on July 1, 2011
Pro . . .

- EXTREMELY easy to use (press button, set your zoom)

- overall, "FOR THE PRICE POINT, and only for general HDTV motion picture recording," (not still photography) it's better than most in this price range

- I was glad to have it on a recent trip to Alaska - it is awesomely portable - easy to use even while "zip lining"

- surprisingly decent motion picture quality (720P works fine for most and was what we used for most of our trip)

- stabilization worked! extreme zoom closeup though still requires supporting the camera (hand holding the camera while zoomed all the way in, esp. in the digital zoom area requires support to get a stable picture - I viewed this a reasonable - The optical zoom was pretty stable with reasonable care in hand supporting the camera)

- I really liked the built in lens cover

- AS with MOST SAMSUNG products in my opinion, the unit is EXTREMELY well designed as far as the "human interface" (We own/have a lot of SAMSUNG products/appliances, etc.)

- I won't even try to review all the different video modes - (I guess I'll call them "designer modes") - I'm most interested in, and have a use for, the time lapse mode but haven't tried it yet

Con . . .

- forget using the camera for MOST "QUALITY" still photography - It DOES work, but it has some odd pixelation in my opinion

- detail suffers in most types landscape still photos - portrait may be OK for many users

- forget rapid focusing, esp. in lower light levels - it's simply sluggish - it was "good enough" in bright sunlight

- I ended up turning off the "switch grip" feature - many test recordings ended up flipped upside down - I can only assume SAMSUNG will upgrade the firmware at some point, but it was definitely a problem on my camera

Bottom Line...

- In this price point I still buy this camera again - It's just too handy - It takes "decent" HD video and was reliable other than the "switch grip" feature which I disabled (that feature had issues on my camera - others have reported the same issue)
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 23, 2011
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I needed a new video camera to take videos of my daughters dancing. WOW! I have to say this camera was PERFECT! I was nervous about what to get because I wanted something easy to use as I am not a huge 'techie'. This camera was ridiculously easy to use, light weight, fit perfectly in my hand, the quality of the video was wonderful and the zoom was outstanding. It was stage performance so I was concerned about the distance to the stage and the fact that the lighting would be an issue but it was not at all. After I was done, I plugged the camera right into the TV and viola, it was there. I will say two things that I did notice... 1) on a 44" HD TV the picture wasn't totally perfect, but on my 27" MAC it was great. 2) when you zoom in when there is low light it does take a second to focus properly, but it wasn't horrible. Also when I inserted the SDHC card right into my Mac the video played perfectly in Quicktime and uploaded fine. No additional softwear needed or anything. I highly recommend this camera! For less that $200, this camera is a steal!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 22, 2011
Color Name: Black
I was looking for a full HD cam but under $250. I thought I hit the jackpot when I saw this for $299. Full HD, sub compact, excellent lens at f1.8, this was a dream com true! Then I woke up. The lowlight performance isn't that great. Even with super low light selected, and a 1.8 lemse. Best performance is dependent on how much light you have (duh!), but by early evening and with dusk light, you'd think you shot video with an iPhone. Switch grip is a bit fidly. In more Thames one occasion, the image stuck after switching which required me to turn the cam off, then on to gain back control. Once also, the autofocus had a hardtiime switching from a sunny to shady area while on telephoto. It tried several times, but after 30 sec, I had to do the on off routine to reset it. Not good for those instant priceless moments. Hasn't happened agin tho, so I'm Hopi g it's a fluke. On the plus side, it's one of the most comfortable cams to hold. Hardly weighs more than a cell phone. Battery life is good. You get just under 2hrs worth of full HD video with a 16gb card. Wait till it goes on sale. At $299, it's still an ok cam tho.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 8, 2012
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
Purchase: Samsung HMX-Q10 HD Camcorder Ultra Compact with 10x Optical Zoom (Black)

My wife and I are new parents and were looking to document our daughter and her rapidly growing bag of 'new tricks'. My wife doesn't care if we have an HD camera but seeing as I bought it for her, we got something HD. I wanted a decent HD camera for a blockbuster price. After looking at tons of cameras and reading reviews and camcorder buying guides all over the internet I settled on this one.

The camcorder is portable, classy looking and functional. The display size on the touchscreen is adequate and the menu controls are simple and easy to use. In fact, I was quite pleased to discover how well the touchscreen works.

The battery life is excellent. I've been able to stretch it to between 4 to 5 hours.

I disagree with other reviews that stills are 'horrible' but still recommend using a camera for still shots. It is capable of doing still photos and the quality is decent but you would do much better with a camera.

For HD cameras in this price range the companies that manufacture them have to make trade-offs and as one reviewer said Samsung made better trade-offs than other brands at the same price point.

There is an occasional issue with the auto-focus but nothing that can't be quickly fixed. It usually happens to me when I forget to open the lens cap. For a few seconds after the lens cap is opened it struggles to find an object to bring into focus.

A word of caution. Because the Q10 requires a flash card and does not have any built-in memory I recommend being careful in your selection of flash media. You will want a card that has excellent transfer speeds or you will notice some studdering/blurring in recordings where there is a great deal of movement.
on October 20, 2011
Color Name: Dark BlueVerified Purchase
I can say that this camcorder is the best of all of them. Don't be fooled by any bad reviews,OK! If these people were to spend 10 minutes reading the manual, they would not have any issues with this item. Logic applies here, as one review shows the person trying to focus on the light switch plate in the other room, and it does not focus on it. Well, if he read his manual, of any camcorder really, you would find the difference between optical zoom, and digital zoom. And for the people that say it has bad lighting issues should really read their manual, because it has adjustments for this in the settings menu. How can you state all these issues, when you haven't compared camcorders side by side with proffesional tests from people that are smart enough to read the manual? I bet they cannot even utilize 80% of the functions on their cell phones either. It is a whole lot harder than operating a camcorder. For the money you can get this camcorder for, there is no other camcorder that can come close to it, except the sony. But be prepared to spend 250 for it. This one is for people who want to have a camcorder that cant pay 500-1000 dollars for one. It's not the best by far, but it compares to any that are double the cost of it. So buy with confidence, and be your own judge! Just read between the lines of reviews, and read the manual!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 18, 2011
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
This camcorder is so light and so easy to use. The video and photo qualitty are amazing. It`s a must have product for those, like me, that always looks for the best cost-benefit ratio.
The only downgrade is the poor battery life. It lasts only 75 to 90 minutes. So, you will need 1 or 2 extra batteries during the day if you are a heavy user.
on June 3, 2011
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I had become dissatisfied with the video quality of my cheap SD camcorder, so I decided to upgrade. I'd seen an article about the Samsung HMX-Q10 in an online magazine, and it looked interesting. I generally thoroughly research reviews and articles when making a purchase like this, but the HMX-Q10 had just been released, and there were hardly any reviews. I know Samsung has a fairly good reputation for their HDTVs, so I took a chance.
Most of the time, video shot with this camera is good, but the camera is quirky and it doesn't always do what it's supposed to. For example, the flip feature, where you're supposed to be able to shoot right or left handed simply by rotating the body, doesn't always work. A couple of times it looked like it was working, but when I imported the file it was upside down.
Also, the low-light performance is nothing to write home about. It can take awhile for the autofocus to engage.
Though this is a decent machine, if I had to choose again, I'd spend more time researching alternatives.
on July 1, 2011
Color Name: Black
Had this camera almost 2 weeks. It's ok outside in the sunlight if there is no wind. Any wind at all makes the video sound terrible. In the house without real bright lights the video is grainy. In 10 years from now when I want to watch video taken now I don't want to look back at bad quality. The first video camera I bought 22 years ago that used vhs tape has better indoor quality than this camera.

Auto focus also works sometimes then sometimes not. My living room is 25' wide, normal inside light from windows, patio door etc. I was standing at one end. Tried to zoom the double light switch on the other side of the room. The camera would not bring it into focus.

I was hiking, cloudy day, not in a forest but through the trees, camera wouldn't focus on my family 25' away. Also wouldn't focus on a wild turkey standing 30' away. If I'm at a graduation or wedding or any other important event I don't want to have to worry about if my camera will focus on it or not.

I took the camera back to where I bought it and got my money back.

The video is of the example above about the light switch.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 15, 2011
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I compared a lot of camcorders before I decided on the HMX-Q10. After reading reviews on models from many different manufacturers, I decided to give this one a try. I was very impressed. I shot some sample videos at home before using it to film my daughter's chorus concert. When I watched the videos on my HDTV, I was very impressed at the picture quality, even at high zoom, and the whole concert was in low light. The sound quality was extremely more clear than I expected in an auditorium. The image stabilization is no worse than other camcorders I sampled, and was far better than some. Overall I was very happy with this purchase. I am further sold on the Samsung brand, they continue to bring high quality electronics.
on May 18, 2011
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
Camcorder is reasonably priced and takes very good HD videos, but even though I have a Dell XPS computer with 4 GB RAM, it is not powerful enough to run the video editing software that comes with the camcorder. Playback on the software skips, stops, and I have been unable to run it. I was able to edit my videos with Roxio Creator 2011 without difficulty. So, be sure your computer is powerful enough to run this software. Samsung HMX-Q10 HD Camcorder Ultra Compact with 10x Optical Zoom (Black)

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations