5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent overall value, better sound than I expected
I was originally planning on getting the 6500, but couldn't find one locally. During that search, I ran into a store that had one 6600 left and it was on sale, so I went ahead and got it. The only apparent difference that I've found is the 6600 has Bluray 3D capability, but other than that they seem pretty identical.

Setup was relatively easy. Everything is...
Published on November 18, 2010 by S. Morsell

3.0 out of 5 stars Good System - WiFi is Not "Buit In"
I purchased this when it was on sale during black friday week and just recently set it up as it was a Christmas present.. Why bother saying that, well, I probably should have researched a little more before making the purchase, but it was a really slick deal and well, I just went for it.
Published on January 2, 2011 by D. Salerno

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent overall value, better sound than I expected, November 18, 2010
S. Morsell (Anchorage, AK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung HT-C6600 Blu-Ray Home Theater System (Electronics)

Setup was relatively easy. Everything is color-coded and Samsung has their own little speaker wire plug, so it's hard to screw up. That makes it easy, but more difficult to do any kind of customization of your own with other speakers. The speaker calibration seemed to work pretty well, although now and the audio track randomly gets out of sync on occasion, requiring a re-boot to reset things. So far this has only happened when I've been watching the DVR, so I'm not sure if it's specific to that device or input or not.

I have my Xbox 360 and HD Cable plugged into the HDMI inputs, and it plays everything well. It's great playing games in surround sound, too. That adds a whole new dimension to the gaming experience. All of it is running to a 50" Panasonic plasma TV, which has one of the best pictures in the TV business to begin with, so the video quality is awesome.

I expected the sound to be marginal at best, coming from a bit of a home-theater customization background. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it actually sounds, though, particularly when playing DVD or Blurays. Don't get me wrong here, though. This provides the most basic of surround sound, which still greatly enhances watching movies, but it does not provide the same depth of sound as much more expensive and more powerful systems. That said, the subwoofer does get low enough to simulate most sounds, and the rest of it sounds pretty good. Dialogue is the best part, as this is actually sometimes the hardest part of a soundtrack to find a happy medium for comfortable listening without having to keep the remote handy for turning it up and down as the scenes change. The Samsung finds a balance between action and dialogue where you don't have to constantly adjust things, which is proof that they have the auto-calibration down pretty well.

I have mine wired directly to my home network. I didn't even bother with the wireless dongle, as I've yet to use one that works to my expectations. Even with a wired connection to a 10gb connection, I experienced Netflix issues. The entire internet-based menu and apps system is sluggish at best, so I will probably only use the internet for firmware updates. I believe this is a Samsung issue, not my internet, for the simple reason that I can watch full HD Netflix movies through my Xbox wirelessly with no issues at all. And that's fine with me...I still play them through the Samsung surround sound, so it's not a loss, although it would be nice to see Samsung come up with a fix to smooth things out.

There are various apps and whatnot you can play with online, but the remote is clumsy and poorly designed in my opinion. It lacks any intuitive way to type, for one thing, which limits what you can do efficiently on the web. You have to create an account at the Samsung app store, and another at their internet@tv or whatever it's called site, and I just haven't had the patience to sit through it all. I have enough computers and apps already, so I guess I'm happy with just being able to play Blurays in surround sound for now. :)

For the price, I don't think you can beat what you get with this system. $450 and it does almost everything. I do wish it would tell you what resolution it was outputting to the TV and what kind of sound it was playing in (i.e. DTS, Dolby 5.1, etc). As far as I've been able to discover, there is no way to tell if it is truly playing the encoded surround signal.

Pros: Price, good sound, easy setup, better than normal auto-calibration system for speakers
Cons: Confusing remote, unexplained slow-down in internet signal run through system that makes using Netflix almost impossible.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good System - WiFi is Not "Buit In", January 2, 2011
This review is from: Samsung HT-C6600 Blu-Ray Home Theater System (Electronics)
That being said, the number one reason I decided on this particular system was the Wi-Fi "built in" option as listed in the product description. Dongles/adapters suck. They always have. I did not want one so I bought the one system on sale at that time that said "built in Wi-Fi." Well, built in means that the dongle came in the box rather than having to purchase one separately. I thought about sending it back immediately on principle, but I probably should have done more homework before buying so I just decided to give it a shot. (I'm sure it says "built-in" = adapter somewhere else-- like say in the other reviews here)
First night: Set everything up, let software upgrade, wireless worked, netflix worked. Sounds GREAT, I mean it, it really sounds good for the sale price.. Ok, I thought, not so bad, at least I didn't need to run more ethernet wire...
Day Two: Turned it on, went to try pandora (which is great on this by the way) I got an error that it couldn't connect due to "Network Interference".. Ok checked network settings, only "wired" was an option. Unplugged and plugged in the dongle.. It gave me "wireless" as an option again but did not recognize any wireless networks.. Long story short, the dongle fried itself or was just on the edge of self-destruction when it was thrown in the box.. I spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME trying to get it to work. I would not have spent this kind of time if it weren't for the fact that it actually worked at first. Anyhow, first call to Samsung. Not so great. Nice enough tech but her final recommendation was to buy another dongle. I stayed polite and non-confrontational and just asked if she was sure that this wouldn't be covered by warranty. She said yes. Well, ok, I thought she is wrong and thanked her for her time. I decided to just wire the thing to my laptop and try updates/see if there was newer firmware/etc.. Also it allowed me to try chat support. Both times, they were very quick to respond and nice enough. No earth shattering troubleshooting but they did explain how to reset the unit to factory default (hold down the stop button for 5 seconds while there is no DVD in it..) Cool. I did that, tried the dongle some more.. etc.. no luck so they gave me the number to call for tier II tech support--> this number is just the regular customer service number and there is no option for tier 2 in the menu.. Ok.. I got another tech and asked for Tier 2.. She (Kasey) said she could try some stuff and ok I went for it. SHE WAS GREAT. I mean it, truly a breath of fresh air in the oft malodorous world of "support". I am perfectly ok with the the win some lose some sort of attitude one must have when calling tech support/customer service for anything. Every company has some really good people answering their phones --> it's just rare to get someone so good on call 2.. Anyhow, she listened to what I had tried, suggested a few things to rule out errors elsewhere, and then just sent out a new dongle for me to try. Perfect.. No unnecessary nonsense, and it is good to know that the first tier people you get at samsung are empowered enough to actually issue replacement parts without having to talk your way up the chain-- You just need a bit of luck for who answers when calling in I guess.
In the interim, I just ran more cable and I have the unit running that way. It works great this way so I doubt i'll even use the dongle except to maybve see if it just incinerates itself as the previous one must have done.
Short Version for the rest of the review:
Features: Five Stars - Netflix, Vudu, Pandora, You Tube, all work great and great quality! Nice.
Wi-Fi: One star - not as advertised - not "built in"
Sound" Four stars - very admirable for the price
Error Messages: One star - they really are terrible-- there were more I encountered, but saying "Network Interference" as an error message when the unit doesn't even recognize that the dongle is plugged in is just absurd.. They should just say "Error" for everything as that would be about as useful as the error messages that they actually give and at least won't mislead you.
Coolness Stuff: The WLAN adapter port on the back is just a USB port.. This is cool because you can throw a memory stick/poratble harddrive back there full of pics and a videos or whatever and just leave it there out of site.. There is a USB port on the front as well which is designed in a way to prevent you from pugging in the WLAN dongle in the front.. However, plugging a hub into it would allow you to use the front though i don't know why you'd want to other than for troubleshooting (I was testing to make sure that it was the dongle and not just the usb port on the back)
More Coolness: I have plugged three different brands of USB memory stick and 2 different portable hard drives into it and it recognized all of them and allowed quick access to music/pictures/video etc... (also a network hard drive) I cannot comment on what formats it accepts, but it seems to have good coverage..(though it did not recognize a .wav file)
One big plus, my videos folder on my portable hardrive crashes windows explorer on my Xp laptop and on an Xp desktop but it does not crash this unit.. Nice!
Overall, I am very happy with the system now that I have the internet wired. I can't give it more than three stars though because it is not really as advertised and the dongle fried itself.
If they actually had the wireless built in and it worked, it'd be five stars for sure...
Please, please, please Samsung, stop using adapters/dongles/whatever... I know it is a money making thing, but it very nearly resulted in a return and still would were it not for the other good features of this product.
Anyhow, as long as you know that you are not actually getting built in Wi-Fi, you should be very happy with this system.

3.0 out of 5 stars Has some trouble initially, but now I am enjoying this player, except for the Netflix app, November 27, 2010
This review is from: Samsung HT-C6600 Blu-Ray Home Theater System (Electronics)
I bought this unit 3 days ago from a brick and mortar store (BB). Last night I hooked it up and in testing it noticed that the left speaker is not working very well, actually barely working and very muffled. I was so dissapointed. The system does have some good Audio setup features and tests to run. I ran them all which enforced that the speaker is defective. I switched the left and right speakers to see if the problem stayed with the speaker or if it could be a wire problem or the output connection on the blu-ray. The problem stayed with the speaker. I am also curious if the sub woofer is not working properly either. This is the first time I have owned a sub woofer and I don't know how loud they are supposed to get. This one is not very loud at all. When I go into setting and adust db levels from +6 to -6 the sound barely changes. I called Samsung support who verified I went through some troubleshooting steps. They said my options were to send the speakers AND blue-ray unit in for repair. I laughed in his face. He gave me another option to call Executive Support when I asked for a replacement. That suppport center was closed and does not open until later today. I will post an update as to what they will do. I did play with the unit a bit last night and am very satisfied with the way the working speakers sound. I love how it integrates with my TV via Anynet, but am dissapointed that I still need to use two remotes. The blue-ray remote doesn't have useful buttons on it like Favorite channels or even Channel list. If you want to browse the TV stations it has to be a manual up and down or choose the channel by the numbers! This will make us the TV remote. The TV remote doesn't have all the blu-ray options. Oh well. Perhaps one day I won't care when I get a cable set top box w/DVR.

The wireless on the unit works well. I was worried most about this feature. Easy to setup and found my network. I even updated the firmware and installed some Internet apps. I do have to say though that the Internet app interface is a bit unattractive and trying to type letters and numbers into the remote is too difficult. I will mainly use it for Netflix and Vudu and Pandora. The iPhone/iPod dock worked too. The interface on that was a bit unattractive as well and it didn't bring over any album covers. I would have liked to use the iPhone interface to control the music, but you only have the option of using the remote and TV interface to choose playlists, albums. (I think, I didn't play with it too much). I played a DVD (no blu-ray yet) and it worked well and looked great. The FM radio worked too, but I didn't play with it very much and did not see if I could load presets, etc. I will update later unless I have to take the unit back.

Update: 12/17 - So Executive Support ended up being a pretty good experience. The lady I spoke with sent me, free of charge, both a new left speaker and subwoofer. It took about 14 days to arrive and they work great. I didn't even have to send in the defective speakers. The system sounds wonderful. Very happy with quality. I have played blu-ray movies and they look awesome. I am disappointed in the Netflix application on this unit. It is not reliable and sometimes will need to reload 3 times during a movie/show. Most of the time it hangs and the only button on the remote that works is the off button to the player. I am still not positive about where the problem lies. I thought it could be the Netflix servers, my wireless access point (only G not N), or the player itself (wireless USB device). Well, after playing with the players options, I believe it is the Netflix application on the player. The other applications do not hang or require constant reloading (youtube, Vudu) and my wireless signal is reliable for those other apps too. The signal is not going through any walls either. My other friends say there Netflix apps don't have this problem so I am ruling out the Netflix servers too. I just think the Netflix app on Samsumg blu-ray players just need fixed. I am hoping software updates will someday make it more reliable. I will also mention that even though Youtube is available, I will never use it. The interface to input keywords using the remote is more of a pain than you can ever imagine. Not worth it. Based on this update, I am upping my rating from a 2 to a 3. If Netflix was more reliable, it would be a 4, but Netflix is the main reason for the Internet access.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Value and sound when it works, December 1, 2010
This review is from: Samsung HT-C6600 Blu-Ray Home Theater System (Electronics)
This device is package excellently with a blu-ray player, internet capable and surround which is what appealed to me. I was however disappointed with a number of things:

Cons:
- Intermittent flickering of video when I play dvds or other video
- I had to reset the device numerous times as the sound even after being calibrated was terrible
- Whenever I setup internet updates my sound get ruined and I have to reset the device
- Registering the device so that you can use samsung apps like netflix is not obvious and I had to research on line to find out how to do it. In the end you have create a samsung.com account and add your device's serial number to your list of devices. Only then can you access samsung apps
- Apps selection and functionality are terrible. The only decent apps available are pandora and netflix. They don't even offer Amazon Video On Demand which was a BIG disappointment. Other apps like piacas from google or accu weather don't even work
- Viewing video from ipod requires you to run composite video instead of running over the existing hdmi, so you have to run yet another cable. This was buried in the manual
- No threads on the back of the speaker to use a proper speaker wall mount.
- Pictures on your iphone are not viewable which is misleading as the product is advertised as being able to go through pictures
. bluray automatically starts up when I try to go to the menu screen where I access internet.

Pros:
- Sound, when it works its awesome!
- super sleek design that looks awesome and doesn't clutter a room
- 2 hdmi inputs which is really nice so you can run it with your cable tv
- Very easy setup
- There is aux inputs and composite video so there is plenty of room to use different devices like a laptop or vcr
- compact speakers

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid but needs a few extras, September 18, 2010
This review is from: Samsung HT-C6600 Blu-Ray Home Theater System (Electronics)
Pros: Good sound, relatively easy setup
Cons: For my home network, the wireless connection was not reliable. I had to switch to a wired connection using a Powerline connector from Netgear. Also, had to buy a separate rocketfish rear wireless speaker unit to allow cord free rear speaker connection. Lastly, if streaming HD programs from Netflix, make sure you have at least at 5Mbps download speed or you'll be getting a lot of buffering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really versatile home theater system., October 9, 2010
This review is from: Samsung HT-C6600 Blu-Ray Home Theater System (Electronics)
I recently purchased the Samsung HT-C6600 from Sam's Club. I really like this product. Hook-up is easy, the sound is great. The Blu-Ray player plays Blu-ray discs, regular dvd's, DIVX discs, MP4 discs, mp3 cd's and dvd's, and audio CD's. The USB front input allows the playing of mp3 files and mp4 or divx movies on thumb drives or memory cards in a usb card reader.

I have not used the LAN or wireless features.

The two HDMI inputs are great for my satellite receiver input and a DVD recorder.

I highly recommend this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars a company that does not stand behind its products, December 27, 2010
This review is from: Samsung HT-C6600 Blu-Ray Home Theater System (Electronics)
We bought Samsung's home theater system. It worked reasonably well for a very short while, before the receiver suffered a debilitating hardware fault. Samsung accepted that the unit was defective and repaired it. Eighteen months later, the issue rematerialized, but Samsung refused to re-correct it - irrespective of the fact that their repair job didn't last.

Numerous calls to customer service achieved nothing more than unfulfilled promises that a manager would call us back, and the following message (almost verbatim):
"due to normal wear and tear, it is unreasonable to expect Samsung products to last longer than 18 months."

4.0 out of 5 stars Great System For the Price, December 16, 2010
This review is from: Samsung HT-C6600 Blu-Ray Home Theater System (Electronics)
The Samsung HT-C6600 is a great product for the price that I got it for. Some reviews gave it a low rating because of the sound. I thought that the sound sounded great and that that it was clear and crisp enough for me. I am not an audio file so it could be just ok for some. I think that it is a great start if you don't have a system now.

One issue that I did have was connecting it to my existing Linksys 54GWRT Wireless Router for Steaming Internet and Computer files. I have recently purchased a new Wireless Router because my Linksys is going on 4 years. Hopefully, that will fix the issue. Good buy and I would recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Input source problems, October 25, 2011
This review is from: Samsung HT-C6600 Blu-Ray Home Theater System (Electronics)
Great system except for one glaring flaw. If you have a Samsung TV and a cable box or satellite box that isn't Anynet compatible and you use HDMI cables to connect everything, the input source will always default to Digital Input. As a practical matter what this means is that no matter what remote you use to control the system, you will always have to also grab the Home Theater remote and change the input source. Total pain in the rear. See the following discussion thread on Cnet. Thought a harmony remote might solve the problem but it doesn't.

2.0 out of 5 stars Defective, September 14, 2011
This review is from: Samsung HT-C6600 Blu-Ray Home Theater System (Electronics)
I purchased this unit in January 2011, largely due to the Samsung name (I have three Samsung widescreen monitors, a Samsung BlackJack II, Samsung Epix, .... the list goes on). Based on price and input, the unit seemed about perfect. At the time, I only needed two HDMI ports, though in retrospect, additional ports would be convenient. This is the first receiver I have purchased, so I can't provide comparison to other units on the market.

The pros of this device:
- The hardware setup was easy. The speaker cords are color coded and fitted, the ports on the back of the device are accessible.
- Netflix works out of the box and is easy to connect.

The cons of this device:
- Switching between inputs results in a noticeable delay in receiving audio. Sometimes it can be up to 15 seconds before the sound starts coming through.
- Occasionally after switching between inputs, no audio comes through at all. To fix this, you have to cycle through all inputs, or power the unit off.
- The iPod/iPhone dock does not allow music to be played in shuffle, which largely makes this feature useless.
- The speakers do not have a standard mounting mechanism, meaning that most wall mounts will not work with them. While you can simply hang them on a fixed wall screw, you then can't angle the speakers. The work-around I used was to install decorative shelves (the cheap wooden kind you can buy at Target) and sit each speaker on such a shelf. Unfortunately, this means I can only adjust the speakers horizontally, not vertically.

The most significant issue with this unit (and the primary reason for the review) is a defect in the receiver that resulted in significant audio echoing. Whatever device was plugged into the second HDMI port produced serious echoes (think "watching television while in the bathroom" and you're right about there). This started occurring about 6 months after I purchased the device. Samsung support was polite and professional and didn't make me jump through too many hoops before instructing me to mail in the device for repair. The device was gone for three weeks, and returned fixed. However, the same echoing problem is now occurring with the main receiver input (for example, watching Netflix on the receiver). Samsung is instructing me to mail the device in for repair again, and is not offering to replace the unit with a new one.

The fact that this device has had a serious defect occur twice within nine months of purchase makes me think that it won't be long after the warranty expires that I'll have to buy a new unit. So buyer beware on this one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›