4.0 out of 5 stars Great sounding system although misleading about 7.1
Published on May 2, 2012 by Elliott J

1.0 out of 5 stars FORMERLY Nice System with Some Significant Drawbacks
UPDATE May 30, 2012

Published 17 months ago by Charles

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sounding system although misleading about 7.1, May 2, 2012
This review is from: Samsung HT-E6730W 7.1 Channel 1330-Watt 3D Blu-Ray Home Theater System (Electronics)
Let me start off by saying I have a very keen ear. I rate many audio setups and speaker systems. All true audiophiles know that a HTIB just simply cannot replicate the sound quality of a component system made up of true, high-quality manufactured speakers. That being said, you will not find a closer alternative than this new Samsung system with vacuum tubes. I have owned 4 HTIBs from different manufacturers and I have found Samsung and LG to be at the top, with Sony coming in close behind LG.

Audio - The main reason one would spend this amount of money on a system is for the audio. You want your blu-rays, video games, audio cds and mp3's to come to life and spring out of every speaker. Does this system do that? Absolutely. There is no denying the work that Samsung has put into approaching the high-end audio side of things. These speakers clearly sound better than previous Samsung systems and I feel for people who purchased last year's D model of this system. Of course, knowing Samsung, by next year a new version of this will be out and I will be feeling sorry for myself for this purchase. But that's the market. Always something coming out that's better and that is another downfall of HTIB's. Every year they improve upon the previous year's model and the old model is left in the dust. Component systems have longevity and are able to be upgraded as the owner sees fit. But as I stated earlier, you will not find a better alternative to a component system, at least not right now. Also note that the dual-unit subwoofer is bigger, louder, and way clearer than previous year samsung models. The "boom box effect" that many people complained of is not present with this sub. It produces the highs and lows accurately.

Video - Personally, I feel that blu-ray is clear on any player and that the quality of your video will depend on your television set. I have tested over 20 blu ray players from many brands and while some elements may have been different such as the ability to darken or lighten the screen, or a complicated menu style, the raw blu ray presentation stayed relatively the same. So I cannot advocate purchasing this system based on improved video quality over any other blu-ray player or last year's model for example. Same goes for dvd upconversion. It seems exactly the same as last year's model, although, there are some blu-ray players that do upconvert dvd's better than others. Samsung is pretty good with that on the 4 players I tried out and they were consistent with each other.

Features - There are many apps, including a full web browser but I found it to be choppy and slow. I'll stick to my laptop for surfing the web, although it is a nice idea. The other apps are just like previous years models and have nothing new that I care to comment on. I could not recommend buying this system strictly for the web apps either since many blu ray players, tvs, and HTIBS include different variations of each one.

Worth the price? No. This is where I must warn potential buyers. First off, this is NOT a 7.1 system. Sure there are 7 speakers and a sub, but the 2 front speakers on the top of the towers are simply mirrors of the speakers under it. If you do not have the system in 3D sound mode, nothing will come out of these top 2 speakers, even if you are viewing a blu-ray with a 7.1 audio track selected. This is clearly a marketing scheme by Samsung to trick people into believing they are getting a 7.1 system. The speakers sound great though and the subwoofer does seem to get louder with the 3D sound enabled. Also, there is an equalizer so one may adjust certain settings if they are familiar with what each khz setting does. I am, and I found it to be useful and it made a difference with the material I was listening to.

Overall, I would say to purchase this system when the price goes down to at least 5 or 6 hundred dollars, but by then, next year's model will probably be out and will improve on this year's somehow. Still, for those curious about the vacuum tube amp addition that Samsung made a huge deal out of, I would say that it does significantly improve audio so it is not just a big hype. But this is not a true discrete 7.1 system and that is a disappointment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sounds good for what it is., April 8, 2012
I've always been a seperate component owner. This is my first HTIAB, I was searching for wireless rear speakers, a much better option for me than just a soundbar (this is for the living room, I do have a Vizio VHT 510 real 5.1 soundbar in the bedroom, works great).

For starters, it's not a true 7.1, it's a 5.1. There are only 2 physical side/rear speakers, not 3 or 4 for a true 6.1 or 7.1 (they are claiming that the top speakers on the two front towers make it 7.1 but virtual, that's just BS, who puts rear speakers on front towers) Naughty advertising there Samsung, shame shame. Also be aware that it comes with a passive SW, not self powered.

That being said, I was surprised how good it sounds. Very clear speakers, and for a passive SW not bad, pretty beefy.

The real surprise here and good news is that the wireless rear speakers work incredible (still need wires to the rear transmitter though), well done there Samsung.

The player/receiver worked smooth enough, it allows you to manually set speaker distance and levels.

I would recommend it even with it not being a true 7.1 and it being pricey.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best sound quality, October 3, 2012
Well... I bought this product from another store last week but leaving my review here because Amazon is the only place with comparably bad reviews of this model based on some wrong information.
Actually, I visited many review sites before I bought this great product and the reviews on Amazon really made me hesitate to buy this one.
But, now I'm very satisfied and want to leave my review here.

Firstly, the sound is really good, the best one among those I've ever tried in this price range.

Secondly, it is 7.1 channel. I don't know why the others wrote that it is not.
Please compare this model with HT-E6500W. It is 5.1 channel with the same speakers.
However, this model, E6730W, has additional top speakers hooked by separate cables.
Those top speakers are really working thru separated channels.
The only difference from the traditional 7.1 channel system is the location of the speakers.
Those top speakers faces to the ceiling of the room and makes the similar effects as those traditional 7.1 channel speakers placed both sides.
Even though it comes with 6 speakers, the front speakers have top speakers working separately.

People may have different preferences but I think it is still 7.1 channel. That's the fact.

Again, I was surprised by its exclusive sound quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound and 3D, April 3, 2013
I bought this unit mainly because I wanted a reliable 3D Blu Ray player and I have been pleased with Samsung units in the past. I also had been informed that the audio system needed to be compatible with the 3D system in order to offer the best sound experience. If not for this I would have kept my existing sound system and just bought a 3D BluRay machine. The unit is a good performer but the only drawback I have found so far is the construction/finish which is black, glossy plastic. Micro static dust attraction is definitely an issue with this product. However, since it does not effect performance at all, I can let this slide. I just have to clean it more often than I would like to.

1.0 out of 5 stars FORMERLY Nice System with Some Significant Drawbacks, February 21, 2013
UPDATE May 30, 2012

Item No.4 below has gotten worse. Now the left rear channel crackles, distorts badly, and cuts out on EVERY program with Surround Sound. The unit is out of warranty. I spent a few hours on the phone with Samsung, being escalated two times ultimately into their "Executive Support" level, explaining the problem three times and imploring them to solve it equitably for me. They refused, saying since it's out of new unit warranty they "can't" do what I was asking. They mean they "won't." I see now why numerous buyers of other Samsung products have said that Samsung support is terrible and they don't stand behind their products or take care of their customers.

No one, not even the Geek Squad at Best Buy, will service this Samsung home theater system, certainly not in-home and not even by carry-in to the store. The only thing you can do is spend a few hours disassembling the complex array of wiring, find a way to box all the components, including big, heavy, unwieldy speaker stands (one of the selling points for me was the tall front speaker stands, now a liability) so that it won't be damaged, ship it AT MY EXPENSE to Samsung, which risks having them deny ever receiving it, taking forever to turn it around, and sending it back to me unfixed, all of which have been experienced by other buyers of Samsung electronic products. And then if all goes well, taking a few more hours to figure out how to reconnect all the wiring. Not to mention being without a home theater system for all that time.

This system is now useless to me. Now I have to go out and look for a compatible home theater receiver; maybe I can salvage the speakers. I am so mad at Samsung right now I can't see straight. STAY AWAY from Samsung. And I'm thinking of throwing away my Samsung Galaxy cell phone too. I don't want any part of them.

--------------------------------------------
This is an exceptionally good looking system. The sleek black components really shine and look very nice. I especially like the very tall front speakers, which are able to frame my TV set nicely even though I have it set up high.

The TV image is excellent. Sound quality in general is about average, nothing special, although I expected better for the price. It does sound good at very high volumes though, without noticeable distortion.

I was able to get the WiFi connection to my home system set up very fast, and it was a snap; I had been afraid that it would be long, complicated, and difficult.

Samsung technical support was responsive and helpful when I called them and asked for detailed assistance and hand holding. However they were not able to solve a major problem, described below.

Here are the things I don't like about this system.

(1) The passive subwoofer is much too weak. I had to go out and buy a powered subwoofer to replace it with. And I couldn't find one whose impedance matched that of the passive one, and I hope the mismatch doesn't lead to big problems in the future. The system does sound nice with this powered subwoofer. But I don't think I should have had to buy one for a system at this price.

(2) While watching Netflix the system often freezes totally and the only way to unfreeze it is to power it all the way down and power it back up again. I have had to do this up to half a dozen times in one viewing session. It is not caused by the servers on the far end because I have another system using Netflix over the same network and it never freezes. Samsung technical support verified that I have the latest version of the firmware installed. It's just very unstable. It never freezes while I am watching DirecTV, just when watching Netflix.

(3) Again while watching Netflix the video and audio continually go badly out of sync. The unit has a capability to select an audio delay in milliseconds with about a dozen possible choices. But I find myself exiting out of Netflix, entering the Settings mode, moving to Audio, moving to Delay, selecting a delay setting, going back up to the main menu, going to the MediaHub (Internet) mode, waiting for that to come up with all the app icons, selecting Netflix, logging into Netflix, going to their Instant Queue, finding the program I was watching, and restarting it. And there is no way to know how many milliseconds of delay you should use -- you have to experiment with it. And each time you want to try a different setting you have to go thru the entire arduous process. I am sick and tired of doing this. The correct delay setting may actually change over time while watching a single show. And switching between shows on Netflix virtually guarantees you will have the wrong setting and will have to try a different one. It is ridiculous for a system of this type to suffer from this kind of defect. Once again, Samsung was unable to correct this problem, and indicated that it is a known issue with the system and their engineers are currently working on it.

(4) The audio from the left rear channel is weak even when I boost the individual volume setting for that position, and the sound can actually cut out at low volumes when it dips below some threshold. I have switched the speakers and cables between left and right, hoping it was a speaker or wire problem but the situation persists at the left rear position. There is something wrong in the audio circuitry. Although I did purchase an extended service plan it is just too much to disassemble my whole system, find a way to pack it up, ship it to them, and reverse the process when they send it back to me, plus the risk that they won't solve the problem, which some buyers of Samsung products have reported has happened to them.

(5) The cursor keys on the remote control are small and bunched together closely instead of being conveniently spread out a little. So you can't operate it by feel; you have to look at what you are doing, and you have to use extreme finger tips of finger nails on the keys to make sure you don't press an adjoining key accidentally. Again, this is a ridiculous problem to have after five decades of experience designing ergonomically sound remote control devices.

(6) The system is capable of displaying photo files from a flash drive plugged into the front USB port. The quality of the images it creates from my photos is mediocre and there is no mode for automatically resizing smaller pictures so they fill the screen. You have to individually enter a custom mode and select a zoom value, for each and every photo.

Overall, knowing what I know now, honestly, yes I would buy it again, although I bought it at an extreme discount. I don't think it's worth the baseline price though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Constant Video Dropouts, March 15, 2013
William Hines "BH" (Lake Hopatcong, NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
For a long time, I couldn't figure out why the screen kept going blank for a few seconds intermittently when watching TV/DVD/apps. I thought it was the cable box, and worked with the cable co for a long time. Process of elimination points right to this receiver. Still unresolved with Samsung support. Google samsung video dropouts and you will see this has been a problem with their stuff going back to 2009 or so. A lot of frustrated buyers! It's connected to a high end 64" Samsung SmartTV also. So much for hoping for integration by buying the same brand.

It really upsets me to not be able to use this system. I tried using thee hdmi1 and hdmi2 ports, changing various settings recommended by support, many options. Everyone in the house is frustrated that at just the worst time in a movie or sports event on dvd, tv, etc the screen will blank out for a few seconds, then keep doing it again and again. Very upset at spending so much on this system and having to deal with that. Bad decision to buy it.

1.0 out of 5 stars stopped playing DVD and Blueray discs, December 27, 2013
Billie L McMahan (BAKERSFIELD, CALIFORNIA, US) - See all my reviews
Player had trouble playing DVD within 4 months, by the time a year came around it would not play any disc. After spending 3 hours on two separate calls(mostly on hold) Samsung offered to repair. For $110 plus shipping each way. thatswhat I want to do. spend $250 more on something I already spent $750 on. I ordered a new TV at the same time that has worked perfectly. Samsung makes good products so long as then do not break.

1.0 out of 5 stars SAMSUNG CUSTOMER SERVICE SUX, November 8, 2013
I didn't unpack this until recently. I set it up to try out the sound, played portions of a Harry Potter Blu-Ray disc, was amazed briefly at the great sound. When I ejected the disc, I could no longer use the contraption. Regardless of what I do, I get a "Please close the tray." message. The tray open/close button no longer works. Resetting doesn't work.

The Samsung Web site is designed to frustrate you so you go away. I've tried about 8 times to submit a repair request; it never works. I tried email and "Live Chat"...completely useless.

$845.87 down the drain? I'm about to raise a ruckus with Amazon, then the BBB.

1.0 out of 5 stars Constand Video Dropouts Too, October 4, 2013
Jan 2014 Update:
For a period of time the video drop outs seemed to have been less frequent, but with the most recent patch (1019.3) they are back with a vengeance. I have never been able to play DVDs reliably, and now even Blu-Ray discs are having issues. I contacted Samsung support, and after their very brief list of troubleshooting steps I am supposed to send them the unit. The cost for sending them the unit is about $120.00! That is not to even mention that I will be without my home theater for who knows how long.

I have verified the issue is with the Samsung unit by connecting another player via HDMI, and successfully playing discs with issues on Samsung.

Sound from the system is nice (not 7.1 as advertised), but the video capabilities are dismal.

SAVE YOUR MONEY AND LOOK AT DISCRETE COMPONENTS.

I have been experiencing video dropouts, and have by a process of elimination been able to determine it is this unit. I see that others have been experiencing the same thing. I will try reaching out to support, but do not hold high hopes for this.

Simply put I think this unit tries to be too many things, and quality is the sacrifice.

I regret not spending the time and effort to get the individual components versus the shortcut of an integrated unit. Honestly though I was tired of researching just to procure my projection system, but that worked out beautifully.

1.0 out of 5 stars It stopped working after 14 months, September 18, 2013
My Samsung home theater system, HT-E6730W functioned as advertised for about 14 months. Now when turned on, it replys with an error message "Protect" and then shuts down. I do not recommend this model. At this price, I expected a better quality, more reliable home theater system.

Rate and Discover Movies