5.0 out of 5 stars Its not a smartphone but it is a good phone
Published on September 29, 2010 by T. Hudson

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone
Published on June 25, 2010 by Scott Shepard

5.0 out of 5 stars Its not a smartphone but it is a good phone, September 29, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Gravity T t669 Phone, Steel (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I just became a T-Mobile customer. The first phone i had was the Samsung Gravity 3 but traded it in for this phone, before the 14 days. I like this phone alot but i do agree that the touch screen is too touch sensitive (is that right?), but i have gotten use to it and figured how to get past everything. Some of the bad reviews on here are awful, you cannot compare this phone to a smartphone because for one, these are different phones. The samsung gravity T is NOT a smartphone it is a messaging phone made to look like a smartphone. This is for those who want the smartphone look but don't want to pay expensive fees just to get a smartphone. I do not want to pay $70+ for a data plan getting a smart phone when i do not want to use the internet on the phone. I like the features a smartphone offers but do not want to get a data plan (req. in most plans) just to get the phone, that is why phones like this are made. If you want the features of a smartphone then get a smartphone. The other thing is many of these functions can be turned off, such as the Auto-Lock on the phone. Just go to settings in the phone and they have it where the settings can be turned off. This phone is pretty good for the price in my opinion, especially $10/mo. You can't beat that. I just think this phone should be given a chance, get use to it like i did. Its pretty simple really. Oh, and since it did not come with a usb cable, buying one from ebay would be A LOT cheaper than buying one from T-Mobile in my opinion.

I think the camera is pretty good for it to be 2 mega pixels even the video. Also, the web on the phone is pretty slow but i don't use it as much so it does not bother me. The one thing i dislike is i can't delete any apps and trial games that are on this phone. They are useless and it would be nice to be able to delete the stuff that takes up space.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, June 25, 2010
I got the phone yesterday. At first I was unsure how I felt about this phone. On the one hand it looks great, but I having trouble deciding if I really liked it. After a full 24 hours with the phone I love it. It takes some time to get used to all the different functions, but what new phone doesn't have a learning curve? The curve was easy and within a few short hours I was texting, calling and checking my Facebook status along with a number of other favorite websites.

For the price it is a great deal. I had always wanted a blackberry, but was turned off by having to purchase a data plan from T-Mobile, with this phone I can get the data plan for only 10 dollars a month, and they gave me the first 30 days free to see if I like the web features enough to keep them. Certainly I do at that price. I would recommend this phone to anyone in the market.

ONE YEAR LATER

I have now had this phone a little over a year. Actually I have had two of these phones. It appears that they are only good for about six months. The first one crapped out on mean right around the six month mark. It would just randomly turn off without cause. TMobile replace it and now just abour 6 months into the second one problems are again arising. I am constantly having to reset the phone to get service, the touch screen seems to be stuck more often that not and the internet has slowed to a crawl. Look elsewhere for a new phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars You will run out of swear words using this phone, March 5, 2011
Possibly a lot of the positive reviews for this terrible phone are from cell phone users that have not owned a phone that works well and is designed properly.
I will not go into a long ramble, but the touch screen on this device is really terrible. One example is just scrolling through the contact list. You will be scrolling, getting close to the one you want, and all of a sudden the list starts scrolling fast, out of control. Another annoyance is the screen lock. Before I purchased a bluetooth, I liked to use the speaker phone, and since the screen locks quickly, you have to (after getting the call), unlock the phone with a side button, then hit the "keypad" button, then hit the "speaker" button! What a royal pain. Also, the phone is slick like a bar of soap, and if you have to use one hand and push the buttons on the bottom row, the thing can easily end up on the ground.
The worse part of this crappy attempt at a touch screen is that fact that sometimes you will push a function on the screen, and it beeps to let you know you pushed the button, but it does not activate the command. This is a common occurrence on this "cracker jack" device.
FYI, I took it in for a replacement which functions exactly the same. Save yourself some aggravation and stay clear of this phone. I have owned numerous cell phones that worked well... this is not one of them by any means.

2.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy This Phone, December 29, 2010
PRdame (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
I am now on my 3rd Samsung Gravity T. The first one froze and wouldn't do anything even after a master reboot, the ringer and speaker gave out on the second one and now this third one is freezing up too. All of these issues happened after only a couple of weeks of having each phone. I rarely make calls and never drop or abuse my phones in any way. Needless to say taht I hate that I dislike this phone but am stuck with it for a while until I can afford to upgrade.

I initially purchased this phone for the slide keyboard and the fact that the data plan is only $10 per month. I agree with almost everything all of the other reviewers have said.

- The touch screen intuitiveness is inconsistent and very slow. You end up pressing something a couple of times and then find that it takes you somewhere else or it only moves the icon around the screen.

- The memory on it is junk. I find that I can't keep more than a few texts in the inbox before it tells me that I have to delete msgs. Tmobile keeps asking if I have pictures stored on the phone and I don't for this same reason. I haven't purchased a memory card and won't as I don't intend to keep the phone for a long time.

- The screen has a lot of glare even with a screen protector. Don't even try to look at it out in the sun.

- The keyboard is ok. I wish the buttons were rubberized and raised a bit more.

- There is no external light to indicate when the phone is charging, done charging or to alert if you have a voice/txt message.

- The internet is slow and you can't see many sites.

- You can zoom in and out to better see pages which is a good thing, but it's sometimes activated when you don't want to if you simply tap on the screen.

- My biggest issues with the phone are the inconsistent tap sensitivity and the freezing. I really want to like this phone, but I can't given all of my issues.

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh... it'll pass, July 24, 2010
V. Do (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
I've had this phone for about a week, and its a pretty cool phone, however in the attempt to be a "smart" phone I think its too smart for its own good and the execution becomes quite cumbersome. Like many of the other reviews, I had similar problems with the phone. I will provide three different examples:

1. The touch screen is too sensitive and makes it difficult to navigate the phone. For example, scrolling my contact list, it would either over shoot and scroll up/down too much, or if I slowed down, it would open one my contacts, instead of scrolling. Here, the iPhone and myTouch are vastly superior.

2. Phone makers should make every phone as hands-free ready as possible. Unfortunately, for the t669, after making a call, you have to unlock the phone by pushing and holding down the unlock button, then chose the option for speaker. Or, you have to first slide the phone open (thus unlocking it), find your contact, make the call, and then touch screen the option for speaker. Again, here the iPhone is superior because there is only one step between making a call and putting it on speaker.

3. There are three screens available for apps and such. However navigating through the screens can be annoying when apps keep opening up while you are trying to jump from one screen to the next, or vice versa. On a side note, I put a post-it note reminder on my screen, and still haven't found a way to remove it.

Not everything is all bad however. Once you can get around to it, the speaker phone is great. Its loud, clear, and the other party can hear you quite well. The qwerty keypad is a bit small, but is responsive and user friendly. A neat feature of the phone is its "smart unlock guide." You simply motion a "C" on the touch screen for contacts, "M" for messaging, etc.

I would rate this phone as mediocre overall. Compared to regular cell phones, its a bit too complicated, however, stacked up against other smart phones like iPhone, Androids, and myTouch, etc, it falls rather short.

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent phone but HORRIBLE screen, December 18, 2010
J.K. "Kreegs" (Indiana, United States) - See all my reviews
It has a lot of features for a non-smartphone but there are some glaring issues.

Negatives
1) The touch screen is not very responsive. It often misinterprets what I am trying to access when touching the screen. Scrolling through menus is a pain using the touchscreen as well. Never know which way the screen will go when trying to scroll.

2) Another issue with the screen is that it scratches way too easy. I had the phone in my pocket once with 1 key in the same pocket for a couple hours and it caused numerous surface scratches on the screen. I've done the same to an ipod touch more often and with more keys and no scratches on it so the screen on this phone is definitely lacking when it comes to being scratch resistant.

3) Screen is nearly impossible to see outside during the day

4) Internet is so slow it's beyond useless

5) Doesn't utilize the micro sd card very well. I put a 8 GB microsd card in there and getting tons of memory full messages even when the card is nearly empty. Also, won't let you remove the crapware on there to free up space, such as the game demos

Positives
1) Can check email but tmobile changed the lowest setting on checking for new emails to 30 minutes. One of the few non-smartphones that I know of that can sync with exchange servers for email. Fortunately you can set the sync interval to 1 minute
2) Nice keyboard for texting and email

Decent phone as long as all you want to do is email, text and make phone calls. Just make sure you are careful with the screen, never plan on using it outside, and extremely patient with the crappy touchscreen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice attempt at a entry level touch screen phone, June 23, 2010
I have had this phone for 5 days. I don't have data enabled so I cannot comment on that.
The Good
-Screen is clear. I'm sure the resolution is printed but I think you get what is advertised.
-The camera is listed as 2 MP. I think the picture quality is just fine for a cell phone.
-Videos adequate for what I want, which is very little. Frame rate seems smooth and as with picture mode there is are a few editing options included.
-The sound quality is reasonable.
-Bluetooth worked well for me and was simple to set up.
-Music functions require USB headphone as near as I can tell. Not mentioned in the manual.
-Good volume and vibration options. Variety of settings.
-Voice recognition mode helps negate some of THE BAD below because you say "CALL JOHN DOE MOBILE" instead of having to navigate the menus on the phone. Great for driving.

Note: it is easier for me to focus on THE BAD because these things stand out.

The Bad
-The touch screen sensitivity cannot make up it's mind if it's sensitive or not sensitive. Often I when I want to scroll I end up selecting a icon on the screen. When I want to select an icon I end up scrolling. The problem appears to be that when I select an icon on the screen, removing my finger from the screen creates just enough friction that the phone thinks I want to scroll. To select an icon you must remove your finger. You cannot just press an icon on the screen to have select it (in some menus like contacts). This is really annoying in the contacts list. I end up using the arrow keys on the slider keyboard a lot. Note: I have tried calibration and I have average sized fingers.
-The speed of the processor isn't that great. Sometimes the phone gets a little hung up "thinking" even when you just select menus in the phone. It's not too common, but it happens.
-When texting multiple people, the check marks by the names do not always update when you select a contact to message. You feel the phone vibrate indicating a name was selected, but a check mark does NOT appear after about 7 names. This is just a software bug. So you have to look at another menu to see the full list of names after typing the text. Or create a groups list.
-When sending texts you cannot always easily see to whom the text is going to or to how many people while writing the text if you choose CONTACTS first and then write the text. Don't put MOM and Mary, your girlfriend, close together in your contacts list. It requires going to another menu or saving the message as a draft if you want to be absolutely sure your message is going to the right person. However, one can type the text and THEN choose to whom to send the text in order to see the list of people to which the text is going to be sent. Also, when selecting names you can, for example, type "J" to skip to john and avoid a lot of scrolling.
-Some of the icons in the main menu or widgets cannot be removed. For example, I don't have the data plan but the web browser icon cannot be removed from the menu or the widget menu.
-You can move all of the icons in the 3 main menu screens, but it is a right pain to swap the "unremoveable" icons around from one menu screen to another. Most icons can be moved easily, but about 5-7 take serious patience if you want to move the WEB icon from the first page to the second page.
-The screen size isn't as big as some of the larger touchscreens. Therefore not too many icons, lines of text, or buttons can be on the screen at once. For example, you can see 2 contacts on the screen when the phone is horizontal and 3 when it is vertical. The smaller screen size coupled with the touch screen sensitivity issues have resulted in a few expletives. I think the smaller screen size is why there are 3 main menu screens that can be scrolled through with a simple swipe of the finger.
-The printed manual for this phone is just about useless. Most things can be figured out, but the information you want, like what some of the symbols at the top of the screen mean, is missing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Atrocious! Beware!, May 26, 2011
I own this phone since October 2010. I so regret I bought this. It's not such a nice phone to begin with, and then T-mobile turned it into an absolute piece of crap. I wish I could give it zero stars.

Do you know that you will not be able to install any single app on that junk? Only the pre-installed apps that it came with from T-mobile - you gonna be stuck with those. Do I need to tell you that apps that are installed here are THE utter crap? No good browser, no planners, no calorie counter apps, no .. whatever else you might have wanted - forget all that. You can download the app and run it but the internet connection is blocked for anything that wasn't pre-installed.

This information is not on T-mobile website and I spent over two hours on the phone being transferred from one tech support 'specialist' to the other before I got it. It's also not in here and presumably you have the right to know what you are getting.

Having said that, I have to point out obvious flaws of that phone, like crazy scrolling that feels like playing slot machines and sluggish response to typing.

It is not worth your time and money. There is nothing here that you would want.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great EXTREMELY DURABLE phone with a few glitches and LIMITED MEMORY, December 13, 2013
Now I've seen a lot of BAD reviews on this phone and although I agree with most of the things people dislike about this phone, if one just took the time, you could find a way around most of those "problems". I will list the GOOD and BAD on this phone:

GOOD
1. This phone is DURABLE. I have had this phone for almost 4 years. I've sat on it, my son had jumped on it, I've dropped it a million and one times from my ear and above my head, 5 ft plus in the air, dropped it down a flight of stairs, onto hard tile floors, thrown it across the room, my son has spilled soda on it, it got rained on while inside my back pocket, you name it, it's been through it. And it still works. The screen is so scratched and yet the screen works and responds without any problems I have had with ALL of my Androids and I-phones. One scratch on those and the phone is useless. Drop an I-phone from 12 inches from the floor and it cracks all over. Even if an I-phone doesn't get cracked, it won't last a year.
This is one DURABLE phone and I got it for FREE when I signed my contract. How ironic huh? Spend a buttload of money for a not-so-smart smartphone and it lasts less than a week. Get a phone for free and it lasts forever...

2. It has a pretty decent camera.
3. The speaker is clear.

4. You can set 10 alarms on the phone and they are VERY customizable. Unlike other phones that only let you set 1 or 3 alarms and only let you set for every weekday or every weekend, with this phone I can set a 5:30 am alarm for every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, a 7 am alarm for Tuesday and Thursday, a 10 am alarm for Saturday and Sunday, an 11 am alarm for Tuesday and Wednesday, a 4 pm alarm for Monday through Friday and a 6 pm alarm for just one time on Sunday. Unlike other phones which give you a limited selection of alarm tones, I had my sister text me some song clips I liked, or I recorded and saved a soundbyte I liked, or I downloaded and saved a ringtone I liked and I can use any of those for an alarm (or a ringtone or a text-tone). Some people might find that I like this stupid, but I find it highly irritating that on other phones will not let me customize my alarms and ringtones like this, at least not without dishing out extra $$$.

5. Good battery life. When I got this phone new, I would charge it an hour and it would last 3-5 days. Now I have had this phone for almost 4 years and now the battery is barely starting to give a problem. I have to charge it everyday. When I had my I-phone I had to charge it an hour everyday to every other day when it was new and within 3 months I was having to charged it up to 3 times a day.

6. Many of the things people are complaining about about the the screen sensitivity and unlocking and making calls and using speakerphones and touchpad, etc., are merely items most of which require editing preferences or settings. You can turn the auto-lock function off or edit it to unlock a different way. I used to have to go through a series of motions to make a call. I edited my settings and because I don't want to accidentally make a call or send a text I still have auto-lock on but all I have to do is slide the keypad, tell the phone "call so-and-so" and push the speakerphone button. It takes less than ten seconds, but I guess some people are just lazy and impatient. Until just recently I never had a problem with the touch screen or scrolling, but I have severely scratched the screen and although it works just fine most of the time, it sometimes can be a bit temperamental. Now I just scroll down quickly using the down volume button and use my finger on the touchscreen to stop the page from moving and select. This phone, just like another other phone (or computer, tablet, i-pad, etc.) does take some getting used to and effort in finding out how it works. It has a nice smart unlock screen that can get you to contacts, messaging, browser, voicemail or main screen quickly and effortlessly. If the screen gets all messed up and doesn't respond so well to touch anymore, you can still use the sliding keyboard to navigate all through the phone. This is something that I could not do with my I-phone.

I like this phone for durability, reliability and "customizability" of the alarms, sound profiles and ringtones along with other aspects of the phone, great speaker performance and decent camera and separate qwerty keypad . I have owned many phones but none have stood up to the abuse that this phone has been through and lived to tell about it. Now I will go into what I dislike about this phone.

BAD

1. This phone's memory SUCKS. This is the biggest advantage my I-phone had over this phone. Yes, there are many pre-installed useless apps on this phone that you cannot delete. You are stuck with them and they will use up precious disk space that I'm sure you would rather use for something else. If you take a lot of pictures, videos, music on your phone, you will find yourself constantly deleted messages and or deleting or transferring you media to your computer, etc. This is my only real problem with this phone. If it weren't for this one crucial aspect, I really would not have a complaint and I would be giving it 4 or maybe even 5 stars.

2. This phone does not have good internet capabilities. Again this is NOT a smartphone and I knew that when I chose this phone when signing up for my plan. It costs extra to add the internet and that would just be a waste of money because it loads so slow and does not have the internet functionality of an android or I-phone. Although I would like the ability to check emails, etc. from my phone, I don't do it that often and don't really need it, so this is not really an issue for me.

3. Screen and touch pad glitches. The touch screen CAN be a bit temperamental and had very low visibility when out in the sunlight. This phone's screen does get little getting used to just like any other phone. It DOES have a habit or scrolling too quickly and scrolling right over what you are trying to click. It also may click on something that you are trying to scroll over. It also sometimes has a brain-fart or something and takes a few seconds to respond to whatever it is that you are trying to get it to do. So yes, that can be quite annoying but again I've had this same problem with all my phones including my "not-so-smart" phones. I've never had too much problem with the touch screen as some other people apparently, until just recently but that is do to years of dropping and scratching up the screen. I don't have problem with adapting to how my phone functions, but some people really want their phones to adapt to them. But then again, this is NOT a smart-phone.

I gave this phone 3 stars because while there is very limited memory and internet and some issues with the screen, it still is EXTREMELY DURABLE and has lasted me a long time and after all I (and my son) have put it through for 4 years, it still works great! If you need durability and dependability for a low price (or even free) this is a good choice if you don't mind sacrificing media memory. If you NEED internet and lots of memory for pics and vids and songs and email and online shopping, etc., get a smartphone but put insurance on it because you'll be needing it the first time you drop it sitting at a table or desk onto a the desk/table/carpet.

2.0 out of 5 stars Phone Issues / Problems, September 28, 2013
Okay here you go: The most detailed critical review of the Samsung Gravity T t669 phone on the internet. I will write it with bullet points so you don't feel as if you're reading a book, but secretly you will indeed get a short book.

-Since a lot of the menus and buttons to use this phone are on the touch screen the whole touch screen goes bananas if I spill one tiny droplet of water on it. I mean, sink spray, rain, pocket sweat, you name it. You now can no longer unlock the phone from the screen, hitting any button has no response or it does a different function completely (ex: sliding the screen)

-If the text message inbox fills up then this phone tells me this - as in it wants me to delete some a.s.a.p. - before I continue doing anything. So it pops up an alert letting me know. If I ignore it then it pops up again and again every minute. So when I'm trying to delete said messages it reminds me again in the middle of choosing which messages to keep or delete, interrupting me and not only making me check a box next to a message I wanted to keep, but also clearing my checked boxes up to that point.

-The touch screen is the most unreliable part of this touch screen phone. It doesn't respond like an iPhone, or barely responds correctly at all. *Unlock *Unlock, "Oh! That's right! I gotta get the right angle and hold it!" *Unlock. "Oops! I lost it!" *Unlock *Unlock *Unlock *Open. Finally.

-When I want to hit the button to check my text messages the "web" button gets in the way. Which is annoying not only to people without an internet plan, but people who WANT TO CHECK THEIR MESSAGES!

-This phone doesn't have a very good camera, it's only 2 megapixels and it can't even zoom in if I'm on the "best" quality.

-Deleting pictures is annoying as ever if I try to delete one by one. I hit the picture itself to get the options bar, and for some reason it goes away. Hit for the bar, goes away, bar, *stays* scroll to the delete option and again it goes away. I repeat this process over and over and finally I kill myself- I mean I get lucky enough that it is locked on screen because of the "sure you want to delete?" notification popping up.

-The creators made the photos slide on their own for some reason - on their own. As in, "Oh this is a nice photo!" then it slides over five photos showing possibly private or bad pics. So it's like really? Who put that feature in and why? Why did they make it so I can't turn it off? It's annoying, even trying to send or delete one and it slides away and goes and goes until I'm 100 pics away and have to back all the way out restarting at the menu.

-In the pictures' menu option there is a button called "Send to My Album" which gets in the way all the time, since some designer put it at the top. This then sends a photo I didn't intend to be sent to some online album that I never signed up for or am ever going to use.

-The rubber case I can buy to "protect" this phone comes in two pieces but I only use the back part instead of both sides. Mostly because with the top half on, the top row of keys are covered so I can't text. Grrrrreat design -phone and cover. Also said top part doesn't even have a screen cover (scratches) making the whole thing just for drop damage I guess.

-Also another bad thing on the rubber case is that the little tabs that keep it snapped to your phone wear out letting in dirt, making it fall off all the time.

-The menus aren't big enough to be able to control; the "floating" buttons/apps on screen don't stay where I want them and are hard to place and move them anyways.

-After powering it up and finally showing the regular home screen I shouldn't have to then wait even longer to look at MY messages. They're already on my phone, I've seen them before. It shouldn't have to connect to the service to show me things that should be there right then.

- Another annoyance, as usual, it forbids me to delete the pre-stored ringtones, wallpapers, and games/apps that have either are dumb that will never be used, or are just trials that want to pay for them. It would save a lot of space getting rid of this garbage.

-Speaking of hitting things many times before getting a good response, I have to use the exact pressure, have the exact angle and hit the screen at the exact place 100 times before the alert "picture delivered" goes away. This by far is one of the most annoying problems.

-In the calls menu when I choose to delete all phone calls but one (an important one or two) it always deletes just that one and leaves the rest. This is usually the point where I punt my phone off of a highway overpass.

-When trying to send a message to ten people (the max amount) it forgets its own count, and stops check marking before I reach 10 recipients and telling me that it cannot add anymore. Then back and the ready to send menu it gets confused and has some of the names I chose twice and some not even there.

Now in its old age, either 2 or 3 years old, it wasn't turning off after locking - wasting battery. Then recently it locks and unlocks repeatedly, making me have to rip out the battery to reset it to even use it. It doesn't help that the unlock button no longer works, as well as a number of letter keys. It also likes to jump to random places in a text message and continue my message typing into other words and sentences. And with space, and backspace being among the keys that don't work, it begs me to end its life by sledgehammer.

If you like frosted flakes, noticed the Anchorman reference, hate this phone, are looking to buy a new phone, liked that I compiled this information over years to then post it to many sites about an old phone that no one cares about anyway, then thumb this up to help others.

-Patback

P.S. Samsung, do me a favor, read this, and then don't repeat your mistakes.

ARRAY(0x9f5a5af8)

Samsung Gravity T t669 Phone, Steel (T-Mobile)
Click for more info
Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available.