 1 second after the phone beeps. Some notifications will actually show you the full contents of the message, and some will inform you to look at your phone for the full content (if you pick up your phone at that point, the content will already be up for you to view). There are apparently some apps you can get that will give you more full notifications, but I haven't felt the need to install and try them as the notifications that matter most to me give me all the info on the watch (Like texts and G+ comments). If it's a large read, I prefer to look at the phone at my convenience anyway. Just having the awareness that it's there is enough.

Voice Calls:
Personally, I love it. I've been using the watch to talk far more than the phone itself. But my circumstances are ideal for it. It does not go loud enough for a noisy environment, but I'm rarely in a noisy environment so it doesn't matter. I've used it in the car while driving comfortably, so think of that as about the limit to background noise drowning out the voice on the watch. Really, for a watch, if you cut the volume up all the way it's very audible. I have a bluetooth audio connection setup in one of my cars, and I noticed much to my pleasure that if I'm connected to both the bluetooth car audio and the watch, answering on the watch will push the voice over to the audio systems bluetooth rather than keep it on the watch. Perfect! I've had no complaints (nor anyone even noticing I'm speaking into a watch) from the other end of the line as far as my voice quality goes.

IR emitter and related Apps:
This is a let down. The emitter itself works great if you can get an app to actually send something to it. Adequate range, etc. However, the app that comes with the watch does not work for stereo audio systems, dvd players, dvr's, etc. Basically, TV's and air conditioners? And even then, my tv was not compatible, and even if it was, it does not have much in the way of controls for the tv. I did find a free app that was much more advanced and worked with all the controls for all my many devices, however the app is incredibly buggy. Sometimes buttons stick and continue to fire (virtually stick), sometimes it takes seconds for the IR to decide to fire after hitting a button, etc. Basically, outside of very simple and specific things, the IR emitter is not very useful right now. If someone would take the time to write a bug free remote app for it, that would change. Personally, I think Samsung should do it and have it as the new standard remote app for the watch.

S Voice: Well, it works about as good as it does on the phone. I prefer google's solution to S Voice, but S Voice is still very good IMO. For example.. let's see.. I'll ask it "What's the atomic weight of Iron" right now, and post the answer: 55.845 u (unified atomic mass units) - That message is both displayed on the watch screen and read aloud by the watch. Of course, all the other "control" related items work great through S Voice, such as sending a text, dialing a number, etc..

Controls/Intuitiveness: The controls work incredibly well and are extremely intuitive. The basics are just swiping through screens left and right, backup with a top down swipe, and return home with the button. There's some more advanced controls such as long presses, two finger stuff, etc... but you can do everything you need to seamlessly with just those 3 swipe movements.

There's other little nifty tidbits and apps you can have such as weather, navigation, notes, voice memos, calendars, new watch faces, little mini games, tip calculators, calculators (I LOVE teracalc), pedometer, Pulse Rate Monitor, sleep tracker (tracks movement), etc... but really, my main use for this watch is in the ability to rarely have to pick up my phone to answer calls, read texts, see notifications etc.. The fact is, before I got this watch I was a horrible phone person. I got too many notifications to pay attention to any of them, and half the time my phone was inconveniently out of reach. For me personally, this watch reminds me of the first microwave. I just can't imagine living without it now. I keep up with all my notifications now, but at the same time I don't feel at all inconvenienced for doing so.

Comfort wise, I can't complain. I've never owned a watch I didn't feel ready to take off at the end of the day (I get that cast wearing need to scratch under the watch by days end), and this one is not better or worse than any watch I remember wearing in the past. It doesn't stand out like a giant piece of tech on my arm, so I don't feel self conscious about wearing it. I can't complain. However, I'm a 6 foot two man. I imagine this would be a bit more conspicuous for smaller individuals, or stylistically for a lot of women.

Could this watch be improved? Definitely. I use the "Fleksy Messenger" app to type and reply to texts on the watch currently, and the keyboard works very well for such a tiny thing. This sort of functionality should be baked in out of the box IMO, as well as a good Universal Remote. The speaker could be made a little bit louder, although really if you're in that kind of noisy environment odds are you don't want everyone around you listening to your watch.

In summary, I can't live without this watch, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be improved.

Misc Info:
When I first purchased this watch, I had it paired with a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. It is now paired with the Note 4. Works well on both.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, July 7, 2014
I enjoy this device and had no trouble connecting it to my GS 4. I was a little disappointed with the battery life. I had read that people were able to go 3 days before recharging. I'm not sure how they were able to do this. I have to recharge it almost every day. I am also disappointed that I am not able to merge it with the Walking Mate app that came standard on my phone. I also downloaded the Sleep Genius app and would really like it if it would save the alarm time correctly and if the Gear would not light up every time I moved my arm (which kept waking me up) - is there a setting to turn off the "wake up" feature during certain times? This would be ideal.

One thing that I really loved was that I was able to send a text by voice from my Gear even when my phone was charging in another room. It even knew to put a question mark at the end of my sentence. The other thing I really loved was that my phone still connected to the bluetooth in my car automatically, just like it did before I got the Gear Neo. I had been worried that I would have to disconnect the Gear from my phone every time I got into the car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally A Full Fledged Smart Watch!, April 14, 2014
Upon receiving my new Gear 2 Neo, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the watch had a 70% charge right of the bat so I could start using as soon as I set it up. After updating the watch with the latest software I was up and running and I have to admit that so far it has been a joyful experience using this smart watch to accomplish tasks that would otherwise require the use of my phone.

Notifications have been vastly improved over the last gen Gear to incorporate alerts from an extensive library of apps (ranging from Google Voice all the way to WhatsApp) it truly is a companion device. Also, how could anyone forget the screen. The second gen Gear lineup has the best looking screen on any wearable device to date. The colors are rich and vibrant due to the same AMOLED screen being used from Samsungs Galaxy phones. Text was sharp and clear as well as big, so there weren't any problems reading a pretty large text message that would otherwise give you a headache on any other wearable device.

Battery life has been good so far. In all honesty during the time of this review I've only had the device for the entire day and so I cannot say for certain how long the device would last on a single charge. However at the rate this thing is going, I would say that it would be able to squeeze out at least two days on a full charge. I'll be sure to update this as I spend more time with the device.

Did I forget to mention that the watch is stylish. Now I got the black color, so for me it suits every type of apparel for every type of occasion. One of my biggest fears was that the watch would be too bulky for my wrists, however after putting it on for the first time that thought never crossed my mind again as this was the perfect size for a smart watch to be.

Yes it is disappointing that the Gear 2 lineup cannot be paired to any Android device or even an older Samsung Galaxy phone however for me this is a not an inconvenience but rather a small annoyance.

Overall, it you own a Samsung device (Galaxy S3 or newer) then this would be the perfect complimentary device to along with it.