5.0 out of 5 stars Pure "awesomeness" for a tech savvy person, 5-stars Samsung!
I was an early adopter of the Gear 1 and surprisingly I fell in love with the product rather quickly. Mind you I was never a watch person - so I was skeptical whether or not I would like it. There's a few reasons I learned to enjoy the first version and upgraded to the Gear 2.

Published 5 months ago by Rob T.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleased and puzzled at the same time
Published 5 months ago by Dmitry Kan

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure "awesomeness" for a tech savvy person, 5-stars Samsung!, April 15, 2014

1) If my phone is in my pocket, bag, or another room, I can see who was calling or texting and answer, delay, or reply from my watch.

2) My favorite thing to do is to change the watch face color and design for the holiday, season or event. I can even change the watch face to match my shirt color for the day. Waiting for the full watch styler for the Gear 2...

3) Phone Locator. Yes, sometimes I misplace my phone. The gear had a phone finder feature which surprisingly came in handy on an occasion or two.

4) Style. In my opinion it looks sharp. I am a business professional and I think it looks great with a suit.

5) Safety. Going back to number 1. While driving, I don't have to fumble around for a phone. I can see who is calling and answer in a split second - eyes on the road. To me, that was worth the $300 price of admission by itself.

6) Watch of course! I will not wear a regular watch that simply tells time; that is not enough. However when my watch answers calls, makes calls, reads texts, changes face themes to match my shirt color, takes my heart rate, acts as a mini personal trainer, snaps pictures, records quick voice notes, has a television remote, includes a stand-alone Bluetooth music player, and has easily switchable bands, now we're talking about something I'll wear every day (and it just so happens to tell me the time and date).

Price note: This version of the watch is $300, if you must have the brushed aluminum and the camera. For me, I didn't mind spending the extra dough. For someone who feels (and reviews) $300 is a bit steep - there is the Neo version! Kudo's to Samsung for creating a less expensive version for those not comfortable at this price point.

Bottom line: I enjoyed the Gear 1 and with the additional new improvements, I'm very pleased to own a Gear 2. I find it very useful on a day to day basis!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleased and puzzled at the same time, April 12, 2014
Dmitry Kan (Cambridge, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I did not have original Galaxy Gear, so my impression is not comparative. I like hardware a lot. It feels comfortable on the wrist - not too heavy, not wobbly. Clasp is excellent. Took all of 3 seconds to adjust it just right. I also like the fact that you can easily re-adjust it at any time. You know how in the morning sometimes your wrist is a bit bloated and watch strap becomes too tight? Not a problem here. Watch has a very minimalistic and classy look to it. Nothing extra, brushed metal look is very subtle and solid. I was amazed how accurately screen comes on when you raise your wrist to look at it. And only when you look at it. No false activation and when you do look at it watch responds promptly with 100% accuracy. No need to do anything unnatural. Excellent!
Camera is surprisingly good. In daylight. After dusk it does not pick up anything. At all. Just black screen. But daylight pictures look almost the same as the ones taken with my Galaxy Note 3 on Note's screen. Of course, if you zoom in you will see difference. But for all kinds of quick snapshots - cute moments, notes, parked car location - it will work swimmingly.
Screen is a pure delight. Has brightness levels 1-6. 4 is default and is very bright. You can turn it up to 6 and it can blind you even under the brightest sunlight. Neat thing - watch will reverse back to level 4 brightness after 5 minutes of inactivity.
I don't know if it was the case with original Gear, and I have not seen it mentioned anywhere about Gear 2, but charging cradle is not just for charging. If you connect it to USB port you will get yourself a flash drive. With 2.81G of space. Unlike Android devices all system folders are hidden. So I don't know if one can sideload 3rd party apps. You just have "Music", "Sounds", "Images", "DCIM", "Videos" and "Downloads" folders.
Now the things that puzzled me. WHERE ARE ALL THE APPS??? Besides the ones preloaded on the watch Samsung App store offers "whopping" 18 apps. That's right. Not 100+ as Samsung claimed, not even "dozens" as some reviewers claimed. Maybe I am missing something. I am not a "XDA developer", but not a novice either. I am no stranger to custom ROMs and sideloading 3rd party apps. But with switch to Tizen Samsung shut off Google Play store.
Watch doesn't even have an alarm. It can only show you notifications from alarm clock running on your phone or tablet. I am a big fan of analog watch faces, but need to have a little date window as well. No luck here.
I think all necessary hardware is here. But software part is not just under-baked - it is pretty much nonexistent. Where is promised Evernote, CNN, Expedia, eBay? What happened? All developers bailed and went to write for Google Wear?
I am going to give it a month till my return period expires. I love the hardware - but I need software to support it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of potential, but doesn't justify the price, and the price difference with the Gear 2 Neo, April 24, 2014
Johnny Saigon® (Bangkok/Sydney/Saigon/LA/Waikiki) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've only received mine on April 23rd, so I will continue to update this review as I spend more time and familiarize myself more with it. Let's get down to the nitty gritty:

Pros:

* Lovely screen. 320 x 320 resolution on a 1.63 inch display means 277 PPI, the highest resolution on a smartwatch so far. sAMOLED technology means it's very bright with great saturation and contrast.
* Very fast and smooth. A dual-core 1GHz Samsung Exynos 3250 processor and 512MB of RAM means you can scroll and run apps without any lag. It has the fastest processor of any smartwatch so far.
* Good fit. The face is not too big or clunky, so even with my tiny wrists it goes on and stays on fine. It only weighs 68g(2.4oz), so you will not notice it much. By comparison, the Neo weighs 55g, the original Pebble 38g, the Pebble Steel 56g, and the Sony SmartWatch 2 is a whopping 122.5g. As for the dimensions of the watch face: Sony - 42 x 41 x 9mm, Pebble Steel - 46 x 34 x 10.5mm, Pebble - 52 x 36 x 11.5mm, Gear 2 Neo - 43 x 37 x 9.5mm, Gear 2 - 47 x 37 x 9.5mm.
* Good functionality. The main thing is you can use the watch for actual phone calls, not just a reminder to pick up your phone. Meaning there is a speaker and microphone on the watch for you to be Dick Tracy. I was going to buy the Sony Smartwatch 2, but found out it can't make/receive calls.
-The watch has a heart rate monitor and pedometer built in, so you can use the S Health app on your phone to record and keep track of your heart rate, or how many steps you've taken that day or segment.
-Another functionality that I like is I can control both my TV and cable box in one. I can control the power of both, change the volume of the TV, and change the channel of the cable box. I can also change the source input, and get info on the programming from the cable box. It has an IR blaster, and uses its own WatchON app. Pretty nifty.
-There is also an email for you to check and delete your emails(but can't compose or reply), check and send text messages, check notifications from many apps on your phone, check the weather, has the Feedly app for health/fitness people.
* 4GB of memory(2.9GB free) means you can store music and media to play. So not only can you stream the music from your phone, but you can also store them directly and play your videos and movies straight from the watch!
* Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity to your Samsung phone, and also to your Bluetooth headset. It connected to my Note 3 right away and without any hiccups. And you can still connect and use your Bluetooth headset to make private calls if you don't want to use the watch's speaker.
* Gorilla Glass 3 screen means it more scratch-resistant than other smartwatches. But why even risk it, just get a pack of screen protectors for $6.
* Interchangeable straps - you can change the strap with any 22mm watch strap in the world. Awesome!
* Apps from Banjo, BMW, CNN , Conde Nast, Expedia, eBay, Evernote, Feedly, Garmin, Glympse, GM , iControl, Line, Path, Paypal, Runtastic, Volkswagen, Weather Channel and Under Armour will come to the Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo. Apps on the original Galaxy Gear will probably be ported over to the new version. Source: Pocket-Lint.com
* IP67 dust and water-resistant. Don't take the ratings word for word though. In real-life, this ratings means: 1- you can wear it in the rain. 2- you can wear it while rinsing your hands. 3- You can wear it while exercising and have your sweat all over it. Basically, water can splash on it. But DON'T submerge it in water and expect it to 100%. This rating is about water pressure - it is SUPPOSED to last up to 3 feet in water. But if you submerge it and enough water pressure gets to it, it will malfunction. IT IS NOT WATERPROOF.

Cons:

* Call quality could be better. It isn't as good as on a phone, because it has to project the sound externally, the same as when you route your phone call to the external speaker. The volume could be louder, so using it outdoors or in a noisy environment is not ideal. It is mainly for when you are at home or in your car.
* 2MP camera. Common, really? This is no more than a gimmick. First of all, it is really awkward to position it to take the photos in the first place. You can't hold it like you can a regular camera, or even your phone. You have to do it Dick Tracy style, which is not as cool as it sounds. It's really hard to see what you are shooting and to frame your shot right. And then when you see your photos..the quality is barely passable. Let's just say if you want to take photos, just use your phone. You might think it's really cool that's it's always there and you can just take a photo quicker and better than pulling out your phone. Maybe you're right, for when you see a UFO and you just have to shoot it as quickly as possible. Otherwise, USE YOUR PHONE.
* I am a heavy gadget user. Although Samsung says the watch can last up to 6 days, for me constantly checking my notifications, using the WatchON app, fooling around with the watch, from 10am to 2am it went from 100% to 30%. Your battery usage will vary, and when I just use it to check my notifications when they pop up, make an occasional call with the watch itself, use it sometimes for the fitness and music apps, then it really does last about 3 days. I just wish it can really last a week as I know it might be a problem later, especially on my travels. Which brings me up to the next con:
* The charger cradle is tiny and proprietary. It attaches to the back of the watch for when you want to charge it, and the included micro-USB charger connects to the cradle. It is a small piece of plastic which I fear will be far too easy to lose.
* Finally, it can only connect to your Samsung phones(because of Tizen, and its proprietary connection method). The Pebble and Sony Smart Watch can connect to any Anroid, and the Pebble can connect to the iPhone too.

Conclusion:

This might be the biggest issue for me with this Galaxy Gear 2 line. So this is what happened: Samsung wanted to have a smartwatch before the end of 2013 to get a leg up on the competition. The success of the Pebble smartwatch told Samsung that it needs to be an innovator, not a follower. The launch date of the Note 3 was the perfect opportunity. However, at that time, the Android Wear platform/coding had not existed yet, so Samsung had to take the regular Android coding - which is NOT made for a smartwatch platform - and make all the changes on their own to fit with the original Galaxy Gear smartwatch. They quickly came to realized that is was a much harder task than they had thought, so what happened with the original Galaxy Gear was a rush job that although had a lot of potential, turn out to be something everyone hated. The most egregious shortcoming was that it would only last up to 3-4 hours, which is totally unacceptable. So in reality, version 2 was what the original Gear was supposed to be had Samsung not overestimated their skills, or had more time to develop the original Gear. But since they realized regular Android would not make a good platform for watches(the battery length issue), they switched to their very own Tizen platform instead, as during this development the Android Wear platform was not yet ready, and Samsung did not want to wait(they will have at least HTC, LG, and Motorola to contend with). Now, the biggest issue with Tizen is that it is an unproven platform, and that it is not Android. Several smartphones were supposed to have already been perfected in the Tizen platform, and so far only one has came out, and was quickly buried. So, there are simply not enough developers out there to progress this platform outside of Samsung. So for all we know, this could be another Nokia Symbian OS situation(Maemo and Meego, anyone?) where this Tizen platform is already obsolescent, and might be obsolete once Android Wear comes out and everyone else jumps on board and leaves Tizen in the dust. So although there is huge potential for this watch, we simply just don't know, and to support $200-300 to a soon-to-be defunct possibility is a lot for many consumers to bear.

So should you buy this Galaxy Gear 2 line? I say if you don't already have one, and are itching to have such a cool gadget to complement your phone(like me), then I would recommend the Neo version over this more expensive brother. The ONLY 2 differences are that the Neo lacks the camera, and has a rubber band, instead of a metal one. But the $100 difference is more than enough to justify these 2 omissions. The 8-13MP camera in your phone will take much much better photos, trust me. And although the metal band does look cooler and more luxurious and sophisticated, the money you would save can go towards buying new bands, as they are interchangeable with any 22mm strap out there.

Otherwise, if you are on the fence, I would say stifle your itches and urges, and wait for the LG and HTC watches that will be out in about 2 months from now. If I have learned one thing from their phones, LG and HTC will make beautiful and very functional smartwatches.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent upgrade for second generation, April 22, 2014
This review is from: Samsung Gear 2 Smartwatch - Brown Gold (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I received my new Gear 2 last Saturday morning via USPS, three days after ordering from a third party seller. I decided to order from a third party seller earlier in the week due to the fact that Amazon was still "Temporarily out of stock" on this item with no updates in over a week on when they'd get their stock and start shipping to customers. I had originally ordered from Amazon around a week prior and they still hadn't shipped or updated me at all, so I cancelled the order afterwards because I had no information on when Amazon would have the Gear 2 in stock. Being a Prime customer, it was upsetting that I had to "resort" to purchasing from a third party seller since usually shipping times are much longer. I expected better service and more specific communication from Amazon, especially since the demand for this product was so extensive. Luckily though, it seems that I made a lucky choice of third party seller to buy from because they shipped same-day and the product was packed safely and securely and arrived in about 3 days.

Something important to note is that some sellers are currently selling the Gear 2 for around $320. People avoid these prices, believing they are overpriced, not realizing that Amazon applies sales tax in most states only for items purchased from Amazon directly, which would have made the total cost rise to around $320 at checkout. In this case, there was pretty much no downside purchasing from a third party seller considering there was no estimate for when Amazon would receive their stock, so I decided to make my move and purchased from a seemingly reliable seller. It's also important to note that customers purchasing from third party sellers are exempt from sales tax if the customer resides outside of the seller's state. So, the Gear 2 was around the same price no matter where I purchased from.

Anyways, after having used the Gear 2 for a few days, my thoughts and views are overall positive. Something I found odd was, being in the Computer Science field and having done extensive online research before purchasing, I quickly realized that my views and experience with the Gear 2 hardly matched what negative comments were being spread by the media in news articles, reviews, and opinions and commentaries throughout the past week. The media's stories focused on the belief that the Gear 2 added no benefit and didn't provide any increased functionality due to the fact that it didn't offer anything "special" and didn't provide any extra functionality that couldn't be found on a typical smartphone. Various news articles blatantly state that buying a Gear 2 was a huge waste money.

I took these articles like a grain of salt. I saw the arguments mostly as opinions than anything else, I wanted to test it for myself and make up my own mind, and that's exactly what I did.

At first use, it was really easy to notice the key benefit of the Gear 2, the fact that it's an incredible time saver. Smartphones are not very when you're on the go, because they aren't generally something you can just glance at without diverting your attention entirely towards it temporarily. If this is at work, smartphone use negatively affects your productivity. If this is while driving, smartphones are unsafe and illegal because they take attention completely off the road.

For me, increase in time efficiency is the most important and obvious benefit offered by using the Gear 2. Unlike others, I don't care that the Gear 2 replicates smartphone functionality because of the aforementioned benefit. That doesn't make it any less of a useful device. What makes the Gear 2 useful is the fact that information that would have taken me 20 to 30 seconds to access on my smartphone can be accessed in just a couple seconds on the Gear 2 with a simple tilt of the wrist, swipe and tap. The Gear 2 clearly me saves time and effort, and it's shown me that it's an extremely handy device that has incredible potential.

Anyways...enough of me defending the Gear 2, that's not the purpose of reviews.

I've gotten in the habit of wearing the Gear 2 almost 24/7. I even keep it on while going to bed since it has so many uses. Just as a series of examples, right before bed, the Gear 2 allows me to: start tracking my sleep time, to set alarms for next morning just by speaking, check my appointments and calendar for tomorrow as well as the weather forecast, and replace the need to track down the TV remote control when I want to watch a late-night show right before bed.

Looking back, I can see that the Gear 2 has helped keep me on track, focused, and organized since I started using it. You've got to push yourself to improve though, you can't expect improvement otherwise. However, the Gear 2 seems like a Swiss Army knife in the form of a tech gadget. There are just so many features and so much beneficial functionality included just via the default Samsung apps, and these apps completely fulfilled my expectations and personally justify the expense.

Now, for the negative remark of my review, and as to why I took off a star.

Although Samsung provides excellent built-in apps, I'm sure there is a huge potential for development of even better, more beneficial apps. The possibilities are endless for user-developed apps. Unfortunately however, the major downside right now is that user-submitted apps are pretty much non-existent in the Gear 2 market. The reason for this is that the Tizen OS, which the Gear 2 runs on, has still been left largely unembraced and unsurpassed by most mobile app devs. This whole situation is upsetting since the lack of apps for the Gear 2 takes away from the device's potential and its ability for users to customize the app to fit their needs most closely. I honestly didn't expect the app store to literally have less than total 15 apps in the entire market, none of which are really any good at all. That's not the quality that I expected from Samsung. It seems like Samsung dropped the ball by not succeeding in stimulating the early adoption of Tizen by developers.

Although I feel the lack of apps is a mistake on Samsung's part that could maybe have been avoided by better planning, being knowledgeable about the Tizen situation I'm also sympathetic because it makes sense to me why there are almost no apps developed. The Gear 2 line of devices are essentially Samsung's first mainstream products to make use of their Tizen OS. Not many people have experience with how the OS works yet and people are just starting to become more acquainted with development for Tizen. In time, I don't have much doubt that developers will embrace Tizen, because where there's money to be made, they will come.

However, as someone who purchased a Gear 2 so early on, it's unfortunate that people like me need to wait, who knows how long, in order for the atmosphere to improve for Tizen.

Although it's not a deal breaker for me, for others who consider the current lack of user-made apps a much greater issue, I can see why they wouldn't be able to justify the expense until they start to see a community thriving around Gear 2 development.

Some further negatives that I feel are noteworthy for prospective buyers:

- The Gear 2 frame that covers the front face of the watch is aluminum, but the bottom half of the watch is actually a black plastic cover. Based on a description, I had expected that the entire watch exterior would be made of aluminum and I was disappointed when I saw the plastic bottom as it is more easily damaged.

- The Gear 2 expects to be firmly and statically strapped to your wrist, otherwise while operating the touchscreen by swiping fingers, you'll make the watch perform loops around your wrist, which starts getting annoying pretty quickly.

- The IR sensor's location being in the front-middle is slightly awkward to aim at the TV. It's something about having to tilt my wrist and tap on the screen with the other hand that just feels uncomfortable. It takes getting used to. In Samsung's defense I can't really think of a better place to put it to make it universally compatible with however a person enjoys wearing their watch. Same with the camera.

- Flicking left and right can sometimes be noticeably laggy. I expected better performance from the 1.0ghz dual core processor/512MB RAM and didn't expect to see basic swiping animations lag so noticeably. I suppose I'm so used to my smartphone operating seamlessly without any slow-downs or lag, that I was not used to the slower animations on the Gear 2 hardware. Note that although there is noticeable lag, it barely impacts usability in any way at all.

As a final note, nothing is ever 100% perfect, and there's always room for improvement.
For the current state I'm very satisfied with the progress Samsung has made with its Gear smartwatch line of products. The Gear 2 is well worth the money and I highly recommend it due to its elegant aesthetics, faster hardware, and software which offers useful features with an easy to follow and very functional user interface.

I'll continue to update my review if there's anything important to mention in the future that people should know, either positive or negative. Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts, I welcome any questions or comments based on what I said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Turns Out This Thing is Actually Useful, April 28, 2014
T.C. (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
As soon as I heard that this watch could relay notifications from my phone to my wrist, I was interested. Admittedly, I was somewhat ignorant in the details of Bluetooth. In my defense, I rarely used Bluetooth before! While I knew Bluetooth had a range, I didn't know that there was a class 1 and class 2 (which most mobile devices are). While I was originally excited about the 50-100m range or so of distance that I thought Bluetooth offered...that's only class 1 devices. My ignorance showed there, but maybe I can shatter the hopes and dreams of someone else who has unrealistic expectations. This watch and my Galaxy Note 2 talk together until around 30 feet. Beyond 30 feet, the watch is on its own.

All in all, I'm very happy with this watch! It's not too bulky on my wrist, it's light and sleek looking (though it does remind me of those old casio calculator watches, only much sexier). It faithfully tells me when I have email and texts, which is the main reason I bought it. You can read the entire email or text on the watch, and if I want to type a reply, I can press "show on device" and it automatically brings it up on my phone. I've also had a few geek moments where I've talked on the phone via my watch, which never fails to result in eye rolling by my girlfriend. But, call quality is actually pretty good, if you don't mind everyone hearing your conversation (could also use a headset which I no longer have). You can also dictate text to your watch using S voice, which can be stunningly accurate sometimes and hilariously hopeless other times... depends on other ambient noises.

The gesture to turn on the watch display (raising your wrist and turning it toward you) is surprisingly accurate, though there are times where it will turn on pointlessly. I wish it was a BIT faster in this, but it's only a second delay. I've drummed with this watch on, and it didn't combust..always a good sign too.

One of my favorites features though is the security option. Basically, it will lock your phone automatically (with a pattern, I wish it could be a PIN instead) when the watch gets more than 3 feet away. When the watch is nearby, all you have to do is swipe the phone screen like normal to get in. This is handy for me as I use my Note II as a music player in the car. If I want to change songs, rather than unlocking my screen while driving (bad idea. Don't do it or I slap you metaphorically), the screen is automatically unlocked. The only way I could see this biting someone is if, God forbid, they get the watch AND phone stolen at the same time. Be careful, and have some anti-theft software on your phone.

Let's see what else.. the battery is good. At the end of the day I'm usually left with 60% left (I suspect the security option drains a bit faster), but I charge it anyway overnight. I did notice a bit of a hit on my phone battery life, but it still easily lasts the day for me with room to spare. Love the Note series for that.
The heart rate monitor I've used maybe 4 times, and it stayed within 6 beats average of all the readings. Not too bad. The pedometer just pops up and lets me know excitedly when I've supposedly walked 5000 steps (I'm a video editor. It is monumental when that happens). I have no clue how accurate that is.

The camera is surprisingly good. Can set it up to take 1080p still pictures, or 15 seconds of 720p video. Pictures are automatically synced with your phone. Hurrah. Pictures are sharp, not overly saturated, won't win any awards in low light. Shutter is pretty fast...You can NOT turn off the shutter sound that I've found. Blah blah.

Good stuff! A great, if a bit expensive, entry into the new wearable tech world. The major downside to me is the sad amount of apps available, but, the built in features are the reason I bought this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot more than I expected, May 11, 2014
I was hesitant about buying this watch after all the mediocre reviews it got from tech websites, but decided to give it a show.

Out of the box, this is a beautiful watch, with a modern design, it looks and feels great around my wrist.

Setting it up is very easy. Simply download Gear Manager on your Samsung smartphone, pair it and it's ready to go. Then you select which apps you want to receive notifications from (you can select any app you want). You can also customize the watch face, font, background image, ringtone, screen brightness and timeout.

It comes pre loaded with the following apps:

-Camera

You can take pictures or videos using the built in 2 MP camera. Images get instantly transferred to your phone. Quality is great for such a tiny device. Great for when you need a camera quickly without having to get your phone out of your pocket and unlock it.

-Contacts

-Controls (battery level, volume/vibrate, brightness)

Accessible via a the controls icon or two finger double tap anytime.

-Dialer (phone dialer)

Allows you to dial a number and call it.

-Exercise (running, walking, hiking, cycling)

Great feature that uses the pedometer and GPS on your phone for tracking your exercise. It also measures your heart rate continuously while activated.

-Find my device (makes your phone ring so you can find it)

-Gallery

-Heart Rate

Checks your heart rate. It's a great idea, but sometimes it doesn't work because my arm is too hairy and I sweat a lot.

-Logs (call logs)

-Media Controller (controls music being played on your phone)

Great for when I want to skip a track but don't have my phone in my hand.

-Messages

-Media Player

Load music in your watch, pair it with a bluetooth headset and go for a run without taking your phone with you.

-Notifications

Shows all notifications

-Pedometer

Set a daily goal and it will keep track of your steps

-S Voice

Use voice commands to control your watch/phone

-Schedule
-Settings
-Stopwatch
-Timer
-Voice Memo
-WatchOn Remote

Great for when you don't know where your tv remote is

-Weather

-Sleep (monitors your sleep)

This watch is loaded with features. It is so nice to get your notifications on your wrist and not have to pull your phone out of your pocket every 5 minutes and turn the screen on to check them.

Making calls with it is awesome. I use that a lot. Much better than having a bluetooth earpice.

Battery life is surprisingly good. It takes me 3 days of heavy use to go through it.

This is a a great device which will make your life a lot easier.

I used this with my Galaxy S 5. I've had this watch for over 10 days now and it has been paired all the time and it never dropped the connection a single time. It also never froze, glitched up nor rebooted itself. Interface is snappy.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice add-on to a Samsung phone, July 5, 2014
TFP (Philadelphia area) - See all my reviews
Buying a smart watch was something of an impulse. I didn't give it much forethought or do much research prior to the purchase. I recently upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy S5 and so the Samsung Gear 2 seemed like a good add-on.

Perhaps because my expectations were non-existent, but I am quite satisfied with the phone. It's attractive, comfortable to wear and does what I would expect it to. I see a lot of complaints about a lack of apps and while that may be true, I can't imagine what else I would want this watch to do. I'm not likely to type a Word doc or play Farmville on a 1.63" screen. I didn't imagine the watch would be anything more than a (fairly minor) accessory to my phone. Time and date (naturally), weather, email, text & phone notifications, reminders, (add on) calculator, pedometer and heart monitor were my expectations; the camera and music player were nice bonuses.

I am satisfied with the battery life; I seem to get about three days out of a full charge. Charging the watch is also quite fast.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the best smartwatch in the market right now, May 3, 2014
J. Lien (Newport Beach, CA) - See all my reviews
This is the best smartwatch in the market right now. The hardware and software are superb. I bought this watch a week ago from my local AT&T store. Previous to getting the Gear 2, I owned the Gear 1 for over 4 months. Here is a rundown of the pros and cons:

Pros:

1. I like that the camera and speaker is now located on the watch itself
2. The button is now in the front instead of on the right side
3. Improved software such as the ability to organize your apps and a homepage
4. The ability to replace the strap
5. Longer battery life
6. Water and dust resistant
7. Slightly better speaker quality

Cons:

1. Vibrate is not strong enough
2. The wake-up feature to turn the watch on automatically is too sensitive
3. I wish there was a way to silence the camera sound
4. The cheap strap that comes with this watch. I ended up replacing it with a stainless steel strap that looks more elegant.
5. Camera picture a bit grainy

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung got it right!!, May 3, 2014
I've just retired my Gear and finished tweaking my Gear 2 and all I can say is nice job, Samsung, you got it right. Love it. This time I went with the gold on brown and it truly looks rich, but its look it surpassed by the fine attention to detail in making it a technology leader. You won't find a finer value for the price. My Rolex will stay retired for some time to come.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not happy with Samsung Warranty "support" $$$$, July 11, 2014
Samsung warranty policy needs to be shared. After charging this watch approximately 12 times (purchased in April 2014 but not used until mid May) a tiny piece of plastic has broken off the edge of the back of the watch. This has made it impossible to charge the watch without resorting to tape or rubber bands to hold the charger in place.
Samsung's warranty policy requires that you provide them with a credit card number prior to sending the watch in for service. A $92.00 hold will be placed on your credit card while Samsung determine if the watch will be repaired under warranty. A Samsung technician makes this determination.
Having a customer's credit card information with a hold placed on funds AND having the customer's watch which is supposedly under warranty seems very unfair to the customer.
It's my opinion that the area that has broken is a design fault and a very weak spot. Having the successful attachment of the charger depend upon a knife-edged piece of thin plastic is just stupid. A small notch with a lip over it provided by the back cover of the watch which is made of thin plastic was bound to cause problems. I think that there will be many of these suffering from this problem.
Even if not under warranty for whatever reason a $92.00 charge (plus shipping?) is ridiculous. It's approaching 30% of the price of the item!
Note that Samsung will not sell parts - the back of the watch is a separate piece that could easily be replaced by a local watchmaker or anybody with a small screwdriver. I know, void the warranty and Samsung couldn't test the water resistance but, mostly, they want to be able to charge the $92 service charge as often as they can!
So far their customer service has been less than stellar - they fall back on "because that's our policy" and "do you have any other questions". Great job Samsung! NOT.
I'll update this if and when Samsung show their willingness to repair the watch under warranty. Currently own 9 devices from Samsung between smartphones, tablets and this watch but customer loyalty depends on fairness so we'll see.

Rate and Discover Movies