I was contemplating between HD camcorders, iPod Touch 4th Gen, Digital Cameras with video recording and this and am happy I chose the Samsung HMX-E10 to complement my Canon Digital Rebel XTi and SX210 digital cameras for great 1080p image stabilized video with easy to use UI and good design on the USB and mini-HDMI-ports.

Video quality is great but not flawless...
Published on October 26, 2010 by kaffeinekratos

3.0 out of 5 stars Looked Good Until
Published on May 21, 2011 by d

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy that I upgraded from Flip to this for 1080p video, image stabilizer and mini-HDMI output, October 26, 2010

Video quality is great but not flawless as there's a tiny lag on videos with fast full frame movement but it's not as bad as with the Flip cams. The touch screen is great but isn't sensitive enough for my quick button presses - this is really evident on using the start/stop button for the video which require around 800ms button press.

The screen doesn't seem to scratch easy - I've had it in my pocket with keys and coins for days now and can't see a single scratch. The swivel lens is a good idea but doesn't get used that often - probably ideal for blogging type videos.

Overall - very happy with the results. Have been using this to capture every move of our baby and share the videos via Picasaweb to grandparents overseas. The included intelli-studio sync software doesn't support Picasa out of the box but can be customized and has support for Flickr, facebook and Youtube uploads.

Very happy with the product - hopefully Samsung will refine the touch screen software for faster response. Very competitive and aggressively priced pocket camcorder.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Cool Camera, December 1, 2010
This review is from: Samsung HMX-E10 1080P Pocket Camcorder with 270-Degree Swivel Lens (Black) (Electronics)
I've tried several pocket HD camcorders over the past year or so: Creative Vado (3rd Gen), Kodak Zi8 and the Panasonic TA-1. I recently got my hands on the Samsung HMX E-10, however, and I think I've found a keeper. I'll just get right to the point and break down what I think about it:

__________________
The Good:

** Solid low-light performance: I'm no video expert, so I can't give you a bunch of jargon. All I can say is that, with my other pocket cameras, I could barely make out some of the stuff that I recorded at night. With this one, however, everything's pretty clear. Ironically, the TA-1 has an actual light on it, but in my opinion, the E-10 blew it out of the water in a side-by-side test I did. That said, don't sleep on this little guy.

** It's gorgeous: I typically don't care much about looks, but this camera is pretty sexy (even better in person). It looks more like the latest smartphone than a video camera. I think kids especially will love the design of this camera.

** Fairly noise-free audio: Not an audio expert either when it comes to these things, but I haven't heard anything funky yet (unlike my Vado). Indoors, it sounds good. Outdoors, it picked up quite a bit of wind noise during my test; but it was a pretty windy day, so I won't be too harsh.

** Good image stabilization: This was huge for me. My Zi8 makes me look like I have a nervous condition. The E-10 is pretty stable though. It's not perfect, but this is a camera that I'd feel fairly confident shooting with while I'm walking.

** Swivel lens: This really won me over. I was "meh" about it when I purchased the camera, but you can do some pretty neat stuff with it. More than anything, I like that I can swivel it around and shoot video of myself while still looking at the screen.

__________________

The Bad:

** Awful Zoom: The zoom feature on this camera is nothing short of pathetic, by any standard. It's only 1x, and to make matters worse, it's slow and jumpy. This definitely isn't the camera you'd want to zoom on-the-fly with (not that you'd be able to see much extra anyway, given the crappy 1x capability).

** No Mic Jack: This is the feature I miss most from my Zi8. Obviously, it wasn't a deal-breaker, but flexibility is always nice

** No port for an AC adapter: I wish I could plug the camera into the wall while I'm recording on a tripod, but no luck w/ this camera. Also, if you want to charge your battery, be prepared to have your camera dangling from the side of your PC. If you're like me, you might want to invest in a female-to-male USB cable and a USB wall adapter.

** Touch Screen: Call me old-fashioned, but I like buttons. I realize that this is probably an attractive feature to a lot of people, though. That said, you'll be happy to know that it works pretty well. It's not as responsive as, say, an iPhone, but it'll definitely get the job done. Also, since there are no buttons, you can play back your videos and pictures on the nice big screen, so I guess that's a plus.

** Uses MicroSD cards: I just don't like em. Also, Amazon is suggesting full-sized SD cards to go with this camera as I write this. Don't buy one!!

** Doesn't come with an HDMI cable: If you wanna hook your camera up directly to the TV, get ready to spend more money.

** No Webcam feature: Unless I'm missing something, forget about using this camera with Skype and whatnot.

(Most of this stuff, I'd consider minor drawbacks though)
__________________

Extras that I don't really care about, but don't mind having:

** Stills: Take up to 8MP photos. It won't exactly outwork my digital camera, but I'll definitely get some use out of it. You can also snap pics in the middle of a video.

** Panorama mode: This feature is awesome. Just hold down the shutter, turn your body and you can get some beautiful wide stills.

Overall: a pretty solid device. I'd recommend it. This is easily my new favorite pocket camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really nice camera - we love it!, January 7, 2011
This little video cam is great. Best thing about it - IT WORKS GREAT ON OUR MAC! We don't quite understand some of the negative reviews out there - can't imagine what some people expect?? The advertising and features seem to skip over MAC compatible, but it works just fine on MAC. Now you don't get the "PC" software features, but don't need them. We use an iMac G5 with 1.8 Ghz PowerPC running Leopard 10.5.8 . The E10 Camcorder plugs right into a USB on back of our Mac. Turn the camcorder power on. A desktop icon (Folder) appears with a user manual to easily download, and folders containing your videos and snapshots also appear. The Mac automatically pulls up iPhoto and importing snapshots is simple. You can close iPhoto if you're only working with videos.
You can select a video and it opens Quicktime to play it - but the quality isn't perfect. HOWEVER, you can open iMovie and import the videos, it does take about 4 to 5 minutes for each minute of video to import into iMovie, but that's not a big deal because when you view your videos on iMovie they are PERFECT! IMovie can splice, edit, cut, your videos, etc. Also, once on iMovie you can email a video. Additionally, there's no problem uploading a video to YouTube, either directly from the CamCorder folder, or you can copy videos from the Camcorder folder to your desktop. (We created a new folder to copy videos into) - then upload them to YouTube, or import to iMovie.

The quality of videos and snapshots are nice. We have no problem taking good videos and snapshots in moderately low light either. This is a VERY SIMPLE camcorder to operate! We almost bought the "FLIP" because my sister's works great and is Mac compatible - but she has concerns about easily damaging the lens which is unprotected - and we read several FLIP reviews where people accidentally broke and/or scratched the lens (which is not a replacable item). The Samsung's rotating lens also works to protect the lens by rotating to the up position then you can carry the camera in your pocket full of keys, coins or whatever, and not worry about scratching the lens. We definately would recommend this camcorder to our friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good resolution, easy to use, December 6, 2010
Product seems easy to use, uploading files to computer is a snap with USB, also charging. Screen when shooting is small, no opportunity to zoom. Get a large SD card to have memory to shoot longer. The HD resolution is great and you can't beat the price. So slim, easily fits in your pocket. Everyone thinks it's a cellphone.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't get better for the money, June 4, 2011
I wanted to get a pocket camcorder and I've read many many reviews. There are a lot of these small devices out there, all in the $80-$150 price range. Each one has its own pluses and minuses. So, finally, I decided to buy the HMX-E10.
After testing it I can tell you guys the pros and the cons.

Not good:
1. In low light conditions(i.e. night) it drops frames, although this might be caused by the low-speed micro SD that I'm currently using. I'll update this review after I buy a class 10 micro SD(ASAP).
2. It only came with a software CD and a wrist strap. Nothing more.

Could be better:
1. Picture quality. They're not great; however, they're better than what I get from my Milestone 5mpx camera so that's fine.
2. The mic isn't placed very convenient, as you might put your finger over it when holding it. But I got used to it.
3. The menu is kinda slow, but it's not such a big deal since you won't be playing with the options so often.
4. Auto-focus. When you point at something far away and then you want to film something close, like 1-2 meters away, it takes 2-3s to focus. But when it does it's superb.

Good:
1. Video quality. Even though it only records at 25FPS, if you use it outside, during the day, it's fantastic. Very sharp and it does not drop any frames. If you have a shaky hand you might miss an image stabilizer, but honestly it's not that bad.
2. Sound quality. If you get used to the issue I explained above, the sound is good. I still have to test it more thoroughly, but I don't think I will change my mind.
3. You can shoot photos while filming.
4. Excellent for vlogs because of the rotating lens. Great feature, love it.

I don't think you can get anything better in the money. The video and audio quality is very good, and that's what you want from this type of camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Portable Camcorder!, November 29, 2011
Length:: 3:16 Mins

Ordered this product the other day and it got here fast. Better than what I expected from reading the other reviews. Have been playing with it for about a couple of hours now. Many said the still images weren't that great well that depends on the photographer. This camera takes some incredible still images and video is HD. Shot some video at 720p & 1920 x 1080p and the quality is outstanding. Crystal clear and the low light video isn't half as bad, but, better with lights of course and more than passable in low light. Was looking at this one and the Bloggie and saw some YouTube clips of the Bloggie in low light and figured it for a waste of money. Loved the Bloggie design.

I do own a regular video camera and my smartphone is Samsung at 5mp the video is about 720p and really good. This HMX-E10 does step the video quality up quite a few notches. Overall a pretty good buy and I ordered during the Black Friday weekend so I got it for an outstanding price. Would I recommend this to someone, definitely. Take a few minutes and learn the product first and it helps if you read the manual. Oh, don't expect much from the included software on Win 7 it is buggy and has crashed twice, not a big deal my laptop reads it as a storage device so I can just open folders as normal and drag files on to my system. Haven't tried an upload to Youtube or video sharing sites yet straight from the camera. Lucky me I had a Sima ST-10T mini tripod already from a Digital Camera I own, so I can just attach it to the device and film away. Get a SDHC quality micro SD card that could be the difference in good video quality and mediorce.

3.0 out of 5 stars Looked Good Until, May 21, 2011
I read all of the reviews before buying this. I bought it back in February, used it for one weekend trip and the battery or whatever internal problem it has started acting up...and now it won't even turn on. I can't return it because that window of opportunity closes in less than a month. It's a shame because it's brand new, I love some of the functions, but I'll never get to use them. I had to buy a wall plug in since you can only charge this camcorder through your pc. I planned on vlogging so if you go out of the country or have gaps in between your trips ...it's going to be impossible to charge it. This was a risky buy and now that I bought all the extra cords... I feel like it was a waste since the battery (or other) died on me in less than 3 months. I should have returned it when I got the chance because it lagged early on but people wrote in their reviews that it is touchscreen and not up to speed compared to an iphone. Now I'm stuck with this useless camcorder.

If you want to try it out, remember to keep all of the original packaging so you can return it! Maybe it was just mine with the problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought it for a dashboard cam, July 1, 2011
I bought this specifically to use as a dashboard cam because of the 1080p resolution at 30fps, low 2.2f stop lens for low lighting, compact size and swivel lens to adjust the POV out of the windshield. The touchscreen design helps in adapting the body to a cradle for easy mounting (a western digital passport cradle glued to a sticky pad and velcro strips on the cam). An 8gb micro sdhc class 4 will hold 55 minutes of video which is approx. the battery life unless you keep recharging it frequently before driving. In actual use it gets warm from exposure to sunlight. The video quality in daylight is excellent. At night, the streetlights, parking lot lights and headlights do illuminate well, although the reflective license plates are nearly whited out. The small size keeps it from blocking the driver vision and the small screen is not overly distracting.
Since the charging port is the pop out USB probe, this may be useful as a mounting option in a DIY docking station since it does record while charging.
All in all, it is a fun DIY project to see if a dashboard cam can be important for driving safety, incident recording, or sharing the strange encounters on the road.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, April 2, 2011
Terric little camcorder, great price. Be aware though that you must also purchase a microSD card, the unit does not come with one and you can't record without a card.

5.0 out of 5 stars my little samsung camcorder:-), April 1, 2011
I didn`t know what to expect when i signed in to Amazon to look for a video camera and I was really surprised to find this nice, handy, mobile look-alike, video camera! I read the reviews after i bought it which although it wasn`t a wise move, it proved to be a pleasant purchase. I`m so happy with my little video camera! It`s really cute and I was really proud to show it off, I was showing it to everyone. I was so proud that no one owned a camera like mine! I was avant guard at last!!
Got nothing whatsoever to complain about. The pictures come out lovely and also the videos,and the battery goes a looooong way!!
hope u enjoy yr purchase as much as me:-)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›