5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the best TV of 2007 for the price
Moving to a new house and am buying two new flat panels for living room and bedroom. I had assumed that LCD was the best technology currently available, but after a lot of careful research, found out about the new Samsung Plasmas, the 54/64 series in 50" or 42" sizes.

Published on May 11, 2007 by J. D. Robinson

I bought this TV on Amazon on August 7th. By the time it got delivered and I set it up was about 10 days later. There were some sound issues as others describe, sound drops etc, Then on October 5 picture
stopped working. The very first call to customer service that night was
the last good experience I had with the company...

I have called the company...
Published on November 21, 2007 by Thom

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the best TV of 2007 for the price, May 11, 2007
This review is from: Samsung HPT5064 50-Inch Plasma HDTV (Electronics)

WOW! This is an amazing set. I am very picky about what I buy, but at the same time try to spread my $ around so that I can have decent components for everything. This TV is in the sweet spot for bang for the buck. I thought that I would really be missing out by not having a 1080p TV, but this thing is truly amazing.

I am running an HD Tivo from DirecTV (HDMI), an Xbox 360 (component), PS3 (component) and Wii (component). They are all amazing, and for the money I saved on not getting 1080p or LCD, I am able to get a 4254 for the bedroom.

The two main differences between this unit (5064) and the other model (5054) is that this one has a slightly stronger anti-glare shield and can view photos off of a USB stick. If you have a 360, you won't likely use this functionality anyway. The stronger anti-glare shield is great if you are putting this in a bright room with lots of windows, but if there is not going to be glare on the tv, go with the 54 series because the glass is clearer due to less heavy glare shield. I will say that the glare shield is really great - my old rear projection Sony reflected every light in the room, this plasma doesn't reflect anything even with every light in the room on.

The fit and finish is top notch, plenty of inputs including 3 HDMI and a PC input. Take care to break your plasma in properly, don't watch too much SD tv with black bars during the first couple hundred hours, at least stretch the picture. This TV is best suited for HD input, it looks fine on Standard Def, but that is not what it was designed for.

If you are in the market for a TV, and your price point is in the "just below $2000" and you want a 50" this is your TV. Smaller size/price point? Go with the 4254 or 4264 from Samsung. You won't regret it.

- Update (2/14/2008): with the price hovering just over the $1,000 mark, this thing is an even better buy. 8 months later and no complaints. -Josh

- Update (2/8/2011): Power supply blew. TV was still chugging along until that happened. The good news is that I found the power supply from an online parts shop for $70 and instructions from a forum and downloaded the tv service manual in PDF form so plan to fix it myself. Paying Samsung certified tech to do it would be about $400, not worth it for a 4 year old TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Thoughts on the HPT-5064, September 13, 2007
J. Carter (Boca Raton, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung HPT5064 50-Inch Plasma HDTV (Electronics)
The HPT-5064 is one of CNET's top 5 rated plasma HDTVs as of this writing (9/13/07), and with good reason. This TV has all the major features at the right price point in today's market, making it a strong contender on your shopping list. I shopped every LCD, DLP and Plasma in this price range, and the HPT-5064 emerged time and time again as the #1 choice.

Let's get something out of the way first - you're probably going back and forth between 1080p and 720p TVs, trying to figure out if 1080p is worth the premium. Quick calculation - at this size (50"), you're supposed to be sitting at least 10 ft. back. At that distance, your eyes won't be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. So, my advice - buy this TV. If you can't sit at least 8-10" back, if you've got the patience of a monk and are willing to wait for 1080p prices to fall to 720p prices, or if you're one of those people who never buy anything for fear that there's something "better" out there, go for 1080p. Then again, you may get hit by a truck tomorrow, and 1080p isn't going to do you much good then, is it? Your headstone will say:

While He Was Waiting For 1080p
Got Hit By A Semi Going 73

Like something out of Disney's Haunted Mansion. You know what I'm talking about. Also replace "He" with "She" if you are a girl. I would have put "He/She", but that's a strange construct with all kids of linguistic baggage that I avoided in the name of brevity...even wit, if you could call it that.

The best advice for technology is, "Don't buy the hottest thing - buy yesterday's hottest thing". Why? Because technological upgrades aren't exponential, they're incremental. You're paying for a lot more than you're getting at the time. Meanwhile, prices on yesterday's hot thing are dropping faster than the housing market. Look at Apple. You buy something, and as the UPS guy is ringing your doorbell, they cut the price in half and release a new model. Apple's cool, though.

Enough philosophy. Here's what I love about this HDTV:

* Fantastic, natural-looking picture with no macroblocking, ghosting or blurring. Coming off a 32" LCD that suffered from all those problems, I'm very happy. Colors are perfect. Blacks are black (not CRT black, but CRTs aren't 3" deep either). Contrast is amazing. Feed this thing high-quality off-air HD channels, your Xbox 360 or PS3, HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray, or 480p DVDs, and you'll be impressed. Standard def, as expected, looks like standard def stretched out over a 50" screen. If that's your thing, go for it, but I don't suggest it. This thing thrives on a diet of steady HD content. Go to your parent's house if you want to watch...I dunno. I was going to say Sesame Street or Antiques Roadshow, but even public television comes in HD now, and your parents probably have an HDTV, so my joke has no punchline. Go to your parent's house anyway, your mom misses you and will probably make you a sandwich.

* 3 individual picture adjustments for each input with three modes - Dynamic, Standard and Movie. Dynamic (also known as "torch" mode or "store" mode) will make your eyes bleed, just don't do it. Standard is great for brightly lit daytime viewing (though tends toward the blue spectrum), while Movie features the greatest amount of adjustable values, and fits the bill as the default setting for discriminating viewers (see CNET's website for settings that are just about perfect). Any adjustments you make to the three modes are kept in memory for each input. It's a tweaker's dream. Just don't drive your significant other crazy trying to determine if "48" or "49" is the best color value. (P.S. - it's 48...or is it?)

* Burn-in protection. Go ahead, admit it. You're worried about burn in. You've read the reviews that say that burn-in is overrated, but then, right there on the forum, man, is a dude who took a picture of his brand new plasma with the CNN logo permanently etched in. If you're worried, Samsung threw in a few modes that can help you prevent and erase burn-in. I take the whole burn-in issue with a grain of salt, from both sides. Just like with your old CRT, you shouldn't display any still images for an excessive amount of time (multiple hours), but watching a letter-boxed movie one night isn't going to ruin your television. Just use common sense and don't leave Bioshock or your TiVo on pause for 6 hours with the TV on. And run the modes every so often, it can't hurt.

* Style - this TV looks better than its step-down model, the HPT-5054. The speakers are hidden beneath a thin bezel on the bottom of the set. It's also glossy. I'm not a glossy fan, but good luck trying to find a 50" plasma that isn't glossy. It's like trying to find a bathroom when you really have to use the bathroom. In other words, it's hard to find. Maybe I didn't look that hard. I guess if you really have to go, it doesn't matter if you find one or not. A bathroom, that is. It's also got the anti-glare screen and the USB port for showing pictures and what not. The TV, that is. I don't know of any bathroom that has a USB port, but hey. They're putting USB ports in just about everything nowadays, so who knows. Maybe I just gave somebody an idea. Which I won't get credit for. Again.

* Viewing angle - you can walk right to the edge of the bezel and this TV gives a perfect picture with no washout.

Other random advice: If you've got the room, go for this or a bigger set. Never settle for smaller when it comes to HDTVs. If you've never had a big set before, you'll get this thing home and say, "Dear God, what have I done?" like a mad scientist who has just seen his monstrous creation come to life. However, after a few days, you will acclimate to the size, and may even say to yourself, "I could have gone a little bigger." Then, one night, you will watch your old TV and say, "You are puny, and insignificant." And maybe you will make-believe that you are crushing your old TV between your thumb and forefinger with one eye closed, because it is really that small that it can be crushed in such a manner. Don't worry, your old TV doesn't have feelings. But you do. And you are sad that you paid almost half of what you paid for the new TV for the old TV. So you stop crushing it. And maybe you pout your lip a little. Maybe not. I'm just saying get the bigger TV, that's all, try not to read too much into it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, May 23, 2007
Steve (Manhattan Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung HPT5064 50-Inch Plasma HDTV (Electronics)
I shopped endlessly for an HDTV at all of the retail stores, and I was pretty much set on Samsung for quality and price. I finally decided on the 50 inch 5064 and I am so glad I did. It looks beautiful, just mesmerizing. My signal is from Verizon FIOS for the HD with an HD-DVR through HDMI connections.

The order was filled within one week and the delivery company called me to arrange a time the next day. They arrived on time, unboxed the unit, moved my old 36 inch CRT (240 pounds) and set up the new plasma TV, all in about 10 minutes. The crew was very friendly and professional. All in all I saved money and had a very pleasant purchase experience.

The only problem is that I can't stop watching it! It's great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be happier with my first HDTV - Samsung 5064, July 11, 2007
havoc752 (Philadelphia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung HPT5064 50-Inch Plasma HDTV (Electronics)
I've been hunting for a HDTV for months. This would be my first HD set, so I tried to educate myself as much as possible before making a purchase. I read magazines, CNET, and customer reviews from CNET, Circuit City and Amazon and looked at hundreds of sets in stores.

Initially LCD looked like the best choice for me between LCD, Plasma, and Rear projection TVs. I was looking to spend about $2000 with a size of 46-55" but the biggest determining factor for me was picture quality. I wanted the best picture quality I could get for my money. I was leaning towards a 1080p LCD TV, and I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a Sony Bravia KDL-46v2500. However, I read a lot of negative press about backlight clouding / mura effect, which was a deal-breaker for me buying an LCD. Check out the AVS forums for more details about this...totally turned me off to buying an LCD.

So, I decided against LCD because of backlight clouding, and also the motion blur clearly seen with fast action. Rear projection didn't make the cut either, as it appeared to have the worst image quality of the 3 HD formats. I finally settled on Plasma because I wanted a TV that would have minimal motion blur for sports, as well as having a nice contrast ratio so I could watch movies and play games on my Xbox 360.

After looking at plasmas in person, the best two TVs at Best Buy looked to be the Pioneer PDP-5070HD and the Samsung HP-T5064. The Pioneer had a few more features including a CableCard, but a higher price tag. I personally thought the Samsung had a sharper picture than the Pioneer, and I think I made the right decision based on all my factors.

The 5064 looked great in the store, and hooking it up at home did not disappoint. I currently do not have any digital or hi-def cable hooked up, I have the coaxial cable plugged directly into the TV. The built-in QAM tuner picked up a number of broadcast stations in HD, like CBS, NBC, ABC and others. I watched the Travelers Championship (Golf) in 1080i on CBS, and it totally blew me away. The picture is CRYSTAL CLEAR. The level of detail is incredible, and the colors really pop. The flesh tones of the golfers looked great. The fine details of the landscapes and greens of the golf course were extremely sharp. Even standard def cable is quite good for an HDTV, much more tolerable than most HD sets I've seen.

I also watched a few DVDs through component on my Xbox 360. I was very impressed with watching Sin City and Goodfellas, even in standard 480i. The level of detail is great, and I expect even better results when I purchase an upscaling DVD player. Overall the picture quality is very, very good - everything I wanted in my first HD set. Colors are accurate, bright, and vibrant.

Playing 360 on this TV with game mode was jaw-dropping. I played Burnout Revenge in 720p, and it looked great. Very clear, bright, and detailed. I recently loaded up Gears of War and played split-screen with a friend, and all I can say is wow.

The menu-systems are intuitive and very user friendly. I was impressed with the amount of picture quality controls available. There are many options to customize the picture to your personal preferences. I suggest using movie mode, as it offers the most options for fine tuning.

Samsung also included a number of screen burn protection modes, which will prevent or reduce the likelihood of burnt-in images on the TV. I have yet to see anything burnt in to my display, but I have been cautious to make sure that doesn't happen. As long as you don't leave a DVD menu on for 8 hours, you should be fine.

One other pleasant surprise was the speakers on the TV. I was expecting low quality because the speakers are thin and hidden in the bezel. They are however much better than most tube and CRT TVs I've owned. The clarity is good, and the level of bass is decent. You'd be a fool not to hook up a home theater system to this TV, however. I just hooked up an Onkyo surround sound system, and in combination with this big screen TV, it really creates the home theater experience I'm sure most of you are looking for.

Two final details worth mentioning, this TV has PIP and a swivel stand. Many HD sets do not include picture-in-picture, this TV does. I have not tested it a great deal, but I am certain I will be using it in the future. The 5064 also includes a swivel stand, allowing the TV to be turned about 20 degrees in either direction. This feature is usually only found in LCD displays, and I definitely did not expect it!

So far I have been EXTREMELY satisfied with my purchase, I highly recommend the TV for anyone shopping for a plasma in the $2000 price range. Only negative thing I could say right now, is the anti-reflective coating on the screen could be much better. I suppose it does reduce some reflections, but I've still seen some glare. Otherwise a really fabulous set with great features and incredible picture quality.

I got a great deal on this set also. I purchased my 5064 from Amazon for $1875 with no taxes and free shipping. Getting a 50-inch plasma at this price would be unheard of a few years ago! I was a bit apprehensive about buying a TV online, but Amazon made it an extremely smooth transaction. The TV arrived within a week. The delivery company was quick and courteous. Overall, I was satisified with the experience, buy with confidence from Amazon!

Also, sorry for the long review, but after reading reviews for months I wanted to be as helpful as possible for other people shopping for an HDTV. If you're in the market for a new HDTV go with this Samsung - you won't be disappointed!!

Two more things:
To minimize the chance of screen burn in for plasma TVs, make sure you turn down the contrast and brightness for the first 100-200 hours. Also try to minimize the amount of content you watch with black bars (i.e. movies, 4:3 content) for the first 100-200 hours. Avoid any static or still images if you can. Set pixel shift to 4:4:1, you can find this option under the screen burn protection modes.

Google or search the AVS forum for:
Zippy's "Officially" Unofficial Samsung 54/64 PDP settings,tweaks and tips thread
Here you will find some picture settings of how to calibrate your 5064

I sincerely hope this review was helpful, and I wish you the best of luck in your search for the perfect TV, I found mine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Judder audio drop issues fixed making this a steal of a deal!!!, October 6, 2007
This review is from: Samsung HPT5064 50-Inch Plasma HDTV (Electronics)
Get firmware 1039 and that will fix the judder and audio drop issues making this a steal of a deal. If your watching from 10 feet back as you should. this tv will look just as good as a 1080p your eyes can't tel the diffrence from that distance.

Make sure you type samsungplasmatvfaq into your browser of choice for a weath of information on this product!

I don't know why amazon keeps kicking out my review for mentioning the website becuase it is very helpful for owners of this tv. you will learn display setting and get a lot of tips!

use zippys setting for first 150 hours and enjoy a great tv! use amazon and watch for 30 day price drops and go for no tax/free shipping! enjoy

1.0 out of 5 stars The TV Broke after 7 weeks & still isn't fixed!! Samsung has terrible customer service., November 21, 2007
Thom (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
stopped working. The very first call to customer service that night was
the last good experience I had with the company...

I have called the company 47 times. I have spoken to at least 20
different reps. I left over 20 messages for the director of customer
service with no call back. I have tried to get in touch
with, my local service rep, no contact. I have worked with
Customer service, Executive Customer Service, Case Management, and the
return group. It is impossible to get senior level call back or response.

My TV broke on a Friday, was picked up on the following Tuesday. The local
repair company came ill prepared and took the TV away.
Although I had all the packing materials and the original box, they chose
to put in the back of a truck unsecured, (after asking a 67-year-old woman
to help carry it!).

It came back 2 ˝ weeks later after replacing "4 boards". When we plugged it
in, the sound no longer worked. The company again took it away, this time
in the back of a car. I called customer service and when they tried to
reach the repair center, their number was discounted.

A week later the TV came back - The sound still did not work. I kept the
TV and decided to take my chances with the corporate customer service
group. I attached external speakers.

I was promised an exchange and then found out it was back ordered until
early December. Last week I was called and told that I was approved for an
upgraded TV since mine would be backorder for some time. November 19th was
the estimate ship day. Good thing since this past Friday, the picture on
the TV broke again! I just called today and was told yet again, that the
TV is backorder until the first week of December, after that it will be
about 14 business days until I see it.

At this point, I can't get a refund for weeks..I can' get a TV for
weeks...and I have no working television, and no one in the company, has been of any help.

Do yourself a favor and steer clear of this set and Samsung.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quit after 3 months - Poor warranty service, December 11, 2007
rayorleans (suburban Chicago) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung HPT5064 50-Inch Plasma HDTV (Electronics)
I bought a Samsung HPT5064 in mid August because i thought the picture was fantastic.

Mid November it quit. I'm still waiting on the repair. Samsung customer service keeps saying they first try to repair. Have been on the phone with them several times.

I think they should have replaced a unit that was only a few months old.

Based on the warranty service alone, I'd recommend going with a brand other than Samsung.

12-14-07: They attempted to return my TV and struck it hard enough on the truck to break the front glass. Took TV back to repair shop. Samsung keeps referring me back to the repair shop (which refuses to replace it).

-Mitch Deason

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon/Samsung/Eagle, awesome!, September 15, 2007
This review is from: Samsung HPT5064 50-Inch Plasma HDTV (Electronics)
Well I'm back. Initially my review had been a disappointing 2 stars. I had ordered this product from amazon and had scheduled delivery of the tv on a saturday. Everything was ready, my wall mount, my hd cable box, etc. The eagle guys came and everything was going good. They unpacked it, and lo and behold, a massive crack right in the middle of the sexy screen. As well there seemed to be a dent in the back as well. So, with a heavy hand I signed a denied delivery statement on the shipping record and they took the tv back. This happened Saturday, Sept 15th, 2007. I had ordered this tv on Sept 6th. I thought to myself, great, another 9 slow days of waiting.

After a few phone calls with Amazon, I was assured that I would be getting one soon, and not only that one of the customer service reps said he would do everything he could to make sure I could get the tv before the next NFL Sunday (I really didn't believe him, but it was nice of him to say). So, tracking my order, I saw that they had set up the order on Sept 17th. Looking at my previous experience, I expected to get my tv on the 26th (9 days). With the help of eagle's tracking system, I was able to track the set, and to my surprise, it shipped the next day, and by Friday, the 21st, the tv had already arrived in Chicago! Amazing!

PRO TIP: In the 2 experiences I've had with Eagle, often times they scan an item when it arrives in their facility, but it may take them a day or 2 to give you a call to schedule an appointment for delivery. Using their tracking system found on this website: [...] you can track your package, and when it says arrived in whatever city you are in, be proactive and give them a call and they will set you up with a time to deliver. One of the things you might have to do is to navigate their website to find the phone number to their local office close to you. My tv showed a arrived status in Chicago on the 21st. I called and was able to schedule delivery that day, for the 22nd!

So, the next day, Eagle arrived, and it was the same 2 guys from Eagle from the last week, and they remembered me, and were very nice. They commented that hopefully everything would be good when they unpacked it. They removed the tv and it was flawless. They took away the box and the packaging and said if I had any questions to contact amazon. Very nice guys. Overall, I would rate Eagle 4 out of 5. I understand that sometimes things happen and that's what happened to the first tv. Both times though, the delivery guys were courteous and professional.

Now onto the tv. First of all on the outside, this thing is just sexy. Its very sleek and its clean lines really draws attention to it. When mounted on the wall, it looks amazing. As expected, SD channels look ok, they are kind of grainy and that is to be expected. The HD channels and upconverted DVD picture is brilliant. Very crisp and I couldn't stop watching it during football Sunday with everything on HD. The anti glare is great and it helps when you are watching in a bright well lit room. One of the things that I like is the three picture settings, Dynamic, Movie, and Standard. Dynamic is for sunlit rooms, standard for regular light, and movie settings are for rooms that are completely dark. Also, as someone else mentioned, one of the other features I like is that it makes a small beeping sound when you turn your tv off. This helps to know that you actually turned off your tv as opposed to turning off just the cable box.

PRO TIP: While looking through CNET, I found some optimal settings that they used for the Movie settings:

Below you'll find the settings we found best for viewing the Samsung HP-T5064 in a completely dark room via the HDMI input with a 1080i source. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference.

Picture menu:

White: 15

Setup menu:

Game mode: Off
Energy Saving: Off

Overall, even with the first few challenges that came about due to the 1st broken tv, I had a great experience with Amazon, Eagle, and this TV. I understand that this review is usually meant for just the TV, but I figured I post about my overall experience of buying this tv and owning it, from Amazon since that is what convinces someone to buy from here anyway, not just the rating of the TV. So, to sum up:

Samsung HPT5064 - 5 stars out of 5. Incredible tv for its price. I love it. Sexy.
Amazon Customer Service - 5 stars out of 5. Thanks for being patient while I yelled. You guys really came through in the end.
Eagle - 4 stars out of 5. Even with the first debacle of the tv, your guys were polite, understanding and professional. Great job!

Hope that my review helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Picture Quality, Excellent Value, July 15, 2007
James121W39N (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung HPT5064 50-Inch Plasma HDTV (Electronics)
I bought this plasma TV from Amazon a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. Before I talk about the TV, let me say that buying from Amazon was an excellent experience. The transaction was fast, and the trucking company that delivered it -- Eagle Freight -- delivered it way ahead of schedule, brought inside my house, unpacked it and made sure it arrived in good condition. All in all Amazon was great to deal with.

I chose a 720p plasma for a couple of reasons. At first I was on the 1080p bandwagon but after more research found that since my sofa is 14 feet from the TV, my eyes would not be able see much difference between 720p and 1080p at that distance. So why pay more for 1080p? Also, no broadcast service has any plans to broadcast in 1080p. None, nobody. It will be years, if ever, before 1080p gets broadcast. So why pay more for 1080p?

I looked at a number of 50-inch plasmas including Panasonic, Pioneer, Toshiba, LG, Vizio and Samsung. To my eyes the best pictures were found on the Pioneer and Samsung. The Pioneer plasmas have wonderful color rendition but seem to be a little soft in the focus, not as sharp as the others. Panasonics seem to have a slightly reddish hue that I don't care for. I won't mention LG and Vizio. The new Samsung -- this model -- impressed me with a highly balanced image: it has bright but realistic colors (unlike LCDs, which are too bright and cartoonish) with a sharp, clear image.

The HPT-5064 has a very good user menu. Each input can be customized -- in other words, you can set color and contrast for HDMI while having other picture settings for component, etc. There are so many settings that it is a little overwhelming at first. I like the "Standard" and "Movie" modes: you can set color, tint, brightness and contrast for regular viewing; for watching movies at night in a dim room, you can have custom picture settings that are less bright.

Using a home theater computer and a good Nvidia graphics card, I found that even though the TV is 720p, it will accept a 1080p signal through HDMI and properly downconvert. 1080i and 720p through either over the air or DirecTV look stunning on this TV.

There are a bunch of other features on this set that I won't go into because this review is too long as it is. The USB port is handy if you want to show some pictures from your digital camera (easiest way is to buy a little adapter with USB male on one end and accepts the camera's SD card on the other).

Are there any negatives to this TV? A couple of minor issues. One is that switching inputs -- say from HDMI(1) to HDMI(2) -- takes several seconds with some awkward shapes on the screen. The other thing is that some ticker tapes (horizontal scrolling stock quotes or sports scores) can be jerky and not as smooth as I would expect. Other than these minor flaws the Samsung performs great. Watching movies and especially HDTV is an "eye candy" experience. With standard DVDs I get the feeling that the Samsung is showing all of the picture information that is available -- you get a real sense of the limitations of regular DVDs. The 5064's compatibility with 1080p makes me confident that once Blu-Ray DVDs become more commonplace and reasonably priced, the HPT-5064 will show an excellent image at 720p or 1080i downconverted from 1080p.

All in all I think the HPT-5064 is an excellent value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best value available right now, July 10, 2007
This review is from: Samsung HPT5064 50-Inch Plasma HDTV (Electronics)
Just got this tv last week. Ordered it on Amazon and it came in five days, was perfect out of the box, EGL delivered it on time and set it up on my TV stand. The TV is great! Lots of great features and by far the best value for plasmas on the market today. I did a lot of research on Phillips, LG, Vizio, Panasonic, Sharp and the Samsung 5064 picture blew them all away (the Pioneer 5070 is a slightly better picture but it's $600 more, and the quality improvement doesn't warrant such a higher price). I'm running it on Direct TV HD, which looks great, and an OPPO Upconverting DVD player. Here's some important things to know about this tv: the picture settings need to be adjusted to get the best picture. Samsung's DNIe feature in Dynamic Mode is way too saturated (which is the factory setting.) The best picture setting is turning off DNIe and switching to Movie Mode. Also, the SHARPNESS SETTING DOESN'T WORK ON ANY SAMSUNG PLASMAS!!! That's right, the sharpness for some reason doesn't change when you move the sharpness cursor (as was confirmed by Samsung's Level 2 technical support)...it's not that big of a deal because the factory setting is pretty accurate, but if you like to play with your sharpness setting this TV isn't for you.

The price has dropped twice since I bought the TV two weeks ago and Amazon has refunded accordingly. All in all a great set but you do have to play with the picture settings to get the best quality picture.

Samsung HPT5064 50-Inch Plasma HDTV